View Full Version : A continuing feature, items regarding each day’s recording will be shared that same

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Elvis The Fat Years
03-25-2014, 06:12 PM
evening,

Recording started today so we should see something in next few hours.

:rofl:

Tuscaloosa
03-25-2014, 06:15 PM
probably just polishing up the word docs

scottytheoneand
03-25-2014, 06:20 PM
i wonder what people are saying about this on the Oboard?

jczeroman
03-25-2014, 06:44 PM
I predict 13 of these total.

Starla
03-25-2014, 07:05 PM
Where's the o'board? the links take you back to that angelfire page.

themadcaplaughs
03-25-2014, 07:10 PM
Sounds like 2009 all over again...

pavementtune
03-25-2014, 10:52 PM
Well nice and all, they actually already updated today.

I'm just not sure who is really interested in this daily feature. As long as you can't listen to anything on that site, what are you going to do with a handwritten list of song titles?

If it were for the reissues, okay. But how big is the interest in the "making of" CorganSchroeder 2015 material without sound samples?

Ram27
03-25-2014, 11:00 PM
I was gonna ask if anyone transcribed it, but I don't really care enough nor does anyone else care enough.

@pave It's not about that. as discussed in the other thread, Billy's just doing it to force himself to release the album eventually

slunken
03-25-2014, 11:22 PM
I was gonna ask if anyone transcribed it,

there's a song called "hot as sinn" and another called "roccasins". that was enough for me.

Araneae
03-25-2014, 11:33 PM
132 demos from 2014 Billy doesn't excite me like it used to. I really wonder about the quality of the songs, that's a lot of demos. I think posting clips would have been more interesting, these photos are quite useless, and some of these titles are cringe inducing. It looks like a concept album to me, one with political overtones.

His writing is atrocious but this is what I got from first glance.

fair among the crowd
?
freedom river
lonely saints
no one knows
not another daydream
pathetique
romantique
palindrome
demo 3/26
?
hot as sinn
serpentine
song 1
song 2
song 3
bc - 4/9
anti-hero
?
song x
tiberius
cardinal rule
?
dorian

slunken
03-25-2014, 11:37 PM
two that you're missing is "(someting) scientist" and "roccasins"

slunken
03-25-2014, 11:39 PM
8 members and 156 guests

Araneae
03-25-2014, 11:41 PM
"roccasins"

What does that even mean?

reprise85
03-25-2014, 11:46 PM
moccasins that rock, duh

reprise85
03-25-2014, 11:47 PM
billy's got those hott mocc's

pavementtune
03-25-2014, 11:50 PM
I was gonna ask if anyone transcribed it, but I don't really care enough nor does anyone else care enough.

@pave It's not about that. as discussed in the other thread, Billy's just doing it to force himself to release the album eventually

Yea, you are right. I have to remind myself to forget about a conceptual webpage and how to release something that's really interesting to the majority of fans.

I do love song titles, whiteboard pictures etc. If that were the second page for the Adore reissue, I would look hard, trying to decipher it.
But as it is, my fascination died with tbk song titles. One look at this thing and reading anti-hero and tiberius was enough.

Araneae
03-25-2014, 11:55 PM
I used to love song titles. TBK ruined it for me too.

My cringe moment came when I read "pathetique" and "romantique," and then it just got even worse. I shouldn't have read them.

GLOWer
03-26-2014, 12:15 AM
i'd put money on them being temp titles. probably related to the nonsense lyrics he's sung in the raw demos. while there are 100+ songs, his comments about arrangement and the like tomorrow suggest they're rough as hell. probably fragmentary and unfocused.

slunken
03-26-2014, 12:22 AM
moccasins that rock, duh

exactly. this lady gets it.

slunken
03-26-2014, 12:27 AM
"palidrome" is spelled incorrectly unless he's trying to make it spell "palidrone" (which i doubt).

also, 3/4 of those song titles sound like every other scrapped song title from the past 5 years. i'm not going to agree with the others who say that this "update" should have included sound clips but it's difficult to get excited about a list of words on a piece of paper. its 2014. when's the adore reissue?

slunken
03-26-2014, 12:31 AM
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a254/filepics/pumpkins/SP_090618IMG_1458.jpg

by my count only 4 of those songs actually got released

Shallowed
03-26-2014, 12:35 AM
moccasins that rock, duh

For his Rocktopus, no doubt.

Shallowed
03-26-2014, 12:35 AM
by my count only 4 of those songs actually got released

Unless they're just working titles

slunken
03-26-2014, 12:36 AM
I just wonder how much of this is Billy recognizing it's the same old patterns over and over again which the typical SP fan would not be aware of so it doesn't matter, or if he is in denial and does not realize he is repeating the same patterns over and over again.

ABSOLUTELY GROUNDBREAKING V.4.0

Kreatorkind
03-26-2014, 12:36 AM
FREEDOM RIDER!!!

slunken
03-26-2014, 12:41 AM
Unless they're just working titles

some of them clearly could be but nonetheless nothing was ever done to confirm or deny. billy's fault or the fans?

slunken
03-26-2014, 12:43 AM
for example "how i've loved you" is probably spangled and i've always thought "fate the lonely actor" could be that one oceania song with the line about "when love's the actor"

pavementtune
03-26-2014, 12:49 AM
I hope ROCCASINS makes it as a final title.

If somebody with drawing skills could add them (maybe Corgan holding them) - the final artwork will be featured on the nexus. Between the tea and wrestling links.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BXNr4qvIcAAKRP7.jpg

pavementtune
03-26-2014, 12:51 AM
I just wonder how much of this is Billy recognizing it's the same old patterns over and over again which the typical SP fan would not be aware of so it doesn't matter, or if he is in denial and does not realize he is repeating the same patterns over and over again.

ABSOLUTELY GROUNDBREAKING V.4.0

Or he likes to have the same patterns, they are his, why not. Some sort of continuity in how he works

Kreatorkind
03-26-2014, 12:52 AM
When you say fans, which fans are you referring to exactly? Certainly not people here

Yes, cuz those here can do no rong*.

*i no it needs a double you.

Kreatorkind
03-26-2014, 12:52 AM
I hope ROCCASINS makes it as a final title.

If somebody with drawing skills could add them (maybe Corgan holding them) - the final artwork will be featured on the nexus. Between the tea and wrestling links.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BXNr4qvIcAAKRP7.jpg

Hey! I made that! :mad:

Kreatorkind
03-26-2014, 12:56 AM
Youu must have the urge to replace Monte.

I have certain unnatural urges with monte... replacing is not one of them. :cool:

pavementtune
03-26-2014, 12:56 AM
Hey! I made that! :mad:

I know! Jeff's outfit at rpro reminded me of it. You predicted it pretty accurately

Kreatorkind
03-26-2014, 12:59 AM
I know! Jeff's outfit at rpro reminded me of it. You predicted it pretty accurately

I just missed the blonde hair. :p

slunken
03-26-2014, 01:01 AM
When you say fans, which fans are you referring to exactly? Certainly not people here

It's no secret that the people here are not fans of the current incarnation of SP the rock band, but are more interested in BC as a person, if at all. Speaking generally.

Yes, cuz those here can do no rong*.

*i no it needs a double you.

You can't fault a group of people for having historical accuracy and evidence on their side, as opposed to just making stuff up in the hopes to get a couple of chuckles. To me that's the main difference between here and the oboard: actual facts.

Beginning of time is quasar which blurricane was probably one of those "let's have a cool name for it'.

Do you have a source for this or are you just making stuff up?

slunken
03-26-2014, 01:03 AM
Ew, no one wants to hear about your ass poking Monty fantasy.

Ok, actually they probably do. Monty too

Is he fired? He's quiet

here is what i mean about the making stuff up for laffs with no factual basis

Kreatorkind
03-26-2014, 01:05 AM
You can't fault a group of people for having historical accuracy and evidence on their side, as opposed to just making stuff up in the hopes to get a couple of chuckles. To me that's the main difference between here and the oboard: actual facts.

What did I make up?

slunken
03-26-2014, 01:06 AM
A lot of people just assume that netphoria is mindless slagging but it's actually incredibly ripe with historical information and real knowledge and when it strays from that people (even regular posters) get called out.

slunken
03-26-2014, 01:08 AM
What did I make up?

you said that those here can do no wrong - as if you automatically become intitiated simply by being here. it takes much greater knowledge than that.

slunken
03-26-2014, 01:09 AM
I dunno kiddo, just appears to make complete sense.

:jackyl:

:noway:

slunken
03-26-2014, 01:10 AM
A lot of people don't care to learn more about the music beyond a "just the hits" info or public appearance either.

these are not message board people. please stick to facebook and maybe crestfallen occasionally for this sort of news.

slunken
03-26-2014, 01:11 AM
There is no cabal.

pavementtune
03-26-2014, 01:13 AM
A lot of people don't care to learn more about the music beyond a "just the hits" info or public appearance either.

and history shows that these people disappear rather quickly from this board. If they don't get it in time, we help by insulting them until they leave. Would you like that help?

Kreatorkind
03-26-2014, 01:17 AM
you said that those here can do no wrong - as if you automatically become intitiated simply by being here. it takes much greater knowledge than that.

http://www.troll.me/images/y-u-no/sarcasm-y-u-no-work-on-internet.jpg

dustrock
03-26-2014, 01:19 AM
I don't mind a glimpse inside the studio.

slunken
03-26-2014, 01:20 AM
http://www.troll.me/images/y-u-no/sarcasm-y-u-no-work-on-internet.jpg

I understand that you were being sarcastic. Yet I was simply uncovering that as an untrue stereotype. It's exactly what I'm talking about. Phoria probably chases off more boarders daily than you have hits on your bandcamp. It's not our fault. They just can't hang with the big boys.

WALK TALL AND CARRY A BIG STICK (FULL OF FACTUAL INFORMATION)

pavementtune
03-26-2014, 01:29 AM
Phoria probably chases off more boarders daily than you have hits on your bandcamp.

Someone already hire slunks for marketing. That's the best netphoria slogan in a while.

slunken
03-26-2014, 01:30 AM
I haven't said anything that isn't factual yet... so... uh... what's yer fukkin point? :p

that was my point - dont' take it personally. together we can bridge the o-board/netphoria gap.

slunken
03-26-2014, 01:31 AM
Someone already hire slunks for marketing. That's the best netphoria slogan in a while.

i'm looking to be headhunted but unfortunately web design also equals graphic design in these times.

pavementtune
03-26-2014, 01:36 AM
I know shit about the US job market. You mean two jobs became one so people who are good in web or graphic design end up doing both?

slunken
03-26-2014, 01:38 AM
Kumba YAAA muthafukka! :p

It appears there is no O-Board anymore... so, get used to me... unless i get bored or start to get misanthropic again.

there you go making it all about you again

slunken
03-26-2014, 01:39 AM
I know shit about the US job market. You mean two jobs became one so people who are good in web or graphic design end up doing both?

yea - people who are hired to build and maintain websites are also responsible for the graphic design of said websites. two entirely different things.

it's like expecting the guy who built your house to also paint it for you.

pavementtune
03-26-2014, 01:40 AM
Kumba YAAA muthafukka! :p

It appears there is no O-Board anymore... so, get used to me... unless i get bored or start to get misanthropic again.

Where did all the folks end up today? I guess you know a few/have contact outside the board through your music. Did they make a self-help fb group or something?

slunken
03-26-2014, 01:40 AM
sure some can do both but its never going to be as good as one or the other exclusively

slunken
03-26-2014, 01:49 AM
otherwise I'm snorting shit. :)

KK is addicted to drugs :jackyl:

slunken
03-26-2014, 01:54 AM
:jackyl: :jackyl:

Bremang
03-26-2014, 02:20 AM
who has the most SP knowledge on this board, top 5 posters

Araneae
03-26-2014, 06:58 AM
"palidrome" is spelled incorrectly unless he's trying to make it spell "palidrone" (which i doubt).

I just assumed that he did spell it wrong in his haste.

also, 3/4 of those song titles sound like every other scrapped song title from the past 5 years. i'm not going to agree with the others who say that this "update" should have included sound clips but it's difficult to get excited about a list of words on a piece of paper. its 2014. when's the adore reissue?

I just don't think it tells me much about the process at all. Seeing song titles or photographs of Jeff sitting in a studio doesn't reveal much to me. Granted, I don't always care to know the process because I don't always have that desire to go peeking behind the curtain, but this isn't very interesting. But my disinterest could also be because he has done this before, too, as you've mentioned.

For his Rocktopus, no doubt.

I completely forgot about that song. Makes sense now.

Cool As Ice Cream
03-26-2014, 07:15 AM
I'm just not sure who is really interested in this daily feature. As long as you can't listen to anything on that site, what are you going to do with a handwritten list of song titles?

the daily feature isn't just going to be handwritten lists of song titles. it is intended to be a bit of everything: "song titles, lyrics, poetic impressions, pictures, sound clips, studio gear and the like".
this could be good. but of course it can't be super interesting to everyone every day. some people care about studio gear, others don't. et cetera.
let's just see where this goes. it's not like any commitment is required here. you can check it out whenever you like. every day, once a month or never, it doesn't matter. i like that.

pavementtune
03-26-2014, 07:30 AM
Yes it all sounds good.
Maybe I'm just not able to believe he'll go through with everything that the nexus is intended to be. (Lucky 13 archive release project, anyone?)

Cool As Ice Cream
03-26-2014, 07:42 AM
i also have trouble believing this'll last very long. but as long as it's going, it could be good. and i don't think i'll be too disappointed if this suddenly stops.
i also survived the end of those confessions and the end of the sprc downloads.

T&T
03-26-2014, 08:13 AM
if he's got tons of demos, he should share them and interact with the public.
I'm sure of over 100 demos we could agree on the 10 best.
and since he's in the studio reworking things all the time, he should share his work in progress so we can seize the moment before he ruins the song. let him ruin by reworking it 13 times" it all he wants, we'll keep the 'step X' where it sounded best, since all revisions can be shared.

T&T
03-26-2014, 08:41 AM
go away.

Cool As Ice Cream
03-26-2014, 09:11 AM

lol you're joking right

T&T
03-26-2014, 09:19 AM
lets just go with my picks then.

Tuscaloosa
03-26-2014, 10:10 AM
this place and this obsession is a disease
it's deeply troublesome
and only affects my life poorly

T&T
03-26-2014, 10:39 AM
it was nice knowing you.

scottytheoneand
03-26-2014, 11:03 AM
It's difficult now to determine which is worse, the offical SP blog or the official blog that blogs the official SP blog.

With song titles such as”Freedom Rider”, “Not Another Daydream”, “No One Knows”, and “Demo”. Some appear to even possibly have dates.

Cool As Ice Cream
03-26-2014, 11:20 AM
SOME APPEAR TO EVEN POSSIBLY HAVE DATES!

i mean, shut the fuck up, scotty!

GLOWer
03-26-2014, 11:22 AM
and since he's in the studio reworking things all the time, he should share his work in progress so we can seize the moment before he ruins the song. let him ruin by reworking it 13 times" it all he wants, we'll keep the 'step X' where it sounded best, since all revisions can be shared.

fans would vote for the dumbest songs and not even realize it until years later. everyone's a critic but no one's developed any sense of understanding as to what makes a good song or a bad song.

so it'd a bunch of subjective garbage pickers throwing votes at their favorite stinkers. album ruined.

it would be way worse than billy choosing the best ones.

that said, yes, it would be nice to have a record of all of the demos so we could just personally construct our own best of playlists. but it would still be an unfinished ode to what could have been. a monument to an elegy, if you will. :smoke:

kingchris
03-26-2014, 12:24 PM

I am hoping since Billy actually has a professional producer working on the project that he will keep Billy from ruining the songs like he did with TBK.

T&T
03-26-2014, 12:28 PM
fans would vote for the dumbest songs

so it'll go as I planned.

GLOWer
03-26-2014, 01:00 PM
so it'll go as I planned.

boom, roasted.

Vriska Serket
03-26-2014, 01:14 PM
that picture is going to be my suicide note

pavementtune
03-26-2014, 08:22 PM
Day 2 of the new feature:

@SmashingPumpkin
New SP Nexus Post: INSIGHT INTO RPRO's MUSICAL MUSE @sstaria

https://twitter.com/SmashingPumpkin/status/448980301415718913

Corgan interviewing rpro staff in his teahouse:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=945kL-7rcZI

T&T
03-26-2014, 08:30 PM
glad the albums are moving forward!
sstaria must be his muse.
a sine?

T&T
03-26-2014, 08:34 PM
WTF is this interview?
they clearly have someone editing this, didn't they think to edit out the crappy stupid parts?

Araneae
03-26-2014, 08:35 PM
So this whole nexus thing really was just a tie-in ploy for his other crap.

pavementtune
03-26-2014, 08:38 PM
a sine?
A Hot Sinn

Araneae
03-27-2014, 12:48 AM
Backtracking, dumb inside jokes, and references to the past

Stars and Cougars

March 26, 2014

Today was interesting: as Jeff, Howard, and I went through the remaining tracks until we'd reached a consensus of what were the best songs/versions. And despite a few reports, we were not sorting through 150 songs but rather something more like 70-80 (which is still a lot). The number of 150 came from counting alternate versions, which in many cases are fairly different interpretations of a particular chord sequence/approach. So…

This culling got us down to 35 songs, which we considered strong enough for release, and then had another listen (this time in alphabetical order to separate ideas from the era they were documented in). Having a vote we ended up with 26 in the STAR category (an inside joke), and 9 in the COUGAR (an even more inside joke). So starting tomorrow we'll cut into a new round of demos, with an eye that everything from here on is essentially 'making' the record. This is very reminiscent of the way the SIamese, Mellon Collie, and Machina records were made; this kind of setting up demos as a way to discover sonic approaches while still writing/tweaking. Hence: 26 STAR demos in 10 days.

We'll be running fast.

-W.P.C.

Plus he posted about his wrestling reality show which is to debut on AMC. I still have a hard time believing there's an audience out there for that. They don't even sell out their own shows.

Ram27
03-27-2014, 12:55 AM
This is very reminiscent of the way the SIamese, Mellon Collie, and Machina records were made

Well yeah...besides the whole Chamberlin thing

Araneae
03-27-2014, 12:59 AM
Yeah, I love how he threw that in there.

Butt Pope
03-27-2014, 01:21 AM
Pee pee poo poo

slunken
03-27-2014, 01:24 AM
Cougar songs = love songs for soccer moms

amoergosum
03-27-2014, 01:31 AM
Corgan interviewing rpro staff in his teahouse:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=945kL-7rcZI

By the way...they're sitting on Walter E. Smithe chairs.

amoergosum
03-27-2014, 01:37 AM
LOL...so I just checked out the new website again >>>

http://static.wixstatic.com/media/e56f8f_028624f2309d4322843b0ca178c9a6a7.jpg_srz_p_ 452_699_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

VARIETY reports that AMC has a RESISTANCE PRO TV show in development; Billy Co-Producer

March 27, 2014

From Variety: “Untitled Billy Corgan Wrestling Project” Smashing Pumpkins lead singer Billy Corgan pulls back the curtains on the pro-wrestling world as he takes over creative direction for the independent wrestling company Resistance Pro. Produced by Left/Right, LLC; Executive Producers: Banks Tarver, Ken Druckerman, Billy Corgan and Ghen Maynard.

reprise85
03-27-2014, 08:52 AM
oh lord

Funbags
03-27-2014, 09:02 AM
BRAND SYNERGY.

T&T
03-27-2014, 09:12 AM
Originally Posted by Bill
This is very reminiscent of the way the SIamese, Mellon Collie, and Machina records were made
Well yeah...besides the whole Chamberlin thing

selecting songs from the demos was how those albums came to be. Adore was a mixed bag that included 'written this morning, recorded this afternoon/evening". and gish... it's the first record - they just put their best songs forward that they'd been working on for the last few years...

scottytheoneand
03-27-2014, 09:44 AM
:erm:

This culling got us down to 35 songs, which we considered strong enough for release, and then had another listen (this time in alphabetical order to separate ideas from the era they were documented in). Having a vote we ended up with 26 in the STAR category (an inside joke), and 9 in the COUGAR (an even more inside joke). So starting tomorrow we'll cut into a new round of demos, with an eye that everything from here on is essentially 'making' the record. This is very reminiscent of the way the SIamese, Mellon Collie, and Machina records were made; this kind of setting up demos as a way to discover sonic approaches while still writing/tweaking.

Is billy picking through old SP demos to come up with a track list for the new albums? :think:

Unless the band recorded demos last year before their last tour, the only demos bill would have would be his own personal recordings or old archive material... which he's been digging through for the past 3 years for the rereleases. since he mentioned multiple arrangements I'm assuming that means the demos they're sorting through ******* full instrumentation and band. either he's digging through more of the TBK material or he's pulling out tracks that were written with Jimmy.

slunken
03-27-2014, 09:48 AM
:erm:

Is billy picking through old SP demos to come up with a track list for the new albums? :think:

Unless the band recorded demos last year before their last tour, the only demos bill would have would be his own personal recordings or old archive material... which he's been digging through for the past 3 years for the rereleases.

these demos have been recorded during the past 2 years. don't be thick.

scottytheoneand
03-27-2014, 09:50 AM
these demos have been recorded during the past 2 years. don't be thick.

why would he refer to the "era" they were recorded? just an odd word choice?

slunken
03-27-2014, 09:52 AM
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb14/slunken_2007/SP%20LOL/what_zpsd3d00359.jpg (http://s207.photobucket.com/user/slunken_2007/media/SP%20LOL/what_zpsd3d00359.jpg.html)http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb14/slunken_2007/SP%20LOL/what_zpsd3d00359.jpg (http://s207.photobucket.com/user/slunken_2007/media/SP%20LOL/what_zpsd3d00359.jpg.html)http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb14/slunken_2007/SP%20LOL/what_zpsd3d00359.jpg (http://s207.photobucket.com/user/slunken_2007/media/SP%20LOL/what_zpsd3d00359.jpg.html)
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb14/slunken_2007/SP%20LOL/what_zpsd3d00359.jpg (http://s207.photobucket.com/user/slunken_2007/media/SP%20LOL/what_zpsd3d00359.jpg.html)http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb14/slunken_2007/SP%20LOL/what_zpsd3d00359.jpg (http://s207.photobucket.com/user/slunken_2007/media/SP%20LOL/what_zpsd3d00359.jpg.html)http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb14/slunken_2007/SP%20LOL/what_zpsd3d00359.jpg (http://s207.photobucket.com/user/slunken_2007/media/SP%20LOL/what_zpsd3d00359.jpg.html)

slunken
03-27-2014, 09:55 AM
DONT TREAD

T&T
03-27-2014, 10:34 AM
For billy eras last only few weeks.

we just had the Modular Synth in the Teashop era. now it's Nexus era. next month it'll be something new! stay tuned for the next big announcement!

slunken
03-27-2014, 10:47 AM
For billy eras last only few weeks.

!

Seriously

themadcaplaughs
03-27-2014, 08:09 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIOacxWLsnY

Funbags
03-27-2014, 08:21 PM
I thought this Nexus/Panopticon/Whatever site was going to be about the recording sessions...

...and within a few days, it's about fucking wrestling.

amoergosum
03-28-2014, 01:22 AM
I thought this Nexus/Panopticon/Whatever site was going to be about the recording sessions...

The next step of Billy's cross-promotion >>>

http://resources1.news.com.au/images/2011/11/25/1226205/600181-billy-corgan.jpg

Source:
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/celebrity/smashing-pumpkins-frontman-billy-corgan-starts-own-wrestling-league/story-e6frf96o-1226205744306

Shallowed
03-28-2014, 02:07 AM

I'm totally reassured that this project will stay on track and not be abandoned or take a completely different trajectory.

Woody
03-28-2014, 03:04 AM
You look at other bands Facebook pages, like Blur who are from the same era, and the page is regularly updated with archive photos/interviews/live footage, news on solo projects of all past members.

Then you look at Smashing Pumpkins and it's Corgan trying to cross-promote tea and wrestling.

They barely promoted MCIS/TAFH on social media at all, as is evident by the recent post they made about TAFH which had dozens of comments from fans who didn't even realise it existed.

Of all the choices open to him Corgan he continues to stubbornly repeat past mistakes - announcing an overly ambitious project, trying to go "epic" and grandiose in a desperate bid to recreate SD and MCIS success. Meanwhile it takes him years to announce and put out an album when similar artists can put out an album a year. We know from the Zwan archives and Chicago songs he's a prolific songwriter that for some inexplicable reason is sitting on some of his best material whilst crying that nobody likes his latest band incarnation, or contrived comeback album. Begrudging the fanbase and forcing tea and wrestling on them. He's turned into a failed businessman following his own tail to the bottom.

Sadly, the best scenario would be for him to stop writing/releasing new music at this point and focus on his own businesses away from SP.

amoergosum
03-28-2014, 03:19 AM
I'm wondering if he actually killed the O-board or if it's just a temporary thing in order
to force his fans to view the album/wrestling news on the new website.

scottytheoneand
03-28-2014, 11:45 AM
here we go again

http://www.smashingpumpkinsnexus.com/#!WPC-at-ZuZus330-for-Sunday-With-Rumi-/c7ba/7C632560-FBA4-441B-826B-D24028DA62AA

Billy Corgan has announced another concert for March 30th at 1 PM: 'Sunday With Rumi,' which promises 4 sonic impressions on poems by the great Sufi mystic. For admission there is no fee, but with limited seating at Zuzu's (and interest is expected) they've announced a new way to reserve a handful of spots.

Email: reservations@madamezuzus.com for more information.

T&T
03-28-2014, 12:05 PM
So the synth/litterature era lives on!

juliana
03-28-2014, 12:10 PM
Billy leaves his best songs off his own stupid albums.

scottytheoneand
03-28-2014, 12:14 PM
the best album billy ever made isn't getting released because of horrible fans.

Ram27
03-28-2014, 02:27 PM
(and interest is expected)

RenewRevive
03-28-2014, 03:32 PM
the best album billy ever made isn't getting released because of horrible fans.

what album are you on about Scotty?

Trotskilicious
03-28-2014, 03:43 PM
no no, renew revive it goes like this:

"shut the fuck up, scotty"

scottytheoneand
03-28-2014, 04:30 PM
LOL

pavementtune
03-28-2014, 06:08 PM
Personally I don't care for the wrestling stuff.
But after my first reaction to the new site (wawawahboo that's not "Smashing Pumpkins" - ugly design wawawah) I'm starting to like it. The old site had nothing.

I enjoy to have a look at a production diary, pics of guitars and songlist, and now with more specific notes for songs like Cardinal Rule, I'm getting interested to actually listen to them in the future.
If he'll start to make similar entries about the Adore and Machina reissues, there's not much else I could ask for.

Shallowed
03-28-2014, 06:19 PM
First thing I thought was how similar it was to Netphoria's colour scheme. It's a bit like if SP.com Teargarden era and Netphoria had a baby.

Does Netphoria's colour scheme have anything to do with the eternal Adore banner, or does/did Andrew just like it black?

juliana
03-28-2014, 06:47 PM
Billy probably read something about content creation being what rules social media etc. Also, Monte has probably flaunted his visits numbers and Billy wants that for the SP site.

More over his gf can run it for free using wix.

juliana
03-28-2014, 06:48 PM
I don't know why they didn't use tumblr. Basically that's what the site is.

pavementtune
03-28-2014, 08:08 PM
To run multimedia content for 3 or more projects (his music, Zuzu's, RPro) on tumblr would be a poor choice.

Also I wasn't aware that RollingStone, NME & Co feature tumblr posts.

juliana
03-28-2014, 08:59 PM
Why would it be a poor choice? It is a pretty simple content management system. It can be www.smashingpumpkinsnexus.com and work just like this website without glitchy shit that this wix builder does. He also could have used wordpress or another builder that is better than wix like squarespace.com. He just didn't see it on a commercial.

Moreover, tumblr is what you make of it. Just like wordpress.

juliana
03-28-2014, 09:03 PM
Oh and pave, by the way. Maybe read this. http://socialfresh.com/60-brands-using-tumblr/

TuralyonW3
03-28-2014, 11:50 PM
Update alert sp fans!!!

TuralyonW3
03-28-2014, 11:50 PM
TODDLE-LOO! EPICER!!!

amoergosum
03-29-2014, 03:12 AM
"Then it was off to TOODLE-LOO, which I’d classify as a rocker in the straightest sense. So rather than reinvent the wheel (as I’ve tried in vain oh so many times!) we focused on just getting the song heavier, bolder, and more epic-er. Biff-Bam-Vroom!"

"Having lots of fun and good times with my mates, where the laughter is free."

slunken
03-29-2014, 03:20 AM
"Then it was off to TOODLE-LOO, which I’d classify as a rocker in the straightest sense. So rather than reinvent the wheel (as I’ve tried in vain oh so many times!) we focused on just getting the song heavier, bolder, and more epic-er. Biff-Bam-Vroom!"

T&T
03-29-2014, 07:47 AM

amoergosum
03-29-2014, 08:05 AM

RenewRevive
03-29-2014, 08:50 AM
ah, my bad. FUCK OFF SCOTTY!

biff-bam. so Byrne IS playing on the record after all.

Ram27
03-29-2014, 09:24 AM
I liked the other Dizzle better.

Having lots of fun and good times with my mates, where the laughter is free.

http://31.media.tumblr.com/RaAhBBk4Thuxn7r3vQtjoiXeo1_500.png

Funbags
03-29-2014, 10:24 AM
Who announces album names before they've even decided on the songs, or finished writing them?

Ram27
03-29-2014, 10:32 AM
CHICAGO TRIBUNE

ROLLING STONE

CRESTFALLEN

reprise85
03-29-2014, 11:56 AM
Hasn't he done that with basically all the albums though (the names thing)

Araneae
03-29-2014, 12:01 PM
Hasn't he done that with basically all the albums though (the names thing)

Probably. He had the Oceania name before it was completed, too. I wouldn't be surprised if he had the Machina/The Machines of God title beforehand and built his concept around it.

scottytheoneand
03-29-2014, 05:57 PM
Its called a "concept album"

absof
03-29-2014, 06:56 PM
So the font has been updated on SP.com

slunken
03-29-2014, 06:58 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

slunken
03-29-2014, 07:01 PM
that's some serious graphic design right there, browsing dafont.com

slunken
03-29-2014, 07:01 PM
why would i hire a graphic designer when i can get millions of fonts for free?

slunken
03-29-2014, 07:04 PM
protip: i mean at least change the sub-heading to be different (legible) from the main title headline ffs

slunken
03-29-2014, 07:07 PM
protip: most headline faces only work at a certain point size. in this case using the same font for "the official smashing pumpkins nexus" simply does not work. what a mess.

juliana
03-29-2014, 07:12 PM
Part of me wants to just make a new banner and send it to them. I know they won't use it but, ya.

slunken
03-29-2014, 07:14 PM
FOUND IT: http://www.dafont.com/odalisque.font?text=THE+PANOPTICON

slunken
03-29-2014, 07:14 PM
Part of me wants to just make a new banner and send it to them. I know they won't use it but, ya.

I thought about that last week but I just figured they would rip it off

scottytheoneand
03-29-2014, 07:15 PM
By they you mean either Monte or Yoko Ono

slunken
took 5 minutes to find that. so at $20 an hour I figure they saved themselves a ton of money.

slunken
By they you mean either Monte or Yoko Ono

yup

slunken
03-29-2014, 07:16 PM
and stop calling her Yoko.

scottytheoneand
03-29-2014, 07:17 PM
What's her name

slunken
03-29-2014, 07:18 PM
the problem with using free font sites like dafont is that the fonts usually don't offer complex ligatures which would make your type design look a lot better especially if you don't have the knowledge of how or why to adjust that stuff by hand

scottytheoneand
03-29-2014, 07:19 PM
Seriously tho we all know that What bill really wants is James

slunken
What's her name

Whose name?

juliana
I thought about that last week but I just figured they would rip it off

I really mean just send them the jpg. Like "take this and shut up" sorta thing. They upload it the the end.

juliana
03-29-2014, 07:21 PM
the problem with using free font sites like dafont is that the fonts usually don't offer complex ligatures which would make your type design look a lot better especially if you don't have the knowledge of how or why to adjust that stuff by hand

I don't know why he doesn't use his f-ing handwriting and then just reverse it so it is on black. I mean the perfect sp font is corgan hand.

juliana
03-29-2014, 07:22 PM
What's her name

Her name is chloe, manager at zuzus.

slunken
03-29-2014, 07:22 PM
I really mean just send them the jpg. Like "take this and shut up" sorta thing. They upload it the the end.

well clearly they have it under control now that someone told them about the secret premium graphic design resource of dafont

slunken
03-29-2014, 07:23 PM
I don't know why he doesn't use his f-ing handwriting and then just reverse it so it is on black. I mean the perfect sp font is corgan hand.

monte probably doesn't have a scanner

juliana
03-29-2014, 07:25 PM
Lols!

juliana
03-29-2014, 07:28 PM
Maybe I will use the fonts I use for my portfolio. Lmao!

slunken
03-29-2014, 07:35 PM
I just tweeted asking if they're hiring designers

juliana
03-29-2014, 07:36 PM
Nice

juliana
03-29-2014, 07:37 PM
They won't want to pay more than $20 an hour but you should be charging more depending on your experience.

Ram27
03-29-2014, 07:38 PM
Besides the font, the spacing is kinda fucked up too.

This is more entertaining than the actual news

juliana
03-29-2014, 07:40 PM
Everything is jacked up. So much wrong. It drives me crazy.

slunken
03-29-2014, 07:41 PM
Besides the font, the spacing is kinda fucked up too.

This is more entertaining than the actual news

Its because free fonts don't contain ligatures and I don't think MS Word lets you kern.

juliana
03-29-2014, 07:44 PM
It does actually. But not well. I know it powerpoint you can. But it sucks.

slunken
03-29-2014, 07:44 PM
At least they had the foresight to use a totally free font, part of me was expecting to see it listed only as "free for personal use"

slunken
03-29-2014, 07:47 PM
It does actually. But not well. I know it powerpoint you can. But it sucks.

I guess it would, at least now. It's been over a decade since I tried to "design" something using a word processing program.

Ram27
03-29-2014, 07:48 PM
This took me 4 minutes 37 seconds

http://i.imgur.com/jPp6rOR.png

slunken
03-29-2014, 07:51 PM
FOUND IT: http://www.dafont.com/odalisque.font?text=THE+PANOPTICON

i use 10ppp so I think this got buried at the bottom of a page

juliana
03-29-2014, 07:56 PM
Font is so awful.

juliana
03-29-2014, 08:20 PM
I sent my version via twitter
I didn't really spend much time kerning. I used my portfolio fonts. lol.

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/983x311q90/69/v9il.jpg

juliana
03-29-2014, 08:24 PM
ugh oh major kerning issues. o and p etc. meh.

had to fix it a bit. I used the wrong p.... so sad.

Trotskilicious
03-29-2014, 08:30 PM
i like the use of ALLCAPS sans serif in conjunction with a hilarious over serifed main font, but yeah...i don't like that big font at all

Trotskilicious
03-29-2014, 08:31 PM
also the S in NEXUS should align with the serif in the N of PANOPTICON

juliana
03-29-2014, 08:35 PM
I like that it doesn't align, the "the" doesn't align to the beginning.

I love the font, I actually found it by taking a quiz by pentagram design, which font are you.

I also like it with the word panopticon because of the circles, punny.

slunken
03-29-2014, 09:11 PM
Juliana that swooping "a" descender is awfully willy wonka-ish

But it's a million times better overall than what they're using. Odalisque wouldn't look so horrible if the rest of it was appropriately designed.

juliana
03-29-2014, 09:26 PM
I now think I should move the "the" in more

juliana
03-29-2014, 09:37 PM

But it's a million times better overall than what they're using. Odalisque wouldn't look so horrible if the rest of it was appropriately designed.

Ya it is lmao! Billy is sorta willy wonka-ish though. But there is a normal a in the set too. I just used the swashes because of the current font they have.

This font looks good in lowercase too. I will make one in a minute.

juliana
03-29-2014, 09:37 PM

Ya it is lmao! Billy is sorta willy wonka-ish though. But there is a normal a in the set too. I just used the swashes because of the current font they have.

This font looks good in lowercase too. I will make one in a minute.

juliana
03-29-2014, 09:50 PM
http://imageshack.com/a/img809/71/0u66.jpg

I didn't do any kerning but I think this sorta looks like a newspaper.

Trotskilicious
03-29-2014, 10:30 PM
that thing he's wearing is retarded but i do think it's interesting that the official site of "the smashing pumpkins" has one picture of bill, and a picture of his cat

is the cat in the band?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/tefgnX5GRig?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Whisker patrol whisker patrol, cat scratch fever is the way we roll

juliana
03-29-2014, 10:43 PM
That cat can do better.

slunken
03-29-2014, 11:04 PM
Let's not forget that the twitter account is @smashingpumpkin - singular

Edit - at trots regarding the solo picture of bill

juliana
03-29-2014, 11:04 PM
It has to be

juliana
03-30-2014, 12:30 AM
Eloquent is a much-requested digital revival of an old Didone style [meaning in the style of Bodoni and Didot] photo-typepositing face. This new digital version evokes late 1960s magazine advertising, and includes the rarely seen swash variant, and features several newly created alternate swash caps (A, J, Q, Z, M, K,R) and one new alternate lowercase swash (s) and several lowercase ligatures. The font contains both lining figures and old style figures. This is a really handsome version of this classic font.

The classic font which it’s based on is Pistilli Roman.

slunken
03-30-2014, 12:34 AM
I fucking love Bodoni

Ram27
03-30-2014, 12:57 AM
I was able to turn the busy-body riff into a shoegazer wash which when laced with big, simpler guitars feels fatal.

Awh yeah.

If this album was a book it would sound good

juliana
03-30-2014, 01:09 AM
THE HUNTED’ (?), which has the distinction of being so catchy from the first you almost don’t know what to do with it. So Howard name checked some band I won’t mention and said how they’d had a hit where the bass carries the song forward (the guitars as such being held back). This prompted a running of the bass line (WALDORF) into a FOX-FUZZ, which sounded great; the song untouched and dosed with guitars at the appropriate moment

He better keep this on the album.

slunken
03-30-2014, 01:18 AM
He won't we all know this

juliana
03-30-2014, 01:20 AM
I know. It sounds too good. He will some how destroy it!

slunken
03-30-2014, 01:21 AM
The songs talked about to songs on the final album ratio is always something like 15:1

juliana
03-30-2014, 01:24 AM
I like his dig at devi ever.

This prompted Jeff to say that perhaps we should get a company to clone the exact pedal. I agree! (Because none that have ever tried in my estimation have come close. An opinion).

slunken
03-30-2014, 01:24 AM
Cool that the basslines are synth

juliana
03-30-2014, 01:26 AM
Not really but it is something bass focused so.

slunken
03-30-2014, 01:34 AM
THE HUNTED’ (?), which has the distinction of being so catchy from the first you almost don’t know what to do with it. So Howard name checked some band I won’t mention and said how they’d had a hit where the bass carries the song forward (the guitars as such being held back). This prompted a running of the bass line (WALDORF) into a FOX-FUZZ, which sounded great; the song untouched and dosed with guitars at the appropriate moment

Its almost sad reading stuff like this because we've read things like this before and it's easy to get kind of pumped reading the description but history has shown us that it's very easy for the song to get completely watered down, neutered, and eventually dropped sometime between now and the next 20 months.

Point being, whatever the songs sound like now is in no way a reflection of what the final album will sound like.

Also @juliana, my comment about the synths is the fact that he is using them to write basslines. That is the what, imo, he has always been best at with that equipment. Given his recent tech-gear-expositions, I would be pleased if the basslines were from a synth as opposed to a bass guitar.

slunken
03-30-2014, 01:38 AM
It's 230 in the morning and I'm drinking wine but, looking at the Panopticon page with that picture of him wearing the cape, thinking about synth basslines and epic guitars makes me happy. Couple that with the "Monuments for an Elegy" title and I'm imagining him working on what Adore could have been: Billy's darkwave album.

edit: or even TFE meets Adore for a more casual comparison (living in the pass).

juliana
03-30-2014, 01:40 AM
I just wish Billy would find oportunities in the bass guitar and write some outstanding riffs that no one is doing. I wish he would write some lead bass songs too. I think he would have to push himself to do that. He did that with piano on adore.

I agree that reading this shit means nothing, heard it all before.

juliana
03-30-2014, 01:42 AM
Unless you've heard it, he's not providing enough to say it sounds too good. It's too early to speculate. Wait until snippets of songs come around. It's still possible he could say fuck it, no bits of audio just to piss people off)
I want to hear this synthy bass line.

A song that is bass focused to me is what I am excited about.

slunken
03-30-2014, 01:53 AM
Billy can teach you synth on his toy, but best bet would be a professional

:confused:

juliana
03-30-2014, 01:54 AM
Actually very early SP relied a lot on bass. billy was more into it and d'arcy was more invested. After gish it became more and more just root stuff.

There was some good rhythm stuff prior.

Ram27
03-30-2014, 01:59 AM
Actually very early SP relied a lot on bass. billy was more into it and d'arcy was more invested. After gish it became more and more just root stuff.

There was some good rhythm stuff prior.

Jackboot had some pretty kickin bass riffs

juliana
03-30-2014, 02:11 AM
It just sounds like a guitar player on bass.

juliana
03-30-2014, 02:24 AM
One gross thing is widow wake my mind had a good bassline. This hipster plays it really well. http://youtu.be/rzJoxP0J2vs

Also, glisandra is a shit somg with some cool bass.

Trotskilicious
03-30-2014, 02:26 AM

this is true

she's really limited though

juliana
03-30-2014, 02:45 AM
The sad thing about d'arcy is in the beginning you can see how unconfident she is. She isn't bad. Just junior and when she becomes confident she then is heavily addicted to drugs and it fucked with her playing. But I still think she sounded the best and fit the best.

Love her here http://youtu.be/xcoS9JnClLc

panda show
03-30-2014, 05:02 AM
to be honest, I think a major part in d'arcy's playing was the fact that she never actually played guitar.. she was a classicaly trained violin player and she just switched to bass because it was easy to learn and it was easier for her to get in a band as a bassist (as opposed to being a guitarist or a singer). I think that's what limited her technique, although most pumpkins songs weren't so hard that she couldn't play them. from what I've read, billy's biggest problem with d'arcy was that she'd often forget her parts during practice, or she'd play out of sync.. but I guess that had to do with her being incofident in the first 3-4 years of playing..

a pretty good example of that is this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CURoJ26gHpI

Araneae
03-30-2014, 08:59 AM
Awh yeah.

If this album was a book it would sound good

Exactly. It reads like it should be interesting but I think I would have felt the same if Billy was describing the making of the Oceania songs. I have the same problem with some music reviews when they describe songs.

Remember, when they ask for your occupation on a visa form, write: ARTIST. Not: NOT-ARTIST.

I wonder if Billy subscribes to the notion that everyone is an artist.

Funbags
03-30-2014, 09:40 AM
I wonder if Billy subscribes to the notion that everyone is an artist.

I'm pretty sure he's literally said:

"Some people are born to dig ditches. Some people are born to be rock stars".

Araneae
03-30-2014, 10:07 AM
I'm curious to hear what his definition of it would be. Robert Smith of The Cure lists his occupation as "Musician" on his and I can't distinguish what could possibly make Billy more of an artist than Robert Smith is. Opening up a tea shop and playing with synths set to poems doesn't elevate anyone to the realm of being an "artist."

It's obvious that Billy really wants people to remember him as a great artist above all else, and I suppose the first step in enforcing the idea is for him to keep talking about it.

juliana
03-30-2014, 10:27 AM
to be honest, I think a major part in d'arcy's playing was the fact that she never actually played guitar.. she was a classicaly trained violin player and she just switched to bass because it was easy to learn and it was easier for her to get in a band as a bassist (as opposed to being a guitarist or a singer). I think that's what limited her technique, although most pumpkins songs weren't so hard that she couldn't play them. from what I've read, billy's biggest problem with d'arcy was that she'd often forget her parts during practice, or she'd play out of sync.. but I guess that had to do with her being incofident in the first 3-4 years of playing..

a pretty good example of that is this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CURoJ26gHpI

D'arcy just never practiced. She never wanted to be a super bass player. However, she used more than one technique when playing. She played with heart but never cared enough. It was mostly her confidence that held her back.

Q: The last person who really inspired you?

A: The girl who’s playing bass for David Bowie right now is amazing. She’s so proficient, but she’s not this cold, studio technical person. She has so much soul and she can sing like a motherfucker. When she plays, she and her bass guitar are like, one thing. So many times I feel completely stagnated but the bass and mostly I just wanted to sing when I was younger. Regular guitar intimidated me. This woman is so amazing, but I still don’t know if I feel inspired enough to practice. I don’t think I’ll ever be like her. And I don’t think I’ll ever sing much with Smashing Pumpkins. I was really pissed off actually, cos I spent 24 hours getting the back-up vocals for the album to match Billy’s perfectly, and they were cut. I feel like I’m being used sometimes. Like an enhancement for his voice or something. And it really pisses me off.

Source: http://bystarlight.org/interviews/darcy-wretzky-interview-kerrang-magazine-1996/

A bass is a guitar with four strings, most of the time. Knowing guitar helps you understand what your pals are playing but it doesn't make you a better bass player at all. In fact it could hinder you from actually producing good basslines. Corgan is so guilty of it. Also, Corgan made a lot of mistakes too, but he wrote the songs. He could recover. He also has a well trained ear. Have you seen the basement jams vid where he screws up again and again and he just laughs. Really shitty to hang your bandmate out to dry in front of an audience. Wouldn't be surprised if he never taught her the song.

Many people start on guitar then move to bass because guitar is just common. This is for many reasons.

juliana
03-30-2014, 10:27 AM
Double post.

GLOWer
03-30-2014, 05:13 PM
i'm enjoying these updates. don't care if they lead to nothing or the album is a bummer. it's fun to check out when i remember. in text, the album is sounding cool.

also excited that billy is seemingly entering another adore / futureembrace phase.

themadcaplaughs
03-30-2014, 06:46 PM
So he's composing/playing bass on these songs (at least in this stage)? I guess that's a pretty big sign that Nicole is no longer part of the group. One of his big bragging point for those last two Teargarden songs and Oceania was that Nicole was actively working with the band and bringing in bass parts.

GLOWer
03-30-2014, 10:25 PM
drum machines and billy bass. i'm down.

RenewRevive
03-31-2014, 02:32 AM
So he's composing/playing bass on these songs (at least in this stage)? I guess that's a pretty big sign that Nicole is no longer part of the group. One of his big bragging point for those last two Teargarden songs and Oceania was that Nicole was actively working with the band and bringing in bass parts.

yeah, she added a lot to the Oceania songs, apparently. not enough for billy to cut her a cheque this time around however.

Shallowed
03-31-2014, 02:57 AM
A bass is a guitar with four strings, most of the time. Knowing guitar helps you understand what your pals are playing but it doesn't make you a better bass player at all.

If you fuck up on guitar, it's not nearly as noticeable as when you fuck up on bass. A mistake on bass sticks out like a sore thumb, but a mistake on guitar can be easily covered up or passed off as intentional.

RenewRevive
03-31-2014, 03:04 AM
there's hope for me yet then :)

juliana
03-31-2014, 03:08 AM
Um duh, but how does being a guitar player make her less prone to fuck ups?

How about most likely he taught them the song like five mins before the show or something and considering billy is strumming the same three chords or whatever the whole time it isn't very hard for him. But not easy for D to remember all the individual notes and rhythm IF she is not skilled at improvisation and targeting chords. He couldn't tell in rehearsal she didn't know the song?

Cool As Ice Cream
03-31-2014, 03:10 AM
http://i57.tinypic.com/mwpops.jpg Introducing Monday & Thursday OVERVIEW
With the Smashing Pumpkins Nexus, providing daily updates here at Crestfallen we have chosen to do bi-weekly overviews of the Smashing Pumpkins work. Each Monday & Thursday morning we will post an overview of what has happened in Pumpkinland in the past few days. Monday will cover post made Thursday night – Sunday night, while Thursday will cover Monday night – Wednesday night posts. If the Nexus site does release audio or video clips in their post, we will make sure to post about those right away.

The overviews will start this Thursday. We do encourage you to check the Smashing Pumpkins new site if you wish to keep up on the daily studio developments. We will continue to provided you with all the best news we can find and provide.

-Crestfallen.com
NEWSFLASH: monty throws in the towel

Cool As Ice Cream
03-31-2014, 03:12 AM
that's a nice comma, there in that first sentence. it really helps. (not sure if it can be called a sentence though. it probably can't.)
also, biweekly is confusing. it normally means every other week, rather than twice a week, doesn't it?

Shallowed
03-31-2014, 03:18 AM

How about most likely he taught them the song like five mins before the show or something and considering billy is strumming the same three chords or whatever the whole time it isn't very hard for him. But not easy for D to remember all the individual notes and rhythm IF she is not skilled at improvisation and targeting chords. He couldn't tell in rehearsal she didn't know the song?

I think we're kind of making the same point? I'm not sure.

amoergosum
03-31-2014, 03:20 AM
that's a nice comma, there in that first sentence. it really helps. (not sure if it can be called a sentence though. it probably can't.)
also, biweekly is confusing. it normally means every other week, rather than twice a week, doesn't it?

>>>

biweekly (baɪˈwiːklɪ)
adj, adv
1. every two weeks
2. (often avoided because of confusion with sense 1) twice a week; semiweekly. See bi-1
n, pl -lies
3. (Journalism & Publishing) a periodical published every two weeks

Source:
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/biweekly

juliana
03-31-2014, 03:26 AM
I think we're kind of making the same point? I'm not sure.

Wasn't your original point that she needed to learn guitar?
Or was that another person?

juliana
03-31-2014, 03:26 AM
Blah

juliana
03-31-2014, 03:33 AM
Ya'll know billy could have easily replaced d'arcy early on when he met melissa, she wanted to be in the band, it was her fave. But he didn't replace D.

Cool As Ice Cream
03-31-2014, 03:35 AM
ya'll y'all
ya'lliana
blah indeed

juliana
03-31-2014, 03:37 AM
Blah replace a double post and lolol ya'lliana.

RenewRevive
03-31-2014, 03:41 AM

come on, lay off the guy for once, it's not as if he's a native english speaker, right?

juliana
03-31-2014, 03:43 AM
Would you tell a munk to lay off the buddhism?

Cool As Ice Cream
03-31-2014, 04:23 AM
if you're not a real fan, then why are you even here? this is a messageboard about monty. we don't need your kind here.

Trotskilicious
03-31-2014, 04:30 AM
this is a local shop for local people, we'll have no trouble here

RenewRevive
03-31-2014, 04:37 AM
move along now!

T&T
03-31-2014, 04:49 AM
the confusion comes up because bi-monthly means almost the same thing.
Bi-weekly means every two weeks (every 14 days)
Bi-monthly means twice a month (24 times a year)

Funbags
03-31-2014, 05:42 AM
Billy sounds like Shia LeBeouf.

Shallowed
03-31-2014, 06:26 AM
Wasn't your original point that she needed to learn guitar?
Or was that another person?

That was someone else.

All I was saying was that a mess up on bass sounds a lot worse than a mess up on guitar. Billy and even James are obviously a lot more skilled as musicians than D'arcy but she was handicapped even further by playing bass.

Cool As Ice Cream
03-31-2014, 06:32 AM
and by her lips.

Cool As Ice Cream
03-31-2014, 06:33 AM
http://i62.tinypic.com/111l5p3.jpg

juliana
03-31-2014, 08:37 AM
That was someone else.

All I was saying was that a mess up on bass sounds a lot worse than a mess up on guitar. Billy and even James are obviously a lot more skilled as musicians than D'arcy but she was handicapped even further by playing bass.

Um wouldn't use handicapped. She didn't fuck up every somg and she got better as time went on. She was just amateur then.

scottytheoneand
03-31-2014, 08:59 AM
I always thought (based on what billy and other band members have said over the years) that SP rehearsed/practiced a lot and it's been for a long time something that billy and whatever line-up he's used have always prided themselves on. That being the case I find it obsurd to think that D'arcy "didn't practice" her bass. And since she did have prior musical training, I would find it difficult to believe that she was somehow ignorant or lost while jamming with the band. Occasionally on drugs... yeah, maybe.

I think this is revisionist SP history on billy's part, and something that people have simply bought into since billy has spent the last 15 years badmouthing D'arcy and James. It's like billy saying James couldn't play many of the guitar parts on their songs. But just go watch a few achived concerts and there's James playing guitar!

Ram27
03-31-2014, 09:04 AM

Chamberlin seemed to be doing a fine job remembering all the rhythm. Iha didn't mess up either (and there have been other documented instances of him playing really wrong notes).

I don't know what point I'm making

Ram27
03-31-2014, 09:07 AM
I always thought (based on what billy and other band members have said over the years) that SP rehearsed/practiced a lot and it's been for a long time something that billy and whatever line-up he's used have always prided themselves on. That being the case I find it obsurd to think that D'arcy "didn't practice" her bass. And since she did have prior musical training, I would find it difficult to believe that she was somehow ignorant or lost while jamming with the band. Occasionally on drugs... yeah, maybe.

I think this is revisionist SP history on billy's part, and something that people have simply bought into since billy has spent the last 15 years badmouthing D'arcy and James. It's like billy saying James couldn't play many of the guitar parts on their songs. But just go watch a few achived concerts and there's James playing guitar!

Yeah it bothers me how people have such a low opinion of the other guitarists just because of what Billy said. He's a known asshole. Those Arising shows, those Silverfuck jams, those songs aren't a product of a band where only half the people know what they're doing.

juliana
03-31-2014, 09:31 AM
Chamberlin seemed to be doing a fine job remembering all the rhythm. Iha didn't mess up either (and there have been other documented instances of him playing really wrong notes).

I don't know what point I'm making

Jimmy is in a different league than the other pumpkins there. He also wrote the part he is playing, he keeps the rhythm.

Iha just needs to know 3-4 chords and strum along. He can also easily solo on top and obviously knows some theory at that point.

Billy reminds the audience that he isn't confidenent they will get it right.

D'arcy is playing a predefined part, but doesn't have the nusic theory background to understand how to wing it and play some passing notes plus root.

scottytheoneand
03-31-2014, 09:59 AM
Yeah it bothers me how people have such a low opinion of the other guitarists just because of what Billy said. He's a known asshole. Those Arising shows, those Silverfuck jams, those songs aren't a product of a band where only half the people know what they're doing.

^^

this

scottytheoneand
03-31-2014, 10:00 AM
Jimmy is in a different league than the other pumpkins there. He also wrote the part he is playing, he keeps the rhythm.

Iha just needs to know 3-4 chords and strum along. He can also easily solo on top and obviously knows some theory at that point.

D'arcy is playing a predefined part, but doesn't have the nusic theory background to understand how to wing it and play some passing notes plus root.

:noway:

HereIsNoWhy4U
03-31-2014, 10:11 AM

I've seen some footage of James messing up, but most of the time he's on track with switching between lead and rhythm. SP1 rarely based songs around 3-4 chords, even if they could simplify some of them if they wanted to.

juliana
03-31-2014, 10:18 AM
Maybe you just don't know what I am talking about because you don't play, don't know music theory?

juliana
03-31-2014, 10:33 AM
I've seen some footage of James messing up, but most of the time he's on track with switching between lead and rhythm. SP1 rarely based songs around 3-4 chords, even if they could simplify some of them if they wanted to.

You think that SP chord progressions were way more complex than that? why because they played 5 or 6 chords sometimes?

scottytheoneand
03-31-2014, 10:50 AM
Maybe you just don't know what I am talking about because you don't play, don't know music theory?

I played bass for years. I used to write songs as well. I would never claim to have been very good at it. But I know enough to see/hear that D'arcy was a competent player. She's no Bootsy Collins, but she knew her instrument and was able to keep up with Jimmy just fine.

juliana
03-31-2014, 11:01 AM
I played bass for years. I used to write songs as well. I would never claim to have been very good at it. But I know enough to see/hear that D'arcy was a competent player. She's no Bootsy Collins, but she knew her instrument and was able to keep up with Jimmy just fine.

Um, my whole point is that she was probably not prepared. Not that she was incapable. Also, it would take her more to prepare for that than a guitar player and that corgan himself warned the audience that could screw it up because of their inexperience with the song.

She was not very confident in the beginning and had stage fright. She got better and better over time. She just wasn't some pro bassist that could just sit there and improvise.

scottytheoneand
03-31-2014, 11:04 AM
funny how the band's best music, tours and live shows all included D'arcy

since she wasn't "some pro bassist"

juliana
03-31-2014, 11:08 AM
She said so herself.

Also, playing perfectly or having the most technical ability doesn't mean the music is better.

scottytheoneand
03-31-2014, 11:11 AM
I didn't say it would

scottytheoneand
03-31-2014, 11:11 AM
Also, D'arcy is not ammused

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/t1.0-9/p403x403/1982306_422277344583893_43398517_n.jpg

Cool As Ice Cream
03-31-2014, 11:17 AM
that could be anyone.