View Full Version : Sparklehorse - Good Morning Spider

smashingjj
03-25-2003, 12:28 PM
I just obtained this album and I'm deeply impressed. I guess it's up there with It's A Wonderful Life.

Who has it?

Best Looking Boy
03-25-2003, 12:56 PM
it's a great album but despite what anyone will ever say, Vivadixiesubmarinetransmissionplot is their best album quite honestly.

Best Looking Boy
03-25-2003, 01:02 PM
sorry dawg, Saturday is.

Netphorian Gadabout
03-25-2003, 01:04 PM
GMS is probably their worst album (although Linkous has never released a bad, or even average album, IMO). Vivadixie... or Wonderful Life are both better, and more "complete" in their feel.

I guess my big complaint with GMS is the total lack of self-editing it reeks of. 45 second song clips fill the thing and tracks like Happy Man are totally ruined by just weird ideas (hear the Distorted Ghost EP version of that song to see what I mean). It does still have some awesome tracks like Sunshine, Pig, Sick of Goodbyes; but overall, I wouldn't put it up there with Wonderful Life or Vivadixie.

Netphorian Gadabout
03-25-2003, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by killtheyouth
perhaps, but "Piano Fire" remains the best song he's ever written.

Not even the best on that disk... More Yellow Birds.

Best Looking Boy
03-25-2003, 01:12 PM
your name is pumpkins but you've got the right idea. i wouldn't completely damn good morning spider, it's a great album in it's own right, it just doesn't feel like sparklehorse and that's good for a nice change to me i guess yeah

Netphorian Gadabout
03-25-2003, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Best Looking Boy
your name is pumpkins but you've got the right idea.

Thanks for not holding that against me.

i wouldn't completely damn good morning spider, it's a great album in it's own right, it just doesn't feel like sparklehorse and that's good for a nice change to me i guess yeah

Yeah, it's still a great album, it just needed someone (pitchfork says a producer) to say "No" throughout it. It's sort of like Machina in that regard; a decent idea got ruined by just overblown egotism.