View Full Version : James on Piano

The Omega Concern
01-11-2014, 03:02 AM
hmmmmm...

The Omega Concern
01-11-2014, 03:02 AM
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/BF4fQyKFyzY?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

O'Doyle Rules
01-11-2014, 03:27 AM
Barf

Extremis
01-11-2014, 06:33 AM
every time I see APC live now I feel that notion im watching billy circa the adore tour.. also im not a fan of this

Baffler_Meal
01-11-2014, 02:13 PM
James and the Giant Love-of-Bald-Billy's.

APC... Mer de Noms is pretty decent. Ashes Divide might be trite by Netphoria standards, but I'm a big fan. The wife and I saw them live at Project Revolution (SHUT IT) in 2008 and we were the only two people in the audience who knew who the hell they were.

We thoroughly enjoyed it.

slunken
01-11-2014, 04:17 PM
I was reading an old SP interview about how James favored his black Les Paul that never stayed in tune over the silver one that did stay in tune and lo and behold he's still playing it in this video.

juliana
01-11-2014, 06:54 PM
Love it. Love APC.

What I think is really interesting is how Jeff is forced to play gibsons when he plays with SP which he says was weird for him because he always played fenders. I have a black les paul bass it reminds me of james.

Lastly, James' hair is unmatched.

Shallowed
01-12-2014, 04:13 AM
I was reading an old SP interview about how James favored his black Les Paul that never stayed in tune over the silver one that did stay in tune and lo and behold he's still playing it in this video.

Source?

slunken
01-12-2014, 01:48 PM
I think it's the guitar magazine from 98 but if not it's an interview from one of the guitar mags. There aren't many.

redbreegull
01-12-2014, 04:04 PM
What I think is really interesting is how Jeff is forced to play gibsons when he plays with SP which he says was weird for him because he always played fenders.

I was going to post something about how the Paul in the rhythm section is an important part of the band's sound, especially when Billy is doing lead on the thinner sounding strat, but honestly it probably has more to do with Jeff being James' asian Les Paul playing stand-in.

juliana
01-12-2014, 07:04 PM
I was going to post something about how the Paul in the rhythm section is an important part of the band's sound, especially when Billy is doing lead on the thinner sounding strat, but honestly it probably has more to do with Jeff being James' asian Les Paul playing stand-in.

I think both are true. However, Jeff was not really good at sounding like james even with the same guitar. I like jeff a lot, he just played more similar to Billy than james.

redbreegull
01-12-2014, 08:31 PM
well yeah from a technical standpoint Jeff is far better than James, and is probably much more similar to billy in the development of his style (I know he loves excessive lead guitar fuckery from the 70s and 80s just like Billy). James brought something totally different in terms of his fills and "orchestral" parts and leads.

juliana
01-13-2014, 01:01 AM
well yeah from a technical standpoint Jeff is far better than James, and is probably much more similar to billy in the development of his style (I know he loves excessive lead guitar fuckery from the 70s and 80s just like Billy). James brought something totally different in terms of his fills and "orchestral" parts and leads.

Ya, it was a Ying & Yang with Billy and James.

slunken
01-13-2014, 09:28 PM
Source?

I think it's the guitar magazine from 98 but if not it's an interview from one of the guitar mags. There aren't many.

I found the original quote and another one

guitar school - april 96

GS: Did you and James have aa basic guitar setup that you used for most of the record?

CORGAN: Yes. Most of the time, the guitar combination was my '57 reissue Strat and James's gray sunburst Les Paul, which I think is from the eighties. That's the one that stays in tune. He's more sentimentally tied, however, to his black one, which won't stay in tune with anything! We call that the Gish Les Paul, because it's on so much of that record. While we were recording Gish, we had to continually punch in because if the low chords voicing were in tune, then the high voicings would be out of tune. It drove me fucking nuts! There's nothing I hate more than an out-of-tune guitar.

and from guitar world december 95

IHA: We'd take five guitars and try them all until we'd narrowed it down to the one that was best for the part being worked on. We never had the luxury to do that in the past - neither the time nor the money. But a lot of times we'd end up going with the guitar that would stay in tune the best. I have this early Eighties Les Paul Custom a silver sunburst that we used a lot, not only because it has a great Les Paul sound but also mainly because it stayed in tune. Basically, we used Strats and Les Pauls.CORGAN: And of course we've got the full pedal army. Between the two of us, we've got 30 or 40 pedals.

TheEdgeboy
01-13-2014, 10:19 PM
the James v Jeff debate is silly. It usually comes with the caveat that Jeff is "technically" a better player than James which is largely irrelevant. There's maybe a million players technically better than James, means nothing. The type of band the Pumpkins were was the type that intuitively picked up on their own unique vibe, aura, essence, spirit, showmanship, mystery...etc. None of this is present with Jeff in the band. It all left with James (in tow with Darcy and Melissa).

Not that those elements all resided in James alone, just when he left that wonderful alchemical mix of the band left as well.

TheEdgeboy
01-13-2014, 10:24 PM
anyway,

couldn't help but see the irony in this video with APC. James doing a mellon collie'esque piano intro. Just a hunch, my guess is this was Howerdel's idea and is remnants of the energy that had Billy H. ask James into the band to begin with...to get back at Billy C in subtle and not so subtle ways.

slunken
01-13-2014, 10:24 PM
His nickname is "The Shredder" ffs :hurl:

slunken
01-13-2014, 10:26 PM
Blame Dave Navarro:

He added:. "I got back into the guitar after playing a few shows with Dave Navarro. I can't beat [his] abs, so the only way I can compete is with guitar solos."

TheEdgeboy
01-13-2014, 10:28 PM
*yawn*

2 shredders in one band. great for metal metal...not so much for alternative rock.

TheEdgeboy
01-13-2014, 10:37 PM
Navarro might of been a better selection. I think BC would of been better off picking muso's with equal showman aura's for balance. Melissa replacing Darcy was about as natural a transition that could be had on all levels.

pavementtune
01-14-2014, 12:35 AM
Hey Omega Concern, what's wrong with your other account? "TheEdgeboy", can't tell it apart from butt pope.

juliana
01-14-2014, 12:56 AM
anyway,

couldn't help but see the irony in this video with APC. James doing a mellon collie'esque piano intro. Just a hunch, my guess is this was Howerdel's idea and is remnants of the energy that had Billy H. ask James into the band to begin with...to get back at Billy C in subtle and not so subtle ways.

I believed getting james in the band was about getting back at Billy for taking paz.

juliana
01-14-2014, 12:59 AM
the James v Jeff debate is silly. It usually comes with the caveat that Jeff is "technically" a better player than James which is largely irrelevant. There's maybe a million players technically better than James, means nothing. The type of band the Pumpkins were was the type that intuitively picked up on their own unique vibe, aura, essence, spirit, showmanship, mystery...etc. None of this is present with Jeff in the band. It all left with James (in tow with Darcy and Melissa).

Not that those elements all resided in James alone, just when he left that wonderful alchemical mix of the band left as well.

What debate?

slunken
01-14-2014, 01:37 AM
is edgeboy monte?

T&T
01-14-2014, 10:02 AM
Navarro might of been a better selection. I think BC would of been better off picking muso's with equal showman aura's for balance. Melissa replacing Darcy was about as natural a transition that could be had on all levels.

billy will never invite a high profile musician into his band ever again because they cost too much and they'd have a back bone.
you really think navarro would take the back seat to billy's whims?

juliana
01-14-2014, 09:24 PM
Who wouldn't be the one brushing your hair!

Butt Pope
01-16-2014, 10:49 AM
Hey Omega Concern, what's wrong with your other account? "TheEdgeboy", can't tell it apart from butt pope.

Yo.

TheEdgeboy
01-21-2014, 06:51 PM
billy will never invite a high profile musician into his band ever again because they cost too much and they'd have a back bone.
you really think navarro would take the back seat to billy's whims?

oh yea, I agree, but that's the mistake. In cost and rock relevance parlance, its picking up the nickels and dimes while the dollars are flying over your head.