View Full Version : Songs you've come around on

Grox
08-24-2015, 09:04 PM
I never understood the intense love for "Set the Ray to Jerry" until last week. And it hit me deep in my heart. Can't think of another SP song I turned on so hard. "I of the Mourning" probably.

Ram27
08-24-2015, 09:16 PM
All of Adore

freshfacedyouth
08-24-2015, 09:27 PM
there are probably none that i used to dislike but enjoy now, but there are a ton i didn't think much of initially but eventually came to really, really like. off the top of my head, hello kitty kat and by starlight are two

toase
08-24-2015, 10:26 PM
tbh, it took me a while to really enjoy most of gish

dreams of glass
08-24-2015, 10:30 PM
there's a lot of hidden gems if that's what you mean

dreams of glass
08-24-2015, 10:31 PM
tbh, it took me a while to really enjoy most of gish

gish has its exteme ups and downs, it's kind of a long slog overall

reprise85
08-24-2015, 10:43 PM
with every light, always felt it was pleasant but it had a big impact on me when my grandmother died and also it was a great closer to a great orange peel show in '07

real love, didnt get it right away, now it's top 10 for sure

tonight tonight i have always loved but i realize what a perfect composition it is every once in a while and it blows me away

themadcaplaughs
08-24-2015, 10:51 PM
Agreed on Real Love. Also, for post-2007 I'd have to go with (Come On) Let's Go. Not a great song by any means, but a straight ahead rocker that shows Corgan can still write and record a decent hard rock song when he does not overthink.

Ram27
08-24-2015, 10:51 PM
Agreed on Tonight. It's a monumental song

The two versions on the reissue are amazing, you can really hear both sides of the song shine

toase
08-24-2015, 10:54 PM
I still can't stand rat in a cage
judge me

Butt Pope
08-24-2015, 11:40 PM
The Breakfast Club soundtrack

paranoid
08-25-2015, 12:13 AM
Superchrist. That song is a monster.

fuzzyroes
08-25-2015, 12:45 AM
I remember initially skipping Pomp and Circumstances, but at some point I "got it" and it's became one of my favorite post-2007 songs

pavementtune
08-25-2015, 01:16 AM
a bunch of songs (and even entire albums) took a while, if that counts.
besides SD and Adore that's always been the case with SP for me, songs grow on me slowly, and sometimes unexpected.

the Zwan album most of all, I wasn't ready for that when it came out.
I wasn't too keen on the first Machina album either, until I had heard the songs live.

particular song would be Pinwheels, I never disliked it, but by now I kinda love it.

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YHiR_2K5Ueo" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

Mals Marola
08-25-2015, 01:43 AM
pisces took a little while to hit me i suppose, meaning i wasn't really like "oooh shit, this is BRILLIANT" on first or second listen or anything, but it's like a top 5 pumpkins release for me now

siamese dream took a little while actually, it's kind of amazing how "dry" that album sounded when i was first giving the pumpkins a chance

machina & adore both hit me quicker, actually. & mcis, though not all at once, obv

freshfacedyouth
08-25-2015, 06:04 AM
agreed on gish, took me some time to get into it

Eulogy
08-25-2015, 06:37 AM
Take Me Down

panda show
08-25-2015, 07:14 AM
I actually liked gish after the first listen, especially the first 3 tracks, I listened to rhinoceros on repeat for quite a while.. on the other hand, I had a hard time getting into mellon collie

teh b0lly!!1
08-25-2015, 07:15 AM
pave - great call on Zwan.

i was a hater of that record when it came out, i thought it was too poppy, that it tries too hard to be happy, etc. but i really understood how much i missed the point last year.
zwan really saw billy at top songwriting form. happy music, some of the saddest and most personal lyrics he'd ever written, great stuff.

i always hated the imploding voice, but a few years back somebody posted an acoustic performance of it and it suddenly hit me that it's actually a great song that was just produced terribly on the record.

oh yeah i used to skip annie dog for YEARS before i finally started to really love it.

apart from those... i think i've pretty much loved everything the pumpkins did from the start.

FoolofaTook
08-25-2015, 08:44 AM
BEEEEEEEECUUZZZZZZZZ UUUUU AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Slurpee
08-25-2015, 09:35 AM
Galapogos is the MCIS song that took me the longest to appreciate.

topleybird
08-25-2015, 10:11 AM
Crying Tree of Mercury: the version on the album is still totally unlistenable, don't get me wrong, but I've heard a few live versions that made me realize "Wait, I'm actually enjoying this"

In My Body: thought it was decent but skippable; again, a live version kind of upped the ante here

Starz: didn't think much of it at first; one of my absolute favorites now—when Jimmy just starts pounding those fucking drums it's such a departure from his usual nuanced performance and it's like "YOU'RE IN THE JUNGLE, BABY, YOU'RE GONNA DIE" in a really good way

Have Faithe, Be Merrie: LOL JK, never listened never will

FoolofaTook
08-25-2015, 11:40 AM
tolpybird u better be joking about starz otherwise I will never respect you again, regardless of how many times you listen to spiteface in atonement

Bomb The Moon
08-25-2015, 04:01 PM
:lurk:
raindrops + sunshowers

killtrocity
08-25-2015, 05:07 PM
Most of machina. Someone posted a tracklisting here integrating machina ii and it really puts the songs in context. The premasters, of course.

slunken
08-25-2015, 05:12 PM
That was me. I'm pretty amazing some days.

Shallowed
08-25-2015, 05:56 PM
I used to not like the Chicago songs. That was before I heard anything by Leonard Cohen and the likes. It made sense afterwards. I wish Billy would focus his efforts on acoustic driven folky stuff. Even acoustic versions of his shittier songs are usually pretty listenable. It's also far more appropriate for his age and the current status of his career, as opposed to lamely rawking out all the time like he's still in his 20s.

slunken
08-25-2015, 06:01 PM
I wish Billy would focus his efforts on acoustic driven folky stuff. Even acoustic versions of his shittier songs are usually pretty listenable. It's also far more appropriate for his age and the current status of his career, as opposed to lamely rawking out all the time like he's still in his 20s.

i completely agree 100%

T&T
08-25-2015, 07:22 PM
I can't think of a single song that I didn't like at first that I've changed my mind about.

I'm waiting for a change of heart on the 2nd halve of oach, and all of M2AE...

Shallowed
08-25-2015, 07:47 PM
When I was first getting into SP I didn't like X.Y.U.. I found it a bit too repetitive and dull. Coming around to it though, it's definitely one of their most cathartic songs.

Daydream is another one. Once when I was messing around on guitar, I was playing something that sounded like Daydream and I realised that it had a really beautiful chord progression and melody.

Shallowed
08-25-2015, 07:51 PM
Oh and Here Is No Why. Learning how to play that on guitar really helped.

vajohna
08-26-2015, 02:43 AM
Crying Tree and Blues Skies (M1) are ones that stick out from pre-breakup era.

I have actually gone back and listened to Zeitgeist and Oceania lately, and I think I actually can appreciate a majority of it now. There are still certain hooks and lyrics that make me cringe, but I appreciate those two albums far more now than when they first came out. In particular, One Diamond, One Heart was kind of the gateway track for me with Oceania. The smallness of Zeitgeist and the quiet-loud dynamics of Ma Belle were the tracks that unlocked lots of Zeitgeist most for me.

teh b0lly!!1
08-26-2015, 03:36 AM
Most of machina. Someone posted a tracklisting here integrating machina ii and it really puts the songs in context. The premasters, of course.

can anybody link me to those premasters?
i've always been very curious to hear these but i never got around to finding them

Cool As Ice Cream
08-26-2015, 03:40 AM
join the queue: http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=175587

(i'll do it on sunday)

Mals Marola
08-26-2015, 04:06 AM
I can't think of a single song that I didn't like at first that I've changed my mind about.

I'm waiting for a change of heart on the 2nd halve of oach, and all of M2AE...

second half of oceania is the best half of oceania

thedeadofnight
08-26-2015, 04:15 AM
Songs like Suffer and La Dolly Vita, I couldn't get at first but now I love them.

Nothing from Oceania is reaching me yet. Except maybe the acoustic part of the title track, that's really nice

inkless
08-26-2015, 04:32 AM
i like tear on kissed alive too more album version

billy ruin blank page....on this cd...

Mals Marola
08-26-2015, 04:47 AM
when wil billie learn 2 make a good Music CD i'm wating still

RacerBoy
08-26-2015, 05:52 AM
Let me try for a little time. I am going to collect the song for you.

topleybird
08-26-2015, 09:58 AM
tolpybird u better be joking about starz otherwise I will never respect you again, regardless of how many times you listen to spiteface in atonement

I'm afraid I'm 100% serious

It's so overblown and direct, there's no subtlety or polish, and for some reason that drastic departure from most Pumpkins songs is really appealing to me

But it's definitely the departure; if this came from another band or just completely devoid of context, I don't think I'd like it nearly as much

I mean the weird little *riff* "oh!" *riff* "ow" shit at the beginning still makes me cringe, but that last line, "What hurts so much is knowing we are free" is without a doubt the best last line he's ever or will ever write

I am sorry about this FoolofaTook

Elphenor
08-26-2015, 10:02 AM
that song is terrible and you should feel bad

Cool As Ice Cream
08-26-2015, 10:10 AM
no, you

FoolofaTook
08-26-2015, 11:00 AM
I am devastated. I don't know what to do. Where do I go from here?

topleybird
08-26-2015, 11:08 AM

I am devastated. I don't know what to do. Where do I go from here?

<i>What hurts so much is knowing you hate me you hate me you hate me</i>

Dogfighter28
08-26-2015, 12:05 PM
By Starlight
Spaceboy
Blank Page

ninsp
08-26-2015, 12:46 PM
second half of oceania is the best half of oceania

yes

thedeadofnight
08-26-2015, 12:50 PM
I'm afraid I'm 100% serious

It's so overblown and direct, there's no subtlety or polish, and for some reason that drastic departure from most Pumpkins songs is really appealing to me

But it's definitely the departure; if this came from another band or just completely devoid of context, I don't think I'd like it nearly as much

I mean the weird little *riff* "oh!" *riff* "ow" shit at the beginning still makes me cringe, but that last line, "What hurts so much is knowing we are free" is without a doubt the best last line he's ever or will ever write

I am sorry about this FoolofaTook

The live version from 2007 is pretty good, with the synth intro and the vocal effect at the end

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XKt7E-q44S4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

FoolofaTook
08-26-2015, 01:47 PM
<i>What hurts so much is knowing you hate me you hate me you hate me</i>

I don't hate you, toplybird. I hate you liking starz.

Kinda like God doesn't hate fags, he just hates it when dudes bang each other in the butt/babes scissoring.

FoolofaTook
08-26-2015, 01:48 PM
as my father loves to say, hate the SIN, not the SINNER

Veronica88
08-26-2015, 02:28 PM
By Starlight is a song I never disliked I just kinda overlooked it. Once I actually really listened to it, it has become one of my favorites.

thedeadofnight
08-26-2015, 07:30 PM
Yeah, the '97 live versions of By Starlight really helped me appreciate the song a lot more

Shallowed
08-26-2015, 07:55 PM

You don't feel bad about the shit you like

TheAeroplane
08-27-2015, 08:59 AM
Adore when I heard the same songs live with real instruments and several musicians. I think the biggest problem with that album was the awful sound mixing. Listen to Crestfallen studio version and it's garbage... I could make that same background music with Fruity Loops studio. Now listen to that same song live and it's beautiful.

Cool As Ice Cream
08-27-2015, 09:08 AM
you're beautiful

Slurpee
08-27-2015, 11:44 AM
Daydream is another one. Once when I was messing around on guitar, I was playing something that sounded like Daydream and I realised that it had a really beautiful chord progression and melody.

I didn't get Daydream until I heard Billy sing it. Now I love both versions. Those chords really do get into a raw place, and linger there...

FoolofaTook
08-27-2015, 12:46 PM
you're mom is beautiful

absof
08-28-2015, 10:26 PM
Starz is awesome!

this bloke has made a few videos, this one is alright..

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xCVrE41Dik0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

iPumpkin
08-28-2015, 11:40 PM
Siamese Dream (song)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnFDhmW-64c

Mals Marola
08-29-2015, 12:46 AM
that one blew the actual "studio version" out the water, that's for sure

Ihaguitar
08-29-2015, 04:26 AM
agreed on gish, took me some time to get into it

Weird, I loved it on first listen. It was the first SP album I bought. Went out the next weekend and bought SD, which took a listen or two to get used to the fuzz.

Funky_Gibbon
09-06-2015, 06:25 PM
We Only Come Out At Night. I absolutely hated the intro to this for years and skipped it every time until one day I sat down and forced myself to listen to it and found it to be a beautiful little song.

warewolf95
09-06-2015, 09:33 PM
For me it was the whole second disc of MCIS

For whatever reason, for the first few years I had discovered the Pumpkins, I thought disc one of MCIS was just SUCH a fucking perfect album in its own right that I could just never get into disc two.

Eventually I got into disc two and ended up loving it as much, if not more, than disc one.

dreams of glass
09-08-2015, 02:45 AM
Cupid De Locke

I always thought the song was kind of cheesy and cringe worthy, what with the harp arpeggios, and the last spoken word verse.

Listening to the "BT 2012 mix" on the re-masters helped me to come around on the song, the way the different instrumental parts intertwine is mesmerizing, that bass line is killer, and the lyrics are also very antiquated and "Shakespearean" which brilliantly nails the whole thematic feel of MCIS.

to grab her attention swift and quick
or morrow the marrow of her bones be thick

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fOjQMtQ6bQ8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

also, there are some good live versions

https://ia802308.us.archive.org/1/items/sp1996-02-06.csb.flac16/sp1996-02-06-d1t03.mp3

Ram27
09-08-2015, 10:36 AM
the lyrics are also very antiquated and "Shakespearean" which brilliantly nails the whole thematic feel of MCIS.

yes yes yes. I love how all the songs of that era had a certain Victorian sort of feel to them. It was gorgeous, and easily the band's creative peak.

I love James' lead part

vixnix
09-08-2015, 10:43 AM
a bunch of songs (and even entire albums) took a while, if that counts.
besides SD and Adore that's always been the case with SP for me, songs grow on me slowly, and sometimes unexpected.

the Zwan album most of all, I wasn't ready for that when it came out.
I wasn't too keen on the first Machina album either, until I had heard the songs live.

particular song would be Pinwheels, I never disliked it, but by now I kinda love it.

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YHiR_2K5Ueo" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

how good is this???

FoolofaTook
09-08-2015, 10:56 AM
I think the question you were meaning to ask is "how bad is this???"

vixnix
09-08-2015, 11:15 AM
Are you ever going to post a pic? I want to know what you look like.

slunken
09-08-2015, 11:51 AM
He has plenty of times

FoolofaTook
09-08-2015, 02:39 PM
he/she/it knows this well.

it's all part of her troll personna, which she assiduously maintains.

FoolofaTook
09-08-2015, 02:40 PM
i mean, the fact that she/he/it/they is/are asking for a pic in a thread which ISN'T the pic thread should be a dead giveaway.

like, for real.

FoolofaTook
09-08-2015, 02:41 PM
but goddammit, i couldn't resist. just google my name, yo: (i'm the beauty on the left)

http://media.trb.com/media/photo/2011-12/226414440-28143808.jpg

FoolofaTook
09-08-2015, 02:42 PM
and by left i mean the other left.

Mals Marola
09-08-2015, 02:46 PM
what'd you do again, mom-joke a cop?

FoolofaTook
09-08-2015, 03:01 PM
You will be able to find out, in full fledged detail, once my epic autobiographical poem with nihilistic underpinnings is unleashed upon an unsuspecting and undeserving world.

until then feel free to support my senescent artistic endeavors with cash money or weed. actually, fuck the money, send weed since that's what i would use the money for anyways.

Ram27
09-08-2015, 03:25 PM
look i just want to fuck sansa is that okay

vixnix
09-08-2015, 08:27 PM
but goddammit, i couldn't resist. just google my name, yo: (i'm the beauty on the left)

http://media.trb.com/media/photo/2011-12/226414440-28143808.jpg

Wow, you're really good looking. Way too good looking for prison :( I just googled the news story.

When I was 21, I participated in a "slew of burglaries" as well, similar situation to you, just stupid pranks. I've talked about it here before but you might not have read it. We were lucky spoiled middle class brats with good lawyers who got a slap on the wrist, but it could have been very different for all of us. We broke into buildings downtown using RTs stolen from a construction site we'd broken into. Once inside the buildings, the guys would take random and stupid shit, like disused computers or stationary, just for kicks. Our legal system isn't as totally screwed up as yours, though. I'm really sorry. I wish I could make you dinner. :(

reprise85
09-08-2015, 08:34 PM
took did you really beat up the pizza delivery guy though?

vixnix
09-09-2015, 12:13 AM
I hated the production on every album since adore. So it was hard to love the songs.

One of the things my husband and I had in common, the night we met (in 2004), was the pumpkins. I had never really listened to machina, but he loved this song. He quoted the words "To young to die, too rich to care, too fucked to swear that I was there."

I'd never really listened to it before and realised those words were there. They meant a lot to my husband then because his father had died in an accident, when my husband was 13. He had inherited his father's estate, as the only child (parents were divorced) at 20. So he had a bunch of money, but no Dad. He was pretty fucked up.

I love the song but I still think the production on machina is fucked. My husband still disagrees but as you can probably imagine, as a qualified audio engineer who had no budget constraints his home listening set up was pretty...adequate to hear all the layering work that went into machina. The hoi polloi like me, were not so lucky....so it sounded too noisy and busy, to me.

Anyway, here's a version where I can still imagine all the really amazing directions this song could have gone in, with this much feeling being put into it. For me, a lot of the nuance and sentiment are stripped away on the album version....or dulled under layers of other sound, I guess. And...in my opinion...clumsy arrangements. 1992-era Butch Vig would have equalled so much more win than the album version I reckon.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Xa2NYt67mP4?list=RDXa2NYt67mP4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Cool As Ice Cream
09-09-2015, 03:28 AM
oh jonathan why did you go on a crime spree why did you beat the pizza guy were the pizzas not nice did his service suck was he always late was it just a stupid prank as vixnix would call it or were you after his money

Spira|_
09-09-2015, 04:40 AM
I of the mourning, I completely hated it. When they played it at Machina tour I got freaking bored, and seems everybody was in love by song, I couldnt understand it.
Then around 2008 I listened to 99x studio recording and felt in love with the song.
Not on my top ten but very enjoyable at moment.

dreams of glass
09-09-2015, 06:35 AM
You will be able to find out, in full fledged detail, once my epic autobiographical poem with nihilistic underpinnings is unleashed upon an unsuspecting and undeserving world.

until then feel free to support my senescent artistic endeavors with cash money or weed. actually, fuck the money, send weed since that's what i would use the money for anyways.

senescent

Senescence (/sɪˈnɛsəns/) (from Latin: senescere, meaning "to grow old", from senex) or biological aging (also spelled biological ageing) is the gradual deterioration of function characteristic of most complex lifeforms, arguably found in all biological kingdoms, that on the level of the organism increases mortality .

Ram27
09-09-2015, 08:23 AM
I hated the production on every album since adore. So it was hard to love the songs.

One of the things my husband and I had in common, the night we met (in 2004), was the pumpkins. I had never really listened to machina, but he loved this song. He quoted the words "To young to die, too rich to care, too fucked to swear that I was there."

I'd never really listened to it before and realised those words were there. They meant a lot to my husband then because his father had died in an accident, when my husband was 13. He had inherited his father's estate, as the only child (parents were divorced) at 20. So he had a bunch of money, but no Dad. He was pretty fucked up.

I love the song but I still think the production on machina is fucked. My husband still disagrees but as you can probably imagine, as a qualified audio engineer who had no budget constraints his home listening set up was pretty...adequate to hear all the layering work that went into machina. The hoi polloi like me, were not so lucky....so it sounded too noisy and busy, to me.

Anyway, here's a version where I can still imagine all the really amazing directions this song could have gone in, with this much feeling being put into it. For me, a lot of the nuance and sentiment are stripped away on the album version....or dulled under layers of other sound, I guess. And...in my opinion...clumsy arrangements. 1992-era Butch Vig would have equalled so much more win than the album version I reckon.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Xa2NYt67mP4?list=RDXa2NYt67mP4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I totally agree...Billy's been doing stuff like this a lot since...Adore or so

I think the greatest crime on Machina is the leak of Raindrops compared to the final version

teh b0lly!!1
09-09-2015, 08:57 AM
took did you really beat up the pizza delivery guy though?

it's hard to say took is discrete about his past but it still all remains so vague and i always find myself asking so many questions and not wanting to harass him with endless followups.

took why did you do all that stuff man. there had to be some reasoning behind it, right?

Cool As Ice Cream
09-09-2015, 09:29 AM
i blame monty

Grox
09-09-2015, 01:06 PM
LET'S GET THIS THREAD BACK ON TRACK, YEAH?

never cared for MSOTS. but these recent VIP performances of "Of a Broken Heart" have made me love the song. that is all

FoolofaTook
09-09-2015, 02:46 PM
senescent

Senescence (/sɪˈnɛsəns/) (from Latin: senescere, meaning "to grow old", from senex) or biological aging (also spelled biological ageing) is the gradual deterioration of function characteristic of most complex lifeforms, arguably found in all biological kingdoms, that on the level of the organism increases mortality .

po·et·ic li·cense
noun
the freedom to depart from the facts of a matter or from the conventional rules of language when speaking or writing in order to create an effect.

Mals Marola
09-09-2015, 05:15 PM
your·mom
noun
the woman who shared my bed last night

Mals Marola
09-09-2015, 05:15 PM
i don't get how you can complain about the studio version of Age of Innocence, it's probably the most stripped-down recording on the whole album save for maybe Try Try Try