View Full Version : INTERVIEW: Billy Pieces Together His Place in the World Over the Past Three Decades

Forgotten Child
08-20-2014, 04:32 PM
I post this in the other thread, but I think it deserves a highlight:

http://www.self-titledmag.com/2014/08/19/interview-smashing-pumpkins-frontman-billy-corgan-pieces-together-his-place-in-the-world-over-the-past-three-decades/

http://cdn.self-titledmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/billy-corgan-lo-res.jpg

Elphenor
08-20-2014, 04:50 PM
He's agnostic now? Wtf

Forgotten Child
08-20-2014, 04:51 PM
Pagan / agnostic.

My favorite points:

I wanted to be a drummer actually

I was a total jock. The reality of it was I didn’t make the team in my freshman year of high school. So between that, and taking care of my special needs brother, I needed something to do. Like, ‘If I have to sit in front of this television, I might as well practice the guitar.’ If I’m not gonna be on the team, why am I out here in the driveway shooting jump shots? It was that combination—’fuck it, I’m going to go down this path now.’ I took it pretty seriously for a 14 year old.

Being on the cover of Rolling Stone. That’s one of those universal indicators of arrival, when everyone’s like, ‘We were wrong; he was right.’ But by then, I’d gotten over the need to be right. It was like a posthumous award—’Oh, I could have used this seven years ago.’

Playing Pumpkins music is like walking into a buzz saw between fans of different albums. It’s 19 voices competing for what the future should sound like, how the past should be represented, who’s in the band, who’s not in the band. I wouldn’t wish that on anyone.

Well I am slightly maniacal. What adds to the egoistic confusion is I’m a person who completely possesses what he’s into at the time, and when I’m done, I move on. So that seems to lend credence to the idea that I don’t believe in what I’m doing—that it is a bit of a pose. But that’s like saying that because Russell Crowe was a good guy in one movie and a bad guy in another, he didn’t believe in those things. You’re imbued—let’s even say possessed—by a certain energy, by a particular set of feelings or impressions or artistic movements. And once those things stop being relevant in an exciting way, you just kinda move onto another ant hill.

The first time I played with Jeff, I said, ‘Ain’t gonna work.’ Because Jeff had always been a lead guitar player in his bands. He’d never played with another guy. To his credit, he went back and said, ‘Can we try this again?’ He showed me he had taken criticism and was willing to work with me. It was like, ‘Oh, this guy’s not afraid.’ Because most people would have tucked their tail between their legs, said fuck you and goodbye. I’ve been there.

I don’t think I’ve escaped the need to prove myself unfortunately.

In my case, it was very particular—in the middle of this dysfunctional band that was still selling records. I did the worst thing then; I blew everything up, and thought I was ‘powerful’ enough to reassemble it some other way.

In order to endure long days in the studio and public humiliation, I told myself, ‘Well little Joey, if you just get to there, all this cool stuff is going to happen.’ When I got there, I realized that not only am I not going to get what I want, I’m enslaved by what I created. And there’s no graceful exit here. That’s when the other side of my personality kicked in.

Ram27
08-20-2014, 05:32 PM
Billy makes things so incredibly complicated

Gooch
08-20-2014, 06:20 PM
He so Cray Cray!

Shallowed
08-20-2014, 06:24 PM
God, his eyes look so freaking weird in that photo. They're like empty sockets.

myosis
08-20-2014, 06:26 PM
he's just doing his impression of Monte

SPLATTER
08-20-2014, 07:07 PM
trim the eyebrows, old man

scottytheoneand
08-20-2014, 08:05 PM
i'm sick of his interviews

i don't want to read them anymore

scottytheoneand
08-20-2014, 08:07 PM
if he had a therapist he wouldn't blather on like this with interviewers

Trotskilicious
08-21-2014, 01:49 AM
it's pretty sad how you can read stuff this guy says and find that he doesn't even understand himself very well

he got over the need to be right? fucking when. he still wants to be on the cover of RS and he doesn't even realize it's nearly a completely useless pop culture dogshit rag that OCCASIONALLY aka RARELY publishes something relevant politically

panda show
08-21-2014, 01:54 AM
he was practicing jumpshots?

Trotskilicious
08-21-2014, 02:10 AM
well apparently not much if he couldn't get on a high school basketball team being as tall as he is

Trotskilicious
08-21-2014, 02:10 AM
i mean seriously being over 6-5 you're automatically in

SlingeroGuitaro
08-21-2014, 04:01 AM
He's white and from Chicago.

panda show
08-21-2014, 04:41 AM
well apparently not much if he couldn't get on a high school basketball team being as tall as he is>>He was also a remarkably talented
basketball player. We were playing backstage at a Shriner’s Club gig in Milwaukee during a sound
check, and my immediate read on Billy was “call, gangly, musical, nerdy intellectual,” not
“ballplayer.” But we started shooting around, and Billy stepped up and started draining outside
shots. (from anthony kiedis' autobiography)

Trotskilicious
08-21-2014, 04:58 AM
who is a totally credible source

Trotskilicious
08-21-2014, 05:02 AM
He's white and from Chicago.

quick wiki search shows that he went to glenbard north high school in a predominantly white suburb of chicago, which is also where he's from re: Elk Park and etc

so the racist stuff isn't necessary

Trotskilicious
08-21-2014, 05:05 AM
also i found out he was an honors student so i guess he's not as stupid as i thought, and really i was just being dramatic

but reading infowars causes irreversible brain damage

panda show
08-21-2014, 05:05 AM
http://www.netphoria.org/wp-content/gallery/billy-corgan/basketball2.jpg

Trotskilicious
08-21-2014, 05:07 AM
i dunno i'm just like, bewildered about how a tall guy in a chicago suburb high school didn't think he could get on the basketball team

T&T
08-21-2014, 08:11 AM
how is this an interview? It's like a bunch of catch ideas.

Forgotten Child
08-21-2014, 11:15 AM
The following feature is an expanded version of a story from the summer issue of our quarterly iPad magazine. Download our last three issues for free via our interactive app here (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/self-titled-magazine/id738759907)…

duovamp
08-21-2014, 12:21 PM
i dunno i'm just like, bewildered about how a tall guy in a chicago suburb high school didn't think he could get on the basketball team

Wasn't a team player?

duovamp
08-21-2014, 12:23 PM
Also Michael Jordan famously didn't make his high school varsity team at first either.

T&T
08-21-2014, 12:42 PM
so you're saying if billy stuck with it he'd be the MJ of basketball instead?

s0ss
08-21-2014, 12:56 PM
so you're saying if billy stuck with it he'd be the MJ of basketball instead?

Isn't MJ the MJ of basketball?

Araneae
08-21-2014, 01:09 PM
That was so fucking weird. He made a lot of matrix references.

Araneae
08-21-2014, 01:13 PM
lol

The generation coming up now isn’t interested in kissing the ring. They’ve inspired me to live my own life and do my own thing. In my own wacky way, my path is connecting with theirs.

There will come a day when a kid’s sitting in the Kurt Cobain seat again. Or the John Lennon seat. And those systems will come calling: ‘Time to kiss the ring; we’ll anoint you.’ And that kid’ll say, ‘You know what? I don’t want anything to do with your system.’ When that kid crosses the line, it’ll be like that moment in The Matrix where everything shatters. That kid—boy or girl—will break the system with the purity of their own heart.

reprise85
08-21-2014, 05:11 PM
i cant believe a guy in his 40s wrote that.

Araneae
08-21-2014, 05:15 PM
He's nearly 50 but he's still a man-child.

pavementtune
08-21-2014, 05:51 PM
He's nearly 50 but he's still a man-child.

Yes, but is that a bad thing, especially for an artist?
There are enough all grown-up super serious white male 50somethings.

Araneae
08-21-2014, 06:00 PM
Yes, but is that a bad thing, especially for an artist?
There are enough all grown-up super serious white male 50somethings.

I don't think an artist needs to be immature or childish in order to create or maintain their artistry, if that's what you're asking me. People change and grow up, and so should the art, at least I think so. It also doesn't necessarily mean that a mature person is "super serious," I think there's a fine line between being mature and being serious.

pavementtune
08-21-2014, 06:06 PM
No no, I wasn't implying you need to be childish to be good as an artist.
And sure, there is a line between being mature and being serious.

People change and grow up, and so should the art, at least I think so.
Personally I just don't value maturity and growing up that much, not in every aspect of any adult's private or professional life. Some just never "grow up" and why should they, thankfully we are all different.

Maybe I've just worked for so many man-childs, some of them 60-75, that I'm used to it and enjoy it more than working with "mature no bullshit feet on the ground " businessmen, don't know.

http://shi77yadvice.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/The-Gardener.jpg

Araneae
08-21-2014, 06:16 PM
No no, I wasn't implying you need to be childish to be good as an artist.
And sure, there is a line between being mature and being serious.

Personally I just don't value maturity that much, not in every aspect of any adult's private or professional life. Some just never "grow up" and why should they, thankfully we are all different.

In that we differ, especially when it comes to certain types of relationships. At the heart of it, we all need to "grow up" at some point, painful as that can be.

Maybe I've just worked for so many man-childs, some of them 60-75, that I'm used to it and enjoy it more than working with "mature no bullshit feet on the ground " businessmen, don't know.

It depends, I've worked with both types. I prefer a mature person who also knows how/when to relax and joke around. It doesn't have to be one or the other, and it rarely ever is.

But this really doesn't have much to do with the topic at hand, I was just making a remark after reading that particular quote…I mean, honestly, who the hell says this, "That kid—boy or girl—will break the system with the purity of their own heart"?

pavementtune
08-21-2014, 06:23 PM
I mean, honestly, who the hell says this, "That kid—boy or girl—will break the system with the purity of their own heart"?

A romantic dreamer believing in Peter Pan?
Sorry it's late, my brain is farting, I better watch Alice in Wonderland.

Araneae
08-21-2014, 06:35 PM
More like someone slipped the blue pill into that green goop he drinks every morning.