View Full Version : Watch A Song Die

slunken
07-17-2014, 04:46 PM
margin?

slunken
07-17-2014, 04:46 PM
in 3 years (chronological order).

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/VnRHAbcD6nw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/3rH0Mjhmowg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Vdyrww5saRA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Spira|_
07-17-2014, 05:09 PM
First version is pretty good! Teargarden one kills it. Last one is a little better than studio...
The first one reminds a lot Zwan vibes.

Maybe the weight of SP name crashes the songs (which are not awesome from the beginning but...).
If Billy was doing all this alone with his name or other name/project the things would had been better I think.

Spira|_
07-17-2014, 05:14 PM
With SP name the things are unatural because Billy just wants to justify SP is good, people listen to the albums, buy them etc. He focus on this too much and then devirtualize the own music...

Order 66
07-17-2014, 05:18 PM
hate to be Minority Opinion Man all the time but i really liked the studio version. still good as an acoustic anthem but its better with a little muscle

there are tons of instances where the studio version wasn't optimal but i think "billy ruins songs in the studio" is sort of an overblown meme

Rider
07-17-2014, 05:27 PM
hate to be Minority Opinion Man all the time but i really liked the studio version. still good as an acoustic anthem but its better with a little muscle

there are tons of instances where the studio version wasn't optimal but i think "billy ruins songs in the studio" is sort of an overblown meme

If there was every song that did not need a loud distorted guitar in top on the mix it's this song.

Order 66
07-17-2014, 05:39 PM
i do think teargarden should've ran with the whole folky hippy angle it hinted at, which the spirits in the sky versions did a lot better. but in this instance i think a more in your face approach worked better.. i mean rewind to 2010 when this song dropped if we got something similar to the original version honestly i would've been a little meh after waiting months for a new song. but opinions are like assholes ect

slunken
07-17-2014, 05:53 PM
i do think teargarden should've ran with the whole folky hippy angle it hinted at, which the spirits in the sky versions did a lot better.

this

GLOWer
07-17-2014, 06:02 PM
i do think teargarden should've ran with the whole folky hippy angle it hinted at, which the spirits in the sky versions did a lot better. but in this instance i think a more in your face approach worked better.. i mean rewind to 2010 when this song dropped if we got something similar to the original version honestly i would've been a little meh after waiting months for a new song. but opinions are like assholes ect

that would've been interesting and unique in Corgan's catalogue, but yeah, the studio version is fine. the songs that really suck on TGBK are the inherently bad tunes with bad structures, not decently written songs like Freak. plus the distortion actually sounds really cool, especially after the horrible sounding "rock record" Zeitgeist.

it's too bad Billy didn't get around to recording Emerald Green, Circular Change and West Coast. he could have had a nice 14 track record had he compiled all of the spirits tunes, combined with the Backwards Clock stuff.

fuzzyroes
07-17-2014, 06:30 PM
I like the studio version too. Aside from Tom Tom, I think this was the only other worthwhile song on the whole TBK project.

At the time, things looked like they were starting to look up a bit... Then it all came crashing down with Owata and Lightning Crashes.

Forgotten Child
07-17-2014, 06:39 PM
The first one is meh
The second one is meh
The third one is meh

T&T
07-17-2014, 06:55 PM
The first one is meh
The second one is meh
The third one is meh

this.

navarro on acoustic is definitely the best, but nothing much different.

Spira|_
07-17-2014, 08:19 PM
it's too bad Billy didn't get around to recording Emerald Green, Circular Change and West Coast. he could have had a nice 14 track record had he compiled all of the spirits tunes, combined with the Backwards Clock stuff.

And Caroline as well. Somewhere that time Billy wrote some gems, he could had record a decent album from it. All songs out of SP name...
SP name does not allow Billy write good stuff.

inkless
11-13-2015, 02:32 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAFxWrYoo-w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RACfdjCWuzU&list=RDRACfdjCWuzU

but i like too in watch dogs..

BurtSampson
11-13-2015, 10:43 PM
Mike Byrne is the worst professional drummer of all time. Also remember when people would call this song Freak USA

themadcaplaughs
11-13-2015, 11:01 PM
I still think the best performance of "Freak" was that very first Spirits in the Sky performance: the one that was a memorial for Sky Saxon. It had a loose but energetic feel that really gave me a shimmering hope Corgan could pull it together.

Ram27
11-14-2015, 12:32 AM
Mikey Burns has the worst style

That vibe on the first version is so refreshing compared to everything else the past 13ish years

redbreegull
11-14-2015, 01:50 AM
the first one is the best by far

also the sticker in Hebrew on his guitar is יהוה – YHVH or Yahweh, the unpronounceable name of God in the Hebrew Bible.

Slurpee
11-16-2015, 03:35 PM
General rule with post-2000 Billy is the songs are best acoustic and unadorned with his soul-burning metal.

dreams of glass
11-17-2015, 07:06 AM
the first one is the best by far

also the sticker in Hebrew on his guitar is יהוה YHVH or Yahweh, the unpronounceable name of God in the Hebrew Bible.

also each letter has a name, as well as numerical value

Y = Yod (pronounced Yode)

H = He (pronounced Hey)

V = Vau (pronounced Vow)

part of the lyrics in Quasar ******* this plus the Hindu OM

Yod He Vau He Om

Cool As Ice Cream
11-17-2015, 07:14 AM

numerical value, eh? 1979?

zbeast78
11-19-2015, 04:17 PM
I thought the residency version of Owata was pleasant enough. Then I heard the teargarden version, and it was so terrible that i went back and confirmed the residency version was ruined.

reprise85
11-19-2015, 07:01 PM
<3 the margin post throwback. never4get

dreams of glass
11-20-2015, 01:27 AM
numerical value, eh? 1979?

Y= 10

H = 5

V = 6

YHVH

10 + 5 + 6 +5 = 26

1 + 9 + 7 +9 = 26

well done

Cool As Ice Cream
11-20-2015, 02:17 AM
yay

enthusaroo
11-20-2015, 02:34 AM
you know what is what but you dont know what is what. what the fuck. what the fuck

Mals Marola
11-20-2015, 02:43 AM
if only corgan had the sense to capitalize on this with a jay-z-esque "song die"
tear garden song 44, it has been written

T&T
11-20-2015, 07:16 AM
The first one is meh
The second one is meh
The third one is meh

this.

navarro on acoustic is definitely the best, but nothing much different.

FoolofaTook
11-23-2015, 09:00 AM
lol u guys watched that shit

lolol u guys!

redbreegull
11-23-2015, 01:25 PM

Y = Yod (pronounced Yode)

H = He (pronounced Hey)

V = Vau (pronounced Vow)

part of the lyrics in Quasar ******* this plus the Hindu OM

Yod He Vau He Om

yeah, the letter names he sings in Quasar are maybe Aramaic. In modern Hebrew those letters are י = yud ה = hey ו = vav ה = hey

I have no idea about the numerology. The idea is that in ancient times this word had a known pronunciation, but that it was lost when the Jews left the Holy Land or what have you because Hebrew is not generally written with the vowel symbols, they are simply implied.

redbreegull
11-23-2015, 01:27 PM
but I have heard other people alternately say that the word is supposed to be impossible to pronounce to represent the ineffable nature of God so go figure