View Full Version : MTAE Album Preview

thedeadofnight
11-08-2014, 07:19 AM
http://www58.zippyshare.com/v/11576587/file.html

Some promising stuff here I think...

juliana
11-08-2014, 07:20 AM
I looooove Anaise!

the rest of the album sounds a lot better!

Ol' Couch Ass
11-08-2014, 07:34 AM
Run2Me :erm:

thedeadofnight
11-08-2014, 08:01 AM
Yeah thankfully there seems to be some diversity here! Run2Me sounds great!

dreams of glass
11-08-2014, 08:12 AM
Where is this coming from?

Greatvegetable
11-08-2014, 08:17 AM
To the sound of one clapping hand.

Funbags
11-08-2014, 08:39 AM
Cash rewards!

amoergosum
11-08-2014, 09:17 AM
Run2me and Being Beige shouldn't be on the album.
Well, I'm looking forward listening to the other tracks.

Araneae
11-08-2014, 09:39 AM
Not that short samples are a great indication of a song, but I can see how this relates to TBK, in the sense that the album sounds like a continuation of what he started to do musically with Oceania.

chotchkiss
11-08-2014, 09:43 AM
I agree there seems to be variety and some promising songs.

There are some new sounds in there too, which I'm happy about. I'm hoping MTAE comes across as Billy and Jeff exploring different textures and sounds and packing lots of movement into those short songs (like Happiness is a Warm Gun does).

Billy and Jeff seem to show craftsmanship in their music (e.g. stylized, dueling guitar solos on A Song for a Son or the well executed theremin solo on Quasar that Jeff did, or the more crafty guitar solos Billy does in United States). I could see them getting in the studio together and pushing themselves in these areas and making a great record.

From the preview it seems like this could sorta come true, with a moderating voice grounded in the music industry from Howard, which I'm wary of.

Anaise! has the word "lovers" in it for those that like to keep track.

Greatvegetable
11-08-2014, 09:47 AM
Don't go overboard; it's a 33 minute album with no guitar solos and a producer whose only interest is radio - and so has sucked the creativity out of the process.

Mals Marola
11-08-2014, 10:02 AM
Yeah thankfully there seems to be some diversity here!

yeah i felt this was gonna be the case when one & all followed being beige, felt like the difference between those two tracks was gonna be indicative of the album as a whole, all other things considered as well

these do sound really great though, it kind of seems like.= being beige & i guess run2me plus maybe a couple of others are sort of modern-day 33-type songs that billy kinda pumped rock steroids into w howard or whatever, moreso b.b. but still

a lot of this does sound great to me though, first pumpkins album post-reunion that actually deserves the "yes man" hype? sounds like it might be

Mals Marola
11-08-2014, 10:05 AM
people are still kinda bitchin bout bill vox in the one & all thread but those sound notably better to me on here as well

thanx for the samps don

Ram27
11-08-2014, 10:06 AM
is this a lemonparty link?

Mals Marola
11-08-2014, 10:07 AM
it's an admirably-crafted fake

kudo!

Ram27
11-08-2014, 10:12 AM
Tiberius is Space Jam

BB is shit but sounds nice in that sample

Anaise has nice atmosphere. and a 'lovers'

One and All is nice too

Run2Me is interesting.

D+F is disappointing

Monuments is bad

Dorian has weird mixing

Anit-Hero is okay

Album is the best since Machina II, but it gets worse as it progresses

Or maybe the latter songs don't sound as good in 30 second samples

Ram27
11-08-2014, 10:19 AM
Seriously stop stealing riffs from 1996 Billy

Stop living in the pass

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpXf09ZJAAI&t=12m6s

Is that Space Jam? You know what I mean.

Elphenor
11-08-2014, 10:34 AM
Run2Me and the track following both sound the best to me honestly

Mals Marola
11-08-2014, 10:35 AM
man give the guy a break already i mean i'm all for criticizing artists and whatnot but pointing out some random silverfuck jam that he did as a means to reprimanding the guy is a bit much isn't it?

by this point i can't believe people are really trying to draw direct lines with sp1 & whatnot in 2014, after a 7 year break-off/break-up that ended (sort of) 7 years ago, like damn maybe start by hoping he trumps oceania first, huh?

Elphenor
11-08-2014, 10:37 AM
Oh and Anaise

T&T
11-08-2014, 10:40 AM
not bad.

pavementtune
11-08-2014, 10:54 AM
BB is shit but sounds nice in that sample

Anaise has nice atmosphere. and a 'lovers'

One and All is nice too

Run2Me is interesting

D+F is disappointing

Monuments is bad

Dorian has weird mixing

Anit-Hero is okay

Album is the best since Machina II, but it gets worse as it progresses

Or maybe the latter songs don't sound as good in 30 second samples

how so? Honestly I'm curious what it is that makes people say that.

And do the "best since Machina II" sayers in<a>clude Zwan and TFE?

Otherwise it means what? That Zeitgeist and Oceania had fewer good songs on it than MTAE, or that the worst MTAE song is better than the worst Zeitgeist song?

pavementtune
11-08-2014, 10:57 AM
Anaise could have been the single release, I'd like to hear Howard's reasoning why it wasn't and they chose Being Beige over it.

Ram27
11-08-2014, 11:18 AM
man give the guy a break already i mean i'm all for criticizing artists and whatnot but pointing out some random silverfuck jam that he did as a means to reprimanding the guy is a bit much isn't it?

I just think it's cheap as hell and fairly hypocritical that he stole 2+ riffs straight from the MCIS era for this new album, given how much he criticizes people for liking old stuff and wanting him to sound like SD again.

And do the "best since Machina II" sayers in<a>clude Zwan and TFE?

Otherwise it means what? That Zeitgeist and Oceania had fewer good songs on it than MTAE, or that the worst MTAE song is better than the worst Zeitgeist song?

No

The first one, at least for me

Mals Marola
11-08-2014, 11:24 AM
I just think it's cheap as hell and fairly hypocritical that he stole 2+ riffs straight from the MCIS era for this new album, given how much he criticizes people for liking old stuff and wanting him to sound like SD again.

i don't know he's seemed to have found a way, at least for himself or whatev, to kinda bring back that kind of sound/style and re-contextualize for a modern release or whatever, that was sort of his open admission around the oceania era right?

in any case after going back on the "i thought we'd just put it away and call it a day before it all got lame" thing i guess i don't put that much stock on whether or not he's being hypocritical or not by this point, seems like a neccesary evil or something like that. practically inevitable

T&T
11-08-2014, 11:27 AM
I keep hearing you guys say that the riffs are the same, but they really aren't.
they're similar, but the rhythms aren't the same and the notes aren't exactly the same either.

Tiberius is C - D - C - Eb - C - D - C - Eb - C - D - C - Eb - C - D - C - Eb
space jam is D! C - D - C - D - C - D - C - D
The added accent at the beginning of the space jam riff is completely missing from Tiberius and is what makes space jam riff really cool.

riffs are similar, but not the same.
and they're not original enough to really warrant 'copying the past'. it's a pretty basic pattern at hand here.

GLOWer
11-08-2014, 11:43 AM
tiberius and anais! sound great, but the latter reuses a hook from being beige which is weird given their placement right next to each other. overall i'm intrigued. some of these 30 second samples sound more immediately engaging than either single...

i think i'll like this one.

GLOWer
11-08-2014, 11:44 AM
is that a siamese type phasing effect on billy's voice in tiberius? he sounds awesome.

freshfacedyouth
11-08-2014, 01:29 PM
i'm tempted to listen now but i want it all to be a surprise when i listen in a month

seriously, where are these samples coming from? does this not qualify as a leak? that looks like the soundcloud player in the link, is that what it is?

T&T
11-08-2014, 01:31 PM
it sounds like 30 second amazon/itunes clips spliced into one track.

panda show
11-08-2014, 03:04 PM
what's the track listing?

T&T
11-08-2014, 03:06 PM
what's the track listing?

Tiberius
Being Beige
Anaise
One and All
Run2Me
D+F
Monuments
Dorian
Anit-Hero

smashingschnauz
11-08-2014, 03:25 PM
First song (no clue what name it is) sounds as close to Ozzy as it gets. After listening to this.... I think it moved a little.

killtrocity
11-08-2014, 05:43 PM
So this is basically a bunch of MCIS era discards? Bc that would be amazing

Order 66
11-08-2014, 05:52 PM
sounds cool i guess. not enough to go on

seems like this is the album zeitgeist was supposed to be

spguitar0
11-08-2014, 06:03 PM
Tiberius = If Mastodon and Sabbath did it and laid an egg with a gigantor pecker.

Kahlo
11-08-2014, 07:18 PM
really looking forward to this EP!

TuralyonW3
11-08-2014, 08:43 PM
those run2me vocals are terrible

Forgotten Child
11-08-2014, 09:34 PM
I actually loved Drum + Five! It sounds like something off Jimmy solo album.

slunken
11-08-2014, 10:52 PM
whens the machina reissue out

Rider
11-08-2014, 11:07 PM
I keep hearing you guys say that the riffs are the same, but they really aren't.
they're similar, but the rhythms aren't the same and the notes aren't exactly the same either.

Tiberius is C - D - C - Eb - C - D - C - Eb - C - D - C - Eb - C - D - C - Eb
space jam is D! C - D - C - D - C - D - C - D
The added accent at the beginning of the space jam riff is completely missing from Tiberius and is what makes space jam riff really cool.

riffs are similar, but not the same.
and they're not original enough to really warrant 'copying the past'. it's a pretty basic pattern at hand here.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/a-1_9-z9rbY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

bye june
11-08-2014, 11:09 PM
after the announcement's announcement

AveryLoren
11-09-2014, 12:22 AM
Why does Billy keep Howard around? It's like they have taken thin, high pitch recordings and pushed them till they clipped. It all just sounds so lifeless and hollow.

dreams of glass
11-09-2014, 12:30 AM
I think this will be better than Oceania

fuzzyroes
11-09-2014, 05:44 AM
That actually sounds promising. It rocks in a way that SP hasn't in too long. I also hear kind of a Cure like vibe in a lot of the tracks.

Shallowed
11-09-2014, 07:03 AM
Tiberius - Quite an interesting feel to this one. It's rather progressive, almost like he's imitating Tool. And I like that "dun, dun dun-duuuuuun" bit, it's really grandiose sounding. The odd rhythm of the song, as the first song on the album, coincidentally reflects the first two songs from Oceania.

Being Beige - I really don't like that drum machine, but I can see myself warming to this track within the context of the whole album. And if not, at least it's the second song so it's out of the way early.

Anaise - I love the chuggy sound of that bass guitar! And Billy's cooing in this song is something that's been missing from SP for a LONG time.

One and All - already commented on this song in its own thread, in case anyone cares to see. mostly +++ about this song. I really love the riff, and how the slightly dissonant chords and the guitar tone complement each other.

Run2Me - :erm:

Drum and Fife - This reminds me a lot of the sound that The Brian Jonestown Massacre have been doing recently, mainly because of the flute. It's pretty cool.

Monuments - Everything plays off of each other really nicely here, especially the drums and that little synth ditty in the right channel.

Dorian - This one sounds a little more sparse than the other tracks, which is a nice change of pace.

Anti-Hero - I'm not a fan of the chug-chug-chug guitar riff, this one sounds too modern radio rock for me, and possibly not a very good finish to the album.

Overall I'm feeling positive about the album and definitely can't wait for it to come out now to hear it in full.

Shallowed
11-09-2014, 07:06 AM
Also fuck guitar solos and fuck anyone that can't handle listening to an album without a guitar solo.

fuzzyroes
11-09-2014, 07:12 AM
I gotta say, the more I listen to this preview, the more excited I get. I get the feeling that this albums the real deal this time around. The chemistry that Billy and Tommy have sounds fucking sweet. Such a welcome breath of fresh air.

I don't think Corgan was fucking around this time, and from what I can hear so far it shows. I'm actually excited in a way that I haven't been since the release of Zeitgeist.

fuzzyroes
11-09-2014, 07:20 AM
Corgans vocal melodies sound a lot more interesting than they have during the rest of TBK and Oach. Bill sounds pretty inspired from what I can hear from the clips.

Elijah Moon
11-09-2014, 07:28 AM
'Zeitgeist' was the most unintentionally ironic album title ever, as I'm sure others have pointed out.

Elijah Moon
11-09-2014, 09:20 AM
Well, I've been away from the land of the Pumpkins for years.

Elijah Moon
11-09-2014, 09:30 AM
"as I'm sure others have pointed out..."

Anyway, I lost interest longer than seven years ago. I wouldn't call myself a fan these days, except for the albums released with the original incarnation.

Elijah Moon
11-09-2014, 10:13 AM
Oh, don't I? How very kind of you to tell me that.

But yes, all I've done for seven years is devote myself to finding something biting to say about that album.

Mals Marola
11-09-2014, 01:22 PM
oceania... hey, that was an isis title!

Rumpkin
11-09-2014, 01:25 PM
doesn't sound too bad actually, intrigued to hear the full album.

Mals Marola
11-09-2014, 01:32 PM
speaking of contemporary things, get a load of this hostility on the internet

dustrock
11-09-2014, 02:03 PM
So this kinda sounds like Billy doing Muse. And I'm okay with that.

even from these clips, you can tell it's some of his best singing in years.

Actually more excited now than I have any right to be, and I think Tommy sounds great.

s0ss
11-09-2014, 02:16 PM
There's the circus piano we were missing. Thanks Bill2Corgan.

amoergosum
11-09-2014, 02:18 PM
Meanwhile...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/52T8RPnIKS0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

andrewface
11-09-2014, 02:30 PM
tiberius sounds cool but the space jam riff sounds better

themadcaplaughs
11-09-2014, 02:35 PM
I am definitely more excited about these samples then the ones that came out before Oceania.

thedeadofnight
11-09-2014, 02:43 PM
Billy's vocals in Tiberius are his best produced in years

andrewface
11-09-2014, 03:07 PM
just listened to the new foo fighters album in it's entirety and the SP clips actually sound like Billy's album will be better.

Elijah Moon
11-09-2014, 05:21 PM
Well, I did say sorry for maybe coming across as angry, but then I got into an argument with someone else and some of mine and his posts were deleted.

Ram27
11-09-2014, 06:29 PM
Boy I love when threads devolve into bullshit arguments

Elijah Moon
11-09-2014, 06:33 PM
Then you've come to the right place!

No, I tend to avoid conflict, but I somehow got sucked into a pointless argument earlier. Oh well.

Shallowed
11-09-2014, 07:00 PM
Can we ban mickyshambles? He never posts anything that isn't inciting.

jczeroman
11-09-2014, 07:12 PM
I'm always generally happy to hear new sp music, however, very little released after Adore has actually been memorable and worth listening to more than a few months after the fact - and for me, this plays a key role in the evaluation of new music.

Virtually nothing on Zeitgeist was worth listening to later. Oceania possibly. I don't know about the new stuff. Much of it sounds pretty good - we'll see how it sticks.

Stinstrom3
11-09-2014, 09:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vdfQpYllkY

Theres much better quality of all the song previews

Ram27
11-09-2014, 09:45 PM
Both singles are really growing on me. I'm pleasantly surprised

I just can't take the 'band' seriously as a band is the only thing. there's so much overthinking going on behind the songs it kinda kills the vibe, eh

s0ss
11-09-2014, 10:52 PM
When's this shit gonna leak.

Sonic Johnny
11-09-2014, 11:19 PM
This just all sounds fucking awful. All of it. Just a huge wet shit. Ugh.

null123
11-09-2014, 11:34 PM
I am open to this album

Bread Regal
11-10-2014, 12:25 AM
I am open to this album
me too. it will undoubtedly have some stinkers, but i generally like the sound.

and really who gives a shit if he's using old riffs? i think part of being an artist is retreading old ground because, that's like, who you are, man. as much as billy says he wants to write music as if the 90s never happened, he can't escape the fact that he's a two-decades-older version of the guy who made siamese dream. and we're all two-decades-older versions of the people who listened to siamese dream ad nauseum.

Shallowed
11-10-2014, 12:34 AM
Are we? Some of us are only two decades old.

Bread Regal
11-10-2014, 12:54 AM
my point still stands.

lionheart0
11-10-2014, 01:44 AM
Listened to the higher quality clips with some headphones on. Sounds great.

Bread Regal
11-10-2014, 01:53 AM
Meanwhile...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/52T8RPnIKS0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
i uh....

Bread Regal
11-10-2014, 01:53 AM
what

herzogxyu
11-10-2014, 02:08 AM
me too. it will undoubtedly have some stinkers, but i generally like the sound.

and really who gives a shit if he's using old riffs? i think part of being an artist is retreading old ground because, that's like, who you are, man. as much as billy says he wants to write music as if the 90s never happened, he can't escape the fact that he's a two-decades-older version of the guy who made siamese dream. and we're all two-decades-older versions of the people who listened to siamese dream ad nauseum.

I'm not really sure where all of this comes from. Siamese Dream is a pretty good record. Not really any stinkers, and some good to great playing on it, but for it to be the be all end all defining record doesn't make sense to me. There's not many great lyrics there and truthfully, riff wise, MCIS and Machina killed it more guitar wise. I guess Siamese was manufactured to be a perfect album, (with all the splicing and editing they did). But still. It's their second record. In my opinion not their best.
I've always said on this message board since 97 or 98 that I've never understood why Billy never went further with Matt and kept capturing that true pumpkins sound of 96-98. That awesome cyber metal. The ransom soundtrack. Parts of the Silverfuck jam that are now being sussed out as full songs.

My point is I guess that Siamese Dream shouldn't be the yardstick everyone seems to measure BC's songwriting by. That said: the new songs are leaps and bounds above anything, anything post Jimmy. Yet still they feel like Diet Smashing Pumpkins. They feel like Zwan with less layers and harmonies. I find it strange that he's chosen to record this way. and it's obvious. It's just them using a drum machine to write the songs and have someone come and play on them. (which worked for adore, but not for songs that are supposed to be guitars guitars guitars.)

and what no one has really said about all the songs being the short length they are is that every song has the same structure and breakdowns. no solos. etc.

i feel like somewhat of an arm chair quarterback because I literally tapped out in 09 with the free downloads and the mcdonald's drummer and TBK. Mostly because it was so awful. I bought OACH on itunes when it came out but to this day I've never gotten through a full song and that live DVD was the most boring show I've ever seen.

Yet, I didn't have the hate you all did for being blah, and am a little optimistic for these records or tours. just a little. still, why not get matt back? seriously. enough already. burnt orange black was very very repetitive but still good. and seriously, how many disco beats or synth lines did gish have?

amoergosum
11-10-2014, 02:10 AM
It's Tommy Lee's crucifly...Billy wants one, too.

herzogxyu
11-10-2014, 02:20 AM
Meanwhile...

soooo that happened....in the middle of a motley crue show tommy lee plays along to a pre-recorded track on a very slow roller coaster type track and acts like a rapper and yells out to the crowd as such?

hmmm....good thing they broke up.

tommy lee is the kmart dave grohl.

null123
11-10-2014, 02:25 AM
Just occurred to me I've never heard the Ransom soundtrack. This is so good wtf

paranoid
11-10-2014, 03:08 AM
Yuck. I think I'd rather listen to teargarden.

Araneae
11-10-2014, 04:22 AM
and what no one has really said about all the songs being the short length they are is that every song has the same structure and breakdowns. no solos. etc.

It is really difficult to tell the structure of the songs from such short clips, though the way it was spliced did seem to make it difficult at times to tell when one started and the other began. I enjoy music with or without guitar solos, so it's not a big deal to me, but I do find it strange that they were so adamant in restricting themselves from using them. If the song calls for it, then add it.

great poster
11-10-2014, 07:08 AM
I really like Tiberius and One and All, but I dunno about the rest of it. I'm sure they'll sound better to me once I'm able to hear the album in full. Fuck Run2Me though.

ninsp
11-10-2014, 11:10 AM
Yuck. I think I'd rather listen to teargarden.

oh shut the fuck up

Run2Me sounds like shit but the rest sound pretty good. I really like Tiberius, Anaise, One and All, Monuments and Anti-Hero (exception of O&A all the snippets of course.)

Interestingly enough, you can tell one of the guys behind the production of Adore is behind it judging the electronics. But the guitar tone sounds great, the music sounds surprisingly edgier than anything we have had so far. Also his vocals in the snippets sound good.

Slurpee
11-10-2014, 01:28 PM
These sound fine, but every single one also sounds like an attempt to get on the radio.

Order 66
11-10-2014, 01:32 PM
well... the verdict is out

i think we can all agree MTAE is a failed album

ninsp
11-10-2014, 01:40 PM
well... the verdict is out

i think we can all agree MTAE is a failed album

Oh yes, those 30 second samples tell so much about an album. I remember when .mu thought Survival would be the best goddamn Muse song since Citizen Erased after a 30 second clip.

T&T
11-10-2014, 02:38 PM
can we just start the thread discussing D4N?

Kahlo
11-10-2014, 03:10 PM
Change the fucking record Micky.

Elijah Moon
11-10-2014, 03:54 PM
no - you don't. you're entirely welcome.

i'm sure it's possible to come up with a novel quip in just a few days without devoting every minute to the cause. not sure why you had to go a little overboard there, bro. you tired or something?

Thing is, I didn't devote any time to a "novel quip", it just occurred to me. I bet you don't analyze and try to goad people like this in "real life."

It's partly the culture of this board and other boards, where some dick will pounce on you for the tiniest perceived transgression.

And am I tired? Yeah, tired of plankton like you. ZING!

reprise85
11-10-2014, 04:20 PM
stop feeding the troll.

s0ss
11-10-2014, 04:29 PM
stop feeding the troll.

Ya. Billy is fat enough as it is.

pumpkinfan1988
11-10-2014, 05:08 PM
Honestly the best song I heard was One and ALL. I would fire Howard and hire Butch Vig or Flood, Howard blows no concept of what is rock and what isn't IMO. Billy needs a guy that doesn't give a fuck about mainstream or appealing to the masses and just wants to make a banging rock album like they used too. The mindset is in the wrong place as I listen to this album, theres no positive no flow. Go back to the roots, go back to what gave you success in the first place, don't try and reinvent the wheel. One and All had triple the hits on YouTube as Being Beige, its clear those are the songs people want to here, not something foreign.

Kahlo
11-11-2014, 06:11 AM
Oh well just added Micky to my ignore list, should have done that a long time ago.

http://forums.netphoria.org/profile.php?do=addlist&userlist=ignore&u=11729

davin
11-11-2014, 07:18 AM
Not that short samples are a great indication of a song, but I can see how this relates to TBK, in the sense that the album sounds like a continuation of what he started to do musically with Oceania.

just kill yourself and get it over with.

fuzzyroes
11-11-2014, 08:22 AM
I find it absurd that this albums even being mentioned as part of Teargarden. We all know Corgans fucking stubborn, but he's even surpassed by expectations with this shit.

He releases a new album traditionally every few years with no connecting story line and he tries to sell it as some grandiose project. Classic Corgan indeed.

ninsp
11-11-2014, 12:37 PM
just kill yourself and get it over with.

such edge