View Full Version : Do the verses of these songs have a similar melody?

Elijah Moon
09-18-2014, 05:24 AM
"Rocking Chair" - Oasis
"Let Me Give the World to You" - Smashing Pumpkins
"Wake Me Up When September Ends" - Green Day

fuzzyroes
09-18-2014, 05:30 AM
Haven't heard the Oasis song, but yeah theres a little similarity between the SP and GD songs. I think it's in the same key but the melodies are quite different. The lyrics are kinda wrangled off in the same sorta rhythm though

Shallowed
09-18-2014, 08:15 AM
I haven't heard the Oasis song but the only similarity between the Green Day and SP songs are that the first few notes of the melody are the same, then they go off in different directions. With only so many notes in a major key, this happens very often.

Elijah Moon
09-18-2014, 08:29 AM
I haven't heard the Oasis song but the only similarity between the Green Day and SP songs are that the first few notes of the melody are the same, then they go off in different directions. With only so many notes in a major key, this happens very often.

Thank you, I am not too good with the technical side of music. I didn't think those two were close enough for plagiarism to be involved, but I think maybe the Green Day and Oasis ones are a bit closer to each other.

Elijah Moon
09-18-2014, 08:32 AM
If you're familiar with Green Day or you research it (and, really, who could be bothered?) the extent of their plagiarism is staggering.

coldestrose
09-18-2014, 09:21 AM
There is a lot of "plagiarism" all over the music industry

Elijah Moon
09-18-2014, 09:39 AM
Well, there's bound to be. It's just Green Day have been so, so blatant with it on so many songs.

Elijah Moon
09-18-2014, 10:01 AM
I mean Billie was saying the song 'Waiting' was the best he'd ever written, till it was pointed out he'd ripped off 'Downtown' by Petula Clark. Also, the first single of that album, 'Warning' steals from a Kinks song. He ripped off a Dillinger Four riff for the song 'American Idiot." The song 'Jesus of Suburbia' rips off both Motley Crew and Brian Adams. The song 'Brain Stew' steals its "distinctive" riff from Chicago. And aren't the guitar parts on 'Boulevard...' very similar to Oasis' 'Wonderwall'? There are plenty of other examples/.

soniclovenoize
09-18-2014, 10:01 AM
Funny, when I first heard American Idiot back when it came out, the first thing I thought of when I heard that song is "Oh it sounds like 'Rockin Chair'."

Similar chords, similar melody.

coldestrose
09-18-2014, 10:10 AM
I mean Billie was saying the song 'Waiting' was the best he'd ever written, till it was pointed out he'd ripped off 'Downtown' by Petula Clark. Also, the first single of that album, 'Warning' steals from a Kinks song. He ripped off a Dillinger Four riff for the song 'American Idiot." The song 'Jesus of Suburbia' rips off both Motley Crew and Brian Adams. The song 'Brain Stew' steals its "distinctive" riff from Chicago. And aren't the guitar parts on 'Boulevard...' very similar to Oasis' 'Wonderwall'? There are plenty of other examples/.

I'm not sure about the Brain Stew one..I hadn't heard that. I know that part of Smells Like Teen Spirit ended up sounding like a rip off of a Chicago song. Either that or a Boston song.

Wonderwall and BOBD I think were similar. There's a mashup with them out there. I haven't heard it in a really long time though.

Maybe Green Day are more blatant about it, but I'm sure if people tried hard enough they would find artists to ripoff other songs with similar frequency.

Elijah Moon
09-18-2014, 10:20 AM
Well, whatever else there is to say about Green Day, I still love the 'Dookie' album.

coldestrose
09-18-2014, 10:25 AM
Dookie is good. Lately I have really liked "Nimrod" though.

soniclovenoize
09-18-2014, 10:25 AM
I'm not sure about the Brain Stew one..I hadn't heard that. I know that part of Smells Like Teen Spirit ended up sounding like a rip off of a Chicago song. Either that or a Boston song.

It was "More Than A Feeling" by Boston, and it was more a joke than anything else. Cobain even played the actual Boston riff going into SLTS at a gig.

The Chicago song Brain Stew nicked is "25 or 6 to 4"

coldestrose
09-18-2014, 10:28 AM
I knew it was one of those bands named after a city. I thought I read somewhere that Kurt hadn't meant to rip it off, but when it was pointed it out he started treating it like a joke.

soniclovenoize
09-18-2014, 10:36 AM
But be sure to note that it was Krist who pointed it out, as they were working on the song.

coldestrose
09-18-2014, 10:42 AM
Oh word. I either forgot about that bit or it wasn't mentioned. I'll have to read that book again. It was pretty good.

fuzzyroes
09-19-2014, 05:23 AM
Well, whatever else there is to say about Green Day, I still love the 'Dookie' album.

Dookies awesome. Insomniacs my favorite. Green Days still managed to put out some rad music in their later years too. The guys put on a hell of a show live. I've seen em 5 times. Last time was in 2007 and it was better than ever.

Trotskilicious
09-19-2014, 05:45 AM
DOOKIE WAS GOOD

PEOPLE WHO COMPLAIN ABOUT SIMILAR CHORDS ARE MORE THAN LIKELY IDIOTS

IF YOU WANT TO KNOW WHAT PLAGIRISM IS LISTEN TO CONNECTION BY ELASTICA YOU REMEMBER THAT SONG RIGHT IT WAS YOU KNOW AWESOME

THEN LISTEN TO THREE GIRL RHUMBA BY WIRE

THAT'S PLAGIARISM

/DROPS MIC

fuzzyroes
09-19-2014, 05:50 AM
Turbonegros the ultimate plagiarism band.

fuzzyroes
09-19-2014, 05:51 AM
I can't remember the specific examples, but they have several songs where the rip-offs are as bad as that Elastica track.

fuzzyroes
09-19-2014, 05:51 AM
Pretty sure "Get it on" rips off Alice Cooper. theres a few obvious Misfits, Ramones ripoffs too.

Trotskilicious
09-19-2014, 05:54 AM
WIRE IS INCREDIBLE

Trotskilicious
09-19-2014, 05:54 AM
CAN WE TALK ABOUT HOW INCREDIBLE WIRE IS RIGHT NOW

fuzzyroes
09-19-2014, 05:55 AM
Check out the verse in this:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/o6EFg5eWWlM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And the verse in that:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/BDfUAGxn-G4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Trotskilicious
09-19-2014, 06:12 AM
EX LION TAMER IS AN INCREDIBLE SONG

PINK FLAG IS INCREDIBLE FROM FRONT TO BACK, EVERY SONG. THEY ARE AMAZING. PIONEERS. THE TRILLEST

Trotskilicious
09-19-2014, 06:29 AM
I JUST FOUND OUT PINK FLAG ISN'T ON SPOTIFY

I AM <U>PISSED</U>

Trotskilicious
09-19-2014, 06:44 AM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/WPIDtWqS8qc?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'M JERKING IT SO HARD RIGHT NOW

STRANGE IS ON AND IT'S AS RAW AND NAKED AND REAL AND TIMELESS AS IT EVER WAS

THIS BAND IS AMAZING

FUCK YOU FUZZY ROSES

NOFX SUCKS

Trotskilicious
09-19-2014, 06:46 AM
REM COVERED STRANGE ON DOCUMENT

ITS KIND OF NEUTERED BUT STILL COOL

GIVES THEM SOME CREDIBILITY

THEY SAY STIPE AND THE OTHER GUY BONDED AT A RECORD STORE OVER WIRE

I FIGURE IF THAT WAS SO TRUE THEN WHY DID THEY MAKE MUSIC LIKE THE SMITHS IF MORRISSEY WAS A PUSSY

Trotskilicious
09-19-2014, 06:47 AM
MY LIFE WAS MISSING WIRE

Trotskilicious
09-19-2014, 06:48 AM
THE FALL? GANG OF FOUR? FUCK OFF

Shallowed
09-19-2014, 07:25 AM
Wire's just one of the new hipster bands, they can't compete with the classics

just check out Bloodhound Gang for example

fuzzyroes
09-20-2014, 12:02 AM
Hooray for boobies is an excellent album and it still holds up awesomely today.