View Full Version : The story of Machina

SwansOfNever
04-25-2003, 10:06 PM
Just the other day I was talking to a friend of mine about the concept art etc. from the machina album as well as just the overall theme of the machina era. Then we got into the whole "story of machina" thing which then led me into "June" and "Glass" this and that...Then suddenly I realized that my friend looked more confused than I had ever seen him in the entire course of our friendship and I realized I probably sounded like a babbling idiot. All the old stuff has since been disconnected online..So anyways, I'm just wondering if anyone knows any resources or anything that I could go to get just pretty much the cover to cover story of machina etc. Everything from the little pages billy wrote us, to the contest on figuring everything out, to the actual people who won! I still have all the things he posted originally, but as far as teh explainations and meaning it had to the band\machina era I'm all jibberish there. So whoever has any suggestions I'd appreciate it.

Tyler
04-25-2003, 10:47 PM
http://www.blamo.org/sp/news/archives/

scroll about halfway down that page for links to all chapters of Glass and the Machines of God and a summary of the whole story/concept etc.

http://www.spfc.org/news-press/articles.html?content_id=1405

Link to the page on spfc with the essay from the "Machina Contest" winner. The second and third place essays are on spfc somewhere too. I dont have the links though.

Hope those help.

Eulogy
04-25-2003, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by SwansOfNever
to the actual people who won!

She is (was? :( ) one of my best intarweb friends ever.

I need to e-mail her.

Reyngel
04-25-2003, 11:36 PM
The story of Machina can best be explained by the following:

Once upon a time, Billy was writing all these songs that he would put on his last album ever. It would be 30 songs, divided into two parts. But Virgin thought Billy was gay, so they said he could only release the first 15. So Billy put out an album all about how he's the greatest shit to ever walk this earth, on a mission ordered from God himself to rock like no one has ever rocked before. Then, after the album came out, Billy realized he'd be hated and criticized for such an album, so he started this big elaborate lie about how Machina isn't what it appears to be, and that there's some huge, intricate, underlying puzzle of a story for people to figure out. That way, when people claimed that he had crossed the ego-maniac line, he could just say, "You just aren't smart enough to understand what I'm really saying. I was really just singing as a CHARACTER. It's not what I, personally, think, you idiot fools," and he'd be off the hook. In the end, it all back-fired, because people hated the Machina "story" anyway. And when Machina 2 was released, fans returned to Rat In A Cage and The Killer In Me, and the Pumpkins died and turned into a big mess of rainbows, mesh hats and short-shorts.

The end.

MstrGhost
04-25-2003, 11:51 PM
ha

DeviousJ
04-26-2003, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by Reyngel
The story of Machina can best be explained by the following:

Once upon a time, Billy was writing all these songs that he would put on his last album ever. It would be 30 songs, divided into two parts. But Virgin thought Billy was gay, so they said he could only release the first 15. So Billy put out an album all about how he's the greatest shit to ever walk this earth, on a mission ordered from God himself to rock like no one has ever rocked before. Then, after the album came out, Billy realized he'd be hated and criticized for such an album, so he started this big elaborate lie about how Machina isn't what it appears to be, and that there's some huge, intricate, underlying puzzle of a story for people to figure out. That way, when people claimed that he had crossed the ego-maniac line, he could just say, "You just aren't smart enough to understand what I'm really saying. I was really just singing as a CHARACTER. It's not what I, personally, think, you idiot fools," and he'd be off the hook. In the end, it all back-fired, because people hated the Machina "story" anyway. And when Machina 2 was released, fans returned to Rat In A Cage and The Killer In Me, and the Pumpkins died and turned into a big mess of rainbows, mesh hats and short-shorts.

The end.

You forgot the part where he realized even he couldn't bullshit his way through the whole thing, so he held a competition where fans could make up their own concepts and he could just pick one and say 'uh, yeah, this is exactly what I was talking about'

Reyngel
04-26-2003, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by DeviousJ

You forgot the part where he realized even he couldn't bullshit his way through the whole thing, so he held a competition where fans could make up their own concepts and he could just pick one and say 'uh, yeah, this is exactly what I was talking about'

lol, exactly.

Ugly
04-26-2003, 12:36 AM
regardless of the halfassed execution of the idea, I still think a concept-album idea is pretty cool esp. from a modern rock mianstream band.

Reyngel
04-26-2003, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by Ugly
regardless of the halfassed execution of the idea, I still think a concept-album idea is pretty cool esp. from a modern rock mianstream band.

You're right. It is a good idea. Too bad Billy fucked it up though.