05-27-2014, 10:47 PM
IM AT THE SCHOOL OF LIFE LEARNING LIVING

(obviously im failing)

reprise85
05-27-2014, 11:01 PM
studying psychology... duh :P

Shallowed
05-27-2014, 11:13 PM
I am a fully rounded being. A degree from the University of Life, a diploma from the school of hard knocks, and three gold stars from the kindergarten of getting the shit kicked out of me.

Bread Regal
05-27-2014, 11:30 PM
studying psychology... duh :P
D (my D, not our D) started out as a psych major and transitioned into social work like right before getting her AA. Knowing her and knowing you, I think you should look into that. You could still get a job doing the clinical stuff with an LCSW, but you'd certainly be making a financial tradeoff to go into that line of work.

Bread Regal
05-27-2014, 11:31 PM
Have you already done your tedious Gordon Rule crap?

null123
05-28-2014, 12:35 AM
i go to art center LoL

Elphenor
05-28-2014, 12:44 AM
About to start Poly-Sci classes.

reprise85
05-28-2014, 07:46 AM
Have you already done your tedious Gordon Rule crap?

shit, no. i still have to take 6 math credits, eng1102, and one more other writing course. though i'm probably going to take at least 3-4 more writing classes anyway.

plus most of the gen ed. i still have to do a history class, music/art appreciation, 2 semesters of a language, speech, wellness and i'm prob forgetting something.

reprise85
05-28-2014, 07:51 AM
D (my D, not our D) started out as a psych major and transitioned into social work like right before getting her AA. Knowing her and knowing you, I think you should look into that. You could still get a job doing the clinical stuff with an LCSW, but you'd certainly be making a financial tradeoff to go into that line of work.

I've been researching social work and getting a BS in psychology instead of a BA. Which is basically neuroscience.

Regardless, I think I want to get a minor in a hard science and have some specialization in psycho-pharmacology. I'm also not convinced I want to do clinical work. And if I do, I sort of want to work in corrections, though I'm not sure how much of that is PTSD talking. I'd like to help decent people who made mistakes and/or were in shitty situations and ended up in prison, but deserve some therapy. No one gives a shit about them.

I'm sure this will all change several times before I'm done. :)

bignothing
05-28-2014, 08:42 AM
I'd like to help decent people who made mistakes and/or were in shitty situations and ended up in prison, but deserve some therapy. No one gives a shit about them.

This is really nice. Hope it all goes as you plan!

I'm in grad school for international relations (more specific than that but the program isn't huge/I'm paranoid about googleable forums such as this one).

killtrocity
05-28-2014, 04:18 PM
I'm studying fugu preparation in Seoul

Bread Regal
05-28-2014, 04:20 PM
About to start Poly-Sci classes.

poli-sci?

Bread Regal
05-28-2014, 04:22 PM
I'm studying fugu preparation in Seoul
wait, really?

Bread Regal
05-28-2014, 04:31 PM
I've been researching social work and getting a BS in psychology instead of a BA. Which is basically neuroscience.

interesting. so is the BS a pre-req for going into psychiatry and the BA for psychology? the second-hand information i've heard is that it's very difficult to do anything with only a bachelors in those fields save for the high-demand, low-paying jobs you mentioned.

Bread Regal
05-28-2014, 04:57 PM
i should also mentioned that i'm starting my upper level undergrad classes in the fall*. my university no longer offers specific concentrations in math (computer science, economics, physics etc) but they still have those tracks available and will give you just a Math BS at the end. They are offering this Bio-Math track which is, essentially half math and half bio.

the degree requirements i've yet to satisfy are:

on the bio side:
Chem I/II
Bio I/II
Orgo-chem I/II
3 Upper level bio electives

on the math side
18 hours of senior or grad level math courses
Stat Theory I/II
and a really fucking cool clas that I can't wait to take, Mathematical Biology, which is basically the first class i have to take that ties both the fields together

all that adds up to at least 6 semesters of a full class load but i've decided i would really like to go into research and the extensive background in both bio and math would make me a valuable asset to a lot of research. so i'm really looking forward to it now that my mood has stabilized.

hnibos
05-28-2014, 05:11 PM
Are you going to UCF yet?

Bread Regal
05-28-2014, 05:23 PM
that will be starting this fall as soon as i wrap up this bullshit stat methods and comp II class.

Bread Regal
05-28-2014, 05:25 PM
i haven't taken a math class since 2012 but i'm not worried because i've basically been tutoring every 1000 and 2000 level math course for the past 2 years so i'm pretty sharp on everything still.

hnibos
05-28-2014, 05:27 PM
Don't forget to use the MALL!

Trotskilicious
05-28-2014, 05:34 PM
poli-sci?

nah bro he's gonna study a bunch of sciences at once

reprise85
05-28-2014, 09:51 PM
interesting. so is the BS a pre-req for going into psychiatry and the BA for psychology? the second-hand information i've heard is that it's very difficult to do anything with only a bachelors in those fields save for the high-demand, low-paying jobs you mentioned.

That should have said social work or a BS in psychology.

The BS in psychology degree can be pre-med (obv specialties would be psychiatry or neurology) or pre-pharmacy. Otherwise, even though the classes are different, you'd go to grad school for the same thing (if you wanted to get a PhD in psychology), so it's really just the same as a BA with more focus on the biological basis of behaviors, perceptions, mental illnesses, etc. It's basically just the same as a BA, but with some extra science classes. My counselor said it would give me an edge in opportunities if I wanted to do forensic psychology some day but that it's not strictly necessary.

The university I'm going to transfer to (FAU) has both tracks. Basically I'm going to see how I like my chem class that starts in a couple weeks and go from there. But most likely I'm just going to go for the BA requirements and tack on a minor when I get to FAU.

Trotskilicious
05-28-2014, 09:58 PM
without post graduate work, psychology is a BA

Trotskilicious
05-28-2014, 09:59 PM
i wonder what someone would tell me what edge i get from a history degree

an edge in being a fat loser who plays mmos probably. inside track that shit.

reprise85
05-28-2014, 10:05 PM
without post graduate work, psychology is a BA

you can get a BS in psychology at some universities. both of them (BS and BA) are fairly useless by themselves though.

Trotskilicious
05-28-2014, 10:11 PM
what i was getting at but thanks for correcting me

Bread Regal
05-28-2014, 10:39 PM
Don't forget to use the MALL!
I think the mall will be useless to me.

edit: ok i just looked. it will definitely be useless to me.

Trotskilicious
05-28-2014, 10:47 PM
and you'll still have to be there for three hours a week

Bread Regal
05-28-2014, 11:02 PM
not really. it's just a place for liberal arts and business majors to get help for their 6 required credit hours of math.

Bread Regal
05-28-2014, 11:02 PM
lots of GTAs work there though. i really don't want to do that shit.

reprise85
05-28-2014, 11:12 PM
my developmental psych class is pretty cool. about 1/3 of the class are psychology majors and a bunch more are education majors (pre school, special ed, etc). im not really being introduced to anything new but it's nice being around psych-nerds for 8 hours a week

hnibos
05-28-2014, 11:18 PM
lots of GTAs work there though. i really don't want to do that shit.

T has worked there the last few semesters. They might "promote" him to something less awful.

I know for some math classes its a requirement to go. Don't know if that pertains to you.

killtrocity
05-28-2014, 11:38 PM
wait, really?

Nah I'm in minnesota studying biochem. Fugu is cool as fuck though. Has some dense-ass DNA.

Trotskilicious
05-28-2014, 11:40 PM
not really. it's just a place for liberal arts and business majors to get help for their 6 required credit hours of math.

by the way how indicative is it that business majors can't do math

Trotskilicious
05-28-2014, 11:43 PM
i took the GRE, failed at it and just figured grad school is another thing i'd fail at that i can't pay for

Bread Regal
05-28-2014, 11:44 PM
T has worked there the last few semesters. They might "promote" him to something less awful.

I know for some math classes its a requirement to go. Don't know if that pertains to you.
I actually didn't know T worked there. I love working with that guy. He's smart as fuck.

Bread Regal
05-28-2014, 11:51 PM
i think we're talking about the same T. would be pretty weird if two guys went by that name in such a relatively small program.

reprise85
05-29-2014, 12:04 AM
i took the GRE, failed at it and just figured grad school is another thing i'd fail at that i can't pay for

did you fail just because of the math? easily fixable, then.

Trotskilicious
05-29-2014, 12:20 AM
i failed because i'm a hopeless failure doomed to constant fucking up

Order 66
05-29-2014, 12:32 AM
i got a D in entry level math. now i run an engineering department

Bread Regal
05-29-2014, 12:33 AM
i failed because i'm a hopeless failure doomed to constant fucking up
now that you're rolling in dough you should just lay down the money to take a GRE prep course. cant hurt.

Bread Regal
05-29-2014, 12:35 AM
i mean the gre is a really really stupid test, especially the math part.

in fact just get the practice book and we can skype and i'll show you how to do that shit.

Trotskilicious
05-29-2014, 10:06 AM
what dough i spend all of it on student loan interest, bills, and other shit

i dunno where you got this impression that i make a lot of paper, they're talking about making the minimum wage what i make remember

and why bother seriously. sure i could take a GRE prep course that i'd pay for. maybe i'd get into grad school and so what. i'd fuck that up too and owe even more money than i already do

mxzombie
05-29-2014, 02:29 PM
Well for example i took on a bunch of shitty debt to go to grad school (probably could have found funding if i'd known where to look) but i couldn't have gotten my job otherwise. Now even though i pay a third of my take home income to sallie mae i have enough and enjoy what i do. It's not just a bad idea all around, i guess you have to know where you want to take it.

yo soy el mejor
05-29-2014, 02:31 PM
i'm allergic to homework.

Trotskilicious
05-29-2014, 03:00 PM
Well for example i took on a bunch of shitty debt to go to grad school (probably could have found funding if i'd known where to look) but i couldn't have gotten my job otherwise. Now even though i pay a third of my take home income to sallie mae i have enough and enjoy what i do. It's not just a bad idea all around, i guess you have to know where you want to take it.

i'm just going to be a dick with a masters in history, no more or less employable than i am already

that is if i actually get a masters

hnibos
05-29-2014, 03:45 PM
i think we're talking about the same T. would be pretty weird if two guys went by that name in such a relatively small program.

Yeah he's the only T there. When have you worked with him?

Bread Regal
05-29-2014, 08:29 PM
Yeah he's the only T there. When have you worked with him?
we're talking about the thai dude right?

i work with him currently. it's not uncommon for someone to have a job at ucf and where i work.

hnibos
05-30-2014, 05:52 AM
we're talking about the thai dude right?

i work with him currently. it's not uncommon for someone to have a job at ucf and where i work.

Ok no nevermind. Not the same person.

Bread Regal
05-30-2014, 09:48 AM
i gotta let my T know that there is another person that has assumed his identity.

Bread Regal
08-04-2014, 08:11 PM
guys.

i'm a university student now.

Bread Regal
08-04-2014, 08:19 PM
they actually processed my transcript really quickly. they said it would take 3-7 business days and it literally only took 1 business day.

null123
08-04-2014, 08:24 PM
Very nice

mxzombie
08-04-2014, 08:59 PM
:cheers:

reprise85
08-04-2014, 10:44 PM
guys.

i'm a university student now.

yay, congrats

reprise85
08-04-2014, 10:45 PM
my school is technically a university but it's really a community college with like 3 bachelor's degree programs

broward "don't call it a community college" college

reprise85
08-04-2014, 10:50 PM
i have my chemistry final on thursday and im sorta sweating it. i somehow have an A on all the tests so far (97, 92, 94). not sure why i thought a 6 week chemistry course would be fine, it's been really hard. regular semester would have been much easier and probably a lot more fun.

i still have to get a high B on the final to get an A overall and I'm not sure I can pull it. but i will try. we started doing basic organic chemistry stuff and it's not hard but there's a lot of structures to memorize and shit. remembering something visually is harder for me than straight up memorizing with mnemonics which i'm very good at.

Bread Regal
08-04-2014, 11:01 PM
I'm not sure how the school thinks a 6 week chemistry class is alright. Even if it's you're only class, it seems there is stuff you have to omit in order to condense it like that.

Is it Chem 1 or 2?

reprise85
08-04-2014, 11:27 PM
it's chemistry for health sciences. 1032.

we did skip chapter 14 completely, other than that i think it's the full class... there are a lot of slides that are textbook specific and we didn't skip any sections, though some we spent 5 minutes on. he just expects you to do a lot of work on your own.

reprise85
08-04-2014, 11:31 PM
it feels like learning a language, and i can get through all of it and communicate but i haven't really gotten the flow of it all down even though i can appreciate that there is one and it is beautiful. i would have really enjoyed a full course. i can brute force remember everything but that's not really learning.

redbreegull
08-04-2014, 11:51 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/4-HkgPyV5ao" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bread Regal
08-04-2014, 11:54 PM
I don't have any advice to offer because I've still yet to take a real chem course. It does seem that there are ton of exceptions to every rule, though, so brute force is probably what's necessary. And while it might be satisfying learning about the hows and whys of such exceptions, it's extremely time consuming to do so. You'd have to study subatomic physics to gain an intuitive understanding of such things.

Like, I have a bunch of students that take their minimally required math classes, and sometimes they take trig. Now, you can just plug square root of 2 into a calculator and get 1.41421356237. That's easy enough but most students don't know (nor are they required to know) the various numerical methods used in approximating the value of a square root function. And I find that extremely interesting, because the concepts behind many of those methods are still rather enigmatic to me, and I can't wait to learn about them. But they're completely useless for most engineers except computer scientists.

I wish it was possible to just take sciences classes until I die.

Order 66
08-05-2014, 12:42 AM
i decided i'm going back to school because i hate working for mr. burns. ugh.. never thought it'd come to this

Trotskilicious
08-05-2014, 12:46 AM
i got a 5 on my writing for the GRE

killtrocity
08-05-2014, 12:59 AM
it's chemistry for health sciences. 1032.

we did skip chapter 14 completely, other than that i think it's the full class... there are a lot of slides that are textbook specific and we didn't skip any sections, though some we spent 5 minutes on. he just expects you to do a lot of work on your own.

What text are you using?

Bread Regal
08-05-2014, 01:02 AM
i got a 5 on my writing for the GRE
i dont know what this number means

killtrocity
08-05-2014, 01:06 AM
The writing section is a 1 to 5 scale (5 is best)

Bread Regal
08-05-2014, 01:06 AM
wtg trots

Trotskilicious
08-05-2014, 03:07 AM
on a 0-6 scale with .5 increments so i am just a shade below "actually smart"

killtrocity
08-05-2014, 02:48 PM
You can get a 6? WTF.

killtrocity
08-05-2014, 02:51 PM
and remember you're being compared to college graduates so it's not like you're in the top 17% of muricans in writing, you're significantly higher. Well maybe.

reprise85
08-05-2014, 07:21 PM
What text are you using?

Mastering Chemistry (http://www.amazon.com/Chemistry-Introduction-General-Organic-Biological/dp/0321693450/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1407284371&sr=1-2&keywords=mastering+chemistry+timberlake)

reprise85
08-05-2014, 07:25 PM
so much information for this final...

killtrocity
08-06-2014, 06:55 PM
hmm, not familiar with that one.

I don't have any advice to offer because I've still yet to take a real chem course. It does seem that there are ton of exceptions to every rule, though, so brute force is probably what's necessary. And while it might be satisfying learning about the hows and whys of such exceptions, it's extremely time consuming to do so. You'd have to study subatomic physics to gain an intuitive understanding of such things.

This, so hard. Don't worry about exceptions. For your purposes chlorine is always -1, acids always have H+, bases have OH-...

Since it's for health sciences, you might have more nomenclature than usual...

if you have any questions before tomorrow, just let me know

mxzombie
08-06-2014, 07:09 PM
i was about to say that i missed the GRE writing section somehow, but then i remembered that i actually did take it. i think i got a 4 or 4.5 but i'm not quite sure. don't recall what i got on the math section, but i got into grad school so who cares

reprise85
08-06-2014, 11:54 PM
hmm, not familiar with that one.

This, so hard. Don't worry about exceptions. For your purposes chlorine is always -1, acids always have H+, bases have OH-...

Since it's for health sciences, you might have more nomenclature than usual...

if you have any questions before tomorrow, just let me know

thanks. ill be ok i think. hopefully. there was too much info crammed into the last couple days and there is no way i can memorize it all. but its cumulative so hopefully some of the older stuff will be on there.

Trotskilicious
08-07-2014, 05:12 AM
and remember you're being compared to college graduates so it's not like you're in the top 17% of muricans in writing, you're significantly higher. Well maybe.

like i said, a shade below "actually smart"

reprise85
08-07-2014, 05:22 PM
i got a 92 on my final. somehow. glad the class is over. i picked the right stuff to study and must have done some good educated guessing on the rest. i think i got all the long answer/math ones right.

Order 66
08-07-2014, 05:49 PM
92? why so low [/asian dad

smashingjj
08-07-2014, 06:39 PM
I'm 28 years old. I live with my girlfriend in Stockholm, Sweden. I have a masters degree in 'Modern Psychology', but I'm currently studying the Swedish law part-time. On average I make approximately 51000 € each year. I play in two bands, one is a fusion of pop and jazz, and the other one is a straight out alt rock project. I've listened to the Pumpkins since I was 13, and never stopped listening. I am very open minded about things, but cannot understand all the cynicism on these threads. Are people here really that locked up in themselves? Are they that lonely, that miserable?

reprise85
08-15-2014, 12:23 AM
i got an honors college recruitment letter today.

basically i'd have to take 12 credits of regular general ed classes at honors level and 3 credits honors interdisciplinary study which could be on anything really, it depends on the instructor. so one "extra" class (but I have room on my schedule for it replacing a generic elective anyway) plus 3 that should be a bit harder than regular classes.

for that i get:
3 credit scholarship per semester. basically they give me $400 a semester
auto transfer to honors program at any 4 year public university in florida
access to phi beta kappa, brain bowl, etc which are all scholarship opportunities and networking opportunities
class size max of 20 which would be awesome
get to register for classes before everyone else
some certificate with my diploma that "is an articulated agreement with state colleges and universities and entitles you to consideration for transfer scholarships and increases in scholarship amounts"
distinction on my transcript *insert jerking off motion*

worth it?

Bread Regal
08-15-2014, 06:04 AM
the only benefit there is the scholarship.

the honors college at ucf seems to only exist to smell its own farts.

bignothing
08-15-2014, 06:11 AM
@reprise

I am a sucker for honors titles, so I would say yes. But that means you have to take 18 credits/semester, right? I took 18 credits/semester + one where I took 21 credits (15 my first semester because I was scared I might not be able to follow the US school system) and worked part time but my job was on campus. I also lived on campus which made everything quite smooth. If you're going to be working, then it might be really difficult to follow the honors requirements and be alert/good at work (which I think is important to you). But I guess you already know how much you need to study to do well, generally. I slept very little through college, but I'm not "naturally" smart/had to take my time learning. I would definitely do it, but I'm a school enthusiast.

reprise85
08-15-2014, 01:33 PM
the only benefit there is the scholarship.

the honors college at ucf seems to only exist to smell its own farts.

Yeah I'm not going to do it unless there are real reasons to. Scholarships would be a great reason if I can get more than the minimum three credits per semester. Really, just doing it as a challenge also has some appeal.

@reprise

I am a sucker for honors titles, so I would say yes. But that means you have to take 18 credits/semester, right? I took 18 credits/semester + one where I took 21 credits (15 my first semester because I was scared I might not be able to follow the US school system) and worked part time but my job was on campus. I also lived on campus which made everything quite smooth. If you're going to be working, then it might be really difficult to follow the honors requirements and be alert/good at work (which I think is important to you). But I guess you already know how much you need to study to do well, generally. I slept very little through college, but I'm not "naturally" smart/had to take my time learning. I would definitely do it, but I'm a school enthusiast.

Nope, you can go three quarter time, which is 9-10 credits (3 classes). Which is what I did during last semester and this summer and will do going forward (maybe go full time eventually). I am working 25 hours a week as well.

Eventually honors might look good in grad school as well. But I would probably have to move, the closest public school that I know of with a PhD in clinical psychology is U of Miami which is very competitive and an hour and a half away. Which is no big deal except for needing to go to therapy, but if it was the only way I would make it work. FAU has PhD in like developmental psych which is not what I want. Too bad. There's also Nova but it's a mediocre private university that mostly churns out PsyDs and not PhDs.

I mean I have like 4 years before I need to worry about this stuff. Maybe at that point I'll be in therapy every other week or something, and who knows if some universities will expand their programs.

Thanks for the input guys.

Bread Regal
08-15-2014, 01:49 PM
There are more meaningful ways than an honors certificate to beef up your grad school application. your coursework, electives, gpa and statement of purpose are much more important factors in being considered.

bignothing
08-15-2014, 03:01 PM
Really, just doing it as a challenge also has some appeal.

Nope, you can go three quarter time, which is 9-10 credits (3 classes)...

Eventually honors might look good in grad school as well.

Maybe I'm weird about this stuff but I see zero reasons for you not to do it. I mean, the challenge thing would be enough for me (yeah I like academic validation). You seem like someone who enjoys learning, might as well be in the class where other people are like-minded and professors are more likely to care? I know it's not necessarily going to be like that, but I can't see what you would have to lose. Small classes are perfect and give you more opportunity to interact with professors and other students.

Also, does that mean you don't even have to apply to a 4-year college? Cause that in itself is nice and saves you lots of time and money in application fees. Regarding grad school, my take is that what matters most is what your professors write in their recommendation letters. If you are involved in your department and have in any way impressed your professors (particularly the ones who have been published multiple times), it will matter. Also 400 dollars. Is there a reason why you think an honors program might be bad/not worth it? I think balancing work and school can be very difficult, but you don't have to be full time which helps a lot.

killtrocity
08-15-2014, 03:36 PM
There are more meaningful ways than an honors certificate to beef up your grad school application. your coursework, electives, gpa and statement of purpose are much more important factors in being considered.

I totally agree, but an honors program seems like the sort of thing that certain schools look for. Somewhere like Michigan or Northwestern.

and of course, the "who you know" letters

reprise85
08-15-2014, 05:15 PM
Maybe I'm weird about this stuff but I see zero reasons for you not to do it. I mean, the challenge thing would be enough for me (yeah I like academic validation). You seem like someone who enjoys learning, might as well be in the class where other people are like-minded and professors are more likely to care? I know it's not necessarily going to be like that, but I can't see what you would have to lose. Small classes are perfect and give you more opportunity to interact with professors and other students.

Also, does that mean you don't even have to apply to a 4-year college? Cause that in itself is nice and saves you lots of time and money in application fees. Regarding grad school, my take is that what matters most is what your professors write in their recommendation letters. If you are involved in your department and have in any way impressed your professors (particularly the ones who have been published multiple times), it will matter. Also 400 dollars. Is there a reason why you think an honors program might be bad/not worth it? I think balancing work and school can be very difficult, but you don't have to be full time which helps a lot.

I don't want to fuck up my GPA by taking harder courses than I need to basically is my concern. I want it to feel like a challenge and not like a lot of pressure, but I'm not sure it would feel like that or not.

I also don't like the idea of smart people getting together to talk about how smart they are. Wouldn't be down for that.

Going to talk to my adviser I suppose.

mushboom
08-17-2014, 03:23 AM
I start school tomorrow, I'm going to study game development. I've been working pretty shitty jobs for 4 years now so its gonna be sweet do to something I actually care about.

Trotskilicious
08-17-2014, 03:42 AM
hey noyen, they got a fresh one

reprise85
08-17-2014, 08:58 AM
Cool. Goodluck

Bread Regal
08-23-2014, 03:56 PM
am i the only one who feels embarrassed for weeks after blurting out a wrong answer in class?

Eulogy
08-23-2014, 04:08 PM
Depends on if you were volunteering an answer or if the prof just called on you. IMO.

Bread Regal
08-23-2014, 04:09 PM
the former.

Eulogy
08-23-2014, 05:45 PM
Eh, even then it's not a big deal. Unless you're the kind of person who constantly has his hand up. Shit happens. I never judged anyone for wrong answers unless they revealed idiocy or racism or whatever. And I certainly never judged anyone for being wrong on a fuckin math problem, which is what you're doing, right?

Eulogy
08-23-2014, 05:46 PM
So to answer your question yeah probably. No reason to be embarrassed for more than three minutes or so.

null123
08-23-2014, 06:29 PM
I've never been wrong in school before but if you were wrong you should definitely kill yourself to protect your family's honor.

reprise85
08-23-2014, 07:13 PM
am i the only one who feels embarrassed for weeks after blurting out a wrong answer in class?

if its in a math or science class, no. no one else remembers it after a couple minutes, even if it was a really terrible answer.

i mean, other people giving wrong answers doesnt make me think any differently about them unless, as previously mentioned, they reveal themselves as racists or whatever.

in psychology and social sciences classes there are a lot of know it all 18 year olds that just make me want to roll my eyes. lots of repeated stereotypes in those classes that i enjoy shattering when i can do so without being a bitch. like all men are like this or all women are like this or loaded statements like a person being "psycho"

reprise85
08-23-2014, 07:18 PM
so uh, i guess the answer is yes but i personally dont hold on to it for very long usually. but ive never had a professor attack one of my opinions or anything. that would probably make me pretty embarrassed for a while.

reprise85
08-23-2014, 07:23 PM
school starts on monday for me. going to talk to my adviser in a few weeks but im pretty sure im going to go into honors. after this semester i will only have 32 credits left to do. 4 will be spanish which i doubt i will do honors and 2 credits will come from labs. so out of my last 26 credits not counting those, at least 15 of them will be honors. i have some possibly tough classes in there, anatomy 1 and 2 and trigonometry sticking out the most. plus the honors interdisciplinary studies class that all honors students have to take. should be challenging.

this is just my AA of course. from there on i believe the honors track at FAU is completely separate from the regular psych track and basically everything i take will be 'honors'

Future Boy
08-23-2014, 08:38 PM

no, but I end up trying to say as little as possible out of fear, so at least ur still trying

reprise85
08-24-2014, 09:30 PM
school starts tomorrow. just in time. i still have those before school anxiety dreams where i've missed the first few classes and shit.

Trotskilicious
08-24-2014, 09:45 PM
Eh, even then it's not a big deal. Unless you're the kind of person who constantly has his hand up.

i'm this guy and i know how annoying it is and i hate it but I CAN'T STOP

killtrocity
08-24-2014, 11:30 PM
if its in a math or science class, no. no one else remembers it after a couple minutes, even if it was a really terrible answer.

i mean, other people giving wrong answers doesnt make me think any differently about them unless, as previously mentioned, they reveal themselves as racists or whatever.

in psychology and social sciences classes there are a lot of know it all 18 year olds that just make me want to roll my eyes. lots of repeated stereotypes in those classes that i enjoy shattering when i can do so without being a bitch. like all men are like this or all women are like this or loaded statements like a person being "psycho"

I still remember the face of this girl from my ethics course who stated very matter of factly that Obama is Muslim, and therefore anti-Muslim sentiments in America do not exist

Trotskilicious
08-25-2014, 02:36 AM
there was a time in my history of the american west where a woman started talking about chinamen

i interrupted her and said that chinamen was not the proper nomenclature, asian-americans please

and nobody laughed, and she continued to say chinamen

the guy next to me let me know that he didn't think i was using the word nomenclature right

then i put my head on the desk for the rest of class

reprise85
08-25-2014, 05:44 AM
that sounds like a movie scene

Trotskilicious
08-25-2014, 05:48 AM
in this instance we were talking about the guys who built the railroads

Poots
08-25-2014, 10:10 PM
there was a time in my history of the american west where a woman started talking about chinamen

i interrupted her and said that chinamen was not the proper nomenclature, asian-americans please

and nobody laughed, and she continued to say chinamen

the guy next to me let me know that he didn't think i was using the word nomenclature right

then i put my head on the desk for the rest of class

That reminds me of the time when I met a friend of a friend who was in a wheelchair. We were at this bar and instead of being all I'm-just-going-to-ignore-it-because-that's-what-you-do, I was like "I've seen a lot of spinals dude, and this guy's a fake. A fucking goldbricker". It did not go well.

reprise85
10-20-2014, 07:21 PM
http://i.imgur.com/tQsEDql.jpg

Right: 200 packaged flashcards
Left: 4 chapters of spanish vocab and grammar, sorted into categories like verbs, adjectives, people, numbers/time etc

The exploding boy
10-20-2014, 07:35 PM
fuck school. I'm too cool for it.

It's for people who care about the future man, but i'm into the now.

The Omega Concern
10-20-2014, 07:58 PM
so uh, i guess the answer is yes but i personally dont hold on to it for very long usually. but ive never had a professor attack one of my opinions or anything. that would probably make me pretty embarrassed for a while.

I had a Social Science prof who was constantly berating me. I gave as much as I got and then that one time...

(When he stopped class half-way through and told everyone to leave cuz he didn't want to argue with me anymore. that was epic.)

thing was, I respected the hell out of him. Unbelievably well read and his style was animated and passionate. On grad night we partied together; drank, smoked and talked to a bunch of girls all night. I felt like a beatnik without really knowing what that was.

Future Boy
10-21-2014, 10:24 PM
Left: 4 chapters of spanish vocab and grammar, sorted into categories like verbs, adjectives, people, numbers/time etc
poor bastard

null123
10-21-2014, 11:49 PM
I wish my academic advisor would email me back cause I'm gonna change either my major or my concentration and I'm chomping at the bit here

Trotskilicious
10-21-2014, 11:53 PM
no more illustration?

null123
10-22-2014, 12:11 AM
I'm currently in illustration for entertainment which is a vis dev/concept art track
But I am realizing I am playing against all my strengths and choosing a track that forces me to focus on the most boring aspects of art to me while all my peers will be gleefully rendering wrinkles in orc faces without complaint

I am looking to switch to the surface design track which is basically a graphics/textile design track, OR transfer to graphic design or even product design department. If I do either of the latter two I will be paying a lot of extra money though to practically start over, so I would rather just stick with my major and take extra type and/or product classes.

null123
10-22-2014, 12:23 AM
my peers in this department are like, 18th century atelier paintings, 70s photorealism, uncharted 2, anime

i'm like, Picasso, Byzantine mosaics, Christian Dior, Looney Toons

Trotskilicious
10-22-2014, 01:03 AM
for a minute i thought you said orc feces

yo soy el mejor
10-23-2014, 10:52 PM
I'm 28 years old. I live with my girlfriend in Stockholm, Sweden. I have a masters degree in 'Modern Psychology', but I'm currently studying the Swedish law part-time. On average I make approximately 51000 each year. I play in two bands, one is a fusion of pop and jazz, and the other one is a straight out alt rock project. I've listened to the Pumpkins since I was 13, and never stopped listening. I am very open minded about things, but cannot understand all the cynicism on these threads. Are people here really that locked up in themselves? Are they that lonely, that miserable?
fuck off. you're not 28.

yo soy el mejor
10-23-2014, 10:55 PM
yo, rach. go work for nike when you're done. design my sneaks and get all kinds of badass perks.

Elijah Moon
10-24-2014, 07:19 AM
I'd like to go back and finish my degree when circumstances permit.

null123
10-24-2014, 07:21 AM
yo, rach. go work for nike when you're done. design my sneaks and get all kinds of badass perks.

Ok sounds good to me

Bread Regal
10-30-2014, 11:51 PM
there's a hold on my registration for next semester because i haven't completed this rape awareness thing. it's literally like 6 hours of videos i have to watch about how not to rape someone and it's just really....emotionally draining.

there was one part where they were discussing the the difference between the ways society treat men and women with many sexual partners. it included like a 30 second supercut of people saying "slut" and "whore" over and over again and it just...i don't know. i just want to register for classes, man.

null123
10-30-2014, 11:52 PM
That's bizarre

reprise85
10-30-2014, 11:52 PM
wow that's insane

i mean A for effort and everything but that doesn't seem very well thought out

null123
10-30-2014, 11:56 PM
I'm still about 95% sure rape is not an issue of lack of education

Bread Regal
10-30-2014, 11:57 PM
ucf has been inching its way up the lists of top party schools, so i get it.

there's this little thing that allows you to skip parts that are preceded by trigger warnings and i have to legit use it because it's making my skin crawl.

Bread Regal
10-30-2014, 11:58 PM
I'm still about 95% sure rape is not an issue of lack of education
it's probably an insurance thing.

The exploding boy
10-31-2014, 02:09 AM
If we told rapists not to rape enough and how bad it makes women feel when they're raped there wouldn't be any more rapists. They just don't know it's not cool.

It should be like one of those badly acted 80s instructional videos.

"Jimmy.... what are you doing?"
"Hey John, i'm raping this chick, cool uh?"
John puts his hands on his hips and shakes his head disapprovingly
"Now jimmy, why would you do that?"
"what do you mean John? All the guys are doing it and it feels super good!"
"Super good for you jimmy.... now Jimmy, stop thrusting into this poor girl for a second and let me tell you a thing or two about rape...."
:goes into long expose::

"geez John, i didnt know, i guess i should really get off this girl and let her go right?"
"Yes Jimmy, you really should"
"Sorry Amy, i feel like such a doofus. it's just... I didn't know..." ::looks sad and shameful::
"Hey, dont worry about it, it's ok, i wont press charges, like you said, you just didn't know!...but now you do, and its half the battle!"
"i'm proud of you jimmy"
::all three turn to the camera an speak:
"remember guys, rape in school's not cool, just cruel!"

Trotskilicious
10-31-2014, 03:14 AM
#rapergate

Bread Regal
10-31-2014, 03:48 AM
If we told rapists not to rape enough and how bad it makes women feel when they're raped there wouldn't be any more rapists. They just don't know it's not cool.

It should be like one of those badly acted 80s instructional videos.

"Jimmy.... what are you doing?"
"Hey John, i'm raping this chick, cool uh?"
John puts his hands on his hips and shakes his head disapprovingly
"Now jimmy, why would you do that?"
"what do you mean John? All the guys are doing it and it feels super good!"
"Super good for you jimmy.... now Jimmy, stop thrusting into this poor girl for a second and let me tell you a thing or two about rape...."
:goes into long expose::

"geez John, i didnt know, i guess i should really get off this girl and let her go right?"
"Yes Jimmy, you really should"
"Sorry Amy, i feel like such a doofus. it's just... I didn't know..." ::looks sad and shameful::
"Hey, dont worry about it, it's ok, i wont press charges, like you said, you just didn't know!...but now you do, and its half the battle!"
"i'm proud of you jimmy"
::all three turn to the camera an speak:
"remember guys, rape in school's not cool, just cruel!"
wow shut up

The exploding boy
10-31-2014, 08:46 AM
I considered your request long and hard and came to the conclusion that..... no.

Future Boy
11-02-2014, 09:17 AM
think about it some more