View Full Version : all you people with your crazy album reviews of bands i dont know.

MachinaMan
03-23-2003, 09:35 PM
what are some albums that i absolutely *need* to check out.
i'm not talking bands that are regularly namechecked on netphoria. (i.e. modest mouse, trail of dead, interpol, slint, My Bloody Valentine, pixies etc. etc.)

but otherwise what are some albums that are amazing that are hardly ever mentioned.
also, should i check out portishead (what album?)

thank you for you help.

carter
03-23-2003, 11:07 PM
Saddle Creek bands don't get enough props here.

Cursive and Rilo Kiley had recent releases that are really good. You have probably already heard Conor Oberst's bands, Bright Eyes and Desaparacidos.

The label has a sampler out April 8 that has 22 songs by 11 bands. Each band has a "hit" and an unreleased song on the sampler. I'm looking forward to it. You can get it for $ 10 from their website and it will ship March 25th:

http://store.saddle-creek.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SCOS&Product_Code=LBJ-50_2xCD&Category_Code=Various_Artists

Irrelevant
03-23-2003, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by carter
Saddle Creek bands don't get enough props here.

Cursive and Rilo Kiley had recent releases that are really good. You have probably already heard Bright Eyes and Desaparacidos albums.

The label has a sampler out April 8 that has 22 songs by 11 bands. Each band has a "hit" and an unreleased song *******d on the sampler. You can get it for $ 10 from their website and it will ship March 25th:

http://store.saddle-creek.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SCOS&Product_Code=LBJ-50_2xCD&Category_Code=Various_Artists

saddle creek blows ass.

oh wait, there are some good bands on that sampler. just the ones that you didn't mention.

Mayday, Azure Ray, The Faint, i like them.

GhostChild
03-24-2003, 02:58 AM
Check out The Black Heart Procession - Album 3. It's really cool stuff. The only way I can discribe it is as dark kinda music, slow, but good.

Dredg - Great band I saw live last month. A lot of people who recomended them to me liked harder stuff...so I thought they were on those lines, but really they aren't. The singer has a decent voice and they have some mellow stuff and some rockin stuff. Get their latest release.

Jacob Golden - A solo artist orginaly from Sacramento, now bases out of London. He is on Rought Trade records. He released an EP and an Album last year. He has an amazing voice, and is still my favorite song writter ever. Its too bad that he went his own way, cus his old band which went from Orisha > Youth Symphony > Birthday was a great band. I have some of the older stuff with the band if you like his stuff.

shaniqua
03-24-2003, 03:06 AM
the hidden cameras!!!

the smell of our own and ecce homo out in canada on evil evil
the smell of our own out on rough trade internationally sometime in april!

ban marriage single currently out on cd and 7"

www.musicismyboyfriend.com

Debaser
03-24-2003, 04:19 AM
spoon - girls can tell
spoon - kill the moonlight
the shins - oh, inverted world
the liars - they threw us in a trench and stuck a monument on top
death cab for cutie - we have the facts and we're voting yes
the dismemberment plan - emergency & i
beulah - the coast is never clear
superdrag - last call for vitriol

eh, if you want reviews look them up on amazon or sumthin...

Best Looking Boy
03-24-2003, 04:44 AM
Originally posted by GhostChild
Check out The Black Heart Procession - Album 3. It's really cool stuff. The only way I can discribe it is as dark kinda music, slow, but good.
Three isn't anywhere near as good as 1,2 or Amore del Tropico. Sorry bud. Strike out.

Nothing/everything
03-24-2003, 08:20 AM
The acid mothers temple and the melting paraiso UFO needs more checking out here on netphoria. AMT is the true rocking psychedelics.

Check In C, and the extremely loud Electric Heavyland, the Live in Japan disc is worth it also.

strange_one
03-24-2003, 08:51 AM

<font color=33FFFF> I saw them perform a couple of weeks ago, I'm not sure what to think of it. I had heard all their records, and thought they were decent, but the live show really dragged on</font>

Jesse Miller
03-24-2003, 01:12 PM
the pAper chAse - Hide The Kitchen Knives
Lifter Puller - Fiestas + Fiascos
Of Montreal - Cocolicot Asleep in the Poppies
Mercury Rev - Boces

Ghetto_Squirrel
03-24-2003, 08:46 PM
Dredg - Great band I saw live last month. A lot of people who recomended them to me liked harder stuff...so I thought they were on those lines, but really they aren't. The singer has a decent voice and they have some mellow stuff and some rockin stuff. Get their latest release.

I can't decide whether I like El Cielo or Leitmotif more. Every time I listen to one, I like it better than the other.

Oh, and they are fantastic live.