View Full Version : Ten years ago today, I saw this on TV

redbreegull
10-15-2013, 11:33 PM
del b/c of screwed up margin

redbreegull
10-15-2013, 11:33 PM
It was Wednesday, October 15th, 2003, and it was game 7 of the NLCS, Cubs vs. Marlins at Wrigley. I was in ninth grade, watching at home with my dad, holding my breath for a Cubs win. 7th inning stretch comes along, and this lanky motherfucker in a fishing hat is up on my screen in my living room singing take me out to the ball game.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/s1oXXWqgVx0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Who the fuck is that? "That's Billy Corgan. He was in Smashing Pumpkins back in the 90s," says my dad. "I have one of his albums, you might like it."

Cubs fucked up and I crawled off to bed, depressed and disappointed, but not before taking this album called Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness off of my dad's CD shelf. The CD booklet is covered in disturbing pictures of animals smoking drugs and playing baseball, and some kid molesting a lamb. What the fuck is this. I lay down with the lights off, put the disc in my discman, put the headphones on my fucking head and listened to this mysterious instrumental piece with some pretty piano. The orchestral sounds diminish, the final, twinkling notes of the piano sound in the song, and then... My senses are struck with a sudden wave of guitars, soaring violins, and pounding drums. They wash over me like the surf over a drowning man. I cannot fight. I give in entirely. Holy shit. The rest is history.

T&T
10-15-2013, 11:36 PM
del b/c of screwed up margin

wtf is up with that anyways?

Order 66
10-16-2013, 12:08 AM
i wanna meet that dad

slunken
10-16-2013, 12:09 AM
The rest is history.

<b>

Adult Head
10-16-2013, 11:45 AM
put the headphones on my fucking head

:rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon:

Adult Head
10-16-2013, 11:46 AM
They wash over me like the surf over a drowning man.

oh god, come on man

T&T
10-16-2013, 03:31 PM
will anyone answer my question about the margin in top posts fucking up?

I think it's a bit more important then any SP trivia (that we've repeated ad nauseam)

tyguy666
10-16-2013, 06:25 PM
i wanna meet that dad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21UP0frYg-E

Ram27
10-16-2013, 06:43 PM
will anyone answer my question about the margin in top posts fucking up?

I think it's a bit more important then any SP trivia (that we've repeated ad nauseam)

Oh, that's happening to other people too? thank god. I thought adblock was fucking up or something.

redbreegull
10-16-2013, 07:53 PM
it's been happening to most of us for weeks now. we already had a thread about it in gen chat. no one knows what is wrong

stumpycat
10-17-2013, 01:47 AM
Sloppy fucking code, no?

Since when was it a good idea to nest a right float javascript element right into the exact same table cell that the post content goes into? The same style is being applied to the post content also which is right below it in the code, because the cell stop doesn't occur until later on down, i.e. everything in the cell is being instructed to right float.

In all the other instances of "affiliate marketing" it is sectioned off into its own table cell in the code.

Anyway...that's what it looks like to me.

stumpycat
10-17-2013, 02:08 AM
And oh yeah...good luck. I don't think the individuals capable of changing this bad behavior pay a damned bit of attention to board maintenance issues like this anymore. Plus they think Clicksor ads are OK in the first place.

Shallowed
10-17-2013, 02:52 AM
I know right? Fucking table java cells...

Esty
10-17-2013, 06:13 AM
That Cubs choke job was priceless.

Gossamer
10-17-2013, 07:40 PM
i like this thread

killtrocity
10-17-2013, 08:37 PM
2015 rbg, get ready. I'll see you there.

Raskolnikov
10-17-2013, 09:24 PM
What a wild way to get into SP - honestly, interesting/cool story.

And I think that right align stuff really is a 'sign of the times' sorta thing. This place could go down for good at any moment. I wonder what percentage of us have AdBlock installed: maybe 80%? 90%? Not sure how you could even think about coming here without it.

That said: then how is whoever paying for this site? What do you think it costs to run?

Ram27
10-17-2013, 09:46 PM
I don't even wanna know what happens if you turn adblock off on here.

On iOS without adblock there's all these horseshit popups and redirects and things that switch you over to the app store. It's pretty much unusable.

stumpycat
10-18-2013, 12:35 AM
None of those ad solutions companies pay publishers much for displaying the ads. But allowing Clicksor is just irresponsible. They don't seem to give a shit about how virus/trojan/spyware/malware infested the ads are - only that you as the publisher don't click on your own ad to game the system.

I've heard that Clicksor ad placements can also become extremely tough to remove should you decide you don't want to display their ads anymore. Apparently also they are one of the only ad placement companies that expects you to manually place the ads (i.e. that horrid javascript object) within your website code. I think that is the problem here.

slunken
10-18-2013, 01:37 AM
i've heard there is a way to turn on blood mode for mortal kombat II snes version

The Omega Concern
10-18-2013, 11:42 AM
That Cubs choke job was priceless.

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Sport/Pix/pictures/2009/10/15/1255616987191/Steve-Bartman-001.jpg

opera de nuit
10-18-2013, 12:11 PM
i've heard there is a way to turn on blood mode for mortal kombat II snes version

II has blood. I doesn't, but no code :(

Spira|_
10-18-2013, 08:33 PM
Redreebulll I cant believe you just dig into SP in 2003, just though you was very old fan, dunno.
Must be a so different perception of the all albums comparing to someone who lived the album releases and listen to it in their respective eras.
Just curious, what are your fav a less fav album until 2000?
And pos 2007 you agree also almost everything sucks, no?

stumpycat
10-18-2013, 11:34 PM

Oh was my phraseology bad? I've never used Clicksor myself, though that is one of many things I've read about their business practices (probably not at all surprising) by people who have used them.

killtrocity
10-18-2013, 11:40 PM
Redreebulll I cant believe you just dig into SP in 2003, just though you was very old fan, dunno.

I wasn't a fan until Zeitgeist, that shit just blew my mind.

No but seriously it was 2005 for me

Spira|_
10-19-2013, 10:34 AM
lol
I wonder if someone in the world started being SP fan with Zeitgeist eheh

Ram27
10-19-2013, 10:24 PM
I started a few months before Oceania.

(Through Rotten Apples, though. Of course.)

redbreegull
10-20-2013, 07:41 PM
Must be a so different perception of the all albums comparing to someone who lived the album releases and listen to it in their respective eras.
Just curious, what are your fav a less fav album until 2000?
And pos 2007 you agree also almost everything sucks, no?

yeah I was just a babby when the best stuff came out. my dad bought mcis for rat in a cage but didn't care too much for most of the album.

I usually rank the studio albums SD > MCIS > Adore > Gish > Machina II > Machina. It's hard though cause SD, MCIS, and Adore are all masterpiece level albums to me.

and yes I think mostly everything from the revived band has ranged from completely mediocre to unlistenable.

Eulogy
10-20-2013, 08:15 PM
how did you get to high school without knowing who billy corgan was?

redbreegull
10-20-2013, 08:20 PM
del b/c margin

redbreegull
10-20-2013, 08:21 PM
I kind of knew that smashing pumpkins were a rock band and I think I knew they did today and disarm, but other than that I had no knowledge of billy corgan. I didn't get seriously interested in music until the summer before I went to high school, and there was certainly no one in my middle school who listened to rock music from the early 90s. If you found someone listening to rock music it would be linkin park or something like that..

stumpycat
10-21-2013, 12:22 AM
how did you get to high school without knowing who billy corgan was?

Easy. By the early 2000s (when Redbreegull was in highschool, I think), the mainstream of pop and rock had clearly already moved on to Good Charlotte, AFI, Linkin Park, etc. Even back to Green Day. LOL.

CrabbMan
06-14-2014, 12:37 AM
Oh I understand now.

Trotskilicious
06-14-2014, 01:46 AM
green day LOL

Trotskilicious
06-14-2014, 01:46 AM
i haven't thought about good charlotte in ever

toase
06-15-2014, 12:48 AM
Here's a cool story from someone who cannot get to sleep:
There was a festival once near here, I remember I was in high school and could not attend to it, the line up was Sonic Youth, Nine Inch Nails, Iggy Pop and the Stooges, Nação Zumbi, Fantômas, The Flaming Lips and the opening act was Good Charlotte. Two friends of mine arrived at the festival just in time for the Good Charlotte concert, and they left afterwards... Then I realized I needed new friends... End of the the cool story, goodnight