View Full Version : In this thread complain about Science Fiction

scottytheoneand
07-06-2014, 06:46 PM
monte

scottytheoneand
07-06-2014, 06:52 PM
Binge watching the first season of Defiance. It's a solid cable TV scifi show. OK mix of B quality scifi ideas and enough production budget to make it happen.

Why do the writers make all of the alien races physically compatible with humans? Does anybody buy the idea that a dozen different alien races from 5000 light years away would show up on earth and all have male-female sexes and genitals?

it's lazy writing.

Bread Regal
07-06-2014, 07:02 PM
really.

The exploding boy
07-06-2014, 07:05 PM
yes.

I remember in the Alien nation film James Caan tries to kick an alien in the nuts and nothing happens, then his alien cop buddy tells him hitting him in the armpits would have produced the proper reaction........

I kinda have an issue at this point with shows with aliens always speaking english too. Even if they had been around humans for a long time and were familiar with the language, really all of them speak it perfectly with no accent? Say what you will about SW but at least any non human like creature usually speak another language (now why people in a galaxy far far away even speak english is another matter entirely). Or with a jamaican accents for some reason...

Give me some shit like everyone has an inner ear translator at least, babel fish, what have you. Doctor Who does that, it's the Tardis, it translates everything in a certain radius. Lazy? Kinda, but its acknowledged at least. Besides you can't fault Doctor Who for that, getting around that kind of tech shit without having to explain it is what they do. Its implied the technology of time lords is so advanced it's pointless to even try to explain it. wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff.

The exploding boy
07-06-2014, 07:08 PM
i think the compatible sexual organs though is just proof that God created the whole of the universe.

The exploding boy
07-06-2014, 07:09 PM
also nerds like the idea of fucking something with blue or green skin

Shallowed
07-06-2014, 07:17 PM
Does New York enjoy seeing itself constantly get destroyed by shit?

scottytheoneand
07-06-2014, 07:28 PM
Star Trek gets past the language issue with the Universal Translator

On Defiance they do have different languages. They all speak it English as a common language because they're in North America and it's the common language. I think thats a reasonable explanation considering the genre.

scottytheoneand
07-06-2014, 07:30 PM
the smart thing Whedon did with firefly was to make everyone human.

The exploding boy
07-06-2014, 08:10 PM
well they're colonists right? i mean originally. From earth I tend to like those kind of universe best.

Plus the alien shit is often just a lame excuse to tackle racial issues in sci fi.

I don't know anyway, i think all sci fi shows suck pretty much. Even the critically acclaimed ones like BSG. I tried watching this like two years after it ended. Not one interesting relatable character. I stopped like two episodes short of the end of the first season when i realised they could do whatever to any character and i wouldn't give two fucks.

Aside from Doctor who i don't know.........i like Doctor Who because it doesn't take itself seriously and yet IS pretty clever AND has great characterization and interactions. And give the premise of the show, the possibilities are almost endless when it comes to episode plots. In fact Doctor Who is at this point my favorite show ever, regardless of genre. I think.

juliana
07-06-2014, 08:31 PM
monte

Lols

scottytheoneand
07-06-2014, 08:57 PM
please ban TEB

duovamp
07-06-2014, 09:49 PM
Thread is now about slangin dem trees.

Bread Regal
07-06-2014, 09:54 PM
i'm not a scifi fan by any means but it's clear to me that if you can't enjoy the work because something is implausible w.r.t. the setting or some other plot device like the holodeck, you're really really missing the point of it.

Trotskilicious
07-06-2014, 10:53 PM
YUUUUUUUUUUUUP

Trotskilicious
07-06-2014, 10:53 PM
here's my complaint: MOAR CYBERPUNK YOU FUCKS

The exploding boy
07-06-2014, 11:20 PM
please ban TEB

BSG fan? Wouldn't be surprised if your'e watching shit like Defiance.

Trotskilicious
07-06-2014, 11:23 PM
bsg is great shut the fuck up ariel

The exploding boy
07-06-2014, 11:33 PM
It's not my fault you're all so undiscriminating, Brendan.

Trotskilicious
07-06-2014, 11:38 PM
i dunno if hating everything but doctor who which gets fucking retarded sometimes/often is "discriminating"

Trotskilicious
07-06-2014, 11:46 PM
pretty much all sci fi except blade runner is great/terrible in some measure, the great has to outweigh the terrible

like star wars looks cool but it's fucking corny
star trek is interesting but it can be pretty slow and stuffy
BSG has great concepts and characters but gets really ridiculous
mass effect has a great environment and characters but it gets too fucking serious
dr who is really funny and imaginative but it can also be very very silly

Trotskilicious
07-07-2014, 12:30 AM
it's pretty homophobic, belty

The exploding boy
07-07-2014, 01:49 AM
i dunno if hating everything but doctor who which gets fucking retarded sometimes/often is "discriminating"

true. I can totally understand when people don't care for the show i have to say.

But i mean like any series it will have lesser episodes. I still find it difficult to point at episodes and say this or that one was completely awful and had no redeeming quality. At best they're just a little boring or seem like they've been done before.

Its a show you can forgive a lot to because it wears its silliness on its sleeve.

scottytheoneand
07-07-2014, 06:40 AM
BSG was one of the best scifi series of the past few decades. it's up there with Star Trek TNG, Deep Space Nine, X Files, etc.

scottytheoneand
07-07-2014, 06:40 AM
Fringe too

Trotskilicious
07-07-2014, 07:15 AM
baltarstar gaiuslactica

scottytheoneand
07-07-2014, 08:25 AM
fracking Toasters!

The exploding boy
07-07-2014, 12:16 PM
Don't get me started on the fake swearing bullshit.

Like in the Shadowrun universe. Drek for shit and frag for fuck. Lame. I hate when they decide to invent their own slang.

To me BSG was sci-fi for boring people who don't really like sci-fi. You guys probably thought Starbuck was the shit. i was just hoping she would die soon.

Shut up, this is a thread to bitch about sci-fi.

scottytheoneand
07-07-2014, 12:18 PM
Did anybody see Europa Report?

For an independent film with a modest budget they did a good job of depicting a trip to the outer Solar System. The only part that made me cringe was when the radio breaks. That's a key piece of tech on a spaceship. There's always a redundant system built in to ensure that doesn't happen. For all the work they did to depict scientifically accurate artificial gravity, the length of the trip, the surface of Europa, etc. They could have come up with a better plot device than a broken radio transmitter

scottytheoneand
07-07-2014, 12:19 PM
the reason you hate everything is because you hate yourself.

why do we all have to experience your self loathing?

Don't get me started on the fake swearing bullshit.

Like in the Shadowrun universe. Drek for shit and frag for fuck. Lame. I hate when they decide to invent their own slang.

To me BSG was sci-fi for boring people who don't really like sci-fi. You guys probably thought Starbuck was the shit. i was just hoping she would die soon.

Shut up, this is a thread to bitch about sci-fi.

The exploding boy
07-07-2014, 12:48 PM
I don't really hate myself. I think i'm generally more clever than most people, more self aware and i'm pretty much convinced i always hold the moral higher ground. I'm clever enough too to realise that's apparently what most people think about themselves so i'm aware i could also be wrong but probably am not, in general. I certainly feel a smug sense of superiority over you. I don't love myself either though because that would be delusional. Nobody should love themselves, it leads to ego. Though to be fair if i had an ego i'd probably be successful because i'm just intelligent enough to be and actually have some talents (that i keep squandering or just plain ignoring). I sometimes wish i had been dumber as my life would be better off. I could sit and watch shows like Defiance and enjoy them. I'd find pleasure in simpler things instead of sitting around in apathy everyday painfully aware that there is pretty much no reason to strive towards anything at all, ever. I'd have a house, a car, two dogs and a wife that wears nothing but yoga apparel and could afford vacations in Europe. It would be a life.

scottytheoneand
07-07-2014, 02:09 PM
what you think and what you are seem to be two different things.

you're not even good at Trolling

The exploding boy
07-07-2014, 02:19 PM
Maybe i underestimated you.

The exploding boy
07-07-2014, 03:50 PM
My ego keeps writing checks my body can't cash.

Yeah i'm not sure that makes sense either but i always wanted to say that. Maybe brain would be better.

I tried to have Scotty lose his shit at me and it didn't work. Looking back it was stupid, he's been hanging around SP boards a bit, clearly that wasn't bound to work. An amateur's mistake, i'm ashamed. Though there are about two sentences of truth in there.

Also clearly i'm just jealous of people who have lives. And terribly insecure.

Trotskilicious
07-07-2014, 04:29 PM
i can't believe this idiot dick hates future slang

we're not going to talk the same in the future, chummer

The exploding boy
07-07-2014, 04:46 PM
yeah well i just hope the lingo isn't as fucking lame, drekhead.

The exploding boy
07-07-2014, 04:57 PM
my issue with it is its just a stupid sounding way to get around saying fuck and shit. And i mean how long has the word fuck been around? In regards to Shadowrun, you really think it will have been replaced by something else by 2050? I doubt it. same for shit.

scottytheoneand
07-07-2014, 05:06 PM
In the case of Firefly they use Chinese. Which was amart, since the the universe created on the show apparently had a strong Chinese influence.

On BSG it was simply a way to write dialogue that would make sense for soldiers in a war situation without running afoul of the censors in the US.

Trotskilicious
07-07-2014, 05:36 PM
too bad there aren't any chinese people on firefly, practically ever

scottytheoneand
07-07-2014, 07:24 PM
too bad there aren't any chinese people on firefly, practically ever

Joss can blame that on being canceled so early.

slunken
07-07-2014, 07:48 PM
Never seen the show. I print their official merch though.

Trotskilicious
07-07-2014, 07:49 PM
firefly?

slunken
07-07-2014, 07:49 PM
Yea. And archer too.

slunken
07-07-2014, 07:52 PM
I only mention archer because I've seen you mention it before. Not trying to be braggy or w/e if you could call it that

mxzombie
07-07-2014, 07:53 PM
i never cared much for sci-fi, and definitely not the harder stuff like dune or the cartoonish types of things like the shows scotty's talking about. but ray bradbury's short stories--what i've read of them, anyway--are incredibly compelling. i always recommend the illustrated man but that's probably because it was the first anthology i read.

Trotskilicious
07-07-2014, 07:58 PM
okay first of all, dune is not hard science fiction, it's far more cartoonish than BSG...

mxzombie
07-07-2014, 08:00 PM
okay first of all, dune is not hard science fiction, it's far more cartoonish than BSG...

well i haven't read dune and i've only seen small bits of battlestar galactica. i guess i just imagined what it would be like. a friend of mine got all caught up trying to explain dune to me. i got lost. it was probably more his fault, though. he wasn't much of a raconteur

slunken
07-07-2014, 08:04 PM
Bradbury's short story "the long rain" is one of the best things ever.

mxzombie
07-07-2014, 08:07 PM
Bradbury's short story "the long rain" is one of the best things ever.

yeah that's one of my favorites, as well as the rocket man and kaleidoscope

slunken
07-07-2014, 08:13 PM
I always thought "the rocket" - not to be confused with rocket man - could have been an influence for the rocket video by sp

scottytheoneand
07-07-2014, 08:29 PM
bradbury is my favorite scifi author.

problem with 99% of science fiction is that it's mostly all about depicting cool tech or weird aliens. the best scifi like all good fiction deals with humanity and says something about it. I'm not saying there's no place for mindless entertainment. Just that there's a hierarchy of quality and the few like Bradbury are at the top.

scottytheoneand
07-07-2014, 08:41 PM
also, Heinlein is misogynist asshole

The exploding boy
07-07-2014, 09:22 PM
bradbury is my favorite scifi author.

problem with 99% of science fiction is that it's mostly all about depicting cool tech or weird aliens. the best scifi like all good fiction deals with humanity and says something about it. I'm not saying there's no place for mindless entertainment. Just that there's a hierarchy of quality and the few like Bradbury are at the top.

K Dick.

The exploding boy
07-07-2014, 09:23 PM
btw i was just saying k, dick.

Order 66
07-07-2014, 09:28 PM
lurve me some PKD

valis changed my life.

Order 66
07-07-2014, 09:29 PM
i remembered when i first read that i was so engrossed brought it to school and ignored my teacher in every period and just read it. they probably figured well he's a burnout anyway just let him keep reading

scottytheoneand
07-08-2014, 02:48 PM
I'm looking forward to GOTG. Partly because Gunn is in charge of the film and partly because it looks so cool. Also because Karen Gillan is Nebula

http://static2.hypable.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/guardians-of-the-galaxy-nebula-karen-gillan-hd-images.jpg

scottytheoneand
07-08-2014, 02:51 PM
one of my peeves regarding the last 2 decades of outer space scifi films is that they all borrow too much visually from a handful of movies like Alien.

io9.com has a long fanboyish article online today quoting Gunn about that very thing...

http://io9.com/the-guardians-of-the-galaxy-set-got-us-excited-for-spac-1601710703

[On the visuals of the movie] "When Blade Runner came out and especially, even actually when Alien came out, it kind of changed how all science fiction movies were designed after that. And that was a really great thing. Now we're watching a lot of movies that are xeroxes of xeroxes of xeroxes of xeroxes of Blade Runner. The way that you can be a serious science fiction movie is by being dark and then sometimes kind of Japanese. It's just been too much stuff like that and then there's a certain sort of white look that's like the utopian science fiction, that's a completely different thing. That's gotten equally boring. "

"I really wanted to keep the grittiness of those movies because I like that. I like the—especially in Alien, how these guys were working in outer space and what they're doing in their daily working lives. I like keeping the grittiness of it but I wanted to bring back some of the color of the 1950's and 60's. You know, pulp science fiction movies and inject a little bit more of that pulp feel into things. So, that's where I think that comes from. There's the pulp mixed with the grittiness and that's been throughout the whole movie—the beauty mixed with the ugliness."

http://31.media.tumblr.com/0f986f28b72c20aaf1a57ff4c63fa511/tumblr_mhro4xd0Op1r6md8po1_1280.jpg

The exploding boy
07-08-2014, 03:34 PM
the thing is i think no movie managed to look as great as blade runner. Everything today is too slick for one. I'm bored with that shit. Apparently Nolan had everyone on the crew for Batman Begins watch BR because he wanted to go for that kind of aesthetics. Hmmm...fail? It looks nothing like BR to me.......

scottytheoneand
07-08-2014, 03:38 PM
you are an idiot

Trotskilicious
07-08-2014, 03:55 PM
bladerunner looks pretty cool doe

Trotskilicious
07-08-2014, 03:59 PM
GOTG looks kind of cool and i like andy as the hero and it looks like it's not v. srs buttttt

i would like to know why the guy who wrote the scooby doo movies getting so much hype as a director

The exploding boy
07-08-2014, 04:36 PM
you are an idiot

I don't know, just making such statements without explaining why makes you look worse i think.

The exploding boy
07-08-2014, 04:37 PM
GOTG looks kind of cool and i like andy as the hero and it looks like it's not v. srs buttttt

i would like to know why the guy who wrote the scooby doo movies getting so much hype as a director

Slither was alright but i liked Super a lot. Aside from Ellen Page.

scottytheoneand
07-08-2014, 05:01 PM
I don't know, just making such statements without explaining why makes you look worse i think.

no

Trotskilicious
07-08-2014, 05:13 PM
also i saw that John C. Reilly and Peter Serafinowicz make cameos

makes me think it's a comedy

and it should be

scottytheoneand
07-08-2014, 07:50 PM
one fear I had for the film is that the only humor in it is all in the trailer. based on early reviews that doesn't seem to be the case.

Trotskilicious
07-08-2014, 07:59 PM
You wouldn't get Andy Dwyer to be the star if you weren't gonna crack some jokes

scottytheoneand
07-10-2014, 03:56 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/nZuvOzN1yOQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Trotskilicious
07-10-2014, 04:23 PM
you know what makes me sick

people thinking they are into nerdy shit because they like star wars

PRETTY MUCH EVERYONE LIKES STAR WARS