View Full Version : You dropped a Bob-omb on me

FlamingGlobes
12-29-2016, 10:15 PM
http://cdn.wikimg.net/strategywiki/images/thumb/3/3b/Mario64-world1-01.jpg/300px-Mario64-world1-01.jpg

redbreegull
12-29-2016, 10:15 PM
let's-a-go

FlamingGlobes
12-29-2016, 10:17 PM
So long gay Bowser!

FlamingGlobes
12-29-2016, 10:18 PM
let's-a-go

I always thought it sounded like he said "Let's tinkle!" when you started up Mario 64.

reprise85
12-29-2016, 10:42 PM
should have kept my pos rep for this parody thread, B+

Elphenor
12-29-2016, 10:44 PM
Earliest memory of gaming throwing King Bomb on his ass

redbreegull
12-29-2016, 10:45 PM
I always thought it sounded like he said "Let's tinkle!" when you started up Mario 64.

I had a friend who was convinced he was saying "pickle"

LaBelle
12-29-2016, 11:10 PM
I could never get that far in that game. Stupid water level.

teh b0lly!!1
12-29-2016, 11:11 PM
glad this thread is here cause i just realized i have something i need to dump.

recently i started hearing about the new Super Mario Run for iPhones, and that it was kind of a nice little nostalgic offshoot. i got really excited, because i'm a huge mario boy and spent the majority of my childhood burning through every possible mario game (allstar+world). but alas, after checking out a gameplay video (couldn't download it cause i have an android phone) i was so incredibly disappointed.

they really wrecked that franchise forever. it's so grossly tacky now, with awful incredibly grating music and that stupid italian pizza guy voice (LETSAGO! WOO HOO! SHUT THE GODDAMNFUCK UP). it really made me realize how tasteful the old games were. peace out Mario, i loved you like a bro.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/AqturoCh5lM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

LaBelle
12-29-2016, 11:12 PM
Super Mario 3d World on the Wii U is SO GOOD tho.

Missing. out.

Wa-Hoo

teh b0lly!!1
12-29-2016, 11:16 PM
checking out some gameplay vids, not gonna lie, it does look much more faithful to the old mario games, and even kinda fun

LaBelle
12-29-2016, 11:18 PM
Plus the cat suit is the cutest!

http://www.gamerbrain.net/wp-content/gallery/super-mario-3d-world-3/ss3.jpg

teh b0lly!!1
12-29-2016, 11:23 PM
what powers does that give you?

oh man i was a sucker for that raccoon suit

or frog suit

or...

LaBelle
12-29-2016, 11:29 PM
You can climb up walls, pounce on enemies and you get a little more agile I believe.

FlamingGlobes
12-29-2016, 11:30 PM
I could never get that far in that game. Stupid water level.

You talking about the Bob-omb part? Cuz that was the first part of the game.

And I fucking loved the underwater/shipwreck level. The ambiance was just out of this world at that time.

FlamingGlobes
12-29-2016, 11:33 PM
I liked Super Mario 3D World well enough, but I don't like the way they hold your hand throughout. They really kinda dumbed it down with all of the "Do you need help? Here's invincibility." I hate that aspect of modern Nintendo. Also, the world felt really small. I would love to have another 64 or even Sunshine at this point. I wanna get lost in the Mushroom Kingdom.

LaBelle
12-29-2016, 11:33 PM
You talking about the Bob-omb part? Cuz that was the first part of the game.

And I fucking loved the underwater/shipwreck level. The ambiance was just out of this world at that time.

It was fully underwater and I remember getting super frustrated cause it got real hard to control and I was just drowning constantly. That sucked.

run2pee
12-30-2016, 01:33 AM
I really enjoyed the Mario galaxies on Wii and am currently playing thru the 3DS Mario, but I get what you're saying b0lls ... modern marios got this sheen of flagship-trademarked-legacy-franchise that seems very far removed from the earlier games, which had a sort of mystery to them

Once I dreamed I found a new world in Mario 3 that was all rainbows with a pirate ship and stuff. Can still remember being disappointed to wake up and find it wasn't tru

teh b0lly!!1
12-30-2016, 01:48 AM
modern marios got this sheen of flagship-trademarked-legacy-franchise that seems very far removed from the earlier games, which had a sort of mystery to them

yea this is a good way of putting it.
i feel like the original mario's had a good amount of genuine, oddball creativity to them, with a lot of quirky stuff made very accessible and fun. modern mario's have not a touch of that stuff - they seem mostly preoccupied with not fucking up the formula (that is like a third generation inaccurate copy of what made the originals so great), and adding unnecessary histrionics.

LaBelle
12-30-2016, 09:17 AM
I honestly think a lot of what you guys are saying are still there despite the games becoming more kid friendly and more modern in certain respects.

There is a LOT of batshit insanity going on in modern Mario games.

run2pee
12-30-2016, 01:22 PM
Yeah, and I still love it

Might have something to do with the changeover from 2d sprites to 3d polygons ... you have to fill in more of the blanks, use your imagination more with the 2d stuf

Also I am just a big fat nostalgia fiend, "everything was radder in the 90s"

redbreegull
12-30-2016, 01:30 PM
It was fully underwater and I remember getting super frustrated cause it got real hard to control and I was just drowning constantly. That sucked.

there were like 123449 different worlds in Mario 64 but you probably mean Dire Dire Docks. I also remember it being very frustrating to control Mario underwater. The camera would move around and then he would go in some random direction you weren't trying to make him go at all.

But Mario 64 was fun because you don't have to get every star or even visit every world to get to the end of the game.