View Full Version : Are The Frogs cool with taping at their shows?

Smiley
05-12-2003, 11:34 PM
I'm not sure if this helps, but um...

I went to see them in 2001. I had heard that they were pro-taping, with one rule - you have to send them a copy of your recording. I heard that Dennis was the one who was especially interested in obtaining recordings. But when I went to see them, I asked Jimmy at the merchandise table, before the show... and he politely said no. He said that they <i>used</i> to have that policy, but too many tapers were lying to them... they'd tape the show and say they would send a copy, and then never send it. That's pretty disrespectful, so I guess the Frogs got turned away from their pro-taping views.

But that was two years ago, so I'm not sure if it's still relevant. If you're not sure, then stealth it. Jimmy said "no" right to my face, but when they got onstage, I still had all my gear with me. So yeah... stealth it if you have to. I wound up not taping that night, I guess because I was a little jarred from my conversation with Jimmy... it seemed like it wouldn't be right to go against their wishes immediately after having a friendly conversation with Jimmy. *shrug*

Smiley
05-14-2003, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by ******
by the way. how long did they play? you remember? i have another commitment that night as well.

In 2001, their sets were about 70 minutes long, I think. Probably about the same now.

Mr MacPhisto
05-14-2003, 01:35 AM
it was about 90 min when i saw them in feburary

The Yelephant
05-14-2003, 02:49 PM
stealth it & send them a copy anyway!

Boycott Graceland
05-14-2003, 06:04 PM
do they play any of their older songs? their last album wasn't very good.

Mr MacPhisto
05-14-2003, 06:29 PM
yeah. they still do.

Boycott Graceland
05-14-2003, 06:41 PM
good. then i might attend this show.

Boycott Graceland
05-14-2003, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by ******
there's an SD one also... i seem to remember you being from there.

thanks, but i'm not 21. you have no idea how many great shows i've had to miss at the casbah because of my age...

Mr MacPhisto
05-15-2003, 12:37 AM
the show i went to sucked. they played songs for the first 30 mintues, and the rest of the time the crowd shouted drunken requests for an hour. jimmy and dennis fucked around and teased the first minute of songs the crowd requested. it was pretty sad. the only good thing about that show was the strokes version of i only play for money.

CandyPotter
05-18-2003, 03:04 AM
It was a great show tonight. Everyone at the Casbah treated them like caviar. I talked to Jimmy a couple times, and yeah, no one was sending them tapes. So the word is ask them at the show. He was very nice, so represent and send them a tape.

Boycott Graceland
05-18-2003, 04:41 AM
Originally posted by CandyPotter
It was a great show tonight. Everyone at the Casbah treated them like caviar. I talked to Jimmy a couple times, and yeah, no one was sending them tapes. So the word is ask them at the show. He was very nice, so represent and send them a tape.

i was considering hanging outside of the casbah tonight. i decided to go see the blood brothers and the locust at the scene instead.

:rockon:

RopeyLopey
02-13-2007, 07:06 PM
sorry for bumping the old thread, but it is Frogs-related...recently there were these SP covers as performed by Frogs recorded during the June 1997 rehearsal. I assumed they were reharsing those for their 97.06.23 show with SP, but when I watched the Frogs show from that date on http://www.thefrogsarchive.com/ , they didn't play any. So did they ever play those Pumpkin songs live or it was only some rehearsal joke?

redbull
02-13-2007, 07:08 PM
you are thinking of the 6/21 video, which is the one on frogs archive

RopeyLopey
02-13-2007, 07:12 PM
you are thinking of the 6/21 video, which is the one on frogs archivebut they are introduced by James and D'arcy and the site says 06/23 :confused:

edit: oh I didn't know SP performed on 06/21 as well. So which one is which now? Is the Frogs video 06/21 or 06/23? So the SP covers will be the other night, then, right?

redbull
02-13-2007, 07:14 PM
its definitely 6/21 - they played metro on the 21st and double door (secret show) on the 23rd

RopeyLopey
02-13-2007, 07:16 PM
its definitely 6/21 - they played metro on the 21st and double door (secret show) on the 23rdthis makes sense. I have no idea what Double Door venue looks like.

redbull
02-13-2007, 07:25 PM
smaller, and i dont think there is a balcony (iirc the metro video has the cam positiioned from the balcony)

NovaFritz
02-13-2007, 08:33 PM
just wondering, i heard on the radio the other day that the frogs claim that the 1979 melodie was stolen from them from a song called "pleasure" or something like that....

do any of you know?
and further does BC and the frogs still have a good relationship?

RopeyLopey
02-13-2007, 08:59 PM
just wondering, i heard on the radio the other day that the frogs claim that the 1979 melodie was stolen from them from a song called "pleasure" or something like that....

do any of you know?
and further does BC and the frogs still have a good relationship?well it is pretty clear he got 'inspired', consciously or sub-consciously, but the 'claim' was done all in jest.