View Full Version : Anyone else's christian parents have a problem w/sp?

run2pee
02-12-2017, 12:32 AM
Back in 1999, when I was wearing 2 or 3 sp shirts per week, my bible-belter dad would always shake his head, wag his finger. He didn't care that I was into Metallica or nirvana or Black Sabbath or any other heavy bands. But re SP he goes:
"I've seen them. I KNOW WHAT THEY REPRESENT!!!!"

He was really butthurt over it! Even tho I never cut, drank/smoke, did rituals, or even got anyone pregnant; he still felt I was on a hiway to hell cause I listen to that naughty SP

crabshack
02-12-2017, 12:35 AM
lol no

ohnoitsbonnie
02-12-2017, 01:15 AM
I think you're lying because you've posted about drinking and smoking and being a dad

toase
02-12-2017, 01:27 AM
Because it's gay

run2pee
02-12-2017, 01:49 AM
Because it's gay

lol true true

He did elaborate at one point: "Expressing yourselfs one thing; if'n you wanna be the next Clapton, go ahead, try. But when it's convincing children to wearing leather and have sex I think they should be drug right out into the street AND SHOT!!!!"

run2pee
02-12-2017, 01:49 AM
Attn bill my dad thinks u should b drug in2 steet and shot

run2pee
02-12-2017, 01:50 AM
I think you're lying because you've posted about drinking and smoking and being a dad

Obviously, I did all the bad stuff after I moved out from his house, silly bon bon

redbreegull
02-12-2017, 02:02 AM
god is empty just like me

ohnoitsbonnie
02-12-2017, 03:09 AM
Farewell goodnight last one out turn out the light

qwerty sp
02-12-2017, 03:55 AM
Have you accepted Jesus Christ as your lord and saviour?

FoolofaTook
02-12-2017, 04:04 AM
I did. I was baptized at the age of eleven, by my father.

I played my dad that butter my toast song from zwan. he said the vocals were really bad.

FoolofaTook
02-12-2017, 04:06 AM
My first exposure to tsp was maybe 96ish. saw bwbw and adore on mtv. was horrified, certain that they were satanic. lol

T&T
02-12-2017, 09:28 AM
it's music for nihilistic depressed teens. yr dad read that correctly. like shooting fish in a barrel.

vixnix
02-12-2017, 10:32 AM
My Dad just said "I paid all that money for piano lessons and now you listen to this rubbish" and

"the drum kit is not a musical instrument, it's just noise"

FlamingGlobes
02-12-2017, 06:17 PM
Obviously, I did all the bad stuff after I moved out from his house, silly bon bon

Being a dad qualifies as bad stuff?

I knew it!

crabshack
02-12-2017, 10:38 PM
My Dad just said "I paid all that money for piano lessons and now you listen to this rubbish" and

nice

myosis
02-13-2017, 06:36 PM
it's music for nihilistic depressed teens. yr dad read that correctly. like shooting fish in a barrel.
my dad thought that of nirvana. had nothing against any other CDs in my collection, but he was concerned about the kurt cobain... cause he killed himself.
never said a word later about marilyn manson.

MyOneAndOnly
02-13-2017, 07:27 PM
back in the 80s when I was in high school, dying my hair and wearing all black clothes and listening to Depeche Mode and New Order my dad pulled me aside one day and said "I get that kids like to wear strange clothes cause I was into the Beatles when I was younger and that's OK as long as you're not a faggot."

Corgan's Bluff
02-13-2017, 08:21 PM
back in the 80s when I was in high school, dying my hair and wearing all black clothes and listening to Depeche Mode and New Order my dad pulled me aside one day and said "I get that kids like to wear strange clothes cause I was into the Beatles when I was younger and that's OK as long as you're not a faggot."

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/CTLlzHyfyS8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Disco King
02-13-2017, 08:35 PM

I don't get this one... it's not like percussion is peculiar to rock music.

Disco King
02-13-2017, 08:36 PM
I wore eyeliner to school in sixth grades and my parents exploded.

DaveKShape
02-13-2017, 08:51 PM
My parents were Christian but actively approved of me listening to rock music. My Dad didn't dig Pumpkins too much but he thought Soundgarden were pretty cool. (even though they reunited for the $$$)

russticles
02-13-2017, 10:44 PM
(even though they reunited for the $$$)

lololololol

ohnoitsbonnie
02-13-2017, 11:02 PM
I wore eyeliner to school in sixth grades and my parents exploded.

Come to my house with eyeliner on and nothing else

Disco King
02-13-2017, 11:44 PM
That will be an awkward Greyhound bus ride.

ohnoitsbonnie
02-14-2017, 12:17 AM
Lmao u guy

Gooch
02-14-2017, 02:05 AM
My parents were confused when they heard "farewell and goodnight," because they couldn't understand​ how a band called Smashing pumpkins could have such peaceful music.

Gooch
02-14-2017, 02:06 AM
They assumed it was all loud crash bangy tunes

redbreegull
02-14-2017, 02:14 AM
my parents both like SP

but one time I was watching Vieuphoria when my dad came home from work and it was the end where they are playing star spangled banner and James is screaming and my dad was like, "SCREAMING TO END A CONCERT? THAT'S HORRIBLE. SOMEONE SHOULD SHOOT THAT GUY IN THE HEAD/"

ohnoitsbonnie
02-14-2017, 02:48 AM
But your parents are jewish rbg

ohnoitsbonnie
02-14-2017, 02:49 AM
They assumed it was all loud crash bangy tunes

Well it's consistently screechy, whiny tunes

T&T
02-14-2017, 11:29 AM
in my house when my parents would tell me to turn off the music I'd be allowed to play "one more song". I'd always put on pastichio medley. I clearly wanted my parents to hate SP/I was such a shitty kid.

D.
02-14-2017, 12:09 PM
All music except piano based gospel music was unacceptable in our house. My mom was a real taskmaster.

My dad listened to hair metal in his work van/garage though. And my mom admits now to liking the Motown music of her youth. But she never played it while we were growing up. I did find a Cher double-cassette live album in her closet once. And nowadays she's more lax - she'll ask me to youtube a song now and then. She likes mom songs like "Happy" by Pharell and once she admitted to liking an Ingrid Michelson song they played on the Today show or something.

MplsTaper
02-14-2017, 12:46 PM
Besides going to weddings and funerals my mom and step father were not outgoing christians. They mostly did not care for Marilyn Manson and Nine Inch Nails though. Sophomore year of high school a small group of 4 or 5 of us talked our parents into letting us go to the 01/14/97 show 2.5 hours away in Sioux Falls, SD. The father of one of the girls going was even cool enough to drive us there and back the same night. I probably should have married that girl. I also recall everyone besides maybe one person in the group got to skip school the next day.

glass85
02-14-2017, 01:36 PM
my dad thought that of nirvana. had nothing against any other CDs in my collection, but he was concerned about the kurt cobain... cause he killed himself.
never said a word later about marilyn manson.

Anyone who kills himself is a loser.

run2pee
02-14-2017, 01:39 PM
one time I was watching Vieuphoria when my dad came home from work and it was the end where they are playing star spangled banner and James is screaming and my dad was like, "SCREAMING TO END A CONCERT? THAT'S HORRIBLE. SOMEONE SHOULD SHOOT THAT GUY IN THE HEAD/"

Interesting both our dads should have such an emotional, violent reaction

Provokes an interesting thought experiment: what would have happened if, at the height of SP's fame, our dads had joined forces to (1) drag bill out into the street and shoot him, and then (2) shoot James in the head

Would future alternative rock performers take better care not to end concerts by shouting? Would they stop relentlessly provoking children to dress gay and do sex to each other? Also, would Jimmy and D'arcy find the will to carry on? Or would they both just give up and join a perfect circle, instead?

myosis
02-14-2017, 03:32 PM
he specifically said he sang songs about suicide...
for the record my dad doesn't speak english.
maybe he checked the lyrics booklet and saw the word suicide (same spelling in french) in the song Milk It? that was still uncharacteristic for my dad.

wHATcOLOR
02-14-2017, 03:35 PM
i remember being very depressed at age 17/18 and my parents had a big problem w/ me listening to an album called "mellon collie and the infinite sadness" while in that state. but it really had to do w/ the album name not really the music

smashingjj
02-14-2017, 07:12 PM

noted, "glass85"

crabshack
02-14-2017, 08:47 PM
My mom loved SP. She also said NIN sounded like Prince.

redbreegull
02-14-2017, 10:01 PM
But your parents are jewish rbg

yeah I was not allowed to listen to Manson because he dressed up like a Nazi

I pointed out to my dad this was really no different or worse than his parents freaking out over Alice Cooper staging executions at his shows

he was smart enough to know I was making sense, but enough of an asshole to not care. But I listened to Manson anyway.

FoolofaTook
02-14-2017, 10:50 PM
My dad broke a backstreet boys cd that i borrowed from a friend

friend was pissed lolol

qwerty sp
02-15-2017, 01:18 AM
yeah I was not allowed to listen to Manson because he dressed up like a Nazi

I pointed out to my dad this was really no different or worse than his parents freaking out over Alice Cooper staging executions at his shows

he was smart enough to know I was making sense, but enough of an asshole to not care. But I listened to Manson anyway.

Go and post in my Manson thread, pronto!

Pweeze

D.
02-15-2017, 02:59 AM
i had a tonight tonight poster in my room for months until my mom went on a kick and made me tear it down. not just take it down, but RIP IT UP.

cool parents, guys.

dreams of glass
02-15-2017, 04:23 AM
I read that as a "problem lisp"

dreams of glass
02-15-2017, 04:24 AM
Thmathing Pumkinth

myosis
02-15-2017, 10:18 AM
so anyone's christian parents not have a problem with SP?

Lt_Beans_McGood
02-16-2017, 10:14 AM

actually laughed out loud

had similar interaction with my dad

run2pee
02-16-2017, 10:55 AM
so anyone's christian parents not have a problem with SP?

I keep waiting for one of you junior scientists to post a bitchin parody thread, maybe "anyone else's satanist parents make them listen to sp in the womb?" or "anyone else's dead parents taste like bleu cheese?" but nooooooo

ohnoitsbonnie
02-22-2017, 04:58 PM
https://i.redd.it/tv2l6p14a3hy.jpg

Mals Marola
02-23-2017, 01:45 AM
it's weird to think SP used to be a "scary" band, in this post-teagarden world

and no, this was not a band my parents ever had a problem with

Mals Marola
02-23-2017, 01:47 AM
actually my parents weren't really too bothered with what i listened to, provided it didn't have a fat PA sticker on the front

my mom specifically pointed out that she liked Adore, when i had it on one time in high school

myosis
02-23-2017, 05:09 PM
i'm glad that the mellon collie artwork wasn't ruined by a big Parental Advisory logo

Virex Kills
02-26-2017, 12:50 AM
While this doesn't answer your question - at all - , just thought I'd throw this in:
Im an ordained minister. A few weeks ago, I fanboyed and nonchalantly referenced Medellia of the Grey Skies in my sermon.

qwerty sp
02-26-2017, 01:01 AM
Roman Catholics support Mary Star of the Sea

T&T
02-26-2017, 03:05 AM
While this doesn't answer your question - at all - , just thought I'd throw this in:
Im an ordained minister. A few weeks ago, I fanboyed and nonchalantly referenced Medellia of the Grey Skies in my sermon.
what'd you say?
did you describe yourself as an empty promise?

bright_doom
02-26-2017, 07:31 AM
By the time when I started listening to SP (15 in 2008) My conservative christian mum didn't care about what I listened to anymore. However, she forbade me to listen to Blink 182 and Linkin Park when I was 10, in hindsight, I'm glad she did.

run2pee
02-26-2017, 08:17 AM

Oh, hello!

As T&T signaled above, this thread is now about your Grey Skies sermon, can't u paste it please for us? I was just listening to MOTGS and thinking (1) that bill should have recorded more from the bathtub, and also (2) that more young preachers should make bitchin sermons about sp lyrics.

Don't be shy; it may even help some of us lost souls, even if you hear some sniggering from the back pews

FoolofaTook
02-26-2017, 11:56 PM
Virex Kills you should like totally invite us all to your church. i promise to be born again and flail and weep and get baptized and shit, you know.

FoolofaTook
02-26-2017, 11:57 PM
TOC could do the special music.

Rbg and teh bolly could not participate in the service since they are of the tribes of israel.

FoolofaTook
02-26-2017, 11:59 PM
Bonnie could do the children's story with the aid of an assortment of mice rats hamsters chinchillas etc etc

redbreegull
02-27-2017, 12:02 AM
TOC could do the special music.

Rbg and teh bolly could not participate in the service since they are of the tribes of israel.

i'll put a jewish curse on you all

FoolofaTook
02-27-2017, 12:47 AM
Not if i rebuke you first in the name of the holy rood

!

redbreegull
02-27-2017, 03:45 AM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-2E4y0WGSvtE/VLRYAUgyqOI/AAAAAAAAAAY/clb45pWXrxc/s1600/9W6bj9Z-1.gif

Cool As Ice Cream
02-27-2017, 04:47 AM
i hope monte makes c wilson wear a floral print dress and a tampon up his ass and then throat fucks him until he pukes all over montes crotch and then monte goes home and his wife bathes him with epsom salts and shits in his mouth

FoolofaTook
02-27-2017, 11:33 AM
That's some pretty intense shit right there.

FoolofaTook
02-27-2017, 11:34 AM
The floral print dress was a nice touch.

topleybird
02-27-2017, 04:59 PM
This thread just made me realize I've never heard my father listen to any kind of music by choice

Like all the old reel-to-reel tapes we had were Bill Cosby standup routines or Christmas music or something

But one time on a road trip I made him listen to Pisces on a loop and he said something I'll never forget: "It's too noisy, but the drums are really good"

FoolofaTook
02-27-2017, 07:37 PM
that's a redbull quote

Yeah you would know... SINCE ITS ABOUT U AARONIOS MAXIMOS!!!!

AHA!

FoolofaTook
02-27-2017, 07:37 PM
(Dade is c wilson right?)

Bomb The Moon
02-28-2017, 09:35 AM
my hyper-catholic parents threw out my copies of Janes Addiction - Nothing's Shocking (because, boobies on the cover... and god hates boobs!) and also RHCP - Californication (because, fornication???). i'm sure there was other shit too, but those two stand out...

they also tried to talk me out of being a SP fan, because one of their god magazines listed them as having donated $$$ to pro-choice charities.

hallelujah. praise Cathol.

FoolofaTook
02-28-2017, 10:27 AM
Heh. That just reminded me of my mom freaking out over the machina artwork in the cd booklet. i had kept it hidden but my 10 year old brother found it and when my mom saw him looking at it she had a fit. good times.

Cool As Ice Cream
02-28-2017, 10:59 AM
Heh. That just reminded me of my mom freaking out over the machina artwork in the cd booklet. i had kept it hidden but my 10 year old brother found it and when my mom saw him looking at it she had a fit. good times.

check out this censored version from indonesia:
http://spfreaks.com/wp-content/uploads/itemimages/cds-official/id/cd-id-machinaa.jpg
http://spfreaks.com/item/machina-the-machines-of-god-104/

you should have gotten one of those.

run2pee
02-28-2017, 01:12 PM

Hmmm it's been long time since I perused that booklet; what, was there a bare peener hidden in there or something?

(Asking for my dad)