View Full Version : Get A Load of This! AMA Alternative Rock nominations:

fuzzyroes
11-25-2014, 03:35 AM
So I was flipping thru the channels and decided to watch a little bit of the American Music Awards last night. As I was flipping thru I saw that the next award was for Best Alternative Rock artist, so I figured that would be worth checking out.

LOOK AT THESE NOMINEES:

Lorde ( that young girl who has that "royal" song)

Bastille (no idea who these guys are but the clip sounded like the lamest Enya pop song I've ever heard)

Imagine Dragons( hahaha THIS is considered alternative rock these days? What a joke.):noway:

I guess the term Alternative Rock was always kind of stupid in the first place. But I think if you create a new genre for something than that kind of music should take ownership of the term.

Even if the term "Alternative" is debatable, none of those fucking bands are ROCK music.... Not even in the slightest.

I guess Rock really is dead.

Trotskilicious
11-25-2014, 04:34 AM
that young girl who has that "royal" song

fuzzyroes
11-25-2014, 04:38 AM
I forgot, Trotskys a hip and current music fan. You a big fan of that Alternative Rock artist Lorde, Trotsky?

Shallowed
11-25-2014, 04:43 AM
I guess the term Alternative Rock was always kind of stupid in the first place

Correct.

Next.

Shallowed
11-25-2014, 04:45 AM
something something gets played on the radio

Sonic Johnny
11-25-2014, 04:47 AM
Oh good lord, how will we ever carry on making music of any substance if an arbitrary out-of-touch mainstream awards ceremony can't even correctly identify the boundary of an equally arbitrary out-of-touch definition of a particular subset of alternative music?

fuzzyroes
11-25-2014, 04:49 AM
I didn't claim this was a topic of any importance. It was just a "haha WTF!?" moment for me. I cant' say I was entirely surprised. But I still didn't think that the mainstream press was classifying these groups as Alternative Rock artists.

Sonic Johnny
11-25-2014, 04:51 AM
I guess Rock really is dead.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/it/e/e5/Twin_Peaks_Episodio_Pilota_(James_Hurley).png

fuzzyroes
11-25-2014, 04:53 AM
Am I supposed to know who that is?

Sonic Johnny
11-25-2014, 05:01 AM
Most people are but you're excused, buddy.

fuzzyroes
11-25-2014, 05:03 AM
lol

fuzzyroes
11-25-2014, 05:04 AM
I see he's from Twin Peaks. Never heard of it.

Sonic Johnny
11-25-2014, 05:25 AM
I'll let somebody else take that bait

Elphenor
11-25-2014, 06:01 AM
Alternative Rock doesn't necessarily RAWK in the bluesy sense you mean. That's kind of the point.

Elphenor
11-25-2014, 06:02 AM
I also love Lorde

Stop taking pride in being lame

Trotskilicious
11-25-2014, 06:52 AM
I never heard of it. That means it's irrelevant and pointless and also stupid and also gay.

The exploding boy
11-25-2014, 11:32 AM
Regardless of what category Lorde belongs in.... she's awful.

Well or rather...she's just another example of how modern pop music (because how is that not pop?) keeps on scrapping the bottom. her lyrics are hypocritical and lack self awareness, her music (well or whoever "wrote" it) is anemic.

But that's probably just me being out of touch.....

Elphenor
11-25-2014, 11:54 AM
Maybe I could buy some of those criticisms if they didn't come from the guy who listens pretty much exclusively to pop

hnibos
11-25-2014, 12:02 PM
I like lorde :embarass:

Elphenor
11-25-2014, 12:02 PM
Lorde is for sure alternative

Idk about "Rock", but what does that word even mean?

The exploding boy
11-25-2014, 12:04 PM
Maybe I could buy some of those criticisms if they didn't come from the guy who listens pretty much exclusively to pop

but she is pop!

And don't start pulling the card everyone pulls with you...sir... like "your opinion is worthless because you like ____ or only listen to ___" in the end everyone's opinion about everything is kinda worthless. I'm not telling you what to like. I'm telling you how i feel about it. That's not worth much no matter who you are.

Elphenor
11-25-2014, 12:09 PM
No what I'm saying is if you want to criticize Pop music for being vapid then I respect that but you've expressed a devout following for simple music so it doesn't make sense for you to criticize Lorde in that regard

Sonic Johnny
11-25-2014, 12:15 PM
but she is pop!

And don't start pulling the card everyone pulls with you...sir... like "your opinion is worthless because you like ____ or only listen to ___" in the end everyone's opinion about everything is kinda worthless. I'm not telling you what to like. I'm telling you how i feel about it. That's not worth much no matter who you are.

relax dude

Mals Marola
11-25-2014, 03:39 PM

wouldn't that give him more credibility in this case

"royals" sucks unbelievably, "alternative rock" or not

Trotskilicious
11-25-2014, 04:03 PM
Regardless of what category Lorde belongs in.... she's awful.

Well or rather...she's just another example of how modern pop music (because how is that not pop?) keeps on scrapping the bottom. her lyrics are hypocritical and lack self awareness, her music (well or whoever "wrote" it) is anemic.

But that's probably just me being out of touch.....

Royals is one of the most self aware pop songs in existance

You arent much better tham fuzzyroses

Trotskilicious
11-25-2014, 04:05 PM
No what I'm saying is if you want to criticize Pop music for being vapid then I respect that but you've expressed a devout following for simple music so it doesn't make sense for you to criticize Lorde in that regard

Seroisly someone who writes an unecpected hit song with socio political lyrics is makin vacant pop per the guy who just hears pop music and discounts it out of hand

Trotskilicious
11-25-2014, 04:05 PM
Try again dorks

fuzzyroes
11-25-2014, 06:01 PM
Trotsky, is there any trend of the moment artist who you don't like? Exploding Boy is bang on. Lordes just a watered down, bland knock off of Adelle and Amy Winehouse. I think her lyrics are vapid too, but who even cares? It's not like she wrote them herself. She's just another pop-star puppet shoved out there by the industry to impress the trendy simpletons of the world.

fuzzyroes
11-25-2014, 06:03 PM
Lorde is for sure alternative

Idk about "Rock", but what does that word even mean?

Alternative to what? It sounds like a watered down Adelle-who is one of this generations highest grossing artists.

Rocks a type of music... One that does not apply to Lorde in any sense of the word.

The exploding boy
11-25-2014, 06:22 PM
^ erm she did write them herself though.

Well....unless her poet laureate mother helped.

I know the lyrics to royals, i bothered checking them out at the time. yeah she dint come from money as she says, no, just upper middle class. I doubt she had to count her money on the train and if she did it's just cause her parents weren't giving her enough. The bigger irony of this song now because of it shes very famous, making her pretty much a royal.

Musically its the same minimalistic pop that's big on the radio nowadays. It's mainly a beat with sparse instrumentation. this is a matter of taste of course, i just think it's kinda bullshit. Eveyrthing is just beats now. Not even good ones too. Who writes this shit and why are they getting paid for it? I'm all for punk ethos in music but i find it hard to determine nowadays what makes one pop song more valuable than the next. There's not even any hooks. That's too hard to bother with.

Sonic Johnny
11-25-2014, 06:31 PM
Hi fuzzy, everybody except you here.

It's 2014. Nearly everybody has a laptop and almost nobody has a guitar. That word "rock" is just a cultural heirloom from a time before this was the case. All the kids these days - regardless of if you like it or not - don't see a distinction between electronic and non-electronic music. If you would like an annual award to be doled that fits within your outdated perception of popular music, I advise you start reading Revolver or Kerrang! magazines, both of which are ideally pandering to the rockist philosophy of "good old rock music played on guitars by technically virtuosic but entirely insufferable white dudes is the only kind of good music there is"

Thanks in advance

ps go fuck yourself

The exploding boy
11-25-2014, 07:00 PM
I like to think there can be a happy medium between assholes shredding blues tinged solos left and right or changing key or time sig six times in a song and assholes fiddling with a few dials here and there and throwing their hands in the air or putting simplistic two or three notes patterns over a repetitive beat.

In essence i don't care how you reach the end product, music is music no matter how you make it and i like plenty of electronic stuff (in fact some days, especially when i hear some REALLY good electronic artist, i think why do i bother with all this physical shit, let's just go full electronic), it just seems to me though that a lot, not all, but a lot of today's music is extremely lazy. But again, maybe i'm just out of touch. At 36 i have to start accepting if it hasn't happened yet, it's probably coming very soon. Then again, unlike fuzzy, I also thought the guitar based music of the 90's was also as it turns out, mainly pretty fucking horrible. So i don't know.

I JUST DON'T FUCKING KNOW OK!?

Sonic Johnny
11-25-2014, 07:07 PM
maybe i'm just out of touch

well yes. I mean, this should be the title of the thread.

The exploding boy
11-25-2014, 07:21 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/dIQ1TLvQViY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The exploding boy
11-25-2014, 07:21 PM
And no posting a Hall and oates video isn't out of touch...it's....so spectacularly out of touch its goes right back to being hip.

Come to think of it though...this is probably a better song than royals...Oh no i didn't!

Sonic Johnny
11-25-2014, 07:29 PM
yeah we get it you're controversial. Royals ain't even the best Lorde tune by a good distance.

The exploding boy
11-25-2014, 08:19 PM
hmm no I wasnt trying to be.

(But if i really ask myself which song i'd rather listen to, yeah sure. Ideally though, anything else)

Trotskilicious
11-25-2014, 08:36 PM
Which you say once a week. Isnt it exhausting to dislike so many things?

Trotskilicious
11-25-2014, 08:42 PM
I love how ppl think you cant comment on the idle rich if ur mid class. Also the retroactive shaming for becoming "a royal" because of that song. Yeah its pretty ironic, im sure its not lost on her

I feel like most doodbroz hate pop because they really just hate women and only like manrock for men as is proper

Dont think fuzz likes any women in music, i think teb only has chvrches but because hes horny for ms mayberry

The exploding boy
11-25-2014, 08:51 PM
hmm fuck you. I think the last three youtubes videos i posted were women. The Organ today. all women. Alvvays, my new favorite band of the year, which i posted at least twice about, woman fronted, another is in the band too. Chvrches iike you said. Altered Images is one of my favorite band, girl singer. the go-gos, i said before how much i almost unreasonably like the go-gos. I could go on a while. Lots of women in my mp3 player. Oh and shit Kathleen hanna. Bikini Kill and Le tigre. Le tigre is like one of the 12 non local band ive sen live in my life... Warpaint.... Slowdive, MBV, Cocteau twins.... ok well i've made my point.

And being hot for ****** (we're on a first name basis...in my fantaisies) doesn't mean i don't appreciate her as an artist. I mean i liked the band before i knew what she looked like. It was just a case of icing on the cake. I think her vocal melodies MAKE the songs and her lyrics are perfect in the genre.

Sonic Johnny
11-25-2014, 09:18 PM
I think TEB is drunk

The exploding boy
11-25-2014, 09:39 PM
I don't drink.

BECAUSE IT'S "CONTROVERSIAL"

The exploding boy
11-25-2014, 09:40 PM
On the other hand i often sound like i'm drunkenly rambling

Which is why i shouldn't drink. I don't need to. I reach that stage sober.

The exploding boy
11-25-2014, 09:41 PM
I'm the angry drunk though.

THIS IS bbbbbbbbbbuuuuuklllllshiutttttttt.......FUCK YUO........

Sonic Johnny
11-25-2014, 09:43 PM
dude relax

The exploding boy
11-25-2014, 09:51 PM
I'm glad you're around as a calming presence for me on this forum.

Can i get a cutout of you with a caption that says dude relax so i can plaster it around my apartment? For those tough moments you know. Cut my finger in the kitchen....computer problems...looking for my keys...etc.

Elphenor
11-25-2014, 09:59 PM

It's 2014. Nearly everybody has a laptop and almost nobody has a guitar. That word "rock" is just a cultural heirloom from a time before this was the case. All the kids these days - regardless of if you like it or not - don't see a distinction between electronic and non-electronic music. If you would like an annual award to be doled that fits within your outdated perception of popular music, I advise you start reading Revolver or Kerrang! magazines, both of which are ideally pandering to the rockist philosophy of "good old rock music played on guitars by technically virtuosic but entirely insufferable white dudes is the only kind of good music there is"

Thanks in advance

ps go fuck yourself

*slow clap*

Shallowed
11-25-2014, 10:14 PM
Listen shithead, Post-punk isn't even a real thing. It's just a phrase used by the record industries to attract fucking no-mind numbskulls such as yourself

Elphenor
11-25-2014, 10:18 PM
http://images.popmatters.com/news_art/m/mark-e.-smith.jpg

Mals Marola
11-26-2014, 12:24 AM
the only good "alternative rock" shit i've heard recently is pretty much bands who were innovative in the genre at least 10 or so years ago who are coming back with at least somewhat innovative albums or stuff that incorporates interesting modern... techniques or even "tropes" i guess? at least in some way

the actual "currently new" artists who are makin my top 5 records of the year were majorly pop and/or rap, with a healthy side-dose of Depeche Mode, Tomahawk, and a coupla others from the former category

it's weird but i guess the only way for the whole "alternative ____" mindset to come full circle is for popular music itself to be cool again

Sonic Johnny
11-26-2014, 12:30 AM
^ totally. The reason people aren't getting so excited about guitar music anymore is that with few exceptions the genre has become pretty stagnant creatively. There are a bunch of great metal bands out there pushing the envelope (Deafheaven) but not very many new rock bands who make me go "wow".

Elphenor
11-26-2014, 12:38 AM
I'll take Arctic Monkeys and Franz Ferdinand over 95% of 90's bands honestly.

Elphenor
11-26-2014, 12:47 AM
When people say "Rock is Dead" I can only assume they mean big arena guitar rock which went out of style 30 years ago

Mals Marola
11-26-2014, 01:13 AM
they mean guitar music is dead

and

I'll take Arctic Monkeys and Franz Ferdinand over 95% of 90's bands honestly.

that just sounds like a personal problem
arctic monkeys and franz ferdinand are kinda just second-rate britpop or something, though franz's debut is a classic if you ask me
give parklife or different class a shot, if you haven't already

Elphenor
11-26-2014, 01:46 AM
FF is much more like GoF than Britpop which was second rate post-punk

Mals Marola
11-26-2014, 01:57 AM
wow

are you just intentionally self-parodying now or something? second-rate post punk lol?

fuzzyroes
11-26-2014, 03:05 AM

It's 2014. Nearly everybody has a laptop and almost nobody has a guitar. That word "rock" is just a cultural heirloom from a time before this was the case. All the kids these days - regardless of if you like it or not - don't see a distinction between electronic and non-electronic music.

That's all fine and dandy, music evolves and changes, that's a given. But if you're gonna give away an award for a genre, call it as it is. Surely theres a more apt term for an artist like Lorde than "Alternative Rock". And if Alternative rock isn't important any more in todays culture, don't give out an award for it. Seems simple enough.

fuzzyroes
11-26-2014, 03:07 AM
It's like saying: "BEST NEW ROCK ARTIST: Britney Spears!"

Just because theres no rock music anymore doesn't mean you have to start referring to it as something it's not.

Shallowed
11-26-2014, 03:11 AM
The American Music Awards are not culturally important, let alone alternative rock in the 2010s, let alone any music awards.

fuzzyroes
11-26-2014, 03:13 AM
about 12 million people tuned in for it

Shallowed
11-26-2014, 03:18 AM
What of it?

Elphenor
11-26-2014, 03:27 AM
http://i106hits.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Lorde.jpg

fuzzyroes
11-26-2014, 03:40 AM
What of it?

I'd say thatd pretty relevant

Trotskilicious
11-26-2014, 03:41 AM

and

that just sounds like a personal problem

sounds like he's twenty, no wonder he has a big bonner for post punk

franz and etc are his nirvana and etc

fuzzyroes
11-26-2014, 03:41 AM
http://i106hits.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Lorde.jpg

I thought you're not into punk-rock elphy?

Trotskilicious
11-26-2014, 03:42 AM
The American Music Awards are not culturally important, let alone alternative rock in the 2010s, let alone any music awards.

or any awards show period, has everyone clued in to the fact that it's a bunch of rich, successful people who get complimented all the time accepting more compliments, a trophy regarding how awesome they are

it's like you're watching these entertainment industries have circle jerks and not only watch it but talk about it like it matters

Elphenor
11-26-2014, 03:43 AM
Of course I'm into Punk

And The Cramps are post-punk

Trotskilicious
11-26-2014, 03:43 AM
i want you to make a new years resolution that you are not going to use the phrase "post punk" for all of 2015

Shallowed
11-26-2014, 03:48 AM
or any awards show period, has everyone clued in to the fact that it's a bunch of rich, successful people who get complimented all the time accepting more compliments, a trophy regarding how awesome they are

it's like you're watching these entertainment industries have circle jerks and not only watch it but talk about it like it matters

I dunno, whoever hands out Pulitzer Prize awards has a healthy sense of morbid reality.

Elphenor
11-26-2014, 03:49 AM

But it's clearly not

Guitars are used in every genre of music

Cool As Ice Cream
11-26-2014, 03:49 AM
the amas are fixed by vegas
its clear as crystal

fuzzyroes
11-26-2014, 03:52 AM
lol they actually are fixed. They usually only give out the awards to the artists that they can get to attend the shows

Shallowed
11-26-2014, 03:56 AM
culturally important

fuzzyroes
11-26-2014, 04:06 AM
sad but true my friend, sad but true

fuzzyroes
11-26-2014, 04:10 AM
I was reading a little bit about Lorde and she's basically just a record label creation. She's had a record label development deal since she was 12 years old.

Trotskilicious
11-26-2014, 04:15 AM
jealous much

Shallowed
11-26-2014, 04:19 AM
Why the fuck do you care so fucking much? Pretty much every band you like is on a major label and probably viewed a record deal as some white whale.

fuzzyroes
11-26-2014, 04:22 AM
A development deal is a different ball of wax entirely though. It's basically where they sign a kid who they think might be talented and pretty much mold them into whatever they think will sell.

fuzzyroes
11-26-2014, 04:23 AM
A lot of the great bands that I'm into created their sound in an organic fashion and then had record labels knocking because the music was so great.

fuzzyroes
11-26-2014, 04:24 AM
I mean, sure, it's just pop music. But I miss the days when these kind of artists actually had integrity.

Shallowed
11-26-2014, 04:30 AM
On 13 August 2009, Lorde joined her band-mate Louis McDonald for a chat on Jim Mora's Afternoons Radio New Zealand. There, they performed covers of Pixie Lott's "Mama Do (Uh Oh, Uh Oh)" and Kings of Leon's "Use Somebody".[10] In that year, they also won the school's annual talent show.[11] McDonald's father Ian sent out his home audio recording of her and Louis McDonald covering Duffy's song "Warwick Avenue", and his home video recording of Lorde and Louis McDonald singing Pixie Lott's "Mama Do", to Universal Music Group (UMG)'s A&R Scott Maclachlan.[9][12] In 2009 Maclachlan signed her to UMG for development.[13]

In 2010 Lorde and McDonald performed covers live on a regular basis as a duet called "Ella & Louis", playing at The Leigh Sawmill Cafe on 15 August, at Roasted Addiqtion Cafe in Kingsland on 20 August, at The Vic Unplugged at Victoria Theatre, Devonport on 27 October, and at Devonstock in Devonport on 12 December.[14] While working on her music career, she attended Takapuna Grammar School from 2010 to 2013, completing Year Twelve.[15] She later chose not to return in 2014 to finish Year Thirteen.[16]

In 2011, UMG hired vocal coach Frances Dickinson to give Lorde singing lessons twice a week for a year.[17] During this time, she began writing songs and was set up with a succession of songwriters, but without success.[18][13] At the age of fourteen, Lorde started reading short fiction and learnt how to "put words together."[19] She performed her own original songs publicly for the first time at The Vic Unplugged II on the Devonport Victoria Theatre main stage on 16 November 2011.[20] In December 2011, MacLachlan paired Lorde with Joel Little, a songwriter, record producer, and former Goodnight Nurse lead singer. The pair recorded five songs for an EP at Little's Golden Age Studios in Morningside, Auckland, and finished within three weeks.[21]

Some record deal development that is. She's not the fucking Spice Girls. It didn't take a record deal to achieve any of this. The fact is that Royals was a surprise hit, it was self released on Soundcloud with little to no promotion, and everything just snowballed from there.

Shallowed
11-26-2014, 04:33 AM
Fuzzyrose gearing up into full self parody mode. I can take my hands off the wheel now.

fuzzyroes
11-26-2014, 05:08 AM
"an aspiring pop star who's had a major-label development deal since age 12"
http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/18614-lorde-pure-heroine/

fuzzyroes
11-26-2014, 05:10 AM
who cares though, Lorde sucks

Cool As Ice Cream
11-26-2014, 06:00 AM
GET A LOAD OF THIS!

who cares though

Shallowed
11-26-2014, 06:01 AM
organic fashion

Shallowed
11-26-2014, 06:01 AM
music was so great

Sonic Johnny
11-26-2014, 07:53 AM
oh my god fuzzy for christ's sake shut the fuck up.

You don't like Lorde. Who cares? Probably not me. Or Lorde. So seriously who fucking cares what you think about development deals or pop music? You're just some nugget on a Smashing Pumpkins messageboard. You're like a punchline some comic thought of... "Oh yeah I bet a multimillionaire pop star cares for even a minute what a sad rockist dude posting on a smashing pumpkins themed messageboard thinks about her development deal"

this post brought to you by jamesons irish whiskey but I stand by what I said tomorrow.

Cool As Ice Cream
11-26-2014, 08:11 AM
JAMMISON

Sonic Johnny
11-26-2014, 08:29 AM
CONVERJAMESONS

The exploding boy
11-26-2014, 10:31 AM
Purely Fabricated Anti-Heroine

yeah its not that clever but it's all i got. Mainly, i'm bored talking about Lorde. Who gives a sht anyway her time in the sun is probably nearing the end.

Mals Marola
11-26-2014, 02:37 PM
sounds like he's twenty, no wonder he has a big bonner for post punk

franz and etc are his nirvana and etc

i don't understand that though, lol

franz were pretty cool at best when i was 14 and by the time i was twenty i was long past any of that "fuck stadium rock/metal!" shit so this doesn't resonate w me

whate'er

But it's clearly not

Guitars are used in every genre of music

i don't care if it is or isn't that's what the BOYS and the GIRLS out there are saying!

Trotskilicious
11-26-2014, 04:45 PM
Dont say fuck stadium rock on an sp board

Trotskilicious
11-26-2014, 05:12 PM
Btelw fuzzy is jelly of lorde because monkey piss didnt get signed even tho thy are better than wire and the white stripes combined

Shallowed
11-26-2014, 06:02 PM
In summary, fuzzyrose is confused as to why an entertainment industry circlejerk gives awards to artists that he sees as being born of the entertainment industry, and not to one of "the great bands that [he is] into" that "created their sound in an organic fashion and then had record labels knocking because the music was so great. [...] these kind of artists actually had integrity."

Shallowed
11-26-2014, 06:02 PM
I didn't claim this was a topic of any importance.

culturally important

sad but true my friend, sad but true

Elphenor
11-26-2014, 11:01 PM
i don't understand that though, lol

franz were pretty cool at best when i was 14 and by the time i was twenty i was long past any of that "fuck stadium rock/metal!" shit so this doesn't resonate w me

whate'er

i don't care if it is or isn't that's what the BOYS and the GIRLS out there are saying!

I would say it worked the opposite way for me. I was really into stadium rock and metal when I was 14. How do you grow into those genres?

The boys and girls aren't saying guitar music is dead and anyone who does is being clearly stupid.
Guitars are used in everything from Hip-Hop and Pop to Classical and Jazz.
I have no idea why people associate Rock exclusively with guitars. There are artists I would describe as Rock that don't use guitars at all

If I had to try and describe what "Rock" is I would say it's just a "you know it when you see it" deals. And I can totally see why someone would describe Lorde as alternative Rock

Trotskilicious
11-27-2014, 02:53 AM
Dont say fuck stadium rock on an sp board

this means you too, elph

Trotskilicious
11-27-2014, 02:53 AM
there is nothing wrong with craving a sound big enough to fill a stadium

Trotskilicious
11-27-2014, 02:55 AM
I have no idea why people associate Rock exclusively with guitars. There are artists I would describe as Rock that don't use guitars at all

wut

fuzzyroes
11-27-2014, 03:03 AM

Really? And what artists are these?

fuzzyroes
11-27-2014, 03:04 AM
ahh Trots already beat me to it

fuzzyroes
11-27-2014, 03:05 AM
In summary, fuzzyrose is confused as to why an entertainment industry circlejerk gives awards to artists that he sees as being born of the entertainment industry, and not to one of "the great bands that [he is] into" that "created their sound in an organic fashion and then had record labels knocking because the music was so great. [...] these kind of artists actually had integrity."

Not really confused. I can see why the masses would like a pop-star like Lorde. She has her appeal. It's just in no shape or form Alternative Rock.

That's like calling One direction a hard-rock group because they have punchy guitars in their songs.

Shallowed
11-27-2014, 03:17 AM
It's just too bad that a band with integrity that created their sound in an organic fashion didn't get an award from the entertainment industry circlejerkers

Mals Marola
11-27-2014, 03:20 AM
I would say it worked the opposite way for me. I was really into stadium rock and metal when I was 14. How do you grow into those genres?

The boys and girls aren't saying guitar music is dead and anyone who does is being clearly stupid.
Guitars are used in everything from Hip-Hop and Pop to Classical and Jazz.

If I had to try and describe what "Rock" is I would say it's just a "you know it when you see it" deals. And I can totally see why someone would describe Lorde as alternative Rock

i completely agree witih the scond part of yer statement ASIDE from the lorde thing because from what i've heard she's not "rock" in any capacity. as for the first part i didn't really "grow into" stadium rock or whatever i just sort of got over myself and learned to love pretension and extravagance/indulgence in a big way, sp had a big fucking part in that for what it's worth

it's been pretty commonly harped on by this point that "guitar music" is dead or whatever but you aren't really seeming to distinguish between that and "music that uses guitars sometimes"

having a trumpet on something doesn't make it jazz

Mals Marola
11-27-2014, 03:21 AM
this means you too, elph

is this insinuating that yer first comment was actually aimed at me

i don't get it, i was saying i was against the "fuck stadium rock" thing

Trotskilicious
11-27-2014, 03:23 AM
i already explained it and it was aimed at you but applies to him also

Trotskilicious
11-27-2014, 03:25 AM
but i see now that sp became indulgent stadium rock that it helped you get over it which i guess is weird because i think SD and definitely MCIS is stadium rock

also bowie was total super extravagant indulgent stadium glam and it was <i>amazing</I>

Mals Marola
11-27-2014, 03:27 AM
what did you explain exactly
i was denouncing the general "fuck stadium rock" attitude, seems sort of redundant to say "don't say it" afterward doesn't it

Mals Marola
11-27-2014, 03:29 AM
but i see now that sp became indulgent stadium rock that it helped you get over it which i guess is weird because i think SD and definitely MCIS is stadium rock

also bowie was total super extravagant indulgent stadium glam and it was <i>amazing</I>

how is it weird that sp being hugely stadium-rock-influenced is exactly what got me over the attitude of "fuck stadium rock"...?

and i've always loved d. bowie

Trotskilicious
11-27-2014, 03:46 AM
so fuck some of it, you know?

Trotskilicious
11-27-2014, 03:46 AM
there is nothing wrong with craving a sound big enough to fill a stadium

^

Trotskilicious
11-27-2014, 03:48 AM
i even think arcade fire qualifies as stadium rock

my favorite s-k album was literally made because they toured stadiums and arenas with pearl jam and didn't feel like they had a stadium sound in their repertoire

Mals Marola
11-27-2014, 03:49 AM
yes, i agree...

am i wording something wrong here or is one of us just missing something, lol

my stance is "i am appreciative and/or at least open to 'stadium rock' and 'metal' now and have been for at least the past 4 years"

hence me not understanding where i come in to the "don't say fuck stadium rock on an sp board" attack, fer lack of better word

Trotskilicious
11-27-2014, 03:50 AM
i thought you said fuck stadium rock i am very high most of the time

Mals Marola
11-27-2014, 03:53 AM
nah

by the time i was twenty i was long past any of that "fuck stadium rock/metal!" shit

was my first post

basically meaning "hating on certain genres seems pretty immature and usually purely 'fashionable' to me now for the most part and has for the past however-many years"

though by this point in the night i'm drunk enough for the post i made 2 posts ago to have been a genuine struggle so lord knows what i've put across in the past 5 hours here

Trotskilicious
11-27-2014, 03:56 AM
oh well, apologies.

elph needs to move past the "fuck [insert genre that's not punk or post punk as i define it]" mindset he's got

Elphenor
11-27-2014, 04:39 AM
I like SP because on paper I should hate them but they're still my favorite American band

Elphenor
11-27-2014, 04:50 AM
Rock that doesn't use guitars at all is Suicide most notably and then groups that are like them.

Death Grips are Rock as far as I'm concerned but I don't really like them

Shallowed
11-27-2014, 05:18 AM
I've seen artists like Gorillaz and Tom Waits categorised with genres that are suffixed with rock.

Not that I agree with it, but i think that sometimes labelling music says more about the labeller than it does the music they label

Trotskilicious
11-27-2014, 05:26 AM
gorrillaz is still on the same you know thing as rock you know the 4 bar whatever someone who actually understands music theory come and explain to the class i'm legit retarded

fuzzyroes
11-27-2014, 05:43 AM
Gorillaz are awesome. They incorporate electronica in a real fresh and tasteful way.

Trotskilicious
11-27-2014, 05:44 AM
fuzzy stop. posting. vids.

Shallowed
11-27-2014, 05:48 AM
I'm not sure what you're referring to.

A good 90% of music, even somewhat experimental music is in 4/4 timing, and a good 9.9% of what remains is either 3/4 or 6/8.

fuzzyroes
11-27-2014, 05:48 AM
why? it helps people who aren't familiar with a certain artist get a little taste of their sound

Shallowed
11-27-2014, 05:50 AM
You are the last person on earth that anyone would need unsolicited music recs from

Cool As Ice Cream
11-27-2014, 06:03 AM
fuzzy is like so helpful

Trotskilicious
11-27-2014, 06:10 AM
here how about you say "I like that song Stylo a whole fucking lot especially that part with Bobby Womack because he fucking kills it" and then people can google it if they are under a rock and haven't heard stylo because seriously

i understand everyone posts vids but you don't seem to understand the appropriate time to do so, like if you mention something and someone goes "what is that" and you say here but you like pretty much mainstream everything so it's not you've got a clip of peter fripp and andy summers playing crazy weird guitar rock with each other to pull out of your sleeve. do you get it, sucka?

Mals Marola
11-27-2014, 09:23 AM
all this video talk is makin me hungry!

A good 90% of music, even somewhat experimental music is in 4/4 timing, and a good 9.9% of what remains is either 3/4 or 6/8.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/9lWKt4vxOdg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Shallowed
11-27-2014, 05:57 PM
That's a good example of a song that utilises both 5/4 timing and 2/4 timing to create a polyrhythmic effect, though it's quite simple even for a polyrhythm because the instruments are all played on the beat and don't really deviate from it.

And then when it gets to the chorus it goes back to 4/4. It's inescapable.

Trotskilicious
11-27-2014, 09:19 PM
i've never really been SUPER excited about gorillaz but i always appreciated how damon albarn was so famous in the UK that he decided to create a cartoon band so he wouldn't be such a focus

also i love how the only blur song to hit in america was a song making fun of american pop rock, and then gorrillaz is huge here but most people who like them don't even know who damon albarn or blur are

Shallowed
11-27-2014, 10:56 PM
Gorillaz could have been an early gateway to hip hop and electronic for me, had my young self not found appeal in them solely for having a cartoon frontend. So much of it went over my head, it was like Ren and Stimpy but not as absurd. I used to terrorize the chat room on the Gorillaz website, which was probably not moderated, from the age of ten.

And yeah at the time I hadn't made the connection between the WOOHOO band and Gorillaz, I just thought they were a cartoon rock band; it wasn't until later that I became suspicious of the fact that the characters were never depicted fiddling with samplers, sequencers, and other electronic instruments that the music was built from, it was only ever guitar-bass-drums-singer/rapper.

Mals Marola
11-28-2014, 03:12 AM
gorillaz are the thing that truly got me into music on a large scale

i was an un-suspecting 11-year-old who thought a drawing my friend made of 2d was cool-looking so i heard a coupla the singles, thought they were incredible/like nothing i'd heard before and went buy the album

thing was a whole new world to me, & in all honesty is still more or less at the top of my top 5 albums of all time

blur were soon to follow and that just led me further. better b-side band than the pumpkins, possibly

slunken
11-28-2014, 08:12 AM
Blasphemy

Elphenor
11-28-2014, 02:38 PM
Gorillaz are okay

Bread Regal
11-28-2014, 03:21 PM
I can't read any thread on this board without being consumed by second hand embarrassment.

wounded
12-03-2014, 06:19 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/6K2DBD9TLyY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Elphenor
12-03-2014, 07:11 PM
+

Elphenor
12-03-2014, 07:16 PM
The hall of fame is really lame but Lorde is cool

Trotskilicious
12-04-2014, 05:13 AM
yeah she's not the enemy that's for sure

iggy azalea is the fuckin enemy

fuzzyroes
12-04-2014, 05:30 AM
Never even heard of her. What's her big hit?

Trotskilicious
12-04-2014, 05:43 AM
shut the fuck up

fuzzyroes
12-04-2014, 05:57 AM
u mad bro?

Trotskilicious
12-04-2014, 06:09 AM
i just don't think you have any fucking right to comment on pop music if you don't know who iggy azalea is and it dovetails with the fact that you think lorde is an "adele ripoff"

when are we going to come to the day when you say "i don't know what the fuck that is and i don't have an opinion on it because i don't know what the fuck it is"

Trotskilicious
12-04-2014, 06:10 AM
if you live in some kind of cultural bubble that even "Fancy" couldn't penetrate then...well honestly i'm sort of jealous but that bubble also doesn't allow a lot of good shit to get in either

are you also blissfully unaware of "Blurred Lines" and "Happy"?

Mals Marola
12-04-2014, 06:19 AM
if there's a battle of lorde vs. iggy azalea, i am firmly (nopunintended) on team iggy

Sonic Johnny
12-04-2014, 09:00 AM
Do Americans regularly note that she's from fuckin Byron Bay but she raps like a yank?

Elijah Moon
12-04-2014, 09:04 AM
She's the most annoying, obnoxious, fake artist to come onto my radar in years.

The exploding boy
12-04-2014, 10:04 AM
Do Americans regularly note that she's from fuckin Byron Bay but she raps like a yank?

Yes. And black too. This shit annoys me to no end actually. You've got white girls from all over the english speaking world now trying to sound like they're black whether they're singing or rapping. White people...stop trying to fake you've got soul or that you're so street. You cant appropriate the culture and it's insulting to those who actually have to live it. Like "I'm white middle class but oh man i so wish i could be street just like you!"

Ultimately though Lorde's music is not that much more sophisticated than Iggy Azalea's. Just the lyrics.

And getting her to sing Nirvana at the HOF was really fucking lame. But then again there's been plenty other lame shit going on at these shows over the years because it is the HOF. Like when Dave Grohl sang The Clash at their induction.

Trotskilicious
12-04-2014, 03:31 PM

more specifically she raps like she's from the filthy dirty south and yes the people like me who think she's a gross racist caricature note this every time

slunken
12-04-2014, 04:30 PM
hey guys whats going on

Shallowed
12-04-2014, 04:33 PM
alternative rock

slunken
12-04-2014, 04:43 PM
oh i get it - rock and roll - that's cool

Trotskilicious
12-04-2014, 04:53 PM
it's dead

they don't make bands like the tragically hip anymore

slunken
12-04-2014, 05:02 PM
it's dead

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/yw8_5OYKQNA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Trotskilicious
12-04-2014, 05:23 PM
i love how people think that the fact that lenny kravitz cribs on hendrix is a good thing

fuzzyroes
12-04-2014, 05:24 PM
if you live in some kind of cultural bubble that even "Fancy" couldn't penetrate then...well honestly i'm sort of jealous but that bubble also doesn't allow a lot of good shit to get in either

are you also blissfully unaware of "Blurred Lines" and "Happy"?

I've heard both Blurred Lines and Happy. But I still don't know what the fuck Fancy is.

Maybe it's only big in the States or something.

fuzzyroes
12-04-2014, 05:24 PM
I mean, I'd check it out, but what the fucks the point? I'm not into the current mainstream drivel.

Sonic Johnny
12-04-2014, 05:36 PM
Can you please just reword that to "I don't enjoy or know about pop music" so this thread caan just die already?

fuzzyroes
12-04-2014, 05:41 PM
Thats factually incorrect. I love pop music and know a lot about it.

fuzzyroes
12-04-2014, 05:42 PM
Just cause I don't bother with some of the mainstream dreck that's dulled out to the masses doesn't mean that I'm not a pop fan.

fuzzyroes
12-04-2014, 05:45 PM
The best current pop-star is Katy Perry. Clear as day to see. Great entertainer and singer with fantastic songs

slunken
12-04-2014, 05:49 PM
i love how people think that the fact that lenny kravitz cribs on hendrix is a good thing

i used to hate on this guy solely because of his solo work but the more i read 80s/90s rock bios the more i realize that kravitz had a career as a ghostwriter/performer that was much much much larger than those vanity-project solo albums and videos.

slunken
12-04-2014, 05:51 PM
also the lyrics for "rock and roll is dead" are incredibly poignant

Elphenor
12-04-2014, 06:00 PM
Seriously fuck those automatic playing videos. Why subject everyone to that

Elphenor
12-04-2014, 06:02 PM
Pretty much everything Fuzzy listens to is Pop minus like two groups.

I listen to alternative music guys, Sonic Youth, Pavement, the list goes on....

Trotskilicious
12-04-2014, 06:02 PM
Thats factually incorrect. I love pop music and know a lot about it.

you don't know anything about anything, you prove it to us daily

slunken
12-04-2014, 06:24 PM
Seriously fuck those automatic playing videos. Why subject everyone to that

because this

slunken
12-04-2014, 06:25 PM
and also because rock is dead

slunken
12-04-2014, 06:25 PM
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTYwMFg5NDQ=/z/NG0AAOxyY3ZRwQ~y/$%28KGrHqFHJBMFGv0Urg5DBRwQ+yO6Kg~~60_35.JPG
sex is dead too

Elphenor
12-04-2014, 09:39 PM
This is my favorite Lorde track. I've had it on repeat all day.

Lyrics are about losing your virginity

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/hfjLLTmv9T8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>