View Full Version : Luna

Grox
02-04-2015, 12:15 AM
let's talk about Luna. imo one of maybe half a dozen truly transcendent & eternal songs written by Billy (songs like 1979, MCIS, For Martha). this live version is so beautiful. the delivery of the first two lines. these are some of his best lyrics by a longshot

what moon songs do you sing your baby?
what sunshine do you bring?
who belongs? who decides who's crazy?
who rights wrongs while others cling?

i'll sing for you, if you want me to
i'll give to you
and it's a chance i'll have to take
and it's a chance i'll have to break

i go along, just because i'm lazy
i go along to be with you
and those moon songs that you sing your baby
will be the songs to see you through

i'll hear your song if you want me to
i'll sing along
and it's a chance i'll have to take
and it's a chance i'll have to break

i'm in love with you, i'm in love with you, i'm in love with you
i'm love in with you (so in love), i'm in love with you (with you), i'm in love with you
i'm in love with you (so in love), i'm in love with you (i'm so in love), i'm in love with you

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HQBXNLU46Z0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ram27
02-04-2015, 12:27 AM
It's very, very nice indeed.

SP is a very warm band in the first place but this song is boiling

I'd like to pretend it's not about Courtney Love

I really like the "I go along, just because I'm lazy...I go along to be with you"

Laziness isn't usually mentioned in lyrics, and doing it here feels sort of out of place, but in a good way.

reprise85
02-04-2015, 02:00 AM
possibly second best love song behind real love

reprise85
02-04-2015, 02:01 AM
he sounds so young. i cant take it. his voice even cracks on 'because'.

his voice is so dreamy and harsh at the same time. its too bad the dreaminess went away but i guess that's aging for you.

houseofglass11
02-04-2015, 02:03 AM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KzdU564xknI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

werideatdusk
02-04-2015, 02:06 AM
one of the great BC love songs, finding a nice halfway between dreamy "Crush" and epic "Wound"

reprise85
02-04-2015, 02:10 AM
lol 2 BC at 2:20 at that video getting pissed off at (i'm assuming) a sound guy. trying to read his lips. something about feedback maybe. he doesn't like the way his guitar sounds right at that point, i think. or he could be saying something to d'arcy i suppose

Grox
02-04-2015, 02:46 AM
he's totally yelling at d'arcy ugh

Grox
02-04-2015, 02:48 AM
looks like she forgot she had to sing backup on the "i'm in love with you"'s and billco was freaking out bc she wasn't paying attention. fwiw that is the last time Luna was played by the original lineup. has billy played Luna at any real shows post-2000? I know he whipped it out during some of the Oceania VIP conference hall deals

reprise85
02-04-2015, 02:52 AM
you can see the pissed off dictator look in that moment

reprise85
02-04-2015, 02:56 AM
anyway, luna is a fantastic song. its a testament to how awesome SD is that it isn't top 3 on even that album.

like i mean its a great song but

hummer
geek usa
mayonaise
soma
silverfuck

come on now, not fair

Grox
02-04-2015, 03:01 AM
masterpieces of rock they are. but Luna, along with 1979, MCIS, For Martha, and arguably Wound are eternal

Grox
02-04-2015, 03:02 AM
the core, the heart music

The exploding boy
02-04-2015, 03:08 AM
when i think of this song i erm....always think of the doctor i had when i was 20 and that i was momentarily in love with.

She was like 30 or something. She diagnosed my panic./nxiety disorder. Which i thought was a heart problem until then. I think looking back it was mainly about the fact that she was helping me when no on else seemed to care. Of course she was paid to so that makes it more fucked up.''' But she was nice. God that is a fucked up thing to recall.... and i think im fucked up now...

Funbags
02-04-2015, 03:12 AM
lol 2 BC at 2:20 at that video getting pissed off at (i'm assuming) a sound guy. trying to read his lips. something about feedback maybe. he doesn't like the way his guitar sounds right at that point, i think. or he could be saying something to d'arcy i suppose

Looks like he says "It'll fucking feedback"

dodoz
02-04-2015, 03:21 AM
One of these perfect songs. Billy just got it right. "I'm in love with you" has probably been used in many songs but here it sounds beautiful and sincere.
It's also a perfect album closer, the coming down and landing finale of "Siamese Dream"...

absof
02-04-2015, 04:29 AM
looks like she forgot she had to sing backup on the "i'm in love with you"'s and billco was freaking out bc she wasn't paying attention. fwiw that is the last time Luna was played by the original lineup. has billy played Luna at any real shows post-2000? I know he whipped it out during some of the Oceania VIP conference hall deals

He played it in Melbourne on the Oash tour..
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4AE00El8dWM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Elphenor
02-04-2015, 04:42 AM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KzdU564xknI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

So beautiful

*wipes away tear*

Elphenor
02-04-2015, 04:45 AM
He played it in Melbourne on the Oash tour..
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4AE00El8dWM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I was expecting this to be a lot worse than it was, vocals were actually pretty great

absof
02-04-2015, 05:42 AM
^ yeah, I was pretty hammered heading in to the gig; but this was a nice closer..

FoolofaTook
02-04-2015, 10:32 AM
when i think of this song i erm....always think of the doctor i had when i was 20 and that i was momentarily in love with.

She was like 30 or something. She diagnosed my panic./nxiety disorder. Which i thought was a heart problem until then. I think looking back it was mainly about the fact that she was helping me when no on else seemed to care. Of course she was paid to so that makes it more fucked up.''' But she was nice. God that is a fucked up thing to recall.... and i think im fucked up now...

http://www.troll.me/images/thumbs-up-jesus-says/thanks-for-sharing-thumb.jpg

Run To Me
02-04-2015, 11:10 AM
Dunno, never really grabbed me. I like the bendy note but a little too much of a straightforward chord strummer, and I never really bought the lyrics either. However I'd agree with the other "eternal songs" identified in this thread. Don't like spaceboy much either. I think the soft songs from Gish are superior to those from SD.

Mals Marola
02-04-2015, 11:29 AM
Right okay but if i can state the obvious here you're named after RUN2ME i will not look to such a man for the "who's who" & "what's what" on songs, sorry champ

btw that 94 fillmore concert is fucking amazing, both in sound/video quality & performance. Whole thing's linked from the luna vid that was taken from it. Thanx whoever uploaded that, thanx muchly

washer
02-04-2015, 11:43 AM
i've never much cared for it

panda show
02-04-2015, 12:54 PM
I like this one too
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/soqg_-FyMlo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Slurpee
02-04-2015, 01:07 PM
Love how this song continues to grow in esteem. It's shockingly simple, without any lyrical masks or over-wrought guitars. Just Billy singing how he loves. The song is not even about anyone else, I think, it's about the way Billy feels love.

juliana
02-04-2015, 01:41 PM
D'arcy is on bass on luna the cd.

washer
02-04-2015, 01:47 PM
whatever that means

Funbags
02-04-2015, 02:04 PM
D'arcy is on bass on luna the cd.

Monte?

Run To Me
02-04-2015, 03:09 PM
Right okay but if i can state the obvious here you're named after RUN2ME i will not look to such a man for the "who's who" & "what's what" on songs, sorry champ

But what if I picked the name because of how much I hate the song? And spelled it "run to me" as a subtle comment on how gross bill's attempts at text message "teenspeaK" have become?

On a scale of how much I hate modern bill songs though, I hate it much less than, say, being beige. Fuck I hate that song!

And Luna's ok, I'd rather listen to a whole luna the cd than being beige or run2me. Just don't love it though, kinda plain.

topleybird
02-04-2015, 03:39 PM
And spelled it "run to me" as a subtle comment on how gross bill's attempts at text message "teenspeaK" have become?

http://i.imgur.com/KzOiR9L.gif

Mals Marola
02-04-2015, 03:43 PM
where's vince

Funky_Gibbon
02-04-2015, 03:53 PM
Always loved Luna. The lyrics "I hear your song... If you want me to, I'll sing along." just give me the tinglies.

It's also one of the songs I've used in the past to prove that not everything SP ever did was about teenage angst and depression as some people seem to believe.

juliana
02-04-2015, 03:59 PM
Monte?

Yes?

Grox
02-04-2015, 04:01 PM
I was expecting this to be a lot worse than it was, vocals were actually pretty great

yeah oh my god that performance is amazing, his vocals are SPOT ON... why don't they play this more often?

juliana
whatever that means

IT MEANS I did a /monte

What I was trying to write is that D'arcy played bass on Luna. Butch Vig said so. It was the way he got her to not quit the band.

Grox
Love how this song continues to grow in esteem. It's shockingly simple, without any lyrical masks or over-wrought guitars. Just Billy singing how he loves. The song is not even about anyone else, I think, it's about the way Billy feels love.

it's about Courtney (SD reissue liner notes)
but i feel u

washer
02-04-2015, 04:03 PM
IT MEANS I did a /monte

What I was trying to write is that D'arcy played bass on Luna. Butch Vig said so. It was the way he got her to not quit the band.

that's what she thinks

washer
02-04-2015, 04:04 PM
classic vig

panda show
02-04-2015, 04:37 PM
^^^
lol'd

Spira|_
02-04-2015, 07:49 PM
Thats bc of that type of vocals on the first video I dig on SP. Just it.

Never heard another band with a so intense vibe...