View Full Version : Monuments To An Elegy Release Date - December 9th, 2014

James
09-11-2014, 12:54 PM
Billy revealed in his latest post on http://www.smashingpumpkinsnexus.com/ that Monuments To An Elegy will be released on December 9th.

"But there are times where, thief-like, I'll plow my way through to take what I like; and MTAE is evidence of that; coming soon, FOR SALE, to a store near you; Dec 9th to be exact!"

http://www.smashingpumpkinsnexus.com/#!CREATIONSP-ALBUMBSIDES-UPDATE-/c7ba/289DF05B-1868-40ED-9F3A-7C6BA16FE0F7

Ram27
09-11-2014, 01:08 PM
Huh.

I actually got excited reading that.

This'll be fun. My first album release as a fan of the band.

something something Jimmy

Ram27
09-11-2014, 01:10 PM
Can someone translate this post to english please?

Cool As Ice Cream
09-11-2014, 01:36 PM
yes, that wasn't a bad update.
9 december, eh? i'll believe it when it's 9 december. SNORRY!

juliana
09-11-2014, 01:57 PM
Weird this isn't on the twitter yet.

Forgotten Child
09-11-2014, 02:20 PM
Weird he revealed the same thing 1 month ago.

amoergosum
09-11-2014, 02:40 PM

Didn't he plan to release the single in November/December and the album in early 2015?

James
09-11-2014, 02:48 PM

Did he? First time I have seen an actual date attached to the album release but I could be mistaken.

juliana
09-11-2014, 03:04 PM
Did he? First time I have seen an actual date attached to the album release but I could be mistaken.

He talked about a song coming out, not the album dropping. Then he said maybe an early release for the album.

zbeast78
09-11-2014, 03:13 PM
hopefully they release the song soon. that'll give us a good idea as to whether the album is worth anyone's time.

juliana
09-11-2014, 03:16 PM
I'm not expecting much. From what he blogged about, it isn't really my thing. D4N sounds better.

Forgotten Child
09-11-2014, 04:06 PM
STEREOGUM: OK, cool. If you’re open to talking about them yet, I was also curious about the two albums you have coming out next year.

CORGAN: Actually, the first one, Monuments To An Elegy, has been bumped up to, at this moment, December 9th. It’s funny, I put some of that information on a weekend post … it’s interesting how the internet works. I put that on a weekend post and nobody picked up on it.
Aug 19th '14 by Ryan Leas @ 12:07pm

scottytheoneand
09-11-2014, 04:10 PM
Keep Tommy Lee in president 2016

Ram27
09-11-2014, 04:24 PM
That's because no one can understand your writing style Billy

slunken
09-11-2014, 04:30 PM
its becasuse everyone has learned not to pay attention to dates that he gives

James
09-11-2014, 04:43 PM
touché Forgotten Child

juliana
09-11-2014, 07:45 PM
"At this moment" means nothing to me.

Order 66
09-11-2014, 07:53 PM
calling it now. Monuments is a failed album. the problem i have with Monuments is the production. notice how the 5/7/11 vienna show gave a raw feel. then with tommy navarro producing the bass could be better with james on the ebow

The Melty Man
09-12-2014, 10:11 AM
yes, that wasn't a bad update.
9 december, eh? i'll believe it when it's 9 december. SNORRY!

9 December means no later than July 2015 if I'm reading this right. After all, got to get the vinyl pressings done before the CD can ship :dammit:

bye june
09-12-2014, 10:19 AM
Seems like bands used to put their albums out only a few months after finishing them.
I don't like hearing about a finished album and then waiting 6, 7, 8 months for it to be released.
All about hype.

The Melty Man
09-12-2014, 10:29 AM
Seems like bands used to put their albums out only a few months after finishing them.
I don't like hearing about a finished album and then waiting 6, 7, 8 months for it to be released.
All about hype.

Even Oceania took months to get through the pre-release BS. It's like the recording gets finished and then the entire project is out of the artist's hands while the record company stuffs around with it figuring out where it can be sent to to be pressed, etc. Artist pops up months later to re-announce project and encourage anyone who's still listening by this point to go out and buy a copy.

bye june
09-12-2014, 10:35 AM
Mellon Collie came out two months after they finished recording.
But to be fair, they were more "relevent" back in 95.

Funbags
09-12-2014, 10:38 AM
while the record company stuffs around with it

Christmas release date, yo. $HOLIDAY SALES$ [via key demographics]

F.Delacroix
09-12-2014, 10:52 AM
But to be fair, they were more "relevent" back in 95.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-GE_XDxEM7Tk/VAqN1m3-2gI/AAAAAAAAGcA/W_yWHnfWKJI/s1600/billycorganwidenew.jpg

killtrocity
09-12-2014, 11:05 AM
Huh.

I actually got excited reading that.

This'll be fun. My first album release as a fan of the band.

something something Jimmy

:erm:

slunken
09-12-2014, 11:38 AM
Golden era he says

Venom
09-12-2014, 11:40 AM
Rather have the Machina reissue.

bye june
09-12-2014, 11:52 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-GE_XDxEM7Tk/VAqN1m3-2gI/AAAAAAAAGcA/W_yWHnfWKJI/s1600/billycorganwidenew.jpg

I'm sorry Billy please don't cougar me!

themadcaplaughs
09-12-2014, 04:38 PM
Even Oceania took months to get through the pre-release BS. It's like the recording gets finished and then the entire project is out of the artist's hands while the record company stuffs around with it figuring out where it can be sent to to be pressed, etc. Artist pops up months later to re-announce project and encourage anyone who's still listening by this point to go out and buy a copy.

Oceania was done in early September 2011. The plan was to essentially do what was done for the first part of Teargarden. Billy would post it online, and then a finite amount of copies would be made to buy. Then, apparently, so many told Billy it was such a great album that he felt it would do Oceania some sort of injustice to not get a major release. Then, not quite a year later, we had the ABSOLUTELY GROUNDBREAKING move of releasing the album on CD, vinyl, and to download through a distribution deal with a record label.

juliana
09-12-2014, 05:06 PM
There are conspiracy theories that they had to fix shit on oceania from when it was mixed with KB.

null123
09-12-2014, 05:28 PM
I feel so bad for Ram27

slunken
09-12-2014, 05:29 PM
There are conspiracy theories that they had to fix shit on oceania from when it was mixed with KB.

i wouldn't be surprise

juliana
09-12-2014, 05:33 PM
I think it is still sad KB had to be kicked. He could have been asked to do just the reissues.

slunken
09-12-2014, 05:47 PM
Do you have any insight as to what went down between them?

BC made a comment in a recent interview where I think he referred to KB as (im paraphrasing) "this hippy guy i used to live with"

juliana
09-12-2014, 05:54 PM
People won't spill that story to me. I've asked many times, they said he fucked something up bad but they never say exactly what. There has been some hinting towards how there were two germany shows booked by accident or whatever. I still don't understand why bill would fire his bff over that. I mean he did other stuff well. He could have been watching the reissue stuff or just tweeting and fbing. Kerry knew the band well and understood the fans.

Araneae
09-12-2014, 06:41 PM
BC made a comment in a recent interview where I think he referred to KB as (im paraphrasing) "this hippy guy i used to live with"

That was actually in reference to Bob (Billy’s old, hippie roommate). Billy talked about him in his confessions and I think he’s on the Viewphoria dvd, but my memory is fuzzy on that one.

There has been some hinting towards how there were two germany shows booked by accident or whatever. I still don't understand why bill would fire his bff over that.

I always thought it was weird and senseless that there were so many Germany dates on that tour. Still, a few fuckups shouldn’t be reason to completely end a long and close friendship.

adamdanger!
09-12-2014, 06:48 PM
Ust Ei wouldn't be surprise

I was horribly against KB's mix of Starla when it came out. But now listening to it over a year later, it's pretty good. Just different. I can respect him, and meeting him on the 2011 tour and talking about the reissues, the dude seemed genuinely excited to be working on it. It's a shame he's gone for now.

slunken
09-12-2014, 06:56 PM
That was actually in reference to Bob (Billy’s old, hippie roommate). Billy talked about him in his confessions and I think he’s on the Viewphoria dvd, but my memory is fuzzy on that one.

i thought of that but ended up taking a shot. i swear i remember KB posting about "tuneage" however

The Melty Man
09-12-2014, 07:48 PM
Oceania was done in early September 2011. The plan was to essentially do what was done for the first part of Teargarden. Billy would post it online, and then a finite amount of copies would be made to buy. Then, apparently, so many told Billy it was such a great album that he felt it would do Oceania some sort of injustice to not get a major release. Then, not quite a year later, we had the ABSOLUTELY GROUNDBREAKING move of releasing the album on CD, vinyl, and to download through a distribution deal with a record label.

Oceania sounded >>> better than anything that came out of the Teargarden releases, it was hard to believe they were the same project.

Incidentally, I'm still waiting for the remaining 19 tracks of Teargarden ;)

Araneae
09-12-2014, 07:48 PM
i thought of that but ended up taking a shot. i swear i remember KB posting about "tuneage" however

Sounds like a word he would use and KB does come off as being a bit hippie-like at times. But it was the “Teutonic hippie” part that gave it away to me since, for whatever strange reason, I remember Billy mentioning that Bob is German.

juliana
09-12-2014, 08:39 PM
I always thought it was weird and senseless that there were so many Germany dates on that tour. Still, a few fuckups shouldn’t be reason to completely end a long and close friendship.

IKR

I have no idea what really happened and we all know bill can flip out but from what I saw on twitter KB was really upset. He posted some article on understanding difficulties with friends who have been abused one day. Felt like he was trying to make sense of losing his friend. Unless KB was stealing from him or something bad like that. I don't see the point in cutting him out if he made mistakes or whatever. But no one will give me a straight answer as to what he did.

Ram27
09-12-2014, 08:51 PM
KB is the leaker

Araneae
09-12-2014, 09:26 PM
IKR

I have no idea what really happened and we all know bill can flip out but from what I saw on twitter KB was really upset. He posted some article on understanding difficulties with friends who have been abused one day. Felt like he was trying to make sense of losing his friend. Unless KB was stealing from him or something bad like that. I don't see the point in cutting him out if he made mistakes or whatever. But no one will give me a straight answer as to what he did.

I suppose it’s not completely out of character, he is certainly not the most reasonable person and he carries a lot of grudges. He has done this before to a lot of people. There might not really be any one or good reason for it, it only has to make sense to him and there’s no point in trying to reason with whatever goes up in that head of his, because when Billy changes his mind about someone there’s nothing really that will change it back.

juliana
09-13-2014, 01:36 AM
I suppose it’s not completely out of character, he is certainly not the most reasonable person and he carries a lot of grudges. He has done this before to a lot of people. There might not really be any one or good reason for it, it only has to make sense to him and there’s no point in trying to reason with whatever goes up in that head of his, because when Billy changes his mind about someone there’s nothing really that will change it back.

Except fame and money

Order 66
09-13-2014, 02:45 AM
i think circa 2011 billy was him at his most apeshit. which is around when him and kerry "broke up"...

i thought a lot of it had to do with the poor handling of teargarden .. kb seemed pretty committed to the project and billy, well, wasn't

Spaceboy88
09-14-2014, 10:50 AM

Oceania Truthers

http://aattp.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/alex_jones_shouting.jpg

Funbags
09-14-2014, 11:44 AM
i think circa 2011 billy was him at his most apeshit. which is around when him and kerry "broke up"...

i thought a lot of it had to do with the poor handling of teargarden .. kb seemed pretty committed to the project and billy, well, wasn't

http://sloucher.org/2011/04/20/interview-kerry-brown/

What’s the plans for 2011 for Starry and Startone Records?

On StarTone Records, Billy and I hope to put out some new recordings of the Electric Prunes and The Strawberry Alarm Clock.

TBH, I'm glad Billy moved back to Chicago :erm:

amoergosum
09-14-2014, 12:09 PM
http://aattp.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/alex_jones_shouting.jpg

>>>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/mSkZzRo1Gq4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

pumpkinfan1988
09-14-2014, 08:12 PM
So no single release? Not to be a dick but if you're confident in your new work you at least release a single to get broadcasting on the radio frequencies (yes they still exist), especially if you want to get word out that you have a new album thats banging. Its a must in this day and age where quality music is so limited IMO. Otherwise you have to question whether you're trying to reach new fans or just pleasing past fans.

Ram27
09-14-2014, 08:59 PM
So there's not gonna be a single in October?

damn

sneakyflutes
09-15-2014, 01:10 AM
So no single release? Not to be a dick but if you're confident in your new work you at least release a single to get broadcasting on the radio frequencies (yes they still exist), especially if you want to get word out that you have a new album thats banging. Its a must in this day and age where quality music is so limited IMO. Otherwise you have to question whether you're trying to reach new fans or just pleasing past fans.

Not saying it won't suck but Kid A had no singles and no one gives a fuck about the radio or music videos in 2014.

sneakyflutes
09-15-2014, 01:19 AM
Also, when did he say no single? The fact that they are recording b-sides kind of indicates the exact opposite.

T&T
09-15-2014, 01:45 AM
they're not recording B-sides, they're recording 'exclusive tracks' for 'exclusive releases' - zeitgeist style. Best buy gets bonus track A, Walmart gets bonus track B, Itunes gets bonus track C....

Maybe billy is hoping for a U2/Apple type album launch. It'll be revolutionary!

Ram27
09-15-2014, 08:10 AM
I wonder if the bonus tracks will have T LEE

smashingjj
09-15-2014, 09:19 AM
Not saying it won't suck but Kid A had no singles and no one gives a fuck about the radio or music videos in 2014.

there were loads of promo singles for radio stations though and that thing was advertised the shit out of

sneakyflutes
09-15-2014, 09:41 AM
Eh, I couldn't give a fuck if there are singles if it's a solid album. Some of my least favorite Pumpkins album tracks are singles. If anything I'd probably be more excited if he stopped trying to write a hit single. It's been his biggest problem since Zwan.

sneakyflutes
09-15-2014, 09:57 AM
Once again though, did I miss where Billy said they wouldn't release a single?

James
09-15-2014, 10:30 AM
Once again though, did I miss where Billy said they wouldn't release a single?

No you didn't...just people overreacting.

Cool As Ice Cream
09-15-2014, 10:32 AM
hey james if that is in fact your real name can you tell me a bit more about yourself like for example what is your name?

juliana
09-15-2014, 10:48 AM
Why do people even give a fuck if corgan fails or not to sell records or put out singles? Liking the album is really only shit you should give a fuck about. What does it matter if corgan markets this shit wrong or right?

Tootles
09-15-2014, 12:05 PM
^^^^

Juliana, you make me hot.

pumpkinfan1988
09-15-2014, 12:44 PM

I disagree, a lot of people still use the radio. Satellite radio has become more popular but when your driving in the car and you don't have an MP3 device to hook up or a CD to throw in you turn on the radio. What do stations play? The same boring old shit...it would be nice to actually here something new and good sounding for a change. Corgan is always talking about raising the bar, well heres an opportunity. Show those other new bands they still have work to do. Its kind of funny he says he doesn't listen to any new music, but I think he does. He probably just thinks its so terrible he doesn't want to piss anyone off, can't say I blame him.

Gooch
09-15-2014, 06:38 PM
I wonder if the bonus tracks will have T LEE

I say yes, because BC said somewhere that they spliced up his drum tracks digitally, so they probably can edi t them into the singles. Have a beat and play over it, kind of thing.

slunken
09-15-2014, 07:30 PM
whoever it was that said something about "monument to an allergy" is hilarious. i can't not read it that way now.

i have higher hopes for this record than i did for oceania. i'm into the idea of just billy and jeff in the studio recording the album. i'm hoping for a leaner, stripped down sound like what was found on zeitgeist. and i'm really curious as to how "new wave of british heavy metal/judas priest" the guitars are really going to sound. hopefully all other clues point to atmospheric synths looping in the background. the only things that ever potentially fucked up a pumpkins record were either billys vocal mix or the drumming. the drums i'm not worried about on this one...

https://fbexternal-a.akamaihd.net/safe_image.php?d=AQAQOJrNK6k3ZxgW&w=470&h=246&url=http%3A%2F%2Fstatic.wixstatic.com%2Fmedia%2Fe5 6f8f_4813703acdc641ad83e5a4591081539c.jpg&cfs=1&upscale&sx=0&sy=16&sw=900&sh=471

slunken
09-15-2014, 07:34 PM
at least zeitgeist had some muscle, oceania sounds neutered as all heck

Ram27
09-15-2014, 09:39 PM
I say yes, because BC said somewhere that they spliced up his drum tracks digitally, so they probably can edi t them into the singles. Have a beat and play over it, kind of thing.

So this next album is essentially pre-Gish SP, but with Jeff THE SHREDDER instead of James Iha.

fuck

juliana
09-15-2014, 10:15 PM
Um

juliana
09-15-2014, 10:16 PM
^^^^

Juliana, you make me hot.

Juliana is the sun

Tootles
09-16-2014, 09:04 AM
Your beauty outshines the sun Juliana

Ram27
09-16-2014, 10:24 AM
Thou art more lovely and more temperate

juliana
09-16-2014, 11:01 AM

I r a supernova

Cool As Ice Cream
09-16-2014, 11:02 AM
thou art the shape of a tempura

s0ss
09-16-2014, 07:50 PM

Her beauty is like an eclipse.

Gooch
09-16-2014, 08:00 PM
Her beauty is like an eclipse.

dont stare - your eyes will burn out!

juliana
09-16-2014, 08:16 PM
I'm like a chinese box, equal parts pleasure and pain.

RenewRevive
09-17-2014, 04:41 AM
Otherwise you have to question whether you're trying to reach new fans or just pleasing past fans.

the one thing you could never accuse Billy of is pleasing past fans!

i'm hoping for a leaner, stripped down sound like what was found on zeitgeist. and i'm really curious as to how "new wave of british heavy metal/judas priest" the guitars are really going to sound. hopefully all other clues point to atmospheric synths looping in the background. the only things that ever potentially fucked up a pumpkins record were either billys vocal mix or the drumming. the drums i'm not worried about on this one...

you never know, though i think Corgan is attached to "atmospherics" in a major way, like he lacks confidence in a song standing on its own merits. so he "enhances" it with synth (or in the case of zeit, the billion bolly choir). which is weird, because some of his better stuff over the last, oh 15 years or so has been the more stripped down, organic approach: Arising!, Machina 2, live pre-MSOTS Zwan, pretty much any Zeigeist songs played live - God and Country for one, Song for a Son, Owata live etc. tbh i thought Oceania handled that side of things much better.

at least zeitgeist had some muscle, oceania sounds neutered as all heck

well granted you had the Jimster on the drums, though they were somewhat buried 'neath the warbling of the lesser spotted Billster. however slunk, 7 years is FAR too early to be getting all misty-eyed over the relative qualities of Zeitgeist. Come on now!

So this next album is essentially pre-Gish SP, but with Jeff THE SHREDDER instead of James Iha.

fuck

LOL! not gonna happen though, as Billy has a really dismissive attitude towards pre-Gish material.