View Full Version : my 3 favorite bass players: Mick Karn, John Taylor, Robert DeLeo

Catherine Wheel
02-07-2015, 04:20 AM
Mick Karn's playing on the last three albums by Japan (Quiet Life, Gentlemen Take Polaroids, Tin Drum) is incredible. Very complex. Always tasteful. John Taylor of Duran Duran has a very similar approach and some even say he copied Karn's style. But he holds his own and his style is actually a bit flashier than Karn. DeLeo's playing is more subdued but he comes up with some great grooves and fills.

The exploding boy
02-07-2015, 05:13 AM
I like Taylor a lot even if he's more the funky type which i'm not much. Taylor's idol and allegedly main influence was Bernard Edwards. Hes one of those guys that can do a few pops here and there and i don't actually mind it (not much into slaps and pops otherwise). He's tasteful with it for one. Rio's classic, i like to play it as warmup. Though i might like Planet earth better. It's a much simpler line but i like the galluping rhythm.

As for my favorite bassists, they're actually pretty much all very limited players on a technical level, flashy is not really what i'm into.

Simon Gallup is pretty much first. I picked up the instrument because of him. He's got about two dozen classic lines as far as i'm concerned. Stand out lines but simple otherwise. Very melodic player. I'd dare say I don't think The Cure would be where they were if he hadn't been in the band (even if those great lines on TIB are Michael Dempsey and even if SOME of the classic cure basslines are Smith, some but not the majority)

Andy Rourke. As much as i like to diss Morrissey, i can't deny the music . Its weird how really he seems to go unnoticed by so many people. Probably because of marr and moz. I mean this charming man isn't half the song it is if you remove that bassline. He was doing funk before smiths and you can kinda tell (though he never slapped or popped in smiths as far as i remember). Pretty much all their famous songs, its accompanied by a terrific bassline. how soon is now is just a lot of guitar effects if you don't hold it together with the bass. And Bigmouth has a much more complex bassline than most people think. It's buried a little. It is such complete utter bullsit he's not getting paid shit for the smiths songs.

Paul Simonon. I think there are not as many perfect basslines as London Calling in this world. Its the kind of bassline that could fool one into thinking they could write it. it's not like it's complex after all. But you couldn't, because it's called a genius moment. Lost in a supermarket, magificent seven are other standouts. Guns of brixton. And a contribution not to be overlooked...... he made holding the bass low fashionable (both Gallup and Hook confess picking it up from him, though i think overall it was just a punk thing, not sure Simonon started it, i think Dee Dee was doing it already)

A little more left field pick perhaps, Leigh Gorman. Bow wow wow is such a underrated band. Just because i want candy is kinda boring and Annabelle seemed like a gimmick (well it was a Maclaren band). The band behind her was very competent and very unique. Listen to the bass on Louis Quatorze (to name a known one). He's a bassist i love but can't really take cues from because you can't emulate it. It's not the technical aspect even (even though he's more technical than anyone named above). It's just the approach... his lines, they're so unconventional, you couldn't copy them. Or if you did they would sound exactly like that, a copy.

and to leave the 80's an name someone more obvious.... John Enstwistle is perhaps the only really technical player i like. In fact, i find it hard to focus on anything else in Who songs truly. He revolutionized what was expected of bassists in rock bands. And he's got the best pre 80's tone. He sounded great in an era when bass tended to sound like mud. And best stage presence ever. Just standing there. To be honest between Daltrey swinging his mic and Townsend jumping around like a lunatic, i think he figured the only way to be safe was to stay just where he was. By far the best musician in The Who and that's saying something..

Trotskilicious
great stuff

Trotskilicious
sting and john paul jones, i dunno, fuck why are we doing this

The exploding boy
I turned it into a fav bassist thread...hope no one minds.

I don't think you coul do anything much else with it otherwise

The exploding boy
02-07-2015, 05:14 AM
fuck why are we doing this

I guess "we" do mind.

Trotskilicious
02-07-2015, 05:14 AM
i don't even know the names of most of the people in the bands i listen to these days

Trotskilicious
02-07-2015, 05:17 AM
nor do i fucking care

Elphenor
02-07-2015, 05:27 AM
That dub style bassist for Bauhaus

The exploding boy
02-07-2015, 05:30 AM
David J. He was touring just last year, saw a flyer. thought about going for a sec.

She's in parties is a great bassline.

The exploding boy
02-07-2015, 05:32 AM
nor do i fucking care

Same.

except if there's a girl and i think she's cute....... :-x

I don't know..i guess if i'm into the band enough i'll check but i have trouble remembering a lot of the time.

toase
02-07-2015, 12:59 PM
nor do i fucking care

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

slunken
02-07-2015, 02:13 PM
somebody mention peter hook

Trotskilicious
02-07-2015, 04:36 PM
Peter hook

Trotskilicious
02-07-2015, 04:37 PM
JPJ
Flea
P Mac
Geddy Lee
Roger Waters
Brian Wilson
Sting
John Deacon
Novoselic
Claypool

Hey another vote for sting!

O/

brutechinasky
02-07-2015, 05:15 PM
cliff burton
mark sandman

The exploding boy
02-07-2015, 06:35 PM
The guy from U2 always has tasteful bass lines. and he gets a pretty boss dub tone.

If you go on a bassist forum its full of threads hating on Adam Clayton. Luckiest bassist on earth and all that. I don't get it. It has to be people who either 1- only value very intricate basslines (in which case fuck 'em, it's the kind of guys that couldnt write a good simple bassline to save their lives) 2- have never heard anything except the post 80's singles (even then there's some decent basslines on some of them, like Stay has a good bassline). Probably the latter cause he's often called a root player.

I'm also a 80's U2 fan i admit. But like, Clayton has a good handful of classic tasty basslines. Who gives a shit they're not intricate? You want to tell me new years day is not a good bassline? Ok whatever. I was listening to October again recently and it occurred to me half the bassline for Stranger in a strange land is harmonics. You know many mainstream bands bassists that will bother with harmonics in a song? It's not a difficult bassline no, but it's certainly not your average root note bassline. He popped in the solo on Gloria, for those who like that shit. Again something the average root note player doesnt bother with.

War has pretty good basslines all around. Two hearts beat as one is probably my favorite he ever did. Surrender is good too. Its too bad he was buried in the mix on Achtung Baby because some of them aren't half bad either.

On zooropa you got Daddy's gonna pay for your crashed car and Stay which ithink are pretty good.

I don't know i mean... he's not groundbreaking or flashy in any way, but he's not just meat and potatoes root note player either, at least not in the 80's (though on Joshua tree, yeah a bit... but that was intentional, they dumbed everything down on that record on purpose) but wo really gives a shit about their post Zooropa output?

Ok here's a bassist that gets a lot of respect from other bassists. Roger Deacon from Queen. Now, queen is a fine band. And roger deacon has some of the best known basslines ever (under pressure, another one bites the dust to name just the two). But they're also simple as fuck. Why is Roger Deacon, bassist for mainstream band Queen, more respectable than Adam Clayton? I'll tell you why, cause U2's annoying to many people. Only reason why.

Shit even Sting gets respect all around and again, great basslines, not exactly a technical wizard. All the police basslines are beginner level stuff. They're great, but they're beginner level. Even more than some of those U2 lines. But no, Sting's an amazing bassist, Adam Clayton is a hack. K.

I think Bono's ruined his bandmates rep... like if i mention The Edge IS one of my favorite guitar player i just get laughed at (anyone saying that about his post 2000's output though deserves it for sure). But then again its people who are usually like "but hendrix/jimmy page/clapton/etc" yeah....have nothing in common with Edge other than they hang a guitar around their neck and make sounds with it. The approach is vastly different. Not better, not worst, different.

The exploding boy
02-07-2015, 06:35 PM
wow look at all this text

brutechinasky
02-07-2015, 06:36 PM
i'm looking but i can't force myself to read it

The exploding boy
02-07-2015, 06:40 PM
i woulnt either. Its part of my mental disorder i think.

The exploding boy
02-07-2015, 06:40 PM
at least thats the excuse ill stick to

pavementtune
02-07-2015, 06:43 PM
Charles Mingus
Henry Grimes

can't even think of a third favorite one in that league, there is a universe between the first two and then:

Pascal Humbert
Georg Hólm

brutechinasky
02-07-2015, 06:56 PM
fat mike

noyen
02-07-2015, 07:43 PM
Simon Gallup

^^^

Catherine Wheel
02-07-2015, 09:08 PM
I really like Jeff Ament's fretless work. He seemed to do it more on the older PJ stuff before Eddie Stalinized the band.

Mick Karn played nothing but fretless when he was in Japan. It definitely added to his already unique sound.

opera de nuit
02-08-2015, 12:53 AM
simon gallup (the cure)
simon raymonde (cocteau twins)
will heggie (lowlife)
barry adamson (magazine/badseeds)
steve kilbey (the church)
graham lewis (wire)
steve severin (siouxsie & the banshees)
tracey pew (the birthday party)
adam clayton (u2)
paul raven (killing joke)
michael dempsey (the cure/the associates)
jeremy kerr (a certain ratio)
david j (bauhaus)
mick karn def...
mark burgess (the chameleons)
peter hook (duh)
nick chaplan (slowdive)
steven burrows (and also the trees)
tim butler (psychedelic furs)
will teversham (blind mr. jones)
thierry sobezyk (asylum party)

a bunch of post-punk bands but that's pretty much the stuff i listen to/look up to as a bassist, so...

Elphenor
02-08-2015, 12:56 AM
I love a good up in front bassline

Sonic Johnny
02-08-2015, 02:29 AM
The bass players (from all my favourite bands) [this is really just a list of my favourite bands]

Elphenor
02-08-2015, 02:49 AM
Richard Hell when he was in Television

Elphenor
02-08-2015, 09:29 AM
The Fuzz Bass on Mean Mr. Mustard

:cool:

Trotskilicious
02-08-2015, 06:04 PM
yeah but fuck that guy

Sonic Johnny
02-08-2015, 06:09 PM
Fuck the Beatles so hard

Trotskilicious
02-08-2015, 06:14 PM
can we stop talking about them some day? I just hope someday i can go a whole music conversation without someone going "oh well the beatles were the best ever you guys know that, it's basically academic fact at this point"

and you're just like ahhhhghhhhhhhssnafklsjaf'sdfasd

toase
02-08-2015, 06:53 PM
I kind of get you now