View Full Version : Allergies

null123
06-27-2014, 11:48 PM
Who here is allergic to stuff

I just got 83 pin pricks and 80 injections to find out I'm allergic to grass, weeds and tree. So basically the whole earth

Do you ever think about your allegies and wonder how God could let this happen?

Bread Regal
06-27-2014, 11:52 PM
allergic how?

null123
06-28-2014, 12:01 AM
Just normal allergies (itching, swelling, sneezing, congestion, blah blah) but they aren't seasonal, they're year-round. Maybe if I lived in place where it got below freezing for half the year they wouldn't be.

I'm also allergic to pretty much all shampoos and conditioners, body wash, soap etc because they overwhelmingly contain fragrance and I seem to be allergic to any and all perfume. I have to use this loser Free and Clear shampoo so my face doesn't swell up every time I take a shower

Bread Regal
06-28-2014, 12:04 AM
i avoid products with sodium laureth sulfate because it makes me itch like crazy. not good if you're using body wash.

my seasonal allergies get really bad and i'm glad they've finally subsided. i'm also allergic to cats.

null123
06-28-2014, 12:05 AM
How bad is your cat allergy? That would really ruin my day if I found out I was allergic to cats

null123
06-28-2014, 12:06 AM
And yeah SLS is pretty harsh

Bread Regal
06-28-2014, 12:09 AM
How bad is your cat allergy? That would really ruin my day if I found out I was allergic to cats
if the dander of a strange cat gets on my face, i get the itching/swelling/nose dripping/everything. this isn't all cats, and i hypothesize it's largely related to that particular cat's diet, because my cats don't make me react like that and we feed them the good shit.

Bread Regal
06-28-2014, 12:11 AM
my voice sounds like jimmy chamberlin's, so i'm not sure if my sinuses in this perpetual state of inflammation or if my soft palate is stupid.

null123
Oh okay that's good you can still have cats. What do you feed them like grain-free cat food or whatever?

Order 66
i used to work in a machine shop with fiber glass everywhere. after that i can brave pretty much any allergy

redbreegull
06-28-2014, 12:13 AM
if the dander of a strange cat gets on my face, i get the itching/swelling/nose dripping/everything. this isn't all cats, and i hypothesize it's largely related to that particular cat's diet, because my cats don't make me react like that and we feed them the good shit.

I experience this as well, it can be related to a cat's coat and sex. Male cats and darker cats tend to be worse for people with allergies. I don't think diet has anything to do with it, although it's mostly cat saliva that people react badly to, more so than dander or what have you

noyen
06-28-2014, 12:15 AM
I'm allergic to most all raw fruits and veggies aside from a handful. if they are cooked im fine. pollen. And I have a hard time with pork causing migraines and intestinal blockages. I still eat it.

oh and cats too. And mold. Who doesn't.

Bread Regal
Oh okay that's good you can still have cats. What do you feed them like grain-free cat food or whatever?
yeah grain free without fillers. we usually go with solid gold katz-n-flocken which is on the pricer side, but they eat less of it so it works out. but the rule of thumb we go with is 1) no grain 2) no "meat byproducts" and 3) first ingredient is the name of an animal.

The exploding boy
I never had allergies except a bit to dust until like 4 years ago. then after being in this apartment for two years it started occasionally, i'd get rall bad reactions and sometiems i had to exit the apartment for a while becaus i wouldnt stop sneezing and my lungs would wheeze. Its a semi basement so i thought mold but couldn't really find any of it. Then i realized was getting it bad whenever i went in either closet or dresser drawers. I figured it was dust still.

Nearly two years went by until i realised we had a moth infestation. And that's when it made sense. I'm allergic to moths, or rather, their wastes. Like really badly, when it gets me it'll last for two days at least. Anyway i cleaned the clothes and put them in sealed bags. But i still haven't gotten rid of moths. It's not as bad but i still see some around once in a while, despite using mothballs. But at least all the valuable clothes are safe and i pretty much never get a reaction anymore cause it's contained.

Bread Regal
06-28-2014, 12:18 AM
I experience this as well, it can be related to a cat's coat and sex. Male cats and darker cats tend to be worse for people with allergies. I don't think diet has anything to do with it, although it's mostly cat saliva that people react badly to, more so than dander or what have you
that's a good point. occasionally our male bombay will make me react a little, but his coat is probably the best a cat's coat can be. however most of the time when i shove my face in his belly (he lets me do this) i have no reaction.

null123
06-28-2014, 12:21 AM
yeah grain free without fillers. we usually go with solid gold katz-n-flocken which is on the pricer side, but they eat less of it so it works out. but the rule of thumb we go with is 1) no grain 2) no "meat byproducts" and 3) first ingredient is the name of an animal.

That's pretty cool. They should be nice and healthy

And yeah noyen I know everyone has them. I'm petty cause I never have health issues. But allergies freak me out, the whole mechanism of them, especially pollen ones because that's everywhere. I find it fascinating that this phenomenon exists at all.

redbreegull
06-28-2014, 12:24 AM
add it to your fear list in the fear thread

noyen
06-28-2014, 12:29 AM
That's pretty cool. They should be nice and healthy

And yeah noyen I know everyone has them. I'm petty cause I never have health issues. But allergies freak me out, the whole mechanism of them, especially pollen ones because that's everywhere. I find it fascinating that this phenomenon exists at all.

Oh I didn't mean to diminish the plight if it. More towards I think everyone is allergic to mold. I've got the tree/grass/pollen thing too. My food allergies (I think, through discussions with many doctors) that most if not all of my issues are because of how I was raised. What I did and didn't have. What I was exposed to or not exposed to. Like my body doesnt process b12. I have to take injections every two weeks for my whole life. Likely because when I was young I did not get fresh fruit, veggies or whatever. By the time you mature your body will just reject things because it never made a bridge to process those things. I never had milk either (well some.. But milk in Germany was different). Raised on powdered milk which repulsed me and still does so I don't drink milk and ain't big on cheese so I'm lactose intolerant too. I blame my parents.

scottytheoneand
06-28-2014, 12:36 AM

you probably have toxoplasma gondii. Crazy cat lady syndrom.

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/science-sushi/2012/07/04/toxoplasmas-dark-side-the-link-between-parasite-and-suicide/

While these results might seem frightening, they make sense when you think about how Toxoplasma is known to affect our personalities. In 2006, researchers linked Toxoplasma infection to neuroticism in both men and women. Neuroticism as defined by psychology is the an enduring tendency to experience negative emotional states, including depression, guilt and insecurity. The link between neuroticism and suicide is well established, thus if the parasite does make people more neurotic, its not surprising that it influences rates of self-violence.

null123
06-28-2014, 12:38 AM
What makes you say that?

null123
06-28-2014, 12:41 AM
Oh I didn't mean to diminish the plight if it. More towards I think everyone is allergic to mold. I've got the tree/grass/pollen thing too. My food allergies (I think, through discussions with many doctors) that most if not all of my issues are because of how I was raised. What I did and didn't have. What I was exposed to or not exposed to. Like my body doesnt process b12. I have to take injections every two weeks for my whole life. Likely because when I was young I did not get fresh fruit, veggies or whatever. By the time you mature your body will just reject things because it never made a bridge to process those things. I never had milk either (well some.. But milk in Germany was different). Raised on powdered milk which repulsed me and still does so I don't drink milk and ain't big on cheese so I'm lactose intolerant too. I blame my parents.

Ah I see. That is sad. I've heard the theory that allergies are from early childhood exposure, it makes sense. And I too remember hating powdered milk so bad as a kid. I didn't know you're from Germany

Future Boy
06-28-2014, 12:58 AM
i have none, i cannot be defeated.

Future Boy
06-28-2014, 01:03 AM
oddly though my sister messaged me saying she found out she was allergic to trees and that stuff too just a couple days ago

noyen
06-28-2014, 01:06 AM
It does seem to make the most sense. Had bad reactions initially to things early on enough to scare the crap out of my parents exposing me to those things again. All sorts of shit manifests itself later in life too. Once I hit 30 its been going downhill quick health wise. I was only raised in Germany partly. my sister was born there though. I was born in Kansas and moved every two years (army brat). That's how I have ended up in places like Washington DC and Japan and all that.

optimistically though some of my allergies are having less severe reactions. like sometimes I'll risk a bite of carrot or an apple and be sorta okay.

reprise85
06-28-2014, 06:56 PM

I settled on Orijin for my cat. It's like $27 for 3 lbs, which lasts like 6 weeks. All soft food I tried gave my kitty dire rear, including the good shit. So do treats like temptations that have grain. So now I get Whole Life freeze dried beef treats, which are 100% beef. Her poop is A-OK. Expensive but it's worth it.

reprise85
06-28-2014, 07:02 PM
I have allergies but they don't seem to be consistent. It did show up on my bloodwork that I have internal inflammation related to them but they aren't really bad enough for me to give a shit about. Like today I've had them, since last night actually. I think it's something in my apartment - it got better at work.

I also have eczema (on my hands and feet) that is related to something in my environment but I have no idea what. It's very mild and only in two small areas. One day maybe I'll go dye/fragrance free for everything.

mxzombie
06-28-2014, 07:40 PM
i have no allergies that i'm aware of either. my dog had a bunch, though: grass, pollen, mangos, et al. we had to give her benadryl twice a day.