View Full Version : Netphoria Still Loves You, Billy.

Woody
07-19-2014, 01:18 PM
margin

Woody
07-19-2014, 01:18 PM
Hearing about Billy's failing health and disillusionment with music left me concerned. I don't want a man breaking into bad peanut brittle on my hands. Not on my watch.

So I thought it was worth addressing the man directly, on behalf of Netphoria (I mean, I've posted here for fifteen years so I'm a self-appointed speaker and don't really know or give a crap about any of you other nutjobs).

Netphoria might not have always connected with the music over the last fifteen years. They might have been the harshest critics. Like myself, they might have launched repeated, unflinching personal attacks against Billy for everything he currently stands for, and justifiably so, but... and it's a crucial but... the world would be a whole lot duller place if there weren't eccentric celebrities like Billy taking chances, doing unpredictable and downright nonsensical things and along the way creating some mind-meltingly brilliant, and sometimes preposterously awful music.

I say to Billy, take every criticism with salt and a smile. Screw those fans, especially netphorians, whoever they are, and keep ploughing that creative mine into the unfathomable. It may strike gold again one day, but at least you can say you did it your way, the WPC way.

Go get 'em tiger!

http://www.spin.com/sites/all/files/styles/style620_413/public/120313-billy-corgan.png

Rider
07-19-2014, 01:22 PM
He's been making up medical conditions and crying about music and the business for well over a decade.

Gooch
07-19-2014, 01:30 PM
If he DIED of kidney failure . . . . would his records sell????

Araneae
07-19-2014, 02:25 PM
Every one should know by now that Billy loves drama, complaining and that he's a hypochondriac.

slunken
07-19-2014, 02:27 PM
I'll make sure Billy reads this u guys

redbull
07-19-2014, 02:56 PM
"netphoria is bullshit"

- billy corgan

DaveKShape
07-19-2014, 03:28 PM
Do you really think that Corgan's kidneys are actually failing? An acupuncture guy told him this. You know, as opposed to a medical doctor looking at bloodwork.

MusicMan4
07-19-2014, 03:29 PM
if i donated my kidney to billy do you think i'd have an even bigger "in" than montelds

amoergosum
07-19-2014, 03:50 PM
http://www.rickey.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Billy-Corgan-Cat-Magazine.png

http://gifsoup.com/view6/3823969/corgan-dance-h.gif

themadcaplaughs
07-19-2014, 04:05 PM
Do you really think that Corgan's kidneys are actually failing? An acupuncture guy told him this. You know, as opposed to a medical doctor looking at bloodwork.

I noticed that when I read his post about that. He used to also only drink water that was blessed by his mystic. He's a strange dude.

scottytheoneand
07-19-2014, 08:42 PM
I want my rock stars to be weird. Crazy if possible. Rock n roll is not for the average or the sane.

D.
07-19-2014, 08:48 PM
SHUT

THE

FUCK UP

SCOTTY

D.
07-19-2014, 08:48 PM
goddamn

SlingeroGuitaro
07-19-2014, 11:17 PM
if i donated my kidney to billy do you think i'd have an even bigger "in" than montelds

he would just say that he grew it himself.

Elphenor
07-19-2014, 11:33 PM
Young Billy is still the fucking coolest.

Elphenor
07-19-2014, 11:35 PM
Everytime I see an old school picture my fanboyism tingles just a little.

Trotskilicious
07-20-2014, 02:55 AM
i like you wally, because you like future of the left

wHATcOLOR
07-20-2014, 03:47 AM
is there a link to the info about the health stuff you guys are referencing?

thanks

Shallowed
07-20-2014, 04:00 AM
On his website updates, he mentioned something about his kidneys.

He also fainted in the middle of a song during a show.

T&T
07-20-2014, 04:19 AM
RIP in peace Billy Corgan.
http://i.imgur.com/cVcIeQq.jpg

Trotskilicious
07-20-2014, 05:21 AM
i think bad vibes give you cancer so bill's probably gonna get it

Araneae
07-20-2014, 05:48 AM
That's probably true since Billy knows that cancer is caused by depression.

smashingjj
07-20-2014, 05:49 AM
he would just say that he grew it himself.

it is possible i was born without kidneys and now i have eighty-seven. all home grown :smoke:

Trotskilicious
07-20-2014, 05:53 AM
we're gonna do that to goats

amoergosum
07-20-2014, 10:39 AM
Retweeted by Billy >>>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="de"><p>Transiting Moon in Taurus opposite Saturn Rx in Scorpio: the safety of habitual denial.</p>&mdash; Nadia Gilchrist (@NadiaGilchrist) <a href="https://twitter.com/NadiaGilchrist/statuses/490823116054994945">20. Juli 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="de"><p>Almost done uploading the main set of the July 18th 2007, Smashing Pumpkins show. <a href="http://t.co/J0liXCX0U7">http://t.co/J0liXCX0U7</a></p>&mdash; MonteLDS (@MonteLDS) <a href="https://twitter.com/MonteLDS/statuses/490701423642820608">20. Juli 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Rider
07-20-2014, 10:41 AM
I noticed that when I read his post about that. He used to also only drink water that was blessed by his mystic. He's a strange dude.

Oh it's way nuttier then that. It mystic imported Japanese water and he had to take sips of it like one second apart and ring a chime. This was the first thing I ever heard him talk about that made realize he had really lost the plot.

amoergosum
07-20-2014, 10:50 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/B0Ja5Q4n48I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/DpCO-wE0lIo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/kxvJIQrz_bY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/NAjIQBCKVF8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

thedeadofnight
07-20-2014, 11:24 AM
http://37.media.tumblr.com/f7c28e019b1a1f4cc2b2e150d16b9867/tumblr_mx9krupAz91s78aqfo3_400.gif

Ram27
07-20-2014, 11:40 AM
Why is the crowd louder than the music?

panda show
07-20-2014, 02:14 PM
for some reason I just can't listen to/watch any of the 2007/2008 onstage banter.. even though there ain't a lot of it, for some reason it's just so embarrassing to me..

Ram27
07-20-2014, 03:06 PM
I don't even listen to recordings that aren't from 93-96 or 99-00. No point.

redbull
07-20-2014, 04:21 PM
Why is the crowd louder than the music?

no good tapes of that show (and about half the other fillmore dates)

redbull
07-20-2014, 04:21 PM
I don't even listen to recordings that aren't from 93-96 or 99-00. No point.

but 92 and 98 are their best live years

panda show
07-20-2014, 05:11 PM
actually I mostly watch/listen to 91-98 stuff, I think I pretty much watched/listened to every 91-92 show.. man was that some awesome stuff..

it just happens that I once watched that last show from the '08 tour, which had some banter, and then seeing the video from last page, I thought of the somewhat cringe-worthy banter.

null123
07-20-2014, 06:13 PM
Billy has always been pretty New Age, he talked about stuff like that in the early 90s too. Can't think of a specific example off hand though I remember there being some pretty telling interviews. His interest astrology is probably the most obvious sign.

Trotskilicious
07-20-2014, 07:03 PM
new age people are usually interested in hinduism, so "siva" is pretty good indicator already

T&T
07-20-2014, 08:02 PM
and he shaved his head. obviously.

slunken
07-20-2014, 08:45 PM
Tarot cards, witch doctors

smashingjj
07-20-2014, 09:05 PM
tarot cards which doctors what?

slunken
07-20-2014, 09:11 PM
Palm readers, william burroughs

CrabbMan
07-20-2014, 09:44 PM
tarot cards which doctors what?

From Vieuphoria:

D'arcy: I'm sorry if I...I don't mean to be insulting at all, I just don't think that any amount of therapy is ever going to help this band. Jimmy is...is incredibly paranoid all of the time, and James, it's a different thing with him every week, it's, you know, one week he thought that his dog was possessed, and Billy just flew off the handle, and just couldn't take it anymore, so he said, you know, 'Well fine, let's get a witch doctor then.' So we went to a witch doctor. And next month it was the tarot card reader, you know...

Shallowed
07-20-2014, 10:29 PM
A couple of days and a harrowing plane flight later, the band makes it to a resort town called Surfer’s Paradise, which is more or less the Miami Beach of Australia, a skinny coastal town about an hour south of Brisbane, pounded by waves and plagued with jellyfish, crowded with high-rise hotels popular with Japanese honeymooners. Surfer’s Paradise is the jumping-off point for the Big Day Out tour, a sort of Australian Lollapalooza that Soundgarden will headline this year. In the lobby bar of one of the tallest hotels, Cornell and Thayil are settling back with a couple of beers when Billy Corgan from Smashing Pumpkins wanders through, and decides to join them for a strawberry margarita. Corgan chatters about the pain of his life, the supposed incompetence of his band (everybody rolls their eyes), the lifesaving virtues of Jungian therapy, bands that suck. Cornell gets up to leave. Corgan tells Thayil how important Soundgarden used to be to him, and he baits him by saying that the Pumpkins sometimes do a cover of Soundgarden’s “Outshined” that segues into a Depeche Mode song or something.

“I’m thinking of making my next album really new wave,” Corgan says, “like ’83-’84 new wave, not like Berlin. I spend all my time doing things that may be a bit tangential, but I think I’m going to go back to the core, the heart music. Echo and the Bunnymen.”

This is standard stuff to anybody who has read even a single Billy Corgan profile, the basic curriculum of Pumpkins 101. But Thayil isn’t buying. He’s sore.

“Don’t you see,” Thayil says, “you’re this incredibly talented guy. People like your music. You have a good band. You sell a lot of records. You don’t need all this…stuff.”

“What sign are you?” Corgan asks.

“What do you mean, what sign am I?” Thayil says. “What difference could that possibly make?”

“C’mon,” wheedles Corgan, “when is your birthday?”

“All right, goddamn it: September 4th.”

“Aha!” Corgan says. “A Virgo. You’re argumentative.”

“Damn right, I’m argumentative,” Thayil says, and takes a long, angry pulll at his beer, “which you should know because I’ve been arguing with you for half an hour, not because of any sign.”

“I’m a Pisces,” Corgan replies. “We pick up on those things.”

A minute later, Corgan, still probing, finally finds the key to Thayil’s heart: “I hate how in magazine pictures, they always stick me somewhere in the back.”

Thayil explodes: “What do you mean? You write all the songs, and you do all the interviews. You play the instruments on the album. You control the band to the extent that most people think of Smashing Pumpkins as the Billy Corgan Experience, and all you care about is some photograph?”

“But I hate it,” Corgan says, “it means they don’t think I’m the cute one.”

“Ooh,” Thayil says a little too loudly as Corgan walks away, “I’ll bet he’s going to call his therapist in Chicago, wake her up at four in the morning, and tell her about that big, mean bear who made fun of him.”

The next day at the Big Day Out festival, Thayil is talking to Kim and Kelley Deal in the Breeders’ dressing room when Corgan walks past wearing a long-sleeved Superman T-shirt like the one your four-year-old nephew probably owns.

“You hurt me deeply,” Corgan says, touching the giant S on his chest and pouting. “You hurt me deeply in my heart.” The Pumpkins go on to play the best set anybody has ever heard them play, their usual passiveness and precision overlaid with an unfamiliar scrim of anger that throws their music into brilliant relief.

Ram27
07-20-2014, 10:35 PM
From Vieuphoria:

That whole thing is a joke though

Ram27
07-20-2014, 10:37 PM
You wanna go to the circus, and to get into the circus it costs you five … pence. So, you stand in line, you don't have five pence, but you really wanna go to the circus. So someone comes along and says, "Well, I'll take you in the circus and I'll pay the five pence, but you gotta pay me back later." So, you go in the circus, they take you out. "Oh, OK, well, when you gonna pay me back?" "I don't know. I'll get around to it sooner or later." … That's the story of the band.

Gooch
07-20-2014, 11:15 PM
It's "I'll pay you back July 8 or 9th" and then silence . . .

panda show
07-21-2014, 07:00 AM
You wanna go to the circus, and to get into the circus it costs you five pence. So, you stand in line, you don't have five pence, but you really wanna go to the circus. So someone comes along and says, "Well, I'll take you in the circus and I'll pay the five pence, but you gotta pay me back later." So, you go in the circus, they take you out. "Oh, OK, well, when you gonna pay me back?" "I don't know. I'll get around to it sooner or later." That's the story of the band.there's actually an uncut broadcast up on youtube with more footage than the vieuphoria version:
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Iv2MIYhWnJI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

the collective band.. and its collective footwear.. puts me at odds with them

Funbags
07-21-2014, 08:17 AM

Not entirely sure it was though :erm:

Rider
07-21-2014, 08:17 AM

People always claim this but I don't buy for a second that it was a joke. Yeah in '94 I could write it off as a joke but now I don't think it was a joke at all. If it was a joke at the time Billy sure tried hard to turn himself into the over analytic sensitive new age dipshit he was playing at being in the interview.

Funbags
07-21-2014, 08:23 AM
If it was a joke, no one told Jimmy. His answers seemed genuine. Same with Billy.

Shallowed
07-21-2014, 09:55 AM
James seems to be the only one making an overt joke of it. Jimmy's session hits a bit close to home. But then why put this on Vieuphoria?

panda show
07-21-2014, 10:44 AM
well, billy sounds serious, at least in the video posted above.. especially when he says "people take advantage of personal relationships to take advantage of not doing their work in their professional relationship"
jimmy kind of sounds honest, although the thing about the haircut sounds really stupid
d'arcy definitely wasn't joking about anything
james was the only one making a joke out of it..
But then why put this on Vieuphoria?I guess they cut out only the "funny" parts and put them on Vieuphoria.. I mean, they didn't put any parts in which they're obviously dead-serious..

Butt Pope
07-23-2014, 05:45 PM
Fruck you (an ode to no one)

sniffingchimp
07-23-2014, 08:46 PM
Regards the "therapy" session - Billy is the only one who is probably being snide and using the opportunity to make some snide comments veiled as playing along with the joke.

But the whole thing is a piss take - can't believe anyone thinks these are serious. Especially Jimmy, it's totally played for laughs for fuck sake.

Ram27
07-23-2014, 11:00 PM
I really can't tell now if they're just bad actors or serious.

Billy and D'arcy definitely sounded serious. Maybe Jimmy, at least at first. James is goofing around like usual.

sniffingchimp
07-23-2014, 11:11 PM
I really can't tell now if they're just bad actors or serious.

Billy and D'arcy definitely sounded serious. Maybe Jimmy, at least at first. James is goofing around like usual.

They're all pretty dry humour-wise in any old school interviews, no-one taking it seriously at all in that interview (save Billy who I still think is having a little dig at the rest).

The Omega Concern
07-24-2014, 12:06 AM
Palm readers, william burroughs

A Course in Miracles by Schucman and Thetford. He cited this once. Just wondering if since then he found out the authors themselves disavowed it years later.

Trotskilicious
07-24-2014, 01:39 AM
pretty sure bill is an ares

edit well no, in fact

fuzzyroes
05-15-2015, 07:37 AM
This is a thread dedicated to the artist who's poured his heart out for us time and time again to supply us with the songs that act as a soundtrack for our lives.

A lot of people like to poke fun at Bill, but he's been the artist continuously providing us with music to enjoy- and frankly- I think the artist is an absolute genius

So please join my tribute, my appreciation and thankfulness of the passion Billy pours out in his music for us all to enjoy.

Long live SP

fuzzyroes
05-15-2015, 07:42 AM
I think we all let our own lives get in the way regarding are evaluation of Billy. But theres been no other artist in the last 20 years that I'd be excited to follow and listen to all of the music.

Corgan's work will stand the test of time and he'll go down in the same thoughts as Robert Smith or Neil Young

FoolofaTook
05-15-2015, 07:42 AM
u know a thread is going places when the second post is made by the original poster.

bunny
05-15-2015, 07:45 AM
R.I.P. in peace Billy Corgan.

FoolofaTook
05-15-2015, 07:55 AM
bunny r u a hot babe?

FoolofaTook
05-15-2015, 07:56 AM
asian cougar perhaps?

freshfacedyouth
05-15-2015, 02:58 PM
you know a thread is going places when fuzzy makes it

Woody
05-15-2015, 05:33 PM
u know a thread is going places when the second post is made by the original poster.

O do u?

Shallowed
05-15-2015, 06:55 PM
This thread was made less than a year ago and I'd already forgotten about what health issues Billy was facing. It's not an issue that's cropped up since.if i donated my kidney to billy do you think i'd have an even bigger "in" than monteldshe would just say that he grew it himself.<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fmZGwtPVwN0?start=54" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Modern90's
05-15-2015, 08:43 PM
Young Billy is still the fucking coolest.

Everytime I see an old school picture my fanboyism tingles just a little.
i agree its depressing that were now stuck with fat lump of shit.

Shallowed
05-15-2015, 09:00 PM
Billy has always been an asshole

vajohna
05-16-2015, 06:39 PM
Billy has always been an asshole

/thread, /board, /band

Elphenor
05-16-2015, 07:04 PM
Yeah but he was a cool and talented asshole

SlingeroGuitaro
05-16-2015, 07:06 PM
Don't listen to these bitches, Billy. We hate you more than ever.