View Full Version : Quasar - Worst song?

HereIsNoWhy4U
11-11-2013, 10:47 AM
I've heard a lot of people on this board say it is one of Billy's worst songs, if not THE worst.
But I always wondered as to why people would choose it to be worse than for example 'For God and Country' or 'Widow Wake My Mind'.

Is it because he totally ripped of the tone and riffs from SD? Or is it because of another reason? Explain and discuss.

themadcaplaughs
11-11-2013, 11:03 AM
The boring, uninspired riff, the horrible drum sound, the lame lyrics, and its attempt to ape "Cherub Rock" and "Superchrist" all make it absolutely awful. I'd take the songs you mentioned ("For God and Country" and "Widow Wake My Mind") in an SECOND over "Quasar."

When I saw it live, even Jeff's wank at the end couldn't save it.

scottytheoneand
11-11-2013, 11:22 AM
Everyone gather, warm your soul
Everyone gather, warm your soul, your soul
Everyone, everyone

Everyone, everyone
Everyone, everyone, everyone, yeah

Everyone, everyone

Everyone, everyone

Faraway light, faraway light
Anywhere, anywhere light
Anywhere, anywhere light
Faraway life, faraway lights
Anywhere, anywhere life
Faraway life, faraway light

Everyone, everyone

Everyone, everyone

Everyone, everyone

Everyone, everyone

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ytr4ljy2rHc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

T&T
11-11-2013, 11:24 AM
^^^ that's the worst song.

scottytheoneand
11-11-2013, 11:26 AM
Oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh
Oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh

Widow wake my mind
Widow wake my mind
Widow wake my mind
Widow wake my mind

I'm looking for a love, a love that shines
That shines, a love that shines
To be mine, yes, all mine
A love that's mine

Oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh
Oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh

Widow wake my mind
Widow wake my mind
Are you real this time?
Widow wake my mind

I'm looking for a love that I can find
To be mine, a love that's mine
It'll shine, in my mind
A love that shines

Accept the grace, the moment you are in
Accept the chase of where we must begin
'Cause when you crawl, you crawl into my heart
And when you fall, you fall right in my arms

We'll shine, yes, we'll shine
Our love will shine
You'll be mine, yes, all mine
Our love will shine

Oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh
Oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh

I'm looking for a love that I call mine

Shine, we'll shine
Widow wake my mind
Shine, we'll shine
Widow wake my mind
Shine, we'll shine
Shine... We'll shine
Widow wake my mind
Shine, we'll shine
Shine... We'll shine
Widow wake my mind
Shine, we'll shine
Shine... We'll shine
Widow wake my mind
Shine, we'll shine
Shine... We'll shine
Widow wake my mind
We'll shine

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/PIJzVRx6DlY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

T&T
11-11-2013, 12:13 PM
^^^ 2nd worst SP song.

ExitInTheSky
11-11-2013, 01:39 PM
honestly, most of teargarden leaves me running back to zeitgeist for at least a few tracks.. god and country isn't bad either (just the album version).. the acoustic one is great imo

scottytheoneand
11-11-2013, 02:03 PM
the only two songs off TBK worth a damn were Song for a Son and Cottonwood Symphony.

You can argue about whether the current line up should even be referred to as SP, but TBK was obviously just billy fucking around in the studio with Kerry and Bjorn. It has as much to do with TBK as TFE or Zwan (probably less than Zwan since that at least had Jimmy).

qlitchford
11-11-2013, 02:55 PM
I'm bracing myself for the backlash now...

I don't think Astral Planes is completely horrible. I don't tend to go out of my way to listen to it, and the lyrics are shit. The first EP for TBK is very cringe-worthy overall. Astral Planes fits in fine with the rest of the EP - some of the worst material the band has published.

With that said, I understand what the song seems to be going for with the noisy early 70's ... whatever. Amazingly, I think that the monotony of most of the song makes the "Faraway Lights" break that much more enjoyable. I really like that little part of the song.

And with that said, yes, it is certainly one of the worst songs SP songs. I have hard time placing it below Widow. I'd actually place Because You Are below Astral Planes. OK, now that I've actually written that, maybe just tied. Of course, when I'm taking the time to grade pieces of shit, I think that reflects more poorly on me than on the songs themselves.

Quasar isn't horrible. It fits well in its place on the album. Yes, it's a rip of several better SP songs, but I say that about nearly every song on the album. On the album, Mike doesn't sound as horrible as usual with Quasar. Again, grading pieces of shit.

slunken
11-11-2013, 05:15 PM
Quasar is the worst song

qlitchford
11-11-2013, 05:43 PM
Quasar is the worst song

I agree.

redbreegull
11-11-2013, 05:50 PM
you are all wrong. Nothing particularly wrong with Quasar (any more so than the rest of Oceania). It's in the top 25% of songs released since the reunion. Comparing it to Widow Wake My Wind is fucking laughable, WWMM is so much worse it's not even worth the time it would take me to argue about this. And anyone who thinks Zeitgeist is superior to Oceania was kicked in the head by a horse

T&T
11-11-2013, 05:56 PM
the only two songs off TBK worth a damn were Song for a Son and Cottonwood Symphony.
I 100% agree with this.

scottytheoneand
11-11-2013, 05:58 PM
would have liked to hear Zwan play song for a son

redbreegull
11-11-2013, 05:59 PM
at least Oceania has some fucking energy behind it, something this band has been virtually incapable of capturing since they "came back." Widow Wake My Mind is like I still cannot believe Corgan released this song and it happened like 4 years ago

fuzzyroes
11-11-2013, 06:51 PM
And anyone who thinks Zeitgeist is superior to Oceania was kicked in the head by a horse

I think it is better than Oceania... Zeitgeist has much higher highs... I like That's the way, Tarantula, Stellar, Pomp, Ma Belle, Come on lets go much more than anything on Oceania... Stars and Bleeding the Orchid are pretty cool too... The rest of the songs are shit.. But that's still a pretty good chunk of good tunes that I have on my Ipod. I don't revisit anything from Oceania.... Sure the production is nice... But it's just a release with no energy at all... Nice sounding stuff, but nothing that interests me as a music fan or on an emotional level.

killtrocity
11-11-2013, 07:09 PM
as forgettable as zetgeist was, Jimmy is a fucking beast on that album. too bad it's buried in the mix beneath billy's shitty vocals and poorly structured songs

killtrocity
11-11-2013, 07:10 PM
and there can be no question that the teargarden stretch of songs marks the most consistently shitty output of billy since forever

fuzzyroes
11-11-2013, 07:13 PM
Meh... Jimmy still provides some awesome energy. He just locks in with Bill so fucking well. Sounds so tight... Even though the mixing was botched, you can still feel/appreciate the vibe they were going for.

I don't know how people can think that a song like That's the way isn't better than everything on Oceania... I never understood the hate for Lets go either. Jim kills it.

fuzzyroes
11-11-2013, 07:15 PM
and there can be no question that the teargarden stretch of songs marks the most consistently shitty output of billy since forever

I think it's all Byrnes fault. Billys used to holing up in the studio and creating with a beast like Jimmy... Now he begins Teargarden and he's trying to get stuff rolling with a kid who's NEVER EVEN RECORDED before... I think a lot of the struggle was just getting something that was merely passable outta Byrne.

What a clusterfuck that whole thing was. I still can't believe he replaced Jimmy with Byrne... What a fucking idiot haha.

fuzzyroes
11-11-2013, 07:18 PM
and really, the drumming on Astral planes isn't even merely passable... What a mess.

redbreegull
11-11-2013, 07:32 PM
That's the Way is very bad except I like how the solo kicks in over the last lyric in that chorus. That's how all of zeitgeist is. Tons of shit with little moments of brilliance peeking through. Oceania is much, much better, and I am not a big fan of Oceania either.

TuralyonW3
11-11-2013, 08:47 PM
widow is easily the worst song

Banana
11-11-2013, 09:20 PM
Yeah Astral Planes is the worst song. Give him credit though he really put out a lot of strong contenders for that title over the last few years.

Banana
11-11-2013, 09:22 PM
And Zeitgeist is better than Oceania, easily.

Ram27
11-11-2013, 10:08 PM
I never understood the hate for Lets go either. Jim kills it.

Zeitgeist could probably be up there with MCIS and SD as my favorite album if they muted all the tracks but the drums.

slunken
11-11-2013, 11:01 PM

it was but there's honestly been quite a few worse songs since then

redbreegull
11-11-2013, 11:12 PM

neil young speaks the truth

it was but there's honestly been quite a few worse songs since then

that's against the laws of physics

BurtSampson
11-12-2013, 12:12 AM
Everyone, everyone

Everyone, everyone

Everyone, everyone

Everyone, everyone

Anywhere, anywhere light
Anywhere, anywhere light
Anywhere, anywhere life

Everyone, everyone

Everyone, everyone

Everyone, everyone

Everyone, everyone

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ytr4ljy2rHc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

it is still unbelievable to me that a professional rock band put out a song this bad

reprise85
11-12-2013, 01:11 AM
yeah astral planes is the worst song.

slunken
11-12-2013, 01:50 AM
since we're quoting lyrics:

God right on!
Krishna right on!
Mark right on!
Yod He Vau He Om
Let's ride on!
Right on!
Let's ride on!

Fated One hold me down
Know my blur and my keep
Do I know you?
What keeps us free if you believe?
Please allow me to say hello to you
Yes I understand
Yes I know thy will
Yes I am that man
Yes, I
Yes, I

Lover, lover, catch me slow
You can serve me notice
You can have my sight
Lover, lover stay with me all night

Yod He Vau He Om
Brothers, Sisters roam!
Sunlight ride on!
Yod He Vau He Om
Let's ride on!

Right on!
Ride on!

Yes I understood
Yes I know thy will
Yes I am one man
Yes I
Yes I understand
Yes I know thy will
Yes I am one man
Yes, I
Yes, I

Yod He Vau He Om
Yod He Vau He Om
Yod He Vau He Om
Om...

is at least as equally bad as astral planes

Slug
11-12-2013, 12:30 PM
Song is horrible, but whats wrong with the riff?

slunken
11-14-2013, 02:52 AM
Song is horrible, but whats wrong with the riff?

exactly that

teh b0lly!!1
11-14-2013, 03:46 AM
i have stopped following or listening to SP since after zeitgeist, so i wasn't aware of all these horrendous songs listed in this thread. so i just listened to astral planes

it's impressively vexing

aztec litany service
11-14-2013, 08:35 AM
gastral pains is what it should be called

slunken
11-14-2013, 04:20 PM
Looool

redbreegull
11-14-2013, 04:23 PM
i have stopped following or listening to SP since after zeitgeist, so i wasn't aware of all these horrendous songs listed in this thread. so i just listened to astral planes

it's impressively vexing

listen to widow, the version from letterman with the mormon choir

iPumpkin
11-15-2013, 11:17 PM
I remember when Because you are was the worst song.

The good ol days.

TimeZoneChecker
11-16-2013, 05:50 AM
No.

Quasar is the only post-reunion song that actually lives up to a decent SP-standard by thinking out of the box, that what SP was known for. the riffs are kick-ass, the breakdown is psychedelic, it's one of the hardest SP-rockers with wailing GISH-guitars all over it. just the ending could have been done better imo.

Sure intro rips off Cherub Rock, but it was about time he did ;)

TimeZoneChecker
11-16-2013, 05:52 AM
worst song ever is GLOW for me

Raskolnikov
11-16-2013, 11:48 PM
listen to widow, the version from letterman with the mormon choir

Had forgotten about this for a long, long time - then about a year ago tried to find it on YouTube/Vimeo/whatever and it was nowhere to be found... and now it's back in it's full HD glory, and I have even more questions than I did when I first saw it live.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/5PhzkZxVR7c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

slunken
11-17-2013, 12:58 AM
in case it needs repeating the choir was linda strawberry's family but yes they are from utah

just noticed that the little girl on the right doesn't sing a note the entire time

slunken
11-17-2013, 01:08 AM
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb14/slunken_2007/SP%20LOL/mikey_zps1112b66d.gif (http://s207.photobucket.com/user/slunken_2007/media/SP%20LOL/mikey_zps1112b66d.gif.html)

#counting #struggling

Raskolnikov
11-17-2013, 01:50 AM
in case it needs repeating the choir was linda strawberry's family but yes they are from utah

Didn't know that somehow... while it further boggles my mind as to why he/they would invite them to come, it doesn't surprise me. Being a non-Utah dude living in Utah, they just <i>look</i> like Utahans.

And, yeah - why was Mark playing bass on this?

teh b0lly!!1
11-17-2013, 02:59 AM
at first i thought breegull was joking, mormon choir?! holy shit!
i looked for it but wasn't able to find it, maybe it was taken down again

teh b0lly!!1
11-17-2013, 03:00 AM
i was intrigued though so i did try and get through one listen of Widow Wake my Mind

that shit is seriously insufferable, just the most awful fucking music, god

qlitchford
11-17-2013, 10:49 AM
I find it sad that the best part of the Leno performance was that he was dressed in Zwan attire.

Ram27
11-17-2013, 11:48 AM
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb14/slunken_2007/SP%20LOL/mikey_zps1112b66d.gif (http://s207.photobucket.com/user/slunken_2007/media/SP%20LOL/mikey_zps1112b66d.gif.html)

#counting #struggling

I wish there was an proshot HD recording of a golden era Pumpkins show. Like that one Nirvana concert.

Bread Regal
11-17-2013, 01:03 PM
listening to quasar for maybe the 2nd, maybe 3rd time ever. this song is by no means good, but it's far from the worst. just kind of sounds like leftover machina ideas on autopilot.

widow make my mind though is pure horseshit. the absolute worst song billy has ever committed to a replicable medium.

redbreegull
11-17-2013, 10:20 PM
listening to quasar for maybe the 2nd, maybe 3rd time ever. this song is by no means good, but it's far from the worst. just kind of sounds like leftover machina ideas on autopilot.

widow make my mind though is pure horseshit. the absolute worst song billy has ever committed to a replicable medium.

yeah, I didn't even remember how bad that video is. just. i don.t even.

themadcaplaughs
11-18-2013, 12:02 AM
My thoughts watching that video...

1. Jay is much more excited by that Teargarden EP than I would have been.
2. Linda is so pregnant she is about to pop. Is she still associated with Billy anymore or has he exiled her too?
3. Jeff looks like he's just trying to get through the performance without rolling his eyes.
4. Mark looks like some kind of cross between Slash and the Penguin from the 1960s Batman television show (although he is without a doubt the best thing about this performance)
6. The women in Linda's family are fat.
7. The twin girls look like the girls in The Shining.

I'll still rate "Quasar" below this though.

teh b0lly!!1
11-18-2013, 04:32 AM
oh man my adblock was hiding it, just watched it

i just love how ultra depressed the entire choir looks whenever they have to sing

teh b0lly!!1
11-18-2013, 04:51 AM
http://s13.postimg.org/zei3dbhrr/depresso.gif

RenewRevive
11-18-2013, 04:57 AM
I remember when Because you are was the worst song.

The good ol days.

billy successfully knocked that one off the worst song perch, but it took a hell of a lot of commitment!

quasar isn't even the worst song on Oceania and is eclipsed by most of TbK. Tom Tom is the best track from that erm, era.

teh b0lly!!1
11-18-2013, 05:36 AM
Because You Are wasn't even remotely the worst sp song

HMM or white spyder on M2 are infinitely worse

smashingjj
11-18-2013, 07:40 AM
:( whyte spydėr at least has some good riffs, that's one of a few things b-cuz u r doensn't have

themadcaplaughs
11-18-2013, 11:08 AM
One of the people singing in the choir posted on the o-board a few months ago. He/she (I forget which one it was) basically talked about how Billy had them flown out and dressed them up like that. Apparently he had a very specific idea as to how the choir should look and be dressed.

As for the vacant looks on their faces, apparently they were pretty nervous about being on television and were more concentrated on the singing and hitting the cues right than actually mugging for the cameras. I also remember Linda Strawberry saying that in person, the choir was much more prominent but they were more or less excised from the mix that aired.

As weird as it is (and it is astoundingly weird) it pretty much summed up that bizarre phase of Corgan's career in 2009-2010. His obsession with weird religious imagery (this was when he was still writing stuff on that spiritual blog), Mike still looking star struck and confused, and Mark there for no particular reason. As horrible as the performance was, it was a hell of a lot more interesting than the semi-Greatest Hits/sing along band Smashing Pumpkins has become.

Also makes me realize that, for once, Corgan must have listened to the fan base, as all the Teargarden material is absent from set lists these days. Outside of the odd performance of "A Song for a Son" in 2012, he hasn't played any of these EP 1 and 2 songs since 2010.

Cool As Ice Cream
11-18-2013, 11:11 AM
that mormon choir widow wake my mind is a smashing pumpkins highlight. it doesn't get much better than that.

ohnoitsbonnie
02-04-2017, 02:00 AM
Owata beautiful night cool in your pocket

great poster
02-04-2017, 10:41 PM
the only good song Billy put out post-breakup is Stellar, with the worst being Owatta.

Ram27
02-04-2017, 11:23 PM
I still think this was a nice performance

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/uJiV1EMWxzA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

great poster
02-04-2017, 11:43 PM
I actually agree, it makes the song sound really pleasant but the version that we ended up getting was awful

ninsp
02-05-2017, 01:48 PM
Everyone, everyone

Everyone, everyone

Everyone, everyone

Everyone, everyone

Anywhere, anywhere light
Anywhere, anywhere light
Anywhere, anywhere life

Everyone, everyone

Everyone, everyone

Everyone, everyone

Everyone, everyone

See, but this song was intentionally weird, and was supposed to be like a psychedelic hippy chant. Quasar was a weird, flaccid Cherub Rock wannabe. It has no point, it's just weird and weak. At least Astral Planes seems to be going for a particular style even if it's banal shit

The only good song to come from TBK era was Tom Tom, easily. That is a GREAT song. Lush production, good vox, it's the hippy vibe done right. Even Byrne sounded OK. That modern day, happy but dark hippie vibe is what Corgan should've gone with TBK. Instead we got shit like Astral Planes and Quasar.

amoergosum
02-05-2017, 01:59 PM

#counting #struggling

GIF + SONG >>> click (https://gifsound.com/?gif=i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb14/slunken_2007/SP%2520LOL/mikey_zps1112b66d.gif&v=LmR7G208ug4)

FoolofaTook
02-05-2017, 02:19 PM
lulz

FoolofaTook
02-05-2017, 02:26 PM
is the morrmon widow down for good? i really missed out.

Raskolnikov
02-06-2017, 12:54 AM
is the morrmon widow down for good? i really missed out.

I feared for this, and downloaded it while it was still up. HD DL below!

https://we.tl/7Iy7uG2fcn

FoolofaTook
02-06-2017, 02:44 AM
uhuh you think imma fall for that? you think i want my aged conservative parents to see some dude's prolapsed anus?

FoolofaTook
02-06-2017, 02:44 AM
sorry i meant some dude's bleeding prolapsed anus

TuralyonW3
02-06-2017, 03:12 AM
It's definitely widow guyz

Cool As Ice Cream
02-06-2017, 04:29 AM
EVERYONE EVERYONE EVERYONE
YEAH