View Full Version : what artists do you associate with boarders

Trotskilicious
10-31-2014, 06:58 PM
Elph - gang of four, the fall, being genre limited
Sonic johnny - isis, flying lotus, sunn o))
Slunken - the kills, dirty beaches, sun araw
Mayfuck - xiu xiu, yo la tengo
Fuzzyroses - bloodhound gang, nofx, everything that ever sucked about the 90s

Trotskilicious
10-31-2014, 06:59 PM
Poots - tool, aphex twin

null123
10-31-2014, 07:09 PM
Trotskilicious
vixnix
pavementtune
slunken
Sonic Johnny
Elphenor
D.
Eulogy
Lucky Day Spa
Charmbag
Bread Regal
scottytheoneand
The Omega Concern
Catherine Wheel
reprise85
Order 66
The exploding boy
fuzzyroes
yo soy el mejor
noyen
smashingjj
Dogfighter28
Cool As Ice Cream

fuzzyroes
10-31-2014, 07:09 PM
Trots- Robyn, Anything from Jack White, Swans

fuzzyroes
10-31-2014, 07:10 PM
Scottytheoneandonly: Morrisey, The Smiths, Teargarden By Kalaidescope

fuzzyroes
10-31-2014, 07:11 PM
Reprise: Franz Ferdinald LOL

Trotskilicious
10-31-2014, 07:13 PM
When the fuck have i posted about jack white

Trotskilicious
10-31-2014, 07:15 PM
Idgaf about raconteurs or dead weather or his solo tip

fuzzyroes
10-31-2014, 07:17 PM
I was super bored one night and was reading thru some archives and you were professing your love for Jack White. I got a huge laugh outta it.

toase
10-31-2014, 07:25 PM
Hmm this is going to be fun

Trotskilicious
10-31-2014, 07:32 PM
I was super bored one night and was reading thru some archives and you were professing your love for Jack White. I got a huge laugh outta it.

What? You laugh at that? What the fuck. I hope you get cancer.

The exploding boy
10-31-2014, 07:37 PM
still waiting.

Ill do trots: dum dum girls, cohen, smiths, swans, sleater kinney

The exploding boy
i know theres a lot more but off the top..

The exploding boy
oh fuzzy lready tried but failed

The exploding boy
10-31-2014, 07:39 PM
fuzzy- any 90's grunge and bro rock ever.

catherine wheel - the killers, coldplay, interpol, the cure, catherine wheel (duh)

fuzzyroes
10-31-2014, 07:42 PM
What? You laugh at that? What the fuck. I hope you get cancer.

Jack Whites a douchebag man. He's the ultimate kind of bro musician

null123
10-31-2014, 07:43 PM
can we mute fuzzy for a sec

fuzzyroes
10-31-2014, 07:43 PM
Any of those bands whos claim to fame was the retro-revival are shit. Strokes suck, White Stripse Suck, Franz Ferdinand sucks, Jet sucks

Trotskilicious
10-31-2014, 07:46 PM
can we mute fuzzy for a sec

If i had the power. He needs to find a community where he fits in. Im fucking Sick of it

The exploding boy
10-31-2014, 07:46 PM
strokes was good for a record. After that, i'd agree. I blame it on already beign from rich families. It was like ok we proved we could do something worthwhile with our lives..now we've lost the motivation to do it again cause we dont' need to.

toase
10-31-2014, 07:47 PM
I think people should start writing long ass texts, I have plenty of time to read

fuzzyroes
10-31-2014, 07:49 PM
If i had the power. He needs to find a community where he fits in. Im fucking Sick of it

Hey now, it takes all different kinds to make the world go round.

Catherine Wheel
10-31-2014, 07:49 PM
I'm actually not that big on the Cure. Not as much as I used to be. I listen to them once in a blue moon. You should have said U2 and the police instead

fuzzyroes
10-31-2014, 07:52 PM
strokes was good for a record. After that, i'd agree. I blame it on already beign from rich families. It was like ok we proved we could do something worthwhile with our lives..now we've lost the motivation to do it again cause we dont' need to.

Yeah, the first record did have a few good tracks, but the bands just so formulaic. Theres no experimentation or anything. Casablancas is a one-trick pony

toase
10-31-2014, 07:58 PM
grabs popcorn

Elphenor
10-31-2014, 08:10 PM
Trots: Wire, Smiths, SP, Ghostface and other black music I don't really understand

EB: The Cure, Depeche Mode, Anything 80's pop that isn't very challenging

Fuzzy: The Offspring, Green Day, Anything with straight forward masculine Rawk guitars

Charmbag: AiC, Nirvana, other pretty good 90's bands, probably some mainstream pop that I don't know anything about

Sluken: Fucking everything, but particularly 50's Rock by Black people that I don't know anything about

The exploding boy
10-31-2014, 08:14 PM
I'm actually not that big on the Cure. Not as much as I used to be. I listen to them once in a blue moon. You should have said U2 and the police instead

haven't bee around long enough to notice. Btw i did check out the band you sent me but i was like meh... only maybe 2 or 3 songs i thought were ok

I don't really go around telling people i'm pretty keen on 80's U2 but i am. Everyone has a band they're obsessed about in their teens, mine was (boringly enough) U2. Well for two years anyway, but it leaves its mark at that age. Anything past Zooropa though, no. And even AB and zooropa i'm only pretty mild about. I suspect if they weren't linked to my teens so much i probably wouldn't even care. I also did have a short police phase when i was about 16. But like U2 i find Police hard to enjoy on account of how much a twat their frontman became. The first two records, ok..after that...

Elphenor
10-31-2014, 08:15 PM
Catherine Wheel: Coldplay

Elphenor
10-31-2014, 08:16 PM
I don't think I've ever mentioned how big of a Radiohead fan boy I still am

Catherine Wheel
10-31-2014, 08:18 PM
I'm always listening to the Polices Greatest Hits. I love Walking on the Moon and Spirits In The Material World. I only really listen to early 80s U2 when they were a post punk / alternative rock band

Elphenor
10-31-2014, 08:19 PM
Sonic Johnny- Fugazi

Trotskilicious
10-31-2014, 08:21 PM
OTHER BLACK MUSIC I DONT REALLY UNDERSTAND

null123
10-31-2014, 08:24 PM
Trots: other black music I don't really understand

Charmbag: mainstream pop that I don't know anything about

Sluken: Rock by Black people that I don't know anything about

oh

The exploding boy
10-31-2014, 08:25 PM
Trots: Wire, Smiths, SP, Ghostface and other black music I don't really understand

EB: The Cure, Depeche Mode, Anything 80's pop that isn't very challenging

yup. I like a fucking hook. I'm a pop whore but like...good quality pop. Essentially all my favorite bands are pop and half of them i wonder why they didn't sell millions of records (those i like that DIDNT sell millions i mean).

But I mean the smiths is totally pop and unchallenging you know. I kinda hate that term challenging really. its a challenge to get you to like us..oh really? what because you dont know how to grab someone's (positive) attention on first listen? And i mean really in terms of some of those bands you favor, how is that different than like jazzy or bluesy improv bands? Or prog for that matter...they're challenging too Its like reverse elitism.

I feel nobody should be too good for catchy. In fact is suspect some bands are challenging only because they don't know how to be catchy...now don't get you panties in a twist i don't mean all your favorite bands...but some... I think 3/4 of arty "challenging" bands just suck too much to be anything but "challenging", the rest are making a point. The latter, alright, the former, fuck off. Its like 90% of everyone ive ever known who were in a band. They really wanted to be in a band! Mainly...that's...just what they wanted though

Elphenor
10-31-2014, 08:31 PM
Smiths are pop, but I wouldn't list them as your type of band because they're really lyrically based and very intelligent and that's not your thing

fuzzyroes
10-31-2014, 08:36 PM
burnnnnnnn

Elphenor
10-31-2014, 08:40 PM
Sluken introduced me to Throbbing Gristle, I really respect his musical tastes

fuzzyroes
10-31-2014, 08:41 PM
Slunkens the man. Guy knows his shit

myosis
10-31-2014, 08:45 PM
nimrod's son - pearl jam, pixies

myosis
10-31-2014, 08:46 PM
he really loved his pearl jam

myosis
poor guy died too young

fuzzyroes
haven't bee around long enough to notice. Btw i did check out the band you sent me but i was like meh... only maybe 2 or 3 songs i thought were ok

I don't really go around telling people i'm pretty keen on 80's U2 but i am. Everyone has a band they're obsessed about in their teens, mine was (boringly enough) U2. Well for two years anyway, but it leaves its mark at that age. Anything past Zooropa though, no. And even AB and zooropa i'm only pretty mild about. I suspect if they weren't linked to my teens so much i probably wouldn't even care. I also did have a short police phase when i was about 16. But like U2 i find Police hard to enjoy on account of how much a twat their frontman became. The first two records, ok..after that...

It's funny, Bono recently explained his new free I-tunes release was like "putting a bottle of milk in someone elses fridge"

I thought that the more accurate analogy would be to "put ones shit in someone elses pants"

myosis
10-31-2014, 08:48 PM
redbull - april lavigne

Trotskilicious
10-31-2014, 08:49 PM
vixnix - upscale jazz and classical to pretend to have sophisticated mature taste
pavementtune - emma ruth rundle
D. - genesis, tech9, a place to bury strangers, whirr
Eulogy - deftones, nin, the national, the kills
Lucky Day Spa - doesnt he hate everything?
Charmbag - aaliyah and other rnb women, nirvana, aic
Bread Regal - boris
scottytheoneand - rem
Catherine Wheel - elbow, u2, coldplay, INTERPOL
The exploding boy - the cure, chvrches
noyen - the cure, twilight sad
smashingjj - cocorosie, CONVERGE, queen, the minutemen
Dogfighter28 - kylesa
Cool As Ice cream - tom waits, pixies, bowie

Elphenor
10-31-2014, 08:51 PM
Oh yeah, Bowie and Pixies for Bram for sure

myosis
10-31-2014, 08:53 PM
muse, anyone?

The exploding boy
10-31-2014, 08:54 PM
Smiths are pop, but I wouldn't list them as your type of band because they're really lyrically based and very intelligent and that's not your thing

Please....

Are you saying the stuff i listen to is moronic? Not lyrically based, sure. But dumb? there's light (or should i say, simplistic anyway) yet intelligent and light and dumb. I like to think none of the bands i really love are the latter. And some bands can be WILLINGLY "shallow"

Also i like the smiths sorta. I just don't love them. And morrissey aggravates me a lot. It would have helped if they'd have had a frontman not so in love with himself. But then again most bands who ever made it big had a frontman exactly like that so.....

The exploding boy
10-31-2014, 08:56 PM
It's funny, Bono recently explained his new free I-tunes release was like "putting a bottle of milk in someone elses fridge"

I thought that the more accurate analogy would be to "put ones shit in someone elses pants"

wow...his implication being that everybody needs milk anyway so you might as well get it for free?

At least he should have said bread. Like...white bread. Bland white bread.

I call the new record Songs of Irrelevance.

toase
10-31-2014, 08:57 PM
poor guy died too young

He died? :confused:

I take it back about long ass texts................

Elphenor
10-31-2014, 08:58 PM
Please....

Are you saying the stuff i listen to is moronic? Not lyrically based, sure. But dumb? there's light (or should i say, simplistic anyway) yet intelligent and light and dumb. I like to think none of the bands i really love are the latter. And some bands can be WILLINGLY "shallow"

Also i like the smiths sorta. I just don't love them. And morrissey aggravates me a lot. It would have helped if they'd have had a frontman not so in love with himself. But then again most bands who ever made it big had a frontman exactly like that so.....

No I wasn't implying that the music you like is dumb. You just don't care about lyrics and I would think it would be hard to care about The Smiths if you don't care about lyrics.

The exploding boy
10-31-2014, 09:09 PM
v
The exploding boy - the cure, chvrches

I mainly just want people to associate me and ****** Mayberry in their thoughts. To think of me and her.... together. Doing it. No but that's unfair. I liked the band before i knew what they looked like. I just hope they have more than one good record in them. I hate being disappointed by new bands and its frequent nowadays. After one record i cant yet call them one of my favorite. They have the potential to make the list.

If i had to name my fav bands id say The Cure, Depeche Mode, New Order, ALtered Images, The chameleons....and probably have to ******* 80s U2. after that there's bands i like a lot but whose output wasn't/isn't consistent enough to be in my favorite bands. Just bands i really like. Like I really liked Arcade Fire until refkletor (yes, their supposedly 80s record is the one i dont like..) and sometimes named them in my fav bands. Still though i only ever about like half the songs on any of their records. They frustrate me a lot. And i predict they will not make a record i like ever again now.

Trotskilicious
10-31-2014, 09:13 PM
I forgot for cw the chameleons and echo and bunnymen

The exploding boy
10-31-2014, 09:13 PM
No I wasn't implying that the music you like is dumb. You just don't care about lyrics and I would think it would be hard to care about The Smiths if you don't care about lyrics.

Well there's a way morrissey phrases things sometimes that can cause frequent eye rolls on my part. And yes i understand irony.

That being said theres also some pretty good lines. Not many people can say "let me put my hands on your mammary glands" and not sound like a complete moron doing it. I think i actually said exactly that just recently. But yea

Trotskilicious
10-31-2014, 09:14 PM
Reflecktor is the besS AF ablum since funeral. Faggot

Trotskilicious
10-31-2014, 09:14 PM
I love hansome devil

Trotskilicious
10-31-2014, 09:15 PM
Marr is so good

Elphenor
10-31-2014, 09:16 PM
Reflecktor is the only AF album I like

fuzzyroes
10-31-2014, 09:16 PM
The Best Smiths song is:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/YyaSQLlS5e8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Elphenor
10-31-2014, 09:20 PM
Not even in the top 30 but The Smiths never wrote a bad song so it's still great

The exploding boy
10-31-2014, 09:23 PM
Reflecktor is the besS AF ablum since funeral. Faggot

Funeral
The suburbs
Neon Bible

is how i rate those i like but then again that's stating the obvious. Though for a while i thought i liked Suburbs more than Funeral AND the good neon bible songs are pretty good. I mean i did listen to reflecktor through only twice when it was leaked before release, maybe i should try again, but no song stuck with me after two "spins" which usually means in my case its pointless to keep trying.

The exploding boy
10-31-2014, 09:24 PM
Not even in the top 30 but The Smiths never wrote a bad song so it's still great

they wrote a bunch of pretty bland boring ones. Bad....maybe not bad. Like "oh my god what is this shit" bad, probably not. But uninspired, yeah, a bunch.

fuzzyroes
10-31-2014, 09:26 PM
Thats how I feel too. They obviously have some great tunes... But a lot of it is all pretty unimpressive and "meh" if you ask me.

Elphenor
10-31-2014, 09:28 PM
Honestly I tried but didn't really like any AF albums up until Reflecktor which I really like

Elphenor
10-31-2014, 09:29 PM
You guys suck

Literally every Smiths song for me including the Bsides (Except for this one cover they did) is like HOLY SHIT THIS IS AMAZING WHAT THE FUCK HOW CAN A BAND THIS GOOD EVEN EXIST I DONT EVEN

fuzzyroes
10-31-2014, 09:30 PM
You'll like any band that's held in high regard by the critics

Elphenor
10-31-2014, 09:32 PM
Some of the best lyrics ever + One of the best voices ever + One of the greatest guitarists ever + One of the greatest rhythm sections ever

Do the math

The exploding boy
10-31-2014, 09:34 PM
im suspicious of anyone that claims of any band that they dont have a bad song. Everytime i think, well, this person clearly isnt critical enough.

All the bands i claim to love have a bunch of songs i think are kinda terrible.

Elphenor
10-31-2014, 09:34 PM
Ever think the reason music critics (People who's job it is to listen to a shit ton of music) hold certain bands in high regards is because they're actually really good?

Just think about that

Edit: This is addressed to Fuzzy

fuzzyroes
10-31-2014, 09:35 PM
greatest rhythm section ever? Get real kid. Johnny Marrs great, but one of the greatest guitarist ever? That's quite the stretch.

Morissey does have a killer voice, but a lot of his vocal melodies are kind of meh.

Elphenor
10-31-2014, 09:37 PM
One of the greatest holy fuck man read

Elphenor
10-31-2014, 09:38 PM
And fuck I'd go as far as to say Marr is the fucking greatest

Trotskilicious
10-31-2014, 09:39 PM
Death of a disco dancer is horrible

Trotskilicious
10-31-2014, 09:41 PM
And fuck I'd go as far as to say Marr is the fucking greatest

After punk, yeah i put him in a top five with bill, carrie b, ted leo probs. Youre a tool so you dont get jimmy page or hendrix yet because you wish to limit ypurself to a single genre

The exploding boy
greatest rhythm section ever? Get real kid. Johnny Marrs great, but one of the greatest guitarist ever? That's quite the stretch.

Morissey does have a killer voice, but a lot of his vocal melodies are kind of meh.

theyre always the same. He has a unique way with vocal melodies, immediately recognizable, but its a one trick pony for sure. Kinda like Bjork for example. Its like wow i never heard anyone sing like this, and youre never gonna hear them sing any other way either. Not that most singers are ever very versatile but i really think morrissey is just not musical a person enough to vary his vocal mannerisms. Or care to anyway.

Elphenor
*shrugs* I love that song

Ummm, I kind of find Panic to be annoying. And idk the sort of "Anti DJ" thing is dumb. But still it's quite an anthem

Elphenor
10-31-2014, 09:43 PM
After punk, yeah i put him in a top five with bill, carrie b, ted leo probs. Youre a tool so you dont get jimmy page or hendrix yet because you wish to limit ypurself to a single genre

I like Hendrix a lot

But I mean, who doesn't?

fuzzyroes
10-31-2014, 09:46 PM
theyre always the same. He has a unique way with vocal melodies, immediately recognizable, but its a one trick pony for sure. Kinda like Bjork for example. Its like wow i never heard anyone sing like this, and youre never gonna hear them sing any other way either. Not that most singers are ever very versatile but i really think morrissey is just not musical a person enough to vary his vocal mannerisms. Or care to anyway.

One trick poneys a great way to put it. He is what he is. He's not the kind of artist who's going to be able to evolve into new ground or unbroken territory.

It's the reason why his solo stuff hasn't been able to resonate the way the Smiths did. It's just sorta regurgitated and recycled but without the charm that the former bandmembers brought

fuzzyroes
10-31-2014, 09:47 PM
I like Hendrix a lot

But I mean, who doesn't?

So you don't like Jimmy Page but love Hendrix?

I would have guessed that Hendrix was too "Dad-rock" for you.

Trotskilicious
10-31-2014, 09:48 PM
I like Hendrix a lot

But I mean, who doesn't?

Who doesnt like the zep?

Little turds thats who

The exploding boy
10-31-2014, 09:48 PM
in terms of guitar player its almost like you have to separate by genres or eras at least. But i rate Johnny Marr pretty high yeah, not as a technical player (i dont really rate technique anyway) but as an inventive player with a great and unique style. Im not even a smiths fan but i did bother trying to pick up a bunch of smiths songs because i wanted to understand the way he went about his guitar lines. kinda deconstruct it to see if i could learn something out of it. I learned one thing, i dont have his sense of phrasing. I like to play this charming man but it doesnt matter how much i could ever try (and yeah im a poor guitar player but whatev) i could never come up with something close to that.

Trotskilicious
10-31-2014, 09:49 PM
One trick poneys a great way to put it. He is what he is. He's not the kind of artist who's going to be able to evolve into new ground or unbroken territory.

It's the reason why his solo stuff hasn't been able to resonate the way the Smiths did. It's just sorta regurgitated and recycled but without the charm that the former bandmembers brought

You say so many stupid, unimformed, hypocritical things its incredible

The exploding boy
10-31-2014, 09:49 PM
Who doesnt like the zep?

Little turds thats who

Im a little turd.

I just dont "get" it

fuzzyroes
10-31-2014, 09:52 PM
You say so many stupid, unimformed, hypocritical things its incredible

Yeah? How about them Spurs eh? They just destroy the Suns in the first quarter and come back in the 2nd to just get destroyed on the Suns quart. Typical NBA fabrication for ya

Elphenor
10-31-2014, 10:12 PM
So you don't like Jimmy Page but love Hendrix?

I would have guessed that Hendrix was too "Dad-rock" for you.

Pretty sure I already mentioned I dislike Zep because of Plant's voice and not Page's guitar

Elphenor
10-31-2014, 10:13 PM
And still Hendrix >>>>>>> Page

Trotskilicious
10-31-2014, 10:26 PM
No but fun to pretend

null123
11-01-2014, 12:14 AM
Trotskilicious - Pixies, Wire, Black Keys which I always remember cause I think they are so awful, backpack rap

vixnix- jazz and classical, classical and jazz

slunken - 60s garage, The Kills, Manson, tho not a representative sample since the music board pretty much belongs to him these days. Has that kind of untouchable ecclectic worldly taste or whatever except I notice nothing that slick or cutesy in the mix

Sonic Johnny - fucking epic guitar bands, \m/ stylish contemporary party music

Elphenor - all those 80s bands that lonely 20-year-old boys feel intense ownership of

D. - Kill Hannah, Phil Collins, Peter Gabriel; taste is some kinda combination between my dad and a midwestern high school sophomore girl

Eulogy - Nine Inch Nails, Deftones; I honestly have always been endeared by the fact that he likes the same horrible adolescent bro music as me as unironically as I do

Lucky Day Spa - Radiohead, Muse, end of

Charmbag - Crystal Castles

Trotskilicious
11-01-2014, 12:27 AM
backpack rap really? i always thought it was 90s east coast gangsta shit is that backpack rap

i did like brothers at the time but i haven't listened to it since

null123
11-01-2014, 12:29 AM
I'm just giving u a hard time

Actually though the only rappers I've heard you namecheck in recent times are Nas, Curren$y, and Kanye

Elphenor
11-01-2014, 12:31 AM
I've never met another 20 year old boy that likes The Fall. I have this 20 year old goth female friend who probably likes them

Trotskilicious
11-01-2014, 12:32 AM
pretty much all i talk about now is ghostface

Elphenor
11-01-2014, 12:33 AM
I just want a circle of Fall worshiping friends why is that so much to ask

Trotskilicious
11-01-2014, 12:34 AM
I've never met another 20 year old boy that likes The Fall. I have this 20 year old goth female friend who probably likes them

move to los angeles or austin or portland already and stfu, jesus

you remind me of this onion article "Area 15-Year-Old Only Homosexual In Whole World"

Trotskilicious
11-01-2014, 12:34 AM
I just want a circle of Fall worshiping friends why is that so much to ask

yes, it's stupid and boring when everyone likes the exact same shit

you fuckin clone

punk rock foreverrrrrrrrrrrrr

null123
11-01-2014, 12:36 AM
Can someone get this kid a hipinion account

Elphenor
11-01-2014, 01:02 AM
I'm still super bummed that girl that liked Joy Division stopped returning my texts

Elphenor
11-01-2014, 01:03 AM
Im drunk now

Elphenor
11-01-2014, 01:19 AM
I really do love gang of four sooooo much

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/iHfwqs5B1UU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Trotskilicious
11-01-2014, 01:26 AM
yeah we know god damn will you talk about something else

Mals Marola
11-01-2014, 01:48 AM

do they even have 30 songs

Mals Marola
11-01-2014, 01:51 AM

i liked them when i was 15 because someone semi-randomly showed me the classical

wasn't that hard to find other fans, though. i just wasn't neccesarily looking

dreams of glass
11-01-2014, 01:51 AM

I was into the The Fall when I was 20, and that was 16 years ago.

I loved this album:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/6A3cHzFQsqI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Trotskilicious
11-01-2014, 01:52 AM
do they even have 30 songs

the smiths? yes

Mals Marola
11-01-2014, 01:53 AM
surely not much more than 50 though right? i mean i've heard pretty much all their shit but saying something's "not in the top 30" is pretty damn daming

ask is pretty cool and for fuck's sake of all the songs to hate, panic?? aw what am i acting like i care about opinions on here anymore fer

dreams of glass
11-01-2014, 01:53 AM
I really do love gang of four sooooo much

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/iHfwqs5B1UU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Gang of Four is also excellent. I had this on vinyl at one point.

http://youtu.be/rmiwPZczUy8?t=20m24s

Mals Marola
11-01-2014, 01:58 AM
what is up with the 30-something year old e-bullies on here

aren't you supposed to grow out of that at like 18 or something, jesus

Mals Marola
11-01-2014, 01:59 AM
i'm so restless i'm bored as a cat!

Trotskilicious
11-01-2014, 02:24 AM
surely not much more than 50 though right? i mean i've heard pretty much all their shit but saying something's "not in the top 30" is pretty damn daming

ask is pretty cool and for fuck's sake of all the songs to hate, panic?? aw what am i acting like i care about opinions on here anymore fer

i don't even want to count because between hatful and louder than bombs there's so many duplicate songs

oh that's right the smiths song i hate the absolute most is Paint a Vulgar Picture

Trotskilicious
11-01-2014, 02:26 AM
what is up with the 30-something year old e-bullies on here

aren't you supposed to grow out of that at like 18 or something, jesus

i think there's older than that, jeez man

Mals Marola
11-01-2014, 02:29 AM
30-something isn't old obv it was more the content of some of the posts reminding me of shit that went on in high school, etc. bickery catty yada yada

Trotskilicious
11-01-2014, 03:27 AM
i just want to be funny

null123
11-01-2014, 03:39 AM
Thanks everyone for turning this thread into every other thread

Elphenor
11-01-2014, 04:49 AM
This thread reminded me of how much I fucking love Hendrix too actually

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/g08uudmZKsE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

TuralyonW3
11-01-2014, 06:15 AM
Trotskilicious
vixnix
pavementtune
slunken
Sonic Johnny
Elphenor
D.
Eulogy
Lucky Day Spa
Charmbag
Bread Regal
scottytheoneand
The Omega Concern
Catherine Wheel
reprise85
Order 66
The exploding boy
fuzzyroes
yo soy el mejor
noyen
smashingjj
Dogfighter28
Cool As Ice Cream

Really

Sonic Johnny
11-01-2014, 06:51 AM
Thanks everyone for turning this thread into every other thread

It is seriously getting bad and I know that i'm engaging with it too which is worse. It truly feels like the end of days around here at the moment.

Trotskilicious
11-01-2014, 07:06 AM
i blame myself

i have to stop posting

The exploding boy
11-01-2014, 08:45 AM
i think it's fairly more interesting lately than when i first got back in early summer or whenever that was.

Of course that might be because im probably one of the people making this forum allegedly worse.

vixnix
11-01-2014, 08:56 AM
Trotskilicious - Boy George
vixnix -
pavementtune -
slunken - Ryan Adams
Sonic Johnny - Beck
Elphenor - Coldplay
D. - Bruce Springsteen
Eulogy - Panic! At the Disco
Lucky Day Spa - Goldenhorse
Charmbag - Madonna
Bread Regal - ??
scottytheoneand - Tim Minchin
The Omega Concern - Billy Corgan
Catherine Wheel - Matchbox 20
reprise85 - Cat Power
Order 66 - The Roots
The exploding boy - MC 900 FT Jesus
fuzzyroes - ??
yo soy el mejor - Bjork
noyen - radiohead
smashingjj - ??
Dogfighter28 - ??
Cool As Ice Cream - Pulp
TuralyonW3 - Paul Simon

These are artists that I associated with these boarders when I thought about it just now.

I don't ordinarily associate any artists with boarders.

Also, by associating jazz and classical with me, may I just point out that you are not answering the question posed by the thread.

That's me being what Louis C.K. would call a faggot. You could say back: "Shut up, faggot."

pale_princess
11-01-2014, 09:27 AM
just doing one per 'phorian:

trots: SWANS (all caps)
d: phil collins
reprise 85: toad the wet sprocket
mayfux: xiu xiu
graveflower: used to be lady gaga but now taylor swift ^_^
noyen: the cure
the omega concern: rush
geek usa: bjork
smashing jj: kozelek
pale princess: britney

D.
11-01-2014, 09:29 AM
D. - Kill Hannah, Phil Collins, Peter Gabriel; taste is some kinda combination between my dad and a midwestern high school sophomore girl

Peter Gabriel?! That's offensive.

D.
11-01-2014, 09:35 AM
Eulogy - Tool & NIN
Trots - Titus Andronicus
Mayfuck - Belle and Sebastian, Xiu Xiu, & Aphex Twin
Pale Princess - Red House Painters
Reprise - 90's/00's inoffensive "alt" rock

I dunno this is hard since I don't normally associate boarders w bands.

slunken
11-01-2014, 10:41 AM

I'm trying too and I can only come up with a few. It's generally the boarders who never shut up about a particular group so it's kind of negative.

I think my original idea for this was somebody was talking about the kind of music trots supposedly likes and i was like wait where the fuck did that come from and so i was interested in peoples' projected opinions of other boarders' musical tastes.

or something. i was full of oktoberfest beer and had candy for dinner.

slunken
11-01-2014, 10:43 AM
i slept for almost 14 hours it was glorious.

The exploding boy
11-01-2014, 10:49 AM
14 hours?!?! I'd worry. i sleep 5 hours and a half and that seems to be enough most days. It used to be 6 but its going down...it used to be 8 even some years ago. I suspect by the time i'm 40 it'll be like 4. Hopefully at 60 i wont sleep anymore so i at least can make the most of my remaining years, if i get there.

The exploding boy
11-01-2014, 10:50 AM
To get back on topic i think you're the only boarder i dont yet associate yet with a band, just loads of fucking bands. Most of which are probably pre 80's. to be honest i used to think you were like probably the worst hipster ever what with your constant buying of loads of obscure old vinyls but i guess you're alright. You're just a music nerd.

D.
11-01-2014, 11:08 AM
i slept for almost 14 hours it was glorious.

That sounds amazing.

slunken
11-01-2014, 11:17 AM
Most of which are probably pre 80's. to be honest i used to think you were like probably the worst hipster ever what with your constant buying of loads of obscure old vinyls but i guess you're alright. You're just a music nerd.

lol thanks?

i think i'm pretty myopic about music. i listen to very few specific genres from very specific eras and that's pretty much it. it just comes down to my daily habits and my musical needs and what i need music to do for me.

sometimes i think i enjoy history more than the actual subject of the history. in this instance, the music itself.

I guess what I'm saying is that I feel my collection (350 out of 850 are pre-80s btw) is actually made up of a bunch of smaller collections.

as far as "nerd" goes you're probably absolutely right and i'm trying to begin to come to terms with what will surely end up a robert crumb type sad obsessive existence. i feel the only way to combat this is to not be too pushy or tedious about music with other people.

slunken
11-01-2014, 11:20 AM
slunken - I notice nothing that slick or cutesy in the mix

i've been trying to rectify this.

i'm still on a 70s soul-jazz kick (advanced smooth) but while it's extremely slick it's not very cute or poppy. at least it's super-positive though.

slunken
11-01-2014, 11:27 AM
this is in my go-to weekend morning stack
music for hangovers

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/hSdUbrha98g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Poots
11-01-2014, 11:37 AM
Trots - 30 Odd Foot of Grunts
Elfenor - The Ordinary Fear of God

slunken
11-01-2014, 11:42 AM
pumpkinsfan1998 - the dandy warhols

Poots
11-01-2014, 11:43 AM
slunken - Bruce Willis Blues Band

slunken
11-01-2014, 11:44 AM
Is that part of the Die Hard trilogy?

Poots
11-01-2014, 11:47 AM
This totally reminds me of you

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/nDXkd2NyCCE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Poots
11-01-2014, 11:49 AM
the thing I love about them is that they are such good dancers. great moves. And bruce looks like a young Jim Morrison.

slunken
11-01-2014, 11:59 AM
dang he can play the harmonica pretty well but a good frontman he is not

slunken
11-01-2014, 12:00 PM
band's a little stiff

slunken
11-01-2014, 12:00 PM
but it's kind of difficult to gauge that what with the camera being various angles of bruce 99% of the time

slunken
11-01-2014, 12:05 PM
all the girl posters - fiona apple
all the dudes - sleep

Mooney
11-01-2014, 01:11 PM
Mooney: the most cliched list of overrated bands with cult followings. e.g. the velvet undeground, joy division, sonic youth...

null123
11-01-2014, 03:23 PM
Really

Post more

null123
11-01-2014, 03:27 PM
Also emember these are just impressions I had. Obviously I don't hang around the music board much since most people's impression of my taste is based on that one post I made a week ago

Xteenmachine
11-01-2014, 04:26 PM
d. - kill hannah
fattening ass - year of the rabbit
eulogy - alkaline trio, garbage
mirrar - modest mouse
spa_ced - hum
christhimself! - deus, mogwai
pavementtune - the frames
geek usa - the unicorns
toby - john mayer
krazeestacee - insane clown posse, gomez
sucksuckstyle - tupac
capnjazz - mars volta
lie - jeff buckley
peabody - bjork
mayfuck - his name is alive
whatcolor - two gallants
toyschoketoys - biffy clyro
new art rioter - my vitriol
orchestra - at the drive-in

reprise85
11-01-2014, 06:45 PM
Eulogy - Tool & NIN
Trots - Titus Andronicus
Mayfuck - Belle and Sebastian, Xiu Xiu, & Aphex Twin
Pale Princess - Red House Painters
Reprise - 90's/00's inoffensive "alt" rock

hmm i do like toad the wet sprocket and fuel's first album and marcy playground since you recommended more of their albums to me. and uhh, pumpkins and radiohead. i think those are the only 90s bands i listen to with any sort of regularity.

toase
11-01-2014, 07:07 PM
Trotskilicious Smashing Pumpkins
vixnix Smashing Pumpkins
pavementtune Smashing Pumpkins
slunken Smashing Pumpkins
Sonic Johnny Smashing Pumpkins
Elphenor Smashing Pumpkins
D. Smashing Pumpkins
Eulogy Smashing Pumpkins
Lucky Day Spa Smashing Pumpkins
Charmbag Smashing Pumpkins
Bread Regal Smashing Pumpkins
scottytheoneand Smashing Pumpkins, zwan, Billy Corgan,
The Omega Concern Smashing Pumpkins
Catherine Wheel Smashing Pumpkins
reprise85 Smashing Pumpkins
Order 66 Smashing Pumpkins
The exploding boy Smashing Pumpkins
fuzzyroes Smashing Pumpkins, Kiss, Bloodhound Gang
yo soy el mejor Alicia Keys?
noyen Smashing Pumpkins?
smashingjj Smashing Pumpkins
Dogfighter28 Smashing Pumpkins
Cool As Ice Cream Smashing Pumpkins

pavementtune
11-01-2014, 08:32 PM
Trotskilicious: Deafheaven
vixnix: Tracy Chapman
slunken: Herbie Mann
Sonic Johnny: Fugazi
Elphenor: A-ha
D.: Vampire Weekend
Eulogy: Beyoncé
Lucky Day Spa: John Darnielle
Charmbag: Lana del Ray
scottytheoneand: The Cold and Lovely
The Omega Concern: Rush
Catherine Wheel: Richard Ashcroft
reprise85: Aerosmith
Order 66: Trust
The exploding boy: Courtney Love
fuzzyroes - Gaslight Anthem
yo soy el mejor: Garth Brooks
noyen: Chelsea Wolfe
smashingjj: Sun Kil Moon
Cool As Ice Cream: Kate Bush
I'm Hardcore: Richard Skelton
Starla: Phil Collins
Mo: Waxolutionists
Shallowed: Deerhunter
redbull: Neutal Milk Hotel
xteenmachine: Scritti Politti
toase: Beck
Turalyon: Claude-Michel Schönberg
Aeris Hilton: Lady Gaga

The exploding boy
11-01-2014, 08:33 PM
:erm:

The exploding boy
11-01-2014, 08:34 PM
Aslo Elhpenor doesnt get to have a-ha even as a joek when i totally unironically really like Take on me (one the best pop song ever i dont care who you are) and The Sun always shines on tv

Elphenor
11-01-2014, 08:37 PM
I actually do really like Take on Me

I even posted about it in the "Songs that make you smile" thread

reprise85
11-01-2014, 08:37 PM
lol aerosmith

The exploding boy
11-01-2014, 08:49 PM
I actually do really like Take on Me

I even posted about it in the "Songs that make you smile" thread

I missed that I guess and i rEALLY should have mentioned it myself too

pavementtune
11-01-2014, 08:55 PM
lol aerosmith

:erm:
Aslo Elhpenor doesnt get to have a-ha even as a joek

The topic asked for personal associations, not which band the boarders actually like the most?
At least that's how I understood it.
That's why you got Courtney.

reprise85
11-01-2014, 08:57 PM
do you have a reason you associate me with aerosmith or was it a first thing that came to mind kind of association?

pavementtune
11-01-2014, 09:01 PM
Maybe you once posted anything about Aerosmith and it stuck? I really don't know.

The exploding boy
11-01-2014, 09:01 PM
I missed that I guess and i rEALLY should have mentioned it myself too

The story behind the song interesting like how it became a hit. It wasnt at first. it was release THREE times within a year before it became one. Its one of those rare cases where the record company believed in the song so much. They released the song the first time, it flopped, the label paid to have it rerecorded and reproduced, released it again with a video, it flopped again. And THEN they put loads of money into the making of a SECOND video, which is the classic we all know, then released the song a third time. And THEN finally it was a hit. It must have been frustrating like WTF IS WRNG WITH YOU PEOPLE, THIS IS CATCHY AS SHIT, WHAT PART OF THIS AWESOME SYNTH RIFF ARE YOU NOT HEARING?

And really, it only became a hit because of the video. When the song on its own should have been enough i feel. But those were the peak of the mtv days. Just yesterday i was on youtube and someone was lamenting how Ill stop the world and melt with you only reached #76 on billboard. Im not surprised. The guys weren't pretty boys and the video was boring. Of course the song has been redeemed since because down the line with the years, it doesnt matter anyway what the video was like and how unnattractive the band was.

The exploding boy
11-01-2014, 09:02 PM
The topic asked for personal associations, not which band the boarders actually like the most?
At least that's how I understood it.
That's why you got Courtney.

I know, you did it right. I am just embarrassed.

reprise85
11-01-2014, 09:08 PM
Maybe you once posted anything about Aerosmith and it stuck? I really don't know.

that's cool. just wondering. i associate you with the night sky. specifically, the song spaceman by the killers came to mind.

slunken
11-01-2014, 10:18 PM
slunken: Herbie Mann

http://www.recordsale.de/cdpix/h/herbie_mann-waterbed.jpg

this is a masterpiece and the world needs to know

slunken
11-01-2014, 10:22 PM
If you need an example of how jazz critics and soul/funk audiences didn't see eye to eye in the 1970s, you need look no further than Herbie Mann. Many jazz critics hated commercial Mann LPs like Discotheque and Waterbed with a passion, and saw them as examples of a gifted virtuoso dumbing his music down in order to sell more records.
<b>

fuzzyroes
11-01-2014, 10:56 PM
The story behind the song interesting like how it became a hit. It wasnt at first. it was release THREE times within a year before it became one. Its one of those rare cases where the record company believed in the song so much. They released the song the first time, it flopped, the label paid to have it rerecorded and reproduced, released it again with a video, it flopped again. And THEN they put loads of money into the making of a SECOND video, which is the classic we all know, then released the song a third time. And THEN finally it was a hit. It must have been frustrating like WTF IS WRNG WITH YOU PEOPLE, THIS IS CATCHY AS SHIT, WHAT PART OF THIS AWESOME SYNTH RIFF ARE YOU NOT HEARING?

Haha, that's crazy. I had no idea. That definitely was one of those songs that was huge largely because of the music video, much like Weezers Buddy Holly.

But yeah, take on me is fucking great. Anyone ever listen to this cover? It's pretty damn sweet

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/QHpU0ZfXZ_g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

fuzzyroes
11-01-2014, 11:02 PM
This is also an excellent Aha song

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/s6VaeFCxta8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

fuzzyroes
11-01-2014, 11:04 PM
I believe this was in fairly high rotation on the soft-rock stations back in the day. It's a great tune

The exploding boy
11-01-2014, 11:42 PM
Haha, that's crazy. I had no idea. That definitely was one of those songs that was huge largely because of the music video, much like Weezers Buddy Holly.

But yeah, take on me is fucking great. Anyone ever listen to this cover? It's pretty damn sweet

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/QHpU0ZfXZ_g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sorry but you dont want to get me started on 90s new ska and all the covers of great 80s songs they ruined. This, Come on Eileen by Save Ferris.... i shudder. Not into that stuff at all.

I'm Hardcore
11-02-2014, 12:47 AM
Trotskilicious
vixnix
pavementtune
slunken
Sonic Johnny
Elphenor
D.
Eulogy
Lucky Day Spa
Charmbag
Bread Regal
scottytheoneand
The Omega Concern
Catherine Wheel
reprise85
Order 66
The exploding boy
fuzzyroes
yo soy el mejor
noyen
smashingjj
Dogfighter28
Cool As Ice Cream

bitch

Elphenor
11-02-2014, 12:52 AM
Im Hardcore: Sonic Youth, VU

D.
11-02-2014, 01:11 AM
I'm Hardcore: Bardo Pond

null123
11-02-2014, 01:22 AM
Make more than a post a month and then maybe you can whine about not being on a short list of active boarders

fuzzyroes
11-02-2014, 01:22 AM
Sorry but you dont want to get me started on 90s new ska and all the covers of great 80s songs they ruined. This, Come on Eileen by Save Ferris.... i shudder. Not into that stuff at all.

Heh, yeah I wasn't much of a fan either. NOFX's Ska album "so long and thanks for all the shoes" was great. I really liked No Doubt's Tragic Kingdom at at the time, Some of the Goldfinger ska stuff was cool but a lot of those bands were weak. Not a huge RBF fan but I like that cover.

fuzzyroes
11-02-2014, 01:23 AM
Save Ferris, forgot they even existed. My god were they a shit band.

Catherine Wheel
11-02-2014, 01:31 AM
Most third wave ska is shit compared to the English Beat, The Specials, Madness and other British ska bands from the early 80s.

Elphenor
11-02-2014, 01:33 AM
But The Specials and Madness are my shittt

The exploding boy
11-02-2014, 01:01 AM
yeah, 2 tone ska or gtfo.

I'm Hardcore
11-02-2014, 01:04 AM
Make more than a post a month and then maybe you can whine about not being on a short list of active boarders

i post far more frequently than once per month, but it's nice that you pay attention

I'm Hardcore
11-02-2014, 01:05 AM
I'm Hardcore: Bardo Pond

D: 'Strawberry Jam'-era AC

null123
11-02-2014, 01:27 AM
I'm sorry for not paying attention. I really do try to keep my thumb on the pulse of things here

The exploding boy
11-02-2014, 01:45 AM
Well its just very insensitive. I bet you dont even know what my favorite cereal is nevermind Im Hardcore's.

Sometimes i don't know why i even bother to overshare in detail everything about my life. Its like you people arent even listening or something.

Elphenor
11-02-2014, 02:02 AM
Usually I'll read the first couple of sentences

slunken
11-02-2014, 07:36 AM
Everyone should read more and post less just like IRL

Mals Marola
11-02-2014, 07:53 AM
when you're in a "register queue" for 3 months you do plenty of reading vs. posting for what it's worth

at one point i was lookin up what people thought of zeitgeist when it came out, for fuck's sake

surprisingly, pretty highly!

The exploding boy
11-02-2014, 08:50 AM
Usually I'll read the first couple of sentences

Well it's always very interesting

to me. Im not gonna lie i think im fascinating. But i may be biased.

Mooney
11-02-2014, 10:49 AM

i post just infrequently enough to only have been included in any list of netphorians two or three times in over fourteen years. :o

myosis
11-02-2014, 02:25 PM
the answer to Muse is Isle

toase
11-02-2014, 04:39 PM
Don't fight guys, Monte was never mentioned
Is anybody gonna mention Monte already?
Please?

toase
11-02-2014, 04:50 PM
It is pronounced "Month+Tea"

Oh MY GOD!
I think I've just discovered the Zuzu mystery

reprise85
11-02-2014, 07:09 PM
Well it's always very interesting

to me. Im not gonna lie i think im fascinating. But i may be biased.

i usually read the entirety of what you post. probably 80% of the time.

The exploding boy
11-02-2014, 07:12 PM
I can only say i'm sorry.

But that proves at least one thing, you dont have ADD.

The exploding boy
11-02-2014, 07:12 PM
come to think of it its probably because you're studying psychology.

Lucky Day Spa
11-02-2014, 07:15 PM
Lucky Day Spa - doesnt he hate everything?
no

Lucky Day Spa
11-02-2014, 07:17 PM
Lucky Day Spa - Radiohead, Muse, end of

i don't like muse but

Muse, anyone?

null123
11-02-2014, 07:53 PM
I know you don't but I still associate you with Muse

Lucky Day Spa
11-02-2014, 08:22 PM
who's muse? whose muse? muse? muse? bueller?

Elphenor
11-02-2014, 10:44 PM
Does Monte listen to anything but Smashing Pumpkins

fuzzyroes
11-04-2014, 03:36 AM
He also likes Ben Folds 5

Shallowed
11-04-2014, 06:41 AM
Shallowed: Deerhunter

I can deal with this

Shallowed
11-04-2014, 08:43 AM
In order of most active posters in this thread so far, only picking one artist each -

The Exploding Boy - Courtney Love
Elphenor - The Fall
Trotskilicious - Swans
Fuzzyroes - not-as-popular-as-their-early-stuff-but-they-still-have-some-great-songs-era Weezer
slunken - Django Reinhardt
Charmbag - Five
toase - Bread
Mals Marola - Daft Punk
myosis - Miosis
reprise85 - Smashing Pumpkins, more than anyone else for some reason
Poots - AFX
D. - Goat Rainbow
Lucky Day Spa - Karlheinz Stockhausen
Pavementtune - I swear there's a Pumpkins song that has the lyric "pavement tune" in it, I just can't think of what it is, and it sounds nothing like Pavement.
Catherine Wheel - The Killers
I'm Hardcore - The Dead C
Drone Doom Head - Bull of Heaven
Mooney - Lou Reed
dreams of glass - Scatman John
TuralyonW3 - Neil Young
Sonic Johnny - Black Flag
pale princess - Britney Spears
vixnix - Ludwig van Beethoven
Xteenmachine - XTC

others that come to mind:
Eulogy - Tool
sickbadthing - G.G. Allin
rottenugly - Elliott Smith
soniclovenoize - Flaming Lips
yo soy el mejor - Avril Lavigne
Banana - Odd Future

null123
11-04-2014, 01:06 PM
Thanks for being a good board citizen

The exploding boy
11-04-2014, 01:21 PM
goddamn this will follow me.

I REGRET IT.

fuzzyroes
11-04-2014, 06:33 PM
Nothing wrong with Courtney Love. Saw her live last year and she killed it more than any other 90's artist that I've seen. The show got rave reviews in all of the media outlets too.

The exploding boy
11-04-2014, 07:00 PM
No its cause..i said things... :erm: