View Full Version : DAW geek thread

Poots
11-24-2014, 10:02 AM
I've been using Sonar 8.5 for years but I was wondering what everyone else might use and why they use it. I started using Sonar because the studio I was doing some work for used it and I got to know it. I really have no experience with anything else other than Pro Tools and I don't have the thousands of dollars to invest in all that shit you need to get it up and running.

So, what do you use and why? Pro and cons, etc.

The exploding boy
11-24-2014, 10:25 AM
I didn't shop around much. I use Mixcraft and Garageband. I make my beats with Superior Drummer 2 in Mixcraft on my PC and record on Garageband (i transfer the beats to garageband). Its an old version of Garageband even because my mac is pretty old. I'm not that much of a technical nerd...like gear and software and stuff...it exasperates me. I mean, i leaned how to use DAWs a long time ago because i had to (well i mean no one was gonna do it for me...) but i absolutely hate fiddling with knobs (real or virtual) and the whole..technical aspect of music...how to make this or that sound good and getting into the details of it. I've never used even half the functions probably on any DAW i've used. The least fucking about i have to do before i record, the better.

The exploding boy
11-24-2014, 10:29 AM
The only reason i decided to use Garageband originally (i bought a used mac just for it) is because i liked the built-in effects it had :-x. Since then i've started using Guitar Rig and Amplitube though.

slunken
11-24-2014, 10:35 AM
Audacity for light post-production

Order 66
11-24-2014, 11:02 AM
i use Reaper because it pretty much does what protools does but its free (i bought the commercial version anyway out of goodwill).. dunno if its still free though

Shallowed
11-24-2014, 04:35 PM
I've used Pro Tools before so tried pirating PT10 but haven't had much success with installing it without it crashing upon opening.

Shallowed
11-24-2014, 04:36 PM
Otherwise Audacity is my go-to, though I'd like to be able to use PT and do all the same functions but way more streamlined and quicker.

butthurt
11-24-2014, 04:41 PM
i use Reaper because it pretty much does what protools does but its free (i bought the commercial version anyway out of goodwill).. dunno if its still free though

^

Lucky Day Spa
11-24-2014, 04:44 PM
logic pro x

i've been using logic since university so it's more or less the default choice for me. x is easily the best version ever – the learning curve is probably a little steep for newcomers, but it's incredibly powerful. also relatively cheap these days

slunken
11-24-2014, 05:19 PM
i make all my mixtapes in garageband

Sonic Johnny
11-24-2014, 06:29 PM
http://i.imgur.com/eFe5DEv.png

say what you like about the sound engine, the workflow is furious.

Mals Marola
11-24-2014, 09:54 PM
what part of marvin's room are you sampling lol

i love live but what would someone say about the sound engine? only problems i've had in that regard were an issue with my own drivers and/or computer compatibility

i really like logic x but as a pc user i can only dream of using it in the comfort of my own home & studio area :( favorite thing about it was the seamless recording/multi-take stuff and i 'onno, just seamlessness of it all in general

then again live and a coupla other programs i use could probably handle that particular kinda shit anyway so i guess it doesn't really matter

Sonic Johnny
11-24-2014, 10:09 PM
It's an acapella cover off youtube, just a quick slice and sample but not sure it's gonna make the cut. I sample drake fucking constantly though.

There are some complaints about the onboard sound engine in that when it's rendering out larger sessions (like if it's rendering stems for each track individually headed to mixdown) that there's a little bit of digital compression under a larger workload. I like it because it interfaces well with Native Instruments software/hardware and that I can produce and DJ in the same DAW.

Mals Marola
11-25-2014, 12:37 AM
It's an acapella cover off youtube, just a quick slice and sample but not sure it's gonna make the cut. I sample drake fucking constantly though.

There are some complaints about the onboard sound engine in that when it's rendering out larger sessions (like if it's rendering stems for each track individually headed to mixdown) that there's a little bit of digital compression under a larger workload. I like it because it interfaces well with Native Instruments software/hardware and that I can produce and DJ in the same DAW.

40's the fuckin man

in all honesty i've used live more for (imagine it) live perfomances lately so i haven't actually had too huge of a saveout or anything for studio tracks, etc. but it definitely had a few problems with the focusrite i was tryin to use with it a while back

a coupla quirky troubleshooting-type actions cleared that up pretty crazily easily though, actually. like literally leaving the laptop's power adaptor out while starting the program than plugging it in afterward, that was the fix

amazing program though, just figured out a feature or two with it and one of my midi-controllers that's practically changed my life lol

Poots
11-25-2014, 11:39 AM
I've never met another human who uses Sonar. That is what makes me think I'm using the wrong DAW. Not that there is much of a difference in all of them, I'm sure, but I need to be reassured that I'm not using the retard of DAWs. Which I think I am.

I wonder what Billy uses?

The exploding boy
11-25-2014, 12:01 PM
Look for reassurance no more, i looked at that list a few months ago, yours is number 8. this was a reader poll:

http://www.musicradar.com/tuition/tech/the-19-best-daw-software-apps-in-the-world-today-238905/13

I used to use Cakewalk's daw back in 2000. I think i used it up until like 2005 when it was by then very outdated. I can't remember what they called their daw then. I think just Cakewalk pro?

My DAWs rank 17 (GB) and 10 (Mixcraft) respectively on that list. So clearly i'm the retard. I mean both my daws are listed as being known for their user friendliness...basically..for beginners. But whatever, as with everything gear (DAWS are kinda like gear to me) there's a lot of elitism involved with those things. "My daw can do this and that"..yeah..is it making a difference? Are you using all its super features? And more importantly... is it making your music better?

soniclovenoize
11-25-2014, 01:06 PM
Sonar, mixed with analog 4-track.

ButtHash
11-25-2014, 05:19 PM
I use Reaper because it's free and awesome.

Plus it's just how I learned, with programs like Acid Pro haha. I still draw in my drums and samples on the grid with lots of copy and pasting, which is probably so needlessly time-consuming.

Sonic Johnny
11-25-2014, 06:24 PM
I do a fair bit of that for the main components of my drums (kick + snare + claps) and then do my hats/perc/etc with midi cause I tend to use arpeggiators. I really feel like it's beneficial to putting a groove together to be able to see the hits. Plus Ableton makes it really easy to do stuff like pitch shifting and velocity adjustment natively so you lose very little functionality.

ButtHash
11-25-2014, 06:57 PM
Yeah, I get really anal about having my drums hit at the exact right moment with a sample or whatever I'm working with. I never thought about arpeggiators for hats. Sometimes I'll do synced delay. REAPER is definitely not as midi-friendly as Abelton, I don't think.