View Full Version : SKETCHY

Trotskilicious
06-11-2014, 03:59 PM
DO MOTHERFUCKERS USE THIS WORD AROUND WHERE YOU LIVE TO REFER TO THE "GHETTO" OR ANYTHING THAT ISN'T GLEAMINGLY BRIGHT SUBURBAN DULLNESS

BECAUSE I'M GETTING TIRED OF THESE GODDAMN AUSTIN IMMIGRANTS FROM FUCKING CALIFORNIA AND OTHER BULLSHIT TELLING ME ABOUT HOW SUCH AND SUCH IS SKETCHY AND I'M LIKE YOU FUCKING DICKWEED THERE'S NOTHING SCARY ABOUT FRANKLIN'S FUCKING BARBECUE YOU GODDAMN PIECE OF SHIT TOURISTS HAVE ALREADY TAKEN OVER THAT ENTIRE NEIGHBORHOOD

AND STOP CALLING WHERE I GREW UP "SKETCHY" LIKE YOU GONNA GET SHOT I AM MIRACULOUSLY FREE OF BULLET HOLES EVEN THOUGH APPARENTLY ANYONE AND EVERYONE CAN GET SHOT IN A "SKETCHY" NEIGHBORHOOD

AR:AKLJGA:KFJA:FKLAFAF

redbreegull
06-11-2014, 04:06 PM
sketchy is a common slang term here. I don't think it has innate class implications though. Anything possibly "not legit" could be sketchy. A bad neighborhood could be sketchy but so could the weird looking school lunch. If someone is acting in a suspicious manner, they could be acting sketchy.

hnibos
06-11-2014, 04:08 PM
Yeah but there are legitimately sketchy parts around here.

Trotskilicious
06-11-2014, 04:43 PM
stop using that stupid fucking word

scottytheoneand
06-11-2014, 04:49 PM
I hear people use it all the time. And it's always used to refer to lower income or non white neighborhoods.

Once it became unacceptable to use blatent racist terms people began couching their language. In some ways it's worse.

Order 66
06-11-2014, 04:51 PM
they should've thought about that before they were poor

Order 66
06-11-2014, 04:52 PM
i hate how women keep calling me "creepy" wtf is that some lena dunham slang or something

scottytheoneand
06-11-2014, 04:53 PM
"creepy" is a slang term girls use in place of "rapist"

Trotskilicious
06-11-2014, 04:54 PM
And it's always used to refer to lower income or non white neighborhoods.

always always always

and also restarants/places of business

i go "hey taquerias arandas has great tacos in this lilly white town" and they are like "i dunno that place looks sketchy i'm gonna go to taco deli because it's safe and for whites."

Trotskilicious
06-11-2014, 04:56 PM
i hate how women keep calling me "creepy" wtf is that some lena dunham slang or something

creepy means that you're obviously interested in her but completely undesirable to her

scottytheoneand
06-11-2014, 04:58 PM
I sent my assistant (who is trying to move into the city) to a few neighborhoods to look at rentals. The kind of places that'll rent to him because he's fresh out of college and he owns a pit bull. All places I've lived in the past. He said all of them were "sketchy". When I asked him what he meant by sketchy he fumbled around a bit and said that he saw graffitti nearby and people sitting on front porches...

all code for non white residents.

After all have you ever heard a white person complain that other white people are sitting on their porches? When that happens my mother would call it a "nice neighborhood."

redbreegull
06-11-2014, 05:00 PM
Urban Dictionary – Sketchy (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Sketchy)

1) someone or something that just isnt right.
2) the feeling you get the morning after usuing a lot of drugs, most commonly associated with extacy.
3) something unsafe
4) someone or something that gives off a bad feeling

i dunno, his story sounds kind of sketchy

Iffy. Questionable.

Sara is kind of a sketchy person to hang out with because she gets drunk a lot and she tends to get other people in trouble.
The directions on this worksheet are sketchy. I do not think that they are giving the correct information on how to multiply fractions.

redbreegull
06-11-2014, 05:02 PM
that's more how I am used to hearing it.

The exploding boy
06-11-2014, 05:08 PM
My neighborhood is probably sketchy to some people because it's full of Portuguese. Shit, my building looks "sketchy". And everyone in it but me speaks portuguese, pretty much.

scottytheoneand
06-11-2014, 05:09 PM
no one care

redbreegull
06-11-2014, 05:13 PM
my neighborhood was better when it was "sketchy", now there's this influx of obnoxious up in your business honkies and their obnoxious whitey children who keep playing ball near my fucking car and shit

also they all own like four fucking cars and there is nowhere to park anymore

The exploding boy
06-11-2014, 05:13 PM
I When I asked him what he meant by sketchy he fumbled around a bit and said that he saw graffitti nearby and people sitting on front porches...

Christ its impossible to find a place in montreal that doesn't have graffittis on it and yet it's like one of the least dangerous major city in north america. Graffittis dont mean shit.

I think people shouldn't be hanging out on porches though, white or not.

Trotskilicious
06-11-2014, 05:16 PM
suburban white people always think the inner city is "unsafe" because there's so many non whites around

redbreegull
06-11-2014, 05:21 PM
there's hardly anywhere in DC that actually isn't safe anymore. not saying I would go walking through anacostia at night, but that's more due to heuristics telling me not to walk through the inner city at night than the chance of actual danger

now baltimore.... different story

pavementtune
06-11-2014, 05:30 PM
I don't say sketchy in this context, but what is a better word?

Usually I say that I'm scared to drive or walk there, but that sounds kinda weird, too

SlingeroGuitaro
06-11-2014, 05:35 PM
wait. people call franklin's area sketchy? why, because it's a trailer?

The exploding boy
06-11-2014, 05:46 PM
IF YOU'RE SCARED OF CRIME YOU'RE A RACIST

Or something.

there is pretty much nowhere i wouldn't walk in montreal. I take walks at around 11pm and my route is mainly through dark alleys and backstreets. The biggest danger is surprising a skunk

I did live in two slightly "sketchier" neighborhoods here before though and the thing is...most of the people living in it were white. But I remember this kinda elderly neighbor once, he came to see us to ask us if we'd seen a man knock on the door of his daughter's apartment (which was right above ours). I said no, he said (translated from french) "well if you do see someone come and knock on her door, come and tell me, i have a gun, ill shoot them." Sooooo... basically...if i see someone, i DON'T go and tell you, right, noted.

Elvis The Fat Years
06-11-2014, 05:48 PM
ive heard people not use the y. 'that place is really sketch.'

duovamp
06-11-2014, 05:50 PM
Mad sketch for real. Like, legit.

Trotskilicious
06-11-2014, 06:44 PM
wait. people call franklin's area sketchy? why, because it's a trailer?

YES IT'S BECAUSE EAST AUSTIN IS SKETCHY

AND I'M LIKE

YOU MEAN THE PLACE WHERE ALL THE HIP WHITE KIDS LIVE SERIOUSLY I REMEMBER WHEN SOUTH CONGRESS WAS THE GO TO SPOT FOR PROSTITUTES AND HEROIN

Xteenmachine
06-11-2014, 06:46 PM
dodgy

Trotskilicious
06-11-2014, 06:46 PM
I don't say sketchy in this context, but what is a better word?

Usually I say that I'm scared to drive or walk there, but that sounds kinda weird, too

i dunno, i think maybe if you're talking about something not being safe then you should probably say that

i understand as a woman there's a different dimension to this that i can't understand, and that places where i know i am probably safe from violence are not places where you would feel safe from violence

but still, euphemisms...not the greatest, it makes me think you're trying to get at something you don't want to say out loud

namely that there's lots of non whites there

pavementtune
06-11-2014, 07:01 PM
Actually I meant areas with (more) frequent shootings.

Until recently I thought I'm usually not the scared-to-walk-there-by-myself because woman type.
But I am.
I just wasn't aware of all the things I do to "feel safe", it's like an internalized program of precautions, I don't think about it.

I take out my earplugs to hear if someone is walking behind me. When I leave a pub by myself I automatically grab my keys in my bag (as a punching weapon like you learn it in self-defense.)
Stuff like that, totally "normal" behavior for me. How sick is that.

Trotskilicious
06-11-2014, 07:02 PM
you are probably not getting shot on purpose

i mean unless you are involved with the people doing the shooting

then your risk of being shot on purpose skyrockets

Trotskilicious
06-11-2014, 07:04 PM
I take out my earplugs to hear if someone is walking behind me. When I leave a pub by myself I automatically grab my keys in my bag (as a punching weapon like you learn it in self-defense.)
Stuff like that, totally "normal" behavior for me. How sick is that.

and the only thing sick is the society

absolutely no shame in being a woman and being afraid to walk alone

bignothing
06-11-2014, 07:56 PM
I call places sketchy, but that doesn't stop me from going where I want to go. I'm never ever scared if I have someone else with me or if I'm driving. If I'm walking alone, then I get more attentive. I'm stupidly fearless though, or maybe just kinda welcome death. Like ya, shoot me do me that kindness.

The exploding boy
06-11-2014, 08:26 PM
I take out my earplugs to hear if someone is walking behind me. .

If i walk at night and there's a woman in front of me i make sure to cross the sidewalk or keep a good distance back. I didn't think about it when i first moved to montreal but eventually after seeing enough girls change sidewalk or look behind them i kinda got the idea (i'm a fast walker and there's pretty much no one i will not pass on the sidewalk eventually which probably didn't help, that tends to make people nervous).

I like to think i'm the most inoffensive looking person but someone who doesn't know me might think different (actually i suppose i do look fairly louche but i'd go down with one punch). Also, i don't need to get needlessly sprayed with mace because i freaked someone out.

vixnix
06-11-2014, 09:00 PM
I do the same thing - crossing roads - because I'm bigger than most males around here and I don't want smaller women being afraid that I'm some gangster or something.

I don't feel afraid because I'm not a typical sex crime target and I live in an area where other kinds of assault don't randomly happen on the street - its the burbs. Not that it never happens here. But even if it does, it tends to happen within teenage circles - not like a bunch of teenagers beating up a fat middle aged mum out for a stroll. I'm not really a target for anything, really.

I was in my younger years and felt the terror of that. I hated it. Starting to embrace being old and fat, I guess.

D.
06-11-2014, 09:10 PM
The people who live on the Kansas side of KC are constantly "sketchy"ing the Missouri side because the MO side has all the places to go/see/do which obv means attracting a more diverse crowd aka non-whites and gays.

All of them are terrible and suburban and they invade my city like cockroaches before fleeing back to their little boxes during the week.

Elphenor
06-11-2014, 09:13 PM
I used to think this board was pretty sketchy.

My computer was like: "Bro, idk about that place"

vixnix
06-11-2014, 09:18 PM
why...do you run windows or something

Trotskilicious
06-11-2014, 09:27 PM
The people who live on the Kansas side of KC are constantly "sketchy"ing the Missouri side because the MO side has all the places to go/see/do which obv means attracting a more diverse crowd aka non-whites and gays.

All of them are terrible and suburban and they invade my city like cockroaches before fleeing back to their little boxes during the week.

^

Trotskilicious
06-11-2014, 09:30 PM
I mean shot by accident.
When I first explored the city I was the typical idiotic foreigner.
UI SO BIG SO GREAT SO MANY STREETS LET'S GET ON ANY BUS AND JUST LOOK AROUND.

And then you walk along on a sunny afternoon, and freeze.
Gun shots.
I'm not used to the sound of it, I'm not used to drive-by shootings and it scares the living shit out of me. The thought that I might just wait at a stop sign sitting in my car, in the wrong street at the wrong moment.

see this is honestly kind of what i'm getting at how you're not "used to drive by shootings" well nobody is

but yeah gunshots are NBD to me

you're never going to find yourself in places you can get accidentally shot, that's the thing. you are just visiting these areas and, in this thread i'm specifically bitching about how gentrification has created these enclaves of trendy restaurants and such, but beyond there be dragons. don't worried those wild, untamed colored people aren't going to come and harass you at the trendy bbq restaurant that was on cable tv

Trotskilicious
06-11-2014, 09:31 PM
well other than the smackheads that want change

Order 66
06-11-2014, 09:36 PM
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/GMCMA/media/Other%20stuff/emot-words.gif.html

pavementtune
06-11-2014, 09:38 PM
I do the same thing - crossing roads - because I'm bigger than most males around here and I don't want smaller women being afraid that I'm some gangster or something.

I don't feel afraid because I'm not a typical sex crime target and I live in an area where other kinds of assault don't randomly happen on the street - its the burbs. Not that it never happens here. But even if it does, it tends to happen within teenage circles - not like a bunch of teenagers beating up a fat middle aged mum out for a stroll. I'm not really a target for anything, really.

I was in my younger years and felt the terror of that. I hated it. Starting to embrace being old and fat, I guess.

I do feel like it's more unlikely at +30, too.
But I got "educated" that there is no typical sex crime target.
I thought yea okay I get your point but... why randomly attack a woman my age when you could jump at plenty of 20 year olds. (That sounds horrible but you know what I mean)

And only a few days after that awareness-education I got called to a last minute job, someone dropped out "due to illness."
A 42 year old woman was "ill" after having been assaulted while walking her dog. A bunch of teenaged guys were throwing sticks at and on her dog, she told them to fuck off, they knocked her down and forced a branch inside her, amongst other pleasant things.

Anecdotal I know, but so much for typical targets.

vixnix
06-11-2014, 09:42 PM
I wish gentrified areas did stay dodgy. But they never do...my favourite sketchy area in my home town has now been completely overrun by professional DINK assholes who like to think they can be "alternative" and "indie" in their spare time, outside the law office. They kill everything good in life, these people. Show them any good thing, and they'll beshitten it by making it all glossy and unaffordable to anyone but them, but somehow totally devoid of actual goodness and life at the same time. Cf. ski fields and the alpine hamlets that now surround them. Gone forever as working class holiday destinations, for parents that want to teach their kids about hiking, fitness, and alpine survival. Now the realm of the middle class, who take chair lifts to the top and then slide down on overpriced bits of fibreglass . ugh. just bloody UGH. can you get family accommodation in any of these towns for less than $200/night now? No. Bastards. All of them. Bastards!!

pavementtune
06-11-2014, 09:54 PM
see this is honestly kind of what i'm getting at how you're not "used to drive by shootings" well nobody is

but yeah gunshots are NBD to me

you're never going to find yourself in places you can get accidentally shot, that's the thing. you are just visiting these areas and, in this thread i'm specifically bitching about how gentrification has created these enclaves of trendy restaurants and such, but beyond there be dragons. don't worried those wild, untamed colored people aren't going to come and harass you at the trendy bbq restaurant that was on cable tv

I think I don't really know places like you are referring to. As I don't hear skatchy very often, it's dubious.

As for nobody is used to db shootings... "used to" was worded poorly.
A co-worker is living in an area in South Side he calls Gang Central. It's totally normal for him to wake up to gun shots. I couldn't do it.

vixnix
06-11-2014, 09:55 PM
I do feel like it's more unlikely at +30, too.
But I got "educated" that there is no typical sex crime target.
I thought yea okay I get your point but... why randomly attack a woman my age when you could jump at plenty of 20 year olds. (That sounds horrible but you know what I mean

And only a few days after that awareness-education I got called to a last minute job, someone dropped out "due to illness."
A 42 year old woman was "ill" after having getting assaulted walking her dog. A bunch of teenaged guys were throwing sticks at and on her dog, she told them to fuck off, they knocked her down and forced a brach inside her, amongst other pleasant things.

Anecdotal I know, but so much for typical targets.

yeah this is pretty much my worst fear and why I run away from groups of teenage boys. They're feckin' feral, some of them. Truly diseased in the mind from years of detached parenting I think - they just have no compassion for other human beings.

But I found that out young, as a half poly female in a rich white friend circle - these brattish assholes were threatened by my size and constantly derided me at parties to tear down my self esteem, because my natural strength and athleticism threatened their sense of self, with their skinny pale legs and inability to grow a moustache. I was dying for their skinny pale legs and inability to grow a moustache. If only we could have swapped! But instead I was asked if I had balls, told I would make a good flanker, mocked for being big, being brown, having a mother who spoke English as a second language...just anything they could say to hurt me, they said. Nasty guys. It leaves quite an impression.

These are the same guys who said stuff like "she looks like she had her face set on fire...and put out with a spade" about other girls - leading to the nickname "spadeface". Other charming tidbits "she has the best ass and thighs, but her cheeks are a bit puffy", "her ankles are kinda thick"....etc.

These are the kind of "alphas" that post on the return of kings site. Horrible guys. And like I say...parented badly. You get guys who are smarter, better looking, from richer families, more athletically gifted...and who are great people, nice guys...warm, friendly, don't treat women like crap. It comes down to what they're taught at home and what kind of relationship they have with their mothers, sisters, aunts, friends, grandmothers IMO. Hard to treat women like crap if all you have ever known is respect and attachment...

vixnix
06-11-2014, 10:00 PM
vixnix: the original wall of text netphorian

vixnix
06-11-2014, 10:02 PM
I think I don't really know places like you are referring to. As I don't hear skatchy very often, it's dubious.

As for nobody is used to db shootings... "used to" was worded poorly.
A co-worker is living in an area in South Side he calls Gang Central. It's totally normal for him to wake up to gun shots. I couldn't do it.

I stayed south side when I was in Chicago - Fat Johnny's Last Resort Home Hostel - he gave us free maps and had highlighted in green all the streets that we should never go to. It was really helpful of him!! Never heard any gunshots...there must be areas that are ok.

The exploding boy
06-11-2014, 10:15 PM
vixnix: the original wall of text netphorian

Erm........sorry but i think i have that title. I was pulling that shit back in early 2000. So you know, get lost kiddo.

vixnix
06-11-2014, 10:22 PM
Yeah I am exactly the same - I could live in a less safe part of Sydney and save a lot of money for ski trips, but I'm too old and freaked out so here I am in the burbs.

vixnix
06-11-2014, 10:42 PM
Yeah, me too. I like to feel safe when I'm home alone...I grew up in a boring, but safe neighbourhood - a lot of unlocked doors...I guess some part of me instinctively seeks out similar areas as an adult.

The exploding boy
06-11-2014, 11:17 PM
I don't lock my apartment door when i leave for short periods of time (like under 30 mins), but that doesn't really count since the building itself has a locked door. The only people would could get in are presumably any of the 15 or so people in the building (or people they let in) and while i don't know any of them personally (and most are OMG foreign), i'm not really worried.

here's my building and adress for those who want to come rob (or rape) me:

https://maps.google.ca/maps?safe=off&psj=1&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.68911936,d.aWw,pv.xjs.s.en_US.tIcIVQPBf0E.O&biw=1024&bih=467&dpr=1&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=4015+coloniale+montreal&layer=c&z=17&iwloc=A&sll=45.517605,-73.577906&cbp=13,10.1,0,0,0&cbll=45.517593,-73.577909&sa=X&ei=_xaZU4SmBcKcyASswoH4Bg&ved=0CBwQxB0wAA

The basement apartment on the left. I really wish one day they'd take the pics while one of my cat is in the window. Some of this garbage might be mine. And yes its the worst looking building on the street and the only street nearly devoid of trees in the whole fucking neighborhood. That's probably why i can afford it. that's generally how you can tell if a neighborhood is sketch or not though. Does it have trees. Thats how you know mine is safe. That and the restaurants street right above. Also, the gay bathhouse just three buildings down. Gays wouldn't have a bathhouse in a totally sketch neighborhood.

Trotskilicious
06-11-2014, 11:35 PM
well this page sucks

The exploding boy
06-11-2014, 11:41 PM
Me and vixnix posted on it.

Elphenor
06-11-2014, 11:42 PM
I thought I was the only one who felt like I walked way faster than everyone else on sidewalks.
I'm always just whipping by people with my headphones on. It's awkward because they don't always hear me, so in their world view some huge dude in all black just appears in front of them.

Elphenor
06-11-2014, 11:44 PM
There are like 2 people Trots deems worthy of posting on his board.

The exploding boy
06-11-2014, 11:48 PM
I thought I was the only one who felt like I walked way faster than everyone else on sidewalks.
I'm always just whipping by people with my headphones on. It's awkward because they don't always hear me, so in their world view some huge dude in all black just appears in front of them.

thats why i walk in alleys and backstreets, so i avoid people so i don't have to be stuck behind them. I always wonder why theyre so unused. If you are walking to get somewhere and have no need to stop anywhere in between, it's the best way to get around as a pedestrian OR cyclist. Especially as a cyclist actually.

But seriously ive never met anyone on a sidewalk that walked faster than I do. Same speed maybe but if you pass me by, you're running or jogging.

The exploding boy
06-11-2014, 11:52 PM
There are like 2 people Trots deems worthy of posting on his board.

The irony for me is i find Trots is probably, if i had to give out such a "title", the "best" poster on here.

Elphenor
06-12-2014, 12:16 AM
Agreed.

Trots is Legit

The exploding boy
06-12-2014, 12:20 AM
But he kinda hates you.

Elphenor
06-12-2014, 12:25 AM
You think?

Bread Regal
06-12-2014, 12:34 AM
Yeah but there are legitimately sketchy parts around here.
Parramore and Central's a good example.

Where they're building the new MLS stadium coincidentally.

redbreegull
06-12-2014, 12:51 AM
I used to think this board was pretty sketchy.

My computer was like: "Bro, idk about that place"

early 2000s netphoria was more or less the paragon of sketchiness. It was just a step short of being as sketchy as 4chan

reprise85
06-12-2014, 08:45 AM
The basement apartment on the left. I really wish one day they'd take the pics while one of my cat is in the window.

I check google maps once in a while because the previous renter's cat was caught in the window and I want my cat to be on there. I always tell my cat I'm checking to see if she's famous.

Zucchini Duke
06-12-2014, 09:11 AM
I live in the South, for some reason rednecks here refer to "sketchy" parts of a city -- "Browntown"

The exploding boy
06-12-2014, 10:19 AM
early 2000s netphoria was more or less the paragon of sketchiness. It was just a step short of being as sketchy as 4chan

Its true. Goatse was a regular occurrance then among other thing. Also pics of people shitting in other people's mouths.

Lucky Day Spa
06-14-2014, 03:51 AM
Once it became unacceptable to use blatent racist terms people began couching their language. In some ways it's worse.
it's not worse, that's how language works. arbitrary sequences of noises are associated with particular meanings via mutual agreement. if enough people recognise that the meaning of a certain word is racist, it will eventually be considered defamatory, and status-conscious racists will move on to another arbitrary sequence of noises

reprise85
06-14-2014, 07:21 AM
kind of a variant of the euphamism treadmill (http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Euphemism#Euphemism_treadmill)

Lucky Day Spa
06-14-2014, 08:26 AM
huh. yes. how about that. TIL = rationalwiki exists

Eulogy
06-14-2014, 09:01 AM
Awful people who have never been outside Lincoln Park/Old Town think our neighborhood is... I dunno if they would say sketchy but it's like if there isn't some douchey sports bar every six feet and there are some Puerto Ricans around it's DANGEROUS. I've never felt unsafe in this neighborhood. Ever. And I mean it's so gentrified at this point so I don't even know what people are talking about.

There are definitely parts of the city I won't walk around in though. But that being said, someone got shot in the face in front of nicks fucking patio on Milwaukee in wicker park. You're not safe anywhere!! Just not something I think about much.

mxzombie
06-14-2014, 09:10 AM
^i agree, also wicker park sucks

Eulogy
06-14-2014, 09:33 AM
I mean yeah I guess it does but I am not above hanging out on the patio at big star for hours at a time. Also sultans is great and Trenchermen is really great. Sub-t can be fun I guess? And I've still never been to the violet hour, and that has to change.

Ugh now I'm just thinking of the coffee cocktail I had once at brunch at trenchermen omgggg.

mxzombie
06-14-2014, 01:28 PM
different strokes

The exploding boy
06-14-2014, 02:14 PM
for different cocks.

null123
06-14-2014, 06:07 PM
i remember when i moved back to portland in 8th grade all the cool rich girls referred to absolutely everything as "ghetto"
like oh your binder has a broken zipper, that's so ghetto

Trotskilicious
06-14-2014, 08:05 PM
kind of a variant of the euphamism treadmill (http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Euphemism#Euphemism_treadmill)

well doesn't this just make everything pointless

vixnix
06-14-2014, 08:19 PM
i remember when i moved back to portland in 8th grade all the cool rich girls referred to absolutely everything as "ghetto"
like oh your binder has a broken zipper, that's so ghetto

yeah as if it was a style statement, I remember that - I still say that actually...but I have to set it up a bit more as an adult, and pronounce the "t"s very precisely - you know, like

"Yeah, I agree...it's almost...sort of..."ghett-o", isn't it?"... polite middle class chortle

null123
06-14-2014, 08:25 PM
lol rationalwiki

n yeah this was about the time everyone was starting to wear urban outfitters and buy ugly thrift store clothes

Trotskilicious
06-14-2014, 08:30 PM
this conversation reminds me of when i was in elementary and middle school it was an insult to someone if you said "I saw you at goodwill." and everyone would laugh at the poor bastard that went to good will for clothes

when i got to high school and it was the science magnet so more middle class white kids from across town and they were all like "oh man where did you get that shirt" oh i got it at goodwill "sweet man, so cool"

Trotskilicious
06-14-2014, 08:32 PM
or the tiems when whitey would be like in your examples YOUR BACKPACK IS ALL STAINED AND SHITTY THATS SO GHETTO LOL GUYS

and then the black kids would glare at them

it was a weird school

Trotskilicious
06-14-2014, 08:33 PM
the neighborhood black and mexican kids would ride the yellow school bus to LBJ but the middle class white and asian kids from across town would take special charted city busses with air-conditioning.

noyen
06-14-2014, 08:39 PM
washington dc has some amazing sketchy ghettos. used to take field trips to cedar hill in anacostia and watch people get shot and fuck in the streets while buildings burned.

slunken
06-14-2014, 08:40 PM
lol rationalwiki

n yeah this was about the time everyone was starting to wear urban outfitters and buy ugly thrift store clothes

I miss the days of cashmere Dior v-neck sweaters for 75 cents.

noyen
06-14-2014, 08:41 PM
don't fuck with my trapper keeper.

slunken
06-14-2014, 08:42 PM
i had a trapper keeper with a lamborghini on it. i felt like a baller.

slunken
06-14-2014, 08:43 PM
still do.

noyen
i use mine as a bulletproof vest. it has a unicorn on it.

null123
yeah i don't even bother with thrift stores at this point
the real deals are actually on ebay if you know where to look

slunken
06-14-2014, 08:46 PM
i believe there is a direct correlation with UO's uprising and the fall of the thrift store. i don't have the science but its there.

null123
06-14-2014, 08:49 PM
it was all part of that same cultural shift that turned everyone into twee effeminate ukelele playing pieces of shit

slunken
06-14-2014, 08:51 PM
it was all part of that same cultural shift that turned everyone into twee effeminate ukelele playing pieces of shit

i don't doubt it

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/7fPnkG2Oo5U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mxzombie
06-14-2014, 08:51 PM
i dunno, there are at least 4 large thrift stores within a mile of my apartment, and i have purchased many of my clothes at thrift stores. doesn't seem to be a dying breed around here

Trotskilicious
06-14-2014, 08:52 PM
yeah i think there aren't any thrift stores in cincinattuh i guess

null123
06-14-2014, 08:54 PM
the point is that they are now more expensive and picked over

slunken
06-14-2014, 08:55 PM
don't get me wrong, there are thrift stores here. mostly goodwills and st. vincent depauls are all that's left. their stock isn't nearly as good as it once was. i'm not talking about getting ironic t-shirts, but rather finding vintage designer goods at basement prices.

i've seen more thrift stores close down in the past 5 years than are still open, though.

mxzombie
06-14-2014, 08:55 PM
i guess. i never found spectacular stuff at the thrift stores around here, not even overpriced spectacular stuff. maybe my expectations are low.

slunken
06-14-2014, 09:01 PM
my favorite things i've ever found at a thrift store were a christian dior red mohair cardigan and a pair of black suede tigerstripe dan post cowboy boots that i ended up wearing for 5 years.

slunken
06-14-2014, 10:08 PM
that's pretty sketchy i guess :shrug:

The exploding boy
06-14-2014, 10:41 PM
i've seen more thrift stores close down in the past 5 years than are still open, though.

Defintiely true here. I haven't bought clothes in so long. I used to buy pretty much everything at thrift stores but the good ones closed and now its only the twatty overpriced ones that advertise on the front window with words like vintage. These are the ones that survived mainly. Like yeah i'm gonna spend 60 bucks on anything from a THRIFT store. Get real. I guess technically these aren't Really thrift stores cause there's no thrift involved. More like expensive used clothes

I was ok for some years still because one of my gf's friend worked at Urban Outfitters warehouses and he would get us all kinds of free clothes mostly discarded from the Urban Renewal department. I pretty much dressed myself exclusively this way for like 4 years. I wouldn't buy shit there because its overpriced but if you're giving me clothes for free, I'm not gonna say no. But then he lost his job.

Since then I pretty much wait until my gf gets tired of my shirts or lack of pants and goes like jesus christ you need clothes and then offers to buy me something (pretty much now on bday or xmas I get clothes). I like to have clothes I don't have to pay for. Or pay very little for anyway. I doubt if I ever paid more than at most 40$ for any piece of clothing and even that was breaking the bank.

reprise85
06-15-2014, 12:57 AM
well doesn't this just make everything pointless

pretty much

Eulogy
06-15-2014, 09:58 AM

Maybe you need to get out of Portland for a second.

The exploding boy
06-15-2014, 10:47 AM
I forgot I wanted to say this was one of the best sentence read on this board since I started posting here again. The charmbag quote above.

Trotskilicious
06-15-2014, 02:13 PM
Maybe you need to get out of Portland for a second.

she's in los angeles

i think you just didn't notice the shift because you were doing something else

there is a lot of youth culture out there.

while you were eagerly pursuing your adult life, we were kind of dicking around and wearing tee shirts we got for fifty cents and then getting shit hammered at some dumb club because someone's dumb band was playing. i'm not saying i won, actually i pretty much lost

but this is the cultural shift she's talking about

Trotskilicious
06-15-2014, 02:16 PM
and then a dude like slunken shows up in a pork pie hat and some button up collared shirt from the fifties and everyone's like DAMN MAN and he's like "thanks, got it for a dollar"

Trotskilicious
06-15-2014, 02:17 PM
this way we can spend more on booze because we are all alcoholics because we cannot deal with our service sector lives and liberal arts degrees

Trotskilicious
06-15-2014, 02:25 PM
it was pretty sketchy behavior

slunken
06-15-2014, 05:45 PM
and then a dude like slunken shows up in a pork pie hat and some button up collared shirt from the fifties and everyone's like DAMN MAN and he's like "thanks, got it for a dollar"

definitely not the pork pie hat

Trotskilicious
06-15-2014, 06:08 PM
hahahaha

The exploding boy
06-15-2014, 06:50 PM
The Popeye Doyle look is very underrated. Though it only really works if you're past 40.

The exploding boy
06-15-2014, 06:56 PM
this way we can spend more on booze because we are all alcoholics because we cannot deal with our service sector lives and liberal arts degrees

I have neither a service sector job or liberal arts degree and I don't drink.

No wonder I'm angry. I don't even have the basic minimum to be considered an average failure. I'm even below that.

Trotskilicious
06-15-2014, 06:57 PM
yeah i mean part of it has to do with your attitude