View Full Version : Oceania Guitar Sound Appreciation Thread

Ram27
08-02-2014, 01:16 PM
So much better than the pseudo-metal tone on Zeitgeist.

houseofglass11
08-02-2014, 01:24 PM
Uh, no. Oceania has hands down the worst guitar tones of any pumpkins album. Zeitgeist had better toanz

fuzzyroes
08-02-2014, 02:10 PM
The Zeitgeist guitar tone was awesome. It was just the vocals that ruined the whole thing.

Poots
08-02-2014, 02:41 PM
I haven't heard much of Oceania but the Zeitgeist guitar tone was in more of a scooped metal vein. Not my cup of tea. Billy has always been a master of super-saturated guitars so it surprises me when I hear a tone of his that I dislike. Machina also had some (I think intentional) bad heavy guitar tones.

Forgotten Child
08-02-2014, 03:07 PM
Zeitgeist guitar tone is really weird. I also prefer Oceania guitar tone, and the riffs as well.

Funny how now people decided to hate on Oceania and show some love to Zeitgeist.

Order 66
08-02-2014, 03:20 PM
zietgeist sounded kind of neuterd for something thats supposed to 'crush your soul with metal' or whatever

one of my fav things about oceania are the guitar tones. thats one thing they got right on that album

Poots
08-02-2014, 04:17 PM
That was always Corgan's strong suit--getting great guitar sounds to tape. And of course , songwriting. Even if some of the songwriting quality has slipped, he still knows how to make a guitar sound fucking ripping. If they don't sound good, it's by design, probably in the name of something "new". Fuck new, give me Siamese Dream guitars and he can write whatever shit aboubt alchemy and glass and kalidescopes he wants.

Ram27
08-02-2014, 04:22 PM
I don't get why there's such a stigma in this fandom, or in music in general, about wanting more of an old sound. Just because it's not 'pushing the envelope' and all that bullshit rhetoric doesn't mean it's not good.

scottytheoneand
08-02-2014, 07:07 PM
oceania guitar is good. Lyrics not so good.

problem with Zeitgeist is it's all riffs and not much else. didn't sound like a step forward. more like an amplification of the weaker parts of Machina

ButtHash
08-02-2014, 07:08 PM
When the riff comes in on Pinwheels. Oooof. That tone is insane.

milk-plus
08-02-2014, 09:57 PM
When the riff comes in on Pinwheels. Oooof. That tone is insane.

Yeah, the guitars on that song are awesome. I think the song had potential.

aztec litany service
08-13-2014, 03:20 AM
ok i've listened to oceania maybe twice all through and never paid much attn to the songs, so i just did now to say i did..here's my useless opinion on them

quasar - can't decide if it's underdeveloped or overdeveloped, an awkward jam trying to be in the "classic sp style". vague, repetitive, rambling rock jam about saying 'right on' and 'vie yow' or whatever a lot

panopticon - feels more like a song. "don't make me SUFFER" feels like an actual lyric. drums work. nothing that feels like a chorus. rambling.

the celestials - melody goes somewhere, this promises to be a song. there should be one more beat before "til the end" comes in. let's be arty and take it out. mellotron or whatever it is is unnecessary. fuzz guitars sound good. "never let your thoughts run free" followed by "everything i want is free" ...just doesn't work for me. could've been decent

violet rays - feels kinda Rush, or something. more rambling. another song that feels like a bunch of bridges strung together with no choruses or memorable hooks.

my love is winter - i remember this being slower when i saw them in 09 or 10. a hook, sort of. ok. still doesn't feel distinctive enough. like a less memorable 'widow wake my mind'

one diamond, one heart - more synths, ok. nothing wrong w/ that. sounds like latter day u2 with some older new wave thrown in. rambles.

pinwheels - harmonies are nice. intro is too long. too much repetition. all in all, pleasant and somewhat inspired, nothing amazing

oceania - batman theme. this song is about batman going to new zealand and being kicked off the LOTR set. uh..really prog here. where is this song going. idk, it's pleasant. the solo around 6:30 is nice, this leads into a cool instrumental section. song feels like it was done to prove they could do a long "epic", but it's just there, in the background, floating round the ocean, dolphins jumping up now and then. not bad, not extremely memorable.

pale horse - a horse rode away with his thorazine and he wants it to come back?

the chimera - fuzzz. feels really zwan. finally some hooks. a song. not a great one, but there it is.

glissandra - another decent unassuming slightly proggy song. "i used to know" is the most noticable line in the song...ugh. i feel like there should be more lyrics in between "i used to know" and the next line.

inkless - more rambling vocals. these songs feel like they are going to be ..pop rock songs. so you're paying attn to the vocals and waiting for it, but it's not there. jams that almost became songs.

wildflower - i feel like i'm about to be released from oceania jail. batman has been jailed for disturbing the peace while tripping on something, and he's recounting how he got wasted on the way to reach oceania, but ended up in jail. as he is released and is walking the highway back into town he sees some wildflowers and realizes his life is like that of a wildflower, always chasing the sunshine but happiest in the dark.

well, at least the production was good. it's a generally inoffensive album you can put on in the background. first bit that returned to my mind after it was over was the "mistress of the sun" part in pinwheels. that moment had a nice feeling. a pleasant, chill, peaceful song.

houseofglass11
08-13-2014, 03:42 AM
pale horse - a horse rode away with his thorazine and he wants it to come back?

From what I can tell 'Pale Horse' is a song about his mother. Thorazine is an anti-psychotic drug they give in mental institutions that really subdues patients and essentially zombifies them. There was an interview where BC was asked what the lyrics of 'Pale Horse' were about and he absolutely refused to discuss the song.

Some of the lyrics give it away too:
"A runaway life
So many lies
When they locked you up, they shut me out
Gave me the key so I could show you round
Yet we were not allowed"

Probably the best song on Oceania in my opinion.

Trotskilicious
08-13-2014, 03:46 AM
DAY GIV U DIS
DEY TAKE AWAY DAT
PALE HARSE
PALE HARSE

aztec litany service
08-13-2014, 03:50 AM
From what I can tell 'Pale Horse' is a song about his mother. Thorazine is an anti-psychotic drug they give in mental institutions that really subdues patients and essentially zombifies them. There was an interview where BC was asked what the lyrics of 'Pale Horse' was about and he absolutely refused to discuss the song.

Some of the lyrics give it away too:
"A runaway life
So many lies
When they locked you up, they shut me out
Gave me the key so I could show you round
Yet we were not allowed"

Probably the best song on Oceania in my opinion.
egh, that's really sad. i wish it was just about a horse stealing his drugs.

Trotskilicious
08-13-2014, 03:54 AM
ZEITGEIST SUCKS YOU NU METAL FUCKHEADS

Trotskilicious
08-13-2014, 03:55 AM
zietgeist sounded kind of neuterd for something thats supposed to 'crush your soul with metal' or whatever

one of my fav things about oceania are the guitar tones. thats one thing they got right on that album

he plays it safe now because he wants to be famous again but he doesn't get that's not what made him famous in the first place and also that he can't have that back

oceiainiear is really safe too like he's deliberately wanting this album to be sold at starbucks or some FUCKING BULLSHIT

houseofglass11
08-13-2014, 03:58 AM
Oceania isn't being sold anywhere. Where can you even buy a CD these days? CALM YOUR TITS.

Elphenor
08-13-2014, 04:06 AM
Oceania is okay.

But I never feel the need to listen to it.

aztec litany service
08-13-2014, 04:26 AM
ZEITGEIST SUCKS YOU NU METAL FUCKHEADS

i wish zg had been more nu metal than whatever it was. maybe that would've been interesting. probably not.

Trotskilicious
08-13-2014, 04:59 AM
you're the guy who thinks stone temple pilots is a legit band

fuzzyroes
08-13-2014, 05:58 AM
STP's a knockoff band, but they have some great songs. They're in the same boat as Bush. I've seen STP live a couple of times; great musicianship, they put on a good show.

Atleast they're not some Days of the New, Seven Mary 3, Hootie and the blowfish type of deal.

fuzzyroes
08-13-2014, 05:59 AM
I still find "Plush" hilarious though. Talk about a carbon-copy Vedder rip-off right off the bat.

houseofglass11
08-13-2014, 12:43 PM
Sorry but 'Purple' and 'Tiny Music' are both great albums. Excellent guitar work and riffs on both. Trots, you're such a conceited dickwad.

Slurpee
08-13-2014, 01:01 PM
The vocal sound on both albums is so, so bad, that I can barely listen to the guitars.

Forgotten Child
08-13-2014, 04:07 PM
vocals on Oceania are good and the addition of Nicole's vocals makes it even better. I still think Billy should yuse more vocal effects tho.

aztec litany service
08-16-2014, 11:25 AM
Hootie and the blowfish.
another good band.

aeroplume
08-16-2014, 07:46 PM
at least we still have queens of the stone age.

slunken
08-16-2014, 09:31 PM
It cracks me up when people talk about mainstream 90s radio rock music in the sense of "oh so-and-so popular band was a total knock-off band off x_popular_band"

Its like those crusty white dudes in ponytails going "the eagles were a total rip off of CSNY" or "the monkees were just a beatles by-product"

it just makes me laugh that - rock and roll music, arguably the least imaginitive form of traditional instrumental and vocal music - seems to have such narrow minded fans that cling any sort of shred of "originality" or "innovation"

fuzzyroes
08-17-2014, 04:07 PM
another good band.

hahaha riiighht.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/xoW3bqnr7tw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You can just imagine some record label big wig sitting in the office going: "Eddie Veddar and his band are the biggest thing right now, and they have somewhat edgy lyrics. If we can get a guy that sounds like him and entirely dumb-down the lyrics then we'll hit a gold-mine!"

So what we get is some guy aping Veddar singing "holllllllllld my hand!" for his chorus.

Hootie and the Blowfish are disgraceful

fuzzyroes
08-17-2014, 04:10 PM
marge

fuzzyroes
08-17-2014, 04:11 PM
It cracks me up when people talk about mainstream 90s radio rock music in the sense of "oh so-and-so popular band was a total knock-off band off x_popular_band"

Its like those crusty white dudes in ponytails going "the eagles were a total rip off of CSNY" or "the monkees were just a beatles by-product"

it just makes me laugh that - rock and roll music, arguably the least imaginitive form of traditional instrumental and vocal music - seems to have such narrow minded fans that cling any sort of shred of "originality" or "innovation"

I don't think anyones clinging to anything at all. But when theres a good band that blows up in the mainstream, it doesn't take a music theologian to realize who's just aping said band after the fact.

absof
08-17-2014, 04:46 PM
hahaha riiighht.

You can just imagine some record label big wig sitting in the office going: "Eddie Veddar and his band are the biggest thing right now, and they have somewhat edgy lyrics. If we can get a guy that sounds like him and entirely dumb-down the lyrics then we'll hit a gold-mine!"

So what we get is some guy aping Veddar singing "holllllllllld my hand!" for his chorus.

Hootie and the Blowfish are disgraceful

*Vedder! Do some research.

Mals Marola
10-18-2014, 02:29 AM
Zeitgeist guitar tone is really weird. I also prefer Oceania guitar tone, and the riffs as well.

Funny how now people decided to hate on Oceania and show some love to Zeitgeist.

how is that funny it happens almost literally every record lol

dodoz
10-18-2014, 07:11 AM
quasar - can't decide if it's underdeveloped or overdeveloped, an awkward jam trying to be in the "classic sp style". vague, repetitive, rambling rock jam about saying 'right on' and 'vie yow' or whatever a lot

Don't forget "Yes I ! Yes I ! Yes I !" rastafariiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii Bill

I didn't like the guitar tones on this album, i didn't like the songs, the vocals, the drumming. Well, I didn't like "Oceania".:dammit:

As for the pseudo metal sound, it was already there on the 2000 farewell tour. One of my problems with this tour.

Mals Marola
10-18-2014, 02:32 PM
i didn't really like or care about oceania at all until a couple of days ago, when i actually listened to the back half of it

i mean, vocally it's still kind of retarded, like come on just let go and sing already
but the music's not bad at all, glissandra's great actually. there are a couple that are good despite whatever billy's trying to do with the lyrics and singing but really, it's incredible that '95/'96 was the time he thought he was "holding the band back" why not realize that only really started happening recently