View Full Version : Corgan is at it again on ESPN Le Batard

wounded
12-15-2014, 07:18 PM
the interview train rolls on

He was bluntly asked about his Pearl Jam beef and he said it is not a beef he was just giving an honest answer. He thinks they never lived up to their potential.

He doesn't take a computer on the road because he does not need to be poking around on the internet reading things he probably shouldn't read (ie netphoria?). he prefers to just read a book

He was asked who is the one celeb you have met that you were awed that particular celeb liked you and your music and he didn't really have an answer

He told an anecdote about the Pumpkins becoming Spinal Tap. Once a band member was bitching about the deli tray. Once someone took a picture back stage at an award show before they were ready for pictures and he got super pissed off and was yelling at the person because the band didn't look good. Dick Clark came out of his dressing room in no pants, only underwear, gave him a hug and said..."it's going to be okay."

Ram27
12-15-2014, 07:42 PM
Band is certainly as much of a washed up clusterfuck as Tap

slunken
12-15-2014, 07:51 PM
what band

juliana
12-15-2014, 08:02 PM
I doubt netphoria bothers bill that much. I think the random stupid articles are the issue.

Bet bill will read netphoria over the holidays.

slunken
12-15-2014, 08:17 PM
i heard that the song my czarina is about netphoria think about it

amoergosum
12-19-2014, 04:37 AM
>>>
http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=12038412

amoergosum
12-19-2014, 04:52 AM
Billy's band mates were turning on him because he was making most of the money.

Trotskilicious
12-19-2014, 04:55 AM
oh for god's sake he's talking to dan lebatard how desperate is he

god i hate this guy i forgot for a little bit how much i hate billy corgan what the fuck am i even doing here

amoergosum
12-19-2014, 04:55 AM
Smashing Pumpkins frontman Billy Corgan discussed his recent criticism of Eddie Vedder and Pearl Jam in an interview with ESPN Radio‘s Dan Le Batard & Stugotz.

“I wouldn’t call it a beef, Howard [Stern] asked me an honest question, to rate my generation’s greats, and I gave an honest answer, and suddenly I’m a bad guy. I’ve held that opinion for over 20 years, so nothing new. I wouldn’t discourage anybody from listening to a band like Pearl Jam, it’s not that. Look, they once asked Charles Barkley if he thought Michael Jordan was better than him, and he said, ‘Hell no. I wouldn’t play if I thought Michael Jordan was better than me.’ So in the gist of competition, I view as an equal or lesser than, and in that case, I gave an honest answer.”

The host asked if BillCo felt Pearl Jam went too commercial. Corgan responded, “I would say it’s kind of the opposite, I would say they never completely fulfilled their commercial promise. I think they were a great band who kind of got wrapped up in a trip, like we all get wrapped up in trips, and never completely fulfilled their promise. It’s weird because I know people who are fans don’t feel that way, but a lot of people that I know feel the opposite, so there’s that weird divide. But again, it’s not a diss to say that you don’t rate somebody as high as you rate somebody else, I don’t get that. I listen to your program all of the time, you guys sit there and rate football teams, players. Is that a personal attack? No. It’s just the way you see it.”

Source:
http://www.alternativenation.net/billy-corgan-pearl-jam-commercial-promise/

Trotskilicious
12-19-2014, 04:56 AM
i just want to kill myself right now this is so goddamn stupid. maybe siamese dream and mellon collie really are overrated junk by a hack who couldn't last 5 years in the business

houseofglass11
12-19-2014, 05:03 AM
shut the fuck up trots

FoolofaTook
12-19-2014, 09:02 AM
...what the fuck am i even doing here

you are hating billy corgan. isn't that what this place is all about?

Butt Pope
12-19-2014, 01:20 PM
Trots is right.

Araneae
12-19-2014, 01:28 PM
Do you think he'll ever realize how much of a hypocrite he's being? He's so terribly critical of other people and other bands (not that I necessarily disagree with a few of his assessments) but he can't stand it if anyone else criticizes him. He chalks it up to "being honest," well maybe his critics are just "being honest" too.

pavementtune
12-19-2014, 01:30 PM
I don't understand why some here seem to expect a perfectly reasonable (or mentally healthy, whatever you want to call it) Corgan all of a sudden.
fine line between genius and insanity and all - I thought it's basically common knowledge that he crossed whatever line years ago.

Elijah Moon
12-19-2014, 01:35 PM
I just hear bits and pieces, like him wrestling Alex Jones' cat for eight hours

Araneae
12-19-2014, 01:36 PM
To be fair to him, sometimes he can act quite reasonable and humble but I wonder if that's just a show he puts on too. He just sounds like a broken record now. Every single fucking interview is a criticism about other bands, the culture, the industry, how he doesn't get enough respect/credit, blahblahblah…

Elphenor
12-19-2014, 01:46 PM
He's miserable and insane and now he's middle aged and he doesn't know what to do with himself.

This act that he puts on with "yeah I'm super happy and God and Love and Soul" is more to fool himself than anything else.

This guy is one of us, he's on the misery train until he dies. He might as well just start an account here

FoolofaTook
12-19-2014, 02:02 PM
he posted here back in the day

houseofglass11
12-19-2014, 02:03 PM
I thought Billy sounded pretty reasonable in this interview. His remarks about Pearl Jam weren't that far off base. They did abandon their commercial potential starting with 'No Code' by putting out inaccessible records for 12 years. There were some good moments here and there like "wishlist" but...

It's strange that they are held in higher regard than SP because they went further off the deep end than Billy did. Maybe it has something to do with them having the same lineup aside from drummers since the beginning. And songs from 'Ten' still get played to death on rock radio. There's a level of nostalgia ascribed to them that isn't there for SP. There was also always a more broad appeal with Pearl Jam. Pearl Jam appealed more to plebs, jocks, and the everyman than SP ever did because there was more machismo with bands like them and Soundgarden.

houseofglass11
12-19-2014, 02:10 PM
All the Pearl Jam talk reminds of Anthony Kiedis' biography where he talks about that early 90's tour with them and SP. Pretty interesting:

"We began the tour at the Oscar Meyer Theatre in Madison, Wisconsin. Pearl Jam opened, and when they played their first single, “Alive”, at the end of their set, I realized that Vedder had an incredible voice and they had a pop smash on their hands. Backstage, we made friends with the Smashing Pumpkins, and it turned out they were weirder than we could have imagined. I met D’Arcy, their bass player, and thought she was cute in a weird Gothy way. James, the guitar player, was super-shy and mellow, and Billy Corgan, the leader of the band, was jovial and approachable. But after their set, D’Arcy got hammered on vodka and whippets. She was high as a kite. If this was the way she was starting out a tour, imagine what she’d be like by the end of it.

As the tour progressed, we got closer with both of the opening bands. Most people will tell you that Billy Corgan is the most difficult and unhappy human in the world, but my experience with him was completely different. I found him very intelligent and sensitive, with a keen sense of irony. His e-mail address used to be “blackcloud °blah, blah, blah.”. He was also a remarkably talented basketball player. We were playing backstage at a Shriner’s Club gig in Milwaukee during a sound check, and my immediate read on Billy was “tall, gangly, musical, nerdy intellectual”, not “ball-player”. But we started shooting around, and Billy stepped up and started draining outside shots.

We went on a lot of multiband outings that tour, going to movies, and I always found Billy supportive and never competitive or weirdly jealous. But he clearly was the boss of Smashing Pumpkins, and the rest of them were pretty much under his thumb. D’Arcy was really sweet, but she seemed to be an accident waiting to happen. James wasn’t as much a loose wire as D’Arcy, but their drummer, Jimmy Chamberlain, was a monster. Thank God I was sober that tour, because if I hadn’t been, he would have been my running partner, and we both would have been dead. He drank and used and caroused like a fucking gorilla with a huge heart. I remember going out to clubs after these shows, especially in New York, and he’d be at the bar in a trench coat, feeling the joy of his own success in this band, touring the world for the first time and drinking with a pocketful of this and a pocketful of that and some girls nearby. He was a real Chicago Polack with a lot of musical talent and no rules whatsoever. He’s doing all right now, but he had his escapes with the dark side."

Araneae
12-19-2014, 02:19 PM
1990 Billy doesn't exist anymore.

He doesn't sound at all crazy in this interview but it's just the same stuff again. I really don't get the PJ and Foo's criticism. What difference does it really make? Their only crime is being boring, it's not Billy's place to be the gatekeeper of the 90s and tell everyone else how they should be making music. It just doesn't fucking matter, nobody gives a shit about the 90s anymore. I don't think his criticism is because he genuinely cares about his peers and their potential, it just comes off like he's upset that they seem to be doing commercially better than him.

houseofglass11
12-19-2014, 02:25 PM
I agree with you. What it does it put more people at odds with him. The kind of people who listen to PJ and the Foo's are the same people who listen to stuff like Smashing Pumpkins. They're rock fans and there aren't as many of them left as there were in the 90's. So it's pretty much shitting in your own backyard.

Elphenor
12-19-2014, 02:27 PM
But he's right about them

Both those bands really suck minus like 3 songs between them

Elijah Moon
12-19-2014, 02:31 PM
I've never liked Pearl Jam. I really liked the Foo Fighters' first three albums, but after that they suddenly became pretty awful.

Elphenor
12-19-2014, 02:31 PM
It's embarrassing that any 90's bands or artists can be big in this day and age. Surely we can do better than last generation's washed up rockstars

but that's just me speaking as a 20 year old

houseofglass11
12-19-2014, 02:32 PM
I've never liked Pearl Jam. I really liked the Foo Fighters' first three albums, but after that they suddenly became pretty awful.

^^^
Exactly.

houseofglass11
12-19-2014, 02:33 PM
I agree with you Elph. The 2000's onward have produced little in the way of new icons or rock stars or great bands unless you count people like Josh Homme or Muse (I don't).

Elphenor
12-19-2014, 02:36 PM
I feel like Radiohead is the only band from that era that doesn't come off as washed up because they shifted their sound at just the right time starting with Kid A to the point of almost being a different band entirely.

And imo a better band, I think of Radiohead part B as the most important band of the last 10 years.

Elphenor
12-19-2014, 02:40 PM
Kid A should have brought on a second Madchester but with a colder uncertain feel to align with the coming internet age. Post-Grunge and Nu-Metal should have instantly been declared dead as a new wave of intelligent electronic rock bands got white people out onto the dance floor

Elphenor
12-19-2014, 02:41 PM
I agree with you Elph. The 2000's onward have produced little in the way of new icons or rock stars or great bands unless you count people like Josh Homme or Muse (I don't).

I like Muse but they're pretty much Radiohead lite

houseofglass11
12-19-2014, 02:46 PM
Muse has always sounded like Rage Against the Machine meets Radiohead with the worst parts of Queen thrown in. I like some of their stuff though, particularly 'Origin of Symmetry'.

Elphenor
12-19-2014, 02:49 PM
Honestly I saw them live and they played Uprising and then kicked into Rage's "Freedom" and I don't give a fuck, it rocked and it was one of the better shows I've been to.

They sound really good live

houseofglass11
12-19-2014, 02:51 PM
Yeah, I saw them with Silversun Pickups opening. The SSPU guys said that Muse wouldn't talk to them. Lol

Elphenor
12-19-2014, 02:51 PM
Knights of Cydonia is a space western complete with horse galloping and lasergun sounds.

I don't care, I fucking love Muse

pavementtune
12-19-2014, 02:55 PM
I feel like Radiohead is the only band from that era that doesn't come off as washed up because they shifted their sound at just the right time starting with Kid A to the point of almost being a different band entirely.

elphy, you mean OK Computer, three years prior to Kid A.

Elphenor
12-19-2014, 02:56 PM
No, OK Computer is fantastic and all but not the departure Kid A was and not as good an album imo

pavementtune
12-19-2014, 02:58 PM
OK Computer was not the departure in terms of shifting their sound? like what the fuck elphy, stop talking about music history when you don't know jackshit.

Elphenor
12-19-2014, 02:59 PM
OK Computer is the album that ultimately inspired the most post-2000 stuff I think when everyone should have taken Kid A and ran with it

Elphenor
12-19-2014, 03:01 PM
OK Computer was not the departure in terms of shifting their sound? like what the fuck elphy, stop talking about music history when you don't know jackshit.

"music history"

We're just talking about Radiohead. And while OK Computer is certainly a progression from The Bends, I don't see it as being as much a departure as Kid A

Elijah Moon
I also think 'Kid A' was more of a departure in many ways, including, for example, song structure and use of electronic soundscapes. Maybe they were going in that direction on 'OK Computer' but 'Kid A' was a massive shift.

houseofglass11
OK Computer really isn't that much of a departure. It was still a rock record. They were doing stuff like that on the My Iron Lung EP and a lot the Bends b-sides.

Elphenor
12-19-2014, 03:03 PM
None of us know jack shit about music history apparently

pavementtune
12-19-2014, 03:05 PM
OK Computer is the departure soundwise, there simply is no argument against it. and deliberately.
nobody is arguing that Kid A isn't more of what they started there, and less rock-guitar-The-Bends, but it was not the START shifting their sound.
you can call it the peak or whatever, but the start happened 1997.

Araneae
12-19-2014, 03:07 PM
Radiohead lost me along the way but I've always considered them one of the few bands from the 90s that attempted to create a different sound for each album. Billy didn't count them as one of the great "scribes" of the 90s but I think they should probably be there. I get the feeling Billy's still mad that Radiohead gets credited for things he feels he should be credited for (like the free album thing, though it was a completely different set of circumstances and intentions).

Elphenor
12-19-2014, 03:07 PM
Oh I see, I didn't mean to say OK Computer wasn't also a departure if that's how you read it

pavementtune
12-19-2014, 03:12 PM
ah okay, then I misunderstood you.
I read "starting" as starting.

because they shifted their sound at just the right time starting with Kid A to the point of almost being a different band entirely.

And imo a better band, I think of Radiohead part B as the most important band of the last 10 years.

but you are not on trial here! (I love that line, can we make it a Corgan meme.)

I'm waiting when he'll get tired of mentioning Foos and PJ and step in the Radiohead puddle again. It's odd that he hasn't already when going on about the 90ies and his contemporaries.
Last time with his "I piss on Radiohead" he had to clarify (or whatever that was) that he actually respects them and thinks they were good. maybe he learned from that, but I doubt it. It's all competition right...

Elphenor
12-19-2014, 03:15 PM
I liked when MCIS Corgan took a slight shot at Yorke. MCIS Corgan could literally get away with saying anything, to me that guy is forever untouchable

The exploding boy
12-19-2014, 03:15 PM
Muse is horrible. Absolutely dreadful. Overblown over the top bullshit with not an ounce of soul in it. Nothing genuine. When i see british magazines championing Bellamy as a guitar hero, i cringe.

Elphenor
12-19-2014, 03:16 PM
All chubby in his dumb moose sweater hunching over a piano playing Lily

Elphenor
12-19-2014, 03:18 PM
Muse is horrible. Absolutely dreadful. Overblown over the top bullshit with not an ounce of soul in it. Nothing genuine. When i see british magazines championing Bellamy as a guitar hero, i cringe.

They're like the geekiest band I've ever seen with the geekiest fans I've ever seen.

There was much dodging of eye contact and social awkwardness

pavementtune
12-19-2014, 03:25 PM
Billy didn't count them as one of the great "scribes" of the 90s but I think they should probably be there.
well they are there.
I just realized there is a perfectly logical reason why he hasn't mentioned them lately. He's talking sales competition - Foos with their doc promo and PJ are still selling, Radiohead is not a topic since there are no 2013/14 albums to compare sales figures.
Yorke is doing his dj thing and a bit Atoms for Peace here and there, Greenwood is doing film scores, they have a family, kids.
If Corgan had kids he might be one of those "my kid learned to talk and walk before yours did." he hasn't, so there you go.

Elphenor
12-19-2014, 03:27 PM
I try not to think about the fact that Yorke is a Dad

Elphenor
12-19-2014, 03:31 PM
There's a new Radiohead album being made right now and that's legitimately exciting

BloodstainedJar
12-19-2014, 04:02 PM
I could never get into Radiohead. At all. All those people who say they could never get into the Pumpkins because of Billy's voice? That's how I feel about Thom Yorke. Every time I hear them I wonder if I need to be on something to really "get" their sound.

The Foo Fighters have always just been weak, IMO. Again, it's a band I've never really seen the appeal of, outside of a couple songs. I just don't find them particularly talented. People used to say the same thing about Nirvana, but at least I could connect with Kurt's music even if it was all power chords. The Foo Fighters are just the epitome of mediocre, in my book.

Pearl Jam though... while I'm not a huge fan and they did go through their awful period in the late 90s, they're still immensely talented and I'm glad they've been able to keep a huge fan base over the years. And Vedder always seemed like a good dude to me; standing up for worthy causes and such.

Elphenor
12-19-2014, 04:08 PM
Vedder's voice is way too masculine for me, gross

Elphenor
12-19-2014, 04:15 PM
If you're gonna play big heavy arena guitars have an effeminate lead singer ala Corgan or Yorke to balance it out.

Modern90's
12-19-2014, 04:20 PM
Pearl jam is ok ten is a pretty good album and foo fighters has a couple songs that are good but they get bland in my opinion

The exploding boy
12-19-2014, 04:40 PM
Despite the horrible yorke imitators that came after, Yorke is the best singer to have come out of the 90's qnd one of the best from any era.

Elphenor
12-19-2014, 04:41 PM
^

Elphenor
12-19-2014, 04:44 PM
Much better than that vibrating goat

Trotskilicious
12-19-2014, 09:51 PM
gotta love a guy on a pumpkins board bitching about a whiny voice

The exploding boy
12-19-2014, 10:28 PM
But after their set, D’Arcy got hammered on vodka and whippets. "

Oh man, i love getting hammered on whippets:

http://eyezinacookbook.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/whippet__09131_zoom.jpg

but i like to have irish cream in mine

http://cdn3.volusion.com/ko2ue.us92f/v/vspfiles/photos/DFWIC-2.jpg?1386269785

dreams of glass
12-20-2014, 03:26 AM
I don't know where else to put this

http://41.media.tumblr.com/dd2735c2ce6bd50d3e3448a9a8c08a03/tumblr_mmhvkflycf1qzqd7fo1_500.jpg

fuzzyroes
12-20-2014, 05:49 AM
Despite the horrible yorke imitators that came after, Yorke is the best singer to have come out of the 90's qnd one of the best from any era.

Heh, it's funny cause a lot of people hate on Veddar due to the amount of horrible vocal imitators that followed... But the same thing can be said for Yorke... Bands like Coldplay and Muse are nearly as bad as shit like Nickelback and Creed... Perhaps a slight upgrade... but still really fucking terrible.

cardiac
12-20-2014, 06:24 AM
I don't know where else to put this

http://41.media.tumblr.com/dd2735c2ce6bd50d3e3448a9a8c08a03/tumblr_mmhvkflycf1qzqd7fo1_500.jpg

"If young Billy had gotten the credit he deserved, when he deserved it, then things might have been different."

MyOneAndOnly
12-20-2014, 09:30 AM
"A real Chicago Polack!"

The exploding boy
12-20-2014, 12:48 PM
Heh, it's funny cause a lot of people hate on Veddar due to the amount of horrible vocal imitators that followed... But the same thing can be said for Yorke... Bands like Coldplay and Muse are nearly as bad as shit like Nickelback and Creed... Perhaps a slight upgrade... but still really fucking terrible.

I kinda agree with Corgan on vedder, at least when he did it, it was original. Like i don't care for Vedder's voie but he wasn't aping anyone.

I'm not kidding the first time i heard creed, i turned to the friend i was with not knowing it was creed and said that's weird they'd be laying a new PJ song in walmart. She laughed and i said whats funny, and she said.."oh you're not joking? This is creed."

Mals Marola
12-24-2014, 02:18 PM
I liked when MCIS Corgan took a slight shot at Yorke. MCIS Corgan could literally get away with saying anything, to me that guy is forever untouchable

what was this again