View Full Version : Teargarden: Volume 2 Box Value Skyrocketing!

Raskolnikov
07-10-2014, 12:42 AM
margin

Raskolnikov
07-10-2014, 12:42 AM
No, but really, though:

http://www.amazon.com/Teargarden-Kaleidyscope-Vol-Solstice-Bare/dp/B0041KOVUU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1404970890&sr=8-1&keywords=smashing+pumpkins+teargarden

Insane. So dirt cheap. I suppose for the one or two of you that doesn't already own this that might have some degree of interest in it, here's your lucky chance!

Ram27
07-10-2014, 01:44 AM
goodee

7 dollars + shipping for weird artwork and 4 awful songs with Burnsie on the drums

Ram27
07-10-2014, 01:44 AM
I can get it tomorrow if I order in the next 9 hrs 30 minutes!

Woah!

fuzzyroes
07-10-2014, 03:59 AM
Goddamn, that's a steal. I bought one at the time. It's actually a really nice package. The Vinyls fantastic looking.

My guess is they probably have shitloads of these kicking around unsold.

themadcaplaughs
07-10-2014, 12:08 PM
And Billy claims that record label owes him up to $70,000 or some shit for the royalties.

Raskolnikov
07-10-2014, 03:31 PM
Goddamn, that's a steal. I bought one at the time. It's actually a really nice package. The Vinyls fantastic looking.

Yeah, it really is. I got it for like $25 or something when it was new-ish and felt OK with that. As you said, man - the package really is cool looking. As far as picture discs go, they don't get much cooler looking than that one.

themadcaplaughs
07-10-2014, 06:50 PM
This actually inspired me to go back and listen to the tracks on that EP again. This might be the first time I've listened to them since the songs were released in, what, 2010...? In many ways, my views on these songs has changed completely.

I really thought "The Fellowship" was pretty meh when it came out. It's far from being a great SP song, but at least now I can see Billy's singing with more emotion on this song than a lot of other songs from this era, and he combines the guitar with the synth in a much more pleasing way than anything he did on Oceania.

I really dug "Freak" when it came out because it had been so long since we'd heard something with that "Pumpkins Fuzz" sound. Looking at it now, I can see this is one of the prime examples of a song with Billy going on complete auto pilot. the lyrics are vaguely political, "they're out to get us" type mumbo-jumbo. His vocal delivery is so boring that even when he drops an f-bomb it sounds like straight up dad rock.

"Tom Tom" was another one I really did not pay much attention to when it was released. I never even loved it as much as everyone when he played it as Backwards Clock Society. Looking now, this is one of the standout songs of Smashing Pumpkins since 2007. If you disagree with that, it's certainly top 5 Billy has done since Jimmy left. It actually has a distant and hazy sound that I came to appreciate from Smashing Pumpkins. The lyrics are generic, but broad enough to be pleasing, and Byrne's drum work even suits the song well. I know on Facebook Billy mentioned he released one of the takes of this song that he had not over thought, and Kerry mentioned this being one of the Teargarden songs he worked on the most. It shows what happens when Billy takes the advice of others and does not just wallow in one song for too long.

"Spangled" ultimately ends up being a bit of a failure, but I can certainly see where Billy was coming from with it. It has a romanticism to it that would fit well with the Adore era or Machina era. I hate talking a lot about production since I am not a producer, but this is a song where it is obvious even to me that the production killed it. Billy's voice being right on top only accentuates how sappy the lyrics are. Produced right, this could have sounded like Billy's version of the theme song to a movie. As it is, it sounds like bad middle school poetry and a dude who just discovered the tremolo setting on his amp.

houseofglass11
07-11-2014, 12:24 AM
"Tom Tom" is a great song. One of the best songs Corgan has written in the 2000's by far. Love the chorus. Don't understand why any of you would hate this song.

Order 66
07-11-2014, 12:38 AM
"Tom Tom" was another one I really did not pay much attention to when it was released. I never even loved it as much as everyone when he played it as Backwards Clock Society. Looking now, this is one of the standout songs of Smashing Pumpkins since 2007. If you disagree with that, it's certainly top 5 Billy has done since Jimmy left. It actually has a distant and hazy sound that I came to appreciate from Smashing Pumpkins. The lyrics are generic, but broad enough to be pleasing, and Byrne's drum work even suits the song well. I know on Facebook Billy mentioned he released one of the takes of this song that he had not over thought, and Kerry mentioned this being one of the Teargarden songs he worked on the most. It shows what happens when Billy takes the advice of others and does not just wallow in one song for too long.

it really is a great song. could easily pass for an A or B tier Adore-era track

Trotskilicious
07-11-2014, 01:04 AM
so tomtom is the first tbk song i've listened to, actually this song is pretty damn good

GLOWer
07-11-2014, 01:07 AM
tom tom rules. that whole backwards clock society show is amazing. into the light and cock crows are underwritten songs but great jams. the whole thing plays out like band of gypsys. the show would make a great vinyl release.

houseofglass11
07-11-2014, 02:59 AM
so tomtom is the first tbk song i've listened to, actually this song is pretty damn good

.teargarden songs suck real bad and it was half assed non project that nobody was excited about it

Oh so you form your opinions before listening. Interesting.

absof
07-11-2014, 03:21 AM
^ :apopcorn:

Trotskilicious
07-11-2014, 05:06 AM
i think the fan reaction was evidence enough. when something gets that kind of reaction you can basically assume that it is shit. i don't need to listen to gold cobra, either, to know that is virulent shit. i don't ever have to listen to a full nickelback album to know that it's garbage. and you don't have to listen to it to know it was a half assed non project nobody was really excited about

Skradgee
07-11-2014, 10:12 AM
The star chart on one side of the vinyl is pretty coll...and probably less expensive than a lot of star charts printed on paper.

Poots
07-11-2014, 12:52 PM
Why is it "Teargarden" not Teagarden? I have been misreading that for weeks. Why is he still stuck on that bad pun thing from the Mellon Collie era?

Ram27
07-11-2014, 01:12 PM
Targaryen by Kraznys mo Nakloz

Poots
07-11-2014, 01:22 PM
Oh BIlly, Billy. Why doesn't he just release an album of jazz and light rock standards like all the rest of the old rockers? Just something light to play in the background while you and the wife talk about how you think the help is stealing from you while you eat quinoa and salads with purple leaves. Billy could crank out an album every few weeks just using the premade beats and rhythm accompaniments on any Casio keyboard. No one will be listening closely anyway, they just need something to drown out the sound of the pool boy skimming the pool while they get out their date books to see when they might be available for spontanious intercourse in the next month. Then the money will roll right in for Mr. Corgan.

panda show
07-12-2014, 08:59 AM
who wants that honey long as there's some money

Butt Pope
07-14-2014, 01:17 AM
Oh BIlly, Billy. Why doesn't he just release an album of jazz and light rock standards like all the rest of the old rockers? Just something light to play in the background while you and the wife talk about how you think the help is stealing from you while you eat quinoa and salads with purple leaves. Billy could crank out an album every few weeks just using the premade beats and rhythm accompaniments on any Casio keyboard. No one will be listening closely anyway, they just need something to drown out the sound of the pool boy skimming the pool while they get out their date books to see when they might be available for spontanious intercourse in the next month. Then the money will roll right in for Mr. Corgan.

http://i.imgur.com/rokErXg.jpg

Rider
07-14-2014, 10:15 AM
I ordered this on Friday. I always liked the package but thought it was over priced and didn't really care for the music, but for $10 I went for it.

Anyway it just arrived right now, standard shipping. Not even one full business day. Man they want to get these things out of the warehouse.