07-05-2014, 01:12 AM
I don't have one. Next.

Neither do I

Trotskilicious
07-05-2014, 01:12 AM
i'm fine

Shallowed
07-05-2014, 01:38 AM
We were severely understaffed at my previous job, as front line staff at a bakery. I'd be working overtime most nights closing the store. It was so much better when there's two people on because we could do twice the work in half the time and be able to have our proper breaks.

The owners are not business people. They bought a bakery and started a business more or less for the fun of it, not because they knew what they were doing.

I'm so glad that I left that place.

Bread Regal
07-05-2014, 01:45 AM
The owners are not business people. They bought a bakery and started a business more or less for the fun of it, not because they knew what they were doing.That's kind of a mean thing to do to one's employees.

Bread Regal
07-05-2014, 01:47 AM
it allows me to interact with some cool people
they let me pretty much choose my schedule
pay is not good but better than other comparable work
good job while im in school

i mean fuck the customers i hate them and the company woah terrible
i wanna ask you.

are you supposed to put the baskets below the conveyer belt or just hand them to the cashier.

Trotskilicious
07-05-2014, 01:47 AM
oh darling isn't just a lark? I do wish the help didn't look so scruffy and unhappy though, are you sure you're paing them the minimum wage, dear?

Bread Regal
07-05-2014, 01:51 AM
i worked at a smoothie franchise that was operated by a guy who got a sizable amount of money somehow and opened the place without a clue of how to run it and ran it into the ground in like 8 months.

if customers actually showed up it would have happened faster.

Shallowed
07-05-2014, 01:54 AM
That's kind of a mean thing to do to one's employees.

I could list a lot of bad decisions and poor management examples, but that about sums up the situation there.

The exploding boy
07-05-2014, 01:55 AM
I'm gonna bitch about some of the ways i earns moneys instead.

So i had a medical trial scheduled i'd been accepted and all and then they call me and go it's
"yo homes, it's been postponed".
And i'm like"what bitch? postponed? getafuckouttahere, aight so when will this shit be at then?"
And they're like "listen homes, fuck if i know. Could be a week. could be a month, bitches ain't tellin' me shit."
"Well that's just wack" i says.
"yeah but check it out yo, you can have a priority in another trial if you want it".
So i'm like "now you're talkin', i think imma do that"

So i get another trial, and it pays 160$ more than the other trial did (so like 1735$) but it's 48 hours longer and there's two returns visits (that's like about 4 hours total) more than the other trial and the shit drags on until mid august. And that's worth just 160 more? normally should be more like 300 to 400 more.
"Fuck this shit" i says "but aight, i need the cash yo, it's hard out here for a white nerd boy who pretend to be some sort of pimp"
"don't i know it" he says "and you aint' gettin no breakfast on the mornin' of the drug takin either and y'all be getting blood draws in the middle of the motherfuckin night"
And i'm like you gotta be jokin' but I know that sucka ain't.

Then Ubisoft sends me some E-MAIL and is like "hey brah, you can take part in one of our playtests for like 200$ if you like, whatcha sayin' uh? you want to make some cold hard cash spending too much time playing over and over some unfinished broken sequences in our next polished turd we'll probably call Assassins creed something or other?" so i'm like "ya i'm cool, when's the dates?" and they lay it on me and AWW HELL NO its on days i'll be gone for that new trial.

Life's a bitch.

Trotskilicious
07-05-2014, 02:05 AM
randymarshturd.gif

noyen
07-05-2014, 02:06 AM
i don't believe your bit about being asked to playtest games and get paid for it. in all of my 13 something years of making video games, never once has anyone ever been given any money. on AAA titles. this includes microsoft, ea, activision, take2, ubisoft and acclaim (and dozens more). free pizza and soda, yes. free video games highly likely. i call bullshit.

Bread Regal
07-05-2014, 02:16 AM
i just wrote like 8 paragraphs on one stupid thing at the best job i've ever had. i don't think i will post it.

Bread Regal
07-05-2014, 02:17 AM
is play testing different from the kind of testing they do in gramma's boy where you have to file bug reports and shit

Bread Regal
07-05-2014, 02:19 AM
randymarshturd.gif
the big block of test is reminiscent of a towering piece of shit.

noyen
07-05-2014, 02:23 AM
is play testing different from the kind of testing they do in gramma's boy where you have to file bug reports and shit

yes. playtests to the public are when testers and devs observe simpletons for a couple of hours and listen to their gripes/likes in order to justify a direction or cut in the games direction or what needs more focus. they compensate with free games/old stock or maybe if they're lucky a copy of the game when it comes out. people who work on the games rarely get copies of that shit. no fucking way is cash being paid. load of horse shit.

this video makes people commit suicide when you send it around at work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRWvfMLl4ho

Bread Regal
07-05-2014, 02:24 AM
but i will say this about my job. about half the students that come in want help with statistics. none of the tutors (including myself) like doing statistics (the reasons for which comprised most of the post that i deleted).

but somehow i am the only one who teaches statistics. when a student asks for help with stats, they just say "i don't do stats" and walk away. but i do it because i'm not a lazy piece of shit. and my boss, who knows nothing about the work we do, doesn't find this unusual. i'm often the only one on staff who supports it.

noyen
07-05-2014, 02:28 AM
grandmas boy is somewhat close to how it really is though. god i love that movie.

noyen
07-05-2014, 02:29 AM
i am the boss of me and i fucking hate everyone on the planet.

Bread Regal
07-05-2014, 02:34 AM
i think i mentioned in the past that i lived in a house full of QA guys from EA/Tiburon and they loved that movie too.

they all worked on NFL Head Coach for like 6 months. that sounds like hell to me.

Trotskilicious
07-05-2014, 02:39 AM
that game was fucking horrible, did they make moer?

Bread Regal
07-05-2014, 02:41 AM
i think they did a couple FIFA's, too.

EA Tiburon is the studio where EA Sports titled are developed.

Trotskilicious
yes. playtests to the public are when testers and devs observe simpletons for a couple of hours and listen to their gripes/likes

oh my god i'm imagining this scene right now with some hapless person listens to the exploding boy's gripes about a game he just played for 20 minutes and how much he hates every single thing about it

Trotskilicious
i think they did a couple FIFA's, too.

EA Tiburon is the studio where EA Sports titled are developed.

more like where madden is developed

Bread Regal
07-05-2014, 02:46 AM
yeah basically.

noyen
07-05-2014, 02:48 AM
yeah i remember you mentioning that. tiburon is where ea treats it's testers slighty better than the outsourced ones in louisiana and south america. and they treat them awful and pay them shit. i heard a grandmas boy 2 is coming out.

sports games are the worst. i was on madden for a few years and dear lord hell. as well as tiger woods amongst a dozen other sports games. churning out the same rehashed shit from the previous version with more shit added to it. but really all the games are hell to test. they all become hell. i cannot enjoy a video game anymore. they all suck aside from a few here and there. my dream of working on a skateboarding game never came true. that's all i really ever wanted. first dj hero game was due in large part to me and a small group of people prototyping before activision swooped in and bought our company and tossed their previous dj game and took our scratch dj game and just renamed it and other people got credit for it. i hate the game industry. vile.

Trotskilicious
07-05-2014, 02:50 AM
i always loved the "genius dev" on grandma's boy

noyen
07-05-2014, 02:54 AM
oh my god i'm imagining this scene right now with some hapless person listens to the exploding boy's gripes about a game he just played for 20 minutes and how much he hates every single thing about it

it is a comical and tragic scene. playtests are usually done to validate the inflated ego of some asshole who thinks their idea is great and we should all go in that direction and it always backfires and people hate it and then it ends up validating the people who were complaining about a certain mechanic or whatever that people begged a year for. i have fond memories of seeing it play out in front of me where an argument actually occurred between a producer and a hired qa person while the playtester sat in the middle of it trying to cater to both because he thought somehow that would help please everyone. and it is totally people like exploding boy that come in and do them and then go back to their job at gamestop and strut around telling people they had some sort of impact on a game because they are UberGamer l33t twitcher. it is a sad world.

Bread Regal
07-05-2014, 02:57 AM
i can't imagine any field that could be referred to as "the ______ industry" being anything but completely loathsome.

like even cool things can be ruined by amending the word "industry" to them.

the sex industry
the drug industry
the rock and roll industry

Trotskilicious
07-05-2014, 02:58 AM
god damn taht is a quotable notable

Bread Regal
07-05-2014, 03:03 AM
im thinking now that t.e.b. was the hapless target of some rogue eugenics movement and dodged the bullet because of a scheduling conflict.

noyen
07-05-2014, 03:07 AM
i can't imagine any field that could be referred to as "the ______ industry" being anything but completely loathsome.

like even cool things can be ruined by amending the word "industry" to them.

the sex industry
the drug industry
the rock and roll industry

Truth, preach on. Product. Sales. Marketing. Demographics. Any of those involved its vile. As Bill Hicks said.... Kill yourself. Marketing people have done things to completely screw over real life efforts I can't even start... They print some bullshit selling bullshit and then someone has to make that bullshit cuz some asshole behind a desk wrote something or said something in a magazine or puts out an ad with rendered graphics and then they're like oh... Can't you guys make that happen in a week or two... Let's throw some features in during the last month of development. sorry I'm still traumatised by it even though I stopped working in it.

Trotskilicious
07-05-2014, 03:09 AM
i worked with something related to marketing and it's seriously the most thoughtless bullshit industry that has ever existed

Trotskilicious
07-05-2014, 03:09 AM
the ruiners of everything good

noyen
07-05-2014, 03:29 AM
individual people are marketing their person/image as a brand now too. All these internet famous nobodies with zero talent and ridiculous ego and a personality a micron deep if not pure oatmeal brains. These are the people who invite you to follow their hallow life. The ones who talk to people they don't even know just to get noticied. "Johnathan Davis of korn favd my tweet on 02/5/2013 and followed me for 3 hours. Follow me on Instagram where pictures of my feet and cats get billions of likes while brilliant photographer ready to blow his head off doesn't even have the internet and real life is happening and a retarded baby is on the way and the house is in foreclosure and his wife has cancer. Meanwhile check me out taking a shit at Walmart throwing shade on blah blah blah. I want to die.

Trotskilicious
07-05-2014, 03:33 AM
i have to defend sports games a little bit here. i understand better than anyone that they pretty much release the same version of the game they made for that perticular generation of hardware and just add new shit to it or just take features away and just kind of fuck with superficial crap but NBA 2k, as far as the simulation and feel lof a real sport, is pretty fucking incredible. they do the same kind of EXECUTIVE PRODUCED BY JAY Z bullshit that makes it feel cheap but the core of it is really a pretty loving rendition of NBA basketball

not EA, i might add. ruiners of all things good.

noyen
07-05-2014, 03:36 AM
If fun is had it is a success for you (and EA). I enjoy playing GTA as much as the next guy. The bizness behind it is what's fucked. The product itself can still be great and have an effect on culture/give people something to live for. Everyone needs a hobby and a passion and should like something just to enjoy something out of life. But exploding boy will not hear dat noise. I hear you tho.

noyen
07-05-2014, 03:39 AM
I ain't even into sports (I love watching ufc/mma tho - guilty pleasure). But we don't have to take our clothes off to have a good time. We can even hate and like different things because that is what friends are for. To guilt you and shame you for the things you love

Trotskilicious
07-05-2014, 03:39 AM
what about the proliferation of indie games lately, i've found some of them to be astoundingly good to the point of being indistinguishable from AAA titles

also they're willing to do stuff like go back to 2d iso views with updated graphics and shit like that, instead of the FPS or DIE mentality of consoles these days

noyen
07-05-2014, 03:42 AM
Indie world is small and sweet and sour. Indie game the movie is a great look at that. However, all of them are eventually assimalted and ruined. They do exist like desert flowers though. Fez, Limbo, etc... But I've only heard sad endings for all of them for the most part.

Trotskilicious
07-05-2014, 03:44 AM
me too

it would be nice if they refused and resisted but this culture is so shallow and shitty about money

pr maybe not, maybe the buyout is just the safest route

vixnix
07-05-2014, 03:56 AM
apache infatuation blessing

hnibos
07-05-2014, 07:12 AM
Wish I made more money but there are some days where I don't really do anything (like today). I more or less choose my days off. If I want to go home early I probably can. The worst part is the people. It's a fancy hotel so guests can be pretty awful and most of my coworkers are shitty people. Whatevs. My dad started another business and wants me to be a part of it and I may.

yo soy el mejor
07-05-2014, 08:05 AM
i like where i work just fine; it's a beautiful place in the middle of a crime and drug-ridden area. my boss treats me well and i can tell he generally likes me, but a couple of girls in my department are pretty lazy and dull. and what i currently do isn't what i would call mentally stimulating or challenging. however, that is currently undergoing some changes so i can't complain.

i get along well with everyone and have a couple pals - they're both janitors. BUT i did train a volunteer last Sunday who may be back other Sundays. i really liked her and will probably invite her to the staff party in August.

reprise85
07-05-2014, 08:13 AM
i wanna ask you.

are you supposed to put the baskets below the conveyer belt or just hand them to the cashier.

hand them to the cashier

vixnix
07-05-2014, 08:33 AM
my job is awesome - too awesome for me. some days I think I'll quit, other days I keep deluding myself that I am capable of holding down a job and being a good mum to my kids. I'm not capable of that. I'm barely capable of feeding and dressing myself. It's concerning.

slunken
07-05-2014, 02:06 PM
hand them to the cashier

No kidding? Do you the stuff out first?

Mooney
07-05-2014, 06:09 PM
i love my job. i do a lot of research and development type experiments and whatnot, new product development, and do final acceptance testing on our big multi-million dollar projects which customers and certifications persons are flown in to witness. i also make lightning indoors sometimes. i'm also the go to electrical guy in the building to wire up all the mechanical guys' contraptions with process and motor controls, data acquisition, and what have you.

the greatest thing about it is that i'm always doing different, challenging shit, and i'm never stuck doing the same thing. also, i essentially create my own workload for the most part doing things for various departments in the building and not a single person in the building--especially my boss--knows the full scope of what the fuck i'm up to at any given time.

Order 66
07-05-2014, 06:15 PM
my job would be great if the company were run by competent people. i'm surprised they can even put their clothes on in the morning

Trotskilicious
07-05-2014, 06:39 PM
it's really fucking boring

i talked to some daft dingbat from chicago that wouldn't let me talk and then basically hung up because i wasn't helping her

Trotskilicious
07-05-2014, 06:39 PM
but that was like 2 hours ago

Order 66
07-05-2014, 06:47 PM
sounds like sombodys living in the pass

FutureBoy
07-05-2014, 07:03 PM
happiest I've been in years, worst part is waking up at 6 and working saturday's.

Elphenor
07-05-2014, 07:05 PM
I have a manager that over manages and won't leave me the fuck alone

I spend more time listening to my manager tell me what to do than I actually spend doing shit

reprise85
07-05-2014, 08:55 PM
No kidding? Do you the stuff out first?

you take your shit out of the basket and then either hand the cashier the basket or put it on the belt after your stuff so the cashier can grab it.

it's very annoying when people put baskets full of shit on the belt without unloading them.

Order 66
07-05-2014, 09:06 PM
other day i got into a fight with a lady who put all her items at the end of the conveyor belt thing. i'd thought her stuff was rung up and bagged so i put my stuff on there and it collided with all her shit as she put it on there and she was like WHAT THE FUCK and i was like what do you think these things are for you dumb bitch. normally would've just bit my tongue and apologized but i was having a shitty day

Bread Regal
07-05-2014, 09:07 PM
people used to put them under the conveyor belt until i saw they started throwing cases of bottled water under there. i'm guessing that was a deterrent.

i've been meaning to ask you this question for like a year and a half but i only think about it when im at the grocery store.

yo soy el mejor
07-05-2014, 11:00 PM
glad to know i've been doing it right the whole time. and without having worked at a grocery store!

Trotskilicious
07-06-2014, 12:48 AM
i got a call today from a gentleman who "couldn't stop masturbating, i've masturbated all over the walls and i can't stop jacking off." strangely, we were disconnected at that moment. I wish him well.

The exploding boy
07-06-2014, 01:00 AM
I dont see what the problem is. For that man i mean.

reprise85
07-06-2014, 11:45 AM
people used to put them under the conveyor belt until i saw they started throwing cases of bottled water under there. i'm guessing that was a deterrent.

i've been meaning to ask you this question for like a year and a half but i only think about it when im at the grocery store.

Yeah that's exactly why they started doing the bottled water thing.

reprise85
07-06-2014, 12:56 PM
The problem with leaving them away from the cashier when it is very busy is that you will run out of baskets.

If nothing else they can put them by their feet and hand them to a bagger who is passing them. If there are literally no baggers because it is too busy, a manager or supervisor will most likely be wandering around helping where needed and you can hand it to them. You will never have a time where there is no one to hand them to unless it is so slow/late at night that the cashier can put them back him or herself.

A well run store won't run into this problem often because when it is very busy (holidays) there will be an abundance of help. Either way, please don't put them on the ground under the belt.

slunken
07-06-2014, 01:22 PM
Another thing im unsure of is regarding loyalty cards. The cashier always asks for that first and wont ring in any items until ive presented it/scanned it.

Should i empty my basket/cart first or give them the card first? Either way we are going to be waiting. If i have a cart, it doesnt make sense to push it through, present the card, pull it back, then unload.

I feel awkward when im unloading groceries onto the belt and the cashier, ten feet away, is asking for my card. Im like yes i have it please allow me to unload my groceries first. Then they arewaiting for me to do that. It feels like im being rushed or doing things out of order.

slunken
07-06-2014, 01:24 PM
Whats the proper protocol?

The exploding boy
07-06-2014, 01:33 PM
Thats weird all store with loyalty/point cards things i've been to it doesn't matter when they scan the card. First, in the middle, at the end. It's all the same. Maybe the store you go to just has a shitty system. I got this one form a grocery store recently...fucking ridiculous. you only get points on CERTAIN items, but not only that, you have to "load" these items on your card first online. so every week youre supposed to go see items that will give you points online, then load these items unto your card, then of course buy them. WHO HAS TIME FOR THIS SHIT?

At shoppers drugmart it doesnt matter what i buy, every single thing i buy there gives me points and i don't have to do anything about it (well other than hand them my card i mean). And about every five months i have ten bucks worth of points i can spend on anything. THAT'S how you fucking do it. Any store with loyalty points system not operating in a similar way can suck it.

Bread Regal
07-06-2014, 01:34 PM
pull the cart behind you.

The exploding boy
07-06-2014, 01:37 PM
or get the card ready and put it on the conveyor belt before any item?

The exploding boy
07-06-2014, 01:38 PM
ITS NOT FUCKING ROCKET SCIENCE SLUNKEN FOR GOD SAKE GET YOUR SHIT TOGETHER MAN

bignothing
07-06-2014, 01:45 PM
Self-checkout is stress-free, slunken.

I can never find any baskets at this one supermarket I go to sometimes and it drives me crazy seeing everyone with a basket and I'm left wondering what the damn secret to finding a basket is. They're not outside, not by the doors, not by the escalators, not by the stairs, not by the cashiers. I always just carry my groceries in my arms almost dropping everything.

The exploding boy
07-06-2014, 01:49 PM
Self checkout sucks where i go cause i pretty much always get those 50% off bakery goods (the kind about to go stale) but these can't be entered on self checkouts, you have to call up someone to enter them. Defeating the whole goddam point. I used to think self checkout was amazing when i first saw them in america like 13 years ago (they took a few years to get here) but now i realise id much rather have someone do this shit for me.

The exploding boy
07-06-2014, 01:56 PM
This thread is starting to feel like we're on a middle aged housewives forum.

slunken
07-06-2014, 02:24 PM
pull the cart behind you.

Im not that tall and cant reach that far

slunken
07-06-2014, 02:26 PM
I think its just a bad system at my local kroger. Probably too many past disputes with customers over prices being rung so they want to scan everything in front of the customer.

slunken
07-06-2014, 02:27 PM

The explicit rule is never put money or cards on the belt.

mxzombie
07-06-2014, 02:28 PM
self checkouts are nice unless you have to fuss with this "bagging area" nonsense where it checks the weight or dimensions of the item you just scanned before allowing you to scan another. i understand they want to validate your purchase and ensure you're bagging the items that you ring up, but it's just so tedious and inconvenient. one grocery store near me had two self checkout lanes that allowed you to scan as quickly as you want and just shove items down into a corral so that you can bag it up. that's the way to do it. almost never needed an attendant.

The exploding boy
07-06-2014, 02:28 PM
The explicit rule is never put money or cards on the belt.

Even on items? i do that a lot. Or with receipts for returned empty bottles. I think your chain just sucks.

The exploding boy
07-06-2014, 05:19 PM
most stores in canada except No Frills have baggers except if you go fairly late they might not be around.

I've never seen escalators in grocery stores though.......

yo soy el mejor
07-06-2014, 09:05 PM
i only shop at armitage produce and walgreens. i haven't come across a reason to complain yet.

yo soy el mejor
07-06-2014, 09:05 PM
i have a walgreens card, but it's connected to my phone # so i just type that into the pin pad while they ring up my stuff. it really saves a lot of green.

scottytheoneand
07-06-2014, 09:14 PM
the Starbucks in my office won't accept my Starbucks gold card. So all my cappuccinos don't count toward my free drinks.

Bread Regal
07-06-2014, 09:50 PM
discount cards should just be done away with entirely.

Mooney
07-06-2014, 10:07 PM
i love my job. i do a lot of research and development type experiments and whatnot, new product development, and do final acceptance testing on our big multi-million dollar projects which customers and certifications persons are flown in to witness. i also make lightning indoors sometimes. i'm also the go to electrical guy in the building to wire up all the mechanical guys' contraptions with process and motor controls, data acquisition, and what have you.

the greatest thing about it is that i'm always doing different, challenging shit, and i'm never stuck doing the same thing. also, i essentially create my own workload for the most part doing things for various departments in the building and not a single person in the building--especially my boss--knows the full scope of what the fuck i'm up to at any given time.

although just found out a cokehead i work with got shit-canned, so this means i'll probably have to take over a bunch of his shit. fffuuuccckkk. :(

Order 66
07-06-2014, 10:31 PM
i would do some coke to get all that work done

kelsome
07-06-2014, 10:35 PM
it's a job and it keeps me distracted. I wish i had worked this weekend instead of laying in bed.

The exploding boy
07-06-2014, 10:49 PM

here you don't get discount cards really, its just points that's worth money down the line when you have enough. I like this better.

From being in the US fairly often i find discount cards annoying. You think it's the price it said on the price tag and then its like nope you need a card. I always make that mistake at rite aid.

Trotskilicious
07-06-2014, 10:50 PM
fans of self checkout are killing american jobs

The exploding boy
07-06-2014, 11:24 PM
Yeah the computers are winning.

reprise85
07-07-2014, 12:24 AM
Another thing im unsure of is regarding loyalty cards. The cashier always asks for that first and wont ring in any items until ive presented it/scanned it.

Should i empty my basket/cart first or give them the card first? Either way we are going to be waiting. If i have a cart, it doesnt make sense to push it through, present the card, pull it back, then unload.

I feel awkward when im unloading groceries onto the belt and the cashier, ten feet away, is asking for my card. Im like yes i have it please allow me to unload my groceries first. Then they arewaiting for me to do that. It feels like im being rushed or doing things out of order.

My store doesn't have a loyalty card and I usually don't have enough items when I go to other stores for this to be an issue for me. But...

Yeah, never do this. Shit will get sucked under the belt and we may or may not be able to get it back.

What the hell stores can afford to pay baggers?
What kind of grocery stores have escalators?

1. stores that aren't discount stores like save-a-lot or wal-mart
2. stores that are two levels. you can't exactly go up the stairs with a shopping cart

Yes, absolutely.

The exploding boy
07-07-2014, 02:16 AM
i don't believe your bit about being asked to playtest games and get paid for it. in all of my 13 something years of making video games, never once has anyone ever been given any money. on AAA titles. this includes microsoft, ea, activision, take2, ubisoft and acclaim (and dozens more). free pizza and soda, yes. free video games highly likely. i call bullshit.

I just saw this because i'd skipped the first page entirely because i actually forgot i even made that post....and believe it. I receive a mail for playtests about once every three weeks (not that i do most of them, for one they question you on what you played and all and if you don't fit the profile theyre looking for..its so specific too...did you play x game and how far did you get and all that) and they either pay you money OR you pick the same value in games (and yeah they always seem to push for that over the check...). the check takes like two weeks to get to you but i never pick games. Of course a 200$ playtest is long. Like 3 or 4 days of 5 or 6 hours. The most paying one i did was actually 160. Played Assassin's Creed: Revelations for 3 days of about 6 hours. Its not well paid for the hours. On the other hand all you do is play. I gues youre right though, its not money as in "cold hard cash". It's a check.

And as for having to listen to me like trots mentioned...well... you fill questionaires more often than not but they do ask you some questions. The AC one i was the only one left at the end cause apparently i sucked more than the 5 other guys and finished the content like an hour later. Anyway the guy supervising me i guess because he had nothing left to do seemed interested in my more in depths opinions and i shared with him why i thought the AC games were alright but not great (i actually remember replaying a sequence over and over on that one and swearing under my breath and he moved forward and went "you're allowed to think this is "fucking retarded" but i'd like you to explain to me why"). He actually thought maybe i reviewed games for a living... I wish. (though no one would hire me they'd be like fuck, you have to like something sometimes you know)

Seriously none of the people i ever did this with care about sharing their opinions with the devs which i think kinda sucks. Of course i'm aware that whatever i may tell them they wont' really give a shit about. I remember on Revelations I did tell them this sequence where you have to like defend fortifications from attacks with canons and shit was boring and sure enough when the reviews came out, nobody liked that bit. It seems to me by the time playtests are done games are too far along to really make any significant changes.

I've also done EA cell phone games playtests, ALSO paid with money but in the form of prepaid credit cards.

Elphenor
07-07-2014, 02:38 AM
You're a trippy dude

Elphenor
07-07-2014, 02:39 AM
Do you actually make enough money to live through just doing random shit?

The exploding boy
07-07-2014, 02:50 AM
yes though the biggest amount DOES come from medical trials (i make between 6 to 8000$ a year with those, which at 6000$ about covers my yearly rent). And live on is barely. I'm good with money. I have to be. I don't go hungry (though i dont eat that well because of budget) and i pay for tv internet and phone but i had to take a special payment agreement for people with low income with the electricity provider because i was indebted to them like crazy and they were threatening to cut power. I also have a supremely cheap rent for the area i live in. I lucked out on that one. There is no extra though. I survive.

Elphenor
07-07-2014, 02:56 AM
Crazy

absof
07-07-2014, 03:24 AM
I had to put 800 letters through a folding machine today and the machine didn't even seal the envelopes.. :(

Cool As Ice Cream
07-07-2014, 03:53 AM
Whats the proper protocol?

"no, i don't have my card with me."

the truth is that you don't have a card, but you can't say that, because then they start asking if you'd be interested in a loyalty card.

Cool As Ice Cream
07-07-2014, 02:59 PM
i've done that as well. it makes them act all uncomfortable for some reason. also, it's a longer explanation than the lie. and the lie also saves them the trouble of the sign up talk.

i just find it's the easiest way to get past it. just say you don't have your card with you. and then they're sometimes like "oh, i'll put your points on the ticket and then you can add them later" and then i'm like "that's perfect, thanks" or "yeah whatever grmbl", but then that's it.

with their stupid points. who does that anyway?

The exploding boy
07-07-2014, 03:22 PM
YOU NEED YOUR POINTS, YOU HAVE TO GET YOUR POINTS, SIR, SIR YOUR POINTS!

Most of them are probably on the verge of a nervous breakdown.

Cool As Ice Cream
07-07-2014, 03:35 PM
nah, they're way too slow for that. if anyone is close to a nervous breakdown, it's the customers who are in a hurry. no offence.

The exploding boy
07-07-2014, 03:39 PM
I never have reason to hurry but i kinda do. I just get pissed at people who are abnormally slow. I usually have nowhere to be but i still don't like to spend what time i have in a day waiting in line more than i have to.

Cool As Ice Cream
07-07-2014, 04:06 PM
to pick the fastest line, you have to add up the ages of the people in the line. it works way better than simply counting the number of people.

slunken
07-07-2014, 04:14 PM
I don't care about the points I just want the cheaper price

Trotskilicious
07-07-2014, 04:28 PM
i remember when randalls started doing the points thing late 99 and then it was everywhere

null123
07-07-2014, 04:34 PM

At Safeway/Vons they have you scan the card yourself and you can do it at any point in the transaction. I can't believe this other way exists

I'm kind of a jackass because I genuinely enjoy using the card and watching the total price go down after the fact

The exploding boy
07-07-2014, 04:49 PM
to pick the fastest line, you have to add up the ages of the people in the line. it works way better than simply counting the number of people.

doesn't apply if you go shopping at 11pm though. There's a 24 hours grocery store near and if you go past 11pm or 12am you can only base it on how inebriated the people in either line look.

mxzombie
07-07-2014, 07:58 PM
i don't see the need to strategize so that you can reject an offer for a discount card. how many of those cashiers do you think give a shit if you say no? i just say "not today" and they continue the transaction.

source: i turn to melted butter when strangers talk to me

null123
07-07-2014, 08:00 PM
When I'm asked if I have such-and-such card I always say "no but that's ok"

slunken
07-07-2014, 08:07 PM
at Kroger it's essential to have a loyalty card. They just want to track buying habits so the prices without a card are insane compared to with one.

Sonic Johnny
07-07-2014, 08:20 PM
I work 4 days a week, get paid real good, my supervisor is one of my good friends, all te people I work with are lovely and I get breakfast, lunch, and all the coffee I can handle every day I'm there.

So yeah, worst job.

yo soy el mejor
07-08-2014, 01:03 AM
nah, they're way too slow for that. if anyone is close to a nervous breakdown, it's the customers who are in a hurry. no offence.

maan, seriously.

yo soy el mejor
07-08-2014, 01:20 AM
i don't see the need to strategize so that you can reject an offer for a discount card. how many of those cashiers do you think give a shit if you say no? i just say "not today" and they continue the transaction.

source: i turn to melted butter when strangers talk to me

this is what i say everywhere but walgreens, but you knew that.

yo soy el mejor
07-08-2014, 01:23 AM
I'm kind of a jackass because I genuinely enjoy using the card and watching the total price go down after the fact

call me partyboy

Cool As Ice Cream
07-08-2014, 02:54 AM
doesn't apply if you go shopping at 11pm though.

yeah, that doesn't exist here in belgium. shops close at 6, supermarkets between 7 and 9 pm.

Cool As Ice Cream
07-08-2014, 02:56 AM
When I'm asked if I have such-and-such card I always say "no but that's ok"

that sounds all right. i should look for an equivalent in dutch.

scottytheoneand
07-08-2014, 08:22 AM
http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--gdsL7kzz--/iu6gduky2wgzxzgyahx4.gif

Trotskilicious
07-08-2014, 04:22 PM
"I speak English, like Americans do."

killtrocity
07-08-2014, 08:20 PM
My job is awesome. I don't have to talk to dumbass customers and make my own hours.

Bread Regal
07-08-2014, 08:49 PM
What's your job again killtrocity

scottytheoneand
07-08-2014, 10:13 PM
I found a job for TOC. It's a gig with the Council on Foreign Relations!

http://www.mediabistro.com/joblistings/jobview.asp?joid=167873&c=mbeajob

Eulogy
07-08-2014, 10:25 PM
My job is mentally exhausting. I think that's because of my anxiety.

I hope that fades, and it probably will. I surprisingly enough seem to suffer from an unnecessary lack of confidence.

scottytheoneand
07-08-2014, 10:36 PM
My job is mentally exhausting. I think that's because of my anxiety.

I hope that fades, and it probably will. I surprisingly enough seem to suffer from an unnecessary lack of confidence.

My job is like that for me. The only thing that got my anxiety in check is prescription drugs.

Trotskilicious
07-08-2014, 10:46 PM
i can talk to people good

that is the most surprising thing i've learned about myself in the last 3 years

Elphenor
07-08-2014, 11:08 PM
I have all my discount cards connected to my phone number. So it's super easy, I just punch the number in.

Except for CVS who doesn't have that and their card is super small for no reason and just fuck them.

I don't like how weird cashiers get when you're like "Nah I didn't bring my card today".

toase
07-08-2014, 11:19 PM
Last year I decided I would not give a flying fuck about my job, and in the end I got promoted. I have nothing to bitch about it :(

Trotskilicious
07-08-2014, 11:36 PM
i always give a fuck and i get fired

noyen
07-09-2014, 02:49 AM
i quit my self-work, am selling everything I own and just leaving. I still don't believe exploding medical game tester boy.

The exploding boy
07-09-2014, 03:03 AM
Well fuck you then. I was gonna go on the page and link the FAQ but all they talk about is compensation which is non-specific. However i found two threads here

http://forums.us.ncix.com/forums/topic.php?id=2007710 (the pertinent quote goes :
"You get like 50$ or 2 games, well back in the day at Ubi Montreal. I would always take the money, my way of saying your games suck now lol."

and here

http://forums.us.ncix.com/forums/topic.php?id=2007710 (the quote here goes: "They said as compensation its either $30 (I'm just finishing college so $30/hr is insane for me) or a game of my choice from a "list" so I'm assuming its going to be crazy old games"

These people did a small one of a few hours though. I've done one or two likw that, its usually about that much, 30$. My first one was Shaun white Snowboarding in like 2007 for like 4 hours and it was about that much. For the time its not really worth the money but when you have nothing better to do...

What possible reason would i have had to lie about this?

noyen
07-09-2014, 03:06 AM
I just like your wall of text posts especially on the defensive. I don't really give a shit it just still seems unlikely based on my limited knowledge. anyway that YouTube video I posted a link to still makes me want to impale myself on chopsticks. I still don't believe you. just kidding. wall of text.

The exploding boy
07-09-2014, 03:10 AM
its hardly a wall of text. Omg there's like 10 sentences. Wall of text. I dont know why people have to be such pussies about reading.

and when accused of lying, i like to defend myself. Crazy i know.

noyen
07-09-2014, 03:16 AM
Well you did embellish. Dont act like you didn't. A couple free games or 30 bucks is different than hey brah come in and we'll give you 200+ dollars to play this sweet game! yes you with the golden ticket. it ain't like that so I don't believe you based on that. I have a hard time believing it for other reasons too. I've worked in it too long to think that ever happens and if it does well you're an albino unicorn. also, gamers are inherently braggers so let's go on peoples court or judge Joe Brown and get to the truth.

Mo
07-09-2014, 03:24 AM
I entered my office at 7am today and was greeted by angry shouts and curses. ALL 4500+ Active Directory users in my two domains were automatically disabled overnight. No-one knows why, no-one knows what to do.
Right now we're updating each group policy profile manually.

Someone fucking kill me already...

Add to that a boss who hates my guts but needs me, and colleagues who are close to tears (there's mayhem downstairs at our helpdesk), and I just wanna get drunk. Like, right now.

The exploding boy
07-09-2014, 03:27 AM
of course that conversation didn't happen this way. Or rather this email. But i DO receive emails maybe every three weeks and as of late all of them are about 3 to 4 days playtests which IS 200 or so at four days. Once you get the mail you click if your available or not. Then they call you, then they ask you question about your gaming habits, depending on games you played and what not you may or may not get in. It not like i'm a VIP, no, they just contact everyone in their list.

but it CAN pay upward to 200 bucks and the one i wanted to take was 3 days so more like 160 i guess.

At this point you believe what you will but this is all factual.

I have shitloads of flaws, lying isn't one of them. Otherwise i'd know not to tell everyone what i really think and then i wouldn't be such a dick. Or overshare about my life or how i feel in embarassing ways.

Cool As Ice Cream
07-09-2014, 03:28 AM
pour some whisky in your coffee!

noyen
07-09-2014, 03:32 AM
Look dude I know how it works so you explaining it back to me is like preaching to Jesus. fucking Canadians.

The exploding boy
07-09-2014, 03:35 AM
Sorry, gaming industry hotshot.

Maybe in canada theyre less shitty about playtests and are actually ok with giving people money? I don't know. Like i said, EA Montreal does it too though with prepaid credit cards.

noyen
07-09-2014, 03:38 AM
Cool story.

The exploding boy
07-09-2014, 03:48 AM
You forgot the bro, bro.

noyen
07-09-2014, 03:51 AM
Cone bra *vogues*

Trotskilicious
07-09-2014, 04:09 AM
i never brag about my gamer skills because that would be SO LAME

Bread Regal
07-16-2014, 12:23 AM
my wife and i went to target the other day and had and experience that reminded me of this thread.

we were there to buy triscuits. it was about a half hour till close. we got to check out and the cashier asked "Would you like this in a bag?"

Me: Nope.

Cashier scans and throws it in the bag. My wife goes to swipe the card for payment.

Cashier, very enthusiastically: You don't have a Target card yet?

Wife: Nope.

And what came after was 15 seconds of silence as we paid and waited for the receipt to print. It was intense. Her facial expression went from happy to fed up in about a half second. No words were exchanged by you could just <i>feel</i> her internally screaming "I'm fucking tired of this shit." The wife and I were both very tired so we didn't even make the attempt to seem nice to this lady. She didn't even say anything when she gave us our receipt. We laughed about it really hard in the parking lot.

Ah, the wonderful externalities of consumerism. The immediate area around that cash register was a nice little microcosm of america right there.

null123
07-16-2014, 01:03 AM
Lol. The pressure to give those out must be truly immense

killtrocity
07-16-2014, 01:03 AM
What's your job again killtrocity

I'm a teaching/research assistant. Get to smell E coli all day

Elphenor
07-16-2014, 01:13 AM
I hate all the card shit. But if you don't have a card now, most places charge yoy a joke of a price just to punish you

Bread Regal
07-16-2014, 02:30 AM
I'm a teaching/research assistant. Get to smell E coli all day
of course you are. what other job would a grad student have?

noyen
07-16-2014, 04:09 AM
Del. Tmi.

noyen
07-16-2014, 04:12 AM
Www.live journal.com

Marginfuckclitcuntfucktwatasslickfistingfistulapro lapse micropenis Jonathan monte LDS crestfallen smashing pumpkins billy corgan official public relations Juliana lol

noyen
07-16-2014, 04:13 AM
Ham

noyen
Peas

noyen
Creamed corn

Trotskilicious
07-16-2014, 05:00 AM
collard greens

null123
07-16-2014, 05:44 AM
I feel you noyen

Does anyone on here wanna move to siberia with me

noyen
07-16-2014, 02:48 PM
I wanna build a cabin in Alaska and be on reality TV.

Trotskilicious
07-17-2014, 12:52 AM
this is going to be callous but

every once in a while you meet a person in dire straits who is struggling because they're horrible, and nobody likes them

Trotskilicious
07-17-2014, 12:59 AM
take care

Bread Regal
07-17-2014, 01:03 AM
this is going to be callous but

every once in a while you meet a person in dire straits who is struggling because they're horrible, and nobody likes them
one of the cooler things about karma is that when you find yourself being a dick to someone, you can remind yourself that they had it coming.

Lucky Day Spa
07-17-2014, 01:07 AM
karma is classist, mannnnn

Trotskilicious
07-17-2014, 01:20 AM
i'm not a dick to them or anything but yeah lady, if you already called all these people, the salvation army "dicked you over" i'm not sure what else i can do. i'll let you bitch for a little bit but jesus, you have kids and they hate your guts so much they won't help you when you have cancer? well god i wonder why that would happen

ilikeplanets
07-17-2014, 03:32 AM
I'm not a huge fan of my job. I babysit a dementia patient, she is really trying at times. But every once in a while she says the most hilarious things.

reprise85
07-17-2014, 08:40 PM
one of the cooler things about karma is that when you find yourself being a dick to someone, you can remind yourself that they had it coming.

lol nice.

noyen
07-17-2014, 08:48 PM
I'm gonna go all ham on you

why you get banned? what is going on with this board.

Trotskilicious
07-18-2014, 02:53 AM
i dunno, it's a goddamn struggle to get banana banned but when some idiot newbie shows up then they get out the ban hammer like killing new posters is somehow making the place more readable

slunken
07-18-2014, 07:15 PM
i dunno, it's a goddamn struggle to get banana banned but when some idiot newbie shows up then they get out the ban hammer like killing new posters is somehow making the place more readable

SMASHING PUMPKINS FORUMS IS NO JOKE NO PLAYING NO RUNNING

noyen
07-18-2014, 09:17 PM
I imagine it has to do with ze Germans.

null123
07-18-2014, 09:45 PM
People should not be getting banned from Netphoria

MusicMan4
07-18-2014, 09:51 PM
i don't feel it would be appropriate to bitch about my job
i just got one and have only been at it three days and i should be thankful for getting paid again

but i will mention that in the three days i've scanned approximately 300 peoples' colonoscopy records w/ full pictures and it has been quite an experience if you ask me

Bread Regal
07-18-2014, 10:37 PM
why is glitterlips banned?

MusicMan4
07-18-2014, 10:44 PM
I've gotta work on not mixing typing out numbers in full letters with just the numbers

yo soy el mejor
07-18-2014, 10:46 PM
i'm glad rootenuugly was banned though

Order 66
07-18-2014, 10:50 PM
my job is amazing! i love my job and my life

*cries into beer

fuzzyroes
07-18-2014, 10:53 PM
why is glitterlips banned?

Drooliana and Poots got banned too.

fuzzyroes
07-18-2014, 10:54 PM
my job is amazing! i love my job and my life

*cries into beer

there there, friend. Just drink up that beer, it makes it all the more tollerable ;)

MusicMan4
07-18-2014, 10:59 PM
I don't think glitter lip should be banned even though I really don't like glitter lips but Juliana was basically an invasive species of plant that was destroying the board's environment

Order 66
07-18-2014, 10:59 PM
that it does

fuzzyroes
07-18-2014, 11:08 PM
Alcohols been my elixir to get thru my exceedingly shitty life. I'm 28, it was only 10 years ago when everything was dope, had all my dreams... was with the coolest girls....But adulthood seems to crush that shit in a hurry.

yo soy el mejor
07-18-2014, 11:10 PM
alcohol is the cause and solution to all life's problems. -homer j. simpson

Shallowed
07-19-2014, 12:54 AM
Why was Poots banned?

Trotskilicious
07-19-2014, 01:58 AM
that was completely justified

Trotskilicious
07-19-2014, 01:59 AM
i'm glad rootenuugly was banned though

a good banning is needed sometimes but obviously it's confusing why stuff like that happens

hnibos
07-19-2014, 10:14 AM
I'm going to be capitalist scum soon.

Future Boy
07-19-2014, 09:01 PM
free whoever the hell that guy is

Lucky Day Spa
07-24-2014, 06:51 AM
writing an annual performance review for one of my direct reports

she's convinced herself that she deserves a promotion that isn't going to happen

this is going to be interesting

ilikeplanets
07-24-2014, 04:22 PM
fucking can't stand this old woman. i only get paid $20 a day to care for her, too....considering I watch her for about 10 hours a day, that is NOT enough. I think I will upgrade to minimum wage soon.

Eulogy
07-24-2014, 04:55 PM
Have you heard of labor laws

ilikeplanets
07-24-2014, 05:19 PM
My mother in law is the one paying me....I thought I would be helpful and do this since she let me live there last year for a few months without rent, but this is getting to the point where she's using me.

ilikeplanets
07-24-2014, 05:20 PM
Don't home-care nurses make at least 10 an hour?? I know I'm not a nurse but 100/week is really not enough for anyone. And she expects me to have a phone to be able to check in on us, and gas to get there, and to bring my own food. HOW???

MusicMan4
07-24-2014, 09:56 PM
my job is cool
I am a productive member of society again
I can afford to pay for stuff with money
Can't wait to get paid

MusicMan4
07-24-2014, 09:58 PM
Doing office work in a warehouse environment sort of sucks
The whole advantage of an office is that it's nice and cool and comfortable
I got a desk and a chair and that is very cool but it's basically sweltering all the time
Maybe I can sweat off a few pounds though you know what I'm saying

MusicMan4
07-24-2014, 10:21 PM
Obama should ban all the illegals and isreal

Eulogy
07-25-2014, 12:18 AM
My mother in law is the one paying me....I thought I would be helpful and do this since she let me live there last year for a few months without rent, but this is getting to the point where she's using me.

Uhhhhh because you're letting her.

Eulogy
07-25-2014, 12:18 AM
Oh fuck you're married.

Trotskilicious
07-25-2014, 12:30 AM
fucking can't stand this old woman. i only get paid $20 a day to care for her, too....considering I watch her for about 10 hours a day, that is NOT enough. I think I will upgrade to minimum wage soon.

this is a real doozy of a post

Trotskilicious
07-25-2014, 12:30 AM
p sure "i just don't even" was invented to respond to posts like that

Trotskilicious
07-25-2014, 12:32 AM
Don't home-care nurses make at least 10 an hour??

*crumples into a heap on the floor*

Trotskilicious
07-25-2014, 12:44 AM
back to my job:

if there's one thing i've learned so far, it's that Pennsylvania is where the term hillbillies came from

they only had metropolitan PA insurance agents at my previous job so i had no idea before

but good god, that state

Skradgee
07-25-2014, 10:39 AM
It takes more than THREE MONTHS for my company to hire ANYONE. They deliberately make all applicants go through an extended interview process. Personality test...background check...a hiring manager said herself that they basically want your life story from high school onward, and it's just an IT company.

I signed on after another company had already hired me and then I worked that other job for two months.

Now my department is short-staffed and we're feeling the pinch. Three different applicants have gone through the interview process and not been hired, either because someone else hired them more quickly, or they must have thought "forget this". All the while, still overworked over here.

ilikeplanets
07-25-2014, 01:42 PM
Oh fuck you're married.

Yeah for almost 7 months now :love:

Eulogy
07-25-2014, 02:57 PM
I'm sure it was a good idea

scottytheoneand
07-25-2014, 03:04 PM
we moved into a new office building a month ago and I got a stand up desk. The new building has a Starbucks. And they're in the process of adding a locker room and covered bike storage for commuting. Everybody has a cubicle, but there's also a lot of cool modern furniture throughout the building that we can use whenever we feel like it. So now I only sit at my desk half the day and the rest of the day I work from the cafe or even outdoors. It's kind of cool.

hnibos
07-25-2014, 03:05 PM
I'm shadowing my dad for next x amount of months so I can take over the family business. Since forever I told myself I would not get involved, don't want anything to do with it, don't want anything to do with volusia county but now I'm here and sort of kind of excited.

Eulogy
07-25-2014, 03:08 PM
What kind of business is it?

scottytheoneand
07-25-2014, 03:09 PM
strip club

hnibos
07-25-2014, 03:12 PM
Printing business.

In actuality my dad sold the original business years ago but stayed on as a figurehead to make the clients happy (they were upset when my dad sold it) and signed on a no competition agreement thing. That has since expired and my dad doesn't want to see me hating my life anymore so he started another one.

We will make mostly cigar labels like the ones pictured below. My uncles will run the press machines.

http://stutrip.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/thompson_cigar_coupon_code.jpg

hnibos
07-25-2014, 03:12 PM
I work in hospitality, I hate my life.

slunken
07-25-2014, 04:02 PM
Printing business.

In actuality my dad sold the original business years ago but stayed on as a figurehead to make the clients happy (they were upset when my dad sold it) and signed on a no competition agreement thing. That has since expired and my dad doesn't want to see me hating my life anymore so he started another one.

We will make mostly cigar labels like the ones pictured below. My uncles will run the press machines.

that rules i want in

Elphenor
07-25-2014, 04:21 PM
My fellow employees are mostly old and grumpy. But some of them like cool music.

It's like I work with Netphorians

Eulogy
07-26-2014, 10:42 AM
Printing business.

That seems pretty neat actually. Good for you, man.

Eulogy
07-26-2014, 10:43 AM
You should demand to try every cigar before you make a label for it

hnibos
07-26-2014, 10:52 AM
Pretty sure I'm going to allow smoking in the building for that exact reason.

smashingjj
07-26-2014, 07:18 PM
I hate to bring bad news but I was talking with people in the Smashing Pumpkins camp, and everyone is VERY PISSED OFF.

Appears this definitely wasn't some sort of gift that just recently leaked out, and SP is not in the business in looking the other way when it comes to "STOLEN TRACKS".

they are gonna go after the leaker(s) with lawyers along with using private investigators and cash rewards.

Trotskilicious
07-27-2014, 12:40 AM
It takes more than THREE MONTHS for my company to hire ANYONE. They deliberately make all applicants go through an extended interview process. Personality test...background check...a hiring manager said herself that they basically want your life story from high school onward, and it's just an IT company.

I signed on after another company had already hired me and then I worked that other job for two months.

Now my department is short-staffed and we're feeling the pinch. Three different applicants have gone through the interview process and not been hired, either because someone else hired them more quickly, or they must have thought "forget this". All the while, still overworked over here.

this shit is so ridiculous

there was a similar process at my old job, it was more like it weeded out so many people and then the ones they did hire were fucking idiots so i couldn't figure out what they were wasting so much time on

any company that uses personality quizzes automatically fail at hiring people

Trotskilicious
07-27-2014, 12:41 AM
btw wasn't there an episode of sinfeld where kramer thought he would get some cuban expatriates to roll cigars for him but it turns out they were actually hondurans in cuban wrapping

yo soy el mejor
07-27-2014, 09:06 PM
there is a girl at work who gets on my nerves. she's a dolt and tattles about things that are always unfounded. and she gossips like crazy. talks too much about the most idiotic things.

Trotskilicious
07-27-2014, 09:08 PM
you're probably going to need to get her fired

those people are the worst, and sometimes the boss listens to them

Anthony_Kiedis
07-27-2014, 10:20 PM
Once you put that first drug or drink in your body, you don't have to worry about the girlfriend or the career or the family or the bills. All those mundane aspects of life disappear. Now you have one job, and that's to keep chucking the coal in the engine, because you don't want this train to stop. If it stops, then you're going to have to feel all that other shit.

ilikeplanets
07-28-2014, 07:50 AM
Right on brother

reprise85
07-28-2014, 08:09 AM
it would have been funnier to have a regular board moniker and just post kiedis quotes

Order 66
07-30-2014, 06:40 PM
i woke up this morning and decided i'm going to quit my job. its the most liberating feeling i've had in years

now for the hard part.. how am i going to go about this

slunken
07-30-2014, 08:21 PM
like a band-aid

RIGHT OFF THE SKIN

Order 66
07-30-2014, 08:50 PM
this is like breaking bad where they blow up gus and they're all like aww yissss. but then they're like oh fuck what do we do now

Order 66
07-30-2014, 08:54 PM
edit: well i shouldn't implicate myself.. so del

ilikeplanets
07-31-2014, 07:56 AM
aw but I was interested :(

Trotskilicious
08-01-2014, 01:12 AM
wholesome people don't belong on late shifts

D.
08-01-2014, 10:49 PM
Not so much bitching as I just applied for a job with a huge corporation here in KC.

Right now I work contract security, which means a company places people at posts and you get paid well but not as much as you would if you worked for a company with in-house security; I've been at a bank for two years with the company I'm with now.

I had an interview with this corporation two years ago after I got laid off at my awesome job of seven years. I got the dates wrong and I was late to the interview. Needless to say, I didn't get the job.

Now, someone from that old, 7-year old job nabbed a spot at the corporation and I've begrudgingly "friended" him on Facebook because he might be my "in". He's a douchebag racist but hopefully I wouldn't have to work directly with him because this corporation has many campuses.

I'm just nervous because it's a really really good company to work for but 1) I have no idea if this guy would actually go to bat for me and 2) My forgetfulness/lateness two years ago might come back to haunt me 3) I kinda wish I didn't have to do armed security but it pays more than unarmed 3) what if they only have 3-11/evening shift? i refuse to do evenings now that I have a kid.

Just rambling, sorry.

duovamp
08-01-2014, 11:12 PM
Good luck!

D.
08-01-2014, 11:22 PM
Wait, i can bitch a little bit.

Bank customers are generally terrible people. I'm not sure if it's because I work at a bank in a poor neighborhood and most of the customers are either super old, mentally challenged, and/or are volatile.

But JFC it's tiring sometimes. They have such contempt and rudeness seeping into everything they do that it's exhausting just to observe it. There is a popcorn machine in the lobby and people will get straight up angry if none is popped when they come in - even if it's super busy and the lobby is packed like on the 1st and 3rd. Then, when it gets popped for them, they either haven't stuck around to get it or then they ask for bottled water (we don't have bottled water). Then they'll ask to use the bathroom. If you give a mouse a cookie...

I've tried to understand that maybe they don't eat all day or something and they might not have been taught basic decorum in public, but

loud, rude, aggressive, hitting on the tellers, i've had to raise my voice at several dudes who want to talk down/belittle the women tellers. funny, it's never the guys they get loud with; always the women. i don't put up with that shit, though.

Trotskilicious
08-02-2014, 03:58 AM
me of all people had to try and talk another person out of suicide today

D.
08-04-2014, 02:36 PM
Good luck!

Phone interview on Thurs :rockon:

This'll be the first time I've ever done one of these. Noivous as shit.

ilikeplanets
08-04-2014, 02:46 PM
You'll nail it

Elphenor
08-06-2014, 11:46 PM
If you're sick and you try to call in sick but nobody ever answers the phone even after at least 4 attempts is it fair for your employer to say you no called no showed and then proceed to try and fire you for it?

I mean, technically in California it's totally legal for an employer to fire you for pretty much anything that isn't discrimination of some sort, but I happen to be union.

null123
08-07-2014, 12:06 AM
did you leave a message or an email

Elphenor
08-07-2014, 12:15 AM
The phone doesn't take messages. They don't give employees the managers numbers. I just call the department of the store I work in.

Someone answered like the 4th time I called. And I was like: Hey, it's (my name) I'm trying to call out, I'm ill" and they were like "Hold on a moment" and then I sat on hold for like 35 minutes.

By then it was already an hour and a half past when my shift started and I figured I told someone so I quit trying.

But now they're saying that because I didn't specifically get a manager to answer it still counts as a no call.

Elphenor
08-07-2014, 12:18 AM
So the supervisors are saying that I'm pretty much fired and they sent me home when I tried to work today.
But I think once I talk to the store manager they'll retract it if for no other reason then dealing with a dispute from the union.

reprise85
08-07-2014, 12:23 AM
that's shitty. sorry.

Trotskilicious
08-07-2014, 05:52 AM
no ma'am like i told you ten minutes ago, opening computers and working on them <i>even over many years</I> does not cause cancer

Trotskilicious
08-07-2014, 05:53 AM
yes ma'am i'm assigned to your geographic area, so i have talked to you at least fifteen times in the last week.

Trotskilicious
08-07-2014, 05:53 AM
my name is brendan, ma'am, i like to think it's sort of memorable

Trotskilicious
08-07-2014, 05:54 AM
okay well i'm going to disconnect now

Elphenor
08-08-2014, 10:54 PM
I've filed a claim and my Union is representing me and demanding that I be paid for my lost hours. We speak to labor relations on Tuesday. I have printed records that indicate that I called and my rep says he deals with this case regularly.

Reason number 1000 unions are great

reprise85
08-09-2014, 08:54 AM
I got suspended for being short money again. I think I have an attention problem. Not ADD or anything, but dissociation related. I can count so I mean, there is no reason this should be happening. 4th time in like 4 months. I deal with a TON of money so it's not like I'm fucking up just ringing up groceries, but still.

School is over too for the summer, and my therapist is on vacation. So I went from 8 hours lecture a week + about 10-12 hours homework/study, working 25 hours, and two hours of therapy plus home work to no obligations. I'm downloading Fallout 2. Anyone else have game recommendations? A game I can play a lot this week and maybe next week (still no school) but can play very little afterwards without losing the flow (or just a game I can put down completely)?

yo soy el mejor
08-09-2014, 03:00 PM
i was encouraged to apply for a position at work and now i gotta write a 2 page essay outlining my vision for effectively connecting with the surrounding community.

too bad i really want the job.

juliana
08-09-2014, 03:38 PM
I got suspended for being short money again. I think I have an attention problem. Not ADD or anything, but dissociation related. I can count so I mean, there is no reason this should be happening. 4th time in like 4 months. I deal with a TON of money so it's not like I'm fucking up just ringing up groceries, but still.

School is over too for the summer, and my therapist is on vacation. So I went from 8 hours lecture a week + about 10-12 hours homework/study, working 25 hours, and two hours of therapy plus home work to no obligations. I'm downloading Fallout 2. Anyone else have game recommendations? A game I can play a lot this week and maybe next week (still no school) but can play very little afterwards without losing the flow (or just a game I can put down completely)?

Try counting your till prior to your shift. When I worked in retail I was once short 9 dollars and I couldn't understand why. Then like a couple days later someone was over 9 dollars. I then figured out something was up and the money wasn't counted right. It never happened again because I worked in a different part of the store where different people counted money.

Mooney
08-09-2014, 04:19 PM
i had to fucking deal with israli customers that flew in to witness a bunch of outgoing evaluation testing on a unit that we build for them that they use in their murder machines all last week. this project has always been a disaster and these customers have always been assholes. the unit wasn't built on time so i had to wing it - usually we run through all testing before their arrival so there are no surprises. a certain rotational resistance tolerance was out of spec by ~40 micro ohms. MICRO ohms. and the torque in one direction was slightly higher than in the other. heaven forbid this causes them to miss a palestinian school. fuck sakes. all eyes in the company were on me all week, and i ended up getting all this shit sorted out and taken care of and sent them packing. i have no idea if i will be viewed by management as the reason things didn't go smoothly, or commended for being able to handle the situation.

oh, and i don't even normally do this job. i was filling in for the normal guy because he was shipped off to singapore. i need a beer.

slunken
08-09-2014, 06:22 PM
i had to fucking deal with israli customers that flew in to witness a bunch of outgoing evaluation testing on a unit that we build for them that they use in their murder machines all last week. this project has always been a disaster and these customers have always been assholes. the unit wasn't built on time so i had to wing it - usually we run through all testing before their arrival so there are no surprises. a certain rotational resistance tolerance was out of spec by ~40 micro ohms. MICRO ohms. and the torque in one direction was slightly higher than in the other. heaven forbid this causes them to miss a palestinian school. fuck sakes. all eyes in the company were on me all week, and i ended up getting all this shit sorted out and taken care of and sent them packing. i have no idea if i will be viewed by management as the reason things didn't go smoothly, or commended for being able to handle the situation.

oh, and i don't even normally do this job. i was filling in for the normal guy because he was shipped off to singapore. i need a beer.

http://www.thehollywoodnews.com/wp-content/uploads/the-punisher.jpg

Elphenor
08-09-2014, 08:54 PM
You've got to let someone who is in charge know if you are going to be out. That is a universal rule in all jobs. You keep calling or have someone else call or go down there or whatever. Then when you go back, you go back with a doctor's note drenched in your own vomit to prove you weren't lying. Kids right out of high school, used to just not fucking showing up with no repercussions at all, have a hard time learning the ropes on this point.

I spent like an hour and a half on the phone. Was I supposed to spend all day on the phone? At some point it's not my fault. I've had a few jobs and not in any of these jobs would they try and suspend someone over this because it's just stupid.
If you want to be prepared for people not coming in, you gotta answer the phone.

My union contract says I'm allowed to call-in sick for just a day without a note. The fact that I even have to fight this is stupid.

Elphenor
08-09-2014, 08:55 PM
Also, if I had sent someone they would have said it was illegitimate.

juliana
08-09-2014, 10:16 PM
Unless you pulled other shit there prior, they should have given you a warning and if they really needed you they should have tried to contacted you to find out where you were. yes, sometimes you have to fight really stupid shit at work. Some managers are just bullshit.

Mooney
08-09-2014, 10:28 PM
they aren't firing you for not calling in sick, they are firing you for being incompetent when you do show up. they're just using this as the excuse to try and not hurt your feelings. if they wanted you in the building you would still have a job.

Mooney
08-09-2014, 10:33 PM
http://i.imgur.com/r33W6is.gif

reprise85
08-09-2014, 11:23 PM
Try counting your till prior to your shift. When I worked in retail I was once short 9 dollars and I couldn't understand why. Then like a couple days later someone was over 9 dollars. I then figured out something was up and the money wasn't counted right. It never happened again because I worked in a different part of the store where different people counted money.

when i came in that night either i counted it or the back office person did. you are supposed to count it yourself but sometimes it is too busy and the back office person does. either way, if it was counted wrong it would have all come out right in the end (since the office has to balance, if it was miscounted it would be over somewhere else) and it didn't. it was my fault, im afraid.