View Full Version : The Sopranos thread

fuzzyroes
07-26-2017, 08:30 PM
Man, I don't know why it took me so long to check out this show. It's fantastic! A lot of really great acting. The Ritchie Aprile character might just be my favorite character yet. Maybe just eking out Chistopher. It's a shame Ritichie's run on the series was so fleeting.

Is there any of you guys who haven't watched it yet? If so, you should check it out and then we can discuss it here. I just finished season 3. I've kinda been binge-watching it and I'm planning on watching it a 2nd time in a slower manner once I finish the series.

Shallowed
07-26-2017, 08:32 PM
Chris dies.

redbreegull
07-26-2017, 08:33 PM
sometimes people tell me this is the greatest show of all time and I'm like

is it really? I mean i haven't seen it but I don't give a shit about mobsters or New Jersey.

fuzzyroes
07-26-2017, 08:36 PM
Yeah man, the premise didn't seem like my cup of tea either. But I checked it out reluctantly and just loved it.

Let's put it this way, if you liked Breaking Bad, you'll love this show. I'm a big BB fan and watching Soprano's you can tell how much Vince Gilligan ripped off from the show. There's countless arcs and character traits that Gilligan straight up lifted. I almost liken it to how Family Guy was "inspired" by The Simpsons.

scottytheoneand
07-26-2017, 08:38 PM
Yeah man, the premise didn't seem like my cup of tea either. But I checked it out reluctantly and just loved it.

Let's put it this way, if you liked Breaking Bad, you'll love this show. I'm a big BB fan and watching Soprano's you can tell how much Vince Gilligan ripped off from the show. There's countless arcs and character traits that Gilligan straight up lifted. I almost liken it to how Family Guy was "inspired" by The Simpsons.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/5a/a8/74/5aa87402f96265589e71744fff3523b9.jpg

fuzzyroes
07-26-2017, 08:47 PM
I was googling "Breaking Bad Sopranos rip off" just to see if other people noticed it, and this guy articulates a lot of the reasons pretty spot on.

Breaking bad is really just The Sopranos in suburban Albuquerque. Lets look at the facts:

- Dark but morally ambiguous leading man asking the audience to question their own ethics and morals. He does terrible things but he is so badass you are forced to not write him off entirely. Strong Male anti hero's journey to power. (Anthony and Walt)

- Blonde complicit housewife often dealing with their codependence to said ethically questionable husband, constantly dealing with the problems of faith and adultery. (Carmella and Skyler)

- Confused son named after the father so as to force the audience to question how the fathers decisions affect his future. (Tony -> Anthony and Walt -> Walt Jr.)

- The Naive underling heavily influenced and manipulated by the dark bad ass man. (Christopher and Jesse)

- The single bad ass man is not the main feature, but his home life is extremely prominent throught the show. Marital quarrels, child, and financial problems are all front row and center. Something that was originally called "innovative" about the Sopranos.

The reason I say The Sopranos is better is because it doesn't choose or simplify things for you. In the Sopranos, no charachter is an absolute, they are all flawed, believable in their contradictions. In Breaking Bad, Jesse embodies innocence, while Walt goes from good to bad. It tells you what to think instead of making ask and question yourself.

Shallowed
07-26-2017, 08:53 PM
Dark but morally ambiguous leading man asking the audience to question their own ethics and morals. He does terrible things but he is so badass you are forced to not write him off entirely. Strong Male anti hero's journey to power. (Anthony and Walt)[/I]

This is pretty much required in the gangster genre.

slunken
07-26-2017, 08:58 PM
sometimes people tell me this is the greatest show of all time and I'm like

is it really? I mean i haven't seen it but I don't give a shit about mobsters or New Jersey.

I recently watched it for the first time and got the impression that it's important just because it was the first show of its kind

re: an over-arcing big story told over several seasons on a cable network.

Otherwise, the dumb show left so many storylines and plotholes open it gets really ridiculous.

Never forget the show is satire is and supposed to be comedic.

Paulie is the greatest TV character ever.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/43/77/fc/4377fc7a0cb8c63b5dddeadec7bbcd81.jpg

fuzzyroes
07-26-2017, 09:07 PM
Sure, but those are just the main reasons, I can think of a ton of smaller examples too.

For instance, the plot and vibe of the episode where Pauly And Chris are lost out in the snowy forest and end up camping out in the van is nearly exactly the same as the episode in wh ch the battery dies in the motor-home and Jesse and Walt are stranded in the desert

slunken
07-26-2017, 09:08 PM
Sure, but those are just the main reasons, I can think of a ton of smaller examples too.

For instance, the plot and vibe of the episode where Pauly And Chris are lost out in the snowy forest and end up camping out in the van is nearly exactly the same as the episode in wh ch the battery dies in the motor-home and Jesse and Walt are stranded in the desert

i'm not shitting on the show. breaking bad sucked.

slunken
07-26-2017, 09:10 PM
bryan cranston is a terrible actor. like an early jim carrey.

slunken
07-26-2017, 09:11 PM
if breaking bad wasn't sold so seriously it would have maybe been a better show. Cranston has no business doing drama. He's a rubberfaced over-actor.

fuzzyroes
07-26-2017, 09:12 PM
Oh, I was meaning to reply to Shallow with that reply.

You bring up a good point about the plot-lines that go left unaddressed. I've only been through the first 3 seasons and there was already several. I'm having trouble thinking of the examples off the top of my head but Meadow doing meth seemed like the start of some story arc and then it just goes nowhere.

fuzzyroes
07-26-2017, 09:14 PM
if breaking bad wasn't sold so seriously it would have maybe been a better show. Cranston has no business doing drama. He's a rubberfaced over-actor.

Hahaha I thought he was pretty great in the show. At least during the first few seasons. It kinda got a little too stupid in the last 2.

teh b0lly!!1
07-26-2017, 09:27 PM
bryan cranston is a terrible actor. like an early jim carrey.

whoa

seriously?

slunken
07-26-2017, 09:28 PM
the whole series is based upon a comedy of errors.

might as well have starred charlie chaplin.

slunken
07-26-2017, 09:29 PM
no wait what if walt and jesse were laurel and hardie?

slunken
07-26-2017, 09:30 PM
https://68.media.tumblr.com/b6215a196fca24cd002f31997a5bb4f0/tumblr_ohph76ubaT1uhsa09o1_400.gif

how many lbs per week was that, jesse?

slunken
07-26-2017, 09:32 PM
https://media.tenor.com/images/72ca659424104fc52fed31eef1eeeca6/tenor.gif

you're not being very scientific, stan!

slunken
07-26-2017, 09:33 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/52G4ridrz7fEY/giphy.gif

"i watched your girlfriend die"

slunken
07-26-2017, 09:36 PM
https://68.media.tumblr.com/365131a10f7759582fb72b739a84b149/tumblr_nlbvzoFtAN1qiouwio1_400.gif

James Finlayson as Mike

slunken
07-26-2017, 09:38 PM
https://media.tenor.com/images/11fe03e217989206a6b99c89f33afdc1/tenor.gif

"why don't you do something to help me?!"

redbreegull
07-26-2017, 09:55 PM
when you guys are drunk, does music ever sound too fast or too slow to you?

teh b0lly!!1
07-26-2017, 10:01 PM
no it sounds PERFECT

redbreegull
07-26-2017, 10:11 PM
sometimes I also lose the ability to hear pitch properly. not just like I can't sing in pitch, but I can't even hear it properly when I am really drunk

fuzzyroes
07-26-2017, 10:12 PM
Could be a sign of some sorta schizophrenia

fuzzyroes
07-26-2017, 10:13 PM
I believe some refer to that as auditory hallucinations

redbreegull
07-26-2017, 10:15 PM
lmfao thanks dr. dog scholar

teh b0lly!!1
07-26-2017, 10:16 PM
sometimes I also lose the ability to hear pitch properly. not just like I can't sing in pitch, but I can't even hear it properly when I am really drunk

perhaps you're having difficulty hearing properly over the sounds of your body screaming for you to drink less

teh b0lly!!1
07-26-2017, 10:17 PM
no but that sounds pretty frightening tbh. are you hearing warped pitch? does it warble or stay consistent yet off pitch?

reprise85
07-26-2017, 10:18 PM
Could be a sign of some sorta schizophrenia

I believe some refer to that as auditory hallucinations

no

reprise85
07-26-2017, 10:19 PM
- Dark but morally ambiguous leading man asking the audience to question their own ethics and morals.

Tony is not morally ambiguous whatsoever

redbreegull
07-26-2017, 10:20 PM
no but that sounds pretty frightening tbh. are you hearing warped pitch? does it warble or stay consistent yet off pitch?

no warbling, just an inability to pinpoint pitch, or it sounds weird. Sometimes when I play guitar really drunk it sounds like the strings are not tuned properly even when they are. who the fuck knows, I am crazy

reprise85
07-26-2017, 10:20 PM
when you guys are drunk, does music ever sound too fast or too slow to you?

this happens to me, mostly the speed one. it can even be without intoxicants, sometimes shit just seems slow or fast. perception is an odd thing. if it only happens when you're drunk i wouldnt worry about it being anything serious

reprise85
07-26-2017, 10:30 PM
it's funny cuz tony is completely a bad guy but then you get people like ralphie who are somehow so much worse. fuzzy i dont think you've met ralphie yet but he is unquestionably the biggest piece of shit that you see on the show. perhaps he's not really worse than any of the other guys but he just doesnt hide it at all and has no illusions of having any sort of conscience

redbreegull
07-26-2017, 10:31 PM
I have bigger fish to fry

reprise85
07-26-2017, 10:33 PM
it's a good show rbg, you should watch it at some point. i still think it's the GOAT

fuzzyroes
07-26-2017, 11:15 PM
Tony is not morally ambiguous whatsoever

Sure he is, or at least when it comes to his kids or if you compare him to the rest of his crew.

fuzzyroes
07-26-2017, 11:16 PM
this happens to me, mostly the speed one. it can even be without intoxicants, sometimes shit just seems slow or fast. perception is an odd thing.

Yeah... This isn't normal

redbreegull
07-26-2017, 11:19 PM
Yeah... This isn't normal

constantly assuming anything outside your scope of experience is wrong or abnormal is a pretty good sign a small-mindedness and stupidity

fuzzyroes
07-26-2017, 11:22 PM
it's funny cuz tony is completely a bad guy but then you get people like ralphie who are somehow so much worse. fuzzy i dont think you've met ralphie yet but he is unquestionably the biggest piece of shit that you see on the show. perhaps he's not really worse than any of the other guys but he just doesnt hide it at all and has no illusions of having any sort of conscience

Haha yeah that's what I mean. I don't think Tony's any worse of a guy than Walt was though. If anything I'd say Tony's the lesser evil of the 2 cause at at least Tony was diving into self exploration and trying to look at things with a conscious mindset, even if if it was one that obeyed by a criminal code.

fuzzyroes
07-26-2017, 11:24 PM
constantly assuming anything outside your scope of experience is wrong or abnormal is a pretty good sign a small-mindedness and stupidity

What you're talking about are auditory hallucinations man. That's some serious mental illness. I wouldn't take them lightly man. Sometimes mental illness doesn't become full-blown until people are in their 20's.

If you experience them when drinking, stay away from drinking at all costs brother... (I say this with all seriousness.)

reprise85
07-26-2017, 11:29 PM
Sure he is, or at least when it comes to his kids or if you compare him to the rest of his crew.

he murders people with his bare hands and is responsible for dozens of murders and ruining people's lives like what

fuzzyroes
07-26-2017, 11:32 PM
Yeah, but then on the other hand he still maintains morale ambiguity with his family life. I.E just like Walt does in Breaking Bad. It's that balance of a bad dude trying to maintain a family life that was so unique with The Sopanos and Gilligan lifted the same plot dynamics for his very similar story.

fuzzyroes
07-26-2017, 11:33 PM
Sure, there is differences. But let's face it, Breaking Bad is a huge Soprano's rip off.

reprise85
07-26-2017, 11:35 PM
What you're talking about are auditory hallucinations man. That's some serious mental illness. I wouldn't take them lightly man. Sometimes mental illness doesn't become full-blown until people are in their 20's.

If you experience them when drinking, stay away from drinking at all costs brother... (I say this with all seriousness.)

Those are not hallucinations, they are perceptual ILLUSIONS which many people have sometimes, especially when they are altered from drugs, stress, being tired, etc. Maybe not auditory and maybe some people are more prone to them than others but it's not an uncommon phenomenon

It COULD be a sign of mental illness if you obsess over it or it happens constantly or it is systematized, meaning you have delusional thought processes that go along with them (e.g. the aliens are slowing down music so i can listen to messages they are putting between the notes) but generally it's not a fuckin big deal

reprise85
07-26-2017, 11:35 PM
Yeah, but then on the other hand he still maintains morale ambiguity with his family life. I.E just like Walt does in Breaking Bad. It's that balance of a bad dude trying to maintain a family life that was so unique with The Sopanos and Gilligan lifted the same plot dynamics for his very similar story.

i mean he has children that he doesnt beat is that really enough to be morally ambiguous?

fuzzyroes
07-26-2017, 11:37 PM
That's the thing with Tony Soprano. That he isn't quite a bad enough, morally bankrupt enough of a guy to do the job that he does and him trying to get to the bottom of why that is. It's a same struggle and progress with Walt I.E "breaking bad".

fuzzyroes
07-26-2017, 11:39 PM
Those are not hallucinations, they are perceptual ILLUSIONS which many people have sometimes, especially when they are altered from drugs, stress, being tired, etc. Maybe not auditory and maybe some people are more prone to them than others but it's not an uncommon phenomenon

It COULD be a sign of mental illness if you obsess over it or it happens constantly or it is systematized, meaning you have delusional thought processes that go along with them (e.g. the aliens are slowing down music so i can listen to messages they are putting between the notes) but generally it's not a fuckin big deal

If you're hearing pitches in a fucked up manner or hearing music at different speeds then it really is then it's an auditory hallucination. Might not be a severe form of them, but it is one nonetheless.

reprise85
07-26-2017, 11:40 PM
tony is a psychopathic mob boss
walt is someone who probably always had psychopathic tendencies but mostly tried to live right most of his life. he basically snapped.

there are some similarities to them but they aren't that alike really

reprise85
07-26-2017, 11:41 PM
If you're hearing pitches in a fucked up manner or hearing music at different speeds then it really is then it's an auditory hallucination. Might not be a severe form of them, but it is one nonetheless.

my point is that it's not a sign of mental illness per se, which it's not, and it's definitely not indicative of schizophrenic-type hallucinations because it's a fucking illusion and not a hallucination and it's non-systematized

it is a general sign of cognitive impairment or stress that could be related to an organic problem if it was severe and persistent but as a transient experience it is not something to be concerned about. obviously talk to a doctor if you get them and it bothers you or it's a new thing that's never happened before.

redbreegull
07-26-2017, 11:45 PM
I believe it's because I AM FUCKING DRUNK ON DRUGS

redbreegull
07-26-2017, 11:46 PM
hey doc, when I take psychoactive drugs I experience altered perceptions of reality, is this NORMAL??

fuzzyroes
07-26-2017, 11:48 PM
I'm sorry, but any doctor would agree that it's a cause for concern if a man in his 20's begins to start hearing sounds in distorted ways.

fuzzyroes
07-26-2017, 11:50 PM
I believe it's because I AM FUCKING DRUNK ON DRUGS

Well I don't know what drugs you're taking, but alcohol and drugs can certainly exacerbate mental illness and bring it out to the forefront in those who may have had it lying dormant. Whatever the case is, trust me on this: stop doing whatever it is that is making it happen. Nip it in the bud before it gets worse brother-man.

fuzzyroes
07-26-2017, 11:53 PM
tony is a psychopathic mob boss
walt is someone who probably always had psychopathic tendencies but mostly tried to live right most of his life. he basically snapped.

there are some similarities to them but they aren't that alike really

The dynamics between the character and their families are near identical. Skylars essentially the same character as Carmella.

redbreegull
07-26-2017, 11:56 PM
dude you're mentally retarded

teh b0lly!!1
07-26-2017, 11:56 PM
I have bigger fish to fry

what you mean is you have bigger Ziti to make, asshole

redbreegull
07-26-2017, 11:57 PM
do you do this for attention or what

@ fuzzy

redbreegull
07-26-2017, 11:57 PM
what you mean is you have bigger Ziti to make, asshole

midnight quesadillas

reprise85
07-26-2017, 11:59 PM
The dynamics between the character and their families are near identical. Skylars essentially the same character as Carmella.

i disagree. Carmella is completely complicit in what Tony does, and always has been, since before they were married.. Skylar found out and was mad as hell, and then came around to a point. But this all happened over less than a year's time (in the series).

i do think there are some similarities in the two series of course but it's hard to say they're so much alike when one happens over like 10 years and the other over 1 1/2 or whatever

fuzzyroes
07-27-2017, 12:17 AM
do you do this for attention or what

@ fuzzy

You're the one who came into my Sopranos thread and derailed it by talking about your mental illness. Stop playing the victim man. If you had mentioned it in the chat thread there's no way I would have bothered to reply.

Either way, I was being sincere.

fuzzyroes
07-27-2017, 12:20 AM
i disagree. Carmella is completely complicit in what Tony does, and always has been, since before they were married.. Skylar found out and was mad as hell, and then came around to a point. But this all happened over less than a year's time (in the series).

i do think there are some similarities in the two series of course but it's hard to say they're so much alike when one happens over like 10 years and the other over 1 1/2 or whatever

I mean there is notable differences in all of the similarities. While I guess Carmella is complicit, she definitely chooses to be willfully ignorant of the darker side of what goes on in the "business" in much the same way Skylar did.

There's just a ton of unarguable parallels between the series'. That's fine and all, but I never saw it mentioned when the critics were always raving about how original Breaking Bad was.

fuzzyroes
07-27-2017, 12:23 AM
dude you're mentally retarded

Reprise, can you delete this post please?

redbreegull
07-27-2017, 12:24 AM
what's wrong snowflake? do you have down syndrome?

redbreegull
07-27-2017, 12:25 AM
do you guys ever see shadow figures in your room out of the corner of your eye

fuzzyroes
07-27-2017, 12:29 AM
what's wrong snowflake? do you have down syndrome?

I just chose to be cognizant of words that cause pain and represent ugliness to marginalized groups of people. 10 years from now when society is more sensitive about this you probably won't dare utter it anymore.

Why be behind the curve when it comes to something hurtful like bigotry?

redbreegull
07-27-2017, 12:31 AM
I just chose to be cognizant of words that cause pain and represent ugliness to marginalized groups of people. 10 years from now when society is more sensitive about this you probably won't dare utter it anymore.

Why be behind the curve when it comes to something hurtful like bigotry?

http://addictinginfo.addictinginfoent.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Trump-4.jpg
http://addictinginfo.addictinginfoent.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Trump-4.jpg

Shallowed
07-27-2017, 12:37 AM
You can literally murder multiple people and orchestrate multiple other murders but as long as you look after your kids, you're not a total monster, according to fuzzy.

fuzzyroes
07-27-2017, 12:40 AM
Yeah, Trumps a fly by the seat of his pants kinda guy and sometimes he'll say something offensive, but it's better than these puppets like Hillary Clinton who have every word scripted and pre-tested with focus groups and nonsense like that.

fuzzyroes
07-27-2017, 12:41 AM
You can literally murder multiple people and orchestrate multiple other murders but as long as you look after your kids, you're not a total monster, according to fuzzy.

I never said that, or at least I didn't mean it to come out like that.

Basically Tony and Walt are both bad men trying to balance their evil way of life with a positive morale home life. And that's quite unusual to see in a TV series.

redbreegull
07-27-2017, 12:43 AM
Yeah, Trumps a fly by the seat of his pants kinda guy and sometimes he'll say something offensive, but it's better than these puppets like Hillary Clinton who have every word scripted and pre-tested with focus groups and nonsense like that.

fuzzyroes
07-27-2017, 12:47 AM
Please, leave the thread. The adults are trying to talk.

redbreegull
07-27-2017, 12:48 AM

redbreegull
07-27-2017, 12:53 AM
bada bing bada boom

reprise85
07-27-2017, 02:19 AM

he makes fun of handicapped people and you love him but you are offended by rbg calling you a retard. i dont like him doing that but you're a hypocrite

teh b0lly!!1
07-27-2017, 02:32 AM
i don't think the point fuzzy is making about the similarities between teh Sops!!1 and BrkBrah are that outrageous. this is just the board's usual MO to set him on fire for everything he says. some of his points are valid imho. yeah walt may be more malicious than tony, who has trouble coping with the consequences of his actions, but they're both anti-heroes.

also, i'm guessing breegers is drunk/inebriated rn and in the past he has expressed regret for using terms like 'retard' or 'downs syndrome' as pejoratives, for which he'll probably apologize later. in which case, it would be a startlingly similar behavioral pattern to one that a certain mr. roes, first name fuzzy, has displayed in the past.

smashingjj
07-27-2017, 04:54 AM
sopranos was fantastic. I saw it way after it aired but it's been a couple of years already. I see a few parallels with breaking bad but I don't think it's a rip-off. I think it gave 'the television series' in general a lot more credibility though. the genre probably wouldn't be so popular now if not for the sopranos.

smashingjj
07-27-2017, 04:57 AM

i have this while sober if it's really loud. I'm afraid it might be tinnitus.

for instance when my band starts a song and the bass comes in later, I often think I'm playing the wrong note, or someone else is. while that might well explain the problem, it often turns out I had been playing the right note later on in the song.

:/

reprise85
07-27-2017, 11:47 AM
i don't think the point fuzzy is making about the similarities between teh Sops!!1 and BrkBrah are that outrageous. this is just the board's usual MO to set him on fire for everything he says. some of his points are valid imho. yeah walt may be more malicious than tony, who has trouble coping with the consequences of his actions, but they're both anti-heroes.

also, i'm guessing breegers is drunk/inebriated rn and in the past he has expressed regret for using terms like 'retard' or 'downs syndrome' as pejoratives, for which he'll probably apologize later. in which case, it would be a startlingly similar behavioral pattern to one that a certain mr. roes, first name fuzzy, has displayed in the past.

i agree there are similarities, especially if you break it down to "they are both anti-heroes"

i never saw tony as having problems coping with the consequences of his actions. or i guess, he doesn't want to change. he just wants to stop having panic attacks. so in that way he has problems coping, but cognitively it's not like he wants to change his behavior. he is totally fine with his behavior. but it has been like 5 years since i watch it, maybe i am forgetting some stuff

FlamingGlobes
07-27-2017, 12:44 PM

...what?

Carmella is a willing participant; she knows what Tony does and chooses to look the other way (mostly) because she likes the lifestyle it affords her. She's a massive fucking hypocrite.

Skyler is at first ignorant of Walt's activities, is an innocent bystander and eventually reluctantly and not very happily accepts her new reality. She is a sympathetic victim of circumstance.

FlamingGlobes
07-27-2017, 12:45 PM
Y'know, except in the eyes of all those MRA fuckwads who hated Skyler as the series aired.

FlamingGlobes
07-27-2017, 12:46 PM
fuzzy... you aren't MRA-positive by chance, are you? If so, you should get that checked by a doctor, brother-man.

redbreegull
07-27-2017, 12:53 PM
i have this while sober if it's really loud. I'm afraid it might be tinnitus.

for instance when my band starts a song and the bass comes in later, I often think I'm playing the wrong note, or someone else is. while that might well explain the problem, it often turns out I had been playing the right note later on in the song.

:/

same. It could be hearing loss because I have exposed myself to a lot of loud music in my life, but I think extreme volume may also just confuse your brain.

smashingjj
07-27-2017, 01:57 PM
not sure about that. it's new to me, after years of playing amidst amps turned up to high volumes in order to not be quieter than the drummer.

fucken drummer.

redbreegull
07-27-2017, 03:18 PM
yeah who needs em

redbreegull
07-27-2017, 03:18 PM
bada bing

bada boom

LaBelle
07-27-2017, 03:54 PM
Beakman?

LaBelle
07-27-2017, 03:56 PM
If the Sopranos was a show about a bunch of middle aged female opera singers, their everyday struggles and ensuing shenanigans I'd watch the shit out of it.

smashingjj
07-27-2017, 03:59 PM
lari

LaBelle
07-27-2017, 04:00 PM
Yes?

smashingjj
07-27-2017, 04:43 PM
hi

redbreegull
07-27-2017, 04:45 PM
in 100 words or less, what do the words "sleeping with the fishes" mean to you?

LaBelle
07-27-2017, 06:27 PM
hi

Hi how are you? ASL?

N00dz?

LaBelle
07-27-2017, 06:28 PM
in 100 words or less, what do the words "sleeping with the fishes" mean to you?

While it's not really my thing, i'm not gonna sit here and judge and/or kink shame people in the year of our lord 2017. Anyone is welcome to sleep with anyone/thing if they so desire.

redbreegull
07-27-2017, 06:46 PM
man labelle I have tried to pos rep you three times today and keep getting told I can't do it.

LaBelle
07-27-2017, 06:48 PM
I take cheques as well.

buzzard
07-27-2017, 07:32 PM
The Sopranos was an Everybody Loves Raymond rip-off if you can believe this thread.

Fiction really should have just hung up its boots when Shakespeare carked it. There's nothing new under the sun.

redbreegull
07-27-2017, 07:44 PM
Shakespeare also ripped off the Sopranos

redbreegull
07-27-2017, 07:44 PM
Romeo and Juliet? Also about Italians

fuzzyroes
07-27-2017, 11:08 PM
I'm now a few episodes into season 4. Man, for some reason I just seem to like the crudest characters on the show. One of my favorites in season 2 was Ritchie Alpria and now I've been really getting a kick out of Ralph. He adds an almost comedic balance to the more traditionally depicted mobsters on the show.

reprise85
07-27-2017, 11:24 PM
dont worry, ralph will make you want to ralph soon enough

teh b0lly!!1
07-27-2017, 11:58 PM
it's like fuzzy always choo choo chooses the crudest characters to like

buzzard
07-28-2017, 12:15 AM
It would have been such a humorless snoozefest of traditionally-depicted mobsters were it not for Ralphie.

http://i.imgur.com/2N52dUz.jpg?1

Shallowed
07-28-2017, 12:21 AM
SHE WUZ A HEWER

qwerty sp
07-28-2017, 01:43 AM
I got the whole series on disc

Envy me

LaBelle
07-28-2017, 07:08 AM
What's a disc

qwerty sp
07-28-2017, 07:17 AM
It's what's people have between their legs

teh b0lly!!1
07-28-2017, 08:36 AM
holy shit

a guy from work was telling me about his ruptured disc and i was nodding along

you mean to tell me...

Shallowed
07-28-2017, 08:39 AM
He was really trying to tell you that Breaking Bad totally ripped off The Sopranos because the antihero trope is a thing??

buzzard
07-28-2017, 08:50 AM
David Chase must have been fucking fuming when he got the word that somebody else was doing a show featuring an amoral protagonist with an immediate family.

redbreegull
07-28-2017, 09:43 AM
What's a disc

It's what's people have between their legs

uh no that's a disk

LaBelle
07-28-2017, 05:06 PM
Gives a whole new meaning to Hard Disk

FlamingGlobes
07-28-2017, 08:40 PM
I got the whole series on disc

Envy me

I have the whole set too. I was originally introduced to the series through an ex-girlfriend's parents, who had the first two seasons on VHS. :smoke:

Who wants to touch me? Besides Took's mom, that is.

fuzzyroes
07-28-2017, 08:50 PM
SHE WUZ A HEWER

hahaha that was definitely some of my favorite Ralphie moments too.

"Can someone please tell me what I ever did to this guy?!?! I wasn't thirsty!!! She was a who-ere!!!!"

Shallowed
07-28-2017, 08:54 PM
Yeah no fucking surprise you admire one of the least sympathetic and most monstrous characters

teh b0lly!!1
07-28-2017, 11:36 PM
i dunno he's pretty harmless man

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/archive/1/14/20170721073916%21Ralph_Wiggum.png

The Omega Concern
07-28-2017, 11:58 PM

Roger Ebert had it right. A good story isn't what its about, its how its about it.

qwerty sp
07-29-2017, 01:01 AM
Gives a whole new meaning to Hard Disk

It's either a hard disk or a floppy one

teh b0lly!!1
07-29-2017, 04:59 AM
haha

LaBelle
07-29-2017, 06:50 AM
You must spread some rep....

teh b0lly!!1
07-29-2017, 11:11 PM
watched first 2 eps of The Sopranos again last night

man i forgot how fucking insufferable that opening sequence is

Shallowed
07-29-2017, 11:51 PM
It doesn't particularly sound like something Tony would put on the jukebox before he gets assassinated and his world turns black.

buzzard
07-30-2017, 12:59 AM
Looking forward to hearing fuzzy's thoughts about that final scene.

FlamingGlobes
07-30-2017, 11:23 AM
Don't stop

smashingjj
07-30-2017, 12:37 PM
believin

killtrocity
07-30-2017, 03:58 PM
Finally got around to watching this in 2013. Finished a few days before James Gandolfini died, it was rather uncanny. IMO the 6th season makes the most poignant statement on life, death, and morality of any work of fiction I've seen. It's an odd show. It's extremely male-centric but in being so also makes little points about the sorts of problems that arise when the "fuck it or kill it" drive runs the world unchecked.

Even when Ralphie is just beating strippers to death and quoting Gladiator there's this juxtaposition with Tony's daughter and how we morally regard people we know versus those we have no immediate or practical connection with. Although sometimes it's just people being horrible without any apparent semblance of meditation or deeper meaning on whatever is being depicted. To be honest, though, the show's greatest strength is that it never moralizes or or proselytizes on whatever subject is being focused on.

If The Sopranos has a glaring weakness, it's obtuseness on race and gender. Not that the showrunner is racist, sexist, or heterosexist, but it's hard to make serious commentary on those issues when every character is dropping sophomoric one-liners about gay sex (the gay Vito subplot, specifically). Yeah I know we're suppose to be viewing these characters through a critical lense but after hours and hours of Italian colloquialisms about gays it's hard to take the overall point, if there is one, seriously.

But yeah overall it's a phenomenal show, although women probably won't find very much to relate to

killtrocity
07-30-2017, 04:01 PM
He was really trying to tell you that Breaking Bad totally ripped off The Sopranos because the antihero trope is a thing??

Quite simply, Without Tony Soprano there is no Walter White - Bryan Cranston

FlamingGlobes
07-31-2017, 05:32 PM
Finally got around to watching this in 2013. Finished a few days before James Gandolfini died

Jeez man, spoiler alert!

fuzzyroes
07-31-2017, 09:36 PM
The dead-pan nature of The Sopranos is great. There's a lot of little details that aren't really meant to be all that notable that are hilarious.

One of my favorite scenes of season 5 is when Furio brings over gifts from Italy for Tonys children. If you notice the first gift that Carmela pulls out is for Meadow and Furio spelled it "Maedo" on the package and it's just this tiny little book. And then the gift for Anthony Jr's just this little carved wooden keychain of a smiling man in a tuxedo and top-hat. Then later on Carmellas all "Anthony Jr just loved that little man you got him!" haha

teh b0lly!!1
08-03-2017, 11:30 AM
i'm 3 episodes into the first season of the sopranos. my second time trying it after not getting it years ago.

i'm so moved by how fucking great and nuanced this show is, absolutely blown away. the level of subtlety they master in a variety of ways - acting, writing, directing, editing - is just a beautiful thing to watch. really hope this level doesn't drop in upcoming seasons.

smashingjj
08-03-2017, 02:00 PM
fucking nuanced

teh b0lly!!1
08-03-2017, 11:01 PM
so fucking subtle bro

teh b0lly!!1
08-03-2017, 11:02 PM
seriously i watched like 3 straight episodes last night, can't even say when was the last time i binged a show like that. great, great stuff.

man, james gandolfini.

fuzzyroes
08-08-2017, 07:26 PM
Yeah buddy, I've been binge watching it for like a month now. So many great acting performances. I look forward to watching it a second time and doing so at a slower pace so it can all sink in a little better.

On another note, man.... It's so weird to think that the guy who played Christopher is 51 years old now. I mean, I realize that the shows fairly old now (though you couldn't tell by how well it's aged) but I thought I was he way younger at the time when they filmed the show.

qwerty sp
08-08-2017, 07:55 PM
The psychologist character isn't something I've seen before on TV

fuzzyroes
08-08-2017, 07:59 PM
She's kind of one of the few characters I don't really like. I just don't really buy how she comes across. She's always all monotone and stuff.

qwerty sp
08-08-2017, 08:24 PM
She's kind of one of the few characters I don't really like. I just don't really buy how she comes across. She's always all monotone and stuff.

I'm attracted to her monotone! Haha

reprise85
08-08-2017, 08:30 PM
her interactions with Tony are pretty good, from a psychology standpoint. obviously they have a compromised relationship from the start since he can't be honest with her... which, i won't go any further with this because of spoilers. it wouldn't work irl because of that but they do address this in the show in some way in the later seasons. but just as a generally client/therapist push-pull thing it's not a bad representation. the one thing that DOES REALLY IRK me is that she is actually a psychiatrist and not a psychologist, yet she is in an office with no medical equipment whatsoever, and the series treats her as a psychologist. so either she's a psychiatrist who practices therapy, which is rare but does happen, who has no medical equipment and orders no tests ever (not even a scale in her office), or she's a psychologist who can prescribe medicine, which only is allowed in a few states with special training, and NJ is not one of them. and at the time of the show i don't think there were any states

fuzzyroes
08-08-2017, 08:50 PM
Heh, nice call. I didn't even think about that

fuzzyroes
08-08-2017, 08:55 PM
There's this hilarious scene in season 6 with AJ working at Blockbuster video and he and the co-worker are just chatting on the phone, nonchalantly dropping F bombs right in front of the customers. Cracked me up cause it was a spitting image of me and a co-worker when I was younger and when I worked in an electronics department. We'd drop F-bombs at the counter all of the time without even realizing it and one lady even freaked out about it once haha.

qwerty sp
08-08-2017, 08:59 PM
When Tony killed that guy in season 1 on the road trip to colleges with Meadow
I stopped watching. I didn't like Tony anymore
In my eyes he went from 'anti hero' to flat out villain

reprise85
08-08-2017, 09:12 PM
There's this hilarious scene in season 6 with AJ working at Blockbuster video and he and the co-worker are just chatting on the phone, nonchalantly dropping F bombs right in front of the customers. Cracked me up cause it was a spitting image of me and a co-worker when I was younger and when I worked in an electronics department. We'd drop F-bombs at the counter all of the time without even realizing it and one lady even freaked out about it once haha.

where i work we do this all the time. i try not to in front of customers but it slips out sometimes. no one cares at all. other people do it in front of customers all the time. no one cares, never heard a complaint. and this is how it's been at any place i've ever worked. the only people who don't curse constantly are (some of) the minors

fuzzyroes
08-08-2017, 10:01 PM
Lol yeah, I guess it isn't a big deal. But people seem to take it worse when it's just a couple of young loser guys doing it.

Lol but man, I miss video-stores and CD stores and the whole culture of em. This online shopping cruds gotta go. Brick and mortars where it's at.

slunken
08-08-2017, 11:04 PM

where i work we do this all the time. i try not to in front of customers but it slips out sometimes. no one cares at all. other people do it in front of customers all the time. no one cares, never heard a complaint. and this is how it's been at any place i've ever worked. the only people who don't curse constantly are (some of) the minors

WE NOTICE AND WE CARE AND WE DON'T LIKE IT

reprise85
08-08-2017, 11:10 PM
Lol yeah, I guess it isn't a big deal. But people seem to take it worse when it's just a couple of young loser guys doing it.

for sure, i get where you were going with it. didn't mean to be bitchy about it, i just read over it and it sounds that way.

buzzard
08-09-2017, 02:51 AM
One of my favorite pastimes is writing screenplays for would-be Adam Sandler movies and, once I'm done with the one in which a failed relationship leaves him floundering in an increasingly competitive real estate market and forces him to seize upon the opportunity to disguise himself as his recently-deceased great-uncle immediately before a planned move to a mid-tier retirement village, I plan to start work on one inspired by fuzzyroes that'll have Mr. Sandler running for mayor of a small town on a nostalgia platform complete with bans on all technology from the cellphone onwards.

fuzzyroes
08-16-2017, 11:47 PM
Haha that actually has potential and I can seriously envision Sandler playing a role like that.

fuzzyroes
08-16-2017, 11:52 PM
Hey TheB0lly, are you still watching the series? You planning on watching the whole thing?

If so, I'll try and refrain from sharing any major spoilers... But below might kind of be one, so don't look!

I actually kind of liked the ending though. But I'm not sure if I'm understanding it correctly. I look at it like there's no sensational plot twist to end the series. Or are they trying to imply that he gets killed? They kept focusing on that kind of low-life looking white guy who was alone at the diner, almost baiting the audience into thinking he was about to whack Tony, and then they shift over and and focus in on the stereotypical up to no good "urban-street" looking guys. When everything goes black is that supposed to insinuate that he died? That would be dumb.

reprise85
08-17-2017, 12:02 AM
It's ambiguous, but the camera keeps going from third person, to first person from Tony's eyes, and back and forth. And when it goes to black, it is on Tony's perspective. I took that to mean that he was killed/shot. Other people think just nothing happens. Other people think he didn't get killed right there but they were alluding that there were people there to assassinate him.

fuzzyroes
08-17-2017, 12:04 AM
I think it's a much better show than Breaking Bad. I really appreciate that The Sopranos refrains from indulging in any of the cheap sensationalism that Breaking Bad fell victim to in it's later seasons (that whole sensational train-robbery plot-line in season 5 where Jesse misses getting run over by a train by an inch was beyond ridiculous).

There's just so many priceless, legendary scenes featured in the Sopranos that it's staggering.

My new favorite might just be when Vito's working a real job for the first time in who knows when and he's thinking to himself with his voice over about what time he thinks it is and he's saying "don't look at the watch,it'll ruin the surprise" and he's going on debating what time he thinks it is and then he finally looks at his watch and he's way off. That's just hilarious TV.

Another random point: someone in this thread mentioned that they were off-put by the racism and bigotry in the series, but I actually have to disagree. I think it adds to the authenticity of the story and characters. Could you imagine if all of these cold-blooded Italian mobsters were the beacon of political correctness? It would have been detrimental to the authenticity. So I give HBO props for including it when it would have been easy to cop-out and please the masses.

fuzzyroes
08-17-2017, 12:08 AM
It's ambiguous, but the camera keeps going from third person, to first person from Tony's eyes, and back and forth. And when it goes to black, it is on Tony's perspective. I took that to mean that he was killed/shot. Other people think just nothing happens. Other people think he didn't get killed right there but they were alluding that there were people there to assassinate him.

Ahhh when you put it that way, I think you might be right. That's kinda lame to me then. Why not just show him get his brains blown away and end it there if that's really what they were going for.

But when it shows Tony it shows him looking up once the bell of the door jingles, and the opening of the door would seem to coincide with Meadow coming in from outside the restaurant . It wasn't like he looked up in a panic out of nowhere or something.

I suppose it's probably just one of those scenes where there is no intended "right" answer

slunken
08-17-2017, 12:08 AM
My new favorite might just be when Vito's working a real job for the first time in who knows when and he's thinking to himself with his voice over about what time he thinks it is and he's saying "don't look at the watch,it'll ruin the surprise" and he's going on debating what time he thinks it is and then he finally looks at his watch and he's way off. That's just hilarious TV.

I enjoyed this scene too but it was far from hilarious.

fuzzyroes
08-17-2017, 12:14 AM
haha I dunno man, I got a kick out of it.

He's all looking at the sun and debating what time it must be, it's like just look at your watch you stupid idiot! but it's priceless cause almost everyones been there.

reprise85
08-17-2017, 12:15 AM
The Sopranos is definitely better than Breaking Bad. It's the GOAT

top tier is the sopranos, the wire, and six feet under

slunken
08-17-2017, 12:25 AM
That's still a pretty shitty list afaik

slunken
08-17-2017, 12:26 AM
I mean you might as well say THE ONLY MOVIES I CONSIDER THE GREATEST ARE GODFATHER, SCARFACE, AND STAR WARS

like how not nuanced is that

fuzzyroes
08-17-2017, 12:31 AM
I dunno man, as far as quality programing go HBO really set a new precedent.

I've actually never seen the Wire or Six Feet Under. Maybe I'll check those out next. I'm thinking of giving Sopranos another watch though. This time in a slower more nuanced manner.

I was originally intending on binge watching The Larry Sanders show next. You guys ever checked out that shit?

slunken
08-17-2017, 12:36 AM
yea watch Larry Sanders

fuzzyroes
08-17-2017, 12:45 AM
Right on. The Slunken seal of approval is certainly a good one.

It's a done deal, it's next up on my viewing schedule.

teh b0lly!!1
08-17-2017, 02:28 AM
i'm almost at the end of season 2.

it gets quite campy in parts, but it's mostly good.

i wish i had more GoT episodes.

smashingjj
08-17-2017, 06:14 AM
the wire might be my favourite ever

ok maybe apart from game of thrones :(

buzzard
08-18-2017, 12:24 AM
I actually kind of liked the ending though. But I'm not sure if I'm understanding it correctly. I look at it like there's no sensational plot twist to end the series. Or are they trying to imply that he gets killed? They kept focusing on that kind of low-life looking white guy who was alone at the diner, almost baiting the audience into thinking he was about to whack Tony, and then they shift over and and focus in on the stereotypical up to no good "urban-street" looking guys. When everything goes black is that supposed to insinuate that he died? That would be dumb.It's ambiguous, but the camera keeps going from third person, to first person from Tony's eyes, and back and forth. And when it goes to black, it is on Tony's perspective. I took that to mean that he was killed/shot. Other people think just nothing happens. Other people think he didn't get killed right there but they were alluding that there were people there to assassinate him.

Couldn't the take-away from that scene simply be that, even when having a pleasant dinner with his wife and kids, the cost of Tony being in his particular line of work is never feeling nor ever really being totally secure.

What happens next isn't always the question and the scene could have just as easily been intended as a play on the "happily ever after" trope.

The Omega Concern
08-18-2017, 12:29 AM
yea watch Larry Sanders

that's a good choice right after the Sopranos too. mix it up.

The Omega Concern
08-18-2017, 12:36 AM
the wire might be my favourite ever

ok maybe apart from game of thrones :(

Rolling Stone had a top 100 all-time TV show listing. Top 3 were Sopranos, The Wire and Breaking Bad. I'd like to check out the wire sometime, but I'll probably dig into game of thrones before that one at some point.

slunken
08-18-2017, 12:48 AM
it gets quite campy in parts, but it's mostly good.

understatement of the quarter-century

reprise85
08-18-2017, 12:49 AM
Couldn't the take-away from that scene simply be that, even when having a pleasant dinner with his wife and kids, the cost of Tony being in his particular line of work is never feeling nor ever really being totally secure.

What happens next isn't always the question and the scene could have just as easily been intended as a play on the "happily ever after" trope.

yes that's a good take as well

teh b0lly!!1
08-19-2017, 11:04 PM
watched the season 2 finale last night.

what a great episode, with all those bizarre dream sequences that somehow almost feel like real dreams. beautiful work. big pussy taking the form of a fish and the way that whole convo between him and tony went down - great stuff.

ohnoitsbonnie
08-19-2017, 11:09 PM
This what you do instead of go outside

ohnoitsbonnie
08-19-2017, 11:11 PM
H8 the sopranos for misrepresenting my culture and home state

killtrocity
08-20-2017, 08:39 PM
SPoilers

Hey TheB0lly, are you still watching the series? You planning on watching the whole thing?

If so, I'll try and refrain from sharing any major spoilers... But below might kind of be one, so don't look!

I actually kind of liked the ending though. But I'm not sure if I'm understanding it correctly. I look at it like there's no sensational plot twist to end the series. Or are they trying to imply that he gets killed? They kept focusing on that kind of low-life looking white guy who was alone at the diner, almost baiting the audience into thinking he was about to whack Tony, and then they shift over and and focus in on the stereotypical up to no good "urban-street" looking guys. When everything goes black is that supposed to insinuate that he died? That would be dumb.

Not that there's any one answer on the subject (which is part of the point) but this article gives a pretty excellent overview: http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/the-sopranos-made-in-america-89671

If you've seen 2001: A Space Odyssey, the sequence of shots in the diner mirrors the final sequence of that movie, to the same effect

If you're looking for a definitive answer, there's certainly enough evidence to support the notion that Tony was killed and that the creators intended it that way: https://masterofsopranos.wordpress.com/1147-2/

killtrocity
08-20-2017, 08:43 PM
H8 the sopranos for misrepresenting my culture and home state

Get back to me when your city is the butt of every homicide rate or bullet-to-air ratio joke ever made. I.E. "come for the deep dish pizza, stay because you got murdered"

teh b0lly!!1
08-21-2017, 09:17 AM
haha that's a good one

teh b0lly!!1
08-21-2017, 09:18 AM
i just watched the episode where Dr. Melfi got raped.

man. so fucking shitty.

lorraine bracco acted SO well on this. i always liked her but honestly i was stunned, i didn't know she had THAT in her.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7iAhJoa4BXo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

FlamingGlobes
08-21-2017, 05:02 PM
I never got the whole "local pride" (or whatever) thing. Like, "somebody said something mean about where I live!"

So? Who gives a shit?

buzzard
08-21-2017, 05:07 PM
It doesn't make a ton of sense when the vast majority of every shitheel you've known most likely hails from the area.

I was only ever a patriot when living overseas.

fuzzyroes
08-22-2017, 09:31 PM
yes that's a good take as well

I tended to agree with Buzz, but then this guy made a very compelling case that he was shot in the diner by the guy who was sitting at the counter. It's hard to argue with the logic.

https://masterofsopranos.wordpress.com/the-sopranos-definitive-explanation-of-the-end/

Then at the same time to think that he gets whacked right when the journey song ends with the lyrics "Don't Stop". I guess at the least the creator was wanting people to think that he may have been whacked.

fuzzyroes
08-22-2017, 09:34 PM
SPoilers

Not that there's any one answer on the subject (which is part of the point) but this article gives a pretty excellent overview: http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/the-sopranos-made-in-america-89671

If you've seen 2001: A Space Odyssey, the sequence of shots in the diner mirrors the final sequence of that movie, to the same effect

If you're looking for a definitive answer, there's certainly enough evidence to support the notion that Tony was killed and that the creators intended it that way: https://masterofsopranos.wordpress.com/1147-2/

Lol damn, missed this post before my last one... Haven't read that AV club article yet though, gonna check it out.

fuzzyroes
09-06-2017, 09:12 PM
So B0lly, where you at in the series? How'd you like the Richie Aprile character? I thought he was great. Really good chemistry going on between him and Tony. One of my favorite moments was when Tony pulled him aside at his mothers funeral and asked him "What the hell am I gonna do with you" and Richie all shocked innocently goes W-h-h-haaaatttttttttttttttt? That just cracked me up.

I've been rewatching season 3. I love the Ralphy character too. Any time there's an adversary of Tony's in the clan it leads to great scenes .

teh b0lly!!1
09-06-2017, 09:45 PM
man it's challenging not to read this thread, cause i know there are probably great insights here.

fuzz i'm at episode 4 of season 5. it's getting so good and compelling, it only seems to get better somehow. tony and carmela's breakup was SO well acted. what an eruption of emotions by Edie Falco, damn i mean that's some of the most convincing acting i'd seen. and Gandolfini is strong too.

also, tony's dreams are one of my favorite parts of the show. wish there were more. not long ago i was watching the episode where tony has that nightmare about being a farmer in the 1950's or something and knocking on the door of a seemingly vacant victorian house. then a dark, incredibly distressing figure resembling his mother comes down the stares and stares at him. that creeped me out way more than any recent horror film i can recall.

https://i.imgur.com/qqyeGsx.png

slunken
09-06-2017, 11:07 PM
It's all a dream.

fuzzyroes
09-06-2017, 11:20 PM
Yeah man, the dream sequences are great. There's an epic one in the last season.

buzzard
09-06-2017, 11:29 PM
The wasted episode.

Big Truck05
09-07-2017, 10:46 AM
The Soprano's was/is the greatest show ever made period

One of my favorite moments of that show was when Paulie was in charge of the carnival Father José, wants to raise the fee provided to the parish from $10,000 to $50,000. When Paulie considers it extortion and refuses to pay, Father José tells them they will not be able to use the golden hat worn by the Saint Elzear, a traditional part of the statue's garb.

There were so many great scenes in that show. A lot of good ones with Ralph Cifaretto too.

FlamingGlobes
09-07-2017, 05:26 PM
So B0lly, where you at in the series? How'd you like the Richie Aprile character? I thought he was great. Really good chemistry going on between him and Tony. One of my favorite moments was when Tony pulled him aside at his mothers funeral and asked him "What the hell am I gonna do with you" and Richie all shocked innocently goes W-h-h-haaaatttttttttttttttt? That just cracked me up.

Richie died before Tony's mom... :think:

fuzzyroes
09-07-2017, 09:40 PM
Really? Oh, well it was a memorial nonetheless.

fuzzyroes
09-07-2017, 09:44 PM
The Soprano's was/is the greatest show ever made period

One of my favorite moments of that show was when Paulie was in charge of the carnival Father José, wants to raise the fee provided to the parish from $10,000 to $50,000. When Paulie considers it extortion and refuses to pay, Father José tells them they will not be able to use the golden hat worn by the Saint Elzear, a traditional part of the statue's garb.

There were so many great scenes in that show. A lot of good ones with Ralph Cifaretto too.

haha yeah that was awesome. I love Paulie.

Ralphs one of my favorites too. SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

SPOILER

SPOILER

TEH B0LLY DON'T READ THIS

SPOILER

I was watching the episode where he beats the stripper to death last night. My favorite scene of that episode is when Silvio comes to his place and violently removes the stripper from his place and is just being an all around dick and punches her in the face and then they show Ralphy looking out the window just laughing his head off, getting a huge kick out of it. Its just this very dark scene and there's Ralphys head poking in the window, cracking up.

Big Truck05
09-08-2017, 12:40 PM
Yeah, that episode was brutal. He and Tony's fight was epic when Pie O Mine gets torched. The bowling ball rolling down the stairs was sweet and the burying of the head in a different spot than the body was genius!

haha yeah that was awesome. I love Paulie.

Ralphs one of my favorites too. SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

SPOILER

SPOILER

TEH B0LLY DON'T READ THIS

SPOILER

I was watching the episode where he beats the stripper to death last night. My favorite scene of that episode is when Silvio comes to his place and violently removes the stripper from his place and is just being an all around dick and punches her in the face and then they show Ralphy looking out the window just laughing his head off, getting a huge kick out of it. Its just this very dark scene and there's Ralphys head poking in the window, cracking up.

slunken
09-08-2017, 04:41 PM
Did anyone ever watch The Brotherhood? I heard it was better than Sopranos but only lasted 2 seasons.

FlamingGlobes
09-08-2017, 06:19 PM
Really? Oh, well it was a memorial nonetheless.

Yeah, I actually watched that one a few nights back. I started my third re-watch last summer but puttered out in the middle of season two. Talking/reading about it in this thread inspired me to pick it up back up and I'm about a third of the way through season 3.

fuzzyroes
09-08-2017, 08:59 PM
For me I've been fast-fowarding through a lot of the Meadow drama and that nonsense though. I mean sure, it was enticing enough the first time through, but it doesn't really translate to good re-watch value.

slunken
09-08-2017, 09:01 PM
My favorite Sopranos scene is when Meadow breaks up with her black boyfriend and Tony is just smirking and making breakfast. You keep expecting him to say something awful but it's all in his face.

FlamingGlobes
09-09-2017, 12:17 AM
For me I've been fast-fowarding through a lot of the Meadow drama and that nonsense though. I mean sure, it was enticing enough the first time through, but it doesn't really translate to good re-watch value.

Eh, I'm not big on "fast-forwarding" through stuff. Seems like cheating. Besides, the Meadow storylines were never too overpowering. If anything, she was one of the few grounded characters who wasn't afraid to call Tony on his bullshit. I always enjoyed her presence.

fuzzyroes
09-12-2017, 10:26 PM
Yeah don't get me wrong. I like her and all. But if you're watching a series for a 2nd time shortly after, there's just not a whole lot of replay value.

teh b0lly!!1
09-13-2017, 08:02 AM
three episodes into season six. i cannot tell you how happy i am that the quality on this show absolutely does not drop. it is just so beautifully written and executed, fuck me. i'm watching these episodes in complete awe, much in the same way i do with GoT because it's just so masterful in what it does. both shows are profoundly moving on a very deep level, but Sopranos manages to do it with so little. it's like the most minimalist show that just picks you up and crashes you against a wall by using the single most efficient and powerful movement, like kung fu or something. zero pyrotechnics, just a lot of great dialogue. if GoT is like an oil painter working with expensive materials and producing labored and glorious works, sopranos is like the incredible kid who can take a pencil, a pen and a piece of paper and put something on the page that will knock your socks off.

having a lead character that is in every scene in a coma for two full episodes to start off the season, somehow using it as a platform for a surreal, vivid nightmare that makes astute references and inversions to the character's real life as a powerful mob boss, and still keeping the story going in a significant and compelling way for multiple other characters - man, i absolutely take my hat off to these guys. this is brilliance.

i mean just the fact that a show about mobsters flirts so frequently and so convincingly with surrealism, and allows such a significant amount of the overall story (that is still firmly rooted in reality) to be told through that prism, is so fucking cool and inspired.

teh b0lly!!1
09-13-2017, 08:11 AM
and Edie Falco who plays Carmela is just the most astounding actress ever. holy shit like where did she come from? during the first few seasons i had literally no idea she can act this well. i even thought her jersey drawl was genuine, she's that good.
and she just keeps getting scenes on the show that raise the bar and she keeps KILLING IT every time, performance after performance of world class acting. it's crazy what that woman can do, honestly.

this has a confessional tehbolly review flavor, i might need to continue this in my ghost thread

killtrocity
09-16-2017, 02:50 PM
SPOILERS AGAIN

Spoilers

The high points on this show are really fucking high (University, Whitecaps, Pine Barrens, Funhouse, everything from season 6 unrelated to Gay Vito), but there are some bad lows (the Columbus episode Michael Imperioli did, parts of seasons 4-6). Regarding Breaking Bad comparisons -

Breaking Bad only really faltered at the beginning with Marie and the dumbass baby tiara subplot. And perhaps in season 5 when the writers became too self-aware and took the safe route with major plot points instead of crafting an ending like Sopranos did, an ending which is still being debated and appreciated 10 years later.

Sopranos is MUCH more ambitious in scope and narrative, similar to The Wire but still nowhere near that scale- whereas Breaking Bad has this laser sharp focus on about 5 characters, Sopranos frequently changes perspective, even for single shots at times ("I found Jimmy Hoffa!") and in doing so gives a much broader commentary on society as a whole, but also suffers at times from lack of direction (the episode where Carmela goes to Italy with Rosalie comes to mind, Melfi's rape comes out of nowhere and is never discussed again, some of the Ralphie stuff, much of Meadow's bullshit). Sopranos also is not afraid to kill of characters which is a plus. Jesse should have been dead in season 2.

Anyway both are really good at what they do - Breaking Bad has an extremely tight story predominantly about one specific person and is ultimately a simple tragedy about the choices we make. It never really makes any moral judgments nor requires the viewer to do so, it only requires that you understand why the characters make the choices that they make. The arc of Walter White is also unprecedented in any work of fiction I've seen. In terms of dramatic payoff and building tension it is also unsurpassed.

By contrast, Tony does not really have an arc - he attempts to better himself at times but ultimately ends up right back where he started at the very end which is what the ending was all about - you reap what you sow by living a life of violence and exploitation, whether that is a bullet to the face, a life of paranoia waiting for the other shoe to drop at any moment, or simply a life devoid of value or meaning beyond material gain. People never really change. That's an underlying theme in Sopranos. Name one character in the show who is in a different place in season 6 relative to season 1 (being dead doesn't count). It's really the most nihilistic story ever and it doesn't ring untrue at all which is what makes it so disturbing.

What Sopranos is really good at though is giving the perspective of 10-20+ characters to really thoroughly analyze a situation from multiple angles - this works particularly well when we see the perspective of the people being exploited (the guy from Terminator 2 who runs the sporting goods store, the guy in Members Only who hangs himself, the cop who loses his job, Artie, any of Tony's girlfriends, and on and on) to make a definitive moral point about why the actions of the main characters are so fucked up. In University for example there's this really striking contrast between how Tony and pals treat the strippers at the Bing versus how Tony treats his daughter and it's all very intentional to make a point about the way women are regarded in society. That sort of complex idea is never expressed so overtly in Breaking Bad. Most of the main characters are hypocrites and the show is very explicit at pointing this out, but there's also deeper commentary going on.

Anyway just wanted to chime in, either could be the best show ever but it depends what you're looking for. The Wire surpasses both regarding presentation of complex socioeconomic concepts, Breaking Bad is better at characterization and thrilling storytelling, and Sopranos is somewhere in between.

teh b0lly!!1
09-19-2017, 10:32 AM
finally finished burning through this show

all i can say is the final moment is perfect

FlamingGlobes
09-19-2017, 07:43 PM
Yeah, I get why the finale is divisive, but I really liked it. I can't really imagine how else they were supposed to end it.

Corny as it may be, that Journey song just fits so perfectly.

fuzzyroes
09-19-2017, 10:33 PM
I personally didn't get the vibe that he was supposed to die in the last scene, but there's been some pretty good cases made in an argument that he did. So I guess it was meant to be left open to interpretation by design.

But really, if the whole build-up was to suggest that tony gets whacked, they could have simply shown a split second of Meadow coming through the door and then cut to black and not exactly when he looks up with the scene perfectly correlating with the lyrics "don't stop".

reprise85
09-19-2017, 10:39 PM
you tell 'em fuzzy

FlamingGlobes
09-20-2017, 12:02 AM
don't stop

teh b0lly!!1
09-20-2017, 01:10 AM
i'm still drained but i'm cooking up a huge post about all this

i think the show kind of called it quits at the perfect moment. it became difficult to continue to engage and have vague sympathy for all these characters whose humanity is forever receding and declining. unadulterated psychopathy.

david chase said the finish wasn't supposed to rile anybody up, it was just the way it needed to come out and i completely believe him. it was all glorious and un-glorious at the same time. a cliffhanger and not a cliffhanger, an answer and a question. the most beautiful thing about the Sopranos, as several others have noted (which made me real happy tbh) was how un-sensationalist it was. it didn't try to affect your judgement, and it didn't render characters with any substantial bias. it allowed you to make up your own mind about these people, because they were believable AS PEOPLE. because people are different and multifaceted and hypocritical at different times. that's how good the writing was.

this ending - it doesn't even matter if Tony got whacked right then and there or not. the idea is that all this paranoia and fear he's dragging around like a sack of bodies on his back, it's just waiting to happen. today, in two years. it doesn't matter. the idea is we almost don't truly know if all those talks with Dr. Melfi were truly candid conversations with sincere intent of recovery behind them, or if they were just conversations of rationalization and enabling a psychopath to continue doing what he does. (and it was beautifully brought up within the show itself) it's all so beautifully balanced on a head of a pin - i now agree this is the GOAT so far that i have seen. Breaking Bad pales in comparison, and that truly says a lot.

teh b0lly!!1
09-20-2017, 04:22 AM
also did anybody else find it hilarious that AJ's story arc on season 6 is basically The Omega Concern: Origins?

reprise85
09-20-2017, 12:01 PM
i'm glad you liked it so much. what did you think of how christopher was murdered? for some reason i thought it happened way earlier in the series

FlamingGlobes
09-20-2017, 03:37 PM
also did anybody else find it hilarious that AJ's story arc on season 6 is basically The Omega Concern: Origins?

I dunno, is TOC really a big Blue October fan?

fuzzyroes
09-20-2017, 10:06 PM
i'm glad you liked it so much. what did you think of how christopher was murdered? for some reason i thought it happened way earlier in the series

Yeah, that was an interesting moment. I think perhaps Tony felt he was a gonner anyways, so he decided to put him out of his misery. Because when the doctor proclaims that it was serious, but he probably would have lived they show Tony kind of flinch and then after he continuously tries to justify it by pointing out how the tree went right through the baby seat.

teh b0lly!!1
09-20-2017, 11:33 PM

i thought it was a heavy handed (not in a bad way) display of the nihilistic nature of the show. it was just one cold decision, the straw that broke the camel's back, and that's it - he's gone. no dialogue, no process, no resolution. only death.

that scene didn't give you a big special moment to part with this really important character, it didn't make a show out of it. it's almost passed off as insignificant, the act itself - but what makes it worthwhile is seeing how Tony deals with it later on. how he's absolutely dead inside, but some kind of feeling, something, is trying to come out of him and he doesn't even know what it is. it's relief, regret that things hadn't gone differently, deep sorrow, disappointment in his protégé, in himself.

when he's gambling and goes on a winning streak, he suddenly mumbles "he's dead", and crashes on the floor laughing. but you know you're not watching a scene about somebody being happy that the jinx has finally been removed. you're watching somebody mourning in their own strange way.

also when Tony and that girl go tripping on a dry piece of cactus, the episode ends with him screaming "I GET IT!" into the mountainous void, and James Gandolfini's face wears this heartbreaking expression of insurmountable sorrow, before smiling again in anaesthetized relief. like, i dunno man. it's just so beautiful. no other show has ever made itself revolve around details so small. it's always about big greek tragedies and major plot developments with plots on film or television, but Sopranos is just so human and tangible, even though it does so by telling the story of people with very little humanity.

it's just something that managed to become greater than the sum of its parts. all you can do is absorb it and respect.

reprise85
09-20-2017, 11:49 PM
Yeah, that was an interesting moment. I think perhaps Tony felt he was a gonner anyways, so he decided to put him out of his misery. Because when the doctor proclaims that it was serious, but he probably would have lived they show Tony kind of flinch and then after he continuously tries to justify it by pointing out how the tree went right through the baby seat.

I mean it's been a long time since I saw it but from what I remember Tony had given Chris a ton of chances and instead of having to deal with cutting him out of the family business he saw a way to not have to deal with it and took it

reprise85
09-20-2017, 11:52 PM
i thought it was a heavy handed (not in a bad way) display of the nihilistic nature of the show. it was just one cold decision, the straw that broke the camel's back, and that's it - he's gone. no dialogue, no process, no resolution. only death.

that scene didn't give you a big special moment to part with this really important character, it didn't make a show out of it. it's almost passed off as insignificant, the act itself - but what makes it worthwhile is seeing how Tony deals with it later on. how he's absolutely dead inside, but some kind of feeling, something, is trying to come out of him and he doesn't even know what it is. it's relief, regret that things hadn't gone differently, deep sorrow, disappointment in his protégé, in himself.

when he's gambling and goes on a winning streak, he suddenly mumbles "he's dead", and crashes on the floor laughing. but you know you're not watching a scene about somebody being happy that the jinx has finally been removed. you're watching somebody mourning in their own strange way.

also when Tony and that girl go tripping on a dry piece of cactus, the episode ends with him screaming "I GET IT!" into the mountainous void, and James Gandolfini's face wears this heartbreaking expression of insurmountable sorrow, before smiling again in anaesthetized relief. like, i dunno man. it's just so beautiful. no other show has ever made itself revolve around details so small. it's always about big greek tragedies and major plot developments with plots on film or television, but Sopranos is just so human and tangible, even though it does so by telling the story of people with very little humanity.

it's just something that managed to become greater than the sum of its parts. all you can do is absorb it and respect.

good post

teh b0lly!!1
09-21-2017, 12:07 AM
actually you know what, this last point i made was something i had wanted to respond to Killtrocity's post with. this part:

Sopranos frequently changes perspective, even for single shots at times ("I found Jimmy Hoffa!") and in doing so gives a much broader commentary on society as a whole, but also suffers at times from lack of direction (the episode where Carmela goes to Italy with Rosalie comes to mind, Melfi's rape comes out of nowhere and is never discussed again, some of the Ralphie stuff, much of Meadow's bullshit). Sopranos also is not afraid to kill of characters which is a plus. Jesse should have been dead in season 2.

both of those examples you had described as 'lacking direction', i thought were really great writing excursions that branched out in an interesting way, while also conveying to the audience something new about the characters at hand. actually, as a sweeping statement, i would say Sopranos excelled in never boring the viewers with insignificant or redundant plot lines (very unlike many, many, many other shows) - nearly everything that was put on the screen was interesting or engaging in some form or another.

the Dr. Melfi rape was one of the highlights of the show for me, because it:

a) enabled us to get a rare glimpse into Dr. Melfi's own struggles, wants and desires as a human being. and the reason that's so beautiful is the sharp contrast between her personality as a therapist. as a psychiatrist, she is mostly a "non-person" - she puts up this big opaque chrome wall over herself, and is almost exclusively there (that is, in the sessions) as an unbiased, neutral therapeutic figure. she was tried, and was able to get through the ordeal by staying true to her moral compass - that makes you respect her more on a personal level, not just as "Tony's Generic Therapist".

b) it developed and deepened her character, and made us (the audience) realize what kind of considerations having such a high-profile patient entails, and what kind of responsibility that demands of a highly moral and functional person who, unlike most of the other protagonists on the show, refuses to cut herself any slack and take the easy way out (asking Tony to justly brutalize this lowlife Employee Of The Month).

c) it gave us this most beautiful moment of seeing such a capable, intelligent, strong therapist break during a session with a patient. and more importantly - it shone a light on this grey area, of ethics and personal morals and what is just, vs. what is vigilantism.

same thing goes for Carmela's trip to Rome with Rosalie. the contrast between the two characters - Rosalie being decidedly prosaic, very grounded and blocked off emotionally, opposite Carmela who is so emotional, like an open wound, soaking up everything she sees and diving into philosophical thoughts that highlight her struggles and difficulties in all this constant stream of shit that comes with living alongside Tony.

the scene where Carmela stands there and touches a wall that dates way way back, and thinks about all the lives that were once there, and "washed away". that was just so powerful (with yet another flawless acting performance by the amazing Edie Falco) and profound.

for me, if we're talking about half-baked storylines, i always felt the Tony B arc was kinda odd, and left a lot of loose ends that could have made great, great plot developments. missed opportunities. it just seemed like there was something better to be done with that plot. but eh, it really is hard to complain when a show is THAT good.

fuzzyroes
09-21-2017, 12:28 AM
I mean it's been a long time since I saw it but from what I remember Tony had given Chris a ton of chances and instead of having to deal with cutting him out of the family business he saw a way to not have to deal with it and took it

Yeah, I think ultimately it was a bit of both. Like as if he thought "oh shit, Chris is fucked", cause they make a point of Tony looking distraught as Chris is gushing blood from the mouth and then they show him dialing 9-1-1 and then thinks "hmmm maybe him dying would be for the best, and he's probably fucked and gonna die anyways, I'll put him out of his misery".

That's why they make a big point in the script for the doctor to say, "it was bad, but if he would have came in right away he would have lived" and then they show Tony kind of twitch.

teh b0lly!!1
09-21-2017, 12:29 AM
ok just one more thing and i'll shut up -

re: all the Breaking Bad vs. The Sopranos conversation itt, i think it's worth noting that there has NEVER (at least not to the best of my knowledge) been a more uncompromising antihero protagonist than Tony Soprano.

even Walter White begs more sympathy than him; he was a good person, a devoted father, a particularly brilliant man who simply snapped after receiving devastating news. those are character traits designed to make you give this character a chance - they're qualities that make you sympathetic to him from the get go.

but Tony Soprano - he's the same deeply flawed person from the very beginning to the very end. he's a hypocrite, he's violent, he has no respect for women, he's ruthless. it's only up to an incredible actor like James Gandolfini to breathe life into him, and somehow manage to make him a person you can watch for 6 seasons without feeling intense hate for him. he's very charming, very convincing in the way he walks the tightrope between being the psycopath who looks for excuses to justify his destructive behavior, that leaves a trail of tears and blood in his wake, and somehow being an endearing person who you actually believe cares about the people he loves, and who deals with his shit the only way he knows how.

the script is very adamant about never trying to get you to like Tony. he is who he is, with no sugarcoating it for "unpure" reasons, like making it the show more accessible. it's this weird alchemy and combination between a perfect set of actors, great script, and great execution and presentation that makes all this work.

that's also one of the reasons the finale was so good - they had built up this sense of impending doom, without really fully getting there. but they make you realize the wheels have been set in motion. and it almost tries to say, right at that last shot of tony looking up - "can you really continue to justify this person?"

teh b0lly!!1
09-21-2017, 02:10 AM
jesus i can't stop. forgive me for polluting this thread, but one thing i do have to criticize, is several inconsistencies with Dr. Melfi's character.

her sessions with Tony are, for the most part, very well written, insightful and profound, and fairly convincing as a depiction of real therapy. but then you have these little things that a real psychiatrist would never do, that Dr Melfi does on the show -

for example, at one point in the show she accepts Carmela for an appointment, even though Tony has been her patient for years! and iirc even talks to her about some of the things her husband has been talking about, breaking medical confidentiality. i mean isn't this at the very least conflict of interest, and crossing a red line as a mental health doctor?

and even worse than that, perhaps, is the last session with Tony. after building up this near-immaculate doctor persona through all those years, never judging Tony or surrendering to immediate impulse, their last session just has Dr Melfi lashing out at Tony, sneering sarcastic comments at him, being judgemental and abusive, and cutting him off therapy at a crucial time in his life (right after AJ's suicide attempt) without any notice. i mean it's well established that she does so because she thinks her practice is only enabling Tony to continue doing the things he does, but i don't know. it felt like a jarring change, and a sour note to depart with that character on.

reprise would probably know much more about what an actual therapist can and cannot do, but it just rubbed me the wrong way. especially after the character of Dr Melfi has been so stern for so long.

reprise85
09-21-2017, 02:46 AM
first problem with dr. melfi is that she is either a psychologist who can prescribe medicine (only in a couple states this is possible and NJ is not one), or she's a psychiatrist who has zero medical equipment and looks in all regards like a psychologist. in reality, she should have had to refer tony out for medication

about carmela. when they were in session together, things are basically up for grabs as far as legally speaking, however melfi and tony should have discussed it first. however yes when she comes in alone, unless tony explicitly says they can talk about him, they can't. and once again, even if tony gives up rights to medical information, any good psychologist wouldn't give up information like she did without a really, really good reason.

she also lets it be known to her friends that she is seeing tony soprano as a patient. if something like that ever slipped out she would need to talk to a lawyer. she might be obligated to tell tony. she might be obligated to tell on herself to the medical board. she couldn't just be like well shucks oops

finally, the way she closes the sessions i think is ok. because she has been enabling him for a long time and instead of dealing with why she was seeing someone she knew was a psychopath and potentially dangerous to her she totally took the easy way out. of course professionally this is patient abandonment and not ok, but in the context of the series it makes sense why she reacted this way. seeing him was fulfilling some kind of need in her and when her cognitive dissonance became strong enough she dropped him like a hot potato.

FlamingGlobes
09-21-2017, 05:17 PM
even Walter White begs more sympathy than him; he was a good person, a devoted father, a particularly brilliant man who simply snapped after receiving devastating news. those are character traits designed to make you give this character a chance - they're qualities that make you sympathetic to him from the get go.

I'm picking nits here, but the thing about Walt was that his break wasn't just about one single event. It was a lifetime of being passed over, fucked over and marginalized. The cancer was just the cherry on top.

teh b0lly!!1
09-22-2017, 05:39 AM
yeah i could agree with that. it kinda started out as just snapping and then turned into an ugly monster.

but regardless, my point was that he had a sympathetic core to attract the viewers to. he wasn't a completely morally dubious character from the get-go like tony was.

FlamingGlobes
09-22-2017, 05:55 PM
Oh yeah, definitely. That's why I was rooting for Walt right up until the bitter end, beyond when I knew I should be. I could just identify with so much of his "everyman being trampled on" persona.

fuzzyroes
10-03-2017, 07:54 PM
For all you Sopranos fans, the guy who plays Christopher guest-stars in the latest episode of "Dice" (Andrew Dice Clays show on Showtime) as himself. It's pretty funny and cool to see him again.

buzzard
10-03-2017, 07:59 PM
They did another season?

Wow. That's unexpected.

teh b0lly!!1
10-03-2017, 09:18 PM
man i really murdered all conversation itt with my ramblings. sorry guys.

fuzzyroes
10-04-2017, 10:35 PM
They did another season?

Wow. That's unexpected.

Yeah man, I was just browsing around and there was 6 episodes added. I'm not sure if this seasons only going to be 6 episodes like the first season was, as the end of the latest episode doesn't really seem like it's a conclusion to a season... But who the hell knows.

It's pretty much just Curb Your Enthusiasm but from Andrew Dice Clays perception.

Dice is a pretty funny show, but it's nothing special... Still the scenes with Michael Imperoli (sp?) are priceless. Definitely a must see for any Sopranos fan.

fuzzyroes
10-04-2017, 10:38 PM
man i really murdered all conversation itt with my ramblings. sorry guys.

Nah man. Your write-ups were great!

Just don't really have anything to add:p

teh b0lly!!1
10-04-2017, 11:04 PM
my first time watching Michael Imperioli was in The Basketball Diaries

one of the first drug movies to corrupt my innocence. good times