View Full Version : Successful band/artist you hate most RIGHT NOW

The exploding boy
11-03-2014, 01:55 PM
At least mildly successful. Like touring at least mid-sized venues successful.

Just one pick if possible. The one most deserving of your hatred. Make it personal. Go.

Wait lets add a rule..you can't say Nickelback. Its too obvious and boring and actually impersonal an answer. I don't have a pick right now but i'll think about it. Well i mean i would have several but to determine THE one...

NEGATIVITY IS GOOD

Elijah Moon
11-03-2014, 01:59 PM
Um, Coldplay?

edit - then again, I don't actively hate them, they just annoy me.

Elijah Moon
11-03-2014, 02:25 PM
They're normally off my radar, to be honest. I did like the song 'Trouble' when it came out, but that's about it. They're mundane at the least.

The exploding boy
11-03-2014, 02:32 PM
i already had forgot id made this thread. Coldplay is bad bland and boring but because of that i dont hate them as much as other bands.

pale blue eyes
11-03-2014, 04:02 PM
RHCP, no contest. Every time I hear Anthony Kiedis' lispy psuedo rapping nonsense, I want to punch somebody. I feel bad for Flea, somebody needs to liberate him from what this band has become. I'll admit, their early albums are decent but holy shit they are so terrible now. SO SO BAD. Quality drop off is just ridiculous.

Elphenor
11-03-2014, 04:46 PM
Foo Fighters I guess

Like how many bands are actually popular right now?

Elphenor
11-03-2014, 04:50 PM
I really hate that "It's all about the Bass" song because it's really misogynistic yet it's supposed to have a good message

I really really dislike Adele and I hear that shit everywhere. Most grating vocals ever.

The exploding boy
11-03-2014, 04:50 PM
Well i defined what i meant by successful. That's a lot of them. I just didnt want people to start naming really obscure local bands or some shit...

Elphenor
11-03-2014, 04:53 PM
Kings of Leon are really really shit

The exploding boy
11-03-2014, 04:57 PM
I really hate that "It's all about the Bass" song because it's really misogynistic yet it's supposed to have a good message

It's a fucking awful terrible song and i hope she dies for having written it some time in the near future.

Like i really hate Lorde but compared to this you know Lorde is like high art....

It's like a novelty song though, like that Robin Thicke song. In a year nobody's gonna care about her.

Elphenor
11-03-2014, 04:59 PM
Lorde is alright

Elphenor
11-03-2014, 05:00 PM
I don't even remember the Robin Thicke song so I guess you're right about that

Sonic Johnny
11-03-2014, 05:10 PM
Hating art you don't enjoy is a waste of your psychic energy. Any effort you invest in hating a specific artist publically is a transparent exercise in engendering yourself to a cultural identity. This is going to back to the patches-on-a-jacket thing. It's not about them, it's about you. Sacrifice your ego to the void.

The exploding boy
11-03-2014, 05:11 PM
You're probably right.

But hatred is all that keeps me going anymore!

The exploding boy
11-03-2014, 05:12 PM
I'm more machine than man now, twisted and evil.

Well except i'm still all organic.

Elphenor
11-03-2014, 05:18 PM
I think it totally makes sense to hate some of the artists you don't enjoy. I am subjected to Adele in every public place I go and it really sucks.

Most of the time it's like who cares I just don't listen to the things I don't like but when it comes to popular groups you are going to be subjected that shit whether you like it or not

Sonic Johnny
11-03-2014, 05:21 PM
Yeah but externalising that changes nothing except that you now have a little imaginary badge under your name that says "kind of person who hates adele" and it helps shape your residual self-image in the eyes of others.

Sonic Johnny
11-03-2014, 05:22 PM
It doesn't make adele less annoying or more tolerable to you, it just helps you feed an idea of yourself that exists in your head.

Elphenor
11-03-2014, 05:22 PM
And again music is a personal thing and the reasons people like certain artists often has more to do with philosophies and attitudes than with just how they arrange notes. I might like the sound of a song, but if the people playing it are wearing billed hats and the lyrics are misogynistic I'm going to hate that band

I see nothing wrong with affiliating with a cultural identity

Sonic Johnny
11-03-2014, 05:25 PM
It's not affiliation, it's the erection of facade in place of self reflection and consideration. I'm not saying you're not supposed to dislike things. I'm saying it's a futile exercise to externalise that hatred because ultimately it serves nobody in any capacity. It's just posturing. It's hollow.

Elphenor
11-03-2014, 05:25 PM
Yeah but externalising that changes nothing except that you now have a little imaginary badge under your name that says "kind of person who hates adele" and it helps shape your residual self-image in the eyes of others.

This could be said of any opinion on anything though right?

The exploding boy
11-03-2014, 05:29 PM

Identity is important!

Sonic Johnny
11-03-2014, 05:29 PM
No. Discourse on governance is crucial to the development and maintenance of a society. The exchange of ideas is a worthwhile endeavour in that it's how we educate and challenge each other. But ultimately art will exist either way and you can choose to interface with the art that you like and avoid the art you don't but telling people what art you don't like serves no purpose because others will ultimately find their own things they enjoy and interface with those regardless of how you feel about them

Edit: @elphenor

Elphenor
11-03-2014, 05:33 PM
I enjoy hearing others opinions even on meaningless things though but I mean you're right that it IS meaningless.

But I've had entire conversations with people consisting of "What do you think about X artist" and you learn a lot about people that way. It's like a secret short hand language among those that are into music

Mals Marola
11-03-2014, 05:34 PM
there's also the kind of stigma of feeling like you're bound to hatred of said thing after publicly announcing it

or have to "hate" said thing even more. that's usually what keeps me from declaring hate on any (for the most part) subject/artist/band these days at least

The exploding boy
11-03-2014, 05:36 PM
It is futile to externalise hatred but sometimes i just want my dissenting opinion to be heard. It's like i want it to be counted.

Obviously when you say fuck nickelback, its like you and million others so whatever... but i don't know there's been times where like... well i know my dissenting opinion is never gonna change shit and probably make me sound like a angry dick but i just want to have my say. It seems to matter to me for some reason. Sometimes i just want to say NO THIS SUCKS MAN!. Though i try to at least articulate why i don't like something. Generally ill only reserve my hatred for things that go against my...i dont have a better term so i'm gonna say... "values"... that's why for example i don't HATE Coldplay. Cause they're inoffensive

Elphenor
11-03-2014, 05:37 PM
I'm someone who's interested in why people hate something. If someone is like "I hate Gang of Four" I want to know why they hate Gang of Four. Trots why do you hate Gang of Four?

Mals Marola
11-03-2014, 05:37 PM
yeah i mean all that being said i'm pretty sure i've said somethin about hatred re: imagine dragons before, and recently, so it's not some all-time damning rule or anything

Mals Marola
11-03-2014, 05:38 PM
I'm someone who's interested in why people hate something. If someone is like "I hate Gang of Four" I want to know why they hate Gang of Four. Trots why do you hate Gang of Four?

nobody hates gang of four that's why people get stingy when you randomly bring them up

Elphenor
11-03-2014, 05:40 PM
I do feel defined by my musical tastes because it's such a personal thing. I like a band because I hear a piece of me in that band expressed in a way that I can't do myself and it's liberating.

But I hear that's something you grow out of. Eventually your music tastes no longer define you and it becomes the same as movies and TV shows and who cares about anything

Elphenor
11-03-2014, 05:45 PM
nobody hates gang of four that's why people get stingy when you randomly bring them up

No Trots actually said he hates them

I think he called them "shitty Wire" because Wire is the only post-punk band he seems to like idk

Trotskilicious
11-03-2014, 08:38 PM
Hating art you don't enjoy is a waste of your psychic energy. Any effort you invest in hating a specific artist publically is a transparent exercise in engendering yourself to a cultural identity. This is going to back to the patches-on-a-jacket thing. It's not about them, it's about you. Sacrifice your ego to the void.

hey SJ what do you think of U2?

Trotskilicious
11-03-2014, 08:39 PM
i hate kobe the most