View Full Version : How can anyone NOT like Pantera?

fuzzyroes
06-11-2014, 05:23 AM
One of the greatest bands of their time.

fuzzyroes
06-11-2014, 05:23 AM
I mean, how is it physically possible to watch this video/hear the song and not like this band?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_XI1DD_vJuY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sonic Johnny
06-11-2014, 05:36 AM
Fuck yeah

Sonic Johnny
06-11-2014, 05:41 AM
If Anselmo's delivery in the chorus of Great Southern Trendkill doesn't make you want to flip a car over heavy music isn't for you

Lucky Day Spa
06-11-2014, 06:54 AM
i enjoyed the guitarmonies and flaming drumsticks

Shallowed
06-11-2014, 07:35 AM
You're so right, anyone that claims to not like Pantera must be lying, there's no other explanation.

pavementtune
06-11-2014, 07:49 AM
I mean, how is it physically possible to watch this video/hear the song and not like this band?

by having grown out of it. there, question answered.
or wait. physically possible... no idea. must be teh atomz

Shallowed
06-11-2014, 08:04 AM
But do you metaphysically like Pantera?

pavementtune
06-11-2014, 08:39 AM
Power Metal (the album) was used to punish me as a kid, so I can't appreciate it even metametaphysically.

Trotskilicious
06-11-2014, 09:58 AM
skreedly skreedly dee dew dew weeerrooooww

The exploding boy
06-11-2014, 10:26 AM
8q

The exploding boy
06-11-2014, 10:28 AM
^^^

This is what happens when you try to clean your keyboard while a window is opened.

to answer the question, i'll tell you how. by allowing Pantera's music to make it to my ears. It is a stupid statement to make though. How can anyone have different music tastes than I do?

smashingjj
06-11-2014, 11:03 AM
it was quite hard but I listened to the whole thing. Cock rock vocals, tired pentatonic riffs, heaps and heaps of rock / metal clichés, horrible. It got kind of different somewhere in the middle of the song but I fail to understand what people liked about this. Please explain that to me.

Elphenor
06-11-2014, 12:05 PM
Fuck Metal is gayyyy

Elphenor
06-11-2014, 12:06 PM
How is this band different than, idk, EVERY METAL BAND EVER

Cool As Ice Cream
06-11-2014, 01:54 PM
"all black people look the same to me i cannot tell them apart lol nomsayin?"

The exploding boy
06-11-2014, 02:13 PM
Well there is definitely distinctions in styles to make in metal (a shitload in fact) but it does come down generally to some guy either growling, screaming or aggressively singing over really heavily distorted guitar riffs. No it's not all the exact same, but if you don't care for the basic concept behind metal, it doesn't mater how many variations on it there are, you won't care for any of it.

I think the metal i have enjoyed limits itself to 3 or 4 bands (most of which are not really metal by todays standard) and pretty much i've all enjoyed them in a bit of a tongue in cheek way. I can't take most of it seriously. Its hard to see how anyone could.

Also Phil Anselmo is a total dickhead. Yeah his head looks like a dick but I mean as a human being.

Trotskilicious
06-11-2014, 02:53 PM
it was quite hard but I listened to the whole thing. Cock rock vocals, tired pentatonic riffs, heaps and heaps of rock / metal clichés, horrible. It got kind of different somewhere in the middle of the song but I fail to understand what people liked about this. Please explain that to me.

perhaps pantera created a lot of the cliches and inspired the bands that made the pentatonic riffs that were rendered tiresome because of imitation of pantera/metallica (pentallica) or are you just not feeling it even with perspective of historical context you feel me

they were kind of like the anti-alternative metal band that was popular in the 90s when the radio got taken over by non metal baby faggot bands so i think that's why metalheads have a special place in their heart for them

i dunno

i'm from texas so i already know about pantera but i never had a great big boner for them or anything. dimebag was cool dude and down is pretty okay but you know whatever

skreedly dee skree skree skreawwwww weedledy wreraraoooowwww

Shallowed
06-11-2014, 03:02 PM
Fuck Metal

I have not yet heard of this subgenre

slunken
06-11-2014, 04:29 PM
Yea anselmo is a total dickhead, agree

The exploding boy
06-11-2014, 05:00 PM
I have not yet heard of this subgenre

Not to be confused with Shit Metal. Which is actually a subgenre that can be found in all genres and subgenres of metal if you look for it. The term has also sometimes been used as an alternate name for Nu metal.

smashingjj
06-11-2014, 05:48 PM
perhaps pantera created a lot of the cliches and inspired the bands that made the pentatonic riffs that were rendered tiresome because of imitation of pantera/metallica (pentallica) or are you just not feeling it even with perspective of historical context you feel me

they were kind of like the anti-alternative metal band that was popular in the 90s when the radio got taken over by non metal baby faggot bands so i think that's why metalheads have a special place in their heart for them

i dunno

i'm from texas so i already know about pantera but i never had a great big boner for them or anything. dimebag was cool dude and down is pretty okay but you know whatever

skreedly dee skree skree skreawwwww weedledy wreraraoooowwww
A lot of bands that I like are more or less an overload of clichés too, most of them are more or less nostalgia, I think I wouldn't start listening to Rage Against The Machine at this age unless I haven't already been listening to them since the age of 15.

Pantera would probably have been like that would I have known them at a younger age. At younger age music tends to impress more, especially if it's the first time you hear a metal band or whatever. Now I have all these preconceived notions about music that seem kind of impossible to get rid of since that's kind of how my taste is now. Pantera does a lot of things that I find completely uninteresting or tired because of this. I find it hard to understand what people like about it. If it's nostalgia of some kind it's easier to understand though.

Not that it's important and I don't give a shit whatever people like or not but this was my answer to the question 'how can you not like pantera'. HOW CAN YOU

smashingjj
06-11-2014, 06:08 PM
let's just say i think they're kind of...sketchy.

Elphenor
06-11-2014, 06:56 PM
Honestly all metal bands look and sound like Limp Bizkit to me.

I'm Hardcore
06-11-2014, 07:10 PM
the only thing about Pantera that really got to me were their FUCKING STUPID LYRICS

Trotskilicious
06-11-2014, 08:25 PM
Honestly all metal bands look and sound like Limp Bizkit to me.

you're a fucking moron shut up already

Elphenor
06-11-2014, 10:46 PM
What you don't like Limp?

Trotskilicious
06-11-2014, 11:40 PM
metal can be really good

Elphenor
06-11-2014, 11:43 PM
Yeah I'm sure it can be.

I actually can dig some Slayer idk.
And Sabbath was my favorite band when I was like 14. I still love Iommi's guitar playing.

Shallowed
06-12-2014, 03:16 AM
Sabbath doesn't sound like metal nearly as much as they do hard rock. They're closer to Led Zeppelin in sound than Metallica or Iron Maiden, but Black Sabbath is the one hailed as the "first heavy metal band" and is more frequently lumped in with metal than Led Zep. It's kind of like what Cocteau Twins and The Jesus and Mary Chain are to shoegaze.

fuzzyroes
06-12-2014, 05:02 AM

fuzzyroes
06-12-2014, 05:03 AM

The video version doesn't exactly do the track justice because they cut out the intro from it. The intro is this absolute sludgy, grimey, guitar heavy riff. It slays, listen to it here:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/NKiR4_QgWB8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The intro really does add a different depth to the song.

Also, the videos meant to feature the cliches, the videos meant to be kind of an ode to why they got into music in the first place and showing that they're still loving it more than ever and carrying on the torch in their own unique way. The part of the video when they show a shot of the little kid Rex and then fade into his "current self" is fucking priceless. But that was one cool thing about Pantera, you knew they were always 100 percent passionate.

fuzzyroes
06-12-2014, 05:10 AM
Fuck Metal is gayyyy

Metal is gay? What are you some little 15 year old nerd? I haven't heard people throw around "gay" as insult since I was in high school like 10 years ago.

fuzzyroes
06-12-2014, 05:15 AM

Lol you can't be serious? Weren't you that guy who always brings up these obscure old cult bands? Yet you're saying that all Metal sounds the same? That's just insanely absurd

fuzzyroes
06-12-2014, 05:35 AM
Yeah I'm sure it can be.

I actually can dig some Slayer idk.
And Sabbath was my favorite band when I was like 14. I still love Iommi's guitar playing.

You don't even like Iron Maiden or anything?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/lbT2lHtYtEQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/V4U07_4rvbM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

smashingjj
06-12-2014, 07:42 AM
ugh

Cool As Ice Cream
06-12-2014, 08:14 AM
Metal is gay? What are you some little 15 year old nerd? I haven't heard people throw around "gay" as insult since I was in high school like 10 years ago.

WERE ALL ADULTS HERE :banging:
MONEY IN THE BANK :D

Elphenor
06-12-2014, 09:21 AM
I saw Iron Maiden live with a metalhead friend.

So fucking boooringg. I felt like I should have brought a book.

Elphenor
06-12-2014, 09:28 AM

I feel like gay is a pretty apt way of describing metal though
But it's a closeted sexually frustrated kind of gay.

pavementtune
06-12-2014, 10:00 AM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/pmzEGuvttfE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The exploding boy
06-12-2014, 10:10 AM
I cannot explain my liking for 80's Megadeth but for my money they were in fact, better than metallica which I always found so fucking boring even in their supposed good years. It's too bad Dave Mustaine is a moron.

Keep in mind i'm saying all this as a very very casual metal listener.

Any modern metal I can't seem to even appreciate.

I said this in another thread before but even when I hear like half of what's on MCIS I think jesus what is this? Metal? I'm pretty much a fag now who can only stand a very limited amount of distortion in guitars. It's such a boring sound to me.

Trotskilicious
06-12-2014, 12:12 PM

good for you

Weren't you that guy who always brings up these obscure old cult bands?

:nooooo:

fuzz, just because you haven't heard of some of the legends of post-punk doesn't make them "obscure" or "cult"

your lack of knowledge in this area does not de-legitimatize the bands or make them cult

ultimately most of us see elph talking about these bands and we're just like "jesus dude do you have a checklist" because we know these bands and they all have significant stature and influence to this day.

Trotskilicious
06-12-2014, 12:13 PM
just throw this on and start stroking

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/GfbLWHT7vUU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Trotskilicious
06-12-2014, 12:16 PM
Any modern metal I can't seem to even appreciate.

unclear whether you'll let yourself appreciate anything that came out after 1997

Elphenor
06-12-2014, 07:47 PM
Lol you can't be serious? Weren't you that guy who always brings up these obscure old cult bands? Yet you're saying that all Metal sounds the same? That's just insanely absurd

I'm just the guy who really likes post-punk.

Try listening to a band like The Fall or Gang of Four.
Give it some time, and you'll start to agree with me.

Elphenor
06-12-2014, 07:48 PM
I have faith in you

FlamingGlobes
06-26-2016, 03:06 PM
We already have 10 of these threads at this point because you're too lazy to bump an older one

Are you talking to me?

Elphenor
06-26-2016, 03:19 PM
I was being a dick to fuzzy in this thread because he was spamming these threads

just to give some context should someone read what I've posted here

FlamingGlobes
06-26-2016, 03:30 PM
RE

FlamingGlobes
SPECT

FlamingGlobes
WOK

fuzzyroes
06-26-2016, 06:22 PM