View Full Version : was it a cheat to not have Jimmy talk bout Melvoin in the Graceful Swans doc?

Ugly
05-21-2003, 12:36 AM
I mean, it takes the doc. and reduces it to more of a fluff piece instead of actually asking Jimmy to talk about the night Melvoin died. All you get it Jimmy making some vauge illusions to rock stardom, James only says about "Jimmy's drug use ... I don't know if there's a graceful way to answer this question." and James saying that it all got to be too much. There's nothing from Billy on JC's drug use and the night at all. Only for the incident itself you get some news clips and Gooch talking about that night. Its fairly interesting stuff to hear it from another's perspective and Gooch tells the story pretty good (and the editing in that scene is great, esp. with XYU mixed in building tension) But I still think it would have been more hard hitting to have Jimmy actually tell the story himself and have the band's reaction to that night, being questioned by cops, so forth. Too classless and crude to do that?

MonteLDS
05-21-2003, 01:01 AM
the question is even with Melvon death does Jimmy still does the same drugs he did that night

Ugly
05-21-2003, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by MonteLDS
the question is even with Melvon death does Jimmy still does the same drugs he did that night

Nah, whatever JC is or isn't on now would just be salacious. But I think it would have made the doc really riveting if they had Jimmy actually talk about that night and the band talk about thier reactions. Quite frankly, the doc. actually glosses it over and makes it seem like the loss of a drummer was more traumatic than the death of Melvoin and makes JC's final return seem so triumphant. (the first half of Act 5 is dedicated solely to his mad drumming skillz) Sure, he's a great drummer and its a great comeback story, but I don't think that night is given the proper weight it should have.

Boycott Graceland
05-21-2003, 03:56 AM
i think it was better having gooch tell it. it's a more objective account than jimmy could have given anyways. he was on god only knows what kind of drugs and in a state of shock with a corpse in the room.

for some reason, that line gooch says, something to the effect of, "jimmy called me, and he was freaking out and crying. and he said, 'jonathon's dead.'" really sticks with me.