View Full Version : New Jimmy interview (MACHINA his favorite Pumpkins record?)

TuralyonW3
01-26-2018, 11:13 PM
http://www.elmoremagazine.com/2018/01/music-news/jimmy-chamberlin-opens-up

JC: Do any of the Pumpkins recordings stick out to you as favorites?

That could change five times a day. It’s an unanswerable question. The Machina stuff was probably the stuff most in alignment with the ideology of the band and what we were on about, it probably came the closest sonicly and arrangementally to what we heard in our heard, but that doesn’t mean anything other than what I just said.

plenty of good stuff about the Complex and early days of Pumpkins, 90s renaissance, etc.

Shadaloo
01-26-2018, 11:28 PM
I remember reading a quote at some point where he was asked a similar question and he specifically said he was extremely proud of what they had accomplished sonically with Machina. Might have been on the recording sessions wiki.

butthurt
01-26-2018, 11:33 PM
check wiki

teh b0lly!!1
01-26-2018, 11:54 PM
i agree with him.
machina i/ii is where they went into their weirdest, most idiosyncratic, personalized art-rock territory and it has a very special vibe that you will not find on many records. kinda live-sounding, wishy-washy, flawed but in a way you couldn't imagine the song ever being without. there were a lot of bad tracks on these two records, but also a lot of very formidable peaks and some of their best fucking work to date.

Shallowed
01-27-2018, 12:04 AM
Maybe he had fond memories about it because he was off the drugs for good.

slunken
01-27-2018, 12:09 AM
simply love machina because it probably comes the closest sonicly and arrangementally to what i hear in my head.

T&T
01-27-2018, 12:57 AM
pretty good record. great mystery.

langley
01-27-2018, 02:19 AM
Machina was fire
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2QHf00N7R4U" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

srt4b
01-27-2018, 08:07 AM
It's good. People forget that at one point Everlasting Gaze, Raindrops + Sunshowers, & I of the Mourning were all in heavy rotation on alt rock radio. It all just stopped about 4 months after Machina. The quality of music and tours were good, it was just time for alt rock to die for a while.

T&T
01-27-2018, 10:31 AM
jimmy seems to realize that fame and fortune is something that is out of a musicians control and that they were lucky to get a bit of it for a little while.

I like his blue collar approach to drumming/being in a band: work hard and do your best, don't worry about the rest.
Then again it's easy to say once you've had the fame and financial security.

teh b0lly!!1
01-27-2018, 11:02 AM
that drum track is just so fucking ace.

it's so articulate just on its own, like, it's a shame there's no room to fit that stuff in a full band stereo mix. if there is any one thing worth looking forward to in technology of any kind in the future, for me, it's having more advanced audio processing techniques and being able to hear all those details, of any track you wanted, in a mix.

TuralyonW3
01-27-2018, 11:52 AM
It's good. People forget that at one point Everlasting Gaze, Raindrops + Sunshowers, & I of the Mourning were all in heavy rotation on alt rock radio.

I don't recall this being the case at all.

Funbags
01-27-2018, 12:39 PM
that drum track is just so fucking ace.

it's so articulate just on its own, like, it's a shame there's no room to fit that stuff in a full band stereo mix. if there is any one thing worth looking forward to in technology of any kind in the future, for me, it's having more advanced audio processing techniques and being able to hear all those details, of any track you wanted, in a mix.

I bet the stereo mix sounds unbelievable. The guy is a true artist.

slunken
01-27-2018, 04:04 PM
never noticed how he changes the beat from the 1st to 2nd verse

cardiac
01-27-2018, 04:34 PM
I never knew he quit school at 15 to play the drums full time. That's cool.

smashingjj
01-27-2018, 05:59 PM
:hanging::hanging::hanging::hanging:

smashingjj
01-27-2018, 06:02 PM
Both Machinas have a special, heartfelt place in my personal 'worst albums ever' charts

Corgan's Bluff
01-27-2018, 08:00 PM
Both Machinas have a special, heartfelt place in my personal 'worst albums ever' charts

:hanging:

smashingjj
01-28-2018, 04:45 AM
passionate hate them in a way that I could never hate all that came after

too little going on there to even invest the time

slunken
01-28-2018, 12:34 PM
arrangementally