View Full Version : the national

noyen
07-13-2014, 11:51 PM
someone guide me to their best songs/albums. i just heard them for the first time tonight. 4 songs from their latest and i fucking love it. kinda stupid but i don't listen to a lot of music outside of my comfort zone of what i've been naturally exposed to or stumble upon so it takes me forever to reach bands that have probably been popular for 10 years. recommenced me some of their best, people who know are in the know.

noyen
07-13-2014, 11:52 PM
fucking hell there is no point to starting a thread here anymore. butter margarine bullshit buttfuck clithammer.

delete. abort mission.

redbull
07-13-2014, 11:54 PM
album wise, start with either Boxer or High Violet

songs:
Mr November
Fake Empire
Green Gloves
Secret Meeting
Bloodbuzz Ohio

noyen
07-13-2014, 11:55 PM
sweet thank you. i'm all over trouble will find me right now. like it so much.

redbull
07-13-2014, 11:56 PM
tbh there's not a better song in their entire discography than Fake Empire

I think I'm just horribly biased towards that album in general though, it's what got me into them

noyen
07-13-2014, 11:57 PM
putting that on queue next and see what happens if my skin tingles.

noyen
07-14-2014, 12:00 AM
who is the child that lives here that actually rates threads? who hurt you? mods should seek these people out and just ban them. whether it's a 1 star or 5 star. burn in hell.

noyen
07-14-2014, 12:01 AM
whoever you are you're a fucking stalker that should put your head on the tracks.

noyen
07-14-2014, 12:03 AM

I think I'm just horribly biased towards that album in general though, it's what got me into them

i love it. i dunno how ive been into sharon van etten so long and not given these guys a listen. i purposefully didn't see them open/play with her last time she came through town.

redbreegull
07-14-2014, 12:10 AM
they are my absolute favorite band from the last decade. I like the new one the best probably, followed by Alligator > High Violet > Boxer > the first two (which are not of the same quality of their successors at all IMO). also this band fucking KILLS live.

a few of my favorites

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/v3_YrOULNY0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/P1BjndTZvQY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/rCR0Tr2HTfA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/HC8AXnNCBZ0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ack4cJry0as" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

redbreegull
07-14-2014, 12:12 AM
if you like what you hear just download the whole discography minus the first two, they have been astonishingly consistent for the past decade

noyen
07-14-2014, 12:13 AM
groovy. yeah, first thing i heard was graceless on an SNL rerun tonight. that did the trick. these guys and sun kil moon / mark kozelek are keeping me busy. i stopped listening to m. koz for a long time. turned my back and now that i've returned to listening again he has like 12 albums and live stuff i haven't heard that is all brilliant.

redbreegull
07-14-2014, 12:20 AM
haha kozelek is like my other favorite dude. I would have said Sun Kil Moon is my favorite band of the last decade, but honestly I have felt real let down by his last few releases. I've tried over and over to get into everything after Admiral Fell but I just can't really dig most of it, and I used to revere the guy's songwriting.

noyen
07-14-2014, 12:28 AM
ive been a red house painters fan from the start. i was a teenager. i kind of grew out of it for a time.. but i think benji is amazing, and though the jimmy lavalle record is very synth poppy, once you hear him do those songs solo it just adds so much. i wasn't too into his modest mouse covers, some were okay. he could've chose better songs. he is amazing at constantly re-writing his own material and his covers are usually taken to another level, like the ac/dc stuff is fantastic. i still like him a lot. i just watched his on tour documentary and i'm back to listening to him. it's probably because i've aged along with him. i marvel at his storytelling ability in songs and wittiness and his ability to write love/hate/meloncholy songs with tinges of comedy. m. koz will always be one of my favorite songwriters and performers. even if he puts out a studio recording i dont like, i'm always amazed when he offers up a different version live. "you missed my heart" is a good example. on the savalle record it kind of feels out of place. but then on the live in brisbane cd, it sounds how it should've sounded to start with. same with gustavo on other live cds. carissa off the benji album is such a good opener.. i guess different strokes but i think benji is his best in years.

Trotskilicious
07-14-2014, 12:58 AM
who is the child that lives here that actually rates threads? who hurt you? mods should seek these people out and just ban them. whether it's a 1 star or 5 star. burn in hell.

it's future boy

Trotskilicious
07-14-2014, 12:59 AM

i think this band is criminally boring but i think fake empire is the best song

AndySlash
07-14-2014, 01:16 AM
mmm

<object width="480" height="360"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/B5clBfEEiSw?hl=en_US&amp;version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/B5clBfEEiSw?hl=en_US&amp;version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

redbreegull
07-14-2014, 01:16 AM
ive been a red house painters fan from the start. i was a teenager. i kind of grew out of it for a time.. but i think benji is amazing, and though the jimmy lavalle record is very synth poppy, once you hear him do those songs solo it just adds so much. i wasn't too into his modest mouse covers, some were okay. he could've chose better songs. he is amazing at constantly re-writing his own material and his covers are usually taken to another level, like the ac/dc stuff is fantastic. i still like him a lot. i just watched his on tour documentary and i'm back to listening to him. it's probably because i've aged along with him. i marvel at his storytelling ability in songs and wittiness and his ability to write love/hate/meloncholy songs with tinges of comedy. m. koz will always be one of my favorite songwriters and performers. even if he puts out a studio recording i dont like, i'm always amazed when he offers up a different version live. "you missed my heart" is a good example. on the savalle record it kind of feels out of place. but then on the live in brisbane cd, it sounds how it should've sounded to start with. same with gustavo on other live cds. carissa off the benji album is such a good opener.. i guess different strokes but i think benji is his best in years.

I do love the acoustic you missed my heart. I'm a lot younger than you cause I was a babby when rhp got started. I got into him when april came out, a friend played me moorestown and I was just like holy fucking shit and burned through his whole discography and loved it all. his songs still rip my heart out like literally no other artist. maybe I will give benji another try... I just really miss the majestic craftmanship of his older work. To me, he's gone from making something ineffable and sublime to something... I dunno, smaller.

Shallowed
07-14-2014, 01:24 AM
Funnily enough I listened to High Violet for the first time today as well. I'd only heard Bloodbuzz Ohio before then.

After one listen I'm not dying to relisten like noyen was, but it's not bad. As I was listening I was remembering how Trots slammed the shit out of them and I was thinking, yeah I can see how he feels that way.

noyen
07-14-2014, 02:16 AM
Its graceless, don't swallow the cap, I should live in salt and demons that I heard today and got hooked on.. Fake empire is okay but I don't like when the horns start.

That track from dark was the night rules I have that record and some reason didn't click then. I really like their latest record. It'll take time to dig through the rest.

M. Koz is just bound to surprise. Like bill Callahan/smog. He just put out a hastobetongueincheek Lil Jon style banger called "smack that girl". Its either meant to be funny or he lost his marbles. I think he's trying to be funny/ironic maybe inaulting. That's why I like Callahan too. He's creepy.

So glad we have a feature that only future boy uses in such a sociopathic way. What would happen without it. Post you fucking pussy.

D.
07-14-2014, 08:32 AM
I thought you had to post in a thread to rate it. Hmmm.

National were really good when I saw them this year. That voice. :love:

Poots
07-14-2014, 09:51 AM
good god, there's too many people in that band. The National always sounds to me like they take their music very, very, very seriously. And then the guy comes in with his crooner voice and all the hipsters swoon and say how great they are. But to me it's kind of background music or soundtrack music when the boy realizes he's been a dick to the girl and runs through the rain to stop her before she gets on a train to go art college in Zaire.

Rairun
07-14-2014, 02:21 PM
Alligator is by far their best, I think, followed by Boxer and Trouble Will Find Me, and then High Violet. The first two have some gems, but they are more uneven.

Trotskilicious
07-14-2014, 03:18 PM
good god, there's too many people in that band. The National always sounds to me like they take their music very, very, very seriously. And then the guy comes in with his crooner voice and all the hipsters swoon and say how great they are. But to me it's kind of background music or soundtrack music when the boy realizes he's been a dick to the girl and runs through the rain to stop her before she gets on a train to go art college in Zaire.

pretty much, except zaire doesn't exist anymore

Trotskilicious
07-14-2014, 03:19 PM
and the national is the music for that whole thing happening and then the girl goes "oh sorry I am with barry now and we're leaving, goodbye" and then fake empire plays as the credits roll and he's standing in the rain, forlorn

Poots
07-14-2014, 03:26 PM
pretty much, except zaire doesn't exist anymore

it's a period picture

Trotskilicious
07-14-2014, 05:58 PM
of course! it's a prequel of a bend in the river by naipaul and she's the daft white woman

null123
07-14-2014, 06:27 PM
I feel like I don't have the right type of relationships to enjoy this band

Elphenor
07-14-2014, 07:51 PM
I don't get this band at all

WHERES THE HOOK?

Poots
07-14-2014, 07:52 PM
Do you like to go to coffee shops with your ipad and your scarf and your whippet puppy and smirk at the plebs who are just wasting their lives and they don't even know it man, they don't even know it? If so, you'll love The National.

Shallowed
07-14-2014, 07:55 PM
I silently judge people who silently judge hipsters who silently judge plebs, what band should I listen to?

Poots
07-14-2014, 08:02 PM
I silently judge people who silently judge hipsters who silently judge plebs, what band should I listen to?

LCD Soundsystem

Elphenor
07-14-2014, 08:06 PM
All these indie bands make me think of Radiohead but with no hooks.

Just the most whiny parts of Yorke's songs strung together

Poots
07-14-2014, 08:10 PM
LCD Soundsystem has a lot of hooks. I really like them. But if the indie world was Dawson's Creek, LCD Soundsystem would be James Van Der Beek. Hipsters will turn to Jell-O at the sound of any one of their Atari blip intros.

noyen
07-14-2014, 10:14 PM
so controversial. you must be a kiss fan.

Mooney
07-14-2014, 10:54 PM
LCD Soundsystem has a lot of hooks. I really like them. But if the indie world was Dawson's Creek, LCD Soundsystem would be James Van Der Beek. Hipsters will turn to Jell-O at the sound of any one of their Atari blip intros.

no, hipsters would turn their nose at anyone who would listen to a band that has sold out multiple shows at MSG within the past decade.

its funny, according to netphoria's current hipster criteria, anyone listening to the pumpkins in the mid-90's would be a hipster.

Trotskilicious
07-15-2014, 01:56 AM
shut the fuck up about hipsters

Trotskilicious
07-15-2014, 01:58 AM
i was making fun of the band taking itself so srs but you know whatever fake empire is a good song and they have a subtle touch

D.
07-15-2014, 08:05 AM
shut the fuck up about hipsters
Seriously.

Shit is so played out.

Poots
07-15-2014, 08:40 AM
Seriously.

Shit is so played out.

Shit is so dope yo. You feel me bra?

Trotskilicious
07-15-2014, 03:11 PM
brainy is also a good song

the band is okay

better than most shite, really, when you get down to it. Like Vampire Weekend, for example, because they suck

noyen
07-15-2014, 04:16 PM
Ban the word hipster. It is only used by kids who are in denial about their own lack of knowledge and experience and makes them feel better about whatever it is. The paradoxial black hole of the hipster angst. I laughed real hard at this dude ragging on whatever dad music I'm deciding to like and then LCD sound system was mentioned. I bet the fucker has no idea the history of dfa and how the whole label is Williamsburg posering (ie: hipsters=posers in the end).

Poots
07-15-2014, 07:20 PM
Ban the word hipster. It is only used by kids who are in denial about their own lack of knowledge and experience and makes them feel better about whatever it is. The paradoxial black hole of the hipster angst. I laughed real hard at this dude ragging on whatever dad music I'm deciding to like and then LCD sound system was mentioned. I bet the fucker has no idea the history of dfa and how the whole label is Williamsburg posering (ie: hipsters=posers in the end).

Pretty sure nobody gives a fuck about labels.

noyen
07-15-2014, 07:36 PM
yeah nobody but you, hipster.

redbreegull
07-15-2014, 08:35 PM
ITT a bunch of people who don't understand the national try to explain the national

a lot of the magic for me is the tension between the frantic instrumentation and the sleepy, croony, almost operatic vocal delivery. I don't really get the criticism of them being too serious, they are totally silly. I mean the triumphant sounding horns in every other song evoke some sort of dorky high school marching band thing. berninger is lyrically talented in a corganesque way in that he is very good at evoking moods and feelings through abstract images and wordplay, but the lyrics are often comical and absurd. They also have a lot of Springsteen in them. Maybe you have to hear the songs live to get the energy behind them. eh, I just don't understand the boring/no hooks insault

redbreegull
07-15-2014, 08:39 PM
matt berninger gets wasted at every show and dives into the audience, throws himself around, runs drunkenly along any beams or rails immediately available, and occasionally rolls around on the floor. and somehow he only gets better and better as he gets plastered

Poots
07-15-2014, 10:47 PM
Okay, you've convinced me, I love them now.

And, I would just like to add...

hipster.

hipster hipster hipster hipster

Poots
07-15-2014, 10:54 PM
And these are objectively shitty lyrics:

remember when you said i'm sorry
to the vines and no one saw it
i'll try to call you from the party
it's full of punks and cannonballers
i need my girl
i need my girl

Elphenor
07-16-2014, 12:16 AM
They're actually okay, but nothing about them demands to be listened to.

noyen
07-16-2014, 02:54 AM
Cool story. Amused at how much care going into thinking telling me something sucks will make me switch my own opinions. Its really quite cute. Adorable even.

yo soy el mejor
07-16-2014, 01:07 PM
labels are for jars.

i like to bike. you know why? cause i've been doing that shit since i was 6. no need to make it into a spectacle. same with tacos. please don't call them street tacos.

noyen
07-16-2014, 01:44 PM
what do tacos have to do with anything in here? labels are necessary. street tacos = tacos made in a mobile kitchen. street food = food from a mobile kitchen. a taco is still a taco. I've never encountered this street taco label problem unless you mean taco bell doing "street tacos" as if it is a style. So youre not a bike rider but you ride a bike. Oh the opression! You're making a spectacle of everything you do. I want labels on things like food. Labeling groups of people also helps. Like Nazis. And Mormon. Having angst about music labels is an entirely different thing to me. I'm okay with rock, metal, hip hop, dance music. Simple stuff beyond that the techobreakbeatbarnyarddubsteptwee is totally unnecessary. Labels are supposed to be informational identifiers that help humans get an idea without actually having to ask "what is this? Let's put it my mouth cu I dunno.... Ohh shit its concentrated peanut butter that looks like a Twinkie. Oh shit im dead"

Poots
07-16-2014, 04:17 PM
lame

Raskolnikov
07-16-2014, 05:15 PM
street tacos = tacos made in a mobile kitchen.

Know who has badass tacos that just so happen to be made on a street cart? Tacos Hidalgo. Dude sets up just in front of The Depot at the Gateway. Get up on a Carnitas Burrito from him... he knows what's up.

Also, I used to default to saying that Boxer was my favorite National album... but these last two, man - not so sure I can make such a bold statement any longer.

fuzzyroes
07-16-2014, 05:37 PM
I don't get this band at all

WHERES THE HOOK?

That's the point. "hooks are so played out and 80's, man"

Elphenor
07-16-2014, 05:57 PM
Idk these hipster-esque bands or whatever the fuck are generally pretty 80's sounding

noyen
07-16-2014, 06:13 PM
Know who has badass tacos that just so happen to be made on a street cart? Tacos Hidalgo. Dude sets up just in front of The Depot at the Gateway. Get up on a Carnitas Burrito from him... he knows what's up.

Also, I used to default to saying that Boxer was my favorite National album... but these last two, man - not so sure I can make such a bold statement any longer.

Totally met him. And there is a hidalgo ii as well. SLCtacos.com I think one of us reviewed/interviewed them. Street tacos are synonymous with "likely better tacos than any restaurant taco"

I like that I'm pretty much stuck on listening to just their latest album for the most part and will probably just stick with it until I get burned out on it. Its all about time and place when you hear something I guess. And current state of mind. I was really into Sarah McLachlan for about 30 minutes while I was at the dentist on nitrous. :)

noyen
07-16-2014, 06:17 PM
Idk these hipster-esque bands or whatever the fuck are generally pretty 80's sounding

yeah most posers are into 70s, 80s and 90s bands they've never listened to but own the tshirt. like most of these hipsteresque bands or whatever the fuck generally siteing terrible bands as influences and soooo underrated. All one hit wonders are sooooo underrated.

fuzzyroes
07-16-2014, 06:43 PM
My general point is, I think a lot of these bands are big DUE to their lack of hooks. The hipster band trend seems to be the effort in making good songs DESPITE not having any hooks. It almost gives a track credibility to this certain sect of music fans.

A lot of these musicians are obviously dedicated and know their way around their instruments, I'm sure they could create catchy, melodic music if they wanted to... But it's just not the cool thing to do right now.

fuzzyroes
07-16-2014, 06:45 PM
I was actually conversing about this topic with a musician that I know and he basically told me "that's what's cool about these new bands. Who needs these big hooks? that's what fucking hair-metals for"

redbreegull
07-16-2014, 08:33 PM
I guess I don't understand what it is meant by hooks in this case. To me, music without hooks would be pretty atonal. Since we talked about RHP earlier in this thread, listen to Strawberry Hill. I would say the verses pretty much lack any semblance of a hook (actual song starts at 0:50). Then the chorus kicks in at 3:20 and you get what is a clearly a hook.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/oxyKqH2E4sM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

by hooks are we talking about clearly identifiable and signature guitar riffs in each song? I don't really get it. The National is pretty melodic and for the most part their songs revolve around 4 chord progressions

Shallowed
07-16-2014, 09:03 PM
Fuck hooks

Poots
07-16-2014, 11:06 PM
A hook should come before 3:20 into the song, if it's pop music we're talking about. A hook could be a vocal or instrumental part of the song that makes it catchy and memorable. Many times its the chorus. "She loves you yeah, yeah, yeah" and shit like that.

redbreegull
07-16-2014, 11:59 PM
A hook should come before 3:20 into the song, if it's pop music we're talking about. A hook could be a vocal or instrumental part of the song that makes it catchy and memorable. Many times its the chorus. "She loves you yeah, yeah, yeah" and shit like that.

you should pull your head out of your ass. there is no designated time a hook should occur. If we are defining hook like this though, I still don't understand how the national is a hookless band. Again, they are basically half Bruce Springsteen.

Trotskilicious
07-17-2014, 12:02 AM
The hipster band trend

oh my fucking god just stop right there. jesus fucking christ, stop defining everything about HIPSTER BANDS just shut the fuck up! seriously! fucking shut the fuck up! HOOKS AND POP MUSIC ARE SO HIPSTER EXCEPT WHEN THEY ARE NOT!

like seriously blow it the fuck out of your ass

Trotskilicious
07-17-2014, 12:03 AM
arcade fire is hooky as all fuck!

Trotskilicious
07-17-2014, 12:07 AM
please don't call them street tacos.

seriously! it's not a kind of taco!

Trotskilicious
07-17-2014, 12:10 AM
what do tacos have to do with anything in here? labels are necessary. street tacos = tacos made in a mobile kitchen. street food = food from a mobile kitchen. a taco is still a taco. I've never encountered this street taco label problem unless you mean taco bell doing "street tacos" as if it is a style. So youre not a bike rider but you ride a bike. Oh the opression! You're making a spectacle of everything you do. I want labels on things like food. Labeling groups of people also helps. Like Nazis. And Mormon. Having angst about music labels is an entirely different thing to me. I'm okay with rock, metal, hip hop, dance music. Simple stuff beyond that the techobreakbeatbarnyarddubsteptwee is totally unnecessary. Labels are supposed to be informational identifiers that help humans get an idea without actually having to ask "what is this? Let's put it my mouth cu I dunno.... Ohh shit its concentrated peanut butter that looks like a Twinkie. Oh shit im dead"

but, ultimately this

you know the type, the young suburbanites new to the city they talk about "street tacos" and how "sketchy" they are but ultimately "pretty good"

i don't have a label for these particular shitbricks, since everyone affixes hipster to anyone that isn't still wearing clothes that were popular in 1997. it's like cultural retardation, we're so goddamn lazy that we just make this huge hazy catch all called "hipsters" where there used to be yuppies, hippies, mods, rockers and all the other colors of the 'bow, man

Trotskilicious
07-17-2014, 12:12 AM
we need more goddamn labels

HIPSTER

ONE THING I NOTICED ABOUT HIPSTERS IS THAT THEY HAVE BEARDS EXCEPT WHEN THEY HAVE MUSTACHES
ONE THING I NOTICED ABOUT HIPSTERS IS THAT THEY LIKE SNOOTY BEER EXCEPT WHEN THEY LIKE PABST
ONE THING I NOTICED ABOUT HIPSTERS IS THAT THEY LIKE HOOKS EXCEPT WHEN THEY DON'T

that's so goddamn insightful!

Trotskilicious
07-17-2014, 12:14 AM
My general point is, I think a lot of these bands are big DUE to their lack of hooks. The hipster band trend seems to be the effort in making good songs DESPITE not having any hooks. It almost gives a track credibility to this certain sect of music fans.

A lot of these musicians are obviously dedicated and know their way around their instruments, I'm sure they could create catchy, melodic music if they wanted to... But it's just not the cool thing to do right now.

the level of hate i have for this post right now

Trotskilicious
07-17-2014, 12:15 AM
<i>i just hate every single fucking word of it</I>

Trotskilicious
07-17-2014, 12:16 AM
you could be makin totally catchy jams bro but you're just too cool for it, that's a drag man.

he fucking says to jimmy page, with a fucking finger in his motherfucking nose

Elphenor
07-17-2014, 12:21 AM
Lol

Trots is an asshole but he's right

Elphenor
07-17-2014, 12:29 AM
And yeah, Arcade Fire has hooks out the ass as do a lot of these bands. They turn away from heavy guitars in favor of more groove and pop hooks generally speaking.

redbreegull
07-17-2014, 12:39 AM

they've become less hooky with each album since neon bible though. hipster evolution in progress

Trotskilicious
07-17-2014, 12:43 AM
i haven't listened to the newest album but the suburbs is full of hooks on the tracks that stand out and then the miasma in the middle i guess is what you mean

modern man and MBM, rococo and the title track, all hooky as fuck

redbreegull
07-17-2014, 12:44 AM
just kidding, but I do think that nuance is a value more appreciated in popular music today than in the past of the "pop music era" or whatever. I don't think it's limited to indie rock, I think it applies across a lot of different genres.

Trotskilicious
it's just frustrating to watch someone so committed to saying dumb shit over and over again

i don't think it's more or less anything today

Elphenor
Reflector was pretty hooky

Trotskilicious
07-17-2014, 12:46 AM
well it was based on 80s pop music from what i understand, counter to fuzzys idiotic fucking post

i'm listening to sharon van etten. no hooks here!

redbreegull
07-17-2014, 12:50 AM
i haven't listened to the newest album but the suburbs is full of hooks on the tracks that stand out and then the miasma in the middle i guess is what you mean

modern man and MBM, rococo and the title track, all hooky as fuck

I think there are more songs on neon bible that rely on riffage and upbeat tempos as central parts of the song. not a bad thing, it's my favorite of theirs. Suburbs seems to focus more on the songwriting and thematic elements to me.

Trotskilicious
07-17-2014, 12:52 AM
i never liked neon bible, other than antichrist television blues

i like hooks a lot but then sometimes i don't! WHAT A FUCKING HIPSTER WITH ALL OF MY HIPSTER BANDS THAT I LIKE THAT HAVE HAIR A CERTAIN WAY EXCEPT WHEN THEY DON'T

redbreegull
07-17-2014, 12:53 AM
Reflector was pretty hooky

definitely their most experimental and least pop album. The first half especially. The second half has some pop songs.

this is one of their best songs

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/soo9hnLqXqY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

redbreegull
07-17-2014, 12:58 AM
Reflektor is ONE minute too long to burn to a standard CD-R. The last track features almost 6 minutes of electronic ambience after the song finishes. hipsters

Elphenor
07-17-2014, 01:01 AM
The album just sounds really 80's. Yeah, it's got that "experimental" trope. But it sounds really familiar to me. Like it's experimental in that it's copying a sound that was experimental in the 80's.
It's probably the only Arcade Fire album I really like

Elphenor
07-17-2014, 01:03 AM
Reflektor is longer than it needs to be, but the whole thing is based around a hook.

Trotskilicious
07-17-2014, 01:06 AM
redbreegull doesn't get very informed of music outside of the drum circle so you'll have to forgive what he considers experimental

redbreegull
07-17-2014, 01:08 AM
Reflektor is longer than it needs to be, but the whole thing is based around a hook.

long sequences of dance beats with electronic noises over them and an electro breakdowns in at least half the songs is not my idea of hooky personally

redbreegull
07-17-2014, 01:10 AM
redbreegull doesn't get very informed of music outside of the drum circle so you'll have to forgive what he considers experimental

it's relative you troglodyte. it is their most experimental album, not the most experimental album ever

Trotskilicious
07-17-2014, 01:12 AM
also elph is right this isn't very experimental, i think i'm going to listen to this album right now

OMG
HIPSTERS
BETTER LISTEN TO NOFX TO WASH THE STINK OFF

btw the title track is full of hooks, RBG

Trotskilicious
07-17-2014, 01:16 AM
almost feel like the video is showing that yes even arcade fire has a sense of humor, if you can believe that

Elphenor
07-17-2014, 01:40 AM
Idk how to explain to RBG what a hook is

Elphenor
07-17-2014, 01:46 AM
I think Reflektor being 3 hours long has to be a bit of humour as well.

Trotskilicious
07-17-2014, 01:48 AM
really groovy album, i had no right to be skeptical

Trotskilicious
07-17-2014, 02:02 AM
every single song so far has plenty of hooks

redbreegull
07-17-2014, 02:15 AM
hooks per album

neon bible > funeral > suburbs > reflektor

Trotskilicious
07-17-2014, 02:22 AM
okay dude

i don't remember anything from NB i dunno why people jerk on that album TBH

Elphenor
07-17-2014, 02:51 AM
hooks per album

neon bible > funeral > suburbs > reflektor

Nopenopenope

Trotskilicious
07-17-2014, 02:54 AM
i really liked reflecktor! like more than the suburbs and neon bible even

on first listen at least

maybe i'll find their stuff less unlistenable now

Elphenor
07-17-2014, 04:21 AM
It's a good album

AndySlash
07-17-2014, 09:01 AM
reflektor is pretty good, yes.

Poots
07-17-2014, 10:23 AM
you should pull your head out of your ass. there is no designated time a hook should occur. If we are defining hook like this though, I still don't understand how the national is a hookless band. Again, they are basically half Bruce Springsteen.

look dummy, if a band is writing pop music (which I'm sorry to break it to you, but The National is) then the hook has to come before 3:20 in the song. Otherwise it's not a hook. The hook is called the fuckin hook because it hooks you and makes you remember the song, through catchiness and repetition. What the fuck is the point of the hook if it happens so late in the song? Most assholes will have turned the song off if the catchy part occurs about the time that most songs are ending. I'm not saying that good music has to have a hook, but if it does, they will get to it pretty soon.

How dumb would have been for Slash to wait to play the catchy guitar shit in Sweet Child O' Mine until 3:20 into the song?

SLASH: "Just let them wait and I'll knock them out with this tasty lick near the end"

AXL: "Maybe we should play it sooner"

SLASH: "Nah man it will be cool if out of nowhere this hot guitar line comes in--it will be the hook, as it were"

AXL: "You're high, my friend. Start the song with it"

SLASH: "... yeah. Yeah, I guess you're right my friend, thank you. I could not see through the haze of mine own addiction"

AXL: "Give it nary another thought, my friend of these many tender years. Yours is the rock upon which I will build Guns and Roses"

They come together stage L into an embrace, lights down, spotlighted on the stage showing the fagility and purity of their love. A kiss, sweet and tender. Curtain.

redbreegull
07-17-2014, 12:46 PM
almost feel like the video is showing that yes even arcade fire has a sense of humor, if you can believe that

I think Bowie is in that video

i don't remember anything from NB i dunno why people jerk on that album TBH

so you don't remember the album but you're convinced it's less pop than reflektor? what the fuck are you even arguing with me about? another case of starting a conflict over literally nothing for the sake of it

D.
07-17-2014, 02:49 PM
arcade fire on the reflektor tour was one of my favorite shows. that was the first show where i learned it's totally okay to dance to music uninhibited by what you think others are thinking.

Rider
07-17-2014, 03:39 PM
look dummy, if a band is writing pop music (which I'm sorry to break it to you, but The National is) then the hook has to come before 3:20 in the song. Otherwise it's not a hook. The hook is called the fuckin hook because it hooks you and makes you remember the song, through catchiness and repetition. What the fuck is the point of the hook if it happens so late in the song? Most assholes will have turned the song off if the catchy part occurs about the time that most songs are ending. I'm not saying that good music has to have a hook, but if it does, they will get to it pretty soon.

How dumb would have been for Slash to wait to play the catchy guitar shit in Sweet Child O' Mine until 3:20 into the song?

SLASH: "Just let them wait and I'll knock them out with this tasty lick near the end"

AXL: "Maybe we should play it sooner"

SLASH: "Nah man it will be cool if out of nowhere this hot guitar line comes in--it will be the hook, as it were"

AXL: "You're high, my friend. Start the song with it"

SLASH: "... yeah. Yeah, I guess you're right my friend, thank you. I could not see through the haze of mine own addiction"

AXL: "Give it nary another thought, my friend of these many tender years. Yours is the rock upon which I will build Guns and Roses"

They come together stage L into an embrace, lights down, spotlighted on the stage showing the fagility and purity of their love. A kiss, sweet and tender. Curtain.

I could not imagine a better last post.

noyen
07-17-2014, 05:40 PM
all this "hook" talk is marketing jargon and lingo for salesmen. kill yourself. your reliance on Wikipedia and "a song must have this to be successful" shit and desperate desire to be right about something is turning into a discussion among two plebs who agree with each other and everyone else being sarcastic. seriously, kill yourself. guitar solo, chorus, hook who fucking cares Jesus Christ. Oooh wow you are breaking it to us hard on what "pop" music is. Ooh wow I had no idea what radio marketing research found out about whether someone will listen to an entire song based on the first 15 seconds because of demographics and "research. die in grease fires.

Rider
07-17-2014, 06:17 PM
It kinda adds to the comedy of it if you know Slash hated that riff with a passion and didn't want it on the album at all. It was him making fun of Axl playing calliope circus music and Axl forced him to use the riff.

noyen
07-17-2014, 06:51 PM
target demographic hit. oh the comedy. if only axl and slash could share us stories around the campfire about the hook incident.

fuzzyroes
07-17-2014, 06:58 PM

Of course they are. I'm not talking about Arcade Fire. I was talking about the National and bands who sound like them. They're monotonous songs that lack any real catchy verses, pre-choruses, choruses (ultimately any hooks).

I like catchy songs, songs with awesome parts that just come out of nowhere, great songwriting, great, unexpected melodies that you wouldn't expect to be put together on first listesn but sound so great once you hear it. I like songs with urgency, emotion, intensity.

Half these fucking hipster bands sound like they're half asleep most of the time.

It's weak man... super weak.

fuzzyroes
07-17-2014, 07:10 PM
you could be makin totally catchy jams bro but you're just too cool for it, that's a drag man.

he fucking says to jimmy page, with a fucking finger in his motherfucking nose

Jimmy page is all about the hooks man, what are you on about?

redbreegull
07-17-2014, 07:20 PM
Of course they are. I'm not talking about Arcade Fire. I was talking about the National and bands who sound like them. They're monotonous songs that lack any real catchy verses, pre-choruses, choruses (ultimately any hooks).

I have to assume that you actually haven't listened to the national

Rairun
07-17-2014, 08:35 PM
Not that it matters, but Apartment Story is hooky as hell.

noyen
07-17-2014, 08:45 PM
hooky means nothing to me but peter hook.

MusicMan4
07-17-2014, 08:56 PM
let's see some really nice hooks

MusicMan4
big hooks

MusicMan4
nice firm hooks

MusicMan4
07-17-2014, 08:57 PM
I'd love to play with your hooks
Suck em a little
Slap them around a bit
Get out your hooks
I am so fucking into your hooks
I wanna make you crazy, let's do some coke

redbreegull
07-17-2014, 09:01 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/yIWmRbHDhGw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

yep no hooks here

Shallowed
07-17-2014, 11:19 PM
LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT FUCKIN HOOKS

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20101118204652/spongebob/images/d/de/Hooky_patrick.jpg

Trotskilicious
07-18-2014, 01:29 AM
so you don't remember the album but you're convinced it's less pop than reflektor?

it's basically the definition of pop dude

i've listened to NB at least five times (it's how many tries i give something a lot of people like to click before i give up). only Antichrist Television Blues stick out.

on the other hand the first time i listened to body talk straight through about half the songs stuck in my hand

pop music, dogg.

Trotskilicious
07-18-2014, 01:30 AM

Half these fucking hipster bands sound like they're half asleep most of the time.

It's weak man... super weak.

fucking again, it's like you really actually have a learning disability

the fact that you are grouping a certain kind of band together is one thing, i'm not even disputing that

the fact that they're "hipster bands" is what pisses me off

shut the fuck up about "hipster bands"

and stop listening to nofx. jesus.

Trotskilicious
07-18-2014, 01:32 AM
Jimmy page is all about the hooks man, what are you on about?

god damn it

the whole thing about zeppelin is that they moved rock radio into a direction of having epic, non pop and non hook, songs given significant airplay. yeah there are some zepp songs with hooks. jimmy page was definitely not "all about the hooks" unless you don't know a goddamn thing about zeppelin

the shit like stairway? that shit doesn't have hooks. there's no hooks in achilles last stand. they are free form epic jams

like fuck man just because you have an opinion doesn't make you informed

Trotskilicious
07-18-2014, 01:34 AM
oh and as a final note to RBG i listened to reflektor one time and i'm now at work humming the hook at work

Trotskilicious
07-18-2014, 01:34 AM
<I>that's good hook</I>

Trotskilicious
07-18-2014, 01:36 AM
pardon me while i break out the zeppelin

Trotskilicious
07-18-2014, 01:59 AM
ugh this remastering sucks, why do people buy this shit

it's all watered down and washed out. the big post jam refrain on dazed and confused has none of the OOMPH of the original mastering, i just compared them. fuck this remastering shit, god damn it

Raskolnikov
07-18-2014, 02:37 AM
ugh this remastering sucks, why do people buy this shit

it's all watered down and washed out. the big post jam refrain on dazed and confused has none of the OOMPH of the original mastering, i just compared them. fuck this remastering shit, god damn it

Haven't heard any of these yet - based on this - not worth my time? Tough to fathom with all of the big talk Page has been doing on them. Heard the others too, or just the first?

Trotskilicious
07-18-2014, 03:41 AM
just the first

Elphenor
07-18-2014, 12:55 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/yIWmRbHDhGw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

yep no hooks here

It's not a bad song, but there is no hook. No part of the song that forces you to push the replay button.

Elphenor
07-18-2014, 12:59 PM
A hook is usually no more than 5 seconds or so but it's repeated a bunch or it forces you to hit the repeat button a bunch and/or it just repeats inside your head all day because it's so distinct and catchy.

Elphenor
07-18-2014, 01:04 PM
Like a guitar player who uses hooks is Marr. All his guitar parts are made up of wicked little hooks that repeat over and over. Jimmy Page is nothing like that.

noyen
07-18-2014, 02:14 PM
SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU FUCKING FULL ON RETARD HOOKS.

clearly everyone using the word hook has differing opinions on what one is or isn't. JESUS CLIT CHRIST. if you're in marketing, okay, use hook. keep collecting your research on demographics and when the "hook" is needed to be heard. you fucking brain dead non-musicians talking about hooks as if it is an actual musical term or even slang please die. RIFFS RIFFS RIFFS. CHORUS BRIDGE CHORUS. FUCK DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE.

how this thread even turned into a discussion about "hooks" by the plebs is beyond me. i asked other people into the national to recommend songs. that's all. take your mental illness to the "cooking thread" about sandwiches.

Elphenor
07-18-2014, 02:39 PM
Lol. "The plebs"

Elphenor
07-18-2014, 02:50 PM
elitist douchebaggary, basically

fuzzyroes
07-18-2014, 05:14 PM
It's not a bad song, but there is no hook. No part of the song that forces you to push the replay button.

Yeah man, that shits boring. Sounds like grandpa music or something haha

fuzzyroes
07-18-2014, 05:16 PM

yep no hooks here

Look how "different" these guys are, they're all wearing matching suits while having a little boy dancing around in front of them wearing the same suit that the band is. How creative of them:rofl:

fuzzyroes
07-18-2014, 05:26 PM
fucking again, it's like you really actually have a learning disability

the fact that you are grouping a certain kind of band together is one thing, i'm not even disputing that

the fact that they're "hipster bands" is what pisses me off

shut the fuck up about "hipster bands"

and stop listening to nofx. jesus.

Nofx is a million times better than the shit I've checked out in this thread

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/im2UutGGJyo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Elphenor
07-18-2014, 07:12 PM
Nvm

Elphenor
07-18-2014, 07:15 PM
Look how "different" these guys are, they're all wearing matching suits while having a little boy dancing around in front of them wearing the same suit that the band is. How creative of them:rofl:

Post-Punk says "hello"

Elphenor
07-18-2014, 07:20 PM
Nofx is a million times better than the shit I've checked out in this thread

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/im2UutGGJyo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

A good indicator of a shitty band os when the frontman thinks shorts are an acceptable thing to wear

Eulogy
07-18-2014, 07:22 PM
I love the national.

Shallowed
07-18-2014, 07:45 PM
I think The National are okay but I haven't heard enough to pass judgement.

Mooney
07-18-2014, 09:26 PM
i've been a casual fan of national. i've downloaded all their albums and probably listened to them four or five times each for the most part.

i was driving some folks the other day that wouldn't necessarily enjoy my typical musical fare, so i put all songs of theirs on shuffle since i figured it would be pretty inoffensive. i must say, i won't use the dreaded 'h' word, but each song had that certain something that made me think, 'i like this song.' as trots mentioned earlier they could be considered boring, especially considering that most songs that came up on shuffle could have came from any of their albums as far as i was concerned. but each song had its own hoo.. er, certain something that made it stand out to me as 'a song of theirs that i liked'...and this happened 12 or 15 random songs in a row. i guess i'll chalk it up to amazing songwriting. i could have put a band i enjoy on the whole a hell of lot more than the national on shuffle and it wouldn't have been the same experience. i'm drunk, i hope that was readable. and i don't know what this all means.

Trotskilicious
07-19-2014, 01:36 AM
SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU FUCKING FULL ON RETARD HOOKS.

clearly everyone using the word hook has differing opinions on what one is or isn't. JESUS CLIT CHRIST. if you're in marketing, okay, use hook. keep collecting your research on demographics and when the "hook" is needed to be heard. you fucking brain dead non-musicians talking about hooks as if it is an actual musical term or even slang please die. RIFFS RIFFS RIFFS. CHORUS BRIDGE CHORUS. FUCK DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE.

how this thread even turned into a discussion about "hooks" by the plebs is beyond me. i asked other people into the national to recommend songs. that's all. take your mental illness to the "cooking thread" about sandwiches.

look it up, it has a definiton. slang has definition. and don't call me a fucking pleb, come at me bro.

noyen
07-19-2014, 01:55 AM
look it up, it has a definiton. slang has definition. and don't call me a fucking pleb, come at me bro.

look up what. hook? don't need to, i already know what a "hook" is. quite clear on slang. i didn't call you a pleb i'm speaking directly to poots, fuzzyroes, eleohanttit and every other clown who keeps using the word hook as a descriptor of anything other than the moment marketing research discovers "this is when people pay attention" but if you want to fight about nothing i'll come at you.

Trotskilicious
07-19-2014, 02:17 AM
maybe i was a little defensive about ruining this thread

lets hug it out

ps also a little defensive about not playing music

noyen
07-19-2014, 02:55 AM
no need to be defensive.. That's my frustration is as if anyone is actually proving anything about what good music is or isn't. And the "hipster bands" and the de-evolving of brain cells (not yours, you have made points and articulate them well and I think it's perfectly fine to dislike any kind of music. It's the 12 year old puppy brains Juliana loling at god knows what and this whole idea NOFX is some quality bar in whatever and that hipster bands and dad songs are even taken seriously. repetitive music (we which is what music is) is all hooks. where the hook is and what it is depends on who is listening and if the hook is the selling point, the memorable point or the point when boring turns into exciting. that's why I'm like what the hell is even being talked about here. Some dudes don't like the national. some do. the ones defending it are just as bad as the ones trashing it for lack of hooks because I personally dont get how some brains work and take their opinion as fact because they ate spaghetti once and know about Italian food and I tried a taco so I know about tacos and I went to a rest stop in butt fuck Minnesota so I know about america or I heard a hook once in a song I like so I know all about hooks and musical structure and being dismissive of a band because they do or dont look cool. it's function not fashion. substance over style. and I think some people are completely confuaed on what point theyre getting across. I prefer people like you who can say I dont like it because its not palatable. that's not a deal breaker where I can t handle it anf must convince you. cliche time; you dont choose music, chooses you. that's why I like a few national songs and dont like quite a few. I love a ton of cure songs and loathe an equal amount. I like tiffany and Grimes but also think half of it is garbage and she is dumb as hell on a lot of levels. I am sure people think the same about me but that's cool not everyone has to and if it's hooks people need then they must also be told what is okay by someone else and are living in boxed in worlds where radio serves up the hits with hooks. riffs are riffs and choruses are choruses and a riff can be anywhere in anything and used or abused and ruined because it's like crack and they jemust can't get enough of that intro to smells like teen spirit or when the lights go out in the shitter. basically driving into the ground that the only good song is a song that fits pop radio standards of attention span an repeatability. BTW nearly none of this is directed at you trots. Its me ranting off into the void so that some dimwit will reply and fall into my trap of making this a 95 page thread about what hipster, hook and dismissive and hypersensitve persuasion of either hate or love of a particular brand or style of music. poops thinks he's clever hating to break it to everyone that something is pop music. oh wow enlightening that if I hear something played with a demographic audience it's pop and shatters my fragile reality. NOFX slaaays "I insert any other band". there's not enough riffs. There's no hook. Cannot compute. Must find hook. Where is my brand name and layout? I want to die just understanding how dense and oblivious people who think they are anti establishment and left field by being just sheep.of another color and haven't broken through the thin film of realizing they are shit bags and everything is shit or good and it's okay because life is a stupid farce and the only things worth getting passionate over are things that are fleeting like life and love and good food and making sure everyone is heard not just some small percentage. everyone should feel good about something. everyone is allowed to like garbage if it isn't hurting anyone. it's not so serious that I even take this super long winded post not serious at all but its totally going to come off like I give a shit what someone considers palitable or not. adversity is fun and keeps things evolving on both ends. so good things come to an end and great things spring from nothing or out of spite for something else. that's why the definition of punk is perfectly fine to also constantly evolve. maybe at one point Madonna was punk. And Kanye or whoever. Or still is to some people.

I ain't even mad. I am trolling just as hard as the "all these hipster bands sound the same" without even giving an example of anything in particular.

Trotskilicious
07-19-2014, 03:12 AM
nah it is totally cool, my friend. i was definitely wrong but i think ultimately i know how much truth you are speaking and i feel my habits run counter of "letting everyone be heard" and not quite giving a fuck but still kind of giving a fuck and all of that. people get really offended when i make fun of bands and i don't quite get that but can get defensive when people dismiss everything they haven't already heard of/approve of as "hipster bands"

it's real frustrating to talk to dudes like fuzzy because he's got this whole bro mindset that seems to be completely unshakable because he thinks his opinion has as much weight as anyone else's because he thought it, just like the rest of us. he doesn't really have any respect for people that are diverse and listen to a lot of stuff because it's "hipster" or "pretentious" and then feels the need to tell me that swans is "kinda weak" because they "sound like sonic youth" or the ultimate, the time he said that wire is one of "those hipster bands today that don't even try." and his obsession with the way bands look, that shit about how they are all wearing suits and stuff...yeah dude people wear things on purpose. it's like some kind of idiot teenager in 1996 wearing a black trenchcoat and thinking he's not like the sheeple in A&F

i dunno why i have to argue with them, i don't get it. they banned netphoria at work so now i just troll nba blogs and it's just shitty i dunno. i feel like i'm guilty of a lot of it, i ate a taco so i think i know about tacos

Trotskilicious
07-19-2014, 03:26 AM
i don't play music or basketball but i'm a self professed expert. i mean what a dick, right?

noyen
07-19-2014, 03:26 AM
Guilty of same. But I think there is a majority of us too who realize we are not experts in anything, just opinionated about our own experiences and want to propel others to challenge their ideals and shatter their comfort zones because that's why we are the way we are. Constantly fucking up. Constant changes in perspective. Gaining confidence and then losing it and gaining it again. Giving things second third and fourth chances. Eventually shit I don't like one day is gonna rub off on me the right way cuz my frame of mind is changed or receptive because I'm fragile or the absolute opposite being a hardass and sticking to one thing because of conviction. Let's not pray that we ever get passionate about religion or any particular ideal too much and be one of these "I read this book it changed my life and it will save yours too because its the only thing that will because I found it" bs. taco pioneers and explorers are gonna know about tacos more so than the guy who thinks there is only one way to do it, his town, his ingredients, his access to whatever. it applies to everything. the only way to know about things is to explore polar opposites and learn all sides. then just keep your fingers crossed you fall on the right side of the fence and you're not some bible thumping Nazi racist vegan woman hater venture capitalist serial rapist sociopath. Its all a fine line. I watched this "documentary" called 40 years of hip hop with krs 1 and am blown away with how intelligent he is. Same with chuck d. But I don't agree with every single thing they say as if it were blind devotion.

Julianalol

Trotskilicious
07-19-2014, 03:32 AM
yeah krs-one is an amazing dude, and such a great big smile. i watched a documentary series about hip hop on cable a long time ago, he was always a highlight just to listen to him talk about hip hop

and yeah i guess that is true about pushing boundries and exploring i just get so down on my shit, i get told i'm "close minded" a lot because i'm so opinionated but i just know a few things are true 1) the religious right is fucking wrong 2) we're all shit 3) challenge things, ideas, people, you know. constantly editing. i think i'm coming to realize i'm exactly the dude i always wanted to be, and that's not a success to dudes in fancy condos or internet startups and "strategic marketing" entreprenures. i'm a fuck up, i drink too much and smoke a bunch of weed and say fuck a lot. i listen to really loud music and go to the "sketchy" restaraunts where real food is being made, instead of some kind of polished product complete with modern interior decor

i give stuff 3, 4 and 5 tries because when i first heard the pixies in high school i was like whatever that shit sucks it's all shitty and it's not as good as STP and then i would put on two princes. then once i got to my mid 20s i listened to it again and it just blew my shit apart. radiohead too, hated that high and dry and dumbass karma police but then i heard kid A in my early twenties and it blew my dick off. Daydream nation, My father will guide me a rope up to the sky, ghostface, guinness, straight wiskey, black coffee...all this shit. takes time to learn and appreciate.

Trotskilicious
07-19-2014, 03:38 AM
ghostface is seriously some kind of pulp homer

the greek one.

noyen
07-19-2014, 03:53 AM
see that makes you not a shitty person to me. it makes me think even if you're not where you've figured out shit you will. I struggle with the same stuff. I hate that things are based on looks and superficial is the standard. And social media is a pyramid scheme not worth fighting against because either these really great people rise to the top or the complete and worst do. And being baited into thinking you matter when you're just falling into line to praise some cunts ego. How its quantity over quality. I adore people who think they are scum because to me theyre humbled I'm some way. They may be wrong but its the same with people who do have power and influence and actually attempt to use it for good despite falling into the same traps as everyone else. I lose respect for people daily based on tiny trivial things. I'll resent them until they redeem themselves. Somehow I think.I have this informed view when I really dont. I get jealous and depressed and suicidal and want attention and get mad when I dont get it and at the same time am a hypocrite for being far too harsh and judgemental towards people who just have their head in the clouds the same way I do sometimes. Like what I think matters. What my shoes look like matters. And showing off. The self aware self loathing seem to have a better view on things than people who are already the societal definition of pretty and rich and have never seen adversity in their lives sitting telling me what I need to do and to love yourself and a billion other cliches when they are the fucking Antichrist and are just selling you something. To fall in line and consume what they're selling. To stand on your back. To forget about praising yourself and spend time praising them because they made it. I loved hearing krs say "I don't want you to be like me. I'm not interested in having you strive to be like me. I want you to challenge me and be different and show me something I've never seen before. That to learn to like yourself or even be proud of yourself you may have to go through losing everything to get that. You may have to fight yourself and be contrarian." I think it's true and inspiring a dude so confident about himself seema genuinely interested in challenging people to be so different than him and to challenge him because its the only way he learns. And that pride is something hard to earn. And that you are history and making history. And that while people are talking about working out differences and complaining about things there are already people that have done it and got there and are doing it and no one may be paying attention to you at all ever. And to be okay with that is hard as fuck but you never know who's watching or how you're inspiring other people by just doing your own thing, doubting yourself.

Elphenor
07-19-2014, 04:09 AM
Yeah, music is pretty much entirely subjective.

But if someone was all "Mark E Smith is just a rambling drunkard". My reaction would be to try to show them differently, not like freak out and shit. But whatever, The National are a good band and all.

Edit: Sorry to interrupt

noyen
07-19-2014, 04:12 AM
Yeah, music is pretty much entirely subjective.

But if someone was all "Mark E Smith is just a rambling drunkard". My reaction would be to try to show them differently, not like freak out and shit. But whatever, The National are a good band and all.

Edit: Sorry to interrupt

Shut the fuck up this is all over your head.

Elphenor
07-19-2014, 04:19 AM
It's really not, man.

But, yeah, carry on

Trotskilicious
07-19-2014, 04:24 AM
it is, we're grown ass men talking about grown ass man shit, you'll get here maybe but right now you're just full of cum

Trotskilicious
07-19-2014, 04:26 AM
and i'm not prepared to accept that music is entirely subjective that means ICP, Limp Bizkit and Nickelback are legitimate and they are not and they suck and i'm sure there's some kind of equation that perhaps are tiny monkey brains cannot even comprehend that proves that they fucking suck and should die asap

Elphenor
07-19-2014, 04:37 AM
I think you got the wrong idea about me from some dumb shit I said about sex at like 2am. Idk. But it's funny.

Music is cool because it's so subjective. But it's also insanely annoying that try as a might I'm never going to be able to get any of my friends to dig VU and stuff.

noyen
07-19-2014, 04:41 AM
Why do you need to get anyone into anything. Let them live their lives. Do you need credit for having someone like something you like that a ton of other people like? you are missing the point if you say "yeah I agree". You haven't read shit in this thread if you followed up with your whimsy about oh the sufferage no one will ever appreciate social distortion the way that I do.

Trotskilicious
07-19-2014, 04:43 AM
i like exposing people to things because then maybe they will go to a show with me

it is pretty fun when you are listening to something like and one of your friends is like what is this and you're like it's such and such and they go "that's totally awesome!" but you got to return the favor to other people and not be a big stick in the mud and think you know it all because you don't

Trotskilicious
I think you got the wrong idea about me from some dumb shit I said about sex at like 2am. Idk. But it's funny.

look junior, grown men realize the shit they say reflect who they are

Elphenor
Haha
Well the desire to have other people like the things I like is for sure a symptom of my youth

Elphenor
07-19-2014, 04:45 AM
look junior, grown men realize the shit they say reflect who they are

Fair enough

Trotskilicious
07-19-2014, 04:47 AM
Haha
Well the desire to have other people like the things I like is for sure a symptom of my youth

i think you just need to move away from san deigo which is a real fuzzyroses kind of town from what i gather

the stuff you like is really not that unusual

Elphenor
07-19-2014, 04:55 AM
Where to, you think?

I feel like I could do a better job of being more social. I mean, I saw some dude wearing a Cure shirt on my way to class the other day.

noyen
07-19-2014, 04:59 AM
Maybe London. Plenty of people don't wear band shirts that are into music. Maybe get a teddy ruxpin and put a CBGB's shirt on him.

Trotskilicious
07-19-2014, 05:04 AM
i'm wearing a band shirt right now

i had an XL future of the left shirt imported from wales and i forgot the british aren't quite the monsterous fat asses that we are so it doesn't fit at all

i just like to give these fuckers money and promote them at the same time. honestly you can't even tell with the deafheaven shirt, it's even D F H V N on the bottom

noyen
07-19-2014, 05:08 AM
I own 5000 mogwai and cure and sonic youth t-shirts. Or plain black fruit o the loom. a T-shirt is a good tool to use in high school on which table to sit at lunch but otherwise you're really just gonna run into people who have the shirt but could just be rapist murderers.

D.
07-19-2014, 08:44 AM
I want to +++rep the last like 10 noyen trots posts but that is unpossible.

D.
07-19-2014, 08:54 AM
Also, does this mean I can listen to vampire weekend finally without ridicule because that is a concept I can get behind.:cool:

Sonic Johnny
07-19-2014, 09:14 AM
nope

Future Boy
07-23-2014, 07:49 PM
it's future boy

i rarely rate threads, or even visit this board