View Full Version : synth pop

pavementtune
05-24-2014, 01:13 PM

pavementtune
05-24-2014, 01:15 PM
synth pop, anyone?
couldn't find any threads, but I can't believe nobody here is listening to it.

is it totally uncool to enjoy it or something?

I'm digging this. Very relaxing.

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0161/8690/products/P3264382_grande.JPG?v=1395939072

Catherine Wheel
05-24-2014, 01:32 PM
I like synth pop from time to time but Future Islands suck at it. Check out Chvrches or Purity Ring for some good modern synth pop.

Order 66
05-24-2014, 01:32 PM
yeah its cool

pavementtune
05-24-2014, 01:34 PM
I like synth pop from time to time but Future Islands suck at it. Check out Chvrches or Purity Ring for some good modern synth pop.

I can't stand either. Especially Chvrches.

Catherine Wheel
05-24-2014, 01:36 PM
Purity Ring are kind of an acquired taste but Chvrches are very accessible and catchy. I'm kind of surprised you don't like them.

Order 66
05-24-2014, 01:36 PM
you like Trust? they're cool

The exploding boy
05-24-2014, 02:00 PM
yeah i was gonna come in and say someone will hate me for this but i love Chvrches. I think it's perfect synthpop, it was my fav record of last year and i don't care who knows it. Super catchy, tasteful pop. Nice voice and great vocal melodies. Earnest but not dumb lyrics. And yes of course i have a crush on ****** Mayberry, i'm that predictable. I don't like Future Islands though. Especially after i saw them on Letterman. What the fuck was that.... the dancing, the Tom Waits growl.... i don't get it. the music is passable but it's the singer that kinda ruins it for me.

You can't beat the masters though. And by that i mean Depeche Mode.

Also if we go back some years, Ladytron. Witching hour was a terrific record.

Catherine Wheel
05-24-2014, 02:04 PM
Yeah with a different singer I think Future Islands would be alright. Maybe. But he's godawful.

Light and Magic is my favorite Ladytron album. And Black Plastic is probably my fave Ladytron song.

pavementtune
05-24-2014, 02:40 PM
you like Trust? they're cool

Guess you are not referring to the French hard rock band, had to look them up, Canadian?
I'll try the Joyland album and will rage at you if it sucks.

bignothing
05-24-2014, 03:48 PM
God Chvrches is so annoying... I kinda wanted to like them cause I'm in this Scottish music kick, but their music is awful to me. I rarely enjoy synth or power pop though and I tend to be more critical of female vocalists. This girl's voice is just not interesting to me - also the band comes off as "cutesy," which makes me roll my eyes. Never paid attention to the lyrics, is it any better?

The exploding boy
05-24-2014, 08:34 PM
I will say Chvrches are not a band i'd bother seeing live. ****** Mayberry does not seem at ease on stage. Maybe it'll get better with time since she's kinda really new at this. As for whoever asked if the lyrics were cutesy, no not in my mind. this record made me cry more than once :-/ Just because the girl IS cute (and also very clever, I may have watched too many interviews, also that thing she wrote for what was it, the independent I think? about all the sexual threats she received...) doesn't mean the record is cutesy.

And honestly it's one of those cases where I really liked the singles at first and once i got into the record I realized the singles were the least interesting songs. This record was almost enough to get me to stop bothering with guitars and basses and go full electronic but then I remembered good synths cost thousands of dollars.

I like her voice because she has a soft nice clean voice and can ACTUALLY sing but without having any annoying mannerisms. That doesn't happen a lot anymore.

But yeah Haim and St Vincent are in fact terrible ((it made me think less of David Byrne that he worked with the latter...) . If I have to see Haim's bassist pull just one more bass face on my tv I might lose my shit.

Elphenor
05-24-2014, 10:19 PM
I like Soft Cell

I'm Hardcore
05-25-2014, 09:37 AM
the first small black record

Catherine Wheel
05-25-2014, 10:25 AM
I've recommended White Lies here before and will continue to do so. Great band.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/0hZ5b6PxqJM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/6ob6Eps2Jvw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

pavementtune
05-25-2014, 12:29 PM
Thank you netphoria, my ears love you, this thread made my travelling playlist.

Trust
their first album TRST is my thing, very nice. Joyland isn't for me, too much poppitypoppop.

Soft Cell
well yea, but from time to time I want to stop living in the past.

the first small black record
direct hit, gonna pick up their debut EP. Not sure about the New Chain album, though, sounds very cleaned up.

I've recommended White Lies here before and will continue to do so. Great band.

saw them live in 08?, enjoyed their first album. When were they thrown into the synth pop genre?!

Catherine Wheel
05-25-2014, 12:52 PM
The last two albums for the most part. Ritual and Big TV.

Ritual still has some semblance of post punk but it's balanced out with synth pop. Big TV is synth pop with occasional loud guitars.

I saw them a couple of months ago here. Great live act.

The exploding boy
05-25-2014, 01:33 PM
well yea, but from time to time I want to stop living in the past.

Most days I don't see why I should. Everything being done today music wise has been done better in the past. I mean sure I listen to some current bands but most of the times its just cause i've listened to the originals so much that I figure I can bear to listen to some of the copies for a bit. Its a real problem but after 60 years of rock what you could do with a bass guitar drums and synths and computers has all been exhausted.

smashingjj
05-25-2014, 04:11 PM
St. Pop

Elphenor
05-25-2014, 07:07 PM
Has everything truly already been done or has every decade said that?
Like in the 90's was everyone like "man, everything has already been done this generation sucks" before Nirvana became huge? And did people realize we'd still be talking about him 20 years later?

I think you could argue everything had already been done right after The Beatles, Floyd, and VU

Elphenor
05-25-2014, 07:09 PM
Music seems to get a higher focus on originality than other forms of art. Like of you write a fantasy novel and it has Wizards and Dragons no one cares that it's unoriginal.

I'm Hardcore
05-25-2014, 07:43 PM
New Chain was the album i was trying to get you to listen to!

pavementtune
05-25-2014, 08:00 PM
Ha, I went for the debut EP. totally messy sound, enjoyed it. Next up was New Chain and it sounded polished in comparison. Heard the first 2 tracks, and fell asleep.
Since an almost empty ipod is all I currently have, I'll listen to it on repeat anyway.

I'm Hardcore
05-25-2014, 08:09 PM
horse to water, etc

The exploding boy
05-25-2014, 08:23 PM
I really would like to hear music right now that hasn't ever been done before. I haven't heard it. And if its out there, then it probably sucks because there's only so many different ways you can arrange notes and sounds before it becomes unpleasant to the ear. I mean when noise music started happening, you know it meant we had reached the bottom of that barrel (yeah the first few who did it had something interesting, then it became all about people randomly hitting instruments)

I mean ok everyone's take on whatever style they play or on the music that influenced them differs somewhat from another with the very same influences, theres always a bit of a personal take i suppose, you process your influences through in your own personal way, but at some point the differences become so slight they don't really count. I mean i do think originality is probably overrated in music but I really think the reason we don't hear much new in music anymore is sut because it peaked. Ran out of things to try. Last time anything real new came about was electronic music and then by about the mid 90's what you could do with this had also been pretty much all explored.

If one needs to be convinced that music has stagnated, take an average radio song from 1982. Then take one from 1992. You'll know the difference right away (well assuming in this scenario that you don't know the songs). Now take one from 2004 and one from 2014..... good luck guessing which is from when. And sure some of this is technology, it kinda has peaked in terms of recording and production and all that, but it's not just that. I think some time in the early 2000s rock music in its wide encompassing definition (basically anything else it spawned) pretty much stopped evolving in significant ways. Its all about revivals now (And fuck me i don't want to go through grunge again)

Anyway i derailed this thread but who cares, nobody reads my long posts.

TuralyonW3
05-26-2014, 12:36 AM
"Synth pop" is like saying "guitar rock"

Elphenor
05-26-2014, 12:59 AM
Noise Rock is awesome. Avant garde stuff. You just have to understand that it is literally about making "noise".

Not all music is meant to sound pleasant to the ear, the same way not all visual art is meant to be pleasant to the eyes.

I'm Hardcore
05-26-2014, 02:22 AM
You just have to understand that it is literally about making "noise".

no, no it is not.

Elphenor
05-26-2014, 02:31 AM
Some of it is.
The music EB was describing sounded like it.
I'm thinking of like Lou Reed's "Metal Machine" esque stuff.

But I guess technically that's not noise rock.

I'm Hardcore
05-26-2014, 02:32 AM
Metal Machine Music is a piece of shit

I'm Hardcore
05-26-2014, 02:33 AM
how you can read those long-winded posts, i will never know

I'm Hardcore
05-26-2014, 02:34 AM
"noise rock" = basically anything that came out on Amphetamine Reptile, or similar.

Elphenor
05-26-2014, 02:38 AM
I like it. *shrugs*

Maybe it's more of the attitude that's great. The idea of just recording an hour of straight noise and having the audacity to release it through a label.

It's like when "Modern art" pieces go for thousands of dollars and you're like "Did your 2 year old actually paint that?"

I like Art where you have to go: Is this art or am I just getting fucked with?

Elphenor
05-26-2014, 02:40 AM
how you can read those long-winded posts, i will never know

Way too much free time. I should get a second job or a gf or something

Catherine Wheel
05-26-2014, 02:43 AM
I've noticed that bands that often get tagged noise rock are actually grunge revival stuff. Stuff like Speedy Ortiz, Yuck, Joy Formidable.

I'm Hardcore
05-26-2014, 02:46 AM
I like it. *shrugs*

Maybe it's more of the attitude that's great. The idea of just recording an hour of straight noise and having the audacity to release it through a label.

It's like when "Modern art" pieces go for thousands of dollars and you're like "Did your 2 year old actually paint that?"

I like Art where you have to go: Is this art or am I just getting fucked with?

if you actually listen to avant-garde bands, you really should pick up on the fact that it's not simply about creating noise. and what is the point of 'straight noise'? i cant think of many more stupid ways of approaching music making.

Elphenor
05-26-2014, 02:48 AM
I feel like having distorted guitars does not at all constitute the label "noise".

Noise should be reserved for just sounds that are meant to be just sounds. No beat or notes.

I'm Hardcore
05-26-2014, 02:50 AM
well, that's what noise rock is. the genre. 'noise rock'.

Metal Machine does not fall under that label.

I'm Hardcore
05-26-2014, 02:52 AM
here is a 'noise rock' band

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/k3BZbPeSli0?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/k3BZbPeSli0?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Elphenor
05-26-2014, 02:52 AM
Yeah. No, you're right

I'm Hardcore
05-26-2014, 02:53 AM
it's kind of a cool discussion to have i think

Elphenor
05-26-2014, 02:59 AM
if you actually listen to avant-garde bands, you really should pick up on the fact that it's not simply about creating noise. and what is the point of 'straight noise'? i cant think of many more stupid ways of approaching music making.

The point of straight noise is just to make things that sound alien and unique. Avant garde started when people got bored of the limitations of traditional notes. Shit starts to all sound the same.

So the idea for a lot of disenchanted classical musicians was to just make weird noises and record them. Sometimes there is a point but a lot of the time there wasn't.

And then obviously bands started taking these untraditional sounds and combining them with traditional music. Which made music exciting again.

I'm Hardcore
05-26-2014, 03:11 AM
So the idea for a lot of disenchanted classical musicians was to just make weird noises and record them. Sometimes there is a point but a lot of the time there wasn't.

it's not that simple. John Cage or Stockhausen, for example, didn't record music for 'the sake' of it, or whatever. maybe it's easy to confuse that with the desire for experimentation.

those guys weren't disenchanted at all - they knew exactly what they were trying to achieve.

I'm Hardcore
05-26-2014, 03:11 AM
The point of straight noise is just to make things that sound alien and unique.

that's really the point of avant-garde.

slunken
05-26-2014, 09:39 AM
Is this thread real?

The exploding boy
05-26-2014, 02:42 PM
it's not that simple. John Cage or Stockhausen, for example, didn't record music for 'the sake' of it, or whatever. maybe it's easy to confuse that with the desire for experimentation.

those guys weren't disenchanted at all - they knew exactly what they were trying to achieve.

That's true for those guys. But this isn't noise (as mentioned).

My problem is with noise rock made by often times hipster morons that is just an excuse for people to be in a band and not bother to learn anything about music. I mean i've seen and known local noise bands that were exactly like that. Overnight they'd proclaim themselves a band despite having barely ever touched an instrument and thought what they were doing was new and exciting, randomly hitting their instruments more or less and screaming into a mic and omg they were like so challenging it automatically made them awesome. To those people I say, fuck you and your alleged art

I actually listened to some Drunks with Guns to see if I could judge them accurately on this one song posted, and even they are too structured (and playing in tune and consistent keys) for me to throw into that category.

But I guess i'm wrong as to what constitutes noise rock.. OR the people I've seen play it were anyway. I can't say I've ever had an interest to learn more based on the examples I heard. The bands I heard (and object to) were really to me pretty much straight (or close to straight) noise.

I'm Hardcore
05-26-2014, 07:03 PM
Is this thread real?

yes :)

I'm Hardcore
05-26-2014, 07:36 PM
That's true for those guys. But this isn't noise (as mentioned).

My problem is with noise rock made by often times hipster morons that is just an excuse for people to be in a band and not bother to learn anything about music. I mean i've seen and known local noise bands that were exactly like that. Overnight they'd proclaim themselves a band despite having barely ever touched an instrument and thought what they were doing was new and exciting, randomly hitting their instruments more or less and screaming into a mic and omg they were like so challenging it automatically made them awesome. To those people I say, fuck you and your alleged art

I actually listened to some Drunks with Guns to see if I could judge them accurately on this one song posted, and even they are too structured (and playing in tune and consistent keys) for me to throw into that category.

But I guess i'm wrong as to what constitutes noise rock.. OR the people I've seen play it were anyway. I can't say I've ever had an interest to learn more based on the examples I heard. The bands I heard (and object to) were really to me pretty much straight (or close to straight) noise.

do you actually read other peoples posts?

I'm Hardcore
05-26-2014, 08:18 PM
sorry for ruining your thread, pavement

pavementtune
05-26-2014, 08:24 PM
Nothing ruined, should start a sadwave thread next

Order 66
05-27-2014, 12:41 AM
austra's pretty good too. new album kinda sucks though

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/khT-s-3E8Uw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

pavementtune
05-27-2014, 07:54 AM
Oha, totally forgot Austra, I have/had? Feel It Break somewhere.

LALI PUNA
(another band with Markus Acher of The Notwist)

<iframe width="460" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/0b0tzxc-O8U"
frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Maybe you dig SOHN when you're done with the Johnny Crash playlist?
Sadwave, smooth, and slightly depressing if you listen long enough. perfect for driving

<iframe width="460" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/a6lBPuYTN8o"
frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

toase
06-03-2014, 11:59 AM
Nothing ruined, should start a sadwave thread next

so, wait, sadwave is not the same as synth pop? what about chillwave? electronic indie?

I like these a little:

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/CUgI-iy8rKY?hl=pt_BR&amp;version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/CUgI-iy8rKY?hl=pt_BR&amp;version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/9l2C27jP4Kw?hl=pt_BR&amp;version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/9l2C27jP4Kw?hl=pt_BR&amp;version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/pBv6pgwRnDA?hl=pt_BR&amp;version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/pBv6pgwRnDA?hl=pt_BR&amp;version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

pavementtune
06-03-2014, 12:18 PM
I wasn't serious. I just like the word 'sadwave.'
For me synth pop, chillwave etc. includes happy sounds, too, sadwave doesn't. SOHN is sadwave. Not depressing, just smoothly sad.

Never heard Pillar Point before.

The exploding boy
06-03-2014, 01:25 PM
Fucking subgenres labeling has gone absolutely out of control in the past two decades.

Elphenor
06-03-2014, 03:09 PM
I like the term "Navelgaze"

Music for people who look down towards their belly

Trotskilicious
06-03-2014, 03:12 PM
that's not what it means

Elphenor
06-03-2014, 03:20 PM
I know.

But it's what it should mean

Trotskilicious