View Full Version : Random work schedules

Elphenor
05-11-2014, 05:09 AM
Anyone here ever work a job where your hours vary tremendously?
My job has work a complete random bullshit schedule every week.

I had to start at 3am, then the next day at 12pm, then the next day at 6am.
So I'm always tired or awake at 2am like right now.

The exploding boy
05-11-2014, 10:30 AM
yeah thats pretty much bullshit. Id tell them to take their job and shove it.

Eulogy
05-11-2014, 11:02 AM
what do you do?

sppunk
05-11-2014, 12:36 PM
what do you do?

I'm guessing fast food employee.

Order 66
05-11-2014, 12:45 PM
probably retail

Future Boy
05-11-2014, 12:50 PM
this was just up yesterday, http://www.nbcnews.com/feature/in-plain-sight/shift-change-just-time-scheduling-creates-chaos-workers-n95881, so probably retail

reprise85
05-11-2014, 01:01 PM
Anyone here ever work a job where your hours vary tremendously?
My job has work a complete random bullshit schedule every week.

I had to start at 3am, then the next day at 12pm, then the next day at 6am.
So I'm always tired or awake at 2am like right now.

Yeah that's bullshit. I've had jobs like that though, when I was your age. Now I work at a store where I can tell them when I'm available and they'll give me whatever I want. The worst I get is like working until 10pm and coming back in at 9am on a Sat/Sun. But I can't really remember the last time that happened.

If I had reduced my availability right away after being hired as "open schedule" it would have looked bad. But now they value me and will work with me.

So basically: Assert yourself or find a different job.

reprise85
05-11-2014, 01:07 PM
This is assuming you're working part time.

Trotskilicious
05-11-2014, 03:24 PM
in my experience managers who are scared of firing people make shifts like that for people they want to get rid of

Elphenor
05-11-2014, 03:32 PM
I'm about to get a promotion actually.

I work at a grocery store as a bagger and just general work mule for all the departments to drop whatever shitty part of their job they don't want to do.
"There's an inspection today, and the baseboards in the walk-in freezer need to be cleaned. That's gonna fucking suck! Let's get the bag boy to come in at 3am to do it."

I'm getting moved to Deli though, but there's only spots open because everyone who gets moved there quits within a few months. So yeah, maybe they're trying to get rid of me.

The exploding boy
05-11-2014, 03:50 PM
Doesn't that job make you want to kill yourself? I know it would for me.

I worked in a convenience store for a year ages ago. I'd say worst job ever but actually not true, I've had worse. Probably the worst I ever tried was picking raspberries in fields. You know that scene in Napoleon Dynamite where he goes to work on some egg farm and it sucks and he gets home to like 6 dollars? There's pretty much how this was, including the awkward break for lunch. They ask you will you come back tomorrow, hmm, what do you think? No wonder they hire Mexicans. No white privileged citizen in their right mind would lower themselves to this.

Elphenor
05-11-2014, 03:54 PM
It's so much better than my last shitty job, that I don't even find it that bad.

I don't think there's a job I can get that doesn't suck. I'm starting college very soon, so idk, eventually I'll get to do something that doesn't require scrubbing baseboards.

hnibos
05-11-2014, 04:03 PM
Good luck with that.

SuckSuckStyle
05-11-2014, 08:26 PM
we have a strange shift thing at my job.

12 hour shifts, 3 or 4 days on, then 3 or 4 days off. each shift period you switch off doing night and day shift.

so you work mon-thurs 7am-7pm, have a few days off, then come back and work 7pm-7am for some days. and keep flip flopping like that.

it's kinda weird but it also kinda works. you always have a 3 day weekend and never work more than 4 days in a row, sometimes less, and night shift is a breeze compared to day so everyone takes turns with shift loads to make it fair.

MusicMan4
05-11-2014, 08:30 PM
I really wish I had just stayed on disability
It was enough to pay for all my meds I would have just had to give up buying complete in box NES games

reprise85
05-11-2014, 08:36 PM
I'm about to get a promotion actually.

I work at a grocery store as a bagger and just general work mule for all the departments to drop whatever shitty part of their job they don't want to do.
"There's an inspection today, and the baseboards in the walk-in freezer need to be cleaned. That's gonna fucking suck! Let's get the bag boy to come in at 3am to do it."

I'm getting moved to Deli though, but there's only spots open because everyone who gets moved there quits within a few months. So yeah, maybe they're trying to get rid of me.

The Deli sucks. Only department in my store that consistently gets complaints. Everyone hates working there. I wouldn't call it a promotion, even if they do pay you more. They are constantly looking for people to train to pull some shifts over there because everyone quits. No thanks.

reprise85
05-11-2014, 08:40 PM
They're taking advantage of you, btw.

MusicMan4
05-11-2014, 08:41 PM
So is every employer
That's what capitalism is

SuckSuckStyle
05-11-2014, 08:47 PM
i told my boss yesterday that I'm leaving for 2 weeks after my operation. i didnt ask. just said i'll be back in june. he can't do shit.

yay job security!

SuckSuckStyle
05-11-2014, 08:47 PM
then 2 weeks later i have to leave again.

yay visa runs! he can't say no or else ill be deported!

Elphenor
05-11-2014, 09:00 PM
They're taking advantage of you, btw.

Obviously. But there's not any sort of choice on my part.

I have nothing but fast food and a high school diploma on my resume.
Basically, Im going to be taking it up the ass for at least another four years.

reprise85
05-11-2014, 09:08 PM
You can't tell them you can't work before 6am or something? That's not an unreasonable boundary, no?

They are probably using scheduling software, if it's a decent sized store/chain. It's just putting you wherever it wants. They can limit where it puts you, but that might make you have less hours but it's not like they can't put more in manually if they want to.

MusicMan4
05-11-2014, 09:09 PM
There are plenty of office jobs with regular schedules available to people with no experience or real education
Otherwise I would have never gotten a job

MusicMan4
05-11-2014, 09:12 PM
The work I do I see at least a couple ads for every month and it never requires experience and it pays enough to live on as long as you aren't a complete irresponsible degenerate like I am
I don't even want it publicized really so I have less competition next time I need a new one

slunken
05-11-2014, 09:42 PM
idk if anyone suggested this or not but JUST LIE.

"oh yea i have classes at xx and on xx between xx and xx"

PROBLEM SOLVED

Elphenor
05-11-2014, 09:53 PM
That is genius.

Elphenor
05-11-2014, 09:54 PM
Im useless at 6am anyway.

I just wander around like a zombie.

pavementtune
05-29-2014, 10:59 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BowGKZbIQAAMSbw.jpg

Trotskilicious
05-29-2014, 11:12 AM
i've only been asked that question once in the last five years and i've had a lot of interviews because i guess i look good on paper but once you get a chance to see me in person and/or hear me talk my unquestionable loserliness is evident like the smell of a ripe turd

The exploding boy
05-29-2014, 12:14 PM
YOU'RE NEVER GONNA GET AHEAD WITH THAT KIND OF ATTITUDE, BUDDY BOY. NOW HOW BOUT YOU WORK ON THAT SHIT EATING GRIN.

yo soy el mejor
05-29-2014, 03:25 PM
I really like my schedule. I work Sunday - Thursday with Friday and Saturday off. Having Fridays off is wonderful. And it helps my boss is super cool and really likes me. I've gotten some good feedback from him (and he's gotten some from other people about me), which I will use to my advantage when I have my review.

yo soy el mejor
05-29-2014, 03:25 PM
gimme money.

mxzombie
05-29-2014, 03:31 PM
It really works!

Trotskilicious
05-29-2014, 04:01 PM
i will be working 3-11pm starting june 23 from T-Sat and then i will cut my own head off

bignothing
05-29-2014, 04:40 PM
Why?? I was gonna say you're crazy to agree to that but to be fair my only reasoning is "...but concerts start at 9pm?!?!" At least you get to sleep in everyday?

hnibos
05-29-2014, 04:43 PM
I just worked 7 days in a row but I got the next three days off and then my only day off next week is Saturday that I requested so I can see USMNT in Jacksonville and then it's probably another 6 or 7 days in a row because the company I work for gets mad orgasms from being perpetually understaffed.

bye june
05-29-2014, 04:45 PM

bye june
05-29-2014, 04:46 PM
It's been almost 2 months since I was fired from my job

bignothing
05-29-2014, 04:49 PM
what did you do

slunken
05-29-2014, 04:51 PM
he got fired, duh

Elphenor
05-29-2014, 04:51 PM
I actually have a set schedule save for like one day a week now.
8-5, five days a week. Then like some occasional bullshit 6th day at like 3am or something.

I'm working over 40 hrs a week, I barely sleep, I eat Oreos for dinner, and I have to walk everywhere.
I'll probably make it another week before just dropping dead.

slunken
05-29-2014, 04:52 PM
i have to work this saturday. sucks.

yo soy el mejor
05-29-2014, 04:55 PM
i could pass as you, i think.

slunken
05-29-2014, 04:55 PM
the stupid part is that i think we're only going to be cleaning the shop. what a drag.

bye june
05-29-2014, 05:01 PM
what did you do

I worked at a shipping warehouse on 2nd shift. I started on 3rd shift and was there for 8 months before moving to 2nds...I just couldn't handle it...so I asked to be moved and took the first available spot.

Anyway, the work on 3rds is laid back but different from 2nds, which is faster paced.

To be continued...

Trotskilicious
05-29-2014, 06:44 PM
Why?? I was gonna say you're crazy to agree to that but to be fair my only reasoning is "...but concerts start at 9pm?!?!" At least you get to sleep in everyday?

it was that or 8 in the morning with no weekends

although one thing is that they offer "vto" which they open up all the time for you to just go home at a certain time and use your PTO...i'm hoping i can use this because SWANS plays my first week out of training and i've already missed them on the last two tours

i'm just really excited to have conversations with people about their cancer or the fact that there is a cure but obama won't release it because he's hitler reborn

darby
05-29-2014, 06:53 PM
yeah i used to work at disneyland, random schedules were a thing unless you were full-time with the company. you couldn't have much of a life because of it

reprise85
05-29-2014, 07:00 PM
i go to school from 10a-2p Mon - Thur, work 4 out of 5 days (usually, sometimes all 5) Tue, Wed, Fri, Sat, Sun. Two nights during the week (5-9:30 usually, sometimes to 11:30), and generally mid shifts on the weekends (somewhere between 8 am and 8 pm) with some rare exceptions. 25-30 hours total per week.

We don't have set schedules but you can put in availability, so I'm off Mon/Thur and only after 5 Tues/Wed. I am completely their bitch Fri-Sun.

reprise85
05-29-2014, 07:05 PM
I also set down the pattern that I don't come in on my off days if they call me, so they never call me anymore.

Trotskilicious
05-29-2014, 07:08 PM
^ nice job. i was always mystified by people who not only answer the phone but also agree to do it and THEN THEY COMPLAIN ABOUT IT

okay man just don't answer
well then i'll get fired
no you won't
what do you know you're like the biggest loser i've ever met, you're lucky i even speak to you
oh, fair point

slunken
05-29-2014, 07:25 PM

seriously

slunken
05-29-2014, 07:27 PM
Like why in Gods name would anyone see that work is calling on their off day, and then proceed to answer it? Whyyy? What else could they possibly want?

vixnix
05-29-2014, 07:36 PM
I'm usually in the building 9-2 Mon - Thu, then 9:30-12 on Sunday.

I have a random (non existent) work schedule when I have to organise something for an event... So sometimes I'm up all night and in all weekend. But it's flexible too, so if I have errands to run, I can usually leave early or come in late, during a normal week. The family-friendly nature of working for a church offsets the minimum wage pay, for the most part.

Trotskilicious
05-29-2014, 07:42 PM
Like why in Gods name would anyone see that work is calling on their off day, and then proceed to answer it? Whyyy? What else could they possibly want?

it's ALWAYS motivated by either fear or...well mostly fear.

there are SOME mad, mad people that actually want to do it for overtime or more tips or whatever

slunken
05-29-2014, 07:53 PM
it's ALWAYS motivated by either fear or...well mostly fear.

nail on the head, here.

phone rings.
freak out and answer it.

mxzombie
05-29-2014, 08:12 PM
i work 8a-5p m-f

Elphenor
05-29-2014, 08:22 PM
Never answer a call from work lol

Trotskilicious
05-29-2014, 10:20 PM
nail on the head, here.

phone rings.
freak out and answer it.

this conversation that i have had a few times

*phone rings*
oh my god its work what do i do
ME: don't answer it
but i dunno man
*rings some more*
Hello? Oh hey yeah. I'm at home. Yeah. Okay. I mean i guess so.

Trotskilicious
05-29-2014, 10:21 PM
and then it's a pity party at crybabies house

bye june
05-30-2014, 01:02 AM
Long story short, I couldn't get 120 orders every night because I'm OCD about every detail.
And I never had any errors...but somehow almost everyone else could get 120+ every night, but I know they had tons of errors.

reprise85
05-30-2014, 01:21 AM
^ nice job. i was always mystified by people who not only answer the phone but also agree to do it and THEN THEY COMPLAIN ABOUT IT

well then i'll get fired
no you won't
what do you know you're like the biggest loser i've ever met, you're lucky i even speak to you
oh, fair point

I would answer and then just tell them no. Now that I got promoted I might consider coming in if they really needed me since there's only like 8 of us that can do it vs. 30 cashiers or whatever could do my old job. But just by setting down the pattern of not coming in I know if they were to call it'd be because it was the last resort.

Also I never tell them why. I figure I don't owe a part time job a reason why I can't drop everything and come in. Honestly I think it earned me some respect points with my manager. I do my job well and if they need to switch around shifts a day or two in advance, that's fine as long as it doesn't conflict with prior school/doctor commitments.

Trotskilicious
05-30-2014, 01:29 AM
Long story short, I couldn't get 120 orders every night because I'm OCD about every detail.
And I never had any errors...but somehow almost everyone else could get 120+ every night, but I know they had tons of errors.

one of things you have to remember is mistakes about an order isn't very important in the scope of life itself and there's a such thing as nartural margin of error

bye june
05-30-2014, 10:21 AM
Yea but they wanna bitch at you when you make a mistake so it's a lose lose.
I even worked through my breaks to get my quota but I still couldn't please those fuckers.
But that was 2nd shift...they loved me on thirds and didn't want me to leave because I was one of the best workers there.

Trotskilicious
05-30-2014, 11:27 AM
sounds like a bad job, you're better off

there are jobs where they don't act like mistakes are the end of the world and have a positive approach to employee feedback. i don't understand these places that think a whip is going to motivate anyone worth two tugs of a dead dog's dick

mostly what happens is they wind up with stupid, cowering people who never say anything and then the bigwigs are like 'why aren't we getting any critical thinking from our workforce?' because you scared the shit out of them, idiots

Eulogy
05-30-2014, 11:33 AM
I think I need to be out of the country to really truly avoid work.

Order 66
05-30-2014, 11:59 AM
mostly what happens is they wind up with stupid, cowering people who never say anything and then the bigwigs are like 'why aren't we getting any critical thinking from our workforce?' because you scared the shit out of them, idiots

amen

Elphenor
05-31-2014, 12:25 AM
Worked until 8pm and have to come back at 6am.

The fuck is this shit?
And I have to work with the manager in training who's a total bitch and is going to be a terrible manager because she can't keep calm. If everything isn't just right she starts getting all panicky and when you do that it makes your dumb employees all panicky and I just want to be like "Just chill the fuck out who even cares this is sandwich making not fucking NASA"

And she's one of those people who doesn't seem to realize how abrasive her personality is. She doesn't mean it, but everyone in the Deli walks away from her coughing "Whatabitch" into their sleeve

Trotskilicious
05-31-2014, 12:48 AM
total bitch bro

Trotskilicious
05-31-2014, 12:48 AM
i wonder when elp is going to move to austin

i mean he has all the qualifications for a new austin townie:

1) from california
2) dumb as a box of bricks
3) 20 something
4) horny
5) Into post punk

bye june
05-31-2014, 11:12 AM
sounds like a bad job, you're better off

there are jobs where they don't act like mistakes are the end of the world and have a positive approach to employee feedback. i don't understand these places that think a whip is going to motivate anyone worth two tugs of a dead dog's dick

Yea and I think they knew I wasn't scared of them...
I knew I was doing a good job, even above average, but I guess they wanted quantity over quallity and that's not me so fuck 'em.

bye june
05-31-2014, 11:18 AM
Worked until 8pm and have to come back at 6am.

The fuck is this shit?

Bro, I've been there done that. I worked at Kmart and I had to be there almost every Sunday at 5am. Sometimes I would have to be there on Saturday until 9pm and come in the next morning at 5am.
And it's like a 30 minute drive for me so I'm waking up at like 330 0r 4 to get ready.
Still, it was a better experience than the warehouse job.

Elphenor
05-31-2014, 01:57 PM
i wonder when elp is going to move to austin

i mean he has all the qualifications for a new austin townie:

1) from california
2) dumb as a box of bricks
3) 20 something
4) horny
5) Into post punk

I meet like 2 of the 5 there.

I was born in Austin btw

The exploding boy
05-31-2014, 02:06 PM
It has to be 3 because as far as I know you're 20 and into post punk and being a guy then it's a given you're horny.

Elphenor
05-31-2014, 02:25 PM
Yeah, but Im not "from California"

I just happen to live there right now.

Elphenor
05-31-2014, 02:35 PM
Shit that's still 3.

Go ahead and add "dumb as bricks" I guess

Trotskilicious
05-31-2014, 02:43 PM
4/5

realy you were born in austin? (westlake probably)

Elphenor
05-31-2014, 06:26 PM
Wait. You're telling me there are a bunch of horny 20 somethings that are Into post-punk in Austin?

The exploding boy
05-31-2014, 07:05 PM
I'm pretty sure there's people like that in good numbers in any major city.

well maybe not san diego.... then again, I'm not sure you've looked properly.

Trotskilicious
05-31-2014, 07:11 PM
no, there's certain cities that are definitely more bro. philadelphia, san antonio, san diego

Elphenor
05-31-2014, 07:40 PM
Idk. I have this fantasy of forming this post-punk band here in SD with a sort of Cali surf rock edge (ala Pixies) and just walking shirtless on the beach with black skinny jeans all of us skinny and pale sporting wild haircuts our bassist being a chick with pink hair and sunglasses.

Elphenor
05-31-2014, 07:48 PM
Someone post that Sonic Youth album again

Trotskilicious
05-31-2014, 07:49 PM
pretty sure surf rock post punk is the pixies so unless you're going to make a stupid cover band

slunken
05-31-2014, 07:53 PM
there's nothing surf rock about crying and mascara

Elphenor
05-31-2014, 08:06 PM
I was talking to peachy peach about kissy kiss

Elphenor
05-31-2014, 08:07 PM
And yeah that's exactly what they are now that I think about.

Pretty trippy

Elphenor
05-31-2014, 08:19 PM
I said I wanna be a sing-a like Lou Reed-a

That shit is so post-punk

Trotskilicious
05-31-2014, 08:37 PM
pre post punk post can we just call it alternative i don't know this is dumb

Cool As Ice Cream
06-02-2014, 05:00 AM
I was talking to peachy peach about kissy kiss

preachy preach

I was talking to preachy-preach about kissy-kiss
He bought me a soda
He bought me a soda
He bought me a soda and tried to molest me in the parking lot
I make you pray
You make me hard

Elphenor
06-02-2014, 05:09 AM
That shit makes no sense yo

Elphenor
06-02-2014, 05:10 AM
YOURE THE BONE MACHINE

Cool As Ice Cream
06-02-2014, 05:13 AM
yes, it makes perfect sense, you dimmy. it's about someone religious (preachy-preach) talking to him about sex, buying him a soda and trying to molest him, probably while singing "i make you pray, you make me hard".

Cool As Ice Cream
06-02-2014, 05:14 AM
how does peachy peach make any more sense? you stupid fuck.

Elphenor
06-02-2014, 05:17 AM
Lol.
I wasn't being serious bro.

Elphenor
06-02-2014, 05:18 AM
You could troll Bram so hard by misquoting Frank

Cool As Ice Cream
06-02-2014, 05:20 AM
you could troll me by misspelling any word.

Cool As Ice Cream
06-02-2014, 05:21 AM
makes me blood boil

Elphenor
06-02-2014, 05:28 AM
GIGANTIC A BIG BIG LOVE

A cell phone ad here in The States is using that song. I don't think they know what she's talking about.

yo soy el mejor
06-02-2014, 08:38 AM
fitting in some king of the hill before work right now.

bye.