View Full Version : GATMOG - The Cartoon

IWishIWasBlank
10-06-2012, 04:02 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-b84GKHoVg

How the fuck did I miss this over the years? Seriously. All three episodes that got produced are up there... I think that's all they got around to, right? I thought that they never aired or leaked anywhere at any time.

LalaPumpkinhead
10-06-2012, 04:05 AM
OLD

and

IT SUCKED

IWishIWasBlank
10-06-2012, 04:07 AM
Yeah, it's certainly old. I just don't remember ever seeing it circulate anywhere. I wonder why I missed this back in the day.

Astur
10-06-2012, 04:56 AM
I had never watched this before. Wow it sucks hard. Straight to the Machina reissue DVD

LalaPumpkinhead
10-06-2012, 05:49 AM
I had never watched this before. Wow it sucks hard. Straight to the Machina reissue DVD

I hope this won't be on the Machina reissue. I am looking forward to that and I don't want this crappy cartoon ruining it.

Rider
10-06-2012, 12:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-b84GKHoVg

How the fuck did I miss this over the years? Seriously. All three episodes that got produced are up there... I think that's all they got around to, right? I thought that they never aired or leaked anywhere at any time.

The production company that made them leaked them on their website like 5-8 years ago.

They are horrible 80's Saturday morning cartoon materiel. When you watch them I think it's clear Billy had little to do with them and once they showed him the first 3 he killed it.

Rider
10-06-2012, 12:31 PM

This is Billys Christmas Special, I doubt there is anyway in hell he would ever sign off on these being officially released on any product he has control over.

Astur
10-06-2012, 12:40 PM
This is Billys Christmas Special, I doubt there is anyway in hell he would ever sign off on these being officially released on any product he has control over.

I hope so, I was only joking. The remixed songs would be an interesting addition to SPRC. If that thing exists anymore.

Rider
10-06-2012, 12:50 PM
I hope so, I was only joking. The remixed songs would be an interesting addition to SPRC. If that thing exists anymore.

I doubt he would even admit there are alt versions of the songs. He never even admitted these episodes existed until after they were leaked. He really just wanted the whole thing to disappear, which I find hysterical because of the huge media push he did when signed the silly deal to make these. Billy and Sony were going to reinvent entertainment. Hysterical that they ended up making a bad Captain Planet clone.

Order 66
10-06-2012, 04:33 PM
i sort of wished there were more episodes or it was finished. it made such little sense it was kind of hilarious

TheAeroplane
10-06-2012, 08:05 PM
i remember it being an attack on corporatism, and i think it was fun to watch, especially while high

stumpycat
10-06-2012, 09:26 PM
Umm...was this supposed to be Billy's allegory about himself?

Rider
10-06-2012, 09:37 PM
Umm...was this supposed to be Billy's allegory about himself?

It was Billys fuck you to the fans for not gushing enough over Adore.

magikarp99
10-07-2012, 06:06 PM
The production company that made them leaked them on their website like 5-8 years ago.

They are horrible 80's Saturday morning cartoon materiel. When you watch them I think it's clear Billy had little to do with them and once they showed him the first 3 he killed it.

Are you sure they were leaked? They were definitely up on the production company's site. But if I believe they were also on the official GATMOG site, and I suspect they were there first.

Rider
10-07-2012, 06:15 PM
Are you sure they were leaked? They were definitely up on the production company's site. But if I believe they were also on the official GATMOG site, and I suspect they were there first.

They were tucked away on back page of the production companies site. They were never on the GATMOG site, they came out years after all that was over.

Order 66
10-07-2012, 06:19 PM
watching it again i guess it was kind of prophetic, whether intentional or not... a crackpot hasbeen wants to get th band back together to spread gods message

IWishIWasBlank
10-08-2012, 04:21 AM
The animation style wasn't that bad, but the animation itself was weak sauce.

On an unrelated note, does anyone else remember when Batman: The Animated Series first came on, and you thought "Man, there's really something awesome about this animation..." T.A.S. is still regarded very highly of all the cartoon series and you can tell they try to duplicate that style in other Batman cartoons. Good stuff.

Slurpee
10-08-2012, 10:47 AM
These never showed up on the fake websites that were related to GATMOG? Or were those leaked / discovered via backdoor methods as well?

I bet these would have shown up for real if they'd done the full goodbye tour - Black Wings Over America - but stupid Melissa's schedule meant they could only do a couple farewell shows.

T&T
10-08-2012, 12:12 PM
but stupid Melissa's schedule meant they could only do a couple farewell shows.

where'd you hear this version of reality?
IIRC when she signed up they told her it was the bands last album, last sets of tours. only once she was onboard did she get to see how bad the situation was. maybe midway billy asked if they could track another album together (or something) but she couldn't wait to check out at that point, same deal for james obviously.
the quote probably sounded like "see ya!"

IIRC these cartoons only leaked in 2003~
and were only around as short preview clips in 2001.
I like the audio from them, I wouldn't mind releases of these remixes. just leak em. but they're probably not complete and just pieces like what's used in the cartoon.

MustardLies
10-08-2012, 01:57 PM
I like the audio from them, I wouldn't mind releases of these remixes. just leak em. but they're probably not complete and just pieces like what's used in the cartoon.

have you seen these?
http://thepumpkins.net/music/240-music-glass-and-the-machines-of-god-remixes

Slurpee
10-08-2012, 02:31 PM
where'd you hear this version of reality?
IIRC when she signed up they told her it was the bands last album, last sets of tours. only once she was onboard did she get to see how bad the situation was. maybe midway billy asked if they could track another album together (or something) but she couldn't wait to check out at that point, same deal for james obviously.
the quote probably sounded like "see ya!"

Oh it's Billy's version, but there's a quote flying around where they talked about doing a final tour of America (complete with South America shows), then it got pared down to a week at the metro, and then to just the two shows. Billy said Melissa had other stuff scheduled for end of 2000 / early 2001 that got in the way.

I can't find that quote. But looks like by the time he was writing his journals, he had a different tale:

"my original plan was to book the metro out for the whole month of January and make one last album, writing songs and recording them live in rehearsal and then playing them at night at the 'shows'...can't remember how many shows we would have done per week? maybe 3 or 4. Iha+ Auf Der Maur hated the idea and said no.... a shame, could have been amazing."

Rider
10-08-2012, 02:36 PM
Oh it's Billy's version, but there's a quote flying around where they talked about doing a final tour of America (complete with South America shows), then it got pared down to a week at the metro, and then to just the two shows. Billy said Melissa had other stuff scheduled for end of 2000 / early 2001 that got in the way.

I can't find that quote. But looks like by the time he was writing his journals, he had a different tale:

"my original plan was to book the metro out for the whole month of January and make one last album, writing songs and recording them live in rehearsal and then playing them at night at the 'shows'...can't remember how many shows we would have done per week? maybe 3 or 4. Iha+ Auf Der Maur hated the idea and said no.... a shame, could have been amazing."

Man that sounds like a horrible idea. See Billy needs sane people around him, or you end up with 44 song epics released in 3 songs per year cycles, with an album within an album...

reprise85
10-08-2012, 03:30 PM
batman the animated series is a favorite

Cowlishaw
10-08-2012, 07:05 PM
The animation style wasn't that bad, but the animation itself was weak sauce.

Yep. Space Ghost: Coast to Coast had better animation.

stumpycat
10-08-2012, 11:10 PM
...like richly colored and detailed comic book/anime style animation done on the extreme end of cheap. I mean, the color palette and background artwork is cool, but that's it. At first I thought it was a Flash animation because nothing was moving. The worst part are the scene "transitions" that look like when my digital TV signal fucks up.

BTW, anybody remember that Dr. Katz animation? Lololol.

Rider
10-08-2012, 11:59 PM
...like richly colored and detailed comic book/anime style animation done on the extreme end of cheap. I mean, the color palette and background artwork is cool, but that's it. At first I thought it was a Flash animation because nothing was moving. The worst part are the scene "transitions" that look like when my digital TV signal fucks up.

BTW, anybody remember that Dr. Katz animation? Lololol.

I could never for the life of me figure out why they did that with Dr. Katz. It was like some experiment to see how annoying you could make animation and people would still watch.

IWishIWasBlank
10-09-2012, 12:34 AM
Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Dr. Katz reminded me of Daria, though I didn't watch a lot of either. Samurai Jack was epic animation and style IMO.

And I agree with ya Stumpy. Well drawn stuff, very poorly animated with crappy transitions.

Rider
10-09-2012, 12:55 AM
I just noticed something hysterical that I never picked up the first time I watched these.

The first line in the cartoon is bitching about corporate synergy. Anyone remember how this was some huge big synergistic project with Sony launching this huge online web presence.

Oh Billy.

killtrocity
10-09-2012, 01:07 AM
watching it again i guess it was kind of prophetic, whether intentional or not... a crackpot hasbeen wants to get th band back together to spread gods message

ha

IWishIWasBlank
10-09-2012, 01:10 AM
I just noticed something hysterical that I never picked up the first time I watched these.

The first line in the cartoon is bitching about corporate synergy. Anyone remember how this was some huge big synergistic project with Sony launching this huge online web presence.

Oh Billy.

Oh Irony.

http://www.quarterlifemag.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Ironic_Mustache.jpg

T&T
10-13-2012, 07:30 AM
spam bots aside
anyone ever see a the Daft Punk cartoon movie Interstella 5555?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstella_5555:_The_5tory_of_the_5ecret_5tar_5ys tem
http://i.imgur.com/haGGb.jpg

think it was somehow inspired and related to the GATMOG cartoons?

foxtrot2012
10-14-2012, 02:59 AM
Did anyone ever figure out the Machina mystery?

IWishIWasBlank
10-14-2012, 03:16 PM
I don't think Billy figured out the Machina Mystery.

stumpycat
10-15-2012, 01:22 AM
I think Billy figured out the Machina mystery the day he picked the essay contest winner. ;)
Interactive multimedia musical experience, indeed.

pavementtune
10-06-2014, 04:23 PM
http://static.wixstatic.com/media/e56f8f_f304feb15d5846609c23a02e1fdadd0e.jpg_srz_p_ 472_600_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

GLASS AND HIS GHOST CHILDREN
MEMORABILIA MONDAY/RARE POSTER FROM ABANDONED ANIMATION PROJECT

October 6, 2014

As the Pumpkins were breaking up in 2000, I was approached with an idea: why not do an animated series around the characters I'd built for the Machina 'play'; with the purpose of developing a ground-breaking and unfolding musical work that would use the world-wide web to its then limited capability. Obviously, I agreed, as evidenced by Brian's poster here, for a show that was begun but abandoned. Not by me though, as I assigned the rights to a production team that was putting together the episodes themselves. Personally, I was excited by the implications, especially given Machina's tepid critical response, and also for the fact that another companies interest prodded what was that Virgin Records (R.I.P.) into believing they'd made some mistake in a) not supporting the record properly, and b) letting me walk contractually without much in the way of an offer.

So it's a shame the series was never finished, not released in any real way. Done right and well, I believe it would have put a different light on my motivations and actions in that time. But like so many good ideas in rock and roll, it died at the well. Not because the production team failed, but the controlling company (their parent so to speak) was sold.

Gooch
10-06-2014, 06:46 PM
Interesting. Right up there with the Power Puff Girls Dross remix.

Araneae
10-06-2014, 06:57 PM
Why are these memorabilia Monday posts so uninformative or boring? It seemed like such a good idea. I can't tell if it's because he's not getting any good questions or if its because of his lackluster responses.

Sonic Johnny
10-06-2014, 11:57 PM

This is an extremely optimistic assessment of Corgan's capacity for self-awareness circa 2000

themadcaplaughs
10-08-2014, 11:54 PM
It could have been a great opportunity to discuss where he wanted to go with the idea. Instead, he talks about how he wanted to use it to get back at the record label.

Mals Marola
10-09-2014, 04:43 AM
spam bots aside
anyone ever see a the Daft Punk cartoon movie Interstella 5555?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstella_5555:_The_5tory_of_the_5ecret_5tar_5ys tem
http://i.imgur.com/haGGb.jpg

think it was somehow inspired and related to the GATMOG cartoons?

pprrrooobably not.

but yeah, lord i love that thing

fuzzyroes
10-09-2014, 04:53 AM
I love that Daft Punk animation. So fantastic.

IWishIWasBlank
10-11-2014, 10:52 AM
A fucking Halloween Miracle this thread comes back after two years.

A fucking Halloween Miracle *I* came back after two years.

Pumpkins relapse: Almost as strong as Johnny's love for horse.

Kahlo
10-12-2014, 08:12 AM
fuck you IwishIwasblank - this site loves Jimmy and will not tolerate meanness >:(