View Full Version : the st louis show

Red Wine Cage
03-23-2003, 06:26 PM
ryan patrick came knocking at my door at 1:30 or so. my brother's girlfriend had free long distance, so i took the opportunity to randomly call stephanie over in illinois. i took a shower, then we headed to Quiktrip so i could get a camera and gum and so he could get a snack, i think, or something. then we had to get $20 out of the ATM so i could get a shirt at the concert tonight.
we were on the road by 3 or 3:15. i drove the whole way, we listened to different radio stations and a mix tape made by someone from netphoria, www.netphoria.org/forums, which was pretty good. we stopped to eat subway and get gas. we pretty much went straight through and we still got their at maybe 6:45. we found a sweet parking spot right near the building and we only had to put 4 quarters in the meter because it stopped counting after 7pm.
so, since ryan had people he knows, he got to get almost front of the line while i was about in the middle of the line. i talked to some people next to me because they were wondering if Zwan played any Pumpkins songs. i was like, "um, no." i also told them that i trade bootlegs and that Zwan has over 200 songs in their catalogue.
so, we get in inside the venue at probably 7:20 to 7:30. the venue didn't allow cameras, so when i saw that they were patting people down, i took the camera out of my pocket and held it, hiding it with a sampler CD that was handed out outside venue. when i got actually inside i went straight to the merchandise table (zwan are merchandise whores) and got a rainbow guitar shirt. i'll try to post a picture sometime on here. then i made my way down to the general area. it was a good thing i did it then because the people that came down after me had to be turned away because it's against the fire codes to have people in the aisle. so, i was in back of alot of people, but i had a clear shot of the stage.
the opening band, The Children's Hour, I liked alot. one of the first times an opening band really caught my attention. they played about 8 or 9 songs. i didn't take any pictures of them because i didn't want to risk getting caught and not get any pictures of ZWAN. David Pajo (who is a member of ZWAN, dodo bird) played drums on a few songs for the children's hour!!! i was the only one in my section who knew that because i guess they think ZWAN is just billy corgan and jimmy chamberlin. *ROLL EYES* so, i yelled out "PAJO!!" and the guy next to me was like, "huh?" and i told him that he was a member of ZWAN, too, and then they announced it was him and everyone went crazy.*ROLL EYES*
after about a half an hour intermission, teh ZWAN came out and rocked the house. the setlist is as follows:

lyric
endless summer
el sol
for your love
honestly
yeah!
settle down
don't let me down
jesus, i / god's gonna set this world on fire
heartsong
friends as lovers, lovers as friends
ride a black swan
mary star of the sea

encore 1:
spilled milk

encore 2:
of a broken heart

it was fun to sing along to the songs that no one around me knew. i felt like such an elitist. they should have played "baby, let's rock!" instead of "heart song", but what can you do? it was a fine show indeed.
i had to stand next to a bunch of people who only came to hear "honestly", so i stood out because i was going crazy. if i have to pay $35 to see ZWAN, i'm getting the most pictures and the most anything out of it. i had to stand next to a 25-year-old guy in an Audioslave shirt, who kept yelling out "PLAY ZERO" like he was fucking original or something. after 3 times he stopped, but i wanted to tell him that the joke is old. he was just a loser who was trying to relive the past, when Chris Cornell and Billy Corgan were grunge gods. luckily, i got to move up some because i was tired of being around dead heads. but, even where i moved it wasn't very alive.
billy joked about how if pajo was president there wouldn't be any war and also that ever since he mentioned Nelly, he blew up on the charts. i took the opportunity to express my views on Nelly, which i'll probably hear on the bootleg. the last time i saw Zwan, i was able to yell "you fucking rule" and i can now hear it on my bootleg. hopefully, that is the case here.
also, billy said that "lovers as friends" is going to be "on the upcoming DVD release only Djali Zwan album"!!!!

StarlaZero
03-23-2003, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by Red Wine Cage
so, since ryan had people he knows, he got to get almost front of the line while i was about in the middle of the line.

the venue didn't allow cameras, so when i saw that they were patting people down, i took the camera out of my pocket and held it, hiding it with a sampler CD that was handed out outside venue.

first, i was first in line because i got there at 9 AM. people who get in at the front of the line because they "know somebody" need to kiss my ass, because that's not fair to the people behind you who got there waaay ass early. the two guys who were in front of me went into the bar at 5 PM, and they'd been in line since 4 AM.

second, i got my camera in no problem (hide it in your crotch, it's that simple). and i was on the front row and got plenty of pictures with a security guy standing literally 2 feet to my right.

sarah

Red Wine Cage
03-24-2003, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by StarlaZero

first, i was first in line because i got there at 9 AM. people who get in at the front of the line because they "know somebody" need to kiss my ass, because that's not fair to the people behind you who got there waaay ass early. the two guys who were in front of me went into the bar at 5 PM, and they'd been in line since 4 AM.
it's your fault you got there at 9am?
sorry that some people have a life besides standing in lines all day.
second, i got my camera in no problem (hide it in your crotch, it's that simple). and i was on the front row and got plenty of pictures with a security guy standing literally 2 feet to my right.

sarah
well, when you find out they're frisking for cameras about 3 feet away from you, you kinda have to make quick decisions.

List On Fork
03-24-2003, 04:07 AM
people who get in at the front of the line because they "know somebody" need to kiss my ass, because that's not fair to the people behind you who got there waaay ass early.

MonteLDS
03-24-2003, 04:44 AM
thanks for the info
good stuff to hear. I fear the crowds @ the Zwan shows i see. I am going wear my zero outfit and put #($* Zwan play ZERO! thanks Red Wine Cage :p

Red Wine Cage
03-24-2003, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by List On Fork
people who get in at the front of the line because they "know somebody" need to kiss my ass, because that's not fair to the people behind you who got there waaay ass early.

Originally posted by MonteLDS
I am going wear my zero outfit and put #($* Zwan play ZERO! thanks Red Wine Cage
pics plz

17 Seconds
03-24-2003, 11:11 AM
I was at the show as well. Being that I'm old and 21+, I got to go into the Halo Bar before the show. They let the people in the bar into the venue before the rest of the people outside. That kinda sucks for the people that were there waiting since the wee hours of the morning, but what can I do?

Anyway, my wife and I were able to get up close-- about 20 ft. from the stage dead center. We thought we would get closer once the "push" happens when the lights go out, but there was no push! The crowd was very cool. Everyone around us knew all the songs (guess you were in the wrong section RWC!

Some highlights.... Yeah! was excellent-- you could tell the band enjoys playing this one-- big smiles on all their faces when the crowd gets into it.

I was surprised to see how tall Matt was-- every bit as tall as Billy. Billy had this Cheap Trick-esque checkered sweater on. Paz was wearing a tight wife-beater T-Shirt and the lowest low-rise jeans I think I've ever seen. I think Pajo moved a total of three inches the entire night-- didn't pay too much attention to him. Jimmy had what looked like a Boy Scouts Uniform on-- couldn't get a good look at him since Billy was in the way.

One other cool thing-- before they let people in, they made the standard "no cameras, etc allowed in the venue" announcement, but at the end they said, "audio recording is allowed." Just kinda odd to actually hear that, but I knew that anyway. Oh, well, that's my story.

Ap33west
03-24-2003, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by 17 Seconds
I was at the show as well. Being that I'm old and 21+, I got to go into the Halo Bar before the show. They let the people in the bar into the venue before the rest of the people outside. That kinda sucks for the people that were there waiting since the wee hours of the morning, but what can I do?

yeah, the venue was stupid about that. luckily i'm old enough to get in and get sarah and i a spot up front. the 2 guys in front of us had been up all night and there since 4 a.m. i thought they were gonna shoot somebody when a second and third line started forming. but we got it worked out. i went into the halo bar w/ them and we claimed front row center for those of us who'd been there all fucking day. seems like a venue that makes money off GA ALL AGES shows shouldn't turn around and fuck with you over age. bastards. but overall it was a great show.
great crowd from where i was, everybody was ELITE enough to know who was in the band even! and knew songs other than honestly! OMIFUK!!! it was a humbling experience, realizing that i wasn't the only one in the crowd who had heard of "friends and lovers" before...i never knew how many ELITE fans there were in this world!
anthony

*disclaimer- the proceeding paragraph is meant to be humor. there's only room for one pompous ass in this thread.

Why Am I So Ugly?
03-24-2003, 01:02 PM
so, since ryan had people he knows, he got to get almost front of the line while i was about in the middle of the line.
haha what?? why didnt ryan patrick let you cut in with him?

Why Am I So Ugly?
03-24-2003, 01:06 PM
the highlight of the show was when pajo made that angelic sound on his guitar during the intro for ride a black swan i think it was

Ap33west
03-24-2003, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Why Am I So Ugly?
the highlight of the show was when pajo made that angelic sound on his guitar during the intro for ride a black swan i think it was
hell yeah. and at the end of one of the extended jams (i don't remember which one) when billy's guitar kept playing and he was looking at sweeney like "what the fuck?" and didn't realize it was HIM playing. that was a great moment. funny at least. i'm still glowing from the whole thing.
anthony

Why Am I So Ugly?
03-24-2003, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Ap33west

hell yeah. and at the end of one of the extended jams (i don't remember which one) when billy's guitar kept playing and he was looking at sweeney like "what the fuck?" and didn't realize it was HIM playing. that was a great moment. funny at least. i'm still glowing from the whole thing.
anthony

awwwww yeah that was great. man i hate it when i realize how great a concert was until a day or two after. now youre making me want to go see zwan again

mpp
03-24-2003, 03:48 PM
it was almost as good as 1/25/03 and that's saying a lot

closing with "of a broken heart" was beautiful

List On Fork
03-24-2003, 06:37 PM

hey, that's fine and understandable if you have a life and can't wait in line all day. just don't expect to cut in line because of it. i mean, what are you saying? "because i have things to do and can't wait in line, you should let me cut in front of you!" yeah fuckin right. i will fight you before i let you cut in line. good thing i was already in the halo bar when you and ryan got there.

Red Wine Cage
03-24-2003, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by List On Fork

hey, that's fine and understandable if you have a life and can't wait in line all day. just don't expect to cut in line because of it. i mean, what are you saying? "because i have things to do and can't wait in line, you should let me cut in front of you!" yeah fuckin right. i will fight you before i let you cut in line. good thing i was already in the halo bar when you and ryan got there.
oh, shut up.
to get anywhere in life, you need connections.
i'm not saying Zwan connections are some huge thing, but you should know that the world lives on "who you know".
ANYWAY, i'm not saying it's right or wrong, just that it happened and i doubt you would have FOUGHT anyone that cut. christ, pick your battles, man. i was way back in line and i got close enough to the front to enjoy myself.

anyway, WAISU, i didn't go with him because he barely knew the guy and didn't want to ask to bring another person or something. oh, well, i'm happy. i got close enough.

StarlaZero
03-24-2003, 08:22 PM
to get anywhere in life, you need connections.

and i doubt you would have FOUGHT anyone that cut. christ, pick your battles, man. i was way back in line and i got close enough to the front to enjoy myself.

yeah, and the kind of connections you should employ when seeing a band is the kind that you develop amongst people who are in line early...not connections you use to cheat people and cut in front of people.

and i'm just speaking for myself, but if anyone had cut in front of me, i would've made a scene. you just don't do that.

sarah

Red Wine Cage
03-24-2003, 08:25 PM

yeah, and the kind of connections you should employ when seeing a band is the kind that you develop amongst people who are in line early...not connections you use to cheat people and cut in front of people.

and i'm just speaking for myself, but if anyone had cut in front of me, i would've made a scene. you just don't do that.

sarah
so, you got to be in the front, right?
ryan still got in line before many people that still got in the front. when it's general admission, it really doesn't matter where you are in line. one person doesn't make a difference.
at the columbia show in april 02 i was pretty close to the back and i still got totally close to the stage.

and, even if someone made a scene, so what? what can you do? it's a spot in line, people. mellow out

mpp
03-24-2003, 10:10 PM

and, even if someone made a scene, so what? what can you do? it's a spot in line, people. mellow out

i think the funniest part is where you say that you're not saying it's right or wrong

very funny comment

i mean, are you kidding me? it's wrong, period; end of story

who cares though? i mean what were all the others in line going to do about it? fight you?

Red Wine Cage
03-24-2003, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by mpp

who cares though? i mean what were all the others in line going to do about it? fight you?
exactly.

i dunno, i really don't care either way.
who the hell would wait in line for 12 hours for any show?

geez.

Why Am I So Ugly?
03-25-2003, 04:21 AM

anyway, WAISU, i didn't go with him because he barely knew the guy and didn't want to ask to bring another person or something. oh, well, i'm happy. i got close enough.
what an ass. you drive across teh state with him and he cant even ask "hey do you mind if my friend cuts in too?" what a ryan patrickesque thing to do

Future Boy
03-25-2003, 06:39 AM

exactly.

i dunno, i really don't care either way.
who the hell would wait in line for 12 hours for any show?

geez.

People that want a good spot.

Gore is the President
03-25-2003, 01:24 PM
Red Wine Cage and Ryan Patrick are both fucking morons. Case closed.

Irrelevant
03-25-2003, 02:42 PM
this thread rules.

sawdust restaurants
03-25-2003, 05:30 PM
IF YOU CUT IN LINE, THE TERRORISTS WIN

Jesus, people, grow the fuck up.

Red Wine Cage
03-25-2003, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by Future Boy

People that want a good spot.
i got a good spot and i got there about an hour before. sux to be the person that waited 10 hours or so.

and, i agree with sawdust, it's not a big fucking deal.