View Full Version : NHL Conference Finals Thread

Crippler
05-06-2003, 10:31 PM
<font color="aquamarine">I know they aren't completely set yet, but they're very close, with only one seed left to claim. Plus, I'm excited, even with my team out of it.

EASTERN CONFERENCE

NEW JERSEY vs. OTTAWA - The best defensive team in hockey meets quite possibly the best skating team in the NHL. Who will prevail? The Devils have had an easier road in this playoff run despite being seeded lower, and their staunch defensive system will face possibly its greatest test against the offensive machine that is the Senators. I'm giving this series to the Senators in 7, simply because they have more to prove than the Devils, and they know damn well if they don't win the Cup now, they probably never will, what with their team under bankruptcy and everything.

WESTERN CONFERENCE

ANAHEIM vs. VANCOUVER/MINNESOTA - I'm sorry, but if Dallas and Detroit couldn't stop the dwellers of the Pond, neither of these teams will. Let me just say, however, that if Minnesota winds up coming back to win their series against the Canucks, it's gonna be one boring series. Ducks in 6.

Feel free to dispute.</font>

what the fuck
05-06-2003, 10:33 PM
anaheim are like the hurricanes of 2003

except the hurricanes didn't beat anybody good except a depleted maple leafs team and the devils, and anaheim just beat the shit out of detroit and dallas. they are unstoppable. i hereby give the ducks the cup

Crippler
05-06-2003, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by what the fuck
anaheim are like the hurricanes of 2003

except the hurricanes didn't beat anybody good except a depleted maple leafs team and the devils, and anaheim just beat the shit out of detroit and dallas. they are unstoppable. i hereby give the ducks the cup

<font color="aquamarine">I was thinking that, too, actually. I'll give the Canes credit though. The one thing that both teams have are a goalie that got ridiculously hot at the right time. J.S. Giguere may very well carry the Ducks to the Cup, virtually single-handedly. The Ducks can claim it's a team effort all they want, but they'd never have gotten this far had he not been a dragon-slayer these first two rounds.</font>

i heart ninjas
05-06-2003, 11:07 PM
well if this handle doesn't get deleted, i will say i hereby agree.

Mooney
05-07-2003, 01:23 AM
i don't really agree that the 'canes had a hot goalie last year. they basically played weekes and irbe straight through. and look what happened to irbe this year. i predict that j.s. giguere will have a forgetable year next year, actually.

now, as for my predicitions. canucks will win game six vs. the wild.

canucks over anaheim in six. and new jersey over ottawa in seven. but seriously, anything could happen. sens vs. canucks would be stellar.

Ryan|Patrick
05-07-2003, 01:25 AM
i predict that i won't care because hockey is lame.

KingJeremy
05-07-2003, 01:51 AM
Devils in 6 games over Senators
Canucks in 6 games over Ducks

Finals Devils in 6 games over Canucks....I hope that the Canucks win. I really do.

Candy
05-07-2003, 02:37 AM
ducks in 6
jersey in 6

ducks in 7!

Mr. Rhinoceros
05-07-2003, 09:39 AM
<font color=#007AAA face="courier new">SENNIES WILL PWN J00!

If they move to Houston, I'm going to widdle myself.</font>

guz
05-07-2003, 12:50 PM
-> z ducks in 6
-> z devils in 5!!!

-> z ducks oust the z devils in 7

Ugly
05-07-2003, 01:47 PM
Ottawa in 4

Vancouver in 4

All-Canadian Team Stanley Cup. US broadcasters signed up for Cup deals begin to throw selves off balconies across America.

Boya.

Nimrod's Son
05-07-2003, 02:16 PM
I'm waiting to pick the west until I see who wins. I would like Minnesota over Anaheim, but Anaheim over Vancouver. Better matchups for them that way.

In the east, expect Ottawa's offense to sputter once they face the vicious D and goaltending of New Jersey. Devils in 5.

Ugly
05-07-2003, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Nimrod's Son
I'm waiting to pick the west until I see who wins. I would like Minnesota over Anaheim, but Anaheim over Vancouver. Better matchups for them that way.

In the east, expect Ottawa's offense to sputter once they face the vicious D and goaltending of New Jersey. Devils in 5.

hahahaha, nice change to the avatar there.

Too bad its gonna be OUTDATED and POTINLESS when they LOOSE! Muha-ha-ha-ha-ha!!

Ah shit, who am I kidding when it comes to denial. In my head the Leafs have already won the finals.

Sean Casey
05-07-2003, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Rhinoceros
<font color=#007AAA face="courier new">SENNIES WILL PWN J00!

</font>

If by that you mean "get punked like bitches," you are correct.

Sean Casey
05-07-2003, 04:31 PM

http://www.dragondata.com/~mich/forum/images/smilies/drink.gif

Mooney
05-07-2003, 04:46 PM

i dunno man, the sens took the season series 3-1. also, a sputtering sens offense would still be enough to get past the devils.

Sean Casey
05-07-2003, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Mooney

i dunno man, the sens took the season series 3-1.

Doesn't mean shit.

Injektilo
05-07-2003, 05:06 PM
I think the ducks have played enough games that the opposition will start to figure them out soon, how to beat them. They do have lots of rest though, esp if the other series goes 7 games... so....

i dunno...

neopryn
05-07-2003, 10:57 PM
Here come the Wild roaring back to prove all you naysayers wrong! Fuck yeah!

Assman
05-07-2003, 11:25 PM
Damn, Cloutier is going to bear a striking resemblance to the goatse guy if he keeps taking it up the ass like this...GAA of 6 in the last two games, and that's if the Wild are done for this game.

Nimrod's Son
05-08-2003, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by neopryn
Here come the Wild roaring back to prove all you naysayers wrong! Fuck yeah!

Not everyone. I picked Minnesota and Jersey for the cup.

Crippler
05-09-2003, 01:07 AM
<font color="aquamarine">Looks like it's gonna be Minnesota vs. Anaheim in the Western finals. Talk about a snorer of a series.

Anaheim in 6, despite the fact that the Wild have developed a knack for coming from behind in series.</font>

guz
05-09-2003, 11:22 AM
I can't believe the Wild came back from 3-1 two series in a row. Crazy. Anyhow, I don't think this series will be such a sleeper. This could turn out to be full of pretty exciting back and forth action...I'm lookin' forward to it. Ducks in 5. (c'mon, they're 8-2!!)

neopryn
05-09-2003, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Crippler
<font color="aquamarine">Looks like it's gonna be Minnesota vs. Anaheim in the Western finals. Talk about a snorer of a series.
</font>
Have you seen any of their games man? These teams are for real.

FearFactory
05-09-2003, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Crippler

</font>

not as boring as the Ducks sweeping the Red Wings was.

guz
05-09-2003, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by FearFactory

not as boring as the Ducks sweeping the Red Wings was. :cheers:

Fathoms (unadored)
05-10-2003, 05:36 AM
Minnosota aren't really that boring of a hockey team. I think what sets them apart from being just another "lull the opposition into a coma" team is their ability to A) skate faster and smarter than 90% of the league and B) Look like they know what they are doing when they get there chances. When they have a rare odd man rush you dont see stupid passes, or pucks missing the net or over anxious players fanning on the shot. They play impeccable hockey. It's really something to watch. Mind you, the confidance in the offensive zone may take a beating now they're finding themselves againse a goalie that might actually stop four of every five shots.

They've got an amazing young player in Gaborik, and Wes Walz who is like the roadrunner on skates. Seriously, Gaborik is a young Pavel Bure but has the work ethic and defensive reliability of a Fedorov. I forsee a good half dozen rocket richard trophies in this kids future.

As for the rest of the NHL. God knows I'm pretty clueless. But here's my predictions...

East. Ottawa in 7. Almost as good as Jersy defensively, and much better offensivley.
West. Minnosota in 7. Clash of the giant killers. All bets are off. I would love too see Kayria in a cup final matchup. Minnosota just seem like a team that is much much better than the sum of its parts. But, if the ducks can shut down the Gaborik line I don't see Darby Hendrikson carrying the load against Guegire.

guz
05-10-2003, 06:43 PM
same ol', same ol'.

ducks take series gm.1 with a multiple OT winner.

machinaddict
05-10-2003, 09:57 PM
3-2 Ottawa in overtime!
what a great game

Injektilo
05-10-2003, 09:59 PM
I personally can't stand the thought of "Anaheim Mighty Ducks" written on the stanley cup.

FearFactory
05-10-2003, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by Injektilo
I personally can't stand the thought of "Anaheim Mighty Ducks" written on the stanley cup.

Then you'd better not watch any more hockey for the rest of your life

guz
05-10-2003, 10:24 PM
I personally can't stand the thought of "Anaheim Mighty Ducks" written on the stanley cup. "Minnesota Wild" sounds better?

Injektilo
05-10-2003, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by FearFactory

Then you'd better not watch any more hockey for the rest of your life

fucking disney corp.

Injektilo
05-10-2003, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by guz
"Minnesota Wild" sounds better?

you can't do worse than "mighty ducks"

i have nothing against the players, fans or town of anahiem. just the owners who thought it would be cute to name them "the mighty ducks of anahiem".

Nimrod's Son
05-12-2003, 12:19 PM

you can't do worse than "mighty ducks"

i have nothing against the players, fans or town of anahiem. just the owners who thought it would be cute to name them "the mighty ducks of anahiem".
http://martinzellar.com/New99/Music_Vault/SoundTracks/images/mighty_Ducks1.gif

guz
05-12-2003, 12:36 PM
how sweet would it be for the ducks to take gm.2, making it 3 straight series they've started off 2-0 as the away team.

Crippler
05-12-2003, 10:05 PM
<font color="aquamarine">Sennies are gonna show the Devils the door! :D</font>

Crippler
05-12-2003, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by guz
how sweet would it be for the ducks to take gm.2, making it 3 straight series they've started off 2-0 as the away team.

<font color="aquamarine">Giguere just shut out the Wild AGAIN, becoming the first goalie to shut out a team 2 straight times to open a conference/Cup finals series since Terry Sawchuck did it with the Wings back in 1952.

:hurl:</font>

guz
05-12-2003, 10:10 PM
would you rather have been swept by a team that was taken apart in the 2nd round? or by a team that's still playing out of it's mind?

Crippler
05-13-2003, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by guz
would you rather have been swept by a team that was taken apart in the 2nd round? or by a team that's still playing out of it's mind?

<font color="aquamarine">None of the above.</font>