View Full Version : Any Deftones fans?

ButtHash
01-31-2015, 12:49 PM
Discuss Deftones here.

My favorite album is probs White Pony, which is a classic IMO. Second favorite would have to be their most recent one, KNY. A lot of dreamy passages and some of their thickest guitars yet. What a consistently good-to-great band though. Can't get into Adrenaline much, but that's just me.

Thoughts?

houseofglass11
01-31-2015, 04:06 PM
Around the Fur is their best IMO.

Sonic Johnny
01-31-2015, 04:21 PM
Adrenalin is the shit. Bored is probs my favourite deftones tune.

toase
01-31-2015, 08:58 PM
I like Adrenaline, and everything else.
Diamond Eyes and Koi No Yokan are very good, I'm glad they went that direction...

But Team Sleep is my real passion and I'm glad they're back (I already mentioned it, but I'm really glad so I'm mentioning again and again until I explode gladness all around)

Mals Marola
01-31-2015, 09:43 PM
Haven't heard the new ts but i fucking love this band and honestly koi no might be my absolute favorite thing they've done so far

& yeah adrenaline's cool but it's pretty considerably the least listened to of their albums for me at this point

bye june
02-01-2015, 11:02 AM
Yes love Deftones. Around the Fur and White Pony tied for favorite. They really don't have any bad albums...Self-titled and Saturday Night Wrist aren't as good but they still have a bunch of great tracks. Diamond Eyes and Koi No Yokan are surprisingly good and I hope they continue to put out more great albums.

Mals Marola
02-01-2015, 11:08 AM
the self-titled's main problem is that it kinda sounds like a b-side album

like there's not really any apparent reason for it, it sounded almost like a retreat or something? that said i still love a good portion of it; saturday night was the real progressor though i think, albeit in my opinion only really having an ep's worth of greatness or so (beware, rats, kimdracula, combat, mein, hole in the earth)

koi no i've been putting on almost every day for the past month or so

toase
02-01-2015, 11:09 AM
Haven't heard the new ts but i fucking love this band and honestly koi no might be my absolute favorite thing they've done so far

& yeah adrenaline's cool but it's pretty considerably the least listened to of their albums for me at this point

New TS is going to be released this year, hopefully this semester

ButtHash
02-01-2015, 11:39 AM
Self-titled is definitely an odd album. Very dark and rough around the edges but most of the songs are a bit of a slog to get through. I bet they were probably exhausted after WP/fighting a lot/on drugs for it.

Mars I totally agree about SNW though I'd remove Mein and add Cherry fucking Waves, Xerces, Konami Code and Riviera.

Diamond Eyes is such an incredible set of deceptively complex songs. I just wish the production wasn't so clean.

I still haven't gotten into Adrenaline that much and can only like ATF that much cus I used to have some ill-conceived notions about Deftones being apart of the whole rap-metal thing. A lot of that has to do with my age I feel.

Mals Marola
02-01-2015, 02:21 PM
Diamond Eyes is such an incredible set of deceptively complex songs. I just wish the production wasn't so clean.

i love diamond eyes but this is generally how i feel about SNW to be honest

is there a rock record out there with as much outright... sheen? i was in disbelief the first time i heard it

ButtHash
02-01-2015, 02:27 PM
See that's part of why I love it. A song like Cherry Waves just sounds so shimmery. I could see why people would dislike that.

Mals Marola
02-01-2015, 02:29 PM
i was put off by it at first but i learnt to love it, works with the album

cherry waves i like but i always kinda considered it the slightly weaker successor to good morning beautiful from the s/t (ethereal track 4s, maybe?), which i love

Catherine Wheel
02-01-2015, 02:31 PM
Self titled is really hard to sit through. It's unbearable at times. Saturday Night Wrist and White Pony are their best.

cardiac
02-02-2015, 12:40 PM
Apart from self-titled, and to a lesser extent Saturday Night Wrist, I enjoy all their albums. Diamond Eyes was one of the most impressive returns to form I've seen and Koi No Yokan is probably their best album yet. Never thought they'd surpass White Pony.

october
02-16-2015, 11:07 AM
Koi no Yokan is the biggest surprise I've gotten from such an established band that I love. Its beauty and awesomeness cannot be measured by mere words.

They're playing around the fur in full at a festival I'm seeing them at this summer. I didn't think they were one of THOSE bands but whatevs, I've never seen them play MX live so it'll doubtless be alright. Chino can still howl like a banshee if need be.

darby
02-17-2015, 10:24 PM
saturday night wrist is my favorite deftones album. i saw them when they toured for diamond eyes. they were great

fuzzyroes
02-18-2015, 04:25 AM
You guys still actively listen to Nu-Metal?

Trotskilicious
02-18-2015, 05:51 AM
i liked white pony but i wasnt craving it you feel me

Raskolnikov
02-18-2015, 02:33 PM
I guess I really need to spend more time with Koi No Yokan. Seems like every time a Deftones discussion pops up, the chorus chimes in that says that they lovelovelove it, and it just hasn't ever grabbed me.

toase
02-18-2015, 04:03 PM
I dont think deftones is numetal nowadays, i dunno
I listened to korn last week though
what am i doing with my life

Eulogy
02-18-2015, 05:12 PM
You guys still actively listen to Nu-Metal?

They aren't and have never been nu metal. Goddamn it fuzzyroes please stop posting.

And I am a big fan. KNY is so goddamn good. Self titled, SNW, and Adrenaline are the weakest but I still like those quite a bit.

Dogfighter28
02-18-2015, 05:21 PM
I think most of Adrenaline and the song Headup are pretty nu metal. I don't like those at all.

But they quickly progressed into a great shoegaze metal band thing and are making the best music of their career now IMO

Trotskilicious
02-18-2015, 05:47 PM
deftones rose above that genre everybody knows that

i dont really listen to them but the number of smart ppl who do confirm their legitimacy and are worthy of respect

toase
02-18-2015, 05:56 PM
I think most of Adrenaline and the song Headup are pretty nu metal. I don't like those at all.

But they quickly progressed into a great shoegaze metal band thing and are making the best music of their career now IMO

yeah adrenaline is pretty nu metal

LaBelle
02-18-2015, 06:30 PM
This thread made me want to give the Deftones a chance, I always thought they were similar to Korn and barely even listened to it

Trotskilicious
02-18-2015, 06:42 PM
not at all, way more post hardcore id say and like dogfucker said they have shoegaze elements

toase
02-18-2015, 06:44 PM
another girls band

Elphenor
02-18-2015, 06:45 PM
My secret is that I enjoy a few Korn songs

I could never get into Deftones though

toase
02-18-2015, 06:46 PM
what secret?
don't tell me

Elphenor
02-18-2015, 06:51 PM
Like I would probably pay to see Korn live

LaBelle
02-18-2015, 06:51 PM
My secret is that I enjoy a few Korn songs

Which ones?

Elphenor
02-18-2015, 06:53 PM
I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you

hnibos
02-18-2015, 06:54 PM
I liked that one deftones song that was on a nhl game like a decade ago

LaBelle
02-18-2015, 06:56 PM
BALL TONGUE!!!
YABADABOOOBADABADAAAAA
BALL TONGUE!!!

toase
02-18-2015, 07:24 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9tmPBuSpmfA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

this is the ultimate cocaine song for me

Eulogy
02-18-2015, 07:47 PM
I do really think their latest might be their best, as much as I love around the fur and white pony.

Romantic Dreams, Leathers, Entombed, Tempest, What Happened to You. Mmm.

toase
02-18-2015, 08:06 PM
Probably, I felt the same way for diamond eyes, now koynoyokan

also, any chance people will start talking about how good chino looks? no? okay

Eulogy
02-18-2015, 11:20 PM
The you've seen the butcher video. Omg.

I think he got fat again though

ButtHash
02-19-2015, 12:33 AM
Yeah Chino's hefty again. More in a "fuck it, I'm getting old" way than a "divorce/drug addiction/band strife" way like during the SNW era.

But yeah, I'm a straight guy and Chino's totally dreamy. Easily one of my favorite voices.

DEFTONES

ButtHash
02-19-2015, 12:41 AM
At it's best, Saturday Night Wrist sounds like the soundtrack to an imaginary horror movie or something. Such an eerie vibe. The album art is pretty haunting too.

Sonic Johnny
02-19-2015, 12:48 AM

As someone who also likes 1 or 2 Korn songs and who has seen them live, I can advise you not to waste your time.

Also if you like Korn and not Deftones yer missing something.

I feel like you would probably get more into the washed-out Hum-worship stuff than the more metal stuff. Try this:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/mLa0-sQg1YM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

LaBelle
02-19-2015, 05:28 AM
Is this real life?

Sonic Johnny
02-19-2015, 07:08 AM
with remarkable efficiency

Eulogy
02-19-2015, 07:10 AM

I can see this I suppose. But the association still irks me for obvious reasons.

Headup is great though.

Eulogy
02-19-2015, 07:11 AM
with remarkable efficiency

I used my powers for good.

Album rank!

Koi No Yokan
Around the Fur
White Pony
(Top three always subject to change)
Diamond Eyes
SNW
Deftones
Adrenaline

reprise85
02-19-2015, 07:11 AM
del wrong thread

Eulogy
02-19-2015, 07:12 AM
I may be under valuing diamond eyes. Haven't listened in a while.

You've Seen the Butcher was my JAM for a few months a while back.

Eulogy
02-19-2015, 08:33 AM
Fuzzy keep your bullshit out of this thread or I'll just start deleting them instead of moving them. There is a perfectly fine discussion about one band happening here. Don't fuck it up.

yo soy el mejor
02-19-2015, 11:56 AM
Bored is probs my favourite deftones tune.

\m/

yo soy el mejor
02-19-2015, 11:58 AM
i got to see deftones when i was 16 with miggy donjuan, my big time crush and good friend at the time.

r.i.p bronco bowl ;_;

fuzzyroes
02-19-2015, 09:13 PM
Fuzzy keep your bullshit out of this thread or I'll just start deleting them instead of moving them. There is a perfectly fine discussion about one band happening here. Don't fuck it up.

Sorry brother :(

october
02-19-2015, 09:16 PM
'Rosemary' on Koi No Yokan is pretty spectacular if anyone is still skeptic about its ruthless amazingness

Raskolnikov
02-20-2015, 02:19 PM
I had no plans to buy "Diamond Eyes" - honestly, "Saturday Night Wrist" just didn't do a ton for me. Then, I scored a free copy of it, and was floored... Diamond Eyes is great, great stuff. Butcher, Sextape, Rocket Skates - it's solid stuff.

So when Koi No Yokan didn't hit me like that album did, I thought it might have been another mis-step like SNW was. Will give it some major time this next week.

And yeah, just since we're posting great stuff here:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/f0pdwd0miqs?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mals Marola
02-22-2015, 02:49 PM

GOOOODDD TOOOLD MEEEE
ALREADY GOT THE LIFE
oooh i see

ya koi no yokan is surprising though, my main thing at first was that it was kind of a "oh they've got another album i feel like i just got D.E." & it wasn't that huge a change so i wasn't super eager to jump on another deftones being the deftones type thing until i had really... devoured the rest of the disog (which i more or less did, minus the b-sides & whatnot)