View Full Version : System Of A Down's John Dolmayan Talks Playing With Corgan In 2009

WeilandFan
06-25-2014, 04:28 AM
Long story short: he didn't enjoy it and thinks original Pumpkins should reunite.

http://www.alternativenation.net/?p=49566

Cool As Ice Cream
06-25-2014, 04:40 AM
http://i60.tinypic.com/2usk7b8.jpg
Billy Corgan and John Dolmayan in 2009.

About 5 years ago you played with Billy Corgan for a time, and there was a lot of talk that you might join The Smashing Pumpkins. What was it like playing with Billy, and why don’t you think it worked out?

I don’t really know. I think it was Rick Rubin that called me, and said Billy needed a drummer. So I said, ‘Okay, well he had one of the best drummers over the last 30 years, why would he need a drummer?’ But I said, ‘Okay I’ll give it a shot, I’ll go in.’ I hadn’t even really been playing that much at the time, but I do respect Billy, and I respect The Smashing Pumpkins. So I said let me go give it a shot, maybe we can create something new that isn’t Smashing Pumpkins, and develop something out of that. When I went into the studio I was a little shocked, but there was almost like a cattle call of drummers. There were other drummers, you had multiple studios. It wasn’t exactly what I had envisioned, I don’t work that way. I have to have a one on one interaction with the songwriter, I have to hear where he’s going with the songs, so I can craft something that is tailor made for those songs, to the best of my ability. So it wasn’t the ideal situation, I don’t know if that was a misinterpretation from my end, or what it was. But it wasn’t exactly a positive experience for me, we played for a total of maybe a couple of minutes, and then that was it. He went with somebody else, I never heard the other kid play but I understand he’s a very good drummer.

[Billy] fired him just a week or two ago, actually.

Well, it is what it is. I think Billy should probably get Smashing Pumpkins back together with its original members, and put aside whatever problems he’s got with them. Because that was really when he was at his best, and they were a great band. That’s the advice I would give him if he called me today and asked me to play for him.

Yeah, Jimmy’s a great drummer.

Yeah, you can’t get better than that guy. I’m a good drummer, he’s a good drummer, we’re very different. But he’s the best drummer for Smashing Pumpkins.

DaveKShape
06-25-2014, 07:05 AM
Corgan should take notes from this dude as far as how to stay classy in interviews.

scottytheoneand
06-25-2014, 07:37 AM
is weilandfan the one who brings up John Dolmayan every few months or so?

or am I confusing him with whomever keeps bringing up Bucket Head?

themadcaplaughs
06-25-2014, 07:38 AM
Sounds about the same as Juan Alderete's experience auditioning for Zwan.

jimmy drevpile
06-25-2014, 02:02 PM
Interesting.

Lucky Day Spa
06-25-2014, 03:48 PM
now, weilandfan, that's a name no one would self-apply where i come from

Ram27
06-25-2014, 04:26 PM
Is that Jimmy's kit from the Zeitgeist tour missing the low rack tom?

toase
06-25-2014, 06:43 PM
What a relief, imagine being part of TGBK

Trotskilicious
06-25-2014, 06:54 PM
even pros agree, jimmy is a fucking bawse

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/XPhYP5ste68" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Order 66
06-25-2014, 07:48 PM
i agree.. those four should just put aside differences and reunite. how hard could it be

Ol' Couch Ass
06-25-2014, 09:43 PM
Pretty disrespectful by Billy to have him roll in like that. Dude is an established, pro musician and was right to assume that he was being invited to a jam session and not a fucking open tryout.

jimmy drevpile
06-26-2014, 01:38 PM
Is that Jimmy's kit from the Zeitgeist tour missing the low rack tom?

No

toase
06-26-2014, 01:53 PM
Pretty disrespectful by Billy to have him roll in like that. Dude is an established, pro musician and was right to assume that he was being invited to a jam session and not a fucking open tryout.

Billy can burn bridges that weren't even built

themadcaplaughs
06-26-2014, 01:56 PM
The more I think about it, the more it seems like this interview pretty much establishes what went wrong with the "Byrne Era." With Dolmayan you had a professional musician who seemed interested in "starting over" with Smashing Pumpkins, building from the ground up, and making something new and exciting. Instead, Billy chooses a 19 year old who can kinda play like Jimmy Chamberlin.

Order 66
06-26-2014, 02:43 PM
he likes em young dumb and full o cum

jimmy drevpile
06-26-2014, 02:55 PM
The more I think about it, the more it seems like this interview pretty much establishes what went wrong with the "Byrne Era." With Dolmayan you had a professional musician who seemed interested in "starting over" with Smashing Pumpkins, building from the ground up, and making something new and exciting. Instead, Billy chooses a 19 year old who can kinda play like Jimmy Chamberlin.

This. At least I think Billy is trying something like this now with Tommy Lee. Would rather have heard Dolmayan - but whatevs. It's [progress]

The Omega Concern
06-26-2014, 10:53 PM

But it wasn’t exactly a positive experience for me, we played for a total of maybe a couple of minutes, and then that was it.

wow. no wonder. I think Billy saw too big an aura and negged him out immediately.

T&T
06-27-2014, 12:19 AM
saw a man he couldn't control, a man who wanted to get in the boat and have a paddle of his own, a man who knows enough of the industry to demand a decent paycheck, a man who would tell him 'no'.

Trotskilicious
06-27-2014, 12:21 AM

like some kind of cattle call.

Trotskilicious
06-27-2014, 12:21 AM
please, everyone, come bask in how great i am and fantasize about the privilege of playing drums for me, glorious me

fuzzyroes
06-27-2014, 03:37 AM
Musta been kinda awkward for Dolmayan. Guys had more success and relevance than Corgans had in years and he shows up at some cattle call, jams for 2 minutes and gets dismissed.

toase
06-27-2014, 11:09 AM
he should write a song about it

Ol' Couch Ass
06-28-2014, 01:54 AM
WHY DO THEY ALWAYS SEND THE POOR!?!?

RenewRevive
07-04-2014, 11:33 AM
Probably it was Rubin's idea and so Billy did the minimum to go alone with it, a token effort. Pretty shit way for a grown man to behave tbh.

Poots
07-04-2014, 12:25 PM
You know, you can make drums on your computer sound just like a real drummer. 99.9% of people would never know, even other drummers. Most modern drums have samples laid in behind or on top of the original drums anyway (or replaced altogether), so what's the difference? It's tedious work, but Billy should just do it himself with the mouse. He would be much happier.

Rider
07-04-2014, 02:32 PM
You know, you can make drums on your computer sound just like a real drummer. 99.9% of people would never know, even other drummers. Most modern drums have samples laid in behind or on top of the original drums anyway (or replaced altogether), so what's the difference? It's tedious work, but Billy should just do it himself with the mouse. He would be much happier.

The problem with this is Billys not a drummer and doesn't think like a drummer. There are tons of stories about Jimmy pointing how Billy would just totally miss opportunities and Jimmy would add stuff and fix stuff for him.

That Jimmy version of Adore that everyone talks endlessly about was really just this, it was Jimmy playing Adore with Billy and point all the fuck ups and miss opportunities with the drums and timing.

slunken
07-04-2014, 02:37 PM
The problem with this is Billys not a drummer and doesn't think like a drummer.

I've always suspected this is part of why they got along so well too. Billy was just unable to nitpick it or direct it. Mutual respect.

T&T
07-04-2014, 02:50 PM
i'm sure billy couldn't help himself from neging all the musicians he plays with, jimmy was probably one of the few who he couldn't get under their skin. He probably schooled mike all the time, and mike took it instead of being a man. Drums under the tutelage of billy leads to the kind of drummer mike was in SP.

Rider
07-04-2014, 03:19 PM
I've always suspected this is part of why they got along so well too. Billy was just unable to nitpick it or direct it. Mutual respect.

They both tell stories where Billy would be struggling with something, tempo change, different time signature... And Jimmy would sit down and without even thinking about it solve the problem and leave Billy speechless.

Poots
07-04-2014, 03:28 PM
Yeah Billy himself might not be able to do this, but there are literally thousands of people who could program the drums perfectly. I'm sure any producer/engineer he has working with him could do it. Then if the situation arose like he talked about in the post that "the drums aren't working" then they could just dick around with a mouse and drag the beat all over the place until they were happy.

I think Billy, like many "old school" rockers, want the feel of real live drums, which by the time you compress them, eq them, lay in samples over them, add reverb, etc, they aren't real live drums anymore anyway, so why not just use a computer and move on with your life. It's kind of ironic that he's going for the feel of a live band take when he records one part at a time and layers them, not to mention the fact that there is technically no band to begin with.