View Full Version : Sinead O'Connor To Retire From Music

Boycott Graceland
04-25-2003, 06:27 AM
from billboard.com:

Sinead O'Connor To Retire From Music

In a message posted in the forum on her official Web site, enigmatic Irish artist Sinead O'Connor has declared that this summer she will seek to discard her celebrity. "As of July 2003 I shall be retiring from the music business [in] order to pursue a different career," she writes. A spokesperson for Vanguard Records, O'Connor's U.S. label, confirmed to Billboard.com that the message is authentic.

The decision may be linked to a fatigue syndrome that recently caused the O'Connor to cancel a string of European performances with U.K. act Massive Attack. Afterward, her site's Webmaster reported that the artist was "advised to rest as much as possible over the next few months."

Before retiring completely, O'Connor has several projects to finish. "The last recordings I will make will be (believe it or not) a track for Dolly Parton's upcoming tribute album and a track for [Irish accordionist] Sharon Shannon's forthcoming album," she writes. The tracks will be recorded sometime next month.

The final release of O'Connor's career will be a concert and documentary DVD she says will be released in July. Titled "Goodnight, Thank You. You've Been a Lovely Audience," the artist says it will feature "tracks from way back," as well as songs from last year's Vanguard album "Sean Nos Nua."

"Thanks to all of ye for a great time and a great education," O'Connor glibly states in her farewell announcement.

O'Connor released a total of seven albums and one EP, beginning with 1987's "The Lion & the Cobra" (Chrysalis). Her second album, 1990's "I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got" (Ensign/Chrysalis), reached No. 1 on Billboard's album chart.

Just before the release of "Sean Nos Nua" -- which debuted at No. 6 on Billboard's Top Independent Albums chart and No. 139 on The Billboard 200 -- O'Connor told Billboard she wanted to make further recordings, including a country album, a religious/spiritual album, a set of opera songs, and even a children's album. She also said she hoped to begin recording a new album in late 2003.

The balance of O'Connor's message is a plea to be left alone once she detaches herself from the music industry. "I would request that as of July, since I seek no longer to be a 'famous' person, and instead I wish to live a 'normal' life, could people please afford me my privacy," she says.

"[I] am a very shy person, believe it or not. So I ask with love, that I be left in peace and privacy by people who love my records too. And I hope it doesn't sound rude. It ain't meant rude. I am glad that ye are helped by my songs. So help me too, by giving me what is best for me, a private life.

"My advise [sic] to anyone who ever admires a so called 'celebrity' if u see them in the street, don't even look at them. If u love them, then the lovingest [sic] thing u can do to show them so is leave them alone and don't stare at them! Or bang on restaurant windows when they in there. Or make them get their picture taken, or write their names on bits of paper. That's pieces of them. And one day they wake up with nothing left of themselves to give."

-- Barry A. Jeckell, N.Y.

i never particularly liked her, but a distant relative of my was her manager for about three weeks. he said she was an indecisive bitch.

eyesbomb
04-25-2003, 08:32 AM
it's a shame

I was looking forward to see her perform with Massive Attack in june, but she won't be there

She may have fucked a bunch of records, but still I believe she was/ is a great musician

TiaraGurl
04-25-2003, 01:38 PM
I do not want what I haven't got is one of my top ten albums of all time.

Too bad i never got to see her live.

oh well.

Nimrod's Son
04-25-2003, 05:26 PM
Shit, I thought she'd been retired since about 1995.

Elvis The Fat Years
04-25-2003, 05:28 PM
F her.

El Savior
04-25-2003, 05:38 PM
i thought it was gonna be an article from the onion or something.

Boycott Graceland
04-26-2003, 03:33 AM
Originally posted by El Savior
i thought it was gonna be an article from the onion or something.

eehee