View Full Version : MD Analogue transfer advice please

DoctaSoma
05-01-2003, 04:49 PM
Hey guys,

I am having problems making analogue transfers from MD. Often when I do I end up with a few scattered blips in the transfered WAV. I am sure that this is happening because for whatever reason my PC is chunking up while recording and devoting part of its resources to some obscure windows need, and therefore missing little bits of the analogue stream.

I am running Windows ME and recording onto Goldwave. I have an analogue cord going between the headphones out of my MD to the Line in to my (shitty) soundcard. I simply press play on the MD and hit record in Goldwave.

I close all programs other than Goldwave when I do this.

So: any advice from the experts?

I do not have the money to get a new soundcard and a standalone MD with an optical out.

Perhaps there is a better program which is better at hogging the system resources?

I have 512mb DDR ram on a P4 1.8ghz. Would doubling the ram help the problem? That would also be a stretch for me at the moment.

Goldwave is difficult to pick the skips in too, as when you play back the wave, you hear many skip artifacts. However playing the same section twice, they often aren't there indicating it was due to the pc chunking up rather than an error in the sound file. I identify errors in the sound file as blips that are permanent on multiple plays of the same section. But its easy to miss them because of this. I just discovered about 10 blips in a recording I spent a long time transferring. I didn't notice them until I played the CD after. Much time wasted.

I have utmost respect for more experienced traders, so please share any advice you might have.

-Ben

2Scoops
05-01-2003, 04:56 PM
well you probably knew this was gonna happen.

my response: let someone else transfer it.

Sebastian
05-01-2003, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by DoctaSoma
I have utmost respect for more experienced traders

But you're still trying to do an *analog* transfer?

Enzed
05-01-2003, 10:57 PM
Answer the damn question, traderoonies!
http://www.2300club.org/gallery/images/01_youre_nicked.jpg

DoctaSoma
05-02-2003, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by Sebastian

But you're still trying to do an *analog* transfer?

Look mate, I have no other way to do the transfer. I do not know anyone personally who can do digital transfers, certainly noone who I could send the mds for every show I tape to. And really I doubt there are many people in New Zealand who have both a stand alone MD player with digital out, and a good sound card for which to do the transfer, nevermind the will to do such a transfer. Bootlegging is a rare hobby in NZ.

The suggestion that I am disrespecting other tapers with my recording by doing an analogue transfer is absurd. A very good analogue transferred recording is far superior to no recording at all.

I have gone to the effort to buy a sharp MD even though they are not sold in New Zealand, and I have bought a great pair of DACs from Zach. I know that the lowest quality component in my setup is my soundcard and transfer method, but hey. I owe as much money as many people with a mortgage yet I have no house, as much as I would like to do my recordings justice with the transfer there is no spare money. But look I didn't ask for sympathy and I don't expect it, I just asked for a better way to transfer the recording with the gear I have.

Aah well, perhaps it was tongue in cheek, on that note then, I'm off to piss in the trading pool.

-Ben

2Scoops
05-02-2003, 03:34 PM
list the bands. more ppl would be interested if they knew which bands you're trying to pimp out.

Enzed
05-03-2003, 01:30 AM
QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE
JANE'S ADDICTION
FOO FIGHTERS
AUDIOSLAVE
BEN HARPER

etc.