View Full Version : So the US is now rounding up American Iraquis for interrogation

Homerpalooza
03-19-2003, 03:53 PM
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/03/18/eveningnews/main544518.shtml

CBS News Correspondent Jim Stewart reports the FBI plans a massive wave of interrogations of over 10,000 Iraqi nationals who live in the U.S. That covers a lot of ground - individuals classified as students, defectors, permanent residents, visitors, and even a few recently naturalized U.S. citizens.

The bureau is also seeking to expel several more Iraqi diplomats like the two suspected intelligence agents who were kicked out of Baghdad's U.N. delegation in New York earlier this month. Officials also plan to detain all immigrants from 34 suspect countries seeking asylum - mindful that Ramzi Yousef, the first World Trade Center bomber in 1993, entered the U.S. seeking asylum from Iraq. The FBI says it anticipates making several terrorism- and visa fraud-related arrests as a result of their campaign.

It's all part of the bureau's plan to shake up the American Iraqi community in the hopes of shaking out the few Iraqis they suspect may be planted here to carry out attacks. Some, the bureau suspects, because their families are being held hostage back in Baghdad.

The American Muslim community knows about these concerns and is assisting the bureau suggesting, for example, that agents respect Muslim customs when making their calls.

"We encourage Muslim communities to invite FBI officials into the mosques to have meetings, to build lines of communications," says Ibrahim Hooper, with Council on American Islamic Relations.

Authorities say at least one potential Iraqi saboteur has been caught trying to enter the U.S. Officials have not provided any details of the capture and frankly assume that he will not be the last.

What a time to be alive.

jczeroman
03-19-2003, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Homerpalooza
[BWhat a time to be alive. [/B]

War isn't supposed to be fun

Isaac
03-19-2003, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by jczeroman

Was isn't supposed to be fun

You're right- Is, Were, and Are definitely make it much more fun- Was just fu*ks it all up.

jczeroman
03-19-2003, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Isaac

You're right- Is, Were, and Are definitely make it much more fun- Was just fu*ks it all up.

dammit...:o

Mayfuck
03-19-2003, 05:44 PM
I'm against racial profiling and all this Big Brother shit our government is trying to impose on us, but on a moral level, what if this does stem terrorism? I mean should we criticize this because its wrong only on principle despite that it might help our country? Are we sensitive to our political correctness that it disrupts what might questionably be pragmatic?

DeviousJ
03-19-2003, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by Mayfuck
I'm against racial profiling and all this Big Brother shit our government is trying to impose on us, but on a moral level, what if this does stem terrorism? I mean should we criticize this because its wrong only on principle despite that it might help our country? Are we sensitive to our political correctness that it disrupts what might questionably be pragmatic?

The question is how far do you let it go? A police state is obviously easier to control and keep secure, an entirely liberal country brings with it the potential for people to take advantage of their freedom. Is it worth sacrificing liberty for security? Of course that isn't exactly the situation here - it's mostly a case of sacrificing someone else's liberty for your own security, which is a sacrifice a lot of people are willing to make

Homerpalooza
03-19-2003, 06:14 PM

Good questions, but I personally doubt this helps the country or makes the country any safer. I could be wrong, but this just doesn't make sense.

There is no probable cause or suspicion to even do this in the first place. These people haven't been charged with anything, they're just trying to live their lives.

Crippler
03-19-2003, 06:15 PM

I agree. Sometimes idealism has to be put aside, which is something many people don't realize.