View Full Version : Reddit usernames and social media withdrawal

ohnoitsbonnie
11-07-2016, 11:59 AM
Reddit talks about netphoria sometimes, but I mostly use reddit to identify plants and look at cat gifs. The majority of opinions + culture on there can be pretty awful and "cringe-y" at times.

A while back, I deleted instagram. It suprised me that I had been using it for so long, but it had become a different place where the major goal seemed to be distracting and advertising to the user.

Do you use reddit? What for?

You have my consent to stalk my reddit-ing if you wish: I am: Mertensia virginica (https://www.reddit.com/user/Mertensiavirginica/)

reprise85
11-07-2016, 12:21 PM
I am psychrev (https://www.reddit.com/user/psychrev/comments/)

I read some political stuff, psych stuff, morbid reality, unresolved mysteries, baby elephant gifts, crappy/asshole design, TIL, explain like I'm 5, petty revenge, buy it for life/frugal, eat cheap and healthy, morbid questions, floridaman

to name a few

ohnoitsbonnie
11-07-2016, 12:28 PM
http://i.imgur.com/F9qzfPd.jpg

ohnoitsbonnie
11-07-2016, 12:29 PM
I gotta clear it out a lil

reprise85
11-07-2016, 10:21 PM
http://i.imgur.com/CtrwiRy.png

reprise85
11-07-2016, 10:24 PM
i know watchpeopledie is :erm: but i dont watch gory shit, im just fascinated with the moment of unexpected death. like people are alive and then they are suddenly dead it's very strange if you think about it

ohnoitsbonnie
11-07-2016, 11:20 PM
Yeah. No kidding.

ohnoitsbonnie
11-07-2016, 11:21 PM
You ever wake up with bloodshot eyes and don't know where you are? It's probably a mix of that and the moment you succumb to anesthesia. Or fainting from blood volume loss.

TuralyonW3
11-07-2016, 11:32 PM
I used to just look at funny and advice animals and some aww, but now I like to browse the first 3 or so pages of all every night with no filters to see the broad spectrum of what people are into

ohnoitsbonnie
11-07-2016, 11:51 PM
Misinformation, pseudoscience, 1-uping, misogyny, and being all around annoying nerds.

reprise85
11-07-2016, 11:57 PM
You ever wake up with bloodshot eyes and don't know where you are? It's probably a mix of that and the moment you succumb to anesthesia. Or fainting from blood volume loss.

i'm hoping it's nothing, you're just gone

whenever i choke a little on food or cough a lot or need to get my inhaler i start panicking and wondering if this is how i'm going to die. it's quite unsettling and it didn't used to be this way.

ohnoitsbonnie
11-08-2016, 12:20 AM
How did it used to be?

Disco King
11-08-2016, 12:32 AM
I just look at r/cringepics and r/guitarpedals, basically.

I subscribed to a lot of shit that looks interesting, but it never comes up on my front page. My front page is dominated by default subs, even though I unsuscribed from a lot of them. I just left some defaults subscribed to because they have something I might want to see every once in a while. But it seems like default stuff is all I ever see.

reprise85
11-08-2016, 01:05 AM
How did it used to be?

i didnt immediately think that i might be dying

LaBelle
11-08-2016, 07:45 AM
r/babymetal

:rockon:

toase
11-11-2016, 12:19 PM
behemothblackhole

I usually follow natureismetal

FlamingGlobes
11-11-2016, 12:30 PM
I haven't used social media since I dismantled my Facebook back in '11. These days, I'm grateful.

run2pee
11-11-2016, 03:01 PM
I haven't used social media since I dismantled my Facebook back in '11. These days, I'm grateful.

Uhhhhhhhuuuhhhh

Sorry to break it 2 u but u using it rite now son

FlamingGlobes
11-11-2016, 03:14 PM
What? NO!

FlamingGlobes
11-11-2016, 03:14 PM
Srsly though, you know what I mean. Social networking sites. Stuff like Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, Tinder, Grindr, Fister whatever.

Elphenor
11-11-2016, 04:35 PM
The internet is poison at this point and I'm waiting for the day I can disconnect it

It is not today though

reprise85
11-11-2016, 06:04 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

i will also admit i watch the suicide jumping videos because that is my suicide plan should i ever do it. it is kinda fucked up, i know it is

i also used to watch some of the mass disaster stuff but i watched the station nightclub fire video and it straight up traumatized me so i don't do that anymore...

FlamingGlobes
11-11-2016, 06:25 PM
The internet is poison at this point and I'm waiting for the day I can disconnect it

It is not today though

If not for online gaming and Netflix, I probably woulda ditched my internet connection long ago.

Elphenor
11-11-2016, 07:21 PM
My thoughts on the Internet are kind of too scattered for me to make a coherent post about but I think that by the time I came of age to use the internet it had long passed being anything other than another arm of this world where we create tiny personalized plastic boxes to live in, just another part of consumerism, Capitalism, The Market etc.

Mark E Smith put it all the way back in the 80's that computer tech and the internet was opposite to what humanity needs like eating more food to make yourself skinny

I needed more social exposure as a teenager but instead I turned to the Internet

"Whats a computer, Eat Y'self Fitter"

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yFCOt6wbm80" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Elphenor
11-11-2016, 07:23 PM
Became a recluse had a computer set up in the home saw the Holy Ghost I swear where's the cursor where's the eraser

reprise85
11-11-2016, 08:54 PM
Thanks Poots. (am i really saying that?)

run2pee
11-11-2016, 10:28 PM
Yeah

I've always been into the more "self help" verses myself, the stuff where I'm not asked to invest so hard in a cosmology, just given some tools to help me fight the nagging dark in my own stupid heart

reprise85
11-11-2016, 10:46 PM
You may or may not be religious, I don't know, but either way this is good advice:

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

That's a great verse or whatever it's called.

I do genuinely believe in the goodness of humans. Well, I believe that people are doing what they are doing because of survival needs that are not easy to parse into concrete decisions, if that makes sense. So people generally do good things because that is what helps the species and their own genes survive. But it doesn't matter why - it's true either way, that there is more good and cooperation in the world than deceit and non-cooperation. I'm actually a fairly optimistic person.

I just spent such a long time being abused (pretty much my whole life until 19) that the dark side of human nature also feels similar... that the people doing such things are also doing it for survival needs, even though it's hard to parse why that would be. So to me I guess it's not about morality but about survival, and it just so happens that cooperation is way better for survival for most people than being abusive is.

I know this kind of theoretically thinking doesn't satisfy emotional needs, however. That is what I need to work on... positive emotionality. But I'm not a pessimistic person and do like people and think they are generally good.