View Full Version : 3 years ago today...

Corganist
05-23-2003, 02:45 AM
...was the day that the Smashing Pumpkins officially announced that they were breaking up. Just thought I'd go ahead and mention it, since someone is bound to do it at some point today anyways. Reflect and/or mourn as you see fit.

Reyngel
05-23-2003, 03:02 AM
TEH PUMPKENS ARNT BROKEN UP THEY LIVE ON IN OUR HEARTS WE MUST NEVAR BE APART

TIMb
05-23-2003, 05:04 AM
:eek: wow... that long already. hmmm.

pale blue eyes
05-23-2003, 05:46 AM
I remember I was at work when I heard and me and my friend who really liked them were speechless. She missed much of their last show in Philly on May 1 because of heat exhaustion. I felt so bad for her - she kept saying she would see them next time they came to town :(

MstrGhost
05-23-2003, 09:30 AM
A friend told me that day, I wasn't that' into the pumpkins but mcis was my fave album for years (even though it was an "island"). Then I got "oh shit I never understood who I respected those guys until now", then a concert, too much money spent on cds, vinyls, trades -> current days. RIP sp.

El Savior
05-23-2003, 03:08 PM
oh.

sosnumculfer
05-23-2003, 03:14 PM
it was pretty obvioud throughout Machina that it was over.

i know it's a concept album, but cmon:

sacred and profane
heavy metal machine
this time

those songs were kinda like songs to the fans IMO

guz
05-23-2003, 03:27 PM
They opened the show w/ Age of Innocence (not Rock On or Pale Scales) and closed it w/ Mayonaise at the end of second encore.

*sigh*

jczeroman
05-23-2003, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by Reyngel

;)

Nimrod's Son
05-23-2003, 06:10 PM
:eek: http://forums.netphoria.org//showthread.php?s=&postid=348410

i wanna die
05-23-2003, 06:22 PM
im a tRo0 fan as much as anybody here.. but i didn't care about the break up.. it was obvious james and darcy were on a 'different page' with the direction the band was going.. no sense in kicking a dead horse, if you know what i mean

darcy_me
05-24-2003, 04:57 AM

ouh..life goes one

memories_unwind
05-24-2003, 06:31 AM
And on the same day 5 years ago I saw them live in London...what a long time

D.
05-25-2003, 01:43 PM
my dad told me on the 25th. i didn't believe him and, after i had just bought an SP interview CD and a giant Machina poster, then got in a crash and ran out of gas on the way home, he came to pick me up and gave me the clipping in the newspaper.

i still have that clipping, of course.

Nothing/everything
05-25-2003, 05:33 PM
Boofuckinghoo people. Machina was a major disappointment, the farewell tour just an endless amount of the same boring setlists, and just an opportunity for 14 year old screaming idiots to see an SP show.

The smashing pumpkins sucked ass in their last year, it's better this way.

darcy_me
05-25-2003, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by Nothing/everything
Boofuckinghoo people. Machina was a major disappointment, the farewell tour just an endless amount of the same boring setlists, and just an opportunity for 14 year old screaming idiots to see an SP show.

it was a great dissapointment
reality hurts

Ugly
05-26-2003, 12:08 AM
I heard the next day. I remember, I was sleeping on the couch cuz I had this shitty AM job and my sister came down and was like "I got something to tell you about Summersault" (where I had SP tickest for) and I thought she was talking about my cousin or something so I said "yeah, yeah, whatever, its ok, I know." so she left. so anyway, went through the whole day, not checking netphoria and not knowing. the next day I was flipping thorough MuchMusic and I landed on Rick the Temp saying "Yeah, Billy Corgan says the Smashing Pumpkins are breaking up because he can't compete with the Bitney Spears of the world - So here's the NEW BRITNEY SPEARS VIDEO!" It seriously sucked ass.

But I have to disagree about thier final tour. Sure, it was heavy on MACHINA but A) that was thier new album B) it was the only time they were gonna play those songs. And the old school stuff they whipped out was tight as hell. Fuck You, Porcellina, Mayonaise, I Am One, Drown. Thier shows were absoultely crushing live, you could hear the "we don't give a fuck, its our last shows, we're gonna crush you" sonic energy in the shows. Everybody rags on MACHINA era live shows, but I thought they ruled.

np: Fuck You - Metro Dec 2000

El Savior
05-26-2003, 01:44 AM
machina was good. the RTP and S&P weren't very good though.

tootsie
05-26-2003, 02:45 AM

*nods*

i honestly wish i hadnt spent so many years of my life on that cruddy band. it took me a long time to figure out that its just not fucking worth it. they dont give a flying fuck about you or me so why search for that personal connection? the music is what means something, NOT the band.

Eulogy
05-26-2003, 08:50 AM
I wasn't a HUGE fan at the time. I heard about it in the car on the way to a soccer game. I was sad.

But I played pretty kickass, if I remember correctly.

bonsor
05-26-2003, 09:08 AM
i don't remember it like it was the kennedy assassination or anything.

when i heard about it i wasn't surprised in the least. i think i just sort of thought 'finally'. i also thought it was pretty god damned lame that he mentioned britney spears at all. i highly doubt that many people were sitting on the fence between the pumpkins and bubble gum pop and chose the latter. whatever.

If Machina sounded more like Dross, it wouldn't have sucked.

Reyngel
05-26-2003, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by ******

If Machina sounded more like Dross, it wouldn't have sucked.

And yet, Machina still sucked.

bonsor
05-26-2003, 10:07 AM

And yet, Machina still sucked. thats what i said.

Glare Seethe
05-26-2003, 04:42 PM
...the farewell tour just an endless amount of the same boring setlists...

I don't see where you're getting this from at all. The 2000 setlists, when taken as a whole, were easily the most varied setlists they played since the Gish era. Around 60 different songs, overall, in the span of one year. When you break it down, the Fall tour did suck majorly as far as setlist variety is concerned, but the previous three tours (RTP, S+P and Summersault) are incredibly varied compared to previous years.

That is, unless it is the choice of songs that you are complaining about, in which case it's just a matter of opinion, of course.

As far as Machina is concerned, I quite like it. Machina 2, however, sucked, with a few exceptions (Real Love is one of the best songs Billy's written, in my opinion).

sosnumculfer
05-26-2003, 05:07 PM
the everlasting gaze (and even disco king)
stand inside your love
i of the mourning
try try try (and try alt)
this time
the imploding voice
glass and the ghost children
wound
age of innocence
dross
real love
go
here's to the atom bomb (both versions)
speed kills (both versions)
home

the list goes on

machina rules.

Glare Seethe
05-27-2003, 05:30 AM
Originally posted by Hyperbole
...you're kidding, right?

About Machina 2 or about Real Love? Or both?

The majority of the songs on M2 are pretty trite and redundant... There's nothing very memorable on it at all, save for LMGTWTY and Real Love (which I'll get to soon). What doesn't suck completely is fairly bland... there are some okay things on it, but overall it pales compared to Machina, and of course to all other SP albums.

As for Real Love... well, the song is great. The melody is fantastic, the lyrics are lovely and the build-up in the last minute of the song is gorgeous and very powerful. The only thing that's not good about the track is the production - yes, it is way too overproduced. I do like how it has a sort of ethereal feel to it, but it should've been toned down. Still, it's certainly one of my favorite SP songs and I do believe one of the best, too.

Nothing/everything
05-28-2003, 03:12 AM
Originally posted by sosnumculfer
machina rules.

......as much as by the way by RHCP rules.

D.
05-28-2003, 03:25 PM

......as much as by the way by RHCP rules.
lol