View Full Version : The Killers probably wouldn't exist without the Chameleons

Catherine Wheel
09-06-2014, 04:22 PM
Not so much the first Chameleons album. But especially the second one and the third one too had a big influence on early Killers. Same with White Lies.

Raskolnikov
09-06-2014, 05:03 PM
What album do I start with? Somehow, I've grown to love the Killers over the past few years. Crazy, I know - but those dudes put on a hell of a live show.

coldestrose
09-06-2014, 05:50 PM
One of my friends from college was obsessed with The Killers. I've never been huge into them and I've never seen them live, but I have always loved Hot Fuss.

Sonic Johnny
09-06-2014, 05:58 PM
It is appropriate that this band is from Vegas cause they Re the musical equivalent of Vegas

Catherine Wheel
09-06-2014, 08:50 PM
What album do I start with? Somehow, I've grown to love the Killers over the past few years. Crazy, I know - but those dudes put on a hell of a live show.

What Does Anything Mean? is the one you should start with. And if you lIke that then try Strange Times.

coldestrose
09-06-2014, 09:10 PM
I'm looking into What Does Anything Mean? now. From what I've heard on iTunes samples they sound like a lot of other 80s bands but I'll give the whole album a listen before I judge them too hard

Catherine Wheel
09-06-2014, 09:33 PM
The Chameleons sound is kind of a cross between the Cure and U2

coldestrose
09-06-2014, 11:18 PM
Yeah, the first band I thought of was The Cure

Catherine Wheel
09-07-2014, 07:28 AM
If you like Hot Fuss you should check out the album To Lose My Life by White Lies. They are the British Killers in a lot of ways.

fuzzyroes
09-07-2014, 05:48 PM
So you guys all make fun of my Bloodhound Gang thread but you're all down with the Killers. That's hilarious

"Are we humannnnn or areeee wee dancerrrrrrrrs"

Atleast Bloodhound Gang knows that there lyrics are retarded

coldestrose
09-07-2014, 06:45 PM
I've never heard Bloodhound Gang and for some reason every video I click in your thread has some weird pillow pets commercial shit I don't feel like listening to.

fuzzyroes
09-07-2014, 06:58 PM
Yeah, I noticed that too. Not sure why that sorta thing isn't deleted by the mods.

Some cool BHG songs to check out are: Along Comes Mary, 3.14, Mope, Hell Yeah, I wish I was queer so I could get chicks

fuzzyroes
09-07-2014, 06:59 PM
Good 90's alternative rock/comedic/slacker kind of group

coldestrose
09-07-2014, 07:14 PM
Right up my alley. I tend to at least listen to most kinds of music. I'm not usually a huge fan of electronic music or stuff I would hear at a rave or something. But anything else is fair game.

Sonic Johnny
09-07-2014, 08:23 PM
im not usually a huge fan of electronic music or stuff I would hear at a rave or something. But anything else is fair game.

Yeah no. Stop posting.

coldestrose
09-07-2014, 09:28 PM
Yeah no.

Sonic Johnny
09-08-2014, 12:01 AM
Seriously though, that comment was profoundly dumb. Unless you were born after 9/11 there's pretty much no excuse for being that ignorant.

opera de nuit
09-08-2014, 12:48 AM
I played bass with Mark/The Chameleons for two years. Phenomenal band. Script of the Bridge is the best of lot, imo.

The Killers can stone cold put a peter in their mouth, though.

Catherine Wheel
09-08-2014, 01:03 AM
Opera what do you think of White Lies?

Trotskilicious
09-08-2014, 01:08 AM
So you guys all make fun of my Bloodhound Gang thread but you're all down with the Killers. That's hilarious

who the fuck are you talking about, a troll account, a new guy and rasilonokov = all of you?

do you even remember who posts what

killers blow, sonic johnny hear me doe. i tell you if i had to choose the killers are way better than the sophomoric bloodhound gang every single day of the week

Trotskilicious
09-08-2014, 01:09 AM
Some cool BHG songs to check out are: I wish I was queer so I could get chicks

i hate you so goddamn much

coldestrose
09-08-2014, 03:48 AM
Seriously though, that comment was profoundly dumb. Unless you were born after 9/11 there's pretty much no excuse for being that ignorant.

Yeah you're right, stating my personal taste in music is totally ignorant. My bad.

reprise85
09-08-2014, 05:39 AM
fuzzy i cant believe you didnt know smooth criminal was an MJ song

seriously still makin me laugh days later

reprise85
09-08-2014, 05:40 AM
also the killers are pretty good, you're quoting one song to make fun of. they keep making the same album over and over after their first one, but hot fuzz is dope and the rest of the albums are good but not great.

Trotskilicious
09-08-2014, 06:09 AM
I wish I was queer so I could get chicks

Trotskilicious
09-08-2014, 06:10 AM
it's a super hilarious song, not only is it shitty to gay dudes it's also misogynistic lol fucking great

Cool As Ice Cream
09-08-2014, 06:38 AM
i fucking hate the killers
i don't want to hear it

Trotskilicious
09-08-2014, 06:43 AM
dude didn't you get the memo, we all love the killers rather than the bloodhound gang

Cool As Ice Cream
09-08-2014, 06:56 AM
i love the killers!!!!!!
fuck you fuzzy rose i shat on ur stereo

Cool As Ice Cream
09-08-2014, 07:36 AM
NP THE KILLS

Mooney
09-08-2014, 04:07 PM
for some reason i read an NME top-100 most influential artists list not that long ago. over and over through the first 90 bands they would say if it wasn't for this band there would be no killers! and then the fucking killers were in the top ten.

Trotskilicious
09-08-2014, 04:20 PM
NP THE KILLS

i certainly like that band

butthurt
09-08-2014, 09:18 PM
Joseph Smith propaganda band

Elphenor
09-08-2014, 09:20 PM
It's just music guys who cares

Sonic Johnny
09-08-2014, 09:21 PM
Yeah you're right, stating my personal taste in music is totally ignorant. My bad.

it was more the "electronic music or stuff [you] would hear at a rave" bit that's retarded. That's like saying "I listen to most genres except guitar music or stuff you would hear at a live music venue" as though that's all kinda the same thing.

Elphenor
09-08-2014, 09:23 PM
Johnny is hip as fuck

D.
09-08-2014, 09:30 PM
Killers '06 was one ze best live shows I've seen; lots of energy and good vibez

Sam's Town > Hot Fuss > day and age > battle born

D.
09-08-2014, 09:30 PM
oh, and the kills. that shit is fiiiiire naw'mean

reprise85
09-08-2014, 09:34 PM
agree with your ratings D.. though sometimes hot fuss might win

Trotskilicious
09-09-2014, 01:20 AM
oh, and the kills. that shit is fiiiiire naw'mean

jesus yes...mang i think i may put on an all kills play list RIGHT NOW

Sonic Johnny
09-09-2014, 03:08 AM
Johnny is hip as fuck

If by that you just mean "not a total moron" then... I guess?

fuzzyroes
09-09-2014, 03:36 AM
fuzzy i cant believe you didnt know smooth criminal was an MJ song

seriously still makin me laugh days later

What are you even babbling about? Of course I knew its a Michael Jackson song. How the fuck could you not know that? Even if you somehow never heard the original, I'm pretty sure that the music video would give it away with all of its odes to MJ.

fuzzyroes
09-09-2014, 03:40 AM
who the fuck are you talking about, a troll account, a new guy and rasilonokov = all of you?

do you even remember who posts what

Even so, I make a BHG thread and everyones jumping down my throat yet theres no ridicule or insults at all in a fucking Killers thread. They're just a terrible, terrible band.

I've got soullllll but I'm not a soldier!

Lets get real here.

Elphenor
09-09-2014, 03:55 AM
If by that you just mean "not a total moron" then... I guess?

No it's just funny to me that you're like the definition of a hip music listener as far as I'm concerned. Like 90% of the posts I've seen from you praise cool modern bands that I've never heard of or talk about how we're awash in good music while most everyone else on this board is talking about the 80's and 90's for the most part.

For example, that post you made about Billy being a guitar dinosaur and not being able to dig electronic. Most of your posts are a variant of that attitude.

Really no offense though, I'm not dissing you for knowing more about music than me.

Trotskilicious
09-09-2014, 04:28 AM
Even so, I make a BHG thread and everyones jumping down my throat yet theres no ridicule or insults at all in a fucking Killers thread. They're just a terrible, terrible band.

Lets get real here.

are you reading this thread

the other thing is, the OP is catherine wheel, a joke account. possibly. or an autistic person. you on the other hand

fuzzyroes
09-09-2014, 04:42 AM
Pretty sure CW is a real person. Too consistent and humorless

Trotskilicious
09-09-2014, 04:48 AM
yeah and in that case he is some kind of something and we shouldn't make fun of him or be mean to him

you on the other hand

fuzzyroes
09-09-2014, 04:54 AM
Yeah Trosky, your taste of music is the only acceptable one. Anyone else who dares to like anything different must be chastised.

Cool As Ice Cream
09-09-2014, 05:00 AM
Pretty sure CW is a real person. Too consistent and humorless

just like you.

fuzzyroes
09-09-2014, 05:00 AM
What is this, Be mean to Fuzz day?

Cool As Ice Cream
09-09-2014, 05:08 AM
yes. just today, though. we're never mean to retards on other days.

Trotskilicious
09-09-2014, 05:13 AM
it's just me anyway i'm the only one that is mean this is exactly like when pavementtune quit

Cool As Ice Cream
09-09-2014, 05:52 AM
pavementtune quit? when did that happen?

Trotskilicious
09-09-2014, 05:55 AM
oh i shouted at her a bit too much about something that was annoying me for days

Cool As Ice Cream
09-09-2014, 05:57 AM
show me where

edit: never mind, i found it. i had skipped that thread entirely.

D.
09-09-2014, 08:20 AM

Lets get real here.
That soul/soldier refrain part or whatever it's called is literally better than any song or bit of music bhg has or could ever make. Nice try though; even people who hate the Killers admit that "All These Things I've Done" is a good if not great song. Gtfo

coldestrose
09-09-2014, 09:14 AM
it was more the "electronic music or stuff [you] would hear at a rave" bit that's retarded. That's like saying "I listen to most genres except guitar music or stuff you would hear at a live music venue" as though that's all kinda the same thing.

Fair enough.

reprise85
09-09-2014, 09:45 AM
That soul/soldier refrain part or whatever it's called is literally better than any song or bit of music bhg has or could ever make. Nice try though; even people who hate the Killers admit that "All These Things I've Done" is a good if not great song. Gtfo

yeah i love that part.

seriously fuzzy, the killers are much better than the fucking blood hound gang. come the fuck on.

Raskolnikov
09-09-2014, 01:39 PM
Joseph Smith propaganda band

This = spot on.

But, yeah... good to see this thread swinging back to reality. A few thoughts:

-The lyric we're makin' fun of isn't even quoted correctly - "are we human, or are we dancer?" - the correct lyric - is arguably worse than it was quoted, which is kinda lol

-I can't go as far as to say that Hot Fuss is my least favorite of theirs, but I can definitely say it's probably the most front loaded CD I own. After All These Things That I've Done... welcome to filler town.

-Weird to me how NME and other British magazines revere the killers so highly... I mean, they're rock solid - but just weird how they latched on like that. Brits love 'em.

reprise85
09-09-2014, 03:22 PM
-I can't go as far as to say that Hot Fuss is my least favorite of theirs, but I can definitely say it's probably the most front loaded CD I own. After All These Things That I've Done... welcome to filler town.

Midnight Show says hello.

Sonic Johnny
09-09-2014, 07:17 PM
No it's just funny to me that you're like the definition of a hip music listener as far as I'm concerned. Like 90% of the posts I've seen from you praise cool modern bands that I've never heard of or talk about how we're awash in good music while most everyone else on this board is talking about the 80's and 90's for the most part.

For example, that post you made about Billy being a guitar dinosaur and not being able to dig electronic. Most of your posts are a variant of that attitude.

Really no offense though, I'm not dissing you for knowing more about music than me.

I certainly feel the need to go in to bat for the electronic stuff, partly cause it's my area as a musician but partly cause I feel like lots of posters here rag on it. But yeah I reckon music is p good these days.

Trotskilicious
09-10-2014, 12:22 AM
seriously fuzzy, the killers are much better than the fucking blood hound gang. come the fuck on.

obvs just saying that to fit in with the cool kids

fuzzyroes
09-10-2014, 12:51 AM

That songs just a pompous U2/Coldplay-esque rip off. I mean Jesus Christ, ape the Edge a little more why dontcha? And the whole church choir thing in the middle singing that embarrassingly bad lyric... Just terrible.

fuzzyroes
09-10-2014, 01:00 AM
yeah i love that part.

I disagree. The Killers kind of remind me of Coldplay in that they just shamelessly ape other bands without adding any real originality of their own to the songs.

There IS a few exceptions though. I really like the Killers song "When you were young". That's a great track... But otherwise, I just find the band awful. Their whole schtick is terrible.

The Bloodhound Gang are what they are and they realize they're a stupid kind of band but they create fun, catchy infectious songs with their own original spin on em.

I mean shit, none of you guys even have a soft spot for this track at least?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Adgx9wt63NY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Cool As Ice Cream
09-10-2014, 01:26 AM
stop posting youtube clips
nobody will ever watch them

Trotskilicious
09-10-2014, 01:37 AM
nah dude you're just scaring them off

just chill out, relax on the beach and throw on some nofx. music doesn't really matter

:smoke:

Elphenor
09-10-2014, 03:05 AM
Stop listening to that band Fuzzy.

fuzzyroes
09-10-2014, 04:58 AM
Nofx is great when the mood calls for it. It's great stuff to play when you're partying.

Elphenor
09-10-2014, 05:12 AM
Stop listening to that band Fuzzy.

D.
09-10-2014, 11:54 AM
I guess every opinion is equal and we'll just have to agree to disagree!:D

#trotsk #thenewnetphoria

fuzzyroes
09-11-2014, 02:36 AM
hahaha

The exploding boy
10-18-2014, 11:35 AM
Seriously the big Cure thread happens when i'm gone and The Chameleons too? Fuck this. Of course after reading it i notice not much was said about the actual band and this needs to be remedied to.

One of my top 5 favorite band. One of the best bands of the 80's that never managed to make it. I mean especially considering how basically completely radio friendly their sound is. Go on any Chameleons video on youtube and i guarantee you there's someone lamenting why U2 got big but Chameleons didn't (its kinda weird though, i'm not sure why they get compared so much, i assume that in the 80's their fan base intersected?)

The truth is they didn't care to, to the point of self sabotage almost. Also, they didn't have a good image (mind you that was never U2's strong suit either). You'll find for example a lot of goths like them, but they didn't look the part and certainly didn't tailor their sound to that either (though you can see in songs like monkeyland or second skin why they had a partly goth fanbase). They were non specific image wise. Then, their album art was terrible (made by one of the guitarist, i forget which..its so 70's and not in a good way. He made a living as a graphic artist too but sorry i think he's much better at music...)

Also the band i think owes the most to Chameleons is actually Interpol. One part chameleons, one part Joy Division and you'd got interpol. But i've said that before. And the record to start with is Script of The bridge. they only made three anyway plus some eps and while Burgess says the last (strange times) is his favorite, i find it's not at all up to the standard of the first two, minus two or three exceptions).

One of the great Manchester bands that always gets forgotten..even if technically they will insist they're from the suburbs... and Mark Burgess may not have been to that iconic Sex Pistol show in manchester..but he was a the pistols christmas party, putting cake in John Lydon's hair, looking about 16 ( http://youtu.be/ingGD6DLtpI?t=1m50s )

Here's what i consider their best songs...the list will be long

The Fan and the bellows
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/SHYBC8qeh-I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Up the down escalator
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-iwxkLByt68" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Second Skin
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/nGssYCWIV74" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Paper tigers
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/9rnkyXi-Uhs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Monkeyland
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/hBjJIInF26Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Don't Fall
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Nay2N2dnfzk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

View from a hill
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/jvHPNoYR-Mg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Perfume Garden
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/UiCyQSi2-cs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

One Flesh
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/6KoRbrN2YCA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

In shreds
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-n_RB_H0llw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nostalgia
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Hcb7VqrFY6E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nathan's Phase
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/zjlno_750DQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ever After
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/i2Ozx5tONzs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The exploding boy
10-18-2014, 11:41 AM
Oh yeah and fuck the killers.

Elijah Moon
10-18-2014, 12:33 PM
The only Killers song I really like is 'Human' and isn't it based on a Hunter S. Thompson quote?