View Full Version : why do we even care anymore

Vriska Serket
07-07-2014, 04:42 PM
im sincerely interested

why do we still care about this band? i dont want to care but i do

help me

Ram27
07-07-2014, 04:49 PM
In the vain hope that there will be another golden era or good song or Jimmy will come back.

Ram27
07-07-2014, 04:49 PM
Or for the reissues.

bye june
07-07-2014, 04:52 PM
The Smashing Pumpkins music from 1988 to 2000 has had a big impact/influence on me as a musician and in general. I would like to believe that Billy still has the potential to make something great.

Vriska Serket
07-07-2014, 05:02 PM
so this is just desperately clinging on to the past then? that makes sense

Order 66
07-07-2014, 05:03 PM
i think billiam's still arguably the best songwriter and guitarist around.. just kind of lost his way in trying to get his "band" back on the map. i'd be surprised if there wasn't a solid album or two within the next ten years, especially if there's another "solo" album

also machina reissue

Order 66
07-07-2014, 05:05 PM
if you were a pedestrian fan i could totally understand not giving a fuck but even the most rigid cynic couldn't say there's nothing redeemable about the zietgeist-oceania era if the band was a big part of their life growing up

null123
07-07-2014, 05:16 PM
I think it's also possible that many of us want Billy to return to form partly because of the anxiety it provokes to watch someone seemingly lose what we think of as an essential part of themselves in the course of the aging process.

Trotskilicious
07-07-2014, 07:00 PM
every once in a while some kind of hilarious gem like the billy kitties cover comes along or some hilarious example of what an out-of-touch washup he is

i can definitely say there's nothing of value on zeitgeist

D.
07-07-2014, 07:04 PM
I'm done with SP2 for sure. I doubt I'll even illegally download the two new albums. (For reference, I listened to Oceania like three times total. So my interest in these next albums are at zero.)

I'm here for the gen board and for the reissues. I no longer care to hold out hope that Billy will be good again. I'm going to the Ravinia show in Chicago because I will/would totally support a solo acoustic career even though Billy will never take that route.

The exploding boy
07-07-2014, 07:08 PM
Well this thread is not targeted at people like me since i stopped giving a shit forever ago, but it seems obvious that musicians, specifically those doing "rock" in it's all encompassing definition, only have a set amount of good records in them. It is, despite the cliche, a young man's game. I can't think of anyone i like(d) that didn't start sucking in middle age. None. None ever got back from it either. It's being deluded to think it can happen.

Writers usually get better with age, actors often too, for visual art (painting photography, filmmaker) it doesn't seem to matter either way usually, but popular music, it's a downhill ride. Though some do manage to remain half decent, at least and retain some kind of respectability

slunken
07-07-2014, 07:16 PM
Well this thread is not targeted at people like me since i stopped giving a shit forever ago, but it seems obvious that musicians, specifically those doing "rock" in it's all encompassing definition, only have a set amount of good records in them. It is, despite the cliche, a young man's game. I can't think of anyone i like(d) that didn't start sucking in middle age. None. None ever got back from it either. It's being deluded to think it can happen.

Writers usually get better with age, actors often too, for visual art (painting photography, filmmaker) it doesn't seem to matter either way usually, but popular music, it's a downhill ride. Though some do manage to remain half decent, at least and retain some kind of respectability

The music industry is the only art that comes with an age cap. Everything billy says about the failing model is true.

slunken
07-07-2014, 07:17 PM
It's just not set up to support a 20 yr old musician 20 years down the road. Billy gets to play the victim. Something he does best.

SPumpkinsUK
07-07-2014, 07:17 PM
every once in a while some kind of hilarious gem like the billy kitties cover comes along or some hilarious example of what an out-of-touch washup he is

i can definitely say there's nothing of value on zeitgeist

Zeitgeist had some moments. At first it was a stable re-entry with a different sound to previous efforts that didn't hit the previous releases standards but was fairly solid and had potential of better things to come. The initial tour, while shaky at first, built up into something magical. The introduction of songs that had never been played live before, alternate live versions of older songs plus alternate live versions of songs on the album brought in some potential sparks. Even introductions of songs written on the fly during touring brought in some fresh ideas.

Six months onwards 2008 happened... six years on it's still happening!

null123
07-07-2014, 07:25 PM
I can't believe Zeitgeist came out 7 years ago. When Zeitgeist came out the band had broken up 7 year prior.

scottytheoneand
07-07-2014, 07:27 PM
i'm here for the Crestfallen updates

D.
07-07-2014, 07:28 PM
I definitely fucked with most of Z. Dunno if that was just catching the wave of excitement or what. I like some dumb shit so I guess it's not that surprising.

2007. Man. A world away.

Order 66
07-07-2014, 07:55 PM
yeah i can't believe circa 2007 was that far away. completely different era in my life .. like COMPLETELY different

but on topic with sheitgeist and everything... it was pretty exciting even if the album did turn out arguably mediocre. i really dorked out when that album art leaked.. like hardcore chills down my spine.

then some site streamed the whole album free and i was like.. ehh.. okay.. i guess? and that's more or less been my feeling ever since. anyway tho, that was SEVEN FUCKING YEARS AGO

Ram27
07-07-2014, 08:08 PM
I got into the band in 2012. It's absolutely insane to me that there was a period of time in which people were totally excited about new stuff without any sort of resignations. Or when there was a great drummer in the band.

That must've been nice.

The exploding boy
07-07-2014, 08:26 PM
The music industry is the only art that comes with an age cap. Everything billy says about the failing model is true.

Yeah

I have to say about a year ago i did end up listening to a lot of recent Bolly interviews online because i happened upon one on youtube and then just kept clicking and i have to say i agreed with all he was saying about the industry, but the problem as mentioned is he only mentions all this to play victim and rationalize his lack of success in the past decade.

I mean look at Cherub Rock, it was already happening then, the victimizing.

Butt Pope
07-07-2014, 08:40 PM
Next summer is already a decade since the solo album.

Araneae
07-07-2014, 09:08 PM

That's certainly debatable, intellectuals and critics will usually debate otherwise. I mainly studied literature and visual arts, but most everyone in those fields argue that most artists have a set period of time (usually 5-10 years) in which they were really influential and resonated with the culture, otherwise artists in other art forms have also had their share of heavy critique (along with dropping in and out of popularity), some were even ostracized. It's pretty much the same across the board, it's just that most people don't pay as much attention to other art forms as much as they do with music and films. Yet even actors, as they age, have tremendous difficulty finding good roles, particularly for women. In Hollywood there's really only a handful of aged actors that get the really good roles. It's odd, but I feel that women tend to age better when it comes to rock music than most of their male counterparts. I don't know, maybe it has something to do with the excesses that come with it and the inability of many of those men to really grow up.

pumpkinfan1988
07-07-2014, 10:06 PM
I don't care much for today's current music. As someone that can play an instrument I think its pretty uninspiring to honest, especially when you compare the rock music of today to the past. Though if theres one band from the past that can relinquish hope in music its the smashing pumpkins. As long as there is emotion behind the music I think it will be satisfying.

pumpkinfan1988
07-07-2014, 10:23 PM
I got into the band in 2012. It's absolutely insane to me that there was a period of time in which people were totally excited about new stuff without any sort of resignations. Or when there was a great drummer in the band.

That must've been nice.

I got into this band around 2002 I'll never forget my locker in HS was plastered with random messages from years gone by. One that I remember the most was the message that said "Smashing Pumpkins", than underneath that someone scribbled "Smashing Faggots". Ironically when I saw that message I was intrigued to listen to their music. I've been hooked ever since, ingnorance is bliss.

Butt Pope
07-08-2014, 12:30 AM
I don't care much for today's current music. As someone that can play an instrument I think its pretty uninspiring to honest, especially when you compare the rock music of today to the past. Though if theres one band from the past that can relinquish hope in music its the smashing pumpkins. As long as there is emotion behind the music I think it will be satisfying.

Welcome to Netphoria, Billy,

aeroplume
07-08-2014, 12:51 AM
i got into the pumpkins in high school. 9th grade, i believe. that was 2003 or 2004. regardless, why i still care: i kinda don't. i'd love to see billy in concert but i'm pretty much lurking on the boards every so often to see if anything new is happening. reissues were alright but had heard most of the stuff already except for a few things that haven't been leaked already. at least the reissues gave me a chance to own the vinyl.

the b0llster has pretty much been the b0lly corgan experience since jimmy left. zeitgeist lineup had potential, but ever since that kid in diapers started playing drums it went downhill.

heres to hoping adore reissue has LMGTWTY and the machina reissue is decent.

Funbags
07-08-2014, 01:20 AM
I <i>do</i> like following what Billy is up to creatively, so I would consider myself a Billy Corgan fan more than anything.

smashingjj
07-08-2014, 05:44 AM
I'm still a fan of the old work. His recent shenanigans are purely entertainment on a tabloid gossip level. My girlfriend is suddenly quite interested in whatever weird news about him pops up these days, because it's usually amusing. And she was never a fan.

Cool As Ice Cream
07-08-2014, 05:49 AM
Admit, you're always curious to hear his next creations

No.

toase
07-08-2014, 11:03 AM
everything billy does is amazing
amazingly good or bad, both are worth discussion

themadcaplaughs
07-08-2014, 02:41 PM
Must say, I stuck through it all with Teargarden. Oceania was when the interest started to wane in terms of new material. This was the album he claimed would allow us to understand why he kept Smashing Pumpkins going. Instead, I found it more boring than Zeitgeist or Teargarden.

I was actually just kind of thinking that after the Machina re issue (which will apparently have the 12/2/2000 Metro Show) I might just retire.

magikarp99
07-08-2014, 02:51 PM
Admit, you're always curious to hear his next creations

I only listened to Oceania when I bought concert tickets for that tour.

I don't think I ever made it through all of TBK. I couldn't stand listening to anything beyond Widow Wake My Mind.

The interest in his new creations is low.

DaveKShape
07-08-2014, 03:09 PM
I still check it out mainly for the absurd drama that Corgan brings to the table. I mean, Byrne was not the right drummer for the band style and age wise, yet I couldn't just drop popping in to check out what was going on with the band because it made for great drama.

Billy is a very interesting character - whether it's making absurd wrestling commercials for a furniture store... talking shit about Jimmy for being a destructive drug addict only to turn around a few years later and work with Tommy Lee... that whole Madame Zuzu synth thing... it's all too good to turn away from. The music is almost secondary at this point because most everything from the past 7 years has just been shrug-worthy.

jimmy drevpile
07-08-2014, 03:14 PM
Machina reissue
Hoping Jimmy and Billy will eventually release some decent music again. Together, or apart I guess. The hope of a reunion of the two ebbs away as the years do though.
Fucking hell man, 7 years since Zeitgeist.
5 fucking years of Mike Byrne.
Fuck.

slunken
07-08-2014, 04:16 PM
Fuck.

That's really depressing

Slurpee
07-08-2014, 04:42 PM
I ask myself regularly how I can still care at all. Part of it is habit, definitely. And I loved this band so much. I think it may have become a permanent part of my identity, for better or worse. There's something comforting in knowing it so well, even through the epic decline of the past years. A tiny part of me still believes in the possibility BIlly will return to form, at least through a less-than-bitter acoustic tour in the near future. But mostly, I stick around for the little revelations, like In the Arms of Sheep, that I can add to my collection. Though there seem to be precious few of us remaining who care about preserving the best of the band's legacy, I'm happy to be one of those who see it through to the (bitter!) end.

Corgan's Bluff
07-08-2014, 05:36 PM
I'm sure there would have been 200 000 more buyers for ZEITGEIST if there wouldn't have been this YouTube-video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WWM23JnsW0&index=62&list=PL50E27DD8F9496CDB

And why buy the OCEANIA, if Billy himself put all tracks from it on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLC3AC3E75CD868726

That makes it easy to buy only the SP-records that are more interesting...

themadcaplaughs
07-08-2014, 05:53 PM
I, too, was a little underwhelmed by Oceania. It has some great songs on there, but somehow, it's the SP album I've listened to the least. I've listened to Zeitgeist more than Oceania. I can't really put my finger on why. Maybe I just never got in the spirit of it.

I'll always follow Billy creatively though, and even if he puts out something that isn't his best, it will still be worth listening to.

Zeitgiest has energy, and if nothing else, it was honest. The majority of the tracks ranged from "good" to "laughably bad," but there were at least two on there (in my opinion) thank rank up with the best Smashing Pumpkins could offer. Even though there was no "band" recording that album, the process did not seem wholly different than previous Smashing Pumpkins records. Billy wrote songs, jammed on them with Jimmy, and the two pushed each other. Even if you did not like the results, it seemed more organic.

Even Teargarden by Kaleidyscope had this to a degree. Billy was working with a revolving door of people who seemed to inspire him. Yeah, some of the songs were terrible, but at least he kept things interesting and it seemed natural.

Then with Oceania, it just seemed like he tried to crank out a Smashing Pumpkins album that was a compilation of what Billy saw as being the "popular" aspects of Smashing Pumpkins, compile it into one album, and market it as a return to form.

Ram27
07-08-2014, 06:26 PM
I've listened to Zeitgeist more than Oceania. I can't really put my finger on why.

JC vs Mike Burns

fuzzyroes
07-08-2014, 06:37 PM
Machina reissue
Hoping Jimmy and Billy will eventually release some decent music again. Together, or apart I guess. The hope of a reunion of the two ebbs away as the years do though.
Fuck.

I feel yah man, Jimmy's already 50 and Billy's approaching 50. The hope of a reunion between the 2 is pretty much slim to none at this point...

But yeah, it's been an excruciating stretch for the band that's for sure. I remember when Jimmy was in the band I'd be excited to check out the bootlegs for the recent shows and would be excited when they dusted out some old jams or busted out some new shit. Even though the era was unpopular for a lot of people, i think people can appreciate with hindsight (due to the shit lineup for 5 years) how good it actually was

Trotskilicious
07-08-2014, 06:43 PM
Zeitgiest has energy, and if nothing else, it was honest.

uh i thought it was a cynical attempt to get back in the limelight by going as buttrock as possible, not knowing that buttrock hit its zenith (or nadir, really) sometime two years previous.

"zeitgeist" indeed

Ram27
07-08-2014, 07:08 PM
I feel yah man, Jimmy's already 50 and Billy's approaching 50. The hope of a reunion between the 2 is pretty much slim to none at this point...

But yeah, it's been an excruciating stretch for the band that's for sure. I remember when Jimmy was in the band I'd be excited to check out the bootlegs for the recent shows and would be excited when they dusted out some old jams or busted out some new shit. Even though the era was unpopular for a lot of people, i think people can appreciate with hindsight (due to the shit lineup for 5 years) how good it actually was

The setlists were kickass around then.

I just clicked on a random concert (http://www.splra.org/wiki/index.php?title=Tsp2008-03-22B), and it has Doomsday Clock, Hummer, Tonite, Mayonaise, Porcelina, Today, SIYL, Drown, 1979, Everlasting Gaze, Crush, US, and Muzzle. And other stuff.

I mean, damn.

slunken
07-08-2014, 08:21 PM
Adore-era song from a batch of home demos that Billy was "glad didn't get bootlegged out".

I still believe there is some material owned by fans/friends that have never been circulated. The above (from the SPFC entry on Sparrow) would be one example. "Bootlegged out" seems to denote that someone owns it but it was never freely shared/traded.

And its been confirmed ages ago that full versions of all of PM exist. Someone in the community either has heard them or has them. Look at what happened recently with "Arms of Sheep." One does not randomly stumble upon stuff like this (as the original uploader may have suggested).

I still care because I know there is some vault-material that hopefully someday will get out there. Adore demos I and II and QAOS comes to mind, etc. Billy's home recordings have never disappointed.

Trotskilicious
07-08-2014, 10:38 PM
i was listening to porcelina in the car

jim is just on another level, and like i've said a thousand times, he makes bill better. The ecstasy of that instrumentation on porcelina is ALL because of that dynamic between the two of them

null123
07-08-2014, 10:41 PM
I always liked that Quiet And Other Songs was named as such
I really like Quiet

Trotskilicious
07-08-2014, 10:42 PM
quiet! I am sleeeping inhaaale banananananeeenerone

null123
07-08-2014, 10:44 PM
Somehow it captures that era's essence the most for me.

Ram27
07-08-2014, 10:58 PM
i was listening to porcelina in the car

jim is just on another level, and like i've said a thousand times, he makes bill better. The ecstasy of that instrumentation on porcelina is ALL because of that dynamic between the two of them

The quiet part with the tribal shit going on...that's next level stuff. And the way he's able to go from quiet rudimental ditties on the ride that perfectly compliments the lush guitar sound and switch to loud aggressive rock flams and back and forth.

I always liked that Quiet And Other Songs was named as such
I really like Quiet

Listening to that album must be what heroin is like. It's just song after song of loud :rockon: Big Muff guitar...I had to stop after a few songs and catch my breath, I was starting to feel sick almost. Like eating too much chocolate at once

but with Mike gone and the need for a touring drummer in the near future....? They're relationship seems to have improved as well. Why not? It's what everyone is praying for - and they both know it.

Trotskilicious
07-09-2014, 12:03 AM
The quiet part with the tribal shit going on...that's next level stuff. And the way he's able to go from quiet rudimental ditties on the ride that perfectly compliments the lush guitar sound and switch to loud aggressive rock flams and back and forth.

i know, the end to end power of geek usa is impressive but i'm coming to appreciate this element to his technique

once in a life time drummer guys, once in a fucking lifetime

Trotskilicious
07-09-2014, 12:05 AM
i just read the quiet lyrics for the first time in ever and my goodness he really could right interesting lyrics without being dorkular

null123
07-09-2014, 12:45 AM
It's my favorite riff to play on guitar too.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/aR6c5IW3lVc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Ya ya yea

Shallowed
07-09-2014, 12:57 AM
I started getting into SP about a year before Zeitgeist came out. After hearing Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie I had to get more more more, and they quickly became my favourite band. So I was quite excited to hear that Billy was making a new album. I didn't think it was that great but the hype and excitement made me want to like it. It ended up heavily falling out of favour for me. American Gothic, along with songs like As Rome Burns, Make It Happen and Lonely Is the Name seemed to be a step in the right direction so I was still on board. Of course they would never get released.

I'm surprised I followed TbK for as long as I did. I think it wasn't the poor quality of the songs that finally put me off, it was the time between released tracks that just got longer and longer. There's a bunch of TbK songs I'm completely unfamiliar with because I wasn't dedicated to waiting around for scrappy songs. Apparently they actually got a bit better after a while though.

Oceania was once again a step in the right direction. Not so much so that I frequently listen to it, but an improvement is an improvement.

I guess I'm still here because like others have said, I love the classic era SP, and I do believe that Billy has some good songs in him. It seems kind of pathetic to be hanging around waiting for an aging musician past his prime to write a good song or two, but damn it, SP are my favourite band, and this is what one does when they have a favourite band.

The board culture is also one of the most interesting I've ever read and participated in. I can't say I've actively been a part of any other message board for six years straight.

Bread Regal
07-09-2014, 01:51 AM
Part of it is habit, definitely. And I loved this band so much. I think it may have become a permanent part of my identity, for better or worse.

This, for sure, is definitely a part of it.

I don't expect Billy to create something like Siamese Dream again. If I were to hear that album for the first time today, it would not have the same effect on me, because I'm an old fuckin' man now by comparison. It is however interesting to watch Billy on his own journey into becoming an old fuckin' man.

I'd rather just see him do animal rescue full time, though.

null123
07-09-2014, 02:06 AM
I'm still immature enough to receive about 90% of maximum enjoyment from Siamese Dream.

herzogxyu
07-09-2014, 02:16 AM
I guess I'm weird. I follow Bolly but disagree with keeping on with the pumpkins name. This man has written some amazing solo acoustic songs that to this day we still only have in shitty live mp3 format. he rails against the fact that today is not an album format society but then decides everything must be a cohesive album unto itself. fucking shitty to think FOL was Jimmy's last contribution (and no wonder why.) instead of superchrist or usa. i am 100% sure had jimmy or james or heaven forbid d'arcy been in the group there would be no awful covers like space oddity or any of that shit on the "20 year reunion tour" in 08. oh boy, sound of silence. ugh.

fuzzyroes
07-09-2014, 03:13 AM
but with Mike gone and the need for a touring drummer in the near future....? They're relationship seems to have improved as well. Why not? It's what everyone is praying for - and they both know it.

That would be awesome, but it would be kind of counterproductive, having Jimmy back in the band touring in support of an album that has Tommy Lee drumming on it. From what I gather the album with Tommy on it is the big guitar driven rock one. Would have slayed to have Jimmy on that.

Bread Regal
07-09-2014, 03:24 AM
I'm still immature enough to receive about 90% of maximum enjoyment from Siamese Dream.
same. the remaining 10% is lost because i've come to realize that some of the lyrics just terrible. this applies to all SP1 material though.

fuzzyroes
07-09-2014, 03:35 AM
Fuck Billy, just get Ginger and Jimmy back and revert to the 2007 lineup. That was some good shit

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/pAB6oIWNS1E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/YZZgfQYzZGY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

slunken
07-09-2014, 08:08 AM
Zeitgeist was better received because of the hype from the band getting back together and those early 2007 shows. All Oceania had going for it was memories of billy being a jerk during concerts and yelling at the audience.

Ram27
07-09-2014, 11:57 AM
i am 100% sure had jimmy or james or heaven forbid d'arcy been in the group there would be no awful covers like space oddity or any of that shit on the "20 year reunion tour" in 08. oh boy, sound of silence. ugh.

I actually liked Space Oddity.

That would be magic if at all plausible.

This was the last song the original lineup played together live, by the way. Just for fun. https://ia600305.us.archive.org/26/items/tsp1999-04-24.csbmod/sp1999.04.24D2t05.mp3

Ram27
07-09-2014, 12:00 PM
Last Geek USA with Jimmy, too. I just realized they never did that during the 20th tour.

Well besides this. That's probably more meaningful than the Burns versions.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/XnHczU3fC_w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

null123
07-09-2014, 02:25 PM
Oh man, Zeitgeist-era Billy looks so young to me now. That's scary.

GLOWer
07-09-2014, 02:27 PM
the people here who care do so because they're rooting for billy. despite everything. i am. i want him to do something really great, but it sucks to watch him sabotage himself and his chances at seemingly every turn.

Trotskilicious
07-09-2014, 02:33 PM

i dunno if i'd say it was immaturity

panda show
07-09-2014, 02:35 PM
Oh man, Zeitgeist-era Billy looks so young to me now. That's scary.it's scary how much one can age in such a short period of time. in 2007/2008 he didn't look any different than he did in 2000. that's a 7 years. 7 years from 2007, in 2014, he looks like he aged 14 years. I'm pretty sure that the weight gain had to a lot with it.. but nonetheless his face looks a lot more wrinkly and older. add the awful short beard to that and the fishing hat, and you get a 47 year-old looking like he's 55.

null123
07-09-2014, 02:35 PM
i dunno if i'd say it was immaturity

I was commenting on b o nsor's statement "If I were to hear that album for the first time today, it would not have the same effect on me, because I'm an old fuckin' man now"

null123
07-09-2014, 02:39 PM
it's scary how much one can age in such a short period of time. in 2007/2008 he didn't look any different than he did in 2000. that's a 7 years. 7 years from 2007, in 2014, he looks like he aged 14 years. I'm pretty sure that the weight gain had to a lot with it.. but nonetheless his face looks a lot more wrinkly and older. add the awful short beard to that and the fishing hat, and you get a 47 year-old looking like he's 55.

Yeah plus people don't tend to age linearly. A lot of times it's pretty hard to tell how old someone is if they're between like 18-30, 35-45. Then things can kinda hit a wall because hormones start changing rapidly again and you age like you do in your teens except you're not happy about it.

Trotskilicious
07-09-2014, 02:50 PM
I was commenting on b o nsor's statement "If I were to hear that album for the first time today, it would not have the same effect on me, because I'm an old fuckin' man now"

it's so hard to say i think my mind has always been hungry for giant guitars so if i heard that today i'd probably still be like OMF

22:7
07-09-2014, 09:37 PM
Well, I was a member of this forum years ago, maybe 2008, around the time Zeitgeist hit. Needed a new account since I long ago abandoned that email address and lost the login info. I remember Bullet With Butterfly Wings and how that sounded so fucking alien on the radio coming from a cheap plastic stereo my sister had when I was nine. I remember meditating on Heavy Metal Machine in 2001 when I was 15 (I was almost late to the party regarding the Pumpkins if you're doing the math) with headphones on in church and deciding it was time to leave my family's religion and tell them all I was really dead set against it. A group of friends trying to master Porcelina in the garage on our dusty instruments... hearing Soma for the first time through headphones and swirling in its madness... To Forgive ironically playing as I type this... there are many reasons I'm still here.

Oceania was just Zwan part 2, minus Chamberlin.

I swear I put a Future Embrace song on a mix-cd as part of an assignment in a Communications class in college as a "soundtrack to my life kind of song." The CameraEye.

I'm not going to disguise the fact I'm a fat fucking Pumpkins nerd here, on these insane Netphoria forums which I've followed intermittently for several years.

I have to thank whoeverthefuck runs this place for sending me a Machina: The Machines of God sticker so many years ago that I stupidly cherished like nobody's business.

Anyway, why the fuck not root for Billy?

What's at stake?

Mastodon are bland IMO.

Tool are retired (almost.)

Grohl is sucking his own cock quite enthusiastically, and with all due love, sincerely.

"I don't need your love to disconnect." - Billy O'Corgan

He warned us all before. He persists. That rage is still evident in all those insane journal posts on the Nexus. Here's there, and I'm here.

And that my friends is admirable.

aeroplume
07-09-2014, 10:12 PM
Well, I was a member of this forum years ago, maybe 2008, around the time Zeitgeist hit. Needed a new account since I long ago abandoned that email address and lost the login info. I remember Bullet With Butterfly Wings and how that sounded so fucking alien on the radio coming from a cheap plastic stereo my sister had when I was nine. I remember meditating on Heavy Metal Machine in 2001 when I was 15 (I was almost late to the party regarding the Pumpkins if you're doing the math) with headphones on in church and deciding it was time to leave my family's religion and tell them all I was really dead set against it. A group of friends trying to master Porcelina in the garage on our dusty instruments... hearing Soma for the first time through headphones and swirling in its madness... To Forgive ironically playing as I type this... there are many reasons I'm still here.

Oceania was just Zwan part 2, minus Chamberlin.

I swear I put a Future Embrace song on a mix-cd as part of an assignment in a Communications class in college as a "soundtrack to my life kind of song." The CameraEye.

I'm not going to disguise the fact I'm a fat fucking Pumpkins nerd here, on these insane Netphoria forums which I've followed intermittently for several years.

I have to thank whoeverthefuck runs this place for sending me a Machina: The Machines of God sticker so many years ago that I stupidly cherished like nobody's business.

Anyway, why the fuck not root for Billy?

What's at stake?

Mastodon are bland IMO.

Tool are retired (almost.)

Grohl is sucking his own cock quite enthusiastically, and with all due love, sincerely.

"I don't need your love to disconnect." - Billy O'Corgan

He warned us all before. He persists. That rage is still evident in all those insane journal posts on the Nexus. Here's there, and I'm here.

And that my friends is admirable.
what

Trotskilicious
07-09-2014, 10:27 PM
basically there's only four bands in the world

1) SP
2) Mastodon
3) Tool
4) Grohl

also he meditated to one of the worst goddamn songs ever recorded and left his religion because of SP, which is hysterical because bill is all about god & jesus & buddha or whatever the shit he goes on about

toase
07-09-2014, 10:29 PM
That requires a long ass reply
I'm waiting already

Trotskilicious
07-09-2014, 10:32 PM
there's only four bands so why not give ol' bill a cheer

Ram27
07-09-2014, 10:35 PM
Foo Fighters are good fuck you

toase
07-09-2014, 10:37 PM
they used to be

Trotskilicious
07-09-2014, 10:45 PM
i actually contest that point. i've hated them since the beginning.

07-09-2014, 10:58 PM
For the record: what were we talking about again? Oh yeah! Why do I give fuck all, when Billy doesn't give fuck all, and everybody else seems uninterested? Because I just happen to still give a shit.

There's a lot of good music out there. I'm not dying for a new SP release. I just found out about The Seer (2012) by Swans and that single record is going to take me months of listening to fully figure out. The presence of new SP doesn't make or break my world. But if it's good, or I at least get a couple of tunes from it that make me happy, then great. If not, oh well, I lost $12 or whatever for the digital copy.

This is not The End Is The Beginning Is The End.

null123
07-09-2014, 11:00 PM
lol listening to HMM in church

07-09-2014, 11:02 PM
lol listening to HMM in church

hehe. not proud.

Butt Pope
07-10-2014, 12:13 AM
I like Dillinger Four.

Trotskilicious
07-10-2014, 01:18 AM
officially going into hiding as swans fan

fuzzyroes
07-10-2014, 05:01 AM
Yeah plus people don't tend to age linearly. A lot of times it's pretty hard to tell how old someone is if they're between like 18-30, 35-45. Then things can kinda hit a wall because hormones start changing rapidly again and you age like you do in your teens except you're not happy about it.

that's pretty well put. You never really hear it laid out in that manner. Kinda makes aging a little more of a bummer when you really think about it.

fuzzyroes
07-10-2014, 05:11 AM
Can anyone give me a few of the fan-fave tracks from Swans? I've never even heard of the group aside from members here raving about them

Trotskilicious
07-10-2014, 06:02 AM
no, it's not for you

fuzzyroes
07-10-2014, 06:24 AM
what kind of genre are they anyways?

fuzzyroes
07-10-2014, 06:26 AM
I'm checking out their wikipedia page now.

So they're one of those Pixies type bands reforming again due to their new found popularity?

Seems pretty weak

Trotskilicious
07-10-2014, 06:37 AM
seriously shut the fuck up right now

Shallowed
07-10-2014, 06:39 AM
Public Castration Is a Good Idea

Trotskilicious
07-10-2014, 06:44 AM
Visualize Total Annihilation

Cool As Ice Cream
07-10-2014, 06:45 AM
Lemon Party

Shallowed
07-10-2014, 07:01 AM
Lemon Party isn't their best but it's a good introduction to the band.

fuzzyroes
07-10-2014, 07:18 AM
I checked out a few tracks from "the great annihilator" It's alright. Kinda sounds like Sonic youth with low, lazy vocals

Cool As Ice Cream
07-10-2014, 07:37 AM
thanks for letting us know! it's much appreciated.

Shallowed
07-10-2014, 07:38 AM
Any Swans fans here?

Cool As Ice Cream
07-10-2014, 07:39 AM
muse, anyone?

Shallowed
07-10-2014, 07:42 AM
Hey flurryzeos, what did you think of this song?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/bZaUc1xhLGA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

awwwwwwwesome

MusicMan4
07-10-2014, 08:38 PM
The lyrics on Siamese Dream are good and I am not embarrassed by any of them

Ram27
07-10-2014, 09:07 PM
Love is suicide

panda show
07-11-2014, 03:08 AM
I spin off and lose my head

Lysergic
07-11-2014, 12:14 PM
i'm new here! i used to post on here back in the late 90's (as well as on BLAMO. LOL that battle between you guys was hilarious.) anyway, hi! i'm wesley! i like playing my rhodes, my drums, and taking psychedelic drugs (hah).

to answer the OP's question, it isn't that hard for me to care, really. my first album i ever owned was a copy of siamese dream that my dad gave me back in 1994. i will state freely that i do not care much for anything the pumpkins have done since machina but i do feel that b0lly still has good stuff up his sleeves. he just needs to find the right people to play it with (like maybe getting james or at least jimmy back? pipe dream.)...but machina and prior shaped me into the person i am today. i will forever be grateful for the smashing pumpkins. they were and are always there for me. that's my two cents.

Poots
07-11-2014, 12:15 PM
Your backstory is too elaborate. Who are you really? You are such a liar.

Lysergic
07-11-2014, 12:18 PM
Your backstory is too elaborate. Who are you really? You are such a liar.

i used to post on the old official Smashing Pumpkins board when their site was all cool and laden with flash back in the machina era. i'm the motherfucker that was doing all those "pumpkinland" posts about an imaginary island. ...i was pretty imaginative.

i'm kenny fuckin powers.

panda show
07-11-2014, 12:39 PM
Your backstory is too elaborate. Who are you really? You are such a liar.oh the irony

Poots
07-11-2014, 12:49 PM
Who are you panda show? Are you really James Iha? You are lying to yourself. Your solo albums suck.

panda show
07-11-2014, 01:02 PM
Your solo albums suck.they sound more like the smashing pumpkins than anything corgan released since 2000

Ram27
07-11-2014, 01:11 PM
It's interesting that there are multiple new people here now.

I wonder why.

THE PANOPTICON can't be that enticing, can it?

Poots
07-11-2014, 01:14 PM
they sound more like the smashing pumpkins than anything corgan released since 2000

Why don't you go back to the skunk hairdo? That was what you were known for. That's what you do best. The skunk.

Lysergic
07-11-2014, 02:04 PM
Why don't you go back to the skunk hairdo? That was what you were known for. That's what you do best. The skunk.

NOW you remember. except mine was all black. there wasn't any blond in that shit. HAH! :D (but i'm glad those photos no longer exist)

Lysergic
07-11-2014, 02:07 PM
also, trolling people who just signed up to a message board is still a thing? bahahaha! i love it. takes me back!

panda show
07-12-2014, 08:57 AM
Why don't you go back to the skunk hairdo? That was what you were known for. That's what you do best. The skunk.no, in fact that was a wig, I'm actually bald

autumn_amnesiac
07-17-2014, 10:51 PM
fucking margin

autumn_amnesiac
07-17-2014, 10:52 PM
i remember growing up around mtv-awards mellon collie time. saw the videos for 1979, tonight tonight and was fascinated with the band. caught some things during the adore and machina era.
really fell in love with the band around middle school and going through their discography.
there's was a pivotal point around the beginning of high-school where i found bjork's vespertine and adore that just helped me branch out into more the more electronic side. vespertine really pushed me towards the idm side of music and adore just gave me more of an understanding of what you can do with a musical-pallet. again, during this time i was a hardcore tool/apc/random metal fan.
all their albums are great, but there's just something about adore/machina 1/2 that i just love much more than their earlier works.
i really liked the electronic vibes of the future embrace if that even matters. when i heard that the band was reuniting i was so excited, but listening to the music and watching the performances were such a let down. i used to bash oceania, but i can listen to that album thes days without much issue.
really, i just want closure regarding the machina 2 times. to finally hear that album in a non-vinyl sourced form would be amazing. hopefully the metro show as well, but i think that's asking too much.